PDA

View Full Version : TRU Midnight Madness CONFIRMED!!!

jedi master sal
06-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Mark your calendars if you already haven't for midnight July 26 (Friday going into Saturday) for this!

Okay first before everyone gets too excited, this will NOT be at every location. Check your local stores for details.

As some know, I've been pursuing my local store's participation in this. I finally got confirmation last night that they indeed plan on doing this and that other stores around the country will as well.

I've volunteered to be in Jedi costume and will be asking for local members of the 501st for their help as well. We are not getting anything for this mind you. In fact doing this does NOT guarantee that we will be ale to secure our toy wants early. However I will have my fiancee with me, who will be armed with a list and shopping cart that night to scarf up as much as she can that pertains to my list.

Anyway, no further details were given to me regarding anything special for that night, however the store manager DID elude to something special for that first night. Now this could just mean the "First Day of Issue" stickers on the cards. I did ask him about that and he said he couldn't say anything about that...yet. So, I'm inclined to believe this IS that special something, but perhaps there will be more. Since we know that TRU Germany has bigger plans including some other promotional items, it's likely, but not a given that U.S. stores will follow suit.

Folks, I can't say enough how much we NEED to support TRU. We need to have them around to keep Target and Wal*Mart "honest." Yes, I realize that TRU is a little more expensive, but not much more. And they're a toy store for gosh sakes. This will in all likelyhood be the last big hurrah for we SW collectors (live action TV show notwithstanding). I implore you that if you have a TRU close to you (I'm aware of gas prices and hence the need to shop somewhere else closer to save on gas) and that that TRU location is participating in Midnight madness (MM) that you take your business there.

Target NEVER does a MM (that I know of). WM does by default of their hours, but beyond the A-wing IIRC they have no other exclusive due out that day. TRU will have the Holo Greivous at least and possibly more.

Most respectfully posted,
-Sal

DarthQuack
06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Good to hear, I'll have to give mine a call!

Val Da Car
06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Mine just because a half/half (Babies R US & Toys R US).

The purple shirted Babies R US don't like the TRU ppl.

I hope they have one at this store cause it is so clean now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
All that stuff mentioned in the news article on the front page sounds pretty sweet. I would love to support them in all they're doing, but those $5 off coupons at Target really will go a long way . . . we'll see. If my TRU is opening at midnight, I may just go for the hell of it.

CaptainSolo1138
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I could care less. Further, I'd much rather take my business to a place like Target that actually has people working there in the event that I *GASP!* need help with something.

jedi master sal
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I may just go for the hell of it.

Look at this as the last opportunity to do something like this for a SW toy release. If the live action show ever gets done, there MAY be another, but doubtful it would garner such a huge response as it's not slated to be a movie as the Clone Wars movie is.

It's a chance to see happy mayhem as people scramble to get that figure or that ship, and all leave happy with totes full of goodies, even if some stock might have ran out.

For me this is going to be a huge day for vehicles. BMF; AT-TE; 2 Homing Spider Droids; Clone Starfighter (gawd the name escapes me...I'm getting old forgive me, heh heh). I'll get some of the figures, but I know they'll be in supply. It's really about the ships this time for me. I know I"m going to have to scramble for both the WM A-wing and Gunship, but I'm hoping other local collectors will help there.

Maradona
07-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I LOVE MIDNIGHT MADNESS and have the scars to prove it! But I'll be at Comic Con. Maybe I'll hit a local TRU out there (not Mission Bay, because it'll be a nightmare). Target has spoiled me with their coupon, though, and I suspect that when the film comes out, TRU will have a deal similar to May's Indy one (3 for the price of 2) during the week the film is released.

SirSteve
07-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Check the homepage for the official news and pictures of exclusives on the Toys 'R' Us Midnight Madness.

2-1B
07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I will never step foot in TRU again. What a dump that place turned into.

Phantom-like Menace
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I've been an advocate of support for TRU going way back, so I'm so happy to see there is going to be a big to do that there is no way I'm not going to be there.

I've got a friend who's celebrating one of those milestone birthdays on the 25th and that's going to suck away a big bit of my money for the month, then another major chunk is going in the form of an eye exam and new glasses. But I'm hoping, even if I have to tighten the belt for a couple of weeks, that I can get my two AT-TEs that night, and I'll get them at TRU if I get them at all.

I just can't understand the animosity toward TRU when we're the ones who have the power to make that store great again, not for them, but for us. I've said several times I don't give the proverbial rat's *** if they make a dime, but it turns out if they do we get what we want. Every time we support another store, we're basically guaranteeing diminishing returns on the hobby that some of us (those not complaining every day how much they hate the hobby and derive no pleasure from it, those who should "get a room" and make love with their misery in private) love.

And it's the V-19 Torrent, Sal.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Look at this as the last opportunity to do something like this for a SW toy release. If the live action show ever gets done, there MAY be another, but doubtful it would garner such a huge response as it's not slated to be a movie as the Clone Wars movie is.
Yeah, that's my feeling as well, even though none of us expected this one to happen anyway. In the (unlikely) event that my TRU is having a midnight sale, I will go and at least get Grievous. If not, I'll get him the next morning when it opens at 10.

As I said, I really truly appreciate all the hoopla they're doing. But when the Falcon is (supposedly) $180 there and $150 at Target, and I don't have an absolutely unlimited amount of money, it does make a difference. And then there's those coupons, which I plan on using with multiple $25 transactions, so that also helps go a long way. I'll have to take a closer look at what I plan on buying that day and how much money I have.

At any rate, I do think it would be fun to go and hang out with the other collectors. I went to the last two midnight Harry Potter releases, but I didn't buy the book there (good god, the lines . . .). I suppose it hinges on whether or not mine is opening at midnight and what my work schedule is (since I FINALLY got a summer job today).

Major Karr
07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
And then there's those coupons, which I plan on using with multiple $25 transactions, so that also helps go a long way.

The coupon is becoming invalid as of tonight, due to someone altering it by removing the toy wording and Hello Kitty picture, and then circulating it online.

Maradona
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
And then there's those coupons, which I plan on using with multiple $25 transactions, so that also helps go a long way.

The coupon is becoming invalid as of tonight, due to someone altering it by removing the toy wording and Hello Kitty picture, and then circulating it online.

Was this confirmed? I used one today.

jedi master sal
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
And it's the V-19 Torrent, Sal.:thumbsup:

Ah so it is. Thanks PLM! (Did you get your figures yet btw?) Let me know.

figrin bran
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Noooooo!!! I would hate for those Target coupons to become invalid.

Decisions, decisions...a few of us will be at Comic Con and as I'd rather not go to that TRU in San Diego for midnight madness, I might have to skip out early on that Friday to head back home. Or else I don't go for that Friday and stay in LA.

Phantom-like Menace
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Speaking of the V-19, I do want to get maybe two of those. Thankfully I have almost no interest in the figures for 7/26 since I'm going to be spending so much on vehicles.

(Did you get your figures yet btw?)

Not yet. I've gotten a ton of packages lately, but all thus far have been figures and accessories for the clone army.

JediTricks
07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
This is gonna be a toughy for me, I'm gonna be at SDCC and low on funds (that's what SDCC does best :p), plus there's a few evening things I wanted to see... drat!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Okay, with the confirmation that my TRU is having a midnight madness sale (here's the list (http://toysrusblog.typepad.com/storeList.html)), and the fact that Target will no longer accept the coupons, I will try to work my schedule so that I can make it to the sale. Any of the products that are too expensive compared to Target can wait until the morning, or a few days later.

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I am going to call my closest TRU, just for the heck of it. We used to have one in this town, but it closed...the closest one now is about an hour away.

I have a feeling it will be one of those gametime decisions on whether or not I make the trip. The WM here is 24 hours and the Target is practically right beside it, 5 minutes from my apartment. Since I will be dropping the money on the BMF and a few of the figures, I may have to just stay around here. It wouldn't make alot of sense to drive 2 hours round trip for stuff I can get 5 minutes away. But I will still call to see, I may be able to do it if I can get someone else to go and split the gas $$.

jedimastergeorge06
07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know how much the BMF will be so that i know how much to spend on it.
thanks

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know how much the BMF will be so that i know how much to spend on it.
thanks

<puts pinky finger to lip>

One-hundred fifty dollars!!

jedimastergeorge06
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks...lol.

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 05:51 PM
<puts pinky finger to lip>

One-hundred fifty dollars!!
Well done!

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Well done!

Thanks JT!!

*Now you won't owe me another compliment until 2012. :)

TeeEye7
07-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Today, I went to TRU for the first time in months and months. Still looked like nuclear winter was the order of the day. Mostly empty pegs except for the few, still-lingering figures from around Christmas time. At least the store looked cleaner for once.

At the front door, big signs touted Midnight Madness. I wonder what they expect to sell? I can't believe they're getting any new product. I'm still looking for 2-1B!

The only link I have to new product is a guy who has a local scapler shop and is a regular at Frankenstein's. How fun is that? :stupid: