PDA

View Full Version : New G.I. Joe Cartoon for 2009 - Now with more violence!

bigbarada
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
This is from HissTank.com:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/a-real-american-hero-4/new-gi-joe-animation-for-2009---holy-crap-7427/

Hasbro Marketing 2009 Sneak Peak and 2008 Exclusives Panel

Part 1: New G.I. Joe Animation for 2009.

G.I. Joe Absolute

Adult themed, PG-13
Highly detailed animation
Designed to bring adult fans back into the market
10 5 minute episodes, 1 10 minute season finale
No distribution decided upon yet.
Could be webisodes, could be tv special, could be DVD, or all 3.
Starts in first quarter 2009
NO LASERS. NO PARACHUTING.
Will have deaths.
Little to no blood (but, from what we've seen, that won't matter)
Focus on core early characters.
No Cobra La.

Producers: Sam Register Jaoquim Desantos
Writer: Warren Ellis
Lead Animator: Dave Johnson

1 minute promo animation shown. Breakdown:

Duke and Roadblock are running through the jungle being chased by cobra troopers. Being shot at. You see Roadblock from behind, running, he stops, turns around, and says "You want some of this!? Come on, come on!" and unloads his machine gun into the camera. Heavy sound of loud powerful gunfire, shell casings fly everywhere.

They continue on and take cover inside what looks like a Cobra bunker. Had a cobra symbol on building. Duke radios in for backup, says the LZ is hot. They return fire back and forth with the Cobra Troopers outside, who are moving in using real world cover fire formations.

Then, we pan up, and see the action from above, when you hear a sword bling. A Cobra Trooper looks up, and he sees Snake Eyes dropping down right on his head. Snake Eyes then proceeds to kick *** one by one using hand to hand combat and sword play.

We pan back into Duke and Roadblock, you hear grunts and bones cracking outside, and Duke asks "What the hell is going on out there?" Emphasis on "Hell". Pan back to Snake Eyes, who tosses one of his smaller knifes across the field at a trooper, lands right in the middle of his helmet, he falls. (Don't show the entry, but you get the point. (Fling, pan, hear the pop, heads looking up, falls slowly, etc).

Snake eyes then goes one on one with the last Trooper, flips him over, takes out his sword, thrusts down into the Trooper's chest, and TURNS IT. Stands up, puts sword back in its holder.

Duke and Roadblock come outside, and see all the Troopers dead. He gives a "whooo" type whistle. Roadblock then says "Ninja? I didn't know we had a Ninja." END SCENE.

This story will not be part of the 60 minute story in 2009. It is a stand alone scene they did to show the new tone of the series and what could be done animation and story wise.

They played it 3 times, and the crowd exploded every time. It really was what you've been waiting for from these childhood toy lines as an adult. As they described it in the panel, while you were playing with these toys as a kid, or even watching the shows and reading the comics back then, what we saw today is what we THOUGHT we saw back then. And what we expect, and why the new versions of the old stuff doesn't play with us now. But, this new direction, PG-13 based adult themed entertainment, should fill that gap, and will be focused upon in the upcoming years, for Joe and all brands it fits with. This GI Joe project is however the first of the new direction for Hasbro.

Characters shown:

Duke
Snake Eyes - Goggles
Tunnel Rat
Gung Ho - No chest out
Lady Jaye
Scarlett
Storm Shadow - mask, hood, mix between 2 styles.

Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness confirmed. Lady Jaye more like a Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica type role. Not major player. Cobra Commander is ruthless. Not a clown. Emphasized several times.

Cobra Commander being played by 80s cartoon voice of Tripwire, Charlie Adler.

Ninja moves based on real world techniques.

Real guns, real bullets. No parachuting out of planes right before they blow up. People will die. They said they thought about sniping a guy in a parachute on his way down who actually did make it out of a plane in time.

No direct benchmark for success, will include overall promotion, hits, feedback, news coverage, ratings, eventual DVD sales if sold, etc. But XYZ product making XYZ money doesn't need to happen to continue on, its a brand promotion tool.

Entertainment being done first, and well, to stand on it's own, with product to follow, rather than the reverse. This is first outing with that philosophy.

SHOWED A NEW FLAGG. Updated version, crowd applauded. 2 forward runways in front, all same sticker like applications, and updated but similar rest of body. (Animated version only)

Also, they specifically showed the morgue interior, from the FLAGG. Apparently that will be used a lot.

BOTTOM LINE: AWESOME. WHAT EVERY JOE FAN HAS ALWAYS WANTED.

HASBRO: - MORE PLEASE. (And do it for Transformers too).

Discuss!

If this is done right, this could be awesome! Bullets instead of lasers? Brutal killings? Where do I sign up?:thumbsup:

Beast
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Warren Ellis is writing it? Crazyness.

With him on Astonishing X-Men and now this, that's just wild.

DarthQuack
06-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Oh man....if this could open the door for a new USS Flagg down the road I will sh*t myself....

Beast
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh man....if this could open the door for a new USS Flagg down the road I will sh*t myself....
They teased at Joe Con that something "Big" was coming in 2009.

I would assume they're using the same mindset as they did with Star Wars.

Since the AT-TE is featured in the Clone Wars, they finally made it.

So I'm sure the USS Flagg is a definate possibility for release in 2009.

DarthQuack
06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I was wondering how that Con was....I didn't hear about it until today to be honest....was checking out some pictures at YoJoe....really makes me want to start getting more of the 25th anniversary line....everything looks awesome....and if a Flagg is coming? I have no doubt that would sell well. As long as the pricetag isn't too much, and they better keep it at 7ft long!

bigbarada
06-29-2008, 03:28 PM
If done right, this could make up for the movie which is most definitely going to suck.

Even when I was a kid, there were things about the cartoon that I thought were pretty stupid. The biggest one was that nobody ever died. Then there were the parachutes that popped out at the last second before jets blew up. Also the laser beams and brightly colored uniforms for the GI Joe troops were pretty lame, even to a ten year old. So this new show seems like it's going to be the GI Joe cartoon I always wanted to see.

bigbarada
07-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Here's an article talking about the cartoon. Apparently it's going to be webisodes that Hasbro is hoping will be picked up by Cartoon Network and eventually released on DVD. And if it's successful enough, then Hasbro hopes to do something similar with Transformers. I can't wait, this is going to be awesome!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/12843.html

So maybe this thread belongs in the TV section.

It's cool that Hasbro is starting to cater to the adult collector market as a separate entity. Too bad they aren't allowed to do something similar with Star Wars.

2-1B
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Complete sentences. In the next review. Please Hisstank.

Beast
07-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Here's an article talking about the cartoon. Apparently it's going to be webisodes that Hasbro is hoping will be picked up by Cartoon Network and eventually released on DVD. And if it's successful enough, then Hasbro hopes to do something similar with Transformers. I can't wait, this is going to be awesome!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/12843.html

So maybe this thread belongs in the TV section.

It's cool that Hasbro is starting to cater to the adult collector market as a separate entity. Too bad they aren't allowed to do something similar with Star Wars.
It's still sorta the same successful format that was done with Clone Wars.

AmanaMatt
07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
THis sounds really cool, and I was only a casual fan of the show.....but, I will check this out for sure!

tagmac
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Would love to see a video of that at some point. Sounds much better than that ridiculous-looking live-action movie we're getting.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Will Billy be involved? He rules.

Blue2th
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
There's a handheld shot of the video of "Resolute" at Hisstank now. Looks pretty cool! :thumbsup:

http://www.hisstank.com/

bigbarada
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
There's a handheld shot of the video of "Resolute" at Hisstank now. Looks pretty cool! :thumbsup:

http://www.hisstank.com/

That does look awesome, my only complaint is that I want MORE!

Here's the direct Youtube link, for when it drops off the Hisstank front page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITV5dmBl3k

Blue2th
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
That does look awesome, my only complaint is that I want MORE!

Here's the direct Youtube link, for when it drops off the Hisstank front page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITV5dmBl3k

That's cool, you can view it in full screen.

So I'm guessing that was Duke and Roadblock? They look just like their earlier counterparts, as well as the Cobra Troopers. That's cool they are doing it that way for character recognition.

Who was the Ninja? Snake Eyes? He looked like he had on a Stormshadow outfit though.

bigbarada
08-07-2008, 01:22 PM
That's cool, you can view it in full screen.

So I'm guessing that was Duke and Roadblock? They look just like their earlier counterparts, as well as the Cobra Troopers. That's cool they are doing it that way for character recognition.

Who was the Ninja? Snake Eyes? He looked like he had on a Stormshadow outfit though.

Yeah that was Snake Eyes, you can check out the character designs here:
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/a-real-american-hero-4/gi-joe-resolute-character-images-clear-and-large-7520/

I'm really liking the designs. It seems like they updated everyone with modern military gear while preserving the recognizability of the characters. I can't wait for this and, unless I hear some absolutely stellar reviews, I'll just skip the live-action movie completely.

Blue2th
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah that was Snake Eyes, you can check out the character designs here:
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/a-real-american-hero-4/gi-joe-resolute-character-images-clear-and-large-7520/

I'm really liking the designs. It seems like they updated everyone with modern military gear while preserving the recognizability of the characters. I can't wait for this and, unless I hear some absolutely stellar reviews, I'll just skip the live-action movie completely.

Same here, I really like the drawing technique. Animation for adults! I love it! Could it be that the 2-D cartoon is better than the movie? Where have we seen that happen before?

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
The only major design differences are Destro has a bionic right arm, and Stalker has dreadlocks.

bigbarada
08-07-2008, 04:12 PM
The only major design differences are Destro has a bionic right arm, and Stalker has dreadlocks.

I'm not a huge fan of Stalker's dreads, but there are "relaxed standards" for the high level Special Forces, so it's not completely unrealistic.

Destro's bionic arm doesnt' really bother me either, since he was never the most realistic character in the cartoon. I would prefer to see him with an immobile sculpted face, though, and not just metal skin like in the cartoon. Y'know what you would expect to see from a guy wearing a metal mask. And before you can say that he needs realistic facial expressions to be an effective villian, then I have two words for you: Darth Vader.:p

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I wasn't complaining. I think they both look pretty cool. I don't at all mind updating the looks, since this is a new continuity. (It's actually better than the early 1990s, when the established Zartan started sporting a pink mohawk, Firefly wore green armor with what looked like a baseball cap, and Dr Mindbender and Scarlett were both competing to see who could come up with the most godawfully ugly yellow armor.)

bigbarada
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I wasn't complaining. I think they both look pretty cool. I don't at all mind updating the looks, since this is a new continuity. (It's actually better than the early 1990s, when the established Zartan started sporting a pink mohawk, Firefly wore green armor with what looked like a baseball cap, and Dr Mindbender and Scarlett were both competing to see who could come up with the most godawfully ugly yellow armor.)

Yeah, most of the redesigns from the 90s were pretty awful and I didn't think you were complaining. But if you go on Hisstank's forums you'll read several people just ripping this cartoon apart because it's not a perfect continuation of the Sunbow cartoon. That was never going to happen, everyone should have realized that.

El Chuxter
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
In case anyone wants to see how Resolute Cobra Commander looks, stop by your local Target. He's one of three Resolute figures shipping now, and the only one of those three who doesn't appear in the trailer/pilot. He's cooler than a bag of chips wrapped in a ShamWow fried in bacon fat. :love:

pbarnard
12-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, most of the redesigns from the 90s were pretty awful and I didn't think you were complaining. But if you go on Hisstank's forums you'll read several people just ripping this cartoon apart because it's not a perfect continuation of the Sunbow cartoon. That was never going to happen, everyone should have realized that.

But don't ever question the lameness that was Larry Hamma or you'll get really ripped. Of course, than everyone says "it's your joe-verse, do what you want". :upset:

It's just another sign that a major show supporting the line isn't viable because this is going to be web only. They've saturated what they can, don't push it too far.

Blue2th
12-13-2008, 12:31 AM
In case anyone wants to see how Resolute Cobra Commander looks, stop by your local Target. He's one of three Resolute figures shipping now, and the only one of those three who doesn't appear in the trailer/pilot. He's cooler than a bag of chips wrapped in a ShamWow fried in bacon fat. :love:

Found a pic of him at Hisstank wow! http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=2946

Here's also one at Smalljoes: http://smalljoes.com/images_gijoe/resolutecobracom_l.jpg

El Chuxter
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
This sorta came out of the blue with no confirmation yet from Hasbro, but check out midnight on April 25.

http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html

pbarnard
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
This sorta came out of the blue with no confirmation yet from Hasbro, but check out midnight on April 25.

The howling on the Joe boards is already begun. Everything from bad time, no hype, kids can't watch it. Just go hate both things and off yourselves. They're starting to take up the oxygen meant for the rest of us.

bigbarada
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Interesting, does the (p) stand for pilot? Either way, it couldn't hurt to tune in and see what comes on. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

BTW, I can't believe they played The Room on March 31st and I missed it.:upset:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting, does the (p) stand for pilot? Either way, it couldn't hurt to tune in and see what comes on. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Wow, that's awesome about The Room! I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet so I guess I don't feel like I missed anything. It looks like it was one of their April Fools pranks or something.

I also see that they're playing The Clone Wars on there on Saturdays, which could be a good way to expand the audience.

bigbarada
04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow, that's awesome about The Room! I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet so I guess I don't feel like I missed anything. It looks like it was one of their April Fools pranks or something.

I also see that they're playing The Clone Wars on there on Saturdays, which could be a good way to expand the audience.

Well, I've seen Youtube clips of The Room and heard how bad it is. So I was hoping to get a chance to watch it for free and not have to actually pay for it.

figrin bran
04-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Finally!!!! I was starting to worry that Resolute wouldn't start until after the movie.

jediguy
04-04-2009, 08:51 AM

yes, that started with the first episode last year in October

mtriv73
04-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Is that the, well, um...naughty movie that my DVR recorded when it was supposed to be recording robot chicken? If so that explains a lot. Thursday night I was watching a bunch of old episodes that were recorded and suddenly this movie is on with black boxes covering up half of the screen. Naturally, my wife picks that time to walk into the room and asks what in the world I'd recorded. I never checked the date but an April fools prank explains a lot.

Ji'dai
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
So what is this "The Room?"

I'll have to remember to check my sat guide and set it to record the entire GI Joe series, otherwise I'll forget.

If the new cartoon features captured Joes fighting to the death in gladiatorial combat in some kind of life-size video game arena, I'm there!

bigbarada
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
So what is this "The Room?"

It's one of those movies that is sooooo bad that it's actually developed a huge cult following. Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible directing... this movie has it all! :D

Here's the trailer, you can tell that the filmmakers don't even know what to make of this movie. They try to simultaneously market it as a drama AND a dark comedy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

El Chuxter
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
If the new cartoon features captured Joes fighting to the death in gladiatorial combat in some kind of life-size video game arena, I'm there!

Rumor is at least one Joe bites it within the first five minutes. Most speculation I've heard points to Zap or Airborne, since their 25th Anniversary figures were initially listed as "Omega Force," the working title for Resolute.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
yes, that started with the first episode last year in October
I was talking about them showing it on Adult Swim. You're thinking of Cartoon Network replaying it on Saturday mornings, which they didn't even do until a few episodes in for some reaon. It's new to Adult Swim as of about a month ago or so.

Here's the trailer, you can tell that the filmmakers don't even know what to make of this movie. They try to simultaneously market it as a drama AND a dark comedy:
Not entirely true. It seems that Tommy Wiseau, the director and star, seriously wanted to make it a drama but was just so inept in every way that it eventually became a so-bad-it's-good cult hit. At this point, he started saying that he always intended it to be a comedy. Here (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246031,00.html) is where I first heard of it, and it's a great primer to it all.

Ji'dai
04-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Hopefully Zap gets it and not Airborne. I want to see Airborne and Candy Appel fall in love all over again.

jediguy
04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
[quote=Mr. JabbaJohnL;672355]I was talking about them showing it on Adult Swim. You're thinking of Cartoon Network replaying it on Saturday mornings, which they didn't even do until a few episodes in for some reason. It's new to Adult Swim as of about a month ago or so./quote]

gotcha, sorry about the confusion :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Wasn't it Ripcord who fell in love with Candy "Bongo the Balloon Bear" Appel?

Ji'dai
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
It was Ripcord! I got him and Airborne confused. Both were intro'd in the comic only a month apart.

El Chuxter
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
He is awesome for admitting his love for a bear. That's why he loved her--it was the suit.

Ji'dai
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, who wouldn't love the bear suit?

What I liked was how they began drawing Candy as this wholesome chick with short curly hair and then transformed her to a leather mini-skirted vixen in just a few issues.

El Chuxter
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I guess when you learn that evil is in your veins, you dress the part?

Ji'dai
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Candy's not evil! She was just a little miffed that her boyfriend and his motor pool pals shot up her dad's place.

The show is now popping up in my satellite TV guide. I've got "G.I. Joe: Resolute" scheduled to record at midnight on Saturday, April 25 on Cartoon Network. The show is an hour and a half?

I also found an hour-long special that airs on Friday, April 24 at 9 pm EST on Cartoon Network. It's simply titled "G.I. Joe" and it's supposed to be animated, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe a history of the toy and all the comics, books, TV shows and movies it spawned?

El Chuxter
04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
One of the Adult Swim "bumpers" a couple of nights ago referred to "A show that may or may not debut on April 25." Not sure if it was Resolute, but not sure what else it could be.

I'm almost afraid this is going to wind up being a joke and they'll air the 1986 movie instead.

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
One of the Adult Swim "bumpers" a couple of nights ago referred to "A show that may or may not debut on April 25." Not sure if it was Resolute, but not sure what else it could be.

I'm almost afraid this is going to wind up being a joke and they'll air the 1986 movie instead.

Cobra la-la-la-la!!!! :thumbsup:

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsid=AA5F5416-D56F-E112-4B332FB50BEBB148

There's the skinny. Starts online, ends on Adult Swim.

El Chuxter
04-16-2009, 03:18 PM
And they're back to the Roadblock name. Do they even know their own stance on that name anymore?

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
And they're back to the Roadblock name. Do they even know their own stance on that name anymore?

If it is "classic" than they go with RB. If it is new, they go with HD. Since they call this one a classically based, its RB. This has been adressed in the Joe Q&As.

El Chuxter
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
But the IDW comic is classically-based. Or so it would seem to me, since it's all 1980s characters in a new setting (much like Resolute).

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
The simplest answer is in the green lighting. Roadblock was in the 25th. Resolute was greenlighted during the 25th. IDW is/was to be the paid advertisement in the comics going forward. So that makes it Heavy Duty.

Remember, GI Joe is just a bunch of trademarked character names at the end of the day for Hasbro, it is not a continuity or a story. The comics, cartoons, even the god forsaken movie are just paid advertisements for the trade marked names.

El Chuxter
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Since this is airing in installments online this week and on TV all at once next weekend, I just started a spoiler-laden thread under the TV forum, in case anyone wants to wait to see it but wants to continuing speculating.

It is well worth the wait. I am going to legally change my middle name to Resolute.

DarthQuack
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
It's headed to DVD!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Resolute-DVDs-Announced/12764

:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Cool. I wonder if there'll be a blu-ray edition. I'd like to delete the HD recording I have of this movie from my DVR and free up some space.