PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2008, 11:31 PM
It seems that collectors -- especially those who collect multiple lines -- must have some sort of disposable income (or maybe they just don't eat much). So, what do you do as your line of work?

As for me, I currently don't have a job; I'm still looking for one in the few weeks before I head off to college. I pay for Star Wars stuff mostly through my allowance, which is $10 a week and will likely end once I move to the dorms (though I don't have to pay for my own college, so that's good). I also use birthday money and whatnot, and currently have a nice chunk of change for July 26 (but not much for after that). I worked at Target last year and as a paper carrier a few years ago. And I'll be studying film and hopefully working in that field after college.

What about the rest of you?

TeeEye7
06-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Technical Investigator. More popularly known as a crime scene investigator.

Blood 'n' guts almost every night in my county, kiddies! :yes:

(The county I work for is about the size of the state of Massachusetts)

Disposable income? What's that?

Food, gas, utilities, mortgage, college tuition......

Neuroleptic
06-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Certified Medication Aid in a dementia unit in a nursing home. And let me tell you, it's a mad mad world out there people.

I make about 10.00 an hour wich mostly gets eaten up by gass (50$ a week. I live far from work) day care (80 to $100 dollars a week depending on my scedual) and health insurance ($250 a month). I sat down and figured out that after paying all those things I make about $140 bucks a pay check, which gose to the house payment since we pay twice a month when my pay check comes in.

Disposable income comes from the wife who thankfuly makes more than me. I usualy limit myself to about 20 bucks a month.

I am currently looking into going back to school to become a history (and if possible also an art) teacher. Out here in Kansas it's probably the best paying job outside of something in politics or a doctor.

Kidhuman
06-29-2008, 12:38 AM
I work tech support for Dish NEtwork. The base pay is good, but they offer unlimited OT which I usually take advantage of. I usually work 10 hours a week, but lately it has been alot more and that helps feed the beast.

sith_killer_99
06-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Active Duty Army Staff Sergeant (E-6) base pay $3,158.70 per month, not including allowances. Add 294.43 a month for BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) and another $1,000 a month for BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing). That works out to about $4453.13 a month before taxes. However taxes only come out of base pay, BAS and BAH are tax free.

I should pin on E-7 (Sergeant First Class) soon. That will bump my base pay up to $3592.50 per month and add a little to my BAH.

Of course BAH is also based upon the area where you live, here in Texas (Ft. Hood) I get about $1,000 per month. Plus medical and dental and 30 days paid vacation per year.

I guess we're doing okay, I make enough to support a family of three (including myself), pay the bills, put some away, and spend a little here and there on entertainment and hobbies.

Aside from the generic label of "Active Duty Army" my MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) or "job" is 68A (Biomedical Equipment Technician). I maintain and repair medical equipment for the Army. Well, now days I'm more of a pencil pusher who rarely gets to work on equipment. The higher up you go the less you get to work directly in your specialty.

Though I do get to break away and get my hands dirty from time to time, not too many people get to tell me what to do in my own maintenance shop! LOL:D

stillakid
06-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Currently work as a Videographer in Los Angeles (or wherever I'm asked to travel in the world) primarily shooting behind-the-scenes and interviews on films for promotion and DVD use. I also shoot other broadcast, corporate, and industrial projects on occasion.

There is no set schedule so there is no set budget or anticipated weekly/yearly income. Typical yearly income though tends to sit between $85,000 and $120,000 depending on a ton of variables.

I also have written a book that was published a couple of weeks ago, but have no idea what income will come of that.

DarthQuack
06-29-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm a technical director/director for a 24-hour local news station. I will have been here 6 years come this August. I was an audio operator/master control operator the first 5.5 years. The pay isn't nearly enough of course, but free digital cable and free internet are very nice perks. I get by for now, just having paid off my car, with my school loans my next project to knock out of the way. That I want done by the time I'm 30(2 years away) and then I want to get a house and figure out where I want to be. Going to try to limit my spending as much as possible.

sergiurusu
06-29-2008, 04:32 AM
University assistant professor Ph.D. I'm also a radio programmer at a local radio station - airplaying ambient music

Tycho
06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
After college I started a political consulting business working mostly with land-use issues for developers that wanted to go through the city permit process. I'd made sure I interned for the majority of elected officials in San Diego at the time. I also interned for the courts and business organizations.

Then I got elected to local office and expanded my experience working on transit planning, local police issues, park and recreation projects, the library system, student issues at the university, etc.

Meanwhile, all this paid sporadically or not-at-all and I got my state and federal licenses that I needed to help with private retirement planning.

Both my parents died during the course of this time, and I learned I'd inherited a potentially terminal illness - along with their real estate and retirement planning. Thus I never have to work again if I live comfortably, but not outlandishly (and generally don't marry a gold-digger and add expenses with little rugrats who also would share a strong potential to inherit my illness and suffer as well).

With my hospitalization and increasing medical issues proving inconvenient, I dropped out of a community service-oriented life for the time being, and I used my free time to write an epic fictional novel which has absolutely nothing to do with this. I am working on getting published and then hope for a movie deal if I live that long.

If I don't die and I'm successful, I may find myself becoming an author, but that's premature to run with that at the time being. While I inherited property, I can't live in the houses AND have a dependable income, so the goal I'm very consumed with is being able add additional income in order to buy my own house in which to live and display my collection.

jedi master sal
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Damn sk99, had I known the military was going to pay so well, I'd have stayed in it....The benefits are awesome o course, and damn 30 paid days off. I don't recall it being anywhere near that amount when I was in. Then again I was only in for 5 years and didn't yet attain E-6.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I am a high school teacher. I currently teach US History and Civics.

Jargo
06-29-2008, 01:30 PM
hehehehehehehe shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

TeeEye7
06-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I also have written a book that was published a couple of weeks ago.....

Details, please! :yes: You can't tease us like that!

Tycho
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I am a high school teacher. I currently teach US History and Civics.

I loved those subjects in school. I was an "A student," but most-so in those areas because I had so much interest. It cumulated in me majoring in political science and economics in college.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I loved those subjects in school. I was an "A student," but most-so in those areas because I had so much interest. It cumulated in me majoring in political science and economics in college.

I was the same way when I was in high school and college. I was involved in the SGA and the local history club.

sith_killer_99
06-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn sk99, had I known the military was going to pay so well, I'd have stayed in it....The benefits are awesome o course, and damn 30 paid days off. I don't recall it being anywhere near that amount when I was in. Then again I was only in for 5 years and didn't yet attain E-6.

Well the "leave" we earn is calculated at 2.5 days per month, which works out to 30 days a year. It's the same for everyone across the board Officer or Enlisted regardless of rank. As far as I know it has been like that since 1993 at least.

Admittedly the pay has gone way up since I joined...PVT (E-1) base pay was less than $900.00 per month before taxes way back then. Annual pay raises, time in service pay raises and a few "targeted pay raises" have all helped. The benefits (medical, dental, etc.) are really good and with a family it makes a huge difference in terms of pay compensation.

I am just 5 years away from retirement. Once I retire I will be making 1/2 of my base pay each month. By then my monthly retirement should be around $2,500 a month. Not quite enough to "live" on, but plenty to supplement my income and allow me live live well regardless of what kind of job I take when I retire.

I will have my Masters in Political Science before I retire. Paid for by Uncle Sam. I want to take a job teaching High School (Troops to Teachers) right after I get out, while working my way into local Government (City Council) then State Government (State Rep.) and finally a U.S. Congressional seat (Colorado's 7th District). My goal is to be in Congress within 7 years after I retire, I will be 45 at that point.

Beyond that I have no other real political ambitions, maybe U.S. Senate, but it's a long shot...a real long shot. That doesn't mean I won't run.:D

Tycho
06-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd trust Sith_Killer99 enough to vote for him. I don't always agree with him (like when I'm right and he's wrong) but I believe he means well and thinks things through very clearly. I hope he could be the type whom "the system" will never corrupt. But you can't tell until you arrive there. Hold on to "the Light Side of the Force" buddy.

Neuroleptic
06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Guess I now have a name to write in the blank spot on the ballot for president during the next election.

Sith_Killer_99
with darth vader as his vice president.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Currently work as a Videographer in Los Angeles (or wherever I'm asked to travel in the world) primarily shooting behind-the-scenes and interviews on films for promotion and DVD use. I also shoot other broadcast, corporate, and industrial projects on occasion.

I also have written a book that was published a couple of weeks ago, but have no idea what income will come of that.Two occupations to be jealous of, stilla. Let me know the title/author of your book, so's I can add it to my got-to-read-it list! (can't seem to find it under "Kid, Still A." :p ) PM me! (I won't tell :scoutshonor: )

I won't go so far as to post my salary scale here, but I have just finished my sixth year "learning the English to skule kidz," as I believe my Profile here says (high school English at a great place; but I also have credentials in Social Science and Business Admin.). I will receive my final check of the '07-'08 school year in two days, so that'll have to last the rest of the summer (I am notoriously miserly, so I plan for this every year, earning 10 paychecks from Jan. - Dec.). I intend to start my own book that I've had outlines and research on for almost 15 years (I'll let everyone here know when [yeah, you heard me right :arrogant: :pleased: ] I'm published) in July (also two days from now).

Darth Jax
06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
i'm an eye doc, but i'd trade places with KH if it means i only have to work 10 hours a week.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I work for an RV manufactuer. The money is great when things are going well. Right now, with gas and the economy the way it is, the money is only decent. Don't get me wrong, I'm still making enough to get by, but I enjoy the extra I have when things are booming.

I enjoy my job though. Alot of my good friends work there, and we have alot of fun doing all kinds of crazy things to make the day go by fast.

sith_killer_99
06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
with darth vader as his vice president

LOL, I have a T-Shirt with Darth Vader on it, the caption says "Darth Vader for President '08....take a walk on the Dark Side". It's my favorite shirt!:yes:

JimJamBonds
06-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I work for a wine and liquor distributor where I deal with the point of sale, ie anything promotional that is given away to bars and stores.

TeeEye7
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I think you just got mabs' attention! ;)

JimJamBonds
07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
I think you just got mabs' attention! ;)

Sadly I don't get/have any product samples.

TeeEye7
07-01-2008, 02:05 AM
I think you just lost mabs' attention. :D

Maradona
07-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Confucius tells us: "When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life." He may not have said it quite like that, but these words are generally attributed to him. By this reckoning, I have not worked since 2001, when I first became a high school English teacher.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Confucius tells us: "When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life." He may not have said it quite like that, but these words are generally attributed to him. By this reckoning, I have not worked since 2001, when I first became a high school English teacher.

I know that feeling. That is how I felt when I was a Marine.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Sadly I don't get/have any product samples.But you DO know where to steal them from... :rolleyes:

Confucius tells us: "When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life." He may not have said it quite like that, but these words are generally attributed to him. By this reckoning, I have not worked since 2001, when I first became a high school English teacher.Actually, I researched it, and Confucius was the first person to 'Vogue' it. :strikeapose: :lipsrsealed:

Lots (a good, clear, and specific word :p) of English teachers here, eh?

CaptainSolo1138
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I work in the IT department at Central Michigan University. I'm a student employee and in charge of (currently) two other students. I graduate in December with a double major in history and social studies and a teaching certification.

jamesbondo07
07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I am a programmer/analyst for Hamilton Communications. My wife is a heart surgery nurse. Both of us have good jobs. Helps support my addiction to collecting. :thumbsup:

Maradona
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Lots (a good, clear, and specific word :p) of English teachers here, eh?

A favorite is when people write "alot" as if it's one word. It's even better when their spell check corrects it to allot and they turn in essays that have sentences such as: "There were allot of things that happened to Romeo in Romeo and Juliet." These never get old to me. Maybe someday I'll grow bitter like many of the people in the field. Until then, I'll keep having allot of fun...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
A favorite is when people write "alot" as if it's one word. It's even better when their spell check corrects it to allot and they turn in essays that have sentences such as: "There were allot of things that happened to Romeo in Romeo and Juliet." These never get old to me. Maybe someday I'll grow bitter like many of the people in the field. Until then, I'll keep having allot of fun...

An English teacher in our high school who had the reputation for being a kook, penciled in on the bumper of his woody wagon, "A Lot is TWO WORDS" because he apparently got sick of writing that on his papers.

I too have followed the teaching route but didn't major in secondary education, but rather elementary (maybe I felt comfortable at being their education level :o ). I have completed my 3rd year of teaching (TENURE!!! Now I won't get fired for hitting the bastages) and have taught the following 5th grade, then 4th, back to 5th, and next year to 4th. (my head is dizzy from typing that).

Maradona
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
An English teacher in our high school who had the reputation for being a kook, penciled in on the bumper of his woody wagon, "A Lot is TWO WORDS" because he apparently got sick of writing that on his papers.

I too have followed the teaching route but didn't major in secondary education, but rather elementary (maybe I felt comfortable at being their education level :o ). I have completed my 3rd year of teaching (TENURE!!! Now I won't get fired for hitting the bastages) and have taught the following 5th grade, then 4th, back to 5th, and next year to 4th. (my head is dizzy from typing that).

I've taught grades 9-12, but I prefer 11 and 12, which I taught last year and will teach again in the fall. I didn't major in secondary education. I was a literature major, then got a credential in English and a master's in educational foundations. The first group of students I had are now the age I was when they were my students. Many keep in touch, some have gotten married and become parents (though not always in that order). This racket really makes you part of people's lives.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I believe my official title is "Accounting Technician". I received a master's degree in math and never took any accounting classes until a couple years after college when I took a basic accounting class, a computer accounting class, and a payroll class at the local tech school. It was over two years after college when I finally got a job in the accounting office at Wal-Mart when it opened here. That was mostly just counting money. Over two years later I got my current job and have been there nearly ten years. I reconcile the bank statements and the daily sales. I use Excel and Access a lot to run queries and create reports. I spent a year in the IT department, but it wasn't something I was cut out for. However, it has come in useful back in the accounting department because I can do a lot of stuff so that they don't have to rely on the IT department.

About 5 years ago I finally moved out of my parents' house and bought a house of my own. At this point, I am now making over twice what I was making when I started this job. With the economy not doing as well, I may not get as big of a raise this year, and my 5 year ARM is set to adjust at the end of the year on my home loan. So, my house payments will definitely be going up, I just don't know by how much or what I will be paying should I refinance. I am also part of the Exxon Valdez class action suit, and I was hoping that the Supreme Court wouldn't reduce the punitive damages. I'll still be getting a welcome influx of money but not near as much as what I was hoping for. I'd like to have a bit more of a financial cushion in case I need to get a new car. I have an 18 year old Honda Civic. With my house payments and my Star Wars collection, I don't save as much as I should be able to.

JimJamBonds
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Sadly I don't get/have any product samples.

But you DO know where to steal them from... :rolleyes:

That is kept in a sepearte building which is about a 35 min drive from where I am. There is a very limited amount of wine that is kept by me... maybe 4-5 cases tops. I do handle all the t-shirts, sweatshirts, mirrors, neon's etc. if that counts for anything.

bobafrett
07-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I assemble bikes, furniture, displays, grills for Wal-Mart. My second job is pizza delivery, though I might look to get rid of that seeing as the gas prices just don't mak it a money maker for me anymore.

JetsAndHeels
07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm an architect.

Has anyone seen the latest addition to the Gugenheim? Yeah, I did that...and it really didn't take that long either.

Tycho
07-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm an architect.

I thought you'd just said you were an American History teacher and I'd just related how much I admired that? Both are cool occupations though.

Exhaust Port
07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Airline captain. Average about 15 days off a month which sounds like a lot on paper but it never seems to be that. The time away from home gets a bit tough at times especially now that I'm married. For the second time in my career the industry is taking a huge dump which is dramatically (again) hitting this industry. Layoffs, concessions, bankruptcies, mergers, etc. Right now I just feel lucky to have a job. Life is on hold in a lot of ways while we sit and watch to see what's left after the dust settles. It took 6+ years but pay isn't bad with it falling between $80k-$100k.

TeeEye7
07-04-2008, 09:57 PM
EP: What equipment do you fly?

Years ago I was an Airport Operations Agent (some title, huh? Grunt was more like it.) for American at BFL. We ran DC-9s out of our station.

Exhaust Port
07-04-2008, 10:24 PM
ep: What Equipment Do You Fly?

....erj....

TeeEye7
07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Cool! :yes:

Exhaust Port
07-05-2008, 12:15 AM
That's the one, minus the French livery. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2008, 10:46 AM
....erj....I thought this was some intelligible uncertainty, like "urm," "uh," or "hmm," but apparently it's some intelligible jargon instead! ;)

And I forgot to mention my second job: billionaire playboy/philantropist. :lipsrsealed:

TeeEye7
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
That's the one, minus the French livery. :)

Well.....it was the first photo I googled up so I could show everyone else. Wasn't exactly my choice, either, but I was pressed for time (had to go to work). At least the flight crew isn't hanging white flags out of the window! lol

Exhaust Port
07-06-2008, 11:26 AM
apparently it's some intelligible jargon instead! ;)

That's all my job is. :D

mtriv73
07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm a government contractor doing basic research to help design future generations of vaccines against HIV. My lab is specifically looking at the CD8 T-cell mediated arm of the immune response and trying to determine why it doesn't clear this virus as it does with many infections. We want to see if there is some magic threshhold of cells that can prevent infection entirely or at least blunt peak viremia allowing conservation of most of the CD4+ population-thus leading to a better outcome for the patient. In "Star Wars" style, I'm doing this with clones. I isolate CD8 T-cells that are able to recognize and kill virus infected cells by a process called cloning that does not even faintly resemble what they did with Dolly or on Kamino. We end up with billions of identical cells which all recognize the same protein from the virus. They can then be put back into the subject to see if they do their job. Sounds easy, but because of a lot of things I don't want to get into here, it will probably keep me busy the rest of my career. It's fun work though and I get to play with lasers all day (in our flow cytometers.) Hopefully we'll help make a big difference some day.

JetsAndHeels
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I thought you'd just said you were an American History teacher and I'd just related how much I admired that?

I am indeed a teacher, Tycho. The architect thing was a line from George on Seinfeld.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Today I "officially" started at the King Soopers (Krogers-owned Colorado grocery store) with several hours of computer-based training. I go back tomorrow for more. Ah well, money is money.

Tycho
07-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Today I "officially" started at the grocery store) with several hours of computer-based training.

So you're working with the Apples? :thumbsup:

(that was a joke on the behalf of the computer company)

Congratulations JabbaJohn.

bigbarada
07-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Technically, I'm a Graphic Designer, with a reluctant specialization in webpage design. I'd much rather be doing something print media related, since I'm tired of sacrificing quality for optimization; but it's steady work. However, it's mostly freelance, so I sometimes have to supplement my income with roof construction or farm work.

I've taken up photography as a hobby, so hopefully I'll be able to make money doing that someday:

Tycho
07-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Cool photos, BigB. Where were you? Narnia? We accept a slight tangent to this thread for BigB to insert photo captions because they are nice shots, Bro!

bigbarada
07-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Cool photos, BigB. Where were you? Narnia? We accept a slight tangent to this thread for BigB to insert photo captions because they are nice shots, Bro!

Close, I was in London, England. The female statue is from Buckingham Palace and the lion is the South Bank Lion which was across the river (if you ever watched 28 Days Later, that lion statue is easy to spot at the beginning of the movie). We also got to see Tower Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, the House of Parliament and Big Ben among other sites.

Matt fought in London on June 7th and he got me a press pass to photograph his fight (unfortunately he injured his knee and lost). So, a buddy and I did a little sight seeing before coming home. I guess being a webmaster has its perks sometimes.;)

Tycho
07-08-2008, 05:05 AM
That's awesome BigB. Thanks for sharing? First, second, third time in England for you?

It's pretty fascinating. I've never thought I've had enough time to spend there myself. It's always "a stop" on the way through mainland Europe for me.

Phantom-like Menace
07-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I work night audit at a Comfort Inn. It's guaranteed forty hours a week, and I keep getting overtime.

And on paper I'm employed by Cinnabon at the mall during the day, but I get maybe four hours every two or three weeks there if I'm lucky. It might pick back up for the holiday season, and I could hopefully get up to thirty-two hours a week there for a few months.

Unfortunately, a lot (yes--two words) of my money is going to clearing debt (only about $1800 left!), and then I'm saving up to either study in Spain or teach English in Spain (depending on whether or not I try to go through the University of West Florida or on my own).

It is funny that quite a few of us sling the English. Maybe that's why I credit SSG with having little or no English as written for text messages.

bigbarada
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
That's awesome BigB. Thanks for sharing? First, second, third time in England for you?

It's pretty fascinating. I've never thought I've had enough time to spend there myself. It's always "a stop" on the way through mainland Europe for me.

It was my first time in England, although I have been to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Bosnia and Croatia before (and if we're counting airports, then Ireland too); but that was when I was in the Army, so this trip was a completely different experience. And, aside from the roads, there was almost no "culture shock" when I was in London, but that was probably because of the lack of a language barrier.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I poop and get paid for it. It's a nice gig.

Tycho
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I poop and get paid for it. It's a nice gig.

Do you have an opening for someone who vomits a lot? I'm really good at that.

You wouldn't believe my incredible ability to aim, now. It's perfected!

DarthQuack
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I'd like to pick up a 2nd job for my days, after working 3am-noon, I find myself bored all day sitting on the computer and watching TV, I don't take naps cause they just mess me up for the rest of the day and I go to bed in the 8 o'clock hour, so any advice would be helpful! I'd like to stay away from retail if at all possible.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd like to pick up a 2nd job for my days, after working 3am-noon, I find myself bored all day sitting on the computer and watching TV, I don't take naps cause they just mess me up for the rest of the day and I go to bed in the 8 o'clock hour, so any advice would be helpful! I'd like to stay away from retail if at all possible.While I left that field due to some issues, try the hotel industry. It's basically a 24/7 job, as someone needs to be there every time of the day. Night bellman/driver/front desk/auditor/housekeeper/security are some possibilities.

CaptainSolo1138
07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
In a month and a half I will be a (student) teacher.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
In a month and a half I will be a (student) teacher.I've been there. It wasn't as bad as others told me, but I had to do much of the work myself before I even knew what class/master teacher would let me in. :I'llhuffandI'llpuff: Good luck, Mr. Cappy (or is that Mr. 1138? :rolleyes: )!

Tycho
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I was a TA in college for 1 semester (for Political Science).

I absolutely hated grading papers and reading the same thing over-and-over again.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I was a TA in college for 1 semester (for Political Science).

I absolutely hated grading papers and reading the same thing over-and-over again.I made a giant fake coin for my students, with "good grade" and "bad grade" written on the two sides as a joke. None of the students liked it at all. But that's what a teacher does: grade. It's really not as bad as it seems, unless you let it gitcha down.

Tycho
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I let it get me down. Especially since you don't use a seating chart at a college level class, so I was left with far fewer opportunities to pick out lady students to whom I could offer extra credit opportunities to, in order to properly exploit my position.

It didn't turn out like I thought it would.

I actually thought I might love to teach if I could adapt my own curriculum - maybe for younger students who might be more impressionable and not already set in their beliefs and positions.

Having been a Big Brother, I value the opportunity to positively influence youths! It's greatly rewarding to teach them to care about things and plan out a way to define themselves in this world.

College seemed a lot about "well I paid to get credit for these units so that I can then get credit for a degree." At least where teaching assistants were employed, it was all for general education coursework, not specializing classes where those really passionate about the subject matter would participate.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I guess college would be quite different than high school, grading-wise. I'm going to stay away from the "seating chart" issue.

Maradona
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I made a giant fake coin for my students, with "good grade" and "bad grade" written on the two sides as a joke. None of the students liked it at all. But that's what a teacher does: grade. It's really not as bad as it seems, unless you let it gitcha down.

I use dice for almost everything in the classroom. Kids see more than 6 sides on a die and immediately go "ooooo, aaahh." Dice are great for randomly assigning texts, test questions, presentation order, the list goes on. I recently gamed for the first time in more than a decade and a friend had a dice roller which I'd love to use in the class.

And yes, it sometimes seems that all we do is grade...

Snowtrooper
07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a farmer/rancher living in central Nebraska(I'm sure the only one on this site). My wife is a nurse at a retirement home in a local community. Between the two of us, we do alright. Right now its pretty good with grain prices soaring(even though expenses are soaring as well). Alot of the money though gets reinvested back into the operation, so it always seems like the money disappears as fast as it comes.

While the work can be hard, especially this time of year, its got its perks. I really like living out in the country, I'm not much of a city person. Since I'm my own boss, I can take a day off and head out somewhere if I want, although the needs of the operation may dictate otherwise. My occupation also allows for me to have alot of family time, which is the biggest plus of all in my book. I never wanted to be one of those dads who misses their children growing up. It also allows my wife to have a career as well.

On the down side, it seems like I'm in a constant fight with mother nature. In the past 9 years, we have endured flooding, drought for most of that period, being hailed out, a tornado, locust/grasshoppers, damn near hurricane force winds, ice storms, and two major blizzards. But its part of the game, which is probably one reason why there are fewer and fewer of us. When these things happen, I sometimes ask myself 'What the hell am I doing out here.' I did after all graduate from the University with a BS in computer science and a minor in math. I could of had a cushy office job programming computers and not have to deal with this s**t. But it doesn't take long for me to be reminded of all the good things out here.

Anyways, thats my story.

jjreason
07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
In a month and a half I will be a (student) teacher.

Holy Christ, if THAT's not a sign of the apocalypse..... lol

Tycho
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I admire Snowtrooper's traditional, "romantic" American job.

I see the appeal of the farmer lifestyle. That's pretty cool. I understand the drawbacks as well. But there's much to like as well.

Blue2th
07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I had been an Auto Refinisher.
My last job was working for a Ford dealership for 10 years.
A good job, anywhere from 45K to 65k a year depending on how good the year was, as you get paid by the job. I was an expert in my field, even did custom work, that is till the bosses had us paint a 1942 Seagrave fire engine for charity. Wouldn't fit in the paint booth, so was painted out in the shop.

To make a long story short, I was over-exposed, a big mess, now I have Hyperthyroidism, so I run a little hot, amongst many other related things.

Currently undergoing a transition, reviewing my options.

Oh yeah, now I play guitar in a Rock Band, which pays some of the bills. You can imagine I've had to curb my collecting jones.

Exhaust Port
07-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I was an expert in my field, even did custom work, that is till the bosses had us paint a 1942 Seagrave fire engine for charity. Wouldn't fit in the paint booth, so was painted out in the shop.

To make a long story short, I was over-exposed, a big mess, now I have Hyperthyroidism, so I run a little hot, amongst many other related things.

Are you saying the exposure to the paint by not being in a paint booth caused your condition (ie over-exposed?)? I have no experience with industrial paints and I expected them to be bad news just not 1 event = illness bad news.

Blue2th
07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Are you saying the exposure to the paint by not being in a paint booth caused your condition (ie over-exposed?)? I have no experience with industrial paints and I expected them to be bad news just not 1 event = illness bad news.

Yeah, remember those 1500 or so people in India that died from a leak at Union Carbide. Isocyanates. Same stuff. Though not in that high or pure concentration. Got through my skin, eyes, lungs (even with normal protection) because parts per million in the air due to lack of evacuation of vapors over exceeded tolerances, not to mention the long list of ingredients used to get it to spray.

Of course cumulative effects are present, but one event can push your already weakened system over the edge.

It f*cked me up. I'm alive though.

Tycho
07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Isn't that what Worker's Comp / Disability Insurance is for?

I know it won't cover all your earnings, but hopefully you have help. It sounds like it's a legitimate work related injury.

Lazer Brain
07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
i am a CAD designer, currently working for Schlitterbahn designing waterparks and such. have been a designer for the past 20 years from machines to museum displays,located deep in the heart of texas.
later

Blue2th
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Isn't that what Worker's Comp / Disability Insurance is for?

I know it won't cover all your earnings, but hopefully you have help. It sounds like it's a legitimate work related injury.

There's the rub. Went through the worker's comp thing, because of pain in my lungs, various symptoms associated with my exposure. Talk about a mine field.
First they send you to their HMO, with their doctors, find out that yeah you did have an exposure, but your ok now, you do have Hyperthyroidism, but it could be from your previous employment (uh excuse me what previous employment for the last ten years) we'll set you up with an endocrine specialist, meanwhile come back to work, because we are not paying workman's comp.
Meanwhile you play along, symptoms of your "we don't know where this illness comes from" are not going away. All the people in your department that were your good friends people you trained, slowly are turning you into a pariah, even though some of them were exposed, but their true colors come out when their job or livelihood is threatened by one.

The appointment is set up with endocrine specialist after I take my week vacation, come back it's "we are going to have to let you go" (this is an "any reason" state) "laid off because of lack of work" (when the shop is purposely not taking in work)

My mistake even though I was in on painting this vehicle in an illegal area to do such work, was to not call OSHA immediately. But the impact on my co-workers friends and the dealership that I so loyally worked for for years would have been devastating. That's what I get for being in it for a penny and not a pound. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

I just let it go, lived on unemployment insurance, liquidated 401K .
Still have symptoms, so just now I am enrolled in the State of NM health coverage which remarkably is better than the "conflict of interest" HMO.
Going in for a checkup, if I'm still the same (which I think I am) than it's whatever treatment of this incurable thing is, and vocational rehabilitation for another field (maybe something to do with toys?) If not, I am known around here as one of the best in my field, I'll go back to work. But really I'm through with it.
If I can't work at all which I doubt then it's disability. Sometimes you have to move on. Lord knows I've put tons of money into the system and already reached my quota for maximum social security benefits years ago.

Though my faith in people, friends co-workers, the industry which I dearly loved has been shaken. I can only wish the kharma people deserve, and don't let it eat at me.

Funny thing is I played a happy hour gig down the street from where I used to work last night and sure enough, there's some people who I'm aquainted with from there. They couldn't even look me in the eye. In hindsight I just wished we had a song dedicated to them about betrayal we could have played.

Exhaust Port
07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your unlucky chain of events. That's some scary stuff. I'll think real hard about every using industrial paint, ever. I like my latex house paint just fine. :)

Blue2th
07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your unlucky chain of events. That's some scary stuff. I'll think real hard about every using industrial paint, ever. I like my latex house paint just fine. :)

Thanks, yeah, snafu, what can ya do?

There's lot's of people, even some buddies here that are worse off.

Be thankful, move on but cover your arse next time :yes: ;)

Tycho
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd write some new songs about it, Blue2th. The best stuff comes from the heart. I can't do music, but I used that motivation to spur me to write my novel.

Anyway, I'm really troubled by what I heard. You sound like a great guy on our forums boards and you don't deserve that. You're not a pariah.

Lazerbrain: I love waterparks and used to go to Wild Rivers in Irvine, Ca all the time when I was a kid. They had this artificial mountain that you were washed down in an innertube ring to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" music. I used to love doing that, over and over again!

But meeting girls in bikinis was the true highlight. No joke, I met a girl there (at Wild Rivers in California) who was my girlfriend for 3 years in high school when I moved to Illinois. I decided to stay there (at my grandparents) because that is where she was from.

Please continue to design water parks with bikinis in mind. (Ample sun-tanning space, jacuzzis, wave pools, lazy rivers to float on, that sort of thing!) When I recover from my ordeal, I plan on going back. Water parks are the bomb!

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 11:30 AM
I'd write some new songs about it, Blue2th. The best stuff comes from the heart. I can't do music, but I used that motivation to spur me to write my novel.

Anyway, I'm really troubled by what I heard. You sound like a great guy on our forums boards and you don't deserve that. You're not a pariah.

Thanks, I do write a lot of music with emotion, but alas, am not good with words. That is my forte, I'm the guy who puts the icing on the cake as it were. My emotion does come through my playing though. If I didn't have my music and toys I don't know what I would do sometimes. lol

Yeah the system is broke. A real eye opener for me. I'm not alone, just go to one of the Workman's Comp forums and you'll see how rigged things are.
Definitely something that needs some fixing, amongst the many things that are going to hell in a handbasket.