PDA

View Full Version : "Target-exclusive Order 66 Sets Not To Clearance" ...and other tall tales.

plasticfetish
07-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Well, as I've been around to a few of my local Targets lately, and have seen the Order 66 sets clearing for between $5 and $8, I'm fondly remembering this bit of fiction that the "Hasbro's Star Wars brand team" mailed out...

We have noticed on some boards that some collectors are deciding to wait until the Target-exclusive Order 66 sets go on sale before pouncing. This year, Target has advised us that the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram. We think that those fans waiting may be disappointed when the ones they want sell out. If there are certain army builders or characters that collectors had their eyes on, they might not want to wait…

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1474

Yeah... so, do we officially call BS now, or should we just wait and see if Hasbro has the balls to try and convince us that toys don't go on clearance in the future?

I'd like to know a little more about that desperate message. The reality, and subsequent markdowns only work to confirm what I've always said... if you wait long enough, you'll find it, and probably find it at a discount.

waterfarmer
07-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Coming from a family of used car salesmen, I'm inclined to call BS. This is just short of a "ya know, I have someone else stopping by today who is ready to buy this car...if you want it, you need to get it now" pitch. Maybe I'm wrong and Target pulled a swerve on Hasbro. I really want hear what Hasbro has to say about this. I mean, I'll keep buying, but the whole "collector friendly" image might take a hit....

jedi master sal
07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
On a Target related note, the $5 coupon off is NO LONGER VALID.

Seems some people where fraudulently erasing the "toy" portion of the coupon to make it look like it was good for ANY purchase. That and the complaint the the coupon was being distributed through websites and chat groups....

Now we wouldn't go and do a thing like that would we???

Blue2th
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, you know the order 66 packs "re-release" was all tied into the release of the Force Unleashed Rancor which is now on clearance in some stores.

I don't see how they could think this stuff is not going to shelfwarm, when the video game tie-in keeps getting delayed.

I think it's great that Target would put exclusives out when there is nothing out there in media land to spark interest in Star Wars. I paid full pop for all of this. Surely they realize the ones who are going to buy this stuff are mostly collectors.

I think that this was a bad marketing decision on the Rancor because of the game delay and Hasbro was just trying to minimize the anticipated loss that they knew Target would be taking. They used the Order 66 packs as a tool to help sell the Rancor by pulling them off the shelf, making them scarce, putting them back when the Rancor came out.

Yeah it's a bunch of BS

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, you guys are crazy. Look at what Hasbro said, they said once the Order 66 packs were pulled from checklane endcaps, they wouldn't go on clearance, they'd stay in the regular toy section at regular price, and that's COMPLETELY true, it took another month and a half for them to do hit clearance, right during the summer reset when most everything gets clearanced anyway.

Beast
07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, you guys are crazy. Look at what Hasbro said, they said once the Order 66 packs were pulled from checklane endcaps, they wouldn't go on clearance, they'd stay in the regular toy section at regular price, and that's COMPLETELY true, it took another month and a half for them to do hit clearance, right during the summer reset when most everything gets clearanced anyway.
Exactly. Hasbro didn't say they would never clearance.

Just that they wouldn't go on sale when they came off the endcaps.

DarkJedi5
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
And they aren't even on clearence at my Target, still full price and they just put out a ton of them today.

figrin bran
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
It wasn't Hasbro's call to make in the first place.

Interestingly enough, my local Target seemed to have received several new cases of Order 66 just to put on clearance.

Mvader91
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
My target had them for 4.88. with 5 off puts them at 4 each. Not bad, not bad nubian. Watto E1

Blue2th
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
We know it wasn't Hasbro's call to make, but their answer was still a bunch of "might not want to wait" gobblety-goop.

I hardly ever wait for things to go on clearance anyways.

plasticfetish
07-03-2008, 03:03 AM
These aren't the droids you're looking for... credits will do fine... Order 66 sets won't go on sale.

Ok, you guys are crazy. Look at what Hasbro said, they said once the Order 66 packs were pulled from checklane endcaps, they wouldn't go on clearance, they'd stay in the regular toy section at regular price, and that's COMPLETELY true, it took another month and a half for them to do hit clearance, right during the summer reset when most everything gets clearanced anyway.Seriously JT... that's a real stretch. The only reason to bother with making a statement about the sets going on clearance, is to try and convince us toy collecting rubes that we should all just hustle on down to Target and snatch them up. They said that they wouldn't go on clearance, and yep... they did.

We think that those fans waiting may be disappointed when the ones they want sell out.

...uh, unless they happen to see them all at half price a few weeks from now, after they've come off the end caps.

Coming from a family of used car salesmen, I'm inclined to call BS. This is just short of a "ya know, I have someone else stopping by today who is ready to buy this car...if you want it, you need to get it now" pitch. Maybe I'm wrong and Target pulled a swerve on Hasbro. I really want hear what Hasbro has to say about this. I mean, I'll keep buying, but the whole "collector friendly" image might take a hit....Yeah... "used car salesman" is dead on. Even if Hasbro was told one thing by Target, and then Target did another, I still think it took a lot of balls for Hasbro to try and discourage people from waiting for a markdown. And I think you've nailed it when you say that they've done their "collector friendly" image some harm... not that I give them much credit for that.

Mostly they come off as being desperate, and maybe I'm a jerk, but that just encourages me to wait until things go on sale... because I know most of it will at some point. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to start the challenge to see who can wait and find the new Falcon for the lowest price. I'm betting they're on sale by October for nearly half price.

JediTricks
07-03-2008, 04:59 AM
It wasn't Hasbro's call to make in the first place.And you'll note that Hasbro didn't make the call, they say right in the announcement that THEY HEARD FROM TARGET about this. At least you, me, and Beast get it.

Interestingly enough, my local Target seemed to have received several new cases of Order 66 just to put on clearance.Targets that sell well in toys often get clearanced items from poorer selling stores after a few Fridays of not selling.

Seriously JT... that's a real stretch. The only reason to bother with making a statement about the sets going on clearance, is to try and convince us toy collecting rubes that we should all just hustle on down to Target and snatch them up. They said that they wouldn't go on clearance, and yep... they did.I disagree, Hasbro seems pretty clear about this - if you want 'em, don't wait for them to clearance out, Target doesn't think they will. Hasbro may not even care, this is wave 2 of the Order 66 which "the fans demanded", Target already had TONS of other Hasbro exclusives at the time. And they never, EVER said they wouldn't go on clearance. And might I also point out that the fans did demand these friggin' stupid pieces of crap (I think the whole line is pretty lame) and then didn't buy in as strong numbers as before, waiting for inevitable clearances, thus lessening the chances for Order 66 wave 3.

Sometimes I think Hasbro can't win in situations like this, if the stupid Order 66 sets had sold out before hitting clearance while the fans waited, the fans would have complained until blue in the face that Hasbro didn't make enough of 'em.

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:35 AM
...I'm betting they're on sale by October for nearly half price.

I'll take that bet.
Since this will be mass retail, Target won't put them on clearance. Tht's not been their history. Only if it's their exclusives do they mark stuff down so quickly.

I don't think stores are going to be flooded with Falcons, and I do think the initial rush on them is going to go well. Once this catches on, I think it's going to be one of the toys of the holiday season. If so, then there's no way it will clearance in time for the season. Store will be looking to make the most out of it.

I will say I'm excited to see what happens with this over the long haul.

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Sometimes I think Hasbro can't win in situations like this, if the stupid Order 66 sets had sold out before hitting clearance while the fans waited, the fans would have complained until blue in the face that Hasbro didn't make enough of 'em.

I'll have to agree with you on this point. I DID buy all I wanted at full price.

Honestly I had hoped to find these on clearance now, only to return them with the full price receipt and get my money back. So in essence while I was hoping for clearance, I still committed to buying them at full cost. I'm glad I did, as I have them now and they are practically non-existent in my area. (Others have seen them in other parts of my city, but I haven't yet.)

Blue2th
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll have to agree with you on this point. I DID buy all I wanted at full price.

I DID buy 2 of each at full price. :(

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I DID buy 2 of each at full price. :(

Show-off! :razz: heh heh

plasticfetish
07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I disagree, Hasbro seems pretty clear about this - if you want 'em, don't wait for them to clearance out, Target doesn't think they will.I'm really confused by your interpretation of what they said...

This year, Target has advised us that the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram.

I mean, aren't they saying that the things will not be cleared out? They aren't putting any conditions on that... it isn't an "after a few weeks on the shelf" kind of thing. They're flat out saying that Target doesn't intend to put them on sale at all. If they were misinformed by Target, then at best they're idiots for believing them. If they used the wrong wording, and weren't specific enough, then they're guilty of misleading us, which sets a bad... well no, maybe just a lame precedent.

Even more irritating is how this seems to contradict every statement that they've ever made about how ultimately they have no involvement with what the retailers do as far as pricing goes. So here they are talking about Target's planograms. :rolleyes:

Anyway... I'm not complaining about availability, or what the "fans" have demanded (though I'm not sure that I remember much demand for these at all.) And honestly, I don't give a rat's a** either if there's a third wave of these things... and to be even more honest, I haven't bothered to buy any of them at the clearance prices.

Hasbro has done what it does best with these things, and that's to over saturate a toy line with an infinite number of repaints, rehashed figures, and over worked concepts. And then they come out and whine that people are talking about waiting for them to be marked down? Sorry guys, start making good toys for the sake of making good toys, and quit worrying about the market's demand for hot collectibles, or how many versions of a damned clone we'll buy if you repackage it 100 different ways.

I'll give 'em kudos when they deserve it, but this is the sort of thing that needs to be criticized.

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Hasbro has done what it does best with these things, and that's to over saturate a toy line with an infinite number of repaints, rehashed figures, and over worked concepts. And then they come out and whine that people are talking about waiting for them to be marked down? Sorry guys, start making good toys for the sake of making good toys, and quit worrying about the market's demand for hot collectibles, or how many versions of a damned clone we'll buy if you repackage it 100 different ways.

I'll give 'em kudos when they deserve it, but this is the sort of thing that needs to be criticized.

As crazy as this will sound, coming from me-being one of the big army builders here-I agree with PF. I'm getting rather clones out now and with respect to everyone else, that's saying something. It may be due in part to the fact that on average I used to get 20 each of troopers. But I can't bring myself to do that with the Order 66 sets.

I'm just not that much into EU troopers (with Mace's troops as one exception).

I'd rather see movie characters never before made before some new flavor of EU clone.

Honestly that's why I'm now happy about the animated line whereas I was first POed about it. It made me take a step back and realize I don't need to buy all this crap. Certainly not new versions of the same clones I have scores of already.

I didn't wait to buy what I wanted from O66, and like I mentioned previously, if I don't find them on clearance that's fine. But, Hasbro should have never made that asinine comment.

OC47150
07-03-2008, 08:57 PM
It took a while but my Targets finally marked the sets down. Prices ranged from $5 to $7.

One of my Targets had an endcap full of them. Apparently they were sitting in the back collecting dust.

The sets flew off the shelves at the stores where they were marked $5.

JediTricks
07-04-2008, 04:53 PM
This year, Target has advised us that the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram.
I mean, aren't they saying that the things will not be cleared out? They aren't putting any conditions on that... it isn't an "after a few weeks on the shelf" kind of thing. They're flat out saying that Target doesn't intend to put them on sale at all. If they were misinformed by Target, then at best they're idiots for believing them. If they used the wrong wording, and weren't specific enough, then they're guilty of misleading us, which sets a bad... well no, maybe just a lame precedent.No, you are reading something into that which isn't there. I already covered this on page 1: 625980
Nowhere does Hasbro or Target say it won't be on clearance, they said that once they come off the checklane endcaps they won't go on clearance, and that was 100% true. They said that they will be put into the regular toy section's planogram, and that was 100% true. And they said when they were in the regular planogram, they would be at full price, and THAT was true too! It's only now that they're doing a mid-summer reset - the same reset which is clearancing off many other SW and non-SW items alike - is it that these things are finally going on clearance, but it was only your mistaken inference that took it to mean they'd never go on clearance.

Even more irritating is how this seems to contradict every statement that they've ever made about how ultimately they have no involvement with what the retailers do as far as pricing goes. So here they are talking about Target's planograms. :rolleyes:They never ever said they didn't work with retailers on planograms, I think you misunderstand what a planogram is. Planograms are not pricing, they are only about where products go on shelves, and Hasbro has said MANY times consistently that they do try to work with their retail partners on their planograms to ensure our favorite lines get well-balanced coverage at stores.

That has NOTHING to do with pricing though, which Hasbro is not even legally allowed to meddle with, they can wholesale product to retailers and offer batch discounts to larger orders, but from there retailers are allowed charge whatever they want without interference from the manufacturer. Hasbro's wholesale price to stores affects how much stores are going to charge for an item insomuch as they want to make a profit, but that's the only affecting Hasbro does.

I'll give 'em kudos when they deserve it, but this is the sort of thing that needs to be criticized.What, Hasbro's business model is the exact same thing it's been for 45+ years??? Shock and gasp! No way, how could they be so sleazy to put this out there the exact same way they have been for decades which has led them to be the #1 action figure manufacturer? C'mon, get real here, this is nothing new, and your assumptions are based on faulty inference on your part to boot. If you honestly feel they've misled customers (and investors) with this news, report Hasbro to the FTC and SEC, but I'll bet you they won't see it your way.

I'm no Hasbro kiss-***, I've taken them to task time and time again, some of my Q&A questions are the most harsh out there, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Mvader91
07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Who really cares! I am sure if you have your receipt return the full priced ones and buy the lower priced ones. Seems like a pretty simple solution.

plasticfetish
07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
No, you are reading something into that which isn't there. I already covered this on page 1: 625980
Nowhere does Hasbro or Target say it won't be on clearance, they said that once they come off the checklane endcaps they won't go on clearance, and that was 100% true. They said that they will be put into the regular toy section's planogram, and that was 100% true. And they said when they were in the regular planogram, they would be at full price, and THAT was true too! It's only now that they're doing a mid-summer reset - the same reset which is clearancing off many other SW and non-SW items alike - is it that these things are finally going on clearance, but it was only your mistaken inference that took it to mean they'd never go on clearance.Seriously... say that out loud... "they said that once they come off the checklane endcaps they won't go on clearance." And now tell me again what really happened just a short while after they came off the endcaps.

I know what you're saying, and I understand how you're interpreting this, but my point is that regardless of the wording (or how any of us interpret it), their intention was to dissuade people from waiting for them to go on sale... at all... whenever (like right now.)

I think you misunderstand what a planogram is.:rolleyes:

That has NOTHING to do with pricing though, which Hasbro is not even legally allowed to meddle with...I understand the difference between pricing and merchandising. My point is that Hasbro understates their relationship with the retailer when they need to ("we have no idea what they're going to do"), but suddenly when they need to be a cheerleader for Target, they're involved. I understand that Hasbro has merchandisers that work with retailers, and I also have a pretty good firsthand understanding of how retailers are the ones who ultimately decide where things go and when. I work retail for a living. Trust me, I know my way around a floor plan... and I also know that Hasbro would have little to no involvement with what goes where. Target calculates what moves where and when, based on many different factors.

In this case, I'm seeing a situation where the retailer might have complained or merely commented to Hasbro that people were actively discussing how they should just hold out for a sale price, and that retailer may have asked Hasbro to say something to promote the product. ("Hey, you guys have a relationship with the fan sites don't you? Can you say something to get them off the topic of holding out for markdowns? That'd be great.") And so...

What, Hasbro's business model is the exact same thing it's been for 45+ years??? Shock and gasp! No way, how could they be so sleazy to put this out there the exact same way they have been for decades which has led them to be the #1 action figure manufacturer? C'mon, get real here, this is nothing new, and your assumptions are based on faulty inference on your part to boot. If you honestly feel they've misled customers (and investors) with this news, report Hasbro to the FTC and SEC, but I'll bet you they won't see it your way.First of all, WTF does any of this have to do with investors? And how does a Hasbro rep sending out a bulletin to a fan site have anything to do with 45+ years of marketing history? They can market their product any way that they see fit, but I'm going to call them out if they try to take advantage of us by (at best) stretching the truth, because...

Who really cares!...I do.

I'm no Hasbro kiss-***, I've taken them to task time and time again, some of my Q&A questions are the most harsh out there, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.I know you have, which is why I'm a little surprised by how vigorously you're defending them on this one. But I understand your point... it's just that I'm interpreting their motives a little differently than you I suppose. And no, maybe Hasbro can't win in this case, which is why they shouldn't be trying to "warn" us about how something may or may not ever go on sale.

Maybe they should let us decide how we will or wont spend our money instead, and they can go back to focusing on making great toys like they have been for 45+ years. ;)

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Seriously... say that out loud... "they said that once they come off the checklane endcaps they won't go on clearance." And now tell me again what really happened just a short while after they came off the endcaps. A month and a half is not a "short while".

I know what you're saying, and I understand how you're interpreting this, but my point is that regardless of the wording (or how any of us interpret it), their intention was to dissuade people from waiting for them to go on sale... at all... whenever (like right now.) Ok, so let me get this straight, I'm "interpreting" this, but you're NOT? Well, that's exactly what you're doing, you're interpreting their message to mean something it doesn't say, your interpretation is what drives your belief of their intentions in this matter, and your interpretation is based on inference: you read something between the lines which it doesn't say.

:rolleyes:

I understand the difference between pricing and merchandising.
My point is that Hasbro understates their relationship with the retailer when they need to ("we have no idea what they're going to do")Where have they said they don't know what they're going to do in something like this? They said they don't know how much the retailer is going to charge, but that's a legality, they are barred by law from that aspect, and they've been straightforward with that. They could say what they think something's gonna cost but even that could get them in trouble if the retail partner changes their minds.

and I also know that Hasbro would have little to no involvement with what goes where. Target calculates what moves where and when, based on many different factors.Hasbro works with and negotiates with major retailers all the time to ensure product visibility and commitment, and they're hardly alone. Hell, last year it was Hasbro's contractual negotiations which kept Target and the other stores' shelves bare in place of the ultra-popular Transformers line for months at a time.

In this case, I'm seeing a situation where the retailer might have complained or merely commented to Hasbro that people were actively discussing how they should just hold out for a sale price, and that retailer may have asked Hasbro to say something to promote the product. ("Hey, you guys have a relationship with the fan sites don't you? Can you say something to get them off the topic of holding out for markdowns? That'd be great.") And so...You're seeing it, I'm not. This would be the VERY FIRST time Target's ever worried about this sort of thing, despite the fact that they've clearanced out more toys over the past 6 years than any other non-reselling retailer (no Big Lots), and more Hasbro exclusives than any other major retailer. Target has clearanced out some of their SW exclusives in a matter of WEEKS and hung onto others for a long time, even more expensive items are unpredictable, Target does not care about sales as much as schedules, and this seems no different.

Keep in mind, the other 2 items that Target rolled out with these moved pretty quickly, the Transformers and GI Joe exclusives that they sold at the same time at the same checklane endcap displays were army-builder types that didn't linger. If I were Target and I knew a bunch of customers were going to be cheesed off at my employees in a few months when the product didn't make it into their hands in quantities the customers wanted, I'd head that off at the pass.

First of all, WTF does any of this have to do with investors? And how does a Hasbro rep sending out a bulletin to a fan site have anything to do with 45+ years of marketing history? They can market their product any way that they see fit, but I'm going to call them out if they try to take advantage of us by (at best) stretching the truth, because...You may not see the fan sites as news outlets, but in this case they are, and when Hasbro makes these statements available through these news outlets, it makes them liable for their words, including how that official news could be used to make investments in that company. The SEC gave the CEO of Whole Foods a fine for anonymously posting on a couple of forums that a rival company's stock was going to be worth less soon in a bid to drive down the price so his company could buy them (and they did), and that was a few anonymous forums posts about a health food grocery chain buying a smaller health food chain. Hasbro's news bulletins are covered by more sources and seen by many more eyes.

The bulletin didn't have anything to do with Hasbro's business plan, the "repaints and rehashes" complaint was what I was responding to (which is why I quoted it).

I know you have, which is why I'm a little surprised by how vigorously you're defending them on this one. But I understand your point... it's just that I'm interpreting their motives a little differently than you I suppose. And no, maybe Hasbro can't win in this case, which is why they shouldn't be trying to "warn" us about how something may or may not ever go on sale.You're crusading over something you inferred, you're calling them out on a situation that didn't go down the way you claimed and there's nobody else here pointing that out. It's easy to get a bunch of people to join an angry mob, but I think there should be at least some semblance of balance here.

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Seriously... say that out loud... "they said that once they come off the checklane endcaps they won't go on clearance." And now tell me again what really happened just a short while after they came off the endcaps. A month and a half is not really that short a while.

I know what you're saying, and I understand how you're interpreting this, but my point is that regardless of the wording (or how any of us interpret it), their intention was to dissuade people from waiting for them to go on sale... at all... whenever (like right now.) Ok, so let me get this straight, I'm "interpreting" this, but you're NOT? Well, that's exactly what you're doing, you're interpreting their message to mean something it doesn't say, your interpretation is what drives your belief of their intentions in this matter, and your interpretation is based on inference: you read something between the lines which it doesn't say.

My point is that Hasbro understates their relationship with the retailer when they need to ("we have no idea what they're going to do")Where have they said they don't know what they're going to do in something like this? They said they don't know how much the retailer is going to charge, but that's a legality, they are barred by law from that aspect, and they've been straightforward with that. They could say what they think something's gonna cost but even that could get them in trouble if the retail partner changes their minds.

and I also know that Hasbro would have little to no involvement with what goes where. Target calculates what moves where and when, based on many different factors.Hasbro works with and negotiates with major retailers all the time to ensure product visibility and commitment, and they're hardly alone. Hell, last year it was Hasbro's contractual negotiations which kept Target and the other stores' shelves bare in place of the ultra-popular Transformers line for months at a time.

In this case, I'm seeing a situation where the retailer might have complained or merely commented to Hasbro that people were actively discussing how they should just hold out for a sale price, and that retailer may have asked Hasbro to say something to promote the product. ("Hey, you guys have a relationship with the fan sites don't you? Can you say something to get them off the topic of holding out for markdowns? That'd be great.") And so...You're seeing it, I'm not. This would be the VERY FIRST time Target's ever worried about this sort of thing, despite the fact that they've clearanced out more toys over the past 6 years than any other non-reselling retailer (no Big Lots), and more Hasbro exclusives than any other major retailer. Target has clearanced out some of their SW exclusives in a matter of WEEKS and hung onto others for a long time, even more expensive items are unpredictable, Target does not care about sales as much as schedules, and this seems no different.

Keep in mind, the other 2 items that Target rolled out with these moved pretty quickly, the Transformers and GI Joe exclusives that they sold at the same time at the same checklane endcap displays were army-builder types that didn't linger. If I were Target and I knew a bunch of customers were going to be cheesed off at my employees in a few months when the product didn't make it into their hands in quantities the customers wanted, I'd head that off at the pass.

First of all, WTF does any of this have to do with investors? And how does a Hasbro rep sending out a bulletin to a fan site have anything to do with 45+ years of marketing history? They can market their product any way that they see fit, but I'm going to call them out if they try to take advantage of us by (at best) stretching the truth, because...You may not see the fan sites as news outlets, but in this case they are, and when Hasbro makes these statements available through these news outlets, it makes them liable for their words, including how that official news could be used to make investments in that company. The SEC gave the CEO of Whole Foods a fine for anonymously posting on a couple of forums that a rival company's stock was going to be worth less soon in a bid to drive down the price so his company could buy them (and they did), and that was a few anonymous forums posts about a health food grocery chain buying a smaller health food chain. Hasbro's news bulletins are covered by more sources and seen by many more eyes.

It didn't have anything to do with Hasbro's bulletin, the "repaints and rehashes" complaint was what I was responding to (which is why I quoted it).

I know you have, which is why I'm a little surprised by how vigorously you're defending them on this one. But I understand your point... it's just that I'm interpreting their motives a little differently than you I suppose. And no, maybe Hasbro can't win in this case, which is why they shouldn't be trying to "warn" us about how something may or may not ever go on sale.You're crusading over something you inferred, you're calling them out on a situation that didn't go down the way you claimed and there's nobody else here pointing that out. It's easy to get a bunch of people to join an angry mob, but I think there should be at least some semblance of balance here.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll take that bet.
Since this will be mass retail, Target won't put them on clearance. Tht's not been their history. Only if it's their exclusives do they mark stuff down so quickly.

Tell that to the Deuces I saw on clearance at Target yesterday. Along with all the Speed Racer and Prince Caspian stuff, and a carpload of the non-Dark Knight Batman stuff.

I'm with JT on this one. Hasbro cannot tell Target what to do in regards to clearance. In this case, they cleared space at the checklanes--THE most prime piece of real estate in any store--for something else, and didn't immediately clear out the Order 66 packs. But, a couple of months later, they're looking around and thinking, "Hmm.... Those Transformers and GIJoes that were part of the same checkstand promotion as these Order 66 sets are long gone, and, except for that cool-looking little guy, these things are gathering dust. Maybe we should mark them down anyway and see if people are willing to buy these pig terds for half price so we don't waste so much shelf space."

jedi master sal
07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I was talking strictly SW not other lines. Other than Transformers (to a much less extent), I know virtually nothing about other toy lines.

I just think Target gets ancy about keeping their exclusives out for too long, maybe thinking they will clog up space for the regular stuff.

Had they just let these O66 sets trickle out, they would have no doubts sold through them. They could have created a percieved scarcity and that would have gotten collectors and scalepers alike to buy in to it, IMHO.

Oh well, Target's loss is our immediate gain.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but from Target's perspective, this wave of O66 sets were part of a three-pronged Hasbro checkstand promotion involving those sets, the GIJoe vehicles, and some sort of Transformers movie something-or-other, all Target exclusives. The Joes went like hotcakes, and the Transformers didn't seem to last much longer. A few months down the road, only the O66 sets remained (again, aside from Tsui Choi). Of course they're going to clear them out.

Hasbro, when they answered that question, would've had no knowledge whatsoever how well they'd sell. I think they underestimated how burned out on Clonetroopers so many people are, and how much a lot of folks resent having to re-buy a figure that's been released multiple times to get one "new" figure.

plasticfetish
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight, I'm "interpreting" this, but you're NOT? Well, that's exactly what you're doing, you're interpreting their message to mean something it doesn't say, your interpretation is what drives your belief of their intentions in this matter, and your interpretation is based on inference: you read something between the lines which it doesn't say.I was pretty careful to insert the words, "or how any of us interpret it" into that sentence. Yeah... no kidding my interpretation is what drives my belief of their intentions in this matter. And my interpretation is based on what I think is a pretty logical reaction to a statement that--even when it was first published--seemed like baloney.

I don't think I'm reading between the lines either. "They won't go on clearance" in any context, means... they won't go on clearance.

Hasbro works with and negotiates with major retailers all the time to ensure product visibility and commitment...Yeah fine, but there’s a limit to that. It has more to do with general presentation than what bit of real estate their product owns on the floor. They can pitch for any spot they want, but ultimately it’s all about what Target’s sales analysis tells them to do with a given mass-out, header, end cap or space on the aisle.

You're seeing it, I'm not. This would be the VERY FIRST time Target's ever worried about this sort of thing, despite the fact that they've clearanced out more toys over the past 6 years than any other non-reselling retailer (no Big Lots), and more Hasbro exclusives than any other major retailer. Target has clearanced out some of their SW exclusives in a matter of WEEKS and hung onto others for a long time, even more expensive items are unpredictable, Target does not care about sales as much as schedules, and this seems no different.Target’s sales suck (as do those of just about every retailer in this country), and I’d be willing to bet that this year has been especially bad for the Star Wars brand in comparison to most every other year since the modern Star Wars line rolled out. To say that Target does not “care” about if/when a product goes on sale, is like saying that they don’t care if they make a dollar or five dollars on an item. Trust me... they care. They’ll cut their losses to reduce overhead if they have to, but they’d much rather not have their shelves clogged with clearance merchandise if they can. (Just watch how fast they try to dump all of that terrible Hulk merchandise now.)

Keep in mind, the other 2 items that Target rolled out with these moved pretty quickly, the Transformers and GI Joe exclusives that they sold at the same time at the same check lane end cap displays were army-builder types that didn't linger. If I were Target and I knew a bunch of customers were going to be cheesed off at my employees in a few months when the product didn't make it into their hands in quantities the customers wanted, I'd head that off at the pass....or if my sales sucked in general, and I was stuck with a ton of product that wasn’t forecasted to make much money, even though I was planning to park it at a high value (high traffic) location... sure, maybe I’d want to head that off at the pass.

You may not see the fan sites as news outlets, but in this case they are, and when Hasbro makes these statements available through these news outlets, it makes them liable for their words, including how that official news could be used to make investments in that company. The SEC gave the CEO of Whole Foods a fine for anonymously posting on a couple of forums that a rival company's stock was going to be worth less soon in a bid to drive down the price so his company could buy them (and they did), and that was a few anonymous forums posts about a health food grocery chain buying a smaller health food chain. Hasbro's news bulletins are covered by more sources and seen by many more eyes.Mmmm. Double check your facts about John Mackey and the Whole Foods/Wild Oats thing. If I remember correctly, he wasn't punished, and yeah... his company was finally allowed to buy Wild Oats... the company that once employed my wife until she quit a few years ago.

(And not to go off topic, but there wasn't much that Mackey/"Rahodeb" was saying that wasn't true. Wild Oats was an overvalued mess, with an idiot for a CEO. Their management structure was a joke, and they'd long since drifted away from whatever weak core values they'd once had by the time Whole Foods started to smell blood in the water. Having Whole Foods buy them out, was the best thing that could have possibly happened to them.)

That has nothing to do with this anyway. In a way this is almost more lame. Hasbro isn't anonymously posting information to manipulate opinion, they're blatantly doing it.

You're crusading over something you inferred, you're calling them out on a situation that didn't go down the way you claimed and there's nobody else here pointing that out. It's easy to get a bunch of people to join an angry mob, but I think there should be at least some semblance of balance here.I'm not crusading (well, not at first), I'm simply making an observation. And fine, if it isn’t interesting to anyone else, or if (more likely) no one bothered to take notice in the first place, or if (most likely) no one would be interested in defending their opinion against a dozen paragraphs of argument... then I suppose it really doesn’t matter what Hasbro decides to tell us.

I have nothing against them trying to make a buck, but I'd like to see them show a little respect to their customers, both kids and collectors alike, by not trying to con us.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't think I'm reading between the lines either. "They won't go on clearance" in any context, means... they won't go on clearance. Except that there was a modifier in that sentence which you left out that sets a timeframe for it: "the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram". And that is what happened at the time, they went off endcaps and onto the regular SW shelves where they stayed at full price until nearly everything in toys got clearanced out over a month later. Nowhere does it say they will NEVER go on sale, only that when they come off the endcap, that they won't go on clearance at that time, instead going at regular price to the normal SW shelves. How is that misleading, much less false?

Target’s sales suck (as do those of just about every retailer in this country), and I’d be willing to bet that this year has been especially bad for the Star Wars brand in comparison to most every other year since the modern Star Wars line rolled out. To say that Target does not “care” about if/when a product goes on sale, is like saying that they don’t care if they make a dollar or five dollars on an item. Trust me... they care. They’ll cut their losses to reduce overhead if they have to, but they’d much rather not have their shelves clogged with clearance merchandise if they can. (Just watch how fast they try to dump all of that terrible Hulk merchandise now.)SW sales have been pretty robust actually, one of the strongest-performing boys toys lines out there. TAC did quite well, and since SW hasn't had to worry about a longterm sales strategy for 2008 up to this point (what with only 2 waves), it's probably not suffering a lot.

Target doesn't make a lot of money on toys, their toy department is basically there to get folks to come in for that and then buy other stuff, it's almost a loss-leader. Wal-mart considered 2 years ago ditching toys altogether except at the holiday shopping season because toys make so little profit. So there's not a lot of profit in that department by itself. And Star Wars is now just a small fraction of the toy department overall. So your argument is that Target's sales across the board are down, but they decided to concentrate only on 1 tiny aspect of line that's a fraction of their least-performing department? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mmmm. Double check your facts about John Mackey and the Whole Foods/Wild Oats thing. If I remember correctly, he wasn't punished, and yeah... his company was finally allowed to buy Wild Oats... the company that once employed my wife until she quit a few years ago. The FTC hit him with a TRO and a fine, the federal appeals court overturned it. The SEC investigated him for nearly a year and cleared him long after the deal was done.

(And not to go off topic, but there wasn't much that Mackey/"Rahodeb" was saying that wasn't true. Wild Oats was an overvalued mess, with an idiot for a CEO. Their management structure was a joke, and they'd long since drifted away from whatever weak core values they'd once had by the time Whole Foods started to smell blood in the water. Having Whole Foods buy them out, was the best thing that could have possibly happened to them.) That is as may be, but then it only further points out that there is diligence in the government's dealing with this. The FTC did act quickly, and the SEC investigated for 10 months, and that's on something you're saying is true. If Hasbro releasing news was proven to be false, those agencies would have cause to take action.

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
(from: Yakface) Target and Hasbro seem to have figured out a solution, or somebody did.
They now have a few former Target Exclusives at Star Wars shop. Including the Shark tooth Arc Fighter and some of last year's Order 66 packs.
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/category.xml?category_id=407992&rid=CJADLK

plasticfetish
07-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Except that there was a modifier in that sentence which you left out that sets a timeframe for itOh my god! This all comes down to the use of the word "when" instead of "after" for you... or something petty like that?

But again, the purpose of their message was to discourage people from waiting to get an item on sale, that I'll bet they knew was going to eventually go on sale. A day... a week... a month later... it's not important. I'm pretty sure someone at Target saw the obvious, and realized that come time to clear the decks for the new Clone Wars line, they would be stuck with a lot of less than desirable older merchandise. That person may have then mentioned to (Joe Shmoe at) Hasbro that they'd be happy if they could work up a little enthusiasm for said product, and so we get Hasbro testing the waters to see if they could help.

So I make the same point... it was a bad idea, that in its insignificant little way, might lead to them trying the same thing over and over again. Which, no, isn't a big surprise... but I think it's not unfair to point out that their statement was misleading, and frankly, wasn't entirely true.

So your argument is that Target's sales across the board are down, but they decided to concentrate only on 1 tiny aspect of line that's a fraction of their least-performing department? That doesn't make a lot of sense.No, my point was that Target is probably bombing out with everything aside from Transformers (maybe), but the other toy lines like the Hulk and Indiana Jones (and I'm calling that one a minor success at best, because I'm seeing a ton of merchandise sitting around at all of the retailers that I visit) don't have the same kind of organized fan support that Star Wars does. That... and there's the fact that the product in question was designed and marketed specifically with collectors in mind. So what we get is (and I'm just thinking out loud at this point) a Target buyer casually commenting to a Hasbro rep, that they'd really love it if they didn't have to wait until this merchandise goes on clearance to see it leave the store. "Hey yeah, so see if you can tell 'em not to wait for a markdown, 'cause this one's more than likely going to sell out first. See if you can play up the whole collectability thing here."

You know, if anything, I just want them to rethink their approach to how they design and sell exclusives. (Not so much crap, and not such a huge price gouge aimed at collectors.) But I've always hated the way it works with Target and Hasbro in particular, so this is nothing new.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Oh my god! This all comes down to the use of the word "when" instead of "after" for you... or something petty like that?"When" is a conditional clause here, in this case action B won't happen "when" action A occurs. "When you leave the boat, we will make sure you will not fall into the water and die" does not preclude that death from ever occurring, only that the passenger won't drown within and immediately after the moment the action of them leaving takes place. To blame the boat company for someone slipping and drowning in the shower 30 years after a boat trip merely because of that statement would be ludicrous because it's withdrawing the portion one party wishes to focus on from the entire conditional context of the overall statement.

Petty would be withdrawing the very context from the argument to claim it means something else when that context is what defines it. This all comes down to WHAT THEY SAID versus WHAT YOU INFERRED. What they said is that these won't go on sale WHEN they come off the checklane endcaps, and that was true - there's no argument to be made there, it didn't happen at that time, the end. You are basing your argument on the misinterpretation of what was said to mean any time after that point in the whole future of humanity.

It's not "petty" of me to point out that the announcement stated that when an event happened, another event would take place despite collector expectations to the contrary. It's unrealistic of you to claim otherwise, are you saying you expected Target to keep these at full price on the SW aisle for the remainder of time no matter if they sold, even if that be 5 years? No, of course not, that's silliness, nobody expected that, folks like you just thought they'd stick around longer than 2 months. Does it say they would? No, it merely says that when event A happens, they will not clearance out and instead go onto the regular shelves at regular price - which was indisputably what happened at that time.

But again, the purpose of their message was to discourage people from waiting to get an item on sale, that I'll bet they knew was going to eventually go on sale. A day... a week... a month later... it's not important. I'm pretty sure someone at Target saw the obvious, and realized that come time to clear the decks for the new Clone Wars line, they would be stuck with a lot of less than desirable older merchandise. That person may have then mentioned to (Joe Shmoe at) Hasbro that they'd be happy if they could work up a little enthusiasm for said product, and so we get Hasbro testing the waters to see if they could help.They knew EVERYTHING in the aisle was eventually going on sale. Your dispute is whether they knew this limited product would sell through before that time or not - you claim they did, I'm not convinced of that. It's a finite commodity with a previous track record of quick sales, once it's gone, it's gone. Did they say anything about the Ultimate Battle Packs? No, and those things were WAY more expensive. Did they say it about any of the myriad of Galactic Heroes battle pack exclusives? Again, no, and also more expensive. Did they say it about the Aayla Secura Jedi Starfighter? No, and again, more expensive. Yet all of these finite commodities eventually made it to clearance without us getting some sinister warning your conspiracy theory suggests. It doesn't fit the pattern of behavior you're suggesting. And it's not like any of the stores in my area are swamped with the damn things, they had a few each, that would point more to Target's statement that there won't be a lot to go around and that the majority of the product might not make it to clearance - it would also fit the pattern of sales on the previous Order 66 line.

So I make the same point... it was a bad idea, that in its insignificant little way, might lead to them trying the same thing over and over again. Which, no, isn't a big surprise... but I think it's not unfair to point out that their statement was misleading, and frankly, wasn't entirely true.I still don't buy that it was misleading, and I don't think you've made a good case for that. Does it suggest that product MIGHT be gone? Yes. Does it say it WILL be gone? No. It doesn't even say ALL the product MIGHT be gone, it just says that certain fans MAY be disappointed when the ONES THEY WANT sell out; and that if there are certain army builders, collectors MIGHT not want to wait. All conditional, all expectational, none of which is certain. In fact, the message is specifically drawing a comparison to the previous Order 66 line's different behavior from the current one, it says "This year, Target has advised us that the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram." That's different to last year's behavior, so it's advising within expectations based on previous events and the differences between then and now.

In fact, having just re-read the statement, it's clear that the ONLY thing Target said in the whole announcement was that "the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram." (Again, a factual statement, they did not go on sale when they came off the checklane endcaps, instead they did extend at regular pricing on the SW aisle.) So it's Hasbro saying that "We think that those fans waiting may be disappointed when the ones they want sell out. If there are certain army builders or characters that collectors had their eyes on, they might not want to wait…" That means it's Hasbro's assumption that collectors might miss out, that Target is behaving differently with this wave from the previous one and collectors may be disappointed if they wait. Keep in mind, Target appears to have said nothing to collectors at all in this matter (you have nothing but a gut feeling to suggest otherwise), it's Hasbro taking the initiative to pass along information they felt was important to the collectors. And it's NOT of particular importance to Hasbro since Hasbro's already sold the product to Target, it's Target's merchandise now. And Hasbro's clearly not too worried about more Order 66, originally they didn't think they'd do any until most of the Q&A sites asked to do more, and Target has plenty of other SW exclusives without making these happen. So the only way your claim of sinister conspiracy works here is if Target worries about something they have shown time and time again they don't care about that much and Hasbro worries about something they don't care about - that is what I'd call "beyond far fetched".

No, my point was that Target is probably bombing out with everything aside from Transformers (maybe), but the other toy lines like the Hulk and Indiana Jones (and I'm calling that one a minor success at best, because I'm seeing a ton of merchandise sitting around at all of the retailers that I visit) don't have the same kind of organized fan support that Star Wars does. That... and there's the fact that the product in question was designed and marketed specifically with collectors in mind. So what we get is (and I'm just thinking out loud at this point) a Target buyer casually commenting to a Hasbro rep, that they'd really love it if they didn't have to wait until this merchandise goes on clearance to see it leave the store. "Hey yeah, so see if you can tell 'em not to wait for a markdown, 'cause this one's more than likely going to sell out first. See if you can play up the whole collectability thing here."That's really weak, and the facts don't support it. Not only did Target advise Hasbro of a true statement, that this year's Order 66 weren't going to immediately clearance after leaving the checklanes the way the previous were, but that Target did not sound the call to arms on ANY of the other Star Wars exclusives they suffered ever in the past, and Hasbro's the one who made this call despite having no vested interest whatsoever in the product selling fast or slow.

You know, if anything, I just want them to rethink their approach to how they design and sell exclusives. (Not so much crap, and not such a huge price gouge aimed at collectors.) But I've always hated the way it works with Target and Hasbro in particular, so this is nothing new.Target is the company that nearly stopped buying Hasbro product altogether after the failure of their poorly-timed 12" exclusives both selling incredibly poorly to the point of Target donating the mountains of leftovers to charity for the tax write-off. Target is the company that also made the 12" Biker Scout on Speeder Bike possible 2 years later. Just because you and I think the Order 66 packs are stupid, and Aayla Secura's barely-a-repaint Jedi Starfighter are lame doesn't mean EVERYBODY does, and of all the retailer partners out there with Hasbro, Target has put the most faith into the line and brought us the most diversity, taken the most risks even when time after time they eat quite a lot of clearanced-out exclusive product. Hasbro's claim is that if these retailers didn't offer these exclusives, they would not get made at all. I know this, if it weren't for Target, I wouldn't have a B-wing Fighter (which I might I add I got on clearance less than 6 weeks after its initial release) or a Shuttle Tyderium for under $100, or a 12" Biker Scout on Speederbike (that one might have been popular, but nobody else was willing to dedicate that much shelf space to it), or accessory sets with figures, or post-Galoob Action Fleet Battle Packs, or Clone Wars Animated Asajj Ventress (I didn't buy any other CW animated figs, but they were all exclusives), or the yellow Y-wing, or 12" Tarpals on Kaadu, or 12" Luke vs Wampa, or 12" Han Carbonite, or the blue tall-wing TIE Fighter which I gladly paid full price for (sure, TRU and Previews now have their own versions, but they only came because of the success of the first one that Target ate plenty of clearanced units on, and which also is the only one to sport movie-accurate color).

So all your lather on this is based on a perception of sinister behavior from a message which you had to heavily reinterpret and infer from to get there, against a company which has shown collectors pretty good treatment over the years compared to their competitors at Wal-mart and TRU and Kmart who have done us far more wrong. This is why I am frustrated and feel the need to say something, fellow fans' ire pointed in the wrong directions - we have PLENTY of **** to complain about, none of which is this.

plasticfetish
07-10-2008, 05:21 AM
So all your lather on this is based on a perception of sinister behavior from a message which you had to heavily reinterpret and infer from to get there, against a company which has shown collectors pretty good treatment over the years compared to their competitors at Wal-mart and TRU and Kmart who have done us far more wrong. This is why I am frustrated and feel the need to say something, fellow fans' ire pointed in the wrong directions - we have PLENTY of **** to complain about, none of which is this.I'm not sure that I'd define how I've expressed my opinion as "lather." Seeing as how this started out as more of a question posed to feel out other people's opinions, and not a wild rant... but fine, so put a sticky somewhere that reminds us that you're the one who'll be deciding what we do and do not complain about, and maybe we can work at avoiding anything that leads you being frustrated.

But first, explain to me again how you interpret Hasbro's intentions when they made this statement...

We have noticed on some boards that some collectors are deciding to wait until the Target-exclusive Order 66 sets go on sale before pouncing. This year, Target has advised us that the order 66 sets will not go on sale when they come off the checklane endcaps and will extend at regular pricing in the planogram. We think that those fans waiting may be disappointed when the ones they want sell out. If there are certain army builders or characters that collectors had their eyes on, they might not want to wait…You're honestly saying that you think Hasbro was only trying to remind us not to miss out on this particular bunch of sets? Just a friendly reminder that... heck... if we're thinking about "army building" some of them, they might not be around for long, and especially not at a sale price?

jedi master sal
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Would both you two please take this to PM. I don't have the inclination to read these long drawn out posts and I have a feeling that others don't as well. Intellectual conversation of not, you're both trying to one-up each other. Either give it a break or as asked take it to PM where you can hash it out however you see fit.

I think it's quite evident Hasbro was trying to push these on us and in part wanted to help Target out. Better sales for Target ultimately means better sales for Hasbro.

Pretty cut and dry.

Now as to my experience on finding these on shelves, I still haven't seen them for less than $6.98. I'm still not buying extras at that price. If I don't get them for cheaper so be it, I'm not worried about it.

JetsAndHeels
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I still haven't seen them for less than $6.98.

My Target here had them for $4.98, and there were plenty the first time I saw them on clearance. I picked up one that day...when I went back a week or so later, there were 4 left, and they were all the Luminara/AT-RT Driver.

Needless to say, they moved off the shelves pretty quick with that price drop.

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Would both you two please take this to PM. I don't have the inclination to read these long drawn out posts and I have a feeling that others don't as well. Intellectual conversation of not, you're both trying to one-up each other. Either give it a break or as asked take it to PM where you can hash it out however you see fit.Um, no. I had already stopped responding to this thread, you are the one who brought it back up 27 hours after the last post. And for future reference, only Steve gets to tell me what is and isn't appropriate for the forums, everything else on down stems from my decisions. :p

I think it's quite evident Hasbro was trying to push these on us and in part wanted to help Target out. Better sales for Target ultimately means better sales for Hasbro.

Pretty cut and dry.Again, no. Whether or not Target sells them, Hasbro's already made their money, they wholesaled the product to Target, that deal was done. Target could give them away for all Hasbro cared, the product has nothing predicated on it, not even a second shipment. And Hasbro didn't even have plans to do a 2nd Order 66 line until the collector base asked for 'em, so it seems kinda odd to paint Hasbro - who delivered what the collectors asked for - in a light other than trying to help the collectors out when they have no vested interest in making sales here. Keep in mind too that Target is the company that asks Hasbro not to talk about some of their exclusives such as Ultimate Battle Packs, Imperial Shuttles, and even both waves of Order 66, so it's not like they WANT help selling this stuff when they tie Hasbro's hands from talking about it.

El Chuxter
07-11-2008, 09:40 PM
On another note....

Is anyone else noticing that the five "rehash" sets are available in mass quantities now, but the Tsui Choi sold out within a couple of weeks of release?

JetsAndHeels
07-11-2008, 09:49 PM
On another note....

Is anyone else noticing that the five "rehash" sets are available in mass quantities now, but the Tsui Choi sold out within a couple of weeks of release?

I went by Target earlier today (after my last post in this thread) and they had put more sets out. 4 of them were the Tsui Choi sets. You are right though, they went the quickest here.

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
On another note....

Is anyone else noticing that the five "rehash" sets are available in mass quantities now, but the Tsui Choi sold out within a couple of weeks of release?The last time I hit Target, which I believe was Tuesday, they had 2 of Tsui Choi and NONE of the others.

DarkJedi5
07-11-2008, 11:46 PM

Actually, I'm seeing the opposite; Palpatine, Obi and Anakin were the most popular around me. Luminara is far and away the least popular....

plasticfetish
07-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Would both you two please take this to PM.Just because Mommy and Daddy argue sometimes, doesn't mean we don't still love each other Jr.

:silly:

And I'd be fully willing to cut Hasbro some slack, but I'm really tired of seeing those f***ing Hulk riding a motorcycle toys that are clogging the shelves right now.

Actually, I'm seeing the opposite; Palpatine, Obi and Anakin were the most popular around me. Luminara is far and away the least popular....Yeah, that's pretty much how it is around me also. The only set that I'm not seeing (as of yesterday) at all, is the one with Obi-Wan. The rest are still hanging about for around $5.

jedi master sal
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Just because Mommy and Daddy argue sometimes, doesn't mean we don't still love each other Jr.

:silly:

So which one is mommy?

2-1B
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I liked the tall tale about Kitster growing up to be Boba Fett, who would be played by Jet Li in AOTC.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I never wait for clearance anyway because I never know what's going to last that long. Actually, I'm not sure if I saw them on the shelves after they sold the ones at the registers. It was a little while later before I started noticing them in the regular Star Wars section. I haven't really paid attention to which ones they have, but there aren't too many. I don't know if they are on clearance or not.

As far as Hasbro's intent with that statement, I don't think it matters whether they meant that they wouldn't go on clearance immediately or ever. They were just going by what Target had told them. If they didn't think they were going to go on clearance at all, then they might have thought they were doing us a favor so that those who normally wait didn't miss out. I guess my philosophy is that if I don't buy it when I see it, I'll have to pay even more to get it online.

El Chuxter
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I liked the tall tale about Kitster growing up to be Boba Fett, who would be played by Jet Li in AOTC.

Man, how much better AOTC would've been if this were true....

JediTricks
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
And I'd be fully willing to cut Hasbro some slack, but I'm really tired of seeing those f***ing Hulk riding a motorcycle toys that are clogging the shelves right now.Yeah, 'cause Toy Biz never made any of those. :p And Kenner with the DC characters both before and after the Hasbro buyout. Let's face it, according to toy companies, little kids are all a bunch of filthy bikers who want to hang out and drink beers with their superhero friends.

plasticfetish
07-15-2008, 03:40 AM
If there was beer involved, I'd probably be more forgiving.

I'm not going to be dragged into a Hasbro vs. ToyBiz thing. You're right, they've both made some lame toys. It's just the Hulk "ZOOM N’ GO Chopper Trike" that I hate at the moment though... and the "ATV 4-Wheeler" is c**p also.

DarkJedi5
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't even see Hulk as the all-terrain vehicle type.

jedi master sal
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't even see Hulk as the all-terrain vehicle type.

Nah, he's more a Harley guy, I'd think.

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You're both wrong, he's the hitchhiking type. :p

Geez, I think Hasbro used the same Hulk figure on both of those, that is lazy!

DarkJedi5
07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
At least they used a different paint color. Ya know, to freshen it up a little....

plasticfetish
07-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Well... I am so glad that I didn't wait for these to go on clearance. If I had waited, then perhaps I would be "disappointed" when the ones I wanted sold out. ;)

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Well... I am so glad that I didn't wait for these to go on clearance. If I had waited, then perhaps I would be "disappointed" when the ones I wanted sold out. ;)

Ya know PF, what's bad about this is that the yellow Barc trooper is going to be recarded for $8 later this year....If we didn't buy it back when it was part of a great $10 set or on clearance, what makes Hasbro think it's going to sell now?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Ya know PF, what's bad about this is that the yellow Barc trooper is going to be recarded for $8 later this year....If we didn't buy it back when it was part of a great $10 set or on clearance, what makes Hasbro think it's going to sell now?
Well, they DID repaint his gun . . . :p

plasticfetish
07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Ya know PF, what's bad about this is that the yellow Barc trooper is going to be recarded for $8 later this year

I'm not sure that they really care about that any more. They assume that we'll buy whatever clone, whenever they put it on a new card or in a new set.

And really, when it get down to it, I don't care. They can rerelease the same figures over and over again forever, but my original thought when starting this thread, was that they shouldn't be surprised if we opt to hold out for sales and clearance on these rehashed toys.

I will always ignore their advice to snatch something up before it disappears.

They aren't the ones who decide what's a "hot" collectible, it's the collectors that decide. Their job is to make cool toys, and to get them into the stores... at as fair a price as possible.

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure that they really care about that any more. They assume that we'll buy whatever clone, whenever they put it on a new card or in a new set.

And really, when it get down to it, I don't care. They can rerelease the same figures over and over again forever, but my original thought when starting this thread, was that they shouldn't be surprised if we opt to hold out for sales and clearance on these rehashed toys.

I will always ignore their advice to snatch something up before it disappears.

They aren't the ones who decide what's a "hot" collectible, it's the collectors that decide. Their job is to make cool toys, and to get them into the stores... at as fair a price as possible.

Hear hear!

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, they DID repaint his gun . . . :p

:p

I hadn't noticed though. I'm not in the habit of looking at other guys rifles...

heh heh

Blue2th
07-25-2008, 10:42 PM
:p

I hadn't noticed though. I'm not in the habit of looking at other guys rifles...

heh heh

But you might wonder if they are bigger. :razz:

I have been in to a few Targets to see how they are coming along with their shelfspace, and have even picked up a few premature Titanium releases.

One thing I saw at least on two different occasions was a Hasbro box labeled "SW Legends" and then in bright pink letters "not to be opened till July 26th"

Let the pegwarming begin...again.