PDA

View Full Version : eFX Announces Ralph McQuarrie will sign Darth Vader Concept Helmet

eFXAmy
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Everyone!

I thought you would all be interested in our latest news!

Please check out the whole story on our blog at:

www.myspace.com/efxcollectibles

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, that's fantastic! When the Art of Ralph McQuarrie was shown off last year at Celebration IV, it was said he retired and no longer signs (or draws at all) due to Parkinson's, so I'm really glad to hear he's doing this. And it's great to see him holding the prototype too, that's amazing.

Is this going to be scaled up to a 1:1 piece, or remain .45? I'd kinda prefer .45, it'd go well with the other scaled helmets out there, and would keep the cost down to something I could more likely afford, as I'm pretty flat due to SDCC coming up. :p

eFXAmy
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi JediTricks,

The helmet will be 1:1 scale. eFX does not have the license to do mini helmets.

Wow, that's fantastic! When the Art of Ralph McQuarrie was shown off last year at Celebration IV, it was said he retired and no longer signs (or draws at all) due to Parkinson's, so I'm really glad to hear he's doing this. And it's great to see him holding the prototype too, that's amazing.

Is this going to be scaled up to a 1:1 piece, or remain .45? I'd kinda prefer .45, it'd go well with the other scaled helmets out there, and would keep the cost down to something I could more likely afford, as I'm pretty flat due to SDCC coming up. :p

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh well, a boy can always dream. Thanks for letting me know anyway Amy, I hope to see a prototype of it at your booth at SDCC later this month. :)

(A thought just occurred to me, if eFX doesn't have that license, does ANYBODY have it right now?)

eFXAmy
07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I believe Gentle Giant has the license to do mini helmets now.

Oh well, a boy can always dream. Thanks for letting me know anyway Amy, I hope to see a prototype of it at your booth at SDCC later this month. :)

(A thought just occurred to me, if eFX doesn't have that license, does ANYBODY have it right now?)

Jayspawn
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
The McVader helmet looks great Amy! Cant wait to see how it comes out painted w/ greeblies!

Any idea on the pricepoint?

If is the start of a collection, a Stormtrooper, would be a most welcome addition!

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I believe Gentle Giant has the license to do mini helmets now.
Oh yeah, I seem to remember something about 1/6th scale helmets, but I thought that was a separate license from the .45 scale ones so I didn't think of 'em. Seeing that stereolithographic .45 scale prototype in Ralph's hands got me all giddy.

McQuarrie stormtrooper helmet is a very cool idea, but nothing's going to be as iconic as that McQ Vader helmet I think... well, maybe a McQ Lightsaber hilt, that'd be almost as iconic. Man, those would be some cool prop replicas, and like this Vader one, it'll be the very first time anybody's ever attempted it at a 1:1 scale. So cool!

eFXAmy
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Jayspawn,

We do not have a pricepoint on this yet. Once we do we will let everyone know!

The McVader helmet looks great Amy! Cant wait to see how it comes out painted w/ greeblies!

Any idea on the pricepoint?

If is the start of a collection, a Stormtrooper, would be a most welcome addition!

Jayspawn
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Is Ralph going to sign his current initials RMcQ or a full signature?

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
I believe he only signs his artwork with RMQ. At CIV, the booth for the Art of Ralph McQuarrie booth had some Galoob Action Fleet sets that he signed with silver marker (Ralph's last SW jobs were for Action Fleet packaging art, and they were awesome pieces), I was lucky enough to buy one, it's signed "R. McQuarrie" and most of the signed stuff of his I've seen is the same. Of course, that was all before Parkinsons made it too difficult for him to hold pen to paper, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if he went "RMQ" on these Concept Helmets.