PDA

View Full Version : Celebration V

jonthejedi
07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
According to Steve Sansweet: Baltimore, Orlando, Chicago, Indianapolis & Minneapolis are all vying to be the city of choice for 35,000 plus Star Wars fans the spring of 2009 or 2010 for the fifth expo.

Mvader91
07-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Im in Indy, would love to see it here again. New Stadium added on the convention center. I vote Indy! If anyone is listening. lol

Kidhuman
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Baltimore please. Right down the road for me

Maradona
07-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I vote for summer! Hopefully, the dates will not be in spring time again. I was able to get to C4 during Memorial Day weekend, but missed 1-3 because of school/work schedules.

It still seems too soon to have another.

Slicker
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I vote for Yokohama or Tokyo...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Chicago, Indy, or Minneapolis would be the best. But . . . I have family in Minnesota that would likely want to go, and they get old pretty quickly, so maybe not. :D

I also hope it's in summer. There's really no reason to have it in May anymore, unless they wanted to be right on the 10th anniversary of TPM. School will be out for me May 8 this year so anything after that will be dandy.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Chicago, Indy, or Minneapolis would be the best. But . . . I have family in Minnesota that would likely want to go, and they get old pretty quickly, so maybe not. :D

Agreed. All locales centrally located will suffice. Having Celebration IV in California was too much of a journey for some of us East-Coasters. Even though I would be in school, I think I will most mysteriously have a severe case of smallpox or ebola that weekend, and arrange for a sub.

jonthejedi
07-08-2008, 04:32 AM
...of course I'm rooting for Baltimore(good convention ctr., lots of hotels). But I have a feeling they'll pick a more centrally located state. Why go from one extreme coast to another..yuknow?

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I vote for Yokohama or Tokyo...There's a Celebration Tokyo coming up in a few weeks.

Agreed. All locales centrally located will suffice. Having Celebration IV in California was too much of a journey for some of us East-Coasters. Even though I would be in school, I think I will most mysteriously have a severe case of smallpox or ebola that weekend, and arrange for a sub.Yeah, but Indiana is just a stone's throw away from us West Coast folks. :rolleyes: 2000 miles away and nothing much to do, whoopee! And Baltimore is on the east coast, how is that ANY different for us than your complaint? At least LA is an alpha city, the only other ones in the US are Chicago and NY. Plus, I've never heard anything good about the summers in Baltimore, Orlando, Chicago, or Indianapolis (sorry Minneapolis, nobody thinks about you much at all).

Orlando, that is so lame! They already have Walt Disney World and their annual SW Weekends while Disneyland gets nothing of the sort despite being the birthplace of Star Tours and having daily Jedi Training sessions for the kids.

You know what's centrally located? Kansas. Anybody want to do this in the dustbowl? No? Because Kansas sucks? Right.

LA was the biggest SW Celebration ever, and for the first time ever had complete run of the convention center at which it was being held. It had ample parking and lots of space, everything was air conditioned except for 2 lines outside. I doubt it'll get bigger and better than that. No idea why LA isn't in the running for it again. Indy got to do it twice, and they weren't half as spacious as C4.

Maradona
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Agreed. All locales centrally located will suffice. Having Celebration IV in California was too much of a journey for some of us East-Coasters. Even though I would be in school, I think I will most mysteriously have a severe case of smallpox or ebola that weekend, and arrange for a sub.

Having three Celebrations "East of the Rockies," to quote the great Art Bell, and just one west of them does not seem too fair. The best location for another Celebration might be up in San Francisco close to Skywalker Ranch and the new Presidio complex. Imagine a Celebration that included tours of these places.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
There's a Celebration Tokyo coming up in a few weeks.

Yeah, but Indiana is just a stone's throw away from us West Coast folks. :rolleyes: 2000 miles away and nothing much to do, whoopee! And Baltimore is on the east coast, how is that ANY different for us than your complaint? At least LA is an alpha city, the only other ones in the US are Chicago and NY. Plus, I've never heard anything good about the summers in Baltimore, Orlando, Chicago, or Indianapolis (sorry Minneapolis, nobody thinks about you much at all).

Orlando, that is so lame! They already have Walt Disney World and their annual SW Weekends while Disneyland gets nothing of the sort despite being the birthplace of Star Tours and having daily Jedi Training sessions for the kids.

You know what's centrally located? Kansas. Anybody want to do this in the dustbowl? No? Because Kansas sucks? Right.

LA was the biggest SW Celebration ever, and for the first time ever had complete run of the convention center at which it was being held. It had ample parking and lots of space, everything was air conditioned except for 2 lines outside. I doubt it'll get bigger and better than that. No idea why LA isn't in the running for it again. Indy got to do it twice, and they weren't half as spacious as C4.

I never mentioned Baltimore or an other Eastern U.S. Coast venue as a place that would be optimal for Celebration V. I only mentioned Mid West cities as a compromise for those who live on the coast. I certainly would love to have the convention somewhere along the Eastern seaboard, but because I am thinking of my friends scattered around the country. Chicago would be a better choice as well, as long as it has the capacity to accomodate the gaggle of fans, which I am sure it does.

jjawa3
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
As for a location for Celebration V, I suggest Indianapolis or Los Angeles. Why?

I attended Celebrations II and III in Indy; the convienience was in the skyways from the hotels to the convention center. The inconvenience was the lack of food (vendors) in the convention center itself.

Los Angeles, however, was big, bright, reminded me of Cloud City with its open, glass covered spaces. There were a lot of venues to buy food--but they WERE horribly expensive. Celebration IV did have a lot of things that CII and CIII did not have; to include shuttle service from the hotels to the convention center.

To make things easier for everyone across the country, Indianapolis is a good mid-point. Just make sure that you have a GOOD map, and don't be afraid to strike out to get lunch and dinner on your own.

Does anybody remember standing outside, and the lines in the rain and wind at Celebration III? That's one thing I will never regret doing.

Dar' Argol
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Does anybody remember standing outside, and the lines in the rain and wind at Celebration III? That's one thing I will never regret doing.

HA HA HA!! YES!!! I think it even snowed one day! That was the best time ever!! We were rapped around the stadium waiting to get in. I was there with the Xir, Dr Evazan and it was a riot.

Of course I am hopeing for Baltime seeing as how that is only 1 hour from me, but Indy would be a great choice as well. Chicago would be nice too . . . I can do anything but the west coast.

I read through quickly and didn't see it so pardon me if it was mentioned, but any idea on the dates . . or even the year??

bobafrett
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Better be in Chicago, that way I can save on hotel costs.

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Los Angeles, however, was big, bright, reminded me of Cloud City with its open, glass covered spaces. Right on, totally agree about that part, that was one of my favorite aspects of CIV, it really felt like we were in a Star Wars locale.

BTW, the only halfway-decent deal on food I found was the Freschetta pizza in the cafes, the veggie one was pretty tasty and filling.

DTMAN
08-06-2008, 08:07 PM
My guess it would be Indy again.
It will depend on the vendor since LFL sued Gen Con.
As to Maradona's post, it would great to have in SF or Marin County.
However, I doubt they would have ever have public tours anytime soon.
Always in motion the future is.
Thank you.

Blue2th
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Why not Denver again like Celebration I? It's centrally located, a little more interesting than Kansas.

Just not in the rainy season. I think that really put a damper on it. It rained every day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Why not Denver again like Celebration I? It's centrally located, a little more interesting than Kansas.

Just not in the rainy season. I think that really put a damper on it. It rained every day.
Hell yes, this would definitely be the best choice.

For the record, there is absolutely no such thing as a "rainy season" in Denver. For that matter, there isn't much of any kind of "season" around here. :D

And we'll be all ready for another big event . . . the Democratic National Convention is just a warm-up. ;)

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Isn't it always winter, which is why you hardly ever see Eric Cartman without his parka?

bpr2
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I would love to see ine on the East Coast. It's never been there, so now would be the time. Then go back to the other places. DON"T BE HOGS!! :)

BTW, did anyone go to Celebration Japan? I wanted to go. Had Slicker been in town, he probably would have gone. My wife and son went and had a blast helping out with Official Pix. They got to meet just about everyone there(they did not met Anthony Daniels).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Steve Sansweet said at the NYCC recently that they'd be announcing about CV this summer, and that they want to make an announcement a year before the actual event. It sucks that it's not this year but I can't wait for it!!

pbarnard
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Only want someplace close, and hopefully not when I have a final exam. Wait, out of school, so at least one part won't be a problem.

Maradona
02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I still think it's too soon. There will probably be something to promote.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I still think it's too soon. There will probably be something to promote.
Why is the summer of 2010 too soon? It will have been three years since CIV, which I think is enough time.

Maradona
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
At CIV, Lucas, through a video feed, said something towards the effect of him "being at the 35th, 40th, or 50th anniversary Celebration" because he was unable to be at CIV. His absence, for me at least, was a big disappointment. If we have another in 2010, it doesn't coincide with any of those dates. A 30th anniversary Celebration for the best film in the series seems like an appropriate event. Despite that, I would rather the Celebrations be spread out and rarer to merit more of a presence from the film's creator.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, he was at CIII, and I got to see him. He was working on Indiana Jones during CIV and couldn't make it. He'll probably be able to make it to the next one, but if not, there's a ton of other reasons to go and have fun. The other Celebrations were great, and he wasn't at those. I agree that they should be fairly spread out but I think three years is fine (the two years between CIII and CIV was fine too :D ). If they do them too often, they won't be as "special," and if they do them too rarely then that would really suck. I mean, if you don't want to go to the next one, then just wait until CVI, I suppose.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Lucas not being at CIV was pretty frustrating, 30th anniversary is a huge number, LA is the home of the 10th anniversary convention as well, which Lucas was at, and for him to not show because he was making that crappy Indy film was lame - he's not even the director or screenwriter. But it was a great show even without him, or most of the main cast for that matter - if ya gotta have someone, Carrie Fisher and Anthony Daniels are pretty darn good gets as they put on a good show.

As for 2010, I guess that fits, only CIV was not on the 3-year schedule and that was because '07 was a special year.

Darth Cruel
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I am OK with it hopping around. I actually don't want to see it in the same place year after year. That limits the people who can enjoy it.

That being said, I will not travel to see it. It just isn't that wonderful to me. In 20 years or so when it travels back around this way, I will go again.

Maradona
06-30-2009, 01:54 AM
I get the suspicion that Sansweet will announce CV at SDCC. I really hope that a summer date is chosen rather than days in the spring. Given that SW is now geared primarily towards children, holding such a massive convention during the school year might not attract as large an audience as having it in the summer would.

jonthejedi
06-30-2009, 04:12 AM
I agree...and how many shows since CI did we have unseasonably cold weather in the late April/early May period.

Jayspawn
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Hasbro announced it's Clone Wars contest to be held at Celebration 5 in 2010. Come on LF -the formal announcement is coming!

El Chuxter
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Fifty bucks says they announce it tomorrow at Comic-Con, it'll be the big announcement, and they'll postpone announcing the mythical live action series until at least C5.

Maradona
07-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Fifty bucks says they announce it tomorrow at Comic-Con, it'll be the big announcement, and they'll postpone announcing the mythical live action series until at least C5.

All Sansweet confirmed is that it would be next summer.

indyjones1981
07-25-2009, 04:53 PM
All Sansweet confirmed is that it would be next summer.

Makes sense it will be next Summer. I am guessing it will be in May/June maybe July but Comic Con 2010 is in late July next year. How fitting to get Celebrations V to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the best movie in the entire Star Wars series Episode V The Empire Stikes Back!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2009, 02:08 PM
It was disappointing for him to only reveal that it would take place next year - they don't even have a place for it yet?!? Come on!

Mvader91
07-26-2009, 04:43 PM
It was disappointing for him to only reveal that it would take place next year - they don't even have a place for it yet?!? Come on!
:tired: Was this "the big announcement"?

OC47150
07-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree...and how many shows since CI did we have unseasonably cold weather in the late April/early May period.

Well, the weather at C3 wasn't the greatest. It rained and snowed that weekend. But at C2, the weather was perfect.

jonthejedi
07-27-2009, 03:39 AM
My guess is Chi-town for 2010.

bobafrett
07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
That would be nice, but I'd have to get a second job so I could afford the ticket!

El Chuxter
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
It seems odd that they don't have a place yet. Those convention halls tend to book up pretty early....

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I read it the paper that the Ontario (southern California) Convention Center is low on events booked. Maybe? :pleased:

I think Modesto (Lucas' home town) would be perfect. Or Yuma AZ (site of Sarlacc Pit) in June! Were there any filming locations in the USA for Empire?

Mvader91
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I read it the paper that the Ontario (southern California) Convention Center is low on events booked. Maybe? :pleased:

I think Modesto (Lucas' home town) would be perfect. Or Yuma AZ (site of Sarlacc Pit) in June! Were there any filming locations in the USA for Empire?
;) Indianapolis' convention center is supposed to be done by January. The expansion is supposedly going to allow for an extra 15,000 people? They could be holding out for the result.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
When Sansweat mentioned the 30th anniversary of ESB the first thing that came to mind was "Dear God, not Sweden!" I think the only scene filmed in the US was Luke climbing out of the X-Wing on Dagobah which was filmed in somebody's pool if the story I heard was correct.

scruffziller
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
When Sansweat mentioned the 30th anniversary of ESB the first thing that came to mind was "Dear God, not Sweden!" I think the only scene filmed in the US was Luke climbing out of the X-Wing on Dagobah which was filmed in somebody's pool if the story I heard was correct.
Actually the Hoth scenes were filmed in Norway. I have plans to go there before I die.

pbarnard
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Actually the Hoth scenes were filmed in Norway. I have plans to go there before I die.

I dated an exchange student from Norway in high school. :lipsrsealed:

DarkArtist
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm looking to attend CV since Empire is my favorite movie out of the Saga so a convention that would celebrate the 30th is right up my alley. would love it if they brought the show to New York. that would rock. Indianapolis was a cool place to go as well but I would love it if it were closer to home. Still going to try and attend regardless though

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
That would be nice, but I'd have to get a second job so I could afford the ticket!
I think we could get you into the show on that one. :thumbsup:

SirSteve
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Confirmed. http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=2557

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Orlando in August? Good luck finding plane tickets, especially with this sort of notice.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Also, it's gonna be hot as hell, and might end the day before my classes start. Still, I wouldn't miss this for the world! It's nice to FINALLY have an announcement.

JediTricks
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Seems like it'll be a really hot, humid show. Middle of August in Florida seems like a really bad idea, and after Comic-Con spending, it will be a rough choice.

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Seems like it'll be a really hot, humid show. Middle of August in Florida seems like a really bad idea, and after Comic-Con spending, it will be a rough choice.

I'd wager you're looking at 100+ temperatures, with 70% or higher humidity. Not to mention the Orlando area is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world over the summer.

JediTricks
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh helllllllll no! Homie don't play that.

jonthejedi
12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
WE went from one temp extreme(freezing cold for C1-3) to another...I've been down to Walt Disney World in JULY, and it was almost unbearable standing in line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
WE went from one temp extreme(freezing cold for C1-3) to another...I've been down to Walt Disney World in JULY, and it was almost unbearable standing in line.
Well, it'll be inside a convention center, so does the heat really matter all that much? There are always lines outside, but that's not because of bottlenecking or anything, just people wanting to get in. Dunno. We'll see.

JediTricks
12-03-2009, 04:49 PM
C IV had a few lines that went outside, including the big line for the opening ceremonies that EVERYBODY had to wait in. Still, LA was beautiful, perfect weather when we hosted in May, I can't imagine crazy high Floriday August temps.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
C IV had a few lines that went outside, including the big line for the opening ceremonies that EVERYBODY had to wait in. Still, LA was beautiful, perfect weather when we hosted in May, I can't imagine crazy high Floriday August temps.
True, it was even a little chilly in LA at night. But after the rain of Denver and cold of Indianapolis, we're due for another SW-themed bit of extreme weather, so why not make it as hot as Tatooine? :p

JediTricks
12-03-2009, 05:06 PM
And as muggy as Felucia? :p

Ando
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Isn't August the beginning of hurricane season, too?

bobafrett
12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I won't be there, I plan on being broke, unless I win another lotto game.

Maradona
12-04-2009, 12:06 AM

LA was near perfect (save for the lack of Lucas): more than enough space, ample parking, easy access to public transit, highly tolerable climate, entertainment industry nearby, etc. Given the addition of the new Nokia Center, events could be held there if massive crowds required them. I guess we'll have to wait for CVII, since I doubt the next one will come this way.

Out of curiosity, how many west coast people from here plan to attend? I doubt I will, but that may change. Many exclusive items are no longer exclusive items, so going just to get them seems pointless. I wonder what Hasbro will do? I predict at least one CW figure and one Legacy figure. Maybe they'll launch a new AT-AT there.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I didn't drive back then, and nobody told me about the subway that leads to right by there, so I was taking the bus the first few days, that wasn't ideal. But the subway got right to there. Parking was great when I brought someone the last 2 days, as well. And it almost never felt crowded, it was a very good fit. Plus, the LACC had such a modern setting that it felt a little like "being there" in the SW galaxy. CIV was da bomb!

I am not sure yet about Orlando next year, definitely "on the bubble" with this.

Jayspawn
12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm going.

jonthejedi
12-04-2009, 03:55 AM
...and if you carpool, the Wizarding World of HP will be open at Universal's Islands of Adventure...but revamped Star Tours won't unveil til 2011.

jonthejedi
12-07-2009, 04:35 AM
In fact...Universal Studios & Universal Islands of Adventure(which I always though after numerous visits were tons better than Disney(MGM) Studios, as well as SeaWorld are very close to Orange County Con. Ctr. I just don't think my son will take that Florida August heat/humidity...so I haven't made a decision yet. Why couldn't they have picked April/May like usual??? Probably already booked...so they had to push further & further into the year. Trivia: this is the 2nd largest con. ctr. in the U.S., with Chicago having the biggest.

Darkross
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm hoping to go! This one will be awesome! Feel sorry for those 501st troops in their armor during the searing Florida HEAT in August!

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping to go! This one will be awesome! Feel sorry for those 501st troops in their armor during the searing Florida HEAT in August!
Oh boy, I hadn't thought of that! At CIV, the 501st guys were talking about the AC units they had installed in their suits whenever possible, and it was like 70 degrees and low humidity.

bobafrett
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
I did an event for Gateway computers in my armor shortly after joinging the ranks of the 501st, outside in 100 degree plus temps. I think I lost about 10 pounds of sweat that day.

jonthejedi
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I think before I make a decision concerning my family and I(or me solo) sweatin' our #@*&$%#'s off next August at Orange Co...I'm going to wait & see who(and what) is coming. With the state of the economy, this is a lot of $$$ to come up with up front, especially for a close-proximity hotel(30,000 plus rooms avail. right in the vicinity). Much to think about.

JediTricks
12-11-2009, 06:09 AM
I did an event for Gateway computers in my armor shortly after joinging the ranks of the 501st, outside in 100 degree plus temps. I think I lost about 10 pounds of sweat that day.
Sounds like you didn't lose it at all, that it's all there built up in your undersuit. ;) Ewww! I hope you are able to wash those things.

Lord Malakite
12-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Man, August of 2010 is turning out to be an expensive month to be a nerd. :cross-eye Three major/semi-major conventions in the span of three weeks that I'm looking forward to. Star Wars Celebration V, Chicago Comic-Con 2010 & Power Morphicon 2010.

XmasDVD
12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Isn't August the beginning of hurricane season, too?

No - Hurricane season is June-November. It will be in the middle of the season, however, Most Hurricanes don't really get going until Late August/September anyhow and we're on a downturn right now.

XmasDVD
12-17-2009, 06:50 PM
In fact...Universal Studios & Universal Islands of Adventure(which I always though after numerous visits were tons better than Disney(MGM) Studios, as well as SeaWorld are very close to Orange County Con. Ctr. I just don't think my son will take that Florida August heat/humidity...so I haven't made a decision yet. Why couldn't they have picked April/May like usual??? Probably already booked...so they had to push further & further into the year. Trivia: this is the 2nd largest con. ctr. in the U.S., with Chicago having the biggest.

That's too close to Star Wars Weekends and August will catch more tourists coming down.

Ando
12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
No - Hurricane season is June-November. It will be in the middle of the season, however, Most Hurricanes don't really get going until Late August/September anyhow and we're on a downturn right now.

I stand corrected...

JediTricks
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Wait, it's the MIDDLE of hurricane season? Oh goody, that makes me feel much better. ;)

Tycho
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
We need a Celebration 5 attendee checklist for SSG.

If you're going, copy my post (the part below) and add your name.

Tycho (Josh)

Obsession is Nute
12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Obesession is Nute (John)

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks Florida and August are not a hot idea. But my inner fanboy needs to go to this one after missing LA.

I am trying to pick which hotel I want. They say there are two hotels across the sreet from the center, but the map I saw only shows the Peabody. Anyone been down there? Which hotel is closer? Which one is nicer? Not a huge price difference between the two, but I want to make sure I don't regret my choice.

Tycho
12-21-2009, 10:48 PM
SirSteve is from Florida and lives right near there. He recommended the Peabody as being directly across the street from the convention, plus very nice. So that's where I put my deposit for a room down.

InsaneJediGirl
02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I've thought about going, as it would be a nice 5-6 hour trip or so down if we(my bro and I) hit the interstate at about 3 am. It would be nice to see all the places I grew and such too.

I'll see how my funds are then decide, even then I would probably just catch the con on Saturday then hit all my old haunts on the way back Sunday. Would make for a nice 3 day weekend(Fri/Sat/Sun).

Warped
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm 90% sure I'm going. I'm gonna take my boy 8 and 9. Should be fun.

DarkArtist
02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm about 75% sure that I will be attending CV...my wife actually wants to go which is shocking me at the moment since she's not a huge SW fan but she at least watches the movies with me and the CW cartoon when it's on.

not sure if I'll be in attendance all the days or maybe just 2 of them..waiting to see what types of events are going to be listed...will definately be there the 12th but just not sure if I'm going to do both Thrusday and Friday or perhaps break it up and hit either Saturday or Sunday.... I know one day we might want to go to Universal and or Sea World as well.

pbarnard
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I wanted to go. But with the baby and possibly buying a house, it's out of the question now.

DarkArtist
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I wanted to go. But with the baby and possibly buying a house, it's out of the question now.

pb those are great reasons not to go. your family and possible house are more important....hopefully we'll be able to see you at CVI. good luck with the house shopping.

DarkArtist
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
looks like CV is a definate yes for me...my wife really wants to go and experience her first ever Star Wars convention.....we are planning on maybe doing 2 days at CV and then maybe a day at Sea World and a day at Universal Studios.....

I'm still in shock that my wife wants to go... i figured she would say I'll stay home.

jonthejedi
02-18-2010, 04:39 AM
CV is a big "NOT going to happen" for myself & my family. I haven't worked since 12/18 due to 3 herniated discs(which are healing due to physical therapy traction-looks like no surgery, yeah!) I am collecting workman's comp., but not enough to afford Florida(there are reasonable room rates) even if we drive. Plus, my son Tyler(who was the first to go up on stage to meet Mr. Lucas at CIII) will never tolerate August heat down there. I don't think many of you know what you're in for. It depends on how long you have to wait outside. I was at DisneyWorld once in July, and it was unbearable(you might as well have brought 3 changes of clothes). The exclusives don't do much for me, and can be gotten online. If Mark Hamill does show, that will be a regret-I have never met him(We know HF isn't coming). I'm happy about the east coast this time, and my thoughts will be with those who ARE attending.

2-1B
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd like to go but it isn't happening...I was in Florida 11 months ago to visit my sister and it would be nice to go down there for CV but there are too many other things going on this summer. Wedding, honeymoon, basically Wizard World Chicago is my only other big ticket item and I'm just hoping to get a few table scraps from Orlando the week before.

I'd like to meet Mark Hamill too but if I'm ever at the same show he is, I don't think I'd want to pay $150 anyway. :p

A friend's parents met Harrison Ford at an Air Show last summer...he signed a Han Solo figure for them...I am completely jealous !

DarkArtist
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
CV is a big "NOT going to happen" for myself & my family. I haven't worked since 12/18 due to 3 herniated discs(which are healing due to physical therapy traction-looks like no surgery, yeah!) I am collecting workman's comp., but not enough to afford Florida(there are reasonable room rates) even if we drive. Plus, my son Tyler(who was the first to go up on stage to meet Mr. Lucas at CIII) will never tolerate August heat down there. I don't think many of you know what you're in for. It depends on how long you have to wait outside. I was at DisneyWorld once in July, and it was unbearable(you might as well have brought 3 changes of clothes). The exclusives don't do much for me, and can be gotten online. If Mark Hamill does show, that will be a regret-I have never met him(We know HF isn't coming). I'm happy about the east coast this time, and my thoughts will be with those who ARE attending.

totally agree with you about the heat in Orlando in August...unbearable... plus tack on the frequent rain showers everyday and the mugginess and you have typical Orlando weather for the Summer.

well my wife just called and told me that we are all booked with Hotel and Airfare to CV... can't wait. going to get the 4 day pass but not sure if I will be there all day everyday for the convention... might be going back and forth for different times, panels, events etc..

going to be hitting up Universal Studios as well since it's about 2 miles away from the convention center. looking forward to checking out the Harry Potter exhibits.

Warped
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm going....Wife just told me that we made reservations for Nick hotel from the 10th-16th. So we will all have to exchange info and meet up, I'm going for the 4 days and will have my kids (8 and 9) with me.

jonthejedi
02-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Glad to hear it, DarkArtist! We've been getting updates from Universal since the get-go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We got offered a $285 deal for hotel per person for 4 nights & 3 days plus park admission to both Universal & Universal Islands of Adventure. We may actually do that over Memorial Day weekend instead & hit Star Wars Weekends. That's less than $100 a night/day for the hotel AND base park admission. Frankly, it sounds like more fun than August Orlando & 30,000 fans pushing & shoving. My wife & I are "discussing" it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
My family and I still need to get everything planned out, but I'm definitely going. I'm fairly sure we'll also be going to Disney World and Universal Studios mainly for the Harry Potter stuff, but CV is still the main thing and the main reason we're going.

Wow, crap, it's less than six months away. We really better start planning. :p

El Chuxter
02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I won't be there but, if I didn't already say it (and I'm too lazy to look), for anyone visiting Disneyworld, Epcot has what may be the best Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I still don't know, still can't make up my mind. Expenses and heat/humidity are a big issue. Taking another week off from working so soon after SDCC is almost unthinkable. But I want to go, I had such a good time at CIV.

Tycho
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
The humidity is the highest factor discouraging me from going (but I already am set to go anyway). I'm just saying I hate it when you just get out of the shower and feel like your clothing is soaked through as soon as you put clean stuff on.

Now my time in Louisiana wasn't bad, but I had been there in June during some unusually pleasant weather.

Florida is presumably Louisiana turned up a few notches on the humidifyer and set on "boil."

jonthejedi
03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
My wife just had major surgery after a cervical cancer scare; out for 4-6 weeks; I'm returning to work 3/15 after 11 weeks off with 3 herniated discs. Plus my son will never survive Florida in Aug...we have plans for 3 days at both Universal parks & 1 day of SW Weekends over Memorial Day...and we're driving down & back. We just can't swing CV. I didn't go to CIV, but remember mixed reactions.

JediTricks
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Jon, best of luck to you and your wife on her recovery.

CIV was awesomely amazing.

Tycho
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I hope your family is all well and better soon, Jon.

I have some experience with what you're going through, albeit different ailments.

Still, you're doing Florida even sooner than the rest of us going to C5? Brave man.

I didn't go to CIV myself and went to Louisiana to do research for my novel instead.

CIV was in LA, my own neck of the woods (well about 2 hours from San Diego) and I've been there plenty of times. I just didn't see the appeal.

I have family up that way with whom I could have stayed with to cut expenses, but I didn't want to drive in and park every day of the convention. It's more fun to stay on site and party. But I couldn't justify the expense of a hotel less than 30 miles from where I have relatives, too. Plus there was no new movie premier upcoming.

Exploring Florida would be awesome for me though (minus the weather - which is a big factor).

I liked the other out-of-town Celebrations (Denver, Indiannapolis, and now Orlando) because they were adventures. When I was doing some acting, I was up to Los Angeles more frequently than I care to be. Plus family is that way, some friends, and multiple trips to Six Flags, Disney, Knott's, Universal, and Angels baseball amongst other things.

There had to be something more special about an LA Star Wars Celebration to prompt me to go. I guess there just wasn't.

For JT, I'm sure it was really convenient. A lot of our members live in LA anyway. Just as Comic Con is great for me in San Diego - I don't even drive in, I take the trolley so I can go as early or (usually) as late in the day as I want to.

If they move Comic Con to Anaheim (30 minutes south of LA, and 1.5 hours north of me in San Diego) I may not attend - or I'll plan an extended stay at my adopted parents' home and work Disneyland and an Angels' baseball game into it all I guess. Then I might just have to drive in each day.

Comic Con can have a broader appeal than a Star Wars con for me if only because Star Wars is always included in Comic Con to begin with and every year at Comic Con, Friday is Star Wars Day.

Patient Zero
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I am seriously considering going, but the Orlando in August thing is a BIG drawback. I don't know how many are familiar with the climate, but that time of year if you have something outdoors to do, you better do it before 10 am. Anyone thinking about visiting the parks during this time is in for some hurt.

So my question is (for someone that's been to a Celebration before), is there really enough going on at the convention to fill four or even three days?

DarkArtist
03-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I am seriously considering going, but the Orlando in August thing is a BIG drawback. I don't know how many are familiar with the climate, but that time of year if you have something outdoors to do, you better do it before 10 am. Anyone thinking about visiting the parks during this time is in for some hurt.

So my question is (for someone that's been to a Celebration before), is there really enough going on at the convention to fill four or even three days?

defianetly agree with you the weather...it can be brutal at times and you are always geared for a downpour around 12 or 4 pm. (worked for Disney World in '96 so we could always set our clocks by it)

as far as events for all days...it's hard to say. it depends on how you want to spend your time and what you want to see. there are behind the scences stuff, displays, vendors, autograph sessions, promos, various suppliers for SW stuff etc..... I went to CII and remember spending a full day at the convention and going home exhausted from total SW mind freeze.

this year I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay each day as the wife wants to go to Universal one day and I'm sure is going to want to spend a day by the pool getting some sun.

very excited that Carrie Fisher is going to CV...I will gladly wait in line to get an autograph and photo of the Princess.

JediTricks
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Celebration IV had tons of great stuff to do and see. For me, there were lots of panels I wanted to see from companies like Hasbro and celebrity guests and fan panels as well. There was a big exhibit hall that had plenty of neat stuff to ogle and buy, there was a big hall next door for fan activities that was a blast to check out, there were 2 theaters with 1 running the awesome fan film festival and the other running Star Wars commercials and parodies, there was the Vader Helmet Art exhibit which was fantastic, there was the Droid Builders room with tons of great fan-made droids, and there was Lucasfilm archives room with props and costumes. I had a blast at CIV every day, and I think any Star Wars fan should be able to say the same if this year's Celebration is even 75% as good as that.

I'm trying to make a trip to C V happen now, there's a good chance that I will be going at this point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, there is definitely more than enough to see and do while there, including a few sort of "after-hours" events. I love taking several long trips through the exhibit hall. I plan on bugging the Hasbro representatives even more than I did at CIV. :D

Tycho
03-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I am going to use a compass and the building records of the convention hall to find the exact center of the Celebration, and then sit down "Indian-style" and begin a hunger fast until Hasbro makes a Jocasta Nu action figure, along with the Tonnika Sisters! :yes:

I think I may dress up as The Ice Cream Maker Guy when I do this.

Please drop by and sign my petitions.

OC47150
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM

As someone who's attended Celebrations 1 - 3, yes, there is plenty to keep you occupied. There are great panels/discussions/demonstrations to attend. At C2, there were great panels on the SW novels (New Jedi Order and stuff). Met and spoke with Bob Salvatore following one of them. (A very nice fellow). At C3, I had the chance to (finally!) participate in the diorama workshop. It was great to be able to spend a couple of hours there.

The Saturday night of C3, there was a SW in pop culture presentation. Mostly SW clips from TV shows, etc... It was a recorded program. It was supposedly to end at 11 p.m. or something, but it kept playing and I finally had to leave around 1 a.m.! It was weird walking through a deserted convention center but great!

My suggestion/recommendation: Do the big, time consuming activities first, like hitting the con store and getting autographs you want (if that's your thing) on the first day or so. Get it out of the way. Then you have time to go to panels.

I know at C3, several of the Sir Steve's regulars tried to get together. It didn't work out for me; we were heading home the night everyone was getting together for dinner (I think. That's a benefit of only living two hours away). I imagine something like that will happen again.

It kills me that I can't go to C5. :hurt:

Tycho
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I was at that SSG SWC3 post-con dinner get-together.

A lot of us went to TGI Friday's and then out for drinks later, meeting up with the team from Master Replicas. It was a blast!

For these conventions, I try my best to come into town the day before they start and leave the day after they end. That way I don't have to travel at all on convention days and can stay and enjoy everything. I know with work and schedules, or expenses, that's harder for some to do. But if you can, it's worth it.

I schedule everything else at conventions around the panels. I love seeing the actors, writers, artists, directors, and producers interact with the fans - or fans interacting with other fans in some sort of panel discussion format - especially the team from Hasbro!

I don't remember which celebration it was - I think it was C1 in Denver - when I got to publically ask Hasbro if they'd sniffed their Mouse Droids and why they made the electronic Reek so kids could push its private area and it would moan and spasm. :thumbsup:

You can have a lot of fun in those panels.

DarkArtist
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
is anyone else going to go to MGM studios and do the last ride on the Star Tours Speeder to Endor. they are shutting down the ride i believe that night and are having an exclusive party for CV attendees. Star Wars fireworks, Darth Vader Disco and of course rides on the Star Tours attraction and character appearences. My wife and I are going that Saturday night. They are going to keep the park open till 1:00am and have shuttle service for people to go to and from the convention center.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-14-2010, 12:52 AM
They're actually shutting down the Florida Star Tours on September 8. But still, it sounds like it could be really cool, if a bit on the expensive side. My mom and sister are such Disney nuts that I know we'll be going when we're down there, and even when I mentioned the price of the Last Tour to Endor to my mom, she was excited for it.

We'll finally be sitting down soon and figuring everything out. I can't believe it's only three months away. I'm excited.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
is anyone else going to go to MGM studios and do the last ride on the Star Tours Speeder to Endor. they are shutting down the ride i believe that night and are having an exclusive party for CV attendees. Star Wars fireworks, Darth Vader Disco and of course rides on the Star Tours attraction and character appearences. My wife and I are going that Saturday night. They are going to keep the park open till 1:00am and have shuttle service for people to go to and from the convention center.I have a vacation planned for early June, so I plan to ride it, but I'll be nowhere and nowhen near the closing day.

Tycho
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if finances are going to let me make this one.

I may have to adapt and only do Celebration 5 if I go.

I wanted to stay an extra week and do Disney and go speedboating and everything else, having never been in Florida.

However, with my writing career's expenses, this vacation may have to wait.

Then I'd have to decide if Florida will be worth it ONLY for a Star Wars Celebration - especially right after Comic Con.

JediTricks
05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure if finances are going to let me make this one.

I may have to adapt and only do Celebration 5 if I go.

I wanted to stay an extra week and do Disney and go speedboating and everything else, having never been in Florida.

However, with my writing career's expenses, this vacation may have to wait.

Then I'd have to decide if Florida will be worth it ONLY for a Star Wars Celebration - especially right after Comic Con.
Put Florida into the book, then write off the whole trip. ;)

Dar' Argol
05-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Crap on a Popsicle stick!! I'm late to this one. How long ago was this announced?? Anyone trying to get people together to share rooms?? I need to work some numbers out but I'm gonna try to get to this one.

I went to C3 with a few SSG'ers and met a few more and I have to say some of the best times I had was when we were out. The convention was a blast and meeting everyone was great too. LA was a bit far of a trek for me but Florida should be do-able. Tycho if I can make this happen we'll have a drink somewhere . . . lol. Or maybe you can get the owner of another restaurant to get us a round on her!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
As seen all around the interwebs, the big GL himself is gonna be at CV. No "I'm making Indiana Jones" excuse this time. :p

Tycho
05-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Or maybe you can get the owner of another restaurant to get us a round on her!!

Haha. I remember that now! - AT TGI Fridays? Mostly what I remember of the staff there was Brandy :love:

Good times with friends...

OC47150
05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
At C2, Official Pix had a service where you could get a non-personalized celebrity-signed pix from the attendees; you ordered it and picked it up a day or two later. I didn't notice if this service was offered at C3 (I had actors sign action figures and stuff).

But does anyone know if this service or something similar will be offered at C5?

El Chuxter
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I'd want a picture of Barriss Offee in full-make up and a bikini, signed by the actress but using Barriss' name.

Maradona
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Am I the only one disappointed that George Lucas will be attending CV on the other side of the country from his headquarters, but failed to attend CIV which was a 45 minute flight from his home, though I suspect he maintains a residence in Los Angeles somewhere.

It still angers me that George didn't show up to celebrate the 30th anniversary of his creation.

JediTricks
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
As seen all around the interwebs, the big GL himself is gonna be at CV. No "I'm making Indiana Jones" excuse this time. :p
Yeah. I mean, that was only the 30th anniversary of the genesis of his entire fortune and creative freedom, why would he want to go to the city that celebrated it before any other in its original day when he could be off in some drab eastern European country making a mediocre sequel that insulted everything good in the world?

Am I the only one disappointed that George Lucas will be attending CV on the other side of the country from his headquarters, but failed to attend CIV which was a 45 minute flight from his home, though I suspect he maintains a residence in Los Angeles somewhere.

It still angers me that George didn't show up to celebrate the 30th anniversary of his creation.You are most certainly not the only one. I remember the palpable annoyance in the giant room during the "opening ceremonies" where they had a paper bag puppet as the "live feed" and them some paltry recorded message from the flanneled wonder.

2-1B
05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
JT, if he had shown up in L.A. ...would you have applauded him or given him a good dressing down over all the mistakes and blunders he's made with his professional life? :)

JediTricks
05-27-2010, 03:03 AM
It's a "Celebration".

JimJamBonds
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
JT, if he had shown up in L.A. ...would you have applauded him or given him a good dressing down over all the mistakes and blunders he's made with his professional life? :)

If only Stilla was still here so we could ask him the same thing. :rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Haha. I remember that now! - AT TGI Fridays? Mostly what I remember of the staff there was Brandy :love:

Good times with friends...

Yes, Brandy was nice . . . . What happens in Indy . . . lol

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I won't be there but, if I didn't already say it (and I'm too lazy to look), for anyone visiting Disneyworld, Epcot has what may be the best Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at.When I went there, I stopped by the Mexico section and was ready to try the indoor restaurant, but was told it was closed... due to problems in the kitchen. :eek: Had to settle for the outdoor window (very good nachos there, BTW :pleased: ). And then the rains came... sideways. :sad:

Oh, here are some limited edition items for CV shown at SWW in their merchandise shop. The flash blanked out the 5-piece pin set of the same characters from the Boarding Party action figure set.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
So, what could be better than an hourlong interview with George Lucas at CV? Well, how about one hosted by Jon Stewart (http://starwars.com/fans/events/jonstewart_celebrationv/index.html)? Damn, that is too much awesomeness to handle!!! I would never have expected that!

DarkArtist
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
hey is anyone thinking of submitting photos of SW collections for the panel. read something over at Rebelscum.com that they are looking for fans to send in photos of their collections to make a panel of how the fans of SW display their stuff. I'm thinking of doing this...

also does anyone think they are going to be attending the diorama building workshop at CV.. also thinking about doing this but I'm not 100% sure right now.

Tycho
06-24-2010, 09:41 PM
While I'm not sure I'm going to C5 - there are a lot of ways I can stretch my finances to do many more fun things this summer for that kind of cost - I won't likely do the Diorama Builder workshop with NiubNiub (Frank).

I know and like (and admire greatly) Frank, however I think the topic for the diorama workshop is Hoth - likely due to the ESB anniversary and the release of the AT-AT which I'm sure he'll get Hasbro to donate a few - or at least lend them (well I hope he will and I bet Darryl would be game for it - great advertising!).

However, there are key locations in the Star Wars universe that I'd much prefer to work on because they are much more difficult:

Theed (Naboo), Galactic City (Coruscant), Tipocau City (Kamino) and Utopau for several.

Frank has successfully done diorama workshops for many celebrations now:

C2 - Mos Eisley
C3 - Death Star
C4 - Endor
C5 - Hoth

Obviously the timing for these and the OT's popularity, as well as the difficulty level of the dioramas are factors in the subject-choice consideration.

If I attend Celebration, I'll definitely stop by to say "hello" to Frank and see what's going on, admire the work, and so forth.

However, Hoth is the darn easiest diorama to build in all of Star Wars - though depending upon how much detail he puts into Echo Base, it can be challenging.

Cloud City and Dagobah are the more difficult choices. I'd also be interested in how Frank builds a sailbarge - though I'd prefer Hasbro did it :D

Theed's unusual buildings and the 3-point perspective construction necessary to build Galactic City would be two of the most difficult undertakings. Kamino's cloning labs would be a huge boon, too. Utopau would surely pose it's own challenges, too!

nohagent
06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Sadly I won't be making CV either. I promised my kid but that was before my EX incessantly continued to drag me though court seeking money. We have spent $60k between the two of us in attorney's fees, yet she has not won a dime. Problem for me is that I have paid 30k to the lawyer to keep myself from becoming her indentured servant. You would have thought by now that she would realize that the is wasting so much and in doing so she is taking from the kid, who of course spends 50% time with me as well as here. She was lashing out at me now for not taking him to CV. I told her "how can I go when you are wasting all our money in court for nothing?"

Tycho
06-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry nohagent.

Tragically, it all sounds so common these days.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm currently doing a bit of rearranging in my SW room, so when I'm done I might take some pictures and submit them. If they show them, cool; if not, no big deal.

DTMAN
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend due to finances. Whoops, did not meant to put thumbs down.

However, it helped me decide. I thought it was hot on the outside.
Agree to PatientZero regarding weather. I feel it will be brutal. I did not understand their timing.

As to Dark Artist, I agree. It depends on what you want to do. Plenty of events, in fact, it felt overstuffed. The problem is eventually you will have to leave the place. Feel sorry for one in costumes.
As to Fisher, better order coupon on line or use their service. Otherwise, you will wait in long lines.

For me, best one was C2, but for many reasons. CIII was fine, but store line was worse. CIV improved esp. with store opened 24 hours but some items wanted sold out 1st day.

My suggestion: If there for all 4 days, Try to schedule what you REALLY want. If you plan autographs, buy coupons in advance to save time. Be prepared to stand in line if you want certain exclusives. If all possible, pre-order since it will save time and aggreviation. Since Official Pix offer services, take advantage since not all will do this. For me, panels were the toughest to schedule since some were at the same time.

Good Luck. You're gonna to need it. Thank you.

defianetly agree with you the weather...it can be brutal at times and you are always geared for a downpour around 12 or 4 pm. (worked for Disney World in '96 so we could always set our clocks by it)

as far as events for all days...it's hard to say. it depends on how you want to spend your time and what you want to see. there are behind the scences stuff, displays, vendors, autograph sessions, promos, various suppliers for SW stuff etc..... I went to CII and remember spending a full day at the convention and going home exhausted from total SW mind freeze.

this year I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay each day as the wife wants to go to Universal one day and I'm sure is going to want to spend a day by the pool getting some sun.

very excited that Carrie Fisher is going to CV...I will gladly wait in line to get an autograph and photo of the Princess.

Dar' Argol
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, I've been doing a lot of side work and a have a friend coming with me, so we just bought our tickets and got the hotel last week. We'll be buying the airfare next weekend!

Tycho, I really hope you can find a way down, it would be awesome to see you again!

Do we have a list of what SSG'ers are heading down yet? I'll be taking the official SSG name badge from CIII with me.

Orlando here we come . . . maybe I'll even take a trip to see the Slick(ers Mom).

dindae
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I will be attending. My sister met me in Indy one day for C3 and had a blast even though her extent of Star Wars fandom was seeing most of the movies. So for Christmas she decided to get tickets for me and my girlfriend and herself. I'm looking forward to it. I'm pleased with the guest list so far. I'm sure the main thing on our list will be the Lucas/Stewart interview. Thursday will probably be me standing in autograph lines until I'm done. One nice thing this year will be the fact that all of us will have cell phones so I don't have to choose between standing in line doing something like picking up an exclusive or an autograph and having people stay with me being bored or skipping them and doing what all of us want to do. I do think I will skip any exclusive if the line is very long. Hasbro has been good about offering them after the fact so I don't know that it is worth standing in line to get the figures when I could be seeing a panel or something.

Tycho
07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I am now able to put the finances together for the trip.

I long ago booked my hotel room and my reservation is still good until I may cancel it at the end of the month.

I am contemplating buying airfare. That will be non-refundable.

But I am still unsure about whether I will go to this event or not.

The temptation is greater, now that I have the money.

Alternative uses for that money (and the weather in Florida) are prompting my current concerns. Yes, I can get the exclusives online.

If I want to though, I now can also buy the Hot Toys Terminator 12" collection including ones I can no longer get from SideShow - for an example of an expensive way to "waste" money.

See, the Convention is in August. I would still have those Terminator figures next August, and the August after that one, and so-on.

I do not like waiting in lines and do not go to these things for autographs or to buy exclusives. I enjoy the pannel discussions, but also like meeting up with you guys from the website. Thing is - I get the chance at a lot of that at Comic Con.

Hmmmm. Decisions-decisions.

Cost-Benefit Analysis (done cold-heartedly) still suggests not going. But I haven't made up my mind entirely.

Oh - I also could further my pilot's license with that money. Another thing to think about.

TeeEye7
07-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Yes, I can get the exclusives online.

But can you get the experience of meeting up with Dar again online?

Something else to think about......

Dar' Argol
07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
But can you get the experience of meeting up with Dar again online?

Something else to think about......

Precisely!! I mean Dar' on the net is one thing, but Dar' Live is another 6 sessions at your psychiatrist at least!!

And think about the experience that you can't buy . . . . well, you do have to pay for airfare, hotel, tickets . . . . but still, you can't buy that experiance . . . lol

Dindae - I don't think I met you at Indy, but I'll meet you in Orlando! The Dar' Live experience is something to . . . um . . .experience . . . yeah!

El Chuxter
07-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Dar live? Now even I'm thinking of going. Have you considered a world tour?

Dar' Argol
07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Dar live? Now even I'm thinking of going. Have you considered a world tour?

I would but I've been banned from some countries due to some unfortunate monkey incidents . . . . .

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Spike TV has a contest where if you answer these six trivia questions correctly, you're in a drawing for tickets to C5. I need some help on this one I saw yesterday:

Which Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting each other, which character fights against Emperor Palaptine?I'm stumped. :confused: I thought it was Sly Moore or Jar Jar, but I think they're wrong.

JediTricks
07-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Spike TV has a contest where if you answer these six trivia questions correctly, you're in a drawing for tickets to C5. I need some help on this one I saw yesterday:
I'm stumped. :confused: I thought it was Sly Moore or Jar Jar, but I think they're wrong.
Pretty sure it was Beavis.

Lord Malakite
07-05-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm stumped. :confused: I thought it was Sly Moore or Jar Jar, but I think they're wrong.
The wording of the question sounds slightly off. I think the question should of read something along the lines of "When Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting each other, which character fights against Emperor Palpatine?"

The correct answer is definitely Beavis.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2010, 09:53 AM
And it was more like: "While... which character wages a desperate battle against..."

Other queries I've seen:
"While Luke is the star of the films, which character do the Ewoks think is a god?" [I'm leaning towards Yarna]

"Who is Anakin's bitter rival in the pod race?" [Clearly, this is Dud Bolt]

Haven't seen the other 3.

JediTricks
07-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Other queries I've seen:
"While Luke is the star of the films, which character do the Ewoks think is a god?" [I'm leaning towards Yarna]Close, it's Ackmena.

"Who is Anakin's bitter rival in the pod race?" [Clearly, this is Dud Bolt]Trick question, he has 2 rivals: the audience, and an advancing storyline. He beats them both quite soundly.

jonthejedi
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I won't be attending CV, but for those coming to Orlando...please make every effort to visit Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Islands of Adventure, sample some frozen Butter Beer & most definitely go on the ride inside the castle(Forbidden Journey)...freakin' state of the art, and makes Star Tours look like a Radio Flyer push wagon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm going to Wizarding World, so glad to hear you liked it! I read one review that was less than stellar, but it still looks pretty cool.

They just announced that Mark Hamill is going to be at CV. His autograph ticket is a whopping $125 so I'll likely pass on that but I'll definitely try to hear him talk on stage!

I know David Prowse was barred from going due to "burning too many bridges" between him and Lucasfilm, but why hasn't Billy Dee Williams been announced yet? He's usually at everything.

jonthejedi
07-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Our family went to the "soft opening" over Memorial Day, prior to the Grand Opening. They had problems Day 1, we got stuck in the line for the ride inside the castle, but 1 1/2 hours later we got on...it was worth the wait & pictures don't do it justice. Day 2 went like clockwork, and we were asked if we wanted to stay on the ride for a 2nd bout. Hell, yes!(Got to see some of the behind-the-scene techs at work which was very cool). Make sure you grab breakfast at the 3 Broomsticks in Hogsmeade.

jonthejedi
07-15-2010, 04:20 AM
...here's a coupla more teases:

Tycho
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Why is David Prowse at odds with Lucasfilm?

BTW, I'm not going to C5.

jonthejedi
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
BTW, me neither...and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The exclusives suck this year, and I can get 'em online anywho. It would be nice to meet Mark Hamill, but it's not worth the August heat & sweat.

Tycho
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I've gotten to meet Mark Hamill.

It was actually very special for me as I related to him how I was involved in the hobby all my life and I wound up meeting another enthusiast (BobaFrett) here on this site, who would become my kidney donor who wound up saving my life.

There are a few people involved with Star Wars - and specifically the Original Trilogy - with whom I'd like to relate my story to and let them know what it meant to me.

Carrie Fisher is often at Comic Con and I would guess I'd have another chance to meet her as well as Peter Meyhew, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, and Kenny Baker, possibly David Prowse.

I'm sure George Lucas and Harrison Ford are the most difficult to ever meet from the OT cast, but no doubt they'd be the several most appropriate to thank for making Star Wars happen.

So there's no confusion, Barry (Frett) made my miracle happen, and out of any of the celebrities, George Lucas created the phenomenon through which I met all of you. Even had Harrison Ford not starred, the film would have happened (with some measure of success of another - but possibly Kurt Russel or another actor would have gotten the Han Solo role).

Yet telling Mark Hamill about my own special Star Wars anecdote was special to me, and with noting that I may never meet George Lucas, it's.....

Hmmmm. That got me thinking that maybe I ought to go to Florida anyway. But ah - I can write him a letter just the same. If he reads the Star Wars Insider at all, the story of BobaFrett and me was covered.

Anyway, yes I was very glad to have met Mark Hamill and explained how uniquely special Star Wars is for me.

I do want like 3 of the Cammie / Fixer 2-packs however. But yeah - online ordering should suffice for me to get my "Moisture Farmer" action figures so I can recreate my diorama of a blue milk farm to go with my 31-Flavors Ice Cream Shop and Jek Porkins Hamburger Stand recreations with my action figures.

Dar' Argol
07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Its a shame I won't be seeing you there Tycho, would have been good to catch up.

nohagent
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I am commited, bought airfare and hotel today to go to CV. I will be there longer than the Celebration so I looking for discount tix to places like Disney and Universal. Anyone have any tips?

jonthejedi
08-07-2010, 04:19 AM
At this point in time, nobody online. You might try the hotel itself. Please try to set aside some time for Wizarding World of Harry Potter(do castle 1st & Forbidden Journey ride, then work back towards the entrance). at Universal Island of Adventure...it's incredible. You can check out some of my pix. posted earlier.

JEDIpartner
08-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Everyone have fun!!! I won't be there either, but I'll be thinking of you all!!! :love:

Dar' Argol
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
So am I the only one here?? Come on SSG . . . . WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?!

figrin bran
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I wish I would have gone...

Steve, thanks so much for the great photos! Keep 'em coming!

El Chuxter
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
So am I the only one here?? Come on SSG . . . . WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?!

JJL's there somewhere. Probably dressed as a particularly funny-looking Aayla Secura. I dunno who else.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
My ghost is etherially in the Orlando region, from this summer's SW Weekends in the Disney kingdom sites. Look closely and you might see some Converse All-Star scuff marks and the sidewalks there. Sorry we can't be there to support you, Dar'. You aren't the ONLY human there, a la Burgess Meredith in The Twilight Zone, are you?

Maerj2000
08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I wish I could be there right now too. If only I had relocated to Orlando oh so many years ago. :cry: On the bright side, George himself just announced the movies on Bluray in 2011 featuring deleted scenes. Finally! Hooray!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 12:52 AM
I was indeed there, and it was beyond amazing. The best one yet? It's hard to say, but Saturday, at least, was so jam-packed with wall-to-wall awesomeness and there was a ton of cool stuff everywhere and at all times. I went with my mom and sister, and we went to Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Disney World in the three days before the con. More details and thoughts will come later, as I'm damn tired right now.

Dar' Argol
08-16-2010, 05:13 PM
It was a lot of fun. The 501st costuming panel on the Clone Wars armor was very informative. I'm going to strive the next year or so to assemble a Captain Rex set of armor. Seeing Ray Park was awesome as well. This was a good Celebration, great venue, great things to see. But I think C3 is still my favorite mainly because it was my first and I got to meet so many people from here. But this was still a good Celebration.

DarkArtist
08-17-2010, 10:01 AM
CV was a giant blast..the first time my wife experience SW through 1000's of fans eyes and she was blown away by the amount of fans in costumes. the exhibits were cool (got to get Carrie Fisher's autograph on Saturday :thumbsup:), met Ashley Eckstein and Matt Lanter, attended a bunch of panels at the convention (can't wait for TFU II) and was blown away at the Hasbro Panel (finally getting some really cool long overdo figures and updated figures), the behind the scenes of Empire with Lorne Peterson was awesome, as well as the Masters of Sound with Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood... The Robot Chicken panel was awesome can't wait to see Episode III in December..(now if only they had a Family Guy panel...can't wait to see "It's a Trap !" also attended the Strange Case of Origami Yoda panel and got to make origami versions of Yoda, Vader and Ackbar.

Caught the One Man Star Wars Trilogy and loved every minute of it...if you ever get a chance to see him perform I say don't miss it...

The Main Event was awesome (love the deleted scene from Jedi - would love to see it spliced into the movie....+ Blue-Ray in 2011).

The Last Tour to Endor was alot of fun...got to see the Indiana Jones and the Jedi Temple of Doom show with a cast of SW folk....missed the George Lucas / Mark Hamill shows... rode Star Tours about 5 times (sad to see it leave). met Jon Stewart (was shopping at Endor vendors with his kids) and spotted Seth Green as well. the fireworks display was amazing and gave me chills and the Hyperspace Hoopla was alot of fun.

My wife entered me in the Star Wars Trivia Contest and I won the Grand Prize of a Sideshow Exclusive Rancor Bust with Luke Skywalker....very Awesome..they said my name is going to be Starwars.com in the CV section.

the exclusives were cool, was able to get the 4-Lom / Zuckuss set, Camie and Fixer comic pack, Starspeeder 1000 plus all the free swag at the convention from cards to posters to unpunched cardbacks from Hasbro (as well as several of the GH Luke Pilot figure).

can't wait for C VI (and I think I'm definately going to dress in costume this time. I'm even thinking about joining the 501st if they have a chapter in New Jersey.

My mind is on total SW overload after the event..need to relax and chill out a bit...

hopefully will be able to see everyone at C VI

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
My wife entered me in the Star Wars Trivia Contest and I won the Grand Prize of a Sideshow Exclusive Rancor Bust with Luke Skywalker....very Awesome..they said my name is going to be Starwars.com in the CV section.
Which one were you in? Both the Thursday and Sunday sessions? I tried both Thursday sessions, got pretty far the second time, but never made it up to the panel.

DarkArtist
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Which one were you in? Both the Thursday and Sunday sessions? I tried both Thursday sessions, got pretty far the second time, but never made it up to the panel.

was in the 1st Thursday one I think the 6:00 one and advanced to the Sunday contest at 3:30.

won the Millennium Falcon Box Set of Star Wars galaxy Series 1 trading cards for the first round and then on Sunday I won the championship and got the Sideshow exclusive Rancor Bust with Luke Skywalker.

it was alot of fun.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2010, 04:16 PM
was in the 1st Thursday one I think the 6:00 one and advanced to the Sunday contest at 3:30.

won the Millennium Falcon Box Set of Star Wars galaxy Series 1 trading cards for the first round and then on Sunday I won the championship and got the Sideshow exclusive Rancor Bust with Luke Skywalker.

it was alot of fun.
Nice work! Were you there when Alan Harris (Bossk) had his tumble? He brushed himself off and said "Not bad for a 72-year-old man; I do my own stunts!" :D

DarkArtist
08-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Nice work! Were you there when Alan Harris (Bossk) had his tumble? He brushed himself off and said "Not bad for a 72-year-old man; I do my own stunts!" :D

I do remember something like that but my back was to the door and we were heading out, (had dinner reservations). I thought it was cool that he was reading off trivia questions about Bossk though... that was awesome...

also the fan who was dressed like Bossk was impressive...that costume was amazing in detail.

I had a brain freeze though on Sunday when the first question of the final round was: Name the actor that played Uncle Owen in A New Hope...could not remember his name for the life of me and then finally scribbled down Phil Brown at the last second and got lucky... I finally caught my breath about 30 minutes later when I was sitting down in the food court.

all in all a great time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2052308&id=1077720066) are the pictures from the first two days at Celebration V, on my Facebook, so hopefully people here can see them. I have captions on several of them to explain stuff. Looking back is making me nostalgic already . . . I can't wait for Celebration VI! :D

JediTricks
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Facebook media require a login, so I cannot see them.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Do I see a forthcoming JediTricks/JabbaJohnL Facebook friendship blooming now? ;)

JediTricks
08-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Unlikely, I am holding the line against Facebook. I did the Myspace thing, this is the same crap, just different wallpaper, so I'm sticking with Doc Hammer of the Venture Bros and keeping off FB.

A buddy of mine bothers me ALL THE F'ING TIME about facebook too, it's so annoying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2010, 12:43 AM
It's kind of a b**ch putting them up on Facebook and organizing them, but I'll post highlights here later, then.

El Chuxter
08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
I'd stay away from Facebook except that's the only contact I have with many of my high school and college friends, mostly three time zones away from me. It also is easier than e-mailing pictures to aunts and uncles and such.

DarkArtist
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd stay away from Facebook except that's the only contact I have with many of my high school and college friends, mostly three time zones away from me. It also is easier than e-mailing pictures to aunts and uncles and such.

I actually signed up for the exact same reason... most of my high school and college buddies live all over the world so it's easier to catch up with them on Facebook...

I'll try to post some pics on FB as soon as possible as well as here...

El Chuxter
08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
And now I'm glad I'm on Facebook, because I can "friend" North Korea! lol

(Look up the news article. If not for their nukes and bat-guano insane leader, they'd be a neverending source of laughter with their incompetence.)