PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan in Clone Armor

Tycho
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Sadly, this figure looks like it will disappoint.

The softgoods look cheap on this one. Perhaps the best way to go softgoods would have been to use a very opaque and heavy cloak on an SA figure.

Otherwise, I'd have liked a less articulated figure, with more solid sculpting and defined coloring achieved with an all-plastic figure.

Discuss.

Dark Marble
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I think that this figure should have been easy to produce, but expectations of it are so high that I believe anything that gets put out would disappoint. I would love to see this figure done right along with a bike for him to ride. Is Obi in clone armor really that tall of an order?

Adam
07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I found this one today. Except for the head, he is great! Has ball jointed hips, so he can easily ride a speeder bike. Only "standard" SA joint he lacks is the torso. Also doesn't include the gree-wrist joints. I tried some head swaps with other figures and the old battle back version of the armored Kenobi fits great, the Ep3 and comic pack Clone Wars versions fit as well, but are loose.

The head is weird, I actually like the way the hair is sculpted, its just his facial expression that is strange.

Tycho
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey Adam: thanks for your review. It's good news he's "repairable" (via the head-swap). But why can't Hasbro get out a figure we're all satisfied with.

Since Ewan took the role, there have been so few figures I've thought were actually of any quality:

TPM - the only one was the two pack with Maul where he cuts the Sith Lord in half. He has an "attack expression," so it's not universally useable, but it's a good figure.

AOTC - really had NONE that I can think of. I guess the mullet-wearing 2-pack that came with the Comic and Alpha was alright. I really concentrate on looking at Alpha when I examine that set.

ROTS had the best figures that actually looked like Ewan. The Red Leader Pilot (one of the last of 2005's offerings) was by far and away the best prequel Obi-Wan figure. The earlier ones from the collection were alright. I'm not sure how he became suddenly so apparently skinny when they re-used the figure for the TAC "swimming" version, but it started going downhill for Obi-Wan from 2007 on. I think all his 2006 figures were re-packs, but can't remember for the moment.

AOTC by and large, really needs some decent head-sculpts and they can re-use TPM's "Naboo" (all-plastic) Jedi robes figure body very easily - or add articulation to that. Then they can mess around with softgoods on the same version.

The EU Clone Armor version really needs an all-plastic alternative. I like BOTH, btw. I'm not dissing softgoods. But we've already had this figure before in the battle pack (which I gladly DID NOT BUY), so I just want something that I like. Obi-Wan is about my favorite SW character - surely he is for the prequels anyway.

Adam
07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah I agree. I feel bad for the inevitable collector who passes on this Obi-Wan because of the face sculpt. I'm starting to like it more as I get used to it, there have deffinately been far worse before. We know there is the former-Evolutions Obi-Wan from AOTC coming.. hopefully he has a good noggin and it fits on this one too. That way if he comes out on a battlepack eventually I can switch noggins and still have the original.

Tycho
07-19-2008, 09:05 AM
A new picture has surfaced that shows Obi-Wan much improved.

In Rebelscum's coverage of their Tokyo event, an Obi-Wan Clone Armor figure was shown with molded painted plastic forming the "vest" part of his Jedi robe, over the Clone armor. This looks much better than the thin, weak cloth. (Now a heavy cloth could have also looked great). But it's nice to see the figure improved a little. I hope this is how he'll be released. He could be a great, and definitive Obi-Wan figure.

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
I like the head sculpt on General Kenobi in the Clone Wars carded example.
This figure has recently been re-released in the Target order 66 2-packs.
The figure itself has limited posing ability, but the head looks really good, and it's from the same timeline.

Adam
07-20-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't think that head is ball jointed though.. is it?

A new picture has surfaced that shows Obi-Wan much improved.

In Rebelscum's coverage of their Tokyo event, an Obi-Wan Clone Armor figure was shown with molded painted plastic forming the "vest" part of his Jedi robe, over the Clone armor. This looks much better than the thin, weak cloth. (Now a heavy cloth could have also looked great). But it's nice to see the figure improved a little. I hope this is how he'll be released. He could be a great, and definitive Obi-Wan figure.

Well that is how mine is. The only cloth parts are the cape and bottom of the robe, or skirt if you will.

jedibear
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I picked this figure up at Midnight Madness...guess I'm easy to please because I think it's great! I'm especially impressed with the cloth...hasbro has been doing a great job with the cloth accents on figures lately.

The snarl on the face sculpt is a bit much, but the mullet looks good. This one will tide me over until Sideshow's version arrives...

Umbra
07-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I cracked mine open last night and must say i really like it, I'm not a normal soft goods fan, but i think they were used well and to good effect here. I do agree that the head sculpt is weird, and i switched it with the battle pack version which seems to fit better. Though I think a small repaint could help the head a lot, change his hair from very reddish to his Red Leader more "tanish" hair color and his eyes are painted looking up, a more forward expression would have been nice as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
He looks terrible with the helmet on, and his flame red hair is too much. But otherwise it's pretty good.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I had this one in my hands yesterday, and ultimately put it back because the paint was sloppy and the head is a failure. Plus, they made him kinda barrel-chested, that doesn't look right at all to me. But the rest worked well enough that I did consider it for a while.

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
The CW version is alot better, IMO. It's not that the Legacy one is a horrible figure, its just his facial expression bugs me.

Kidhuman
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
The CW version is alot better, IMO. It's not that the Legacy one is a horrible figure, its just his facial expression bugs me.

I agree with the CW being the better figure. The helmet looks way way too big on this guy.

Tycho
08-02-2008, 02:51 AM
I want only 2 of him, and I've bought 6 (and returned 4) already, trying to bring home the best paint jobs I can find.

I'm very frustrated with this figure! I'm so close to being done with him.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Well, it's official, until I am financially doing better, I'm just not going to buy this figure. I saw a STACK of 'em today, picked out 2 with good paint, then proceeded to put them back on pegs.

Ando
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I "fixed" mine by swapping out the heads with one of my TAC Obi Wan figures and using one of the helmets from the clone in training fatigues as opposed to that oversized thing they included, along with popping off the lower part of the legs and replacing it with the ones from one of my canibalized clones because the the legs they used were warped or bowed and both bent in the same direction.

I tried using the head from the Comic Pac Obi Wan, but the smaller helmet just wouldn't fit.

AmanaMatt
08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Hasbro needs to turn away from the removable helmet and do what they did with the Animated version of this character - to a interchangeable helmet and head! Looks much, much better!

Ando
08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Hasbro needs to turn away from the removable helmet and do what they did with the Animated version of this character - to a interchangeable helmet and head! Looks much, much better!

Or make all of the neck pegs the same size/shape so you can make an SA clone trooper into any Jedi General in white armor.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
I like the play value I get with removeable helmets though. I always did since the vintage days and the disguise figures like Leia Boussh and Lando Skiff Guard.