PDA

View Full Version : Venture Bros

mabudonicus
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Since the GiJoe thread got on this and went back on topic, AND since as of last night I'm fully caught up figured I'd start one here

This damn show is one of the funniest things ever conceived, IMO

The weird thing about it is that in it's third season it is somehow getting better (tho Brock has mellowed a LOT and doesn't quite get the action he used to so far)

That "C'mon they're just bein kids" damn near killed me

So I'll leave it there to start but I KNOW there's folks enjoying this sucker as much as I am
:beard: Iso&Baws

"Yeah, they never show that part on TV"

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Last week's episode was cute, but I think it could have been stronger in a few places. More flashbacks, a tighter storyline for Dean, and a better ending. It's like they just ran out of gas and needed a fast reason why Rusty and Dr Quymn weren't going to hook up.

I think this season works better because there's more balance, not every episode is about The Monarch this year. But nothing can top season 1 IMO.

This week's t-shirt at astrobasego.com (http://astrobasego.com) is "Dean!" which is a major cop-out considering we never got our Rusty Venture classic cartoon logo or the OSI/GI Joe logo shirt.

Kidhuman
07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I love this show. My fave of the season was the party at Hatreds house. So many laughs in that one. Why dont they shoot the damned crossbow!

mabudonicus
07-12-2008, 08:04 AM
"Nawww, I'm waiting to see this guy shoot that crossbow, things huge!!"

HAHAHA good call KH
:beard: Isio&Baws
the naked confrontation was pretty funny too

Blue2th
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool, Mabs started a Venture Bros thread :thumbsup:

I have to catch up on last weeks episode.

2-1B
07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I've honestly never even seen a preview for this. What is it?

mabudonicus
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Hard to explain well...

It's KIND of like a really good Johnny Quest parody, but throw in elements of superhero parody (this IS by a lot of the guys who did the Tick, but this one is more direct references and not quite so "wacky") and some fairly "adult" humour and pretty over-the-top violence and you have what Venture Bros basically amounts to.

It's not really formulaic in the slightest so every episode is something prety much unlike what came before...

And the "muscle" of the team is Brock Samson and he kicks all kinds of hilarious butt, he's completely unflappable, unstoppable and very "upfront" and gets most of the good lines IMO

That episode wher ehe riped that ghosts arm off and killled him with it was priceless... And Brocks "dream scenario" with the bears riding motorcycles while he rode that giant battle dniosaur was AWESOME- I hope Chux saw that one at least

Dunno if you'd like it, Deuce, but it IS brilliant and not "goofy", which is where I find a lot of recent cartoons fall down

El Chuxter
07-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Isn't John Kricfalusi of Ren & Stimpy involved in some capacity, too? The animation style definitely looks like his type of thing.

I don't follow it, but it's been hilarious every time I've seen it.

2-1B
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I found this SW comp on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajocXQg445s

Good to see Nien Nunb with a cameo.

Tip of the cap to The Deuce as well, with that little guy doing hand surgery on that guy.

JediTricks
07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
This show is the best. Do yourself a favor and buy season 1 on DVD, you will not regret it.

Isn't John Kricfalusi of Ren & Stimpy involved in some capacity, too? The animation style definitely looks like his type of thing.No, not even a little. He's off doing web cartoons mostly and pay-for-draw.

mabudonicus
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Gotta second your recommendation there JT, any of us geek-types who likes fun should be well pleased, even on a "blind" purchase.

I am leery of "adult cartoons" and have odd tastes for the most part (like I never could stand Ren and Stimpy, hate futurama, family guy, not a huge fan of ATHF) so the first time my buddy (who is also hit and miss on stuff) brought it over and was telling me how much I'd like it, I was a tad hesitant. I think we watched all of season one with tears in our eyes that day, laughing SO hard, and we basically set out to find the whole series once the last episode concluded.

Can't recommend this show highly enough almost- it is heartening to see this kind of thing coming out, what with how much virtually content-free CRAP is out there nowadays.
I like how pretty much all the characters are functionally retarded in some way or other, usually by personality quirks. Pretty much every character is hilariously sympathetic (EXCEPT for Hatred lol) and most of their schtick is rather slick.

You can realy tell that most of the folks involved both KNOW funny AND are having a BLAST doing it.

Oyes, truly brilliant :D

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
One thing I really love about the series is that they really are able to capture "the beauty of failure". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venture_Bros.#Failure
There's something epically funny about the way they capture failure all around them in a semi-non-depressing manner. Doc's a failure as a scientist, his father was a failure as a father, Brock's not being the spy he could be, the boys aren't as good adventurers as their father was in that age, the Monarch's a failure of an archvillain, etc.. It's a funny slant on life and on storytelling, and I really respond to it.

mabudonicus
07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I guess that's what I was picking up on with the "functionally retarded" comment. There is no "triumph" in the show, everyone always comes out dead last somehows yet still they persist.
Thanks for pointing that out JT, it really does accurately cover the program- and it says season 4 is already confirmed :D

Dr.Impossible was just plain WRONG- that human torch parody was HILARIOUS

Blue2th
07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm enjoying the heck out of this cartoon lol

I am so reminded of "Jonny Quest" one of my favorite series. Sure enough in the opening credits there was a reference to JQ with the giant mechanical spider.

Since I turned off my cable TV, I can only catch what I can on the Adult Swim site, so I don't know how far behind I am on the latest episodes.

I would like to buy season one on DVD, anybody got a line on where to get the best deal? Obviously this is not available off the shelf at the major retailers.

JediTricks
07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I guess that's what I was picking up on with the "functionally retarded" comment. There is no "triumph" in the show, everyone always comes out dead last somehows yet still they persist. So very true. And it doesn't even matter if they know they're failing or not, they're still trying for whatever reasons - half the time, "Doctor" Venture (not actually a doctor of anything, more failure, nice) knows he's a worthless sack, and the other half he buys his own spin, and either way it turns out juuuuust right for us, the viewer. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out JT, it really does accurately cover the program- and it says season 4 is already confirmed :DSure thing. The only sad part about that season 4 thing is that they're working on it now, while working on season 3 as well. Why is that sad? Because Doc & Jackson can't both attend Comic-Con next week, Doc will be there while Jackson is going to Dragoncon instead. And in unselfish news, that means that SEASON 4 WILL BE HERE SOONER! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Dr.Impossible was just plain WRONG- that human torch parody was HILARIOUSOh man, that with the Invisible Girl parody with the invisible skin only had me HOWLING.

I am so reminded of "Jonny Quest" one of my favorite series. Sure enough in the opening credits there was a reference to JQ with the giant mechanical spider.The skull and some of the characters shown in season 1's credits were also a big Jonny Quest reference. That's what attracted me to the pilot, they really knocked that one out of the park, and I was so thrilled when AS picked up the series. Mummies and flying jets and hoverbikes and poor, poor Scamp. :D

Since I turned off my cable TV, I can only catch what I can on the Adult Swim site, so I don't know how far behind I am on the latest episodes.

I would like to buy season one on DVD, anybody got a line on where to get the best deal? Obviously this is not available off the shelf at the major retailers.My mom and stepdad are like you, they were watching on Adult Swim but missed a few eps and fell out of step. I got the DVDs at Target, I think. I know they have them there, but like $25 (a show this good, I am willing to pay that). Amazon has season 1 for $18.50 and season 2 for $17 - treat yourself and buy, they're great sets, even the artwork is fantastic. Best Buy has 'em each for $17 on sale right now.

Blue2th
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM
The skull and some of the characters shown in season 1's credits were also a big Jonny Quest reference. That's what attracted me to the pilot, they really knocked that one out of the park, and I was so thrilled when AS picked up the series. Mummies and flying jets and hoverbikes and poor, poor Scamp. :D

My mom and stepdad are like you, they were watching on Adult Swim but missed a few eps and fell out of step. I got the DVDs at Target, I think. I know they have them there, but like $25 (a show this good, I am willing to pay that). Amazon has season 1 for $18.50 and season 2 for $17 - treat yourself and buy, they're great sets, even the artwork is fantastic. Best Buy has 'em each for $17 on sale right now.
Thanks, think I'll go down to Best Buy tomorrow then. If I can't find it there, I'll go to Target.

I might even check for Jonny Quest DVD if I can find it.

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
The only released the first season of Jonny Quest on DVD, and it's over $30. Still, it's one of the best-looking Hanna Barbera cartoons ever.

El Chuxter
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I wonder if they'll ever release The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest. I hate the original, but, aside from some really sketchy CG, Real Adventures was a great show.

Blue2th
07-18-2008, 02:07 AM
The only released the first season of Jonny Quest on DVD, and it's over $30. Still, it's one of the best-looking Hanna Barbera cartoons ever.

Yeah no such luck finding any Jonny Quest in the stores. Wonder why they would just release season one?
I did pick up season two Venture Bros. for $17 at Best Buy, which I think is a sweet deal. :thumbsup:
No sign of season one anywhere. Guess I'll try online.

JediTricks
07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
My guess is because season 2 was half as many eps, and they don't think they can get away with charging $30 again, but don't want to charge less.

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I want to watch season one before I open season two, just in case there is a timeline. I'll get it somewhere.

Funny thing, I was going through the die-cast isle at Target today, and in the Greenlight section there was a red 69 Charger just like Brock's ha! I had to buy it. At 3.99 they are pricey, with die-cast body and chassis, 1:64, but even better than JL's.

JediTricks
07-20-2008, 02:42 AM
The show definitely has a continuity which flows through season 1 and 2 and now 3, do not mess that up or you will not be as happy. There are characterization reveals that are especially fun in season 1 which have stronger payoffs in season 2 but you have to know these people (it's not always minutiae). Not every ep is continuous, but stuff makes brilliant comebacks. I would suggest getting season 1 DVD, watching the pilot (on disc 2 :ermm: ) then the whole season 1, then the X-mas special which was brilliant (also disc 2), then season 1 commentaries if you want, maybe check out the live-action documentary which is hilariously bizarre, then watch season 2 and enjoy your brains out.

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Went to Best Buy online and picked up Venture Bros season one for 14.99 with free shipping. That's even better than the $17 I paid for season two.

I can't wait till it gets here.

JediTricks
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Very nice!

Last Sunday's episode was a scream, finally JJ gets a taste of failure. The reappearance of Col. Gentleman was a bit disappointing, they need to be able to detach from some of these characters when it's appropriate, but the rest was funny. Not the best ep, but some fine moments.

I tried to get into the Doc Hammer Venture Bros panel at Comic-Con but the line was EPIC long and then capped. :( Anybody have a writeup on it?

Kidhuman
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
That was a great ending. I was laughing hysterically. The way Doctor Wife seduced Helper, Good Cop, Bad Cop. Sgt Hatred was damn funny too. I love this show. Too bad its almost another year before the next season

JediTricks
08-28-2008, 03:31 AM
I didn't really care for this one actually, neither part felt that strong to me, and the only moment that caught me off guard was 24's face at the end.

Been going through seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, not sure why, great stuff tho'.