PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - July 11th

JediTricks
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Delayed first for Independence Day and then for technical difficulties, weapons malfunction, but we're fine, we're all fine here now, thank you... how are you? It's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for July 11th, 2008!
Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of July 11th
SSG: This fall, it seems there will be 4 different Star Wars sub-lines vying for space on the pegs: Clone Wars, Legacy Collection BD figures (that's for "Build a Droid", right?), Legacy Collection GH ("greatest hits") figures, and Saga Legends. How many SKUs will that be: 2, 3 or even 4? It looks like 3, with GH figures shipping in cases with BD figures and Saga Legends wearing the Legacy Collection badge but being a separate line, is that accurate? Is there any concern that all this may create confusion or in-line competition on the pegs, perhaps even squeezing out the coveted new Legacy Collection BD figures?
Hasbro: You are correct, there will be three basic figure assortments this Fall. 1. 87535 Legacy/Droid Factory will have two subseries, the major one which includes new/refresh figures numbered BD-1, 2, 3 etc. and the smaller "greatest hits" subseries numbered GH-1, 2, 3 etc. All Legacy/Droid Factory figures including GH come with a buildable droid part but the BD series is made to call out the new/revised figures as many collectors only want to focus on those. Collectors will get 100% of the droid parts if they get the every BD series figures in the first wave in which they are introduced. 2. 87995 Saga Legends will have figures numbered SL-1, 2, 3, etc. and the pack-in will be the weapons crate with clone gear. 3. 87638 Clone Wars basic figures will also be numbered, but there is just a number (no 2-letter prefix). #1, 2, 3, etc. There is similarly between the card designs so we do anticipate mixing on shelves, but it will not be a problem for flowing new supplies in to retail. The 30th/Saga Legends lines were very similar but consumer takeaway and flow into stores continued despite this. We expect that this Fall consumer takeaway will continue to be as we have forecast, with demand for all three assortments depending on the audience and automated replenishment flowing into stores of the proper assortments as they sell down.

SSG: The Hasbro Star Wars team has discussed in previous Q&As their favorites and personal wishlists from the movies. Any hints though as to what characters might be on the team members' various Expanded Universe wishlists?
Hasbro: Sure! Our top favorites would include, in no particular order: Jaster Mereel, Nomi Sunrider, Darth Nihl, Deliah Blue, Jarael, Ysanne Isard, Winter Windmere, Valence the Hunter, Bastila Shan, Nom Anor, Guri, and Celeste Morne. To give you a little more info, it's likely 2-3 of these will be in the 2009 lineup, and likely that at least a couple of more will make 2010.

SSG: Back on August 17th, you answered SSG's question about the TX-130 tank toy by saying "We have looked at the TX-130 and it is a cool vehicle, but right now would only go after it if it was featured in the upcoming Clone Wars animation." On October 22nd, you answered ActionFigs.com's question about the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid with "We have looked at this, but it would need animation support to make it happen." Well, now we have total confirmation that both vehicles will indeed feature in the Clone Wars CGI animation, as well as the Droid Gunship - and all 3 of these vehicles are now being made by LEGO (the Tank Droid they did for ROTS). What are the chances now of getting toys of the Tank Droid, the TX-130, and even perhaps a Droid Gunship from Hasbro? The first 2 would make excellent $20 entries, and all would satisfy fans of The Clone Wars, ROTS, and the Battlefront video game series.
Hasbro: The chances are very good of the first two happening. The latter has a much lower shot of happening.

SSG: Also, we asked Hasbro for clarification on the following answer from the previous round since the answer says none of the blasters in question appear in animation, yet the "Clone Trooper long rifle" mentioned in the question does appear...
SSG: The recent Clone Trooper and Rebel Trooper role-play blasters are pretty cool. With that in mind, will Hasbro be offering more role-play weapons such as all-new sculpts of Han's blaster, the Stormtrooper blaster (with more accurate size and folded stock under the barrel), Biker Scout pistol, and perhaps even larger ones like the Hoth Rebel rifle and Clone Trooper long rifle? (Please discuss the specific possibilities of each of the examples in this question.)
Hasbro: Sorry for the blanket answer, but since none of these blasters are present in the Clone Wars animation, we do not have plans to pursue them. Our role play efforts are really focused on trying to match what on-screen opportunities the entertainment brings (last year's Rebel Trooper blaster notwithstanding).
Hasbro: Sorry, yes you are correct. However, we do not have plans to produce a long rifle blaster. The main problem is the sheer size - it presents a problem getting in to retail and probably would have problem justifying the amount of space it would need on the retail planogram. That one is very, very unlikely.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1916):

The last time the "midnight madness" question was asked back in April, the answer was "yes, similar plans and activity to 2005 with the launch of Ep III toys, but too early to talk about". Now that we are a month away, are there any more details that can be given out about Midnight Madness 7/26 openings? And will this release date for The Legacy Collection & Clone Wars product be worldwide?
One of the scenes talked about a lot from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the "nuke the fridge" scene. Would Hasbro make a deluxe figure representing Indy and his life-saving refrigerator? Would Hasbro design the fridge pre-blast "clean" or with battle damage?
In a recent Q&A, you stated that the upcoming Legacy Collection Darth Vader will likely be your "definitive" Vader, you are having a hard time coming up with more features to add to the character. However, one area still needs addressing is that of his battle-damaged removable hand. In the movie, Luke cuts it off at the wrist, but the articulation on the TLC Vader seems to sport glove articulation which is further back than wrist and can't be popped off to simulate this damage. While perhaps a small issue, it does hold the figure back from being truly definitive. Will it see a change in the future, perhaps as a running change, or a re-release? Also, what about definitive versions for each movie, since the costume does sport quite a few changes?

Tycho
07-12-2008, 05:53 PM
My EU question got answered! Cool. :thumbsup:

It is interesting that the 5 EU figures that might come of it are heavily dominated by female characters.

In the past Hasbro hasn't supported female characters as often (the lack of Padmes) and the Expanded Universe could be said the same of. Now we have both and in combination. That being said, I wouldn't say that all 5 would be female figures. My guesses:

1. Nomi Sunrider (to go with Exar Kun and Mandalore who is already out. This also signals that Ulic (Sith Lord version?) is likely coming along with Exar's comic 2-pack appearance).

2. Bastila Shan, a KOTOR figure who might go very well with Darth Revan, Darth Malek, and whatever other KOTOR figures they might sneak out. I'm not a gamer, but I'm reading the comic with Zayne Carrick. Jarael is featured in that one, too. I don't think she's as prominent of KOTOR figure, but then The Dark Woman came out. Jarael would be hot, nevertheless.

3. Nom Anor - with NJO versions of Kyle Katarn and Luke Skywalker, plus a regular Yuuzhan Vong Warrior, plus Nom Anor's prior appearance in Crimson Empire and figures of Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax already being out, I'd bet on Nom Anor.

4. Guri won hardcore in our fan choice poll on this website, placing No. 2 over 48 more movie figures. I never even expected that. She's an easy comic pack with Luke Skywalker from SOTE with his tan vest (done correctly). This wouldn't surprise me, what with the new Leia and Xizor coming out shortly. I think SOTE will have a continuing presence with a new figure of Dash, and perhaps Chewie as Snoova, and additions of Lando, Lebo, Big Gizz, Bothan Spymaster Koth Melan, maybe Spiker, and a Black Sun thug-guard. They might try to get IG-88 and Boba Fett out again this way, too.

5. Jaster Mureel might be an easy one for Hasbro who seems to love repainting Mandalorians. I wouldn't be terribly excited. Uh...doesn't Boba Fett wear his father's rescuer's armor? So then a Jaster figure could be any Boba figure with new typing on his package. Yawn. I already use a Boba figure as Jaster now.

Darth Nihl, Deliah Blue, Celeste Morne are all from Legacy who are getting the Royal Knights (Force using Royal Guards) and Darth Talon and Cade Skywalker. The first 3 I mentioned make less sense in the absence of a Darth Krayyt figure. So I wouldn't bet on them, but I'd definitely buy them.

Ysanne Isard is an easy to-do figure from the Juno Eclipse figure and Winter would be awesome (and even makeable in one outfit from the Leia Endor Gear figure). Trouble is, they both appeared a lot in Rogue Squadron and a RS comic 2-pack with 2 ladies who are not actually members of RS would be kind of weird. For new RS comic 2-packs, I'd see Loka Hosk, a Tycho figure in his X-wing uniform (for some reason, I strongly support that, hehe) maybe civilian clothed RS pilots, or their dress-uniforms? They already did Baron Fel (with Hobbie). But yeah, RS was a very popular comic series for them, so this one has a stronger chance of continuing. I don't think Winter and Isard would be packed together on the same card, though.

JediTricks
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm really excited about the positive response on the TX-130 and Tank Droid vehicles, I hope that means we'll get 'em. Not at all surprised about the Gunship though, it'd be huge and very thin, no swooshability at that size, not very recognizable.

Surprised they are so confident about having 3 different SKUs at market again, they cut that down due to failure in the late '90s.

I was so busy this afternoon that I didn't even realize that over half were female characters. That's wild. Winter is the one that threw me fastest just because she's a relatively passive character.

Bums me out about the midnight madness question being nearly a throw-away, but at least we got confirmation for our non-US collectors.

Tycho
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm really excited about the positive response on the TX-130 and Tank Droid vehicles, I hope that means we'll get 'em. Not at all surprised about the Gunship though, it'd be huge and very thin, no swooshability at that size, not very recognizable.

I want that Tank Droid and will buy at least 2 to maybe up to 5.

The TX-130 seemed cool in pics JediMasterSal showed me, but I'm not emotional about it one way or the other.

I want the Gunship badly though. The Separatists need more airpower. I'd accept an underscaled thing - it's NOT the Sith Infiltrator, but would be a fun craft to launch at least 3 different types of missiles / bombs from.

Surprised they are so confident about having 3 different SKUs at market again, they cut that down due to failure in the late '90s.

Like 2 even worked out for them before? :rolleyes: We had this argument (about Saga Legends).

I was so busy this afternoon that I didn't even realize that over half were female characters. That's wild. Winter is the one that threw me fastest just because she's a relatively passive character.

Yeah.

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 12:49 AM
The TX-130 is pretty rad, one of the best non-movie Imperial vehicles I've ever seen, I suspect you won't be able to say no when you see the toy (or see it in the cartoon). It's got cool fun battle factor like the V-wing.

If they did the Droid Gunship as a $20, it'd be probably about as big as the Droid Tri-Fighter, but flatter. Pretty underwhelming that way, you'd be just as good off buying more of the Tri-fighters. But it does have alternate weaponry, I suppose we could lobby them for it in that scale via Q&A if there's enough interest.

I keep asking them how Saggy Legends can be doing so well, they claim it is. After a year, I have to kinda take their word at this, the Greatest Hits system didn't bankrupt the line so it must be replenishing better than we see it or they wouldn't keep doing it for a second year this strong, it wouldn't make sense to follow failure with failure. But this is DOUBLE that too, 2 greatest hits lines against 2 basic figure lines, very cross-competitive that way.

Tycho
07-13-2008, 02:03 AM
Maybe Battle Droid will post us some pics of the Droid Gunship and we can debate

1) How large we'd like it (and at what price)

2) How much down-sized we'd accept it (for the $20 price I guess)

The Droid Gunship is used for surface attack bombardment and more powerful than Droid Vulcher Fighters. The Tri-Fighter is really a space-combat vehicle and we didn't see them used in-atmosphere in the movies.

Besides, it's one more unique piece to put in a diorama for more variety. :D

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 02:56 AM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droid_gunship

The cutaway and top shot pretty much say everything. This turkey's in both Battlefront games, it's incredibly unpopular and fairly useless too. Its top height is just 3 meters, 9 feet tall, imagine a battle droid is 6 feet tall, there's only room in that little front section for 1 or 2 to sit or lay diagonally, nowhere in the dish.

Tycho
07-13-2008, 05:37 AM
It doesn't need to hold pilots though. I always figured most of those Separatist vehicles had their own droid brains and barely anything aside from like the AAT tanks and STAPs were actually piloted.

For a toy, I'd have this launch 12 missiles (6 per side), and feature a thumb-roll control that makes the nose swivel cannons rotate. Then you can manually move the nose cannon. If they want, they can also have like a toy helicopter rotor control button move the central fan or something - kind of like how Blackout works in the Transformers.

Not too much, but the Jedi Starfighters don't do much either. And for $20, what do you expect to get.

Thanks for the picture.

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
At $30-$40, you better believe it does, buster. All the vehicle-sized droids that haven't held pilots have sold worse than the vehicles - Hailfire Droid and Droid Tri-Fighter despite being somewhat cool ships just didn't bring it at retail. The vehicles are partly there to co-sell the figures, the figure interaction is what makes them interesting. Imagine buying the ARC-170 and it not holding figures, you'd be mad as hell.

Battle Droid
07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Do you think the Dwarf Spider Droid should've had a pilot also?:razz:

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Do you think the Dwarf Spider Droid should've had a pilot also?:razz:
Is it VEHICLE SIZED?!? Same question for the Vulture Droid/Droid Starfighter, smartypants. :p