PDA

View Full Version : CW Yoda Review at Yodasnews.com

Sith Lord 0498
07-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Friend of mine was able to score Wave 1, and my review of Yoda is now up at Yodasnews.com. Forgive me for any typos as it was a marathon just to get it done yesterday.

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/Yoda%20(Star%20Wars%20The%20Clone%20Wars).htm

Battle Droid
07-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Worst figure of the wave, it'll pegwarm like crazy.:tired:

sebillba
07-14-2008, 08:10 AM
This is the only figure from the animated line I will possibly buy. Just wish it didn't have the integrated action feature - might not have been so bad if both sleeves were of a similar size. I like the sculpt though, and I can never pass up on a new Yoda toy. :D

Nice review btw. :thumbsup:

jjreason
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Doesn't sound very promising... I hope the Legacy figures aren't rife with the same quality issues. :upset:

JediTricks
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Dang, I didn't realize that the arm was so hampered or the projectile so oversized. Nice review, interesting style. That figure is an easy pass for me.

smartsoccerbb
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I like the yoda in the battle pack of "Yoda and the Coruscant Guard."

Sith Lord 0498
07-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Doesn't sound very promising... I hope the Legacy figures aren't rife with the same quality issues. :upset:

Yoda's a pretty good figure if you're just planning on leaving him on the shelf.

My review for Grievous is going up tomorrow, I believe, and that figure is a serious disappointment. The arms are still flimsy and rubbery, and he's only got six joints. As a second opinion test, I had my wife hold the Young Indy figure and an Utapau Shadow Trooper and then I gave her Captain Rex. She immediately could tell how much lighter and cheaper Rex felt compared to the other two figures.

R2 is a pretty good figure though.

As for Legacy, my friend also got the removable helmet Vader yesterday. The body is a reused super-articulated body, but the helmet comes apart easily enough but it stays on snugly too.

Battle Droid
07-15-2008, 05:35 AM
How's the Battle Droid?

Sith Lord 0498
07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
How's the Battle Droid?

To be honest, I didn't even check it out. He has it, but I complete ignored it.

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow, surprised to hear how crappy those figures sound.

Sith Lord 0498
07-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Wow, surprised to hear how crappy those figures sound.

Yeah, they really are a disappointment. Like I said though, R2 is really cool.

If anyone's interested, my General Grievous review is up. Fair warning: it's pretty blunt.

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/General%20Grievous%20(Star%20Wars%20The%20Clone%20 Wars).htm

I really thought that figure was going to be the definitive Grievous, but they still gave him crap articulation, flimsy arms, and one of the lightsabers is completely bowed right out of the packaging!!

On the bright side, the money you'll save passing on some of these figures can go toward the AT-TE or the BMF!!! :)

Battle Droid
07-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I really like the look of Grievous.

Maybe the rumored General Grievous (Space Destruction) will be more articulated, hopefully.

Sith Lord 0498
07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I really like the look of Grievous.

Maybe the rumored General Grievous (Space Destruction) will be more articulated, hopefully.

Oh I agree. Grievous looks good.

But then you pick it up and realize it's not worth the money.

As for the "Space Destruction" Grievous, I'm not going to make any assumptions. Hasbro's dropped the ball on Grievous too many times for me to be optimistic. If it does end up being the version we've been waiting for, then I'll gladly buy it.

Sith Lord 0498
07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Just finished my review of Artoo. There's a chance it could be up on Yodasnews tonight, so check back late night or tomorrow.

It is a GREAT figure!!

Captain Rex and the Clonetrooper are looking better too. Noticed earlier that both have ball-hinged wrists like Gree.

JediTricks
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow, that is a major disappointment on Grievous, not entirely surprising though. Lemme ask, are the multi-arms hinged at each individual shoulder, or JUST the main shoulder? Because 2 pairs of arms pointing the same way would be really dopey.

And I didn't realize he was SUCH a pinheaded figure.

figrin bran
07-17-2008, 01:31 AM
I definitely won't try to get the Holo Grievous from TRU then.

I don't like the action feature on Yoda but being able to stick the gimer stick into the slot makes me feel much better about the figure. Still, I'd like to minimize my repeat purchases for this line and as I do like clone figures, the battlepack will be tough to pass up and so I'll try to wait for it and try to resist getting the carded Yoda.

Sith Lord 0498
07-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Wow, that is a major disappointment on Grievous, not entirely surprising though. Lemme ask, are the multi-arms hinged at each individual shoulder, or JUST the main shoulder? Because 2 pairs of arms pointing the same way would be really dopey.

And I didn't realize he was SUCH a pinheaded figure.

Just one shoulder joint per arm. The arms are facing the same direction. Adding insult to injury is that the hands have not articulation and are facing contradicting directions. Look at how awkward the sabers are in my review. You can't really do anything about it!!! :(

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. I saw the thing in the review about the no-wrists being a problem, but it wasn't vehemently stated that the shoulders didn't move independent of each other and I wanted to be sure. What a STUPID idea! What's the point of that Hasbro?!?

Sith Lord 0498
07-19-2008, 05:00 PM
In case anyone's interested and didn't happen to notice yet, my review of R2-D2 is also at Yodasnews.

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/R2-D2%20(Star%20Wars%20The%20Clone%20Wars).htm

Captain Rex will be the next figure to get reviewed. Been working on it for two days now, but I keep getting sidetracked by trips to see "The Dark Knight"

:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2008, 05:38 PM
The doors on his chest don't look so hot to me, but this figure looks pretty spiffy otherwise.

JediTricks
07-20-2008, 02:51 AM
I don't really dig the doors that much in the pics I've seen, and I hate the paint - the body and head are like 2 different concepts. I agree withcha about the dome being too dark, but also the way the body is weathered makes it seem "lesser than". I think if nothing else, they should have painted the insides of the exposed cavities a dark color instead of leaving them bald white.

I've seen another review out there which compared R2 to realistic R2s and I was surprised he was smaller, is that an issue for you? Also, another question, how does the periscope go up and down? That peri looks great.

Sith Lord 0498
07-20-2008, 04:03 AM
I don't really dig the doors that much in the pics I've seen, and I hate the paint - the body and head are like 2 different concepts. I agree withcha about the dome being too dark, but also the way the body is weathered makes it seem "lesser than". I think if nothing else, they should have painted the insides of the exposed cavities a dark color instead of leaving them bald white.

I've seen another review out there which compared R2 to realistic R2s and I was surprised he was smaller, is that an issue for you? Also, another question, how does the periscope go up and down? That peri looks great.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the body and dome being two different concepts. Could you elaborate?

As for the weathering, it's not perfect, but it's much better than other figures.

And to your question about the scale, I honestly didn't notice any scale issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I just didn't notice them at the time.

And finally, the periscope: there's a small groove in the dome in which you can slip your fingernail. Doesn't take much to pull it up from the dome.

JediTricks
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I don't quite understand what you mean by the body and dome being two different concepts. Could you elaborate?The dome has a semi-realistic finish which actually helps fit it with this CGI animated universe, but it's also got an animated yet detailed sculpt. The body, on the other hand, looks very plain like they were going for a simplistic cartoon-stylized body and then threw a realistic paint wash over that. The detail on the body is a sculpting that deemphasizes what makes it the body, the panels don't stand out well, the legs' shapes too. The body and legs seem unfinished to me.

As for the weathering, it's not perfect, but it's much better than other figures.Speaks poorly of them, then.

And to your question about the scale, I honestly didn't notice any scale issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I just didn't notice them at the time.Have you put R2 here next to, for example, R4-G9 body or VOTC?

And finally, the periscope: there's a small groove in the dome in which you can slip your fingernail. Doesn't take much to pull it up from the dome.That's super, way better than the dodgy pop-up one they have in the regular line.

Sith Lord 0498
07-21-2008, 03:11 AM
The dome has a semi-realistic finish which actually helps fit it with this CGI animated universe, but it's also got an animated yet detailed sculpt. The body, on the other hand, looks very plain like they were going for a simplistic cartoon-stylized body and then threw a realistic paint wash over that. The detail on the body is a sculpting that deemphasizes what makes it the body, the panels don't stand out well, the legs' shapes too. The body and legs seem unfinished to me.

Speaks poorly of them, then.

Have you put R2 here next to, for example, R4-G9 body or VOTC?

That's super, way better than the dodgy pop-up one they have in the regular line.

1) Ah, I get what you're saying now. I just see the figure differently then.

2) Yeah, it does speak poorly of their past endeavors. Their newer clones have pretty decent weathering, but too many times it looked symmetrical and the "damage" looked too perfect.

3) I really don't have any other astro droids to compare it against.

4) Yeah, the periscope works great here.

Sith Lord 0498
07-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Captain Rex review is now up as well:

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/Captain%20Rex%20(Star%20Wars%20The%20Clone%20Wars) .htm

After this, my last one for this first wave will be Obi-Wan Kenobi. Look for that closer to Friday.

JediTricks
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
1) Ah, I get what you're saying now. I just see the figure differently then.I picked up the figure during Comic-Con, and it still bugs me that the body is missing sculpted visual cues, it's like they took a simplified R2 design and simplified it further.

2) Yeah, it does speak poorly of their past endeavors. Their newer clones have pretty decent weathering, but too many times it looked symmetrical and the "damage" looked too perfect.I don't like the R2 weathering all that much, and the ones I've seen are all different, which is ok, but none of them "wow" me. Those clone decos look better, and they land the lines a lot better than this R2 figure does - I got preview Capt Rex yesterday and without the weathering these clones are at a huge loss.

3) I really don't have any other astro droids to compare it against.Gahk! How can you not have a regular R2-D2 or something? Well, I have mine next to the VOTC R2 (actually, the TSC Hoth repaint, which has much better weathering) and it's like R2 has a son. VOTC is 2.5" tall, CW is a quarter-inch shorter, exactly 10% shorter.

4) Yeah, the periscope works great here.Definitely, they need to do this in regular R2 now.