PDA

View Full Version : Crucible Exclusive from Crimson Empire

mtriv73
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I have no idea what this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS15678&mode=retail) is but I saw it for sale on BBTS. It looks like Vader, the emperor and a bunch of rainbow warriors from planet greenpeace. Think I'll be skipping this one.

Battle Droid
07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Power Rangers meets Star Wars?:rolleyes:

jedi master sal
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I wonder if THIS is the supposed Entertainment Earth Exclusive (albeit it it's also on BBTS then...)

I think this is going to be an easy PASS!

Now if there was a Shadow Star Wars Power Ranger....j/k

Jedi_Kal-El
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Go, Go, Imperial Rangers!!!:rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
After looking those characters up on Wookieepedia, the colors on the figures are way too bright. We already have Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax . . . this is a little ridiculous.

Bib Un-Fortuna
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
FATALITY!

Looks like Mortal Kombat meets The Force. I faintly remember the comic, but didn't like it enough to pick this up.

mtriv73
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
The thing that really ticks me off about this set is that while it is obviously aimed at collectors, it still comes with another stupid vader figure that we already have 50 of. What thought process went on at Hasbro to stick this in there. Were they worried that there might be one person out there saying "You know what, this set is nice but since it doesn't come with Darth Vader I'm going to pass." If you're trying to hook the next batch of 6 year old then sure, put it in. But the 20-30 something fanboy who is likely to buy this set would probably rather have anything else. In fact, I'd rather have nothing and lower the price by a buck or 2.

I'm tempted to round up all the superfluous vaders that have come with seemingly everything over the last few years and make my own repaints with my paint ball gun. At least then they'd be good for something.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2008, 04:45 PM
The thing that really ticks me off about this set is that while it is obviously aimed at collectors, it still comes with another stupid vader figure that we already have 50 of. What thought process went on at Hasbro to stick this in there. Were they worried that there might be one person out there saying "You know what, this set is nice but since it doesn't come with Darth Vader I'm going to pass." If you're trying to hook the next batch of 6 year old then sure, put it in. But the 20-30 something fanboy who is likely to buy this set would probably rather have anything else. In fact, I'd rather have nothing and lower the price by a buck or 2.

I'm tempted to round up all the superfluous vaders that have come with seemingly everything over the last few years and make my own repaints with my paint ball gun. At least then they'd be good for something.
I think, if this set didn't have Vader or Palpatine, people would think it really was from Power Rangers. :p

bigbarada
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Why does the Emperor have a cone head?:confused:

This set is beyond lame. You know it's bad when the best figure in the multipack is the obligatory Darth Vader figure.:upset:

pegger
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Pass. 'nuff said.

Darth Jax
07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Why include the Emperor at all? He barely appears (in a flashback) in the comic anyways. Vader is unnecessary as well, anyone that's gonna open this set has many extras to duel with the trainees in their power ranger footee pj's.

DarkJedi5
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Didn't read CE and only bought the comic pack when it went on sale. Easy pass. I just hope this isn't the EE one. By the way, isn't Big Bad Toy Shop the one with the super stupid Rebel TIE? If so, whoever picks out their exclusives needs to be fired, like, yesterday.

Banthaholic
07-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow, looke like I'm the only one excited for this set. Then again, I always loved the Ninja themed Joes as a kid so this is right up my alley. Will have to reread CE this week in excitement.

Update...
Ok I reread CE tonight and this pack is based on the flashback from Issue 2 of the 1st CE. And while I don't need another Vader or Emperor they do fit the scene well that this pack is based upon. After rereading the issue I'm really psyched for this set.

Phantom-like Menace
07-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Wow, looke like I'm the only one excited for this set.

I'm not excited per se, but I don't see any reason to ***** and whine about it either. I wouldn't throw it away if I got it. Hell, they look like they'd make great custom fodder for Sith minions if nothing else.

Lord Malakite
07-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Power Rangers meets Star Wars?:rolleyes:

Now if there was a Shadow Star Wars Power Ranger....j/k

Go, Go, Imperial Rangers!!!:rolleyes:

FATALITY!

Looks like Mortal Kombat meets The Force. I faintly remember the comic, but didn't like it enough to pick this up.

I'll agree with the last statement. They look more like Mortal Kombat characters than they do Power Rangers. I'd say Rain, Ermac, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero to be precise.

Since a good deal of you are fond of the idea of Star Wars/Power Rangers team-ups and hybrids though, I'll be more than happy to grant your wish. :D

Jargo
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
poop crock. that is all.

El Chuxter
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
The debate about whether these are Star Wars Meets Power Rangers or Star Wars Vs Mortal Kombat is a pointless one. They're garbage, plain and simple. And I don't mean Shirley Manson.

Sinscia Fat'o
07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm happy for this set and i can't wait to get it's one of the few exclusive deals i've seen so far i'm going to get. Though i'm a huge CE fan.

DarkArtist
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
i am excited about this set. i"ll be placing my order this week. CE was one of my favorite EU stories.

i agree that the addtion of Vader and the emperor is not needed, would rather have seen Mirith Sinn and Sedeet, but I can always sell them or give them away.

AmanaMatt
07-27-2008, 11:20 PM
This set makes me want to cry, its that bad. That is AWFUL!

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
It looks worse in person. Believe it or not, it does.

Tycho
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm undecided as to whether I'd buy this. I loved Crimson Empire, but the training scenes on Yinchorr were interesting, but not needing to be forever immortalized.

Basically, to be a Royal Guard you must pair up in your training with whomever is best suitable for your partner through the entire process. They train to be the best and try to make sure that you turn out to be the best.

Then Palpatine and Vader can show up and in order to assure absolute loyalty, they demand you fight your partner to the death, thereby killing your best friend who by this point, may have saved your life many times. But your loyalty must be to Palpatine, in the extreme. Kir did not fight Carnor Jax at this point. They became Royal Guards together, each by killing their training partners. Because Kir hesitated before his kill, Vader slashed his face with his lightsaber, resulting in Kir's trademark scar. That's why Darth Vader is in the Yinchorr Crucible Training Set.

The training method is derived from how the Sith Academy on Korriban was ran - when Darth Bane was the last Sith to attend it (he wound up killing everybody else).

Now just because the Sith only allow 2 (plus whomever they're cultivating to help them kill their master/apprentice with), they still use their harsh training methods to make sure those they rule over remain loyal - in the extreme.

obi-dad
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not impressed, but glad to hear there are fans who are picking this up. It's best for collectors that exclussives be at least somewhat successful.

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
If anyone cares, these are showing up at Rite-Aid in large numbers. They weren't marked at the one I was at tonight, but they had the Cobra Hostile Environment Desert set, which retailed for about the same price last year, for $19.99. (Another local Rite-Aid had the Arctic Cobra set, but I didn't see any Crucible sets there.) They're in the seasonal aisle with a lot of boxed toys, not in the regular toy aisle. They still had the "Diamond Exclusive" sticker, too.

Even at $19.99, I wasn't in the slightest tempted. This set is poop. If I were to get it, I'd probably give my daughter the Vader and Palpatine, and cut the heads off the Guards-in-Training to make some sort of weird, made-up Cobra head. (I got one each of the Cobra sets; you can never have too many ruthless terrorist army builders. Also, taking the Palpy, Vader, Major Bludd, and Scrap-Iron figures out of the equation, the Crucible sets are $5 per figure, and the Cobra sets are $3.33 each, and look like better-made figures.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2009, 01:23 AM
I just got it a few weeks ago, from Entertainment Earth, for slightly higher. Palpatine's coloring is the best version of this mold, but that's not saying much when the other options were light pink and dark gray. The warrior guys' eyes are all painted brown, which just looks weird as all hell. The whole set is just amazingly unnecessary and uninteresting.

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 07:31 AM
It still boggles my mind that they put out what's essentially a slightly larger BattlePack, overcharge for the figures, make it an exclusive through channels that kids probably won't be dealing with, and still feel the need to throw in Vader and Palpy. Do they think there are adult collectors who don't have 37 each of them by now?

DarkArtist
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I love the set and wish Hasbro would continue with sets like this but without the many repacks of Vader and Palpatine or other core characters.