PDA

View Full Version : and in this corner...

sith_killer_99
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
The Challenger....

The 2009 Dodge Challenger that is!

I soooo want one of these, so I decided to go to the website and build my dream Dodge Challenger...$45,000!:(

Oh well, dare to dream.

Is any one else stoked about this awesome new (old) car?

Oh, and I'm sure (with a $1,700 gas guzzler tax) that this thing get horrible gas milage.:D

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I saw one of these driving down the street in Hollywood a few months ago, unfortunately I was driving the opposite direction or I would have followed it. The concept car at the car shows looks nice but the rear end was a little weak, perhaps because of setting, but the one on the street looked a little better, very cool. The price is outrageous though, this thing is a modification of the friggin' Charger which is half that price.

Darth Jax
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
the re-introduction of most of the classic muscle cars has been great, with the notable exception of the GTO.

bigbarada
07-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I saw this for the first time this week. We were replacing the roof on the local Dodge dealership and they had one out on the lot and one inside the showroom. I just stared at it for the longest time, it's absolutely beautiful! I almost regretted the fact that I just got a new used-car a few weeks ago and there would be no way I could afford one of these.

UKWildcat
07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
the re-introduction of most of the classic muscle cars has been great, with the notable exception of the GTO.

Amen to that. Only thing that car had going for it was the LS2 Corvette engine in the '05+ models.

I like the new look of the Challenger, no doubt. But for the price, as JT mentioned, and the performance you get out of it, it is not worth it - at all! The car has a good engine (the 6.1 liter in the SRT-8) with some strong power (425 hp), but the damn thing weighs waaaay too much, at 4100+ lbs. This really hurts it performance.

You can spend the same money and get a new base level C6 Corvette that will run circles around it. Same goes for a Mustang GT500.

Or you could hold out and wait for the new Camaro that is going to hit next year, or the Z28 that is to hit the following year.

But if it were me, I'd sink the extra coin into my current vehicle. ;)

sith_killer_99
07-17-2008, 12:29 AM

Current re-introductions.

The second generation Dodge Challenger (1978-1983) was a horrible horrible joke that should be blotted out of all memory, much like the SW Holiday Special...only worse.:(

Blue2th
07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
They look nice of what I've seen in pictures. I can't wait to see one up close. The new Camaro for that matter too.
Something to give the Mustang a run for it's money. Too many of those around, though I've seen some nice ones, and the Cobra is really nice, because it's slightly meaner front end.

Seeing the original 69-70 Challengers, Camaros, and Mustang (fastbacks) is almost better than sex. It's like glimpsing a rare animal or something. I can imagine driving one would be well...

Darth Jax
07-17-2008, 08:34 AM

The second generation Dodge Challenger (1978-1983) was a horrible horrible joke that should be blotted out of all memory, much like the SW Holiday Special...only worse.:(

We don't speak of that here, nor the awful Mustang 2 from a similar time period.

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 10:38 PM

The second generation Dodge Challenger (1978-1983) was a horrible horrible joke that should be blotted out of all memory, much like the SW Holiday Special...only worse.:(See? Dodge always trying to one-up Ford. Ford releases the Mustang II and Dodge had to rebadge some POS late '70s Mitsubishi. ;)

They look nice of what I've seen in pictures. I can't wait to see one up close. The new Camaro for that matter too.
Something to give the Mustang a run for it's money. Too many of those around, though I've seen some nice ones, and the Cobra is really nice, because it's slightly meaner front end.AGREED! I don't really like Mustangs in general, but that one I thought looked ok at first. Now it's EVERYWHERE and most are so plain, no excitement left in that car except for the upgrades.

Seeing the original 69-70 Challengers, Camaros, and Mustang (fastbacks) is almost better than sex. It's like glimpsing a rare animal or something. I can imagine driving one would be well...I guess I'm spoiled living here in LA, I see those cars in my neighborhood all the time. I'd say every day I see at least 1 of those, and there's a guy who does all Mopar restorations down the street from my mom & stepdad's place so I see a lot of Challengers and other Chrysler beauties in mint condition. On the street I see 2 or 3 late '60s Camaros a day.

TeeEye7
07-19-2008, 01:13 AM
We have several Chargers in non-police capacities around my department. However, Dodge did lend us a police package to try out.

It proved too small for all the computer equipment on board, the officer, and any "guests" that might ride in the back, but it sure looked sweet! Check it out:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36378&highlight=dodge+charger

Not a Challenger, but the "other" cool Dodge, IMO.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
We have several Chargers in non-police capacities around my department. However, Dodge did lend us a police package to try out.

It proved too small for all the computer equipment on board, the officer, and any "guests" that might ride in the back, but it sure looked sweet!

Our local Police Department back home (Commerce City, CO) just bought a bunch of the new Charger police package cars. They look pretty mean and have some great features that extend and improve the overall life expectancy of the cars...from what I hear anyway.

Personally, I don't really care for the new Chargers. I loved the new Mustangs when they came out in 1994, and there have been a few here and there that I do like, the new Cobra's are nice, but overall I have not been impressed.

The new Challenger is big! In fact it measures a full 6 inches longer than the original!

But that design is SWEET.

The new Camaro is also nice.

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 07:14 PM
The Charger is pretty mean. It's got rear wheel drive which I hear most police officers prefer since GM quit making the rear wheel drive Impala (the new ones are a joke) hence why they like the Crown Victoria so much.
I can imagine just like any true hot rod enthusiast, rwd is preferred.

It was an eye opener seeing "Cops" in Moscow chasing down the criminals in their little Trebants and commie cars with Crown Vics that were sold to the Russian PD, those poor b*stards didn't have a prayer. They don't have any Rodney King rules there.

The Charger's look you can tell is derivative of the mid 70's one. What gets me though is that "real" hot rods have two doors not four. They don't make a 2-door Charger unfortunately.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I would like to see what they could do with a 2 door Charger!

JediTricks
07-21-2008, 12:45 AM
The new Challenger is a result of the complaints about the Charger being a 4-door. They kept tweaking the lines more and more until the Challenger was born.

sith_killer_99
02-05-2009, 10:22 PM
The new Challenger has hit a "base model" price of just $22,000!!!

Whoohooo....

I have built my desired version and found it will be less than $30,000. Right now they are even offering cash back, employee discounting AND a low APR.

I guess Chrysler is getting desperate to move cars....possibly VERY good news for me! We will see.:D

I will be test driving one this weekend.:yes:

Snowtrooper
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
The new Challenger is a result of the complaints about the Charger being a 4-door. They kept tweaking the lines more and more until the Challenger was born.

That and the fact the new Charger doesn't look enough like the ones from the 60's and the 70's. I still like it though.

sith_killer_99
02-05-2009, 11:23 PM
That and the fact the new Charger doesn't look enough like the ones from the 60's and the 70's. I still like it though.

It has all the classic lines, just a more modern version. For a modern version I think it's every bit as good as the old/new Mustangs, except this thing is sooo much sweeter.

UKWildcat
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
It has all the classic lines, just a more modern version. For a modern version I think it's every bit as good as the old/new Mustangs, except this thing is sooo much sweeter.

I think you mean heavier. ;)

Let us know how that test drive goes! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Will it do point five past light speed?

mtriv73
02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Will it do point five past light speed?

What does point five past lightspeed even mean?

TeeEye7
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I defer to Mr. Solo to answer that question.

I thinks it's a notch past blinding speed.

Darth Jax
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
it's one stage below ludicrous speed

pbarnard
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
What does point five past lightspeed even mean?

Saying that I know, probably makes me a bigger geek than even I care to admit. :lipsrsealed:

Blue2th
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
My friend in my band just bought an SRT-8 in orange with black stripes.
He said he wanted the white one because of the "Vanishing point" factor, but it wasn't available in the SRT-8.
The guy just plopped down close to 50 grand he said (I didn't ask if he financed it :eek:)

He said something about losing a third or more of his 401k money and decided "screw it"

I saw a black one the other day, wow! I'm partial to black it got that "Vader" factor. lol

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
The new Challenger has hit a "base model" price of just $22,000!!!I tried it on at the LA Auto Show a few months ago, it's not too shabby, but the base model loses its charm quickly without many of the finishing touches of the deluxe models. They're starting to crop up everywhere here in LA, and being behind them shows the weakest angle, they look really narrow and high from the back.

Whoohooo....

I have built my desired version and found it will be less than $30,000. Right now they are even offering cash back, employee discounting AND a low APR.

I guess Chrysler is getting desperate to move cars....possibly VERY good news for me! We will see.:D

I will be test driving one this weekend.:yes:I was kinda digging this line up until a recent car crash on the 10 freeway. A guy was driving at speed the wrong way on the freeway early in the morning and hit a car head-on. The wrong-way guy was driving a Toyota, while the victim was driving a 2009 Charger. The Toyota looked really savaged, but recognizable; the Charger looked unrecognizable as a CAR, it was a twisted mess, and upon impact it also caught fire where the Toyota didn't. As much as I like the Charger and Challenger lines, seeing how poorly it performed in that accident swore me off Chrysler for a while till they can get that aspect up to snuff.

It has all the classic lines, just a more modern version. For a modern version I think it's every bit as good as the old/new Mustangs, except this thing is sooo much sweeter.What about compared to the new Camaro?

I think you mean heavier. ;)Yeah, that's a good point, it's too bad that the curb weight on the new Challenger is so damned high.

it's one stage below ludicrous speedSo just barely avoiding going to plaid?