PDA

View Full Version : New Large Vehicles or Re-Size Existing Ones?

Tycho
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
The Falcon prompted this discussion.

New Vehicles (Large) that haven't been made before:

Blockade Runner
Star Destroyer
Jabba's Sailbarge (very possible)
TurboTank
Republic Cruiser
Invisible Hand
Imperial Landing Craft

Old Vehicles that could be redone:

AT-AT - could sell
Imperial Shuttle
Queen's Royal Starship
Sith Infiltrator
Jawa Sandcrawler
Republic Gunship - might also sell
Y-wing
B-wing
TIE Interceptor
TIE Bomber
AT-ST - could sell
Desert Skiff - great candidate actually

What would you want done / made? What's your priority?

obi-dad
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Order for me would be tough... it was hard spending $99 on the old AT-AT's and if the price went up, it would be tough again, since I have 3 or 4... I'd probaly want to do 3 or 4 again. Here is a rough estimate of the order for me:

1). Jabba's Sail Barge
2). AT-ST - to fit 2 AT-ST pilots and a Chewie & 2 ewoks crew.
3). AT-AT - lower than the AT-ST in priority mainly due to the price tag it would have.
4). Desert Skiff - only this high if they made the Sail Barge (doesn't need to be true scale, but to fit all the skiff guards and various prisoners).
5). Jawa Sandcrawler - again, maybe not to scale, but at least closer than the current one.
6). Y-wing - I wonder how off scale this is? Don't necessarily need this, but I love the Y-wing

I would love professional dioramas/playsets of certain Star Destroyer & Tantive IV enviromental sets, but I believe the actual ships would NEVER be made in a close enough scale to make it worth it (of course, I never thought something like the BMF would come out either). But even if they were made, I definitely couldn't afford the space or cash to buy them. The rest, I have almost no interest in.

Battle Droid
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
The MTT is a must!

I'd also like the Neimoidian Shuttle (Both Grievous' and Gunray's versions)

Snowtrooper
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
This is what I would like to see done and from highest priority to lowest:

1. Jabba's Sailbarge-Most of us collectors want this, and since its featured prominently in ROTJ it should sell well to kids.
2. AT-AT-This is another one that would sell, especially if its significantly bigger.
3. Turbo Tank
4. Sandcrawler-I didn't mind the OTC version, but this one is really due for resizing. I don't know if Hasbro would do this, since they don't really consider it an iconic vehicle and they had a tough time finding a vendor for the OTC version.
5. Imperial Landing Craft.

I agree with Obi-Dad that diorama/playset is the way to go with some of these(blockade runner, star destroyer, death star, etc). These are just too large to make vehicles out of and do the "environment" justice. The blockade runner would just need the hallways or the star destroyer the bridge.

jedi master sal
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Okay here's my take on this:

Blockade Runner: better done as a playset. I would have liked to have seen an Ultra titanium of this instead. Though I did get the action fleet collectors edition from way back, so that suits my need for this just fine. But I would definitely buy a playset of it.
Star Destroyer: same answer as the Blockade runner. This could easily be split up into a few sets. That would help the collector's wallet instead of having to pay hundreds for a big set. Though that's a risk Hasbro doesn't seem yet willing to make-unless you believe the eluded to rumor by Adam May from GH during his visit to LFL-when talking to "Derek the toy guru."
Jabba's Sailbarge (very possible): Absofreakin'loutely! This is one of those that I've said time and again could double as not just a ship and playset, but a toy chest of sorts. put some inconspicuous wheels under it and it's golden. This along with the Turbo tank are my next most wanted vehicles.
TurboTank: Did you just read my Sailbarge entry? copy/paste here...heh heh.
Republic Cruiser: If we're talking the Venator class ship seen in ROTS, no, no need. An ultra Titanium would suffice my needs. I love the design, but other than Obi talking with the clones of the Emperor/Vader scene seen at the end, it doesn't hold much merit to warrant a playset.
Invisible Hand: While I like the design of this ship and there are some good scenes on it, I would rather have it as a playset. Make it the bridge, Room where Palatine is being held and the saber fight occurs, one hallway and maybe the hangar and I'd buy it. This could be done as one set. Doesn't have to be huge either. Would like an ultra titanium of this one though!
Imperial Landing Craft: meh, never really liked the design of this. Reminds me too much of a duck and the wings seem to be disjointed and in the wrong place to me. PASS

AT-AT: Hell's yeah, this needs a serious upgrade like the Falcon got. It needs to be MUCH bigger!
Imperial Shuttle: No, the one we have is good enough.
Queen's Royal Starship: Heck no. The one we have is Awesome!
Sith Infiltrator: Oh yes, this should have been much bigger to begin with. I never bought it and then later it was given to me as a gift. I personally wouldn't have wasted the money on this. To this day it still sits in the box.
Jawa Sandcrawler: Like the Sailbarge and Turbo tank, this would be a perfect opportunity to make it a rolling toychest/playset/vehicle. I tyhink it's a no brainer. Most of the innards can be hollow to allow for storing toys. Some electronics would be nice, but aren't neccessary. I'd say have the front panel flip down with a small area to interact with figures, and the cockpit on on top to place some Jawas inside.
Republic Gunship - no, I think the one we have is excellent. Hasbro just needs to reissue the MOVIE ACCURATE one again. I still want 3-4 more of that one!! Now they could do the AT-TE dropship which utilizes much of the same parts as the Gunship...
Y-wing-no way, the one we have fills the bill nicely.
B-wing-no here as well, I like the one we have-just sell it cheaper and I'd pick up 2-3 more. I'm not paying $40 for it-well except for this new one...damn I'm flip flopping...heh heh
TIE Interceptor-Nope, the one we have is good enough
TIE Bomber-same as Interceptor
AT-ST: This needs a redesign. Should be a bit bigger and should most definitely fit two drivers as well as accommodate two Ewoks and Chewie.
Desert Skiff: No, I rather like this design. Yes, it's a little small, but think of it this way, if Hasbro made the Sailbarge to scale with the current skiff we'd be more likely to get it, rather than scaling the skiff correctly, then either having an undersized (in relation) Sailbarge, or a too big to produce sailbarge.

I still desperately want the TX-130 Saber Tank done. Rumor has it that it's in the show or movie. LEGO is already making one so can Hasbro be too far behind? It's has at least 1 or 2 repaint possibilities, so it seems an obvious choice for Hasbro. Guess it's going to depend on it's role in the cartoon...

I'll have to think about other ships/vehicles.

One thing to note, the large sized TIE fighter should never be priced higher than $25 ever again. Package this pup disassembled to make a smaller box.

I'll post more later as I have time to.

-Sal

obi-dad
07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
One thing to note, the large sized TIE fighter should never be priced higher than $25 ever again. Package this pup disassemble to make a smaller box. -Sal

Amen, brother! :thumbsup:

pegger
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
What Sal said.

Sal rocks.

mabudonicus
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
one ship that should be re-done smaller is the A-wing, the current one is WAY too big, it should be more like a JSF size as it is a TINY ship in the films
:beard: Iso&baws

they're like waist-high in the film practically

pegger
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Well - you're waist high. So there!

jedi master sal
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
What Sal said.

Sal rocks.

Thanks.

I know you're just buttering me up though for the AT-TE, heh heh. J/K

obi-dad
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
one ship that should be re-done smaller is the A-wing, the current one is WAY too big, it should be more like a JSF size as it is a TINY ship in the films
:beard: Iso&baws

Another is the snowspeeder, but Hasbro said if they do a new mold they would look into it next time.

JediTricks
07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Hasbro just said the Sailbarge is very unlikely. That is the only new vehicle out of those choices which I'd want, and coincidentally the only one I believe would be marketable between issues of price and interest.

You didn't mention Slave 1 as a redo. I'd like to see that.

I think the AT-AT could be redone, but I'm not sure I'd buy it. I'm really satisfied with the LEGO one, it fills the need. If they really knocked it out of the park, maybe, but it'd have to be just the right size and not too expensive.

The AT-ST I think they'd have a little struggle selling but could do it if they made it big and fun enough. I doubt it could go over $30 though.

The Imp Shuttle just needs a better interior and the gearing redesigned to line up properly, doesn't need a full redo.

I highly doubt anybody wants the Royal Starship again.

I don't think there's marketability in the Sith Infiltrator, it doesn't do anything in the movie and barely interacts with its lone character.

Sandcrawler I don't think is marketable anymore, its scenes don't resonate for the vehicle as strongly as they once did I think, mainly because there are so many more exciting and character-interacting vehicles to choose from. The one we have sucketh mightily, but for $50 or more, I really don't see the interest being there.

Why would the Republic Gunship need a redo? I think it's fine the way it is, except for the turret issue which is thorny, and maybe redesign the doors to match the Clone Wars spaceworthy design.

Y-wing I think is not exciting enough to warrant a bigger design, it's slow and looks old, the one we have isn't perfect but pretty much nails that, I doubt there's enough folks out there willing to plunk down more $$$ for a bigger, less swooshable one.

B-wing barely does anything in the film, and the ship we have is pretty big and nifty already. Plus, any bigger and costs would eat it alive, and it'd lose all swooshability.

TIE Interceptor I don't think could be much bigger, but of all the TIEs, this seems like the one to try a better cockpit and bigger wings. Still, if it went up in price I think it'd hurt sales.

TIE Bomber is pretty much perfect as-is, just needs a cover for the bomb chute really.

I think they could get away with a Skiff at $30 pricepoint, but it'd have to come with an exclusive figure as the vehicle itself isn't as much action-seller on its own, looks a little passive. Maybe include a railing blaster cannon like the one attached to the Sail Barge in the movie (I know it's not accurate, but it'd help sales).

The MTT is a sleepy design. LEGO pretty much nailed it on both attempts, but I don't think it'd do well with the Hasbro line, it's very passive despite those big guns, it doesn't do anything in the film really exciting.

Same with the Neimoidian Shuttle, just not gonna attract buyers.

I still desperately want the TX-130 Saber Tank done. Rumor has it that it's in the show or movie. LEGO is already making one so can Hasbro be too far behind? It's has at least 1 or 2 repaint possibilities, so it seems an obvious choice for Hasbro. Guess it's going to depend on it's role in the cartoon...We just asked them about it in the Q&A, they said it was a good possibility they'd do it.

One thing to note, the large sized TIE fighter should never be priced higher than $25 ever again. Package this pup disassembled to make a smaller box.How? There's no way really. The wings don't have enough structural integrity when cut in half and then reassembled, and they'd still take up tons of space making the box real big. And if you don't disassemble them, the box could not be anything but slightly narrower, which is meaningless and destroys the packaged display look while achieving next to nothing.

obi-dad
07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
How? There's no way really. The wings don't have enough structural integrity when cut in half and then reassembled, and they'd still take up tons of space making the box real big. And if you don't disassemble them, the box could not be anything but slightly narrower, which is meaningless and destroys the packaged display look while achieving next to nothing.

JT & I had this discussion last year or earlier this year. It really comes down to what's more important to Hasbro & the stores: shelf space or display look. JT is exagerating when he says only slightly narrower... I just set it up in my design and took a picture next to the box... it turns out to be just at 1/2 the size of the original box. And... I think it's really personal taste, but with the mid section sideways instead of longways... it still looks good. It would definitely look better if it had some clear plastic holding both wings parallel and the center piece level. It's not like it's currently boxed fully assembled, nor the were the previous X-Wings. So, they can still make it look good and stock 2 in the same space 1 was previously. Check out the pic...

obi-dad
07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Hasbro just said the Sailbarge is very unlikely. That is the only new vehicle out of those choices which I'd want, and coincidentally the only one I believe would be marketable between issues of price and interest.

Back to the Sailbarge, did you notice the question was asked very blandly? This should probably go in the Q&A secion... I haven't been over there since I read the Q&A from the other site concerning this piece, but like we discussed, there are a few important variables that need to be brought up when asking that question, such as depending on the success of the BMF & AT-TE, the role of the Sailbarge in the Clone Wars movie & tv show, etc.... so I'd still like to see SSG follow up with the question they way you worded it.

Tycho
07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
The Clone Wars will involve the Republic negotiating with the Hutts to travel through their space to track the Separatists.

In order to do so, Anakin will have to serve Jabba the Hutt, making a Skywalker appear on the Hutt's radar. The mission is to find Jabba's son or something.

I think I've already seen a sailbarge in some animation. That being the case, the ship could be recognizeable from Clone Wars, and thus marketable for another large toy like the criteria the AT-TE met.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. My guess is that if the Falcon and AT-TE sell well, then the Sailbarge would be a no-brainer for the largest vehicle assortment.

GizorDellso
07-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I just ordered a POTF Skiff so if they release a new one id be bummed......but id still buy it!

I second the addition of more Separatist vehicles.I CIS army build and id love a MMT

jedi master sal
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
JT & I had this discussion last year or earlier this year. It really comes down to what's more important to Hasbro & the stores: shelf space or display look. JT is exagerating when he says only slightly narrower... I just set it up in my design and took a picture next to the box... it turns out to be just at 1/2 the size of the original box. And... I think it's really personal taste, but with the mid section sideways instead of longways... it still looks good. It would definitely look better if it had some clear plastic holding both wings parallel and the center piece level. It's not like it's currently boxed fully assembled, nor the were the previous X-Wings. So, they can still make it look good and stock 2 in the same space 1 was previously. Check out the pic...

Thanks for posting that obi-dad. That's exactly what I had in mind with this. Just have a small window on the box for the ball cockpit itself, if Hasbro feels the need to have a window on it.

So for one, not only does it double the amount of TIEs that can be put on the shelf, but lowers the amount of packaging needed. That also translates into less printing cost as there is a smaller surface area to cover. Minimal per package yes, but considering how many of these Hasbro cranks out it would still add up well into the thousands. And on a GREEN note, it would be a slightly smaller carbon footprint because of the less packaging material being used.

Definitely Hasbro goes for visuals with some of the packaging. They almost have to package the TIE the way they do, to try and justify it being sold for $40, when it's really a $20-25 toy. I understand that's business, but it's almost shamefull, imo. I'd have bought several more large winged TIEs at the $25 price. As it stands now I have two blue and only one gray, opting not to get the white one at all.

DarthBrandon
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Well here's my take on this:

I'd like to see a Rebel Blockade Runner around the same size or slightly bigger than the new Falcon (I could live with Either)
I would also like to see an Imperial Landing Craft or Palpy's shuttle from ROTS

Re-sized could be the AT-AT & the wimpy Sith Infiltrator.
I can live with the rest of the stuff.

Tycho
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd like to see a Rebel Blockade Runner around the same size or slightly bigger than the new Falcon (I could live with Either)

Thank you! My custom is 5 feet long and works for me. In 1999 I took it to Comic Con and showed it to Hasbro.

You can recreate all the movie scenes inside it (except Grievous' fighter from ROTS won't fit - I didn't see that coming).

mtriv73
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I'll dissent and say I'd love to see a more correctly scaled Y-wing. If the cinema scale (or whatever the $700 that came out a few years ago is called) was 1:18th scale I would have bought it despite the price tag.

A redone AT-AT would also be high on the list of things I'd purchase.

I'd like to see a bigger, more movie accurate at-st as well but I think I have 3 or 4 of the old mold after all the repacks from TRU and Target.

The rest I can live with or without (mostly without.)

Jargo
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
NEW
Imperial landing craft [troop hold, storage lockers, weapons racks, access/egress ramp/hatch, landing gear retractable, light up engines, opening cockpit to fit four figures]

Sail barge Khetanna [designed to mimic the movie set. lift off side panels, sturdy clear wheels for floating action, opening shutter hatches, opening deck hatches, cloth sails, interior weapons storage and figure storage. kids need figure storage and that's all the sail barge should be. a sculpted storage chest with good exterior detailing.]

Dash Rendar's Outrider [lose the central spinning section completely, give it lift off hull panels a hold and a decent cockpit, light up engines and engine sound, better weapons and pack it with Leebo and a new Dash. tighter detailing on the open bow sections too.]

Bossk's Hounds tooth plenty of scope for interior detailing and bounty prisoner containment cells. cockpit and firing weapons. opening docking bay and small scout ship, Nashtah Pup.]

Dengar's Punishing one

[B]RESIZE
Sandcrawler

[I]Desert skiff [tighter design and build with less big screw lugs. lose the dumb landing gear and give it a clear stand. better access ramp, lose the flipping floor panel, do better on the hand rails. have the steering levers move independently of the steering vanes. superior paint apps and make one of the bow panels detachable with a second swappable panel. one damaged one not. allow people who buy two to make a distinction between skiffs.]

Slave-1 [two level cockpit, rear boarding ramp, opening rear access hatchway. lift off side to access prisoner containment cages and weapons storage. light up cockpit, prison hold and engines. engine sounds, seismic explosion sound and weapons firing sounds.]

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Back to the Sailbarge, did you notice the question was asked very blandly? This should probably go in the Q&A secion... I haven't been over there since I read the Q&A from the other site concerning this piece, but like we discussed, there are a few important variables that need to be brought up when asking that question, such as depending on the success of the BMF & AT-TE, the role of the Sailbarge in the Clone Wars movie & tv show, etc.... so I'd still like to see SSG follow up with the question they way you worded it.Absolutely, and that's why I left the question in Q&A as we had it written.

The Clone Wars will involve the Republic negotiating with the Hutts to travel through their space to track the Separatists.

In order to do so, Anakin will have to serve Jabba the Hutt, making a Skywalker appear on the Hutt's radar. The mission is to find Jabba's son or something.

I think I've already seen a sailbarge in some animation. That being the case, the ship could be recognizeable from Clone Wars, and thus marketable for another large toy like the criteria the AT-TE met.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. My guess is that if the Falcon and AT-TE sell well, then the Sailbarge would be a no-brainer for the largest vehicle assortment.Vote for the question.

I just ordered a POTF Skiff so if they release a new one id be bummed......but id still buy it!They just said it was being re-released, but not a new sculpt:
JediInsider.com: Since a new sculpted Skiff is not going to happen, will the old one be reissued again? This question comes from JI reader Blackmada.
Hasbro: Yes it will. Look for more details at Comic Con.

JT & I had this discussion last year or earlier this year. It really comes down to what's more important to Hasbro & the stores: shelf space or display look. JT is exagerating when he says only slightly narrower... I just set it up in my design and took a picture next to the box... it turns out to be just at 1/2 the size of the original box. And... I think it's really personal taste, but with the mid section sideways instead of longways... it still looks good. It would definitely look better if it had some clear plastic holding both wings parallel and the center piece level. It's not like it's currently boxed fully assembled, nor the were the previous X-Wings. So, they can still make it look good and stock 2 in the same space 1 was previously. Check out the pic...It's not "half", it looks sorta like it there but it's over half the size, you can see it's more like you're saving maybe 40% width when you take the box into account (edit: actually, from what I just measured, much less, read below...), which translates to a difference of very little on the shelf - it's the same height and the same footprint if you put it on its side, it's still well oversized. It'd display terribly and there'd be nowhere to put it any different than there is now, there's just no real estate for something like this.

Thanks for posting that obi-dad. That's exactly what I had in mind with this. Just have a small window on the box for the ball cockpit itself, if Hasbro feels the need to have a window on it.

So for one, not only does it double the amount of TIEs that can be put on the shelf, but lowers the amount of packaging needed. That also translates into less printing cost as there is a smaller surface area to cover. Minimal per package yes, but considering how many of these Hasbro cranks out it would still add up well into the thousands. And on a GREEN note, it would be a slightly smaller carbon footprint because of the less packaging material being used.

Definitely Hasbro goes for visuals with some of the packaging. They almost have to package the TIE the way they do, to try and justify it being sold for $40, when it's really a $20-25 toy. I understand that's business, but it's almost shamefull, imo. I'd have bought several more large winged TIEs at the $25 price. As it stands now I have two blue and only one gray, opting not to get the white one at all.Ok, you made me go and measure this. Obi-Dad's photo is misleading, it's not really half the width, it just looks that way. The box is 9" wide, each wing is around 3.25" wide, and each box side has around 0.5" of cardboard packaging. The current box is already truncated by putting the wings closer together and offsetting the cockpit pod in front of that. But if you took the cockpit TOTALLY out of the equation, you would have a toy that is 6.5" wide and another inch of packaging, how is 7.5" half the width of 9"? Even if you shaved off a quarter inch for the wing hub cut-outs, you still have a 7" wide box, and let's say you took packaging out entirely and just shrink-wrapped it, that's still 6.5" which is NOT half, but 27.7% - not even a third.

Why does the image look closer, you ask? Probably because the loose TIE is closer to the camera and shot at a downward angle, the wings are slightly tilted down, the face showing the full width of the box is angled away from us, and it appears they're offset from each other (which would make the box longer, and a less-stable diagonal parallelogram).

This is a pipe dream, and even if you were able to get it down to half by some miracle, you still have a box that's 15.5" x 13" - that's a BIG box in the toy department, there's no way it's going to be $25 or less, store real estate is a significant part of pricing. Between the last movie and the new AT-TE and Falcon, have you seen any SW Hasbro toy that size at mass retail for any price? No. You've seen overpriced store exclusives, sure, but at mass-retail? Nothin'. And compare the size of the $20 vehicle to the TIE Fighter, hardly the same size - and the bigger the mold, the more expensive it is to build and run. At best you could get this to a $30 vehicle size like the ARC-170, and that box is 20 x 12 x 5.5", this truncated TIE box in reality would 15.5 x 13 x 7", and then you're left with an awkward $30 box that doesn't display the toy inside, is extra expensive to assemble because of its unusual shape, and is in a size that the big retailers aren't buying from this line anymore - so it goes to exclusive, and guess what, that makes the price go back up. (And on the printing costs, they'd go up because they'd have more surface space to cover since there were no windows doing the job for them.)

Hell, even if you took the wing cores out and made the cockpit a sphere entirely, you're still left with a box that's around 15.5 x 13 x 5", does that fit the issues above? No, it runs smack dab back into the "takes up a lot of real estate, not a pricepoint bought by at mass-retailers anymore, poor display" problems which won't get you anywhere near $20 country.

Devo
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd like resized and sculpted more accurately:

1) AT-ST (I think a more viable candidate than the AT-AT)
2) Desert Skiff (don't care if it'd be out of scale with the hypothetical barge - scale with figures is more important in this case)
3) Sandcrawler (at least twice as big as current one but know it won't happen for reasons others have stated)

Other vehicles like the Slave I don't see enough screentime and/or character interraction to really necessitate greater scale. I'd buy them if they were done because I'm an OT purist and semicompletist but I won't mind if they aren't made. And I'm kind of happy with the scale ratio between the y-wing and large x-wing - the sculpt could be less chunky and maybe if I did see a new one I'd be wondering how I was ever happy with the old one (like the momaw nadon situation) but at the moment I don't see a need. AT-AT? I'd buy it and if they did the cockpit right I'd be all over one but I think the ROTJ AT-ST would be better testing ground.

Jargo
07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
it's a shame they didn't think about doing larger vehicles before the damn world economy fell on it's arse.

Tycho
07-18-2008, 10:43 PM
it's a shame they didn't think about doing larger vehicles before the damn world economy fell on it's arse.

Actually, they had to, considering how much lead-time they claim that production takes from them.

That leaves it just as "it's a shame the darn world economy fell on it's arse."

Yes it is.

Tycho
07-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Hasbro is ALREADY looking at another large vehicle to make based on the success of the Falcon and the AT-TE.

There are some reasons why we could favor seeing the Sailbarge.

They are also interested in our forum votes for vehicle polls.

JediMasterSal conducted a series of these polls and I would like to forward the links to Hasbro. I have someone specific who asked for them.

I was asked to summarize the results and basically recalled from memory:

the Sailbarge
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid
THX Tank (EU) (they knew what tank it was even though I was less familiar with it)

They are very receptive to making more vehicles for the 3 1/4" line - and another large one at that.

The Sailbarge could be used with Anakin and Ashoka, Obi-Wan, and Clones, as well as Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, and Boba Fett. I think you're bound to see it in the Clone Wars animated stuff, which makes a strong case for marketing it now.

bigbarada
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
I would like to see them redo the AT-AT. Make it larger and more accurate. That's the only large vehicle that would be a definite buy for me. I really have no interest in a Sailbarge, Blockade Runner or any of the big prequel vehicles.

Ji'dai
07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
A resized AT-AT would be tough to pass up, but since I already have three of them (1 vintage, 2 POFT2) I'd really rather see a completely new vehicle never before released.

Since I don't collect prequel vehicles, it would have to be from the OT. I would definitely buy a Sail Barge if it was done correctly.

I'd want lots of room on the top deck for figures, and the masts & sails would need to be high enough for the tallest figures (Chewie) to stand under them. Plus a nice interior throne room for Jabba, the band, and his entourgage would be cool.

SplFrcsCWO
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
I'd buy an upsized Y-wing or AT-AT in a heartbeat. To me, the Y-wing is cooler than the X-wing.

jedi master sal
07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Hasbro is ALREADY looking at another large vehicle to make based on the success of the Falcon and the AT-TE.

There are some reasons why we could favor seeing the Sailbarge.

They are also interested in our forum votes for vehicle polls.

JediMasterSal conducted a series of these polls and I would like to forward the links to Hasbro. I have someone specific who asked for them.

I was asked to summarize the results and basically recalled from memory:

the Sailbarge
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid
THX Tank (EU) (they knew what tank it was even though I was less familiar with it)

They are very receptive to making more vehicles for the 3 1/4" line - and another large one at that.

The Sailbarge could be used with Anakin and Ashoka, Obi-Wan, and Clones, as well as Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, and Boba Fett. I think you're bound to see it in the Clone Wars animated stuff, which makes a strong case for marketing it now.

Excellent! Now if they want us to run a more formal poll with certain specifications, I'll totally set that up.

Tycho, the Cloud car placed HIGH and did last year as well. Push that vehicle. It's definitely in their $20 price point. In fact suggest to them to ask LFL to put it in one or two of the cartoon series. I'm serious on that too. If it's in the cartoon, then it bolsters it's chances of being done.

As far as continuity goes, hey, we can believe it took 25-35 years to build cloud city. So cloud cars could have been around during the prequels.

Thanks for mentioning the TX-130. It did well in the poll but not the top 5. I know myself and JT really want that one. With LEGO making one, Hasbro shouldn't be too far behind.

DarthBrandon
07-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you! My custom is 5 feet long and works for me. In 1999 I took it to Comic Con and showed it to Hasbro.

You can recreate all the movie scenes inside it (except Grievous' fighter from ROTS won't fit - I didn't see that coming).

I really hope they go down the same line as yours Tycho, that would really rock big time, even three to four feet long would rock. This is one that needs to be done. It's the first ship we see in the Saga & one of the last, not to mention we can re-create some of the battle scenes that took place on it. Don't worry about the Grievous fighter from ROTS, no one can see that far ahead.;):D

DarkArtist
07-27-2008, 01:11 PM
The Falcon prompted this discussion.

Blockade Runner
Star Destroyer
Jabba's Sailbarge (very possible)
TurboTank
Republic Cruiser
Invisible Hand
Imperial Landing Craft

AT-AT - could sell
Imperial Shuttle
Queen's Royal Starship
Sith Infiltrator
Jawa Sandcrawler
Republic Gunship - might also sell
Y-wing
B-wing
TIE Interceptor
TIE Bomber
AT-ST - could sell
Desert Skiff - great candidate actually

What would you want done / made? What's your priority?

nice list Tycho.

i guess if I had to say my wants would be the following (and I want to add some new ships to your lists)

1.) Blockade Runner / Tantive IV
2.) Republic Star Destroyer
3.) Imperial Landing Craft
4.) Clone Turbo Tank
5.) Imperial TIE Defender
6.) Jabba's Desert Sand Skiff
7.) Darth Maul's Sith Inflitrator
8.) Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow (with new Kyle and Jan Ors)

SplFrcsCWO
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Tycho-
Do you have pics of your rebel blockade runner online?

obi-dad
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
I believe you can find them at niub niub's site (http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/visitorList.asp) (http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/visitorList.asp)

I could be mistaken, but I believe these are his: http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg5.asp

Tycho
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Yup. That's me.

jedi master sal
07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Okay folks now the SDCC is over, we've got some work to good. Good work...

Tycho was able to talk with the fine folks at Hasbro and they were very interested in our vehicle poll. Now it's time to make an offical poll. This thread is another cog in the wheel to get things in motion. I'll be PMing JT about the new vehicle poll shortly. So, look for there to be a new poll up in the coming days.

This poll will include any ships you want to see made. Certain restrictions will apply-those to follow.

Do consider the viability of your desires though. Look to the polls conducted earlier this year to get a clearer indication. (In otherwords, while IG-88's ship sounds neat, the viability of it being made over say a never before made movie vehicle or resculpting/resizing an existing ship is unlikely.) If a ship only appears once, it's unlikely to be made, especially if it's only in text reference and there are no official pictures/graphics for what the ship looks like. In light of this, when posting your wants, please have a link (with picture reference) ready. This will help to expedite the poll and give your suggestion a better shot at being voted on. (If we don't know what it looks like, do you think we'd really vote on it?)

This time, the voting will be open for a little longer. Several factors will be taken into account for Hasbro. While not specifically mentioned in the polls, the votes will futher be catalogued into the possible categories: $20-30 pricepoint; $30-60 pricepoint; $60+ pricepoint; Never before made ship/vehicle; Resculpt/resize.'

When all the votes are tabulated, I'll forward on the lists to Hasbro, denoting the top vote getters in each category.

This is exciting news folks because it means not only is Hasbro listening, but they are willing to take into account our information. That's promising for us, kids and the whole fanbase in general.

-Sal

bigbarada
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I got the first submission then. You might have heard of this vehicle, it was pretty easy to spot in Empire Strikes Back.;)

Anyways, here are some comparison shots of the onscreen AT-AT compared to the latest release of the 1980s mold. If the vintage Falcon needed an update, then the vintage AT-AT is just screaming for one.

I would also vote for a ROTJ AT-ST that holds two figures in the cockpit and is at least 1.5 times taller.

obi-dad
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I got the first submission then. You might have heard of this vehicle, it was pretty easy to spot in Empire Strikes Back.;)

Anyways, here are some comparison shots of the onscreen AT-AT compared to the latest release of the 1980s mold. If the vintage Falcon needed an update, then the vintage AT-AT is just screaming for one.

I would also vote for a ROTJ AT-ST that holds two figures in the cockpit and is at least 1.5 times taller.

I gotta second barada's vote. These two are the most obvious vehicles that need to be redone.

Of course, as far as never before vehicles go, I think the Sailbarge needs to be done. I've heard both sides of the following argument, but I gotta say, I don't think either a Star Destroyer or Tantive IV should be made. To make them worth making, they would be too huge (remember Michael Fright's Tantive IV made to scale with 4" figures?) To make it far enough out of scale to still fit in a house, would make it missing too many necessary components (the hall way would be must, made to scale with the figures and the door leading to the right where r2 & c3po ran into the room with Leia would have to be there (as well as the conference room to the right from ROTS) and the room that Vader killed Antilles in. It just wouldn't work. Same for a Star Destroyer. Included are some pics from Michael Fright's other to scale vehicles and a link to his website (http://michaelfright.homestead.com/MICHAELFRIGHT.html) His stuff is also on Niub Niub's site.

jedi master sal
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I hear ya, BB and Obi. Just wait though. I'll get a thread up shortly. Just need to type it all out with easy instructions. And I need to get JT to put this on the home page as well.

Please noone else use this as the voting thread as I won't look to this thread for your "official" suggestions.

We need to keep the suggestions/voting for this in one thread for Hasbro. Of course you're more than welcome to continue this discussion in this thread as it has been, just please post in the other thread when it comes time. That thread will be set up to be a listing thread not a discussion thread. We don't want Hasbro to have to muddle through conversations. A quick note on ships/vehicles you specifically want and why is fine, just please don't submit 80 ships and then a sentence for each. Simple not cumbersome folks. <--much like my own post was...

Thanks.

DarthBrandon
07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I gotta second barada's vote. These two are the most obvious vehicles that need to be redone.

Of course, as far as never before vehicles go, I think the Sailbarge needs to be done. I've heard both sides of the following argument, but I gotta say, I don't think either a Star Destroyer or Tantive IV should be made. To make them worth making, they would be too huge (remember Michael Fright's Tantive IV made to scale with 4" figures?) To make it far enough out of scale to still fit in a house, would make it missing too many necessary components (the hall way would be must, made to scale with the figures and the door leading to the right where r2 & c3po ran into the room with Leia would have to be there (as well as the conference room to the right from ROTS) and the room that Vader killed Antilles in. It just wouldn't work. Same for a Star Destroyer. Included are some pics from Michael Fright's other to scale vehicles and a link to his website (http://michaelfright.homestead.com/MICHAELFRIGHT.html) His stuff is also on Niub Niub's site.

The Rebel Blockade Runner can be made, if it's around the size of the new Falcon except longer. It should do just fine as a ship/playset, it does not need to fit on a flatbed truck. You have a cockpit around the same size as the Falcon's except wider instead of egg shape. This should accomodate at least four figures. The ship can be almost as wide as the Falcon (if not shorten the width & make it longer Hasbro) except it should be a little longer like around 4 feet long. This should allow plenty of room for a decent hallway for battle scenes, escape pod area along with crew quarters & a section with table area for Bail, Yoda & Obi-Wan to discuss the twins fates & any other thing Hasbro wants to add for play features. i.e. Escape pods, mini rigs, chairs, gun racks, control panel etc. I could live with that & I think others would too. This is way too cool to pass up IMHO.:D

Tycho
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
DarthBrandon: I custom-built exactly what you described (no conference table though). It came out 5 feet long. I KNOW it's do-able. I rolled it into Comic Con in 1999 to prove to Hasbro that it was, and Steve Sansweet vouched for me.

I cannibalized the cockpit for the Millennium Falcon computer came (that fit over a standard sized computer keyboard) to have a 2-seat pilot / navigator counsel. Captain Antilles has to stand in my ship, but I'm looking for a chair for him.

Jargo
07-30-2008, 12:36 PM
According to GH rhode island says the next vehicle slated to be resized is Slave-1.

what happens if one has two ships in one? Two ships in one? As in Slave 1, which would be the perfect ship to get the next "BMF" sized upgrade. In fact, it is the next ship getting the BMF upgrade

also mentioned was the AT-AT. but i would imagine that would entirely depend on year end sales figures on the Falcon and AT-TE . it'd be huge so a big risk. however Slave-1 can be re-issued in AOTC colour scheme so that's more bankable. not to mention being a better vehicle to tempt kids with. way more play potential and good swooshability.

while the AT-AT might please army builders, i'm doubtful it could get enough sales to justify itself. Slave-1 though with decent interior and cockpit plus electronics and a couple of firing missile type functions just seems like a cooler concept. The AT-AT is really nothing more than a big storage chest on legs and the current version does that job adequately.

anyway. nothing is likely to appear til 2010 anyway. 30th anniversary of ESB.

bigbarada
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the AT-AT is just such an iconic vehicle that it would do well in the "BMF format." Even if you've only seen ESB once you'll instantly recognize the Imperial Walkers.

The Blockade Runner might be cool, but is more notable for its interiors and wouldn't be as recognizable as a vehicle toy. I think it would be better suited as a playset. Sure it was the first vehicle we saw onscreen, but I wouldn't want to devote the money or the space to it. An easy pass for me.

Slave 1? Why? I guess an Ep2 version where you can sit Boba and Jango side by side, but I wouldn't buy it. An ESB version... maybe a 10% chance I'd buy it; but most likely not.

So I guess, for me, it's the AT-AT or nothing.

Neuroleptic
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I love to see the big vehicles on the shelf, but hoenst truth, the price point is going to keep me away as a collector, simply because I can't afford it. I could MAKE room for them, but there is just no way in hell I'd get my wife to let me buy even one at 100 bucks or more.

Even still, I gotta agree with Big B. While I would never be able to afford it, I'd love to see a new AT-At on the shelf.

Unfortunately, my restored vintage At-At will have to be enough though, even if that becomes a reality.

obi-dad
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
DarthBrandon: I custom-built exactly what you described (no conference table though). It came out 5 feet long. I KNOW it's do-able. I rolled it into Comic Con in 1999 to prove to Hasbro that it was, and Steve Sansweet vouched for me.

I'm going to have to respectfully dissagree here. 5 feet long is not what I consider doable. The main reason I've seen for collectors not buying the Falcon was size and price, and the Falcon is the coolest vehicle for SW. Hasbro did an AWESOME job and if people can't afford the Falcon and find room for it, then a 5 foot long Tantive IV is out of the question.

I think the AT-AT is just such an iconic vehicle that it would do well in the "BMF format." Even if you've only seen ESB once you'll instantly recognize the Imperial Walkers.

The Blockade Runner might be cool, but is more notable for its interiors and wouldn't be as recognizable as a vehicle toy. I think it would be better suited as a playset. Sure it was the first vehicle we saw onscreen, but I wouldn't want to devote the money or the space to it. An easy pass for me.

I agree 100% here. It is cool, somewhat iconic (as the first ship we see), but we only see it the outside of the ship for less than 2 minutes out of 6 movies. It is most notable for the interiors and would make a VERY cool playset. It could even be modular.

I think the AT-AT & AT-ST would make the most sense and sell the best, much better than the Slave 1 IMHO, besides there were multiple AT-ATs and AT-STs in the movies... only one Slave 1 (ok 2 differnt paint schemes), but you could fill and Endor diorama with multiple AT-STs and a Hoth dio with multiple AT-ATs and AT-STs.

If Hasbro is hestitant to make the Sailbarge with it being in the Clone Wars movie, major battle of ROTJ, a major part of an action sequence, etc then I don't ever see them making the blockade runner.

bigbarada
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Also the AT-AT's were the center point of the primary battle sequence of Empire Strikes Back. So, in essence, the AT-ATs were ESB's "Death Star."

DarthBrandon
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM

I cannibalized the cockpit for the Millennium Falcon computer came (that fit over a standard sized computer keyboard) to have a 2-seat pilot / navigator counsel. Captain Antilles has to stand in my ship, but I'm looking for a chair for him.

I agree totally that it's doable, & it should be done before Slave 1 or any other $30.00 vehicle. I would much rather have the Blockade runner than a re-sized Slave 1. I mean what really happens inside this ship, we see Jango & Boba inside the cockpit & the vehicle flying or firing missles. If the RBR were to be produced, we could re-create the Imperial invasion inside, the escape pod scene, the meeting with Obi/Yoda/Bail, & the cockpit scenes as well. This provides much more playability than the Slave 1 & we could shoot & fire our own missles at will with the laser canons like in ANH. I really hope Hasbro makes this & a Sailbarge before another AT-AT or Slave 1. I'm not spending my money on a new AT-AT ( I have 3 already) or a re-sized Slave 1 (x2), even a re-sized Sith Infiltrator (x2 which I find to be one of most bad-a@@ vehicles of the P.T.) won't attract my hard earned money. The Falcon was long over-due IMHO & well worth the wait I might add, it's near perfect (would like to have had entry into the cockpit/escape ship from hallway) & well worth the money I spent. These will eventually sell out, it takes time in some areas, with the holidays coming it will make a great gift for any kid/collector. I truly hope when the voting goes on here & everywhere else, people vote for large vehicles they would like to see made that have not been made; or really need to be re-done & upscaled. (i.e. Rebel Blockade Runner, Sailbarge, Imperial Landing Craft, Palpy's Shuttle (ROTS), the Sandcrawler & others like this. If it were my choice it would be 2 new never before done vehicles in Large scale in 2009; the RBR & the Sailbarge. The following year (2010) could be the AT-AT & the Sandcrawler. In 2011 I would like to see Palpy's Shuttle & the Imperial Landing Craft, after that someone else can have their wish list.
I'd settle for the RBR over a Death Star Playset any day of the week, I like it that much:D

Tycho
07-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm totally on the same page with Darth Brandon, word for word.

Jabba's Sailbarge would be a great opportunity for Hasbro right now, with it appearing in the Clone Wars Animated. It can be sold as a prequel / EU vehicle, or the Classic from ROTJ that we all love.

There are so many Jabba Aliens that you can display on the sailbarge, too.

As much as I love the Tantive IV, multiple Rebel Fleet Troopers and Stormtroopers don't compete with all of Jabba's diverse and crazy entourage!

I don't think I'm in the market for resized AT-ATs, AT-STs, or Slave-One. With regards to the last, the prisoner cages are logical, but described in the EU. The Incredible Cross-Sections book documents the interior pretty well. Unless I try and display the ship when Bossk, Zuckuss, and 4-LOM teamed up with Fett or something, there's not that much to do with the ship in terms of movie-fandom. I love the AOTC mold with all the firepower that ship came with. Yeah, it's too bad that ship didn't have a working boarding ramp - but that's about all it really lacked.

The Sandcrawler might be interesting for a diorama builder like myself who likes Jawas and Droids. I'm not sure that would be a great seller, though. But yeah, I'm likely to buy there. But there's no way you could justify that being made before the Sailbarge.

mark2d2
07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Jabba's Sail Badge isn't something I will buy. But I think that it has more than enough fans to do very well if Hasbro choses to release it. Especially if it's in The Clone Wars.

Hopefully, it will open the doors to other vehicles for sure.

As awesome as that 5 foot Tantive V sounds, I just don't think it's at all practical. Heck, I am a HUGE fan and that is one of my favorite vehicles. . . and yet even I don't think I could find a home for that beast. Now if it were somewhat radically scaled down to three feet. . .

The AT-AT and Slave 1 seem like good solid if obvious choices.

A new Sandcrawler? Hey, I love the much maligned Vintage based OTC version. . . It's only the centerpiece of my collection. But I would absolutely 100 percent be all over a larger version to be sure. And in a seriously big way! This would rule!

The Sandcrawler would be fairly easy to tool, too. Definitely wouldn't have to be a insanely detailed inside as the Falcon, for instance. I dunno. I doubt it will happen, but yes. It could be done one day. Its definitely iconic enough. It's one of the few pieces I have out in my collection on display and everybody who sees it --- male or female --- recognizes it. For the most part they all want to play with it, too.

PS -- A Y-Wing with a droid slot seems like a no brainer and is something I would most definitely pick up.

pegger
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't buy a resized Slave 1. It's fine the way it is.

Same with the AT-ST and AT-AT. In fact, I don't see me buying any resized vehicles.

A Y-wing with an open droid slot would be nice - as would a re-do of the TIE Interceptor, with the proper cockpit.

obi-dad
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
A new Sandcrawler? Hey, I love the much maligned Vintage based OTC version. . . It's only the centerpiece of my collection. But I would absolutely 100 percent be all over a larger version to be sure. And in a seriously big way! This would rule!

The Sandcrawler would be fairly easy to tool, too. Definitely wouldn't have to be a insanely detailed inside as the Falcon, for instance. I dunno. I doubt it will happen, but yes. It could be done one day. Its definitely iconic enough. It's one of the few pieces I have out in my collection on display and everybody who sees it --- male or female --- recognizes it. For the most part they all want to play with it, too.

I, too, would buy a Sandcrawler. I wonder how well, overall, that it would sell, though. I don't think the OTC one was a huge success, but then again, it was just a repaint of the vintage one. If it would have even been double the size, it still wouldn't be screen accurate, but probably more people would have been interested. I found this one by Ares_X in a RS thread: http://members.cox.net/bountyhuntersrevenge/Sandcrawler/Sandcrawler.htm which is amazing and he went into great detail inside and out. As much as I love it and would buy it, again, we would probably be looking at $100+ vehicle and a large size. I wonder if it would have enough fan support for a vehicle that had very little action and screen time. BUT, I would do my part and buy it in a heartbeat.

SplFrcsCWO
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Slave-One does nothing for me. Jabba's Sail Barge-- maybe. Jawa Sandcrawler-- definitely!

Devo
07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Hmm. After looking at that pic I'd definitely love a sandcrawler of that size. The current one is more like a lorry/van than a mobile factory.

JediTricks
08-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm only skimming this thread right now because I don't have that much free time right now, but I do want to do a poll series similar to what we did with the figures. However, I don't want to try to tell Hasbro what to do with that, I don't want to shoehorn ideas into pricepoints, that's Hasbro's job. We don't even have an active $30 pricepoint for vehicles, the only consistent pricepoint is $20, everything else is battle packs or exclusives or unique. I'd like to ideas that are in the realm of reality - no Home 1, for example.