PDA

View Full Version : The Economy Finally Killed My Job

Jedi_Kal-El
07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
For those who didn't already know, I work for an RV manufacturer. Things have been slow for a while and I've survived numerous layoffs, and production shutdowns over the last few months. Earlier today, we were informed that in 3 months when our current production run is finished, we will be closing down.

It's a bummer, but it's been coming for some time I suppose.

Anyone else feeling the sting that bad? Some places more than others are getting hit hard, so how bad is it where you work?

Neuroleptic
07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
In my line of work (Certified medication aid in a nursing home) things are good. Though, I havn't enjoyed my job for some time and it has finaly prompted me to start working on going back to school (I take placement tests next week. Wish me luck!)

The only good thing I can say about working in the medical field is that it has great job security. No matter what happens, you always have a job. If you get fired, you can have a job within a week because many places are desperate for help right now.

Though, you know it's bad when the government dose a study and says you don't make enough for what you are doing. So even uncle sam thinks I don't get paied well. I make about 10.00 an hour which isn't a lot after health insurance and taxes. I get back about what I made back when I was earning 6.50 an hour. Then throw on gas and day care, and after I pay the house payment and . . . well, some days I realy don't know why I even bother to go to work anymore other than that my wife says I have to.

EDIT: And I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. I know of a few people in my area that have had the same problem lately. Only thing worse than seeing them fall on even harder times than my family is on, is knowing there isn't anything I can do to help my friends.

chrisc
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I just got hired in Law Enforcement. They started me at 15.97 an hour. I don't see a layoff or surplus of officers ever. I notice that every year Police Departments, and Sheriffs Offices are expanding. I don't know what your interest are in life Jedi_Kal-El, but you could check into police work. It takes between two to three months to get through the checks and test so you could giv it a shot. Just a suggestion.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
As a teacher, our employment is closely tied to the economy, as we are techincally state employees, so if the budget is less for education (surprise! CA's is cutting millions this year :( ), there'll be either layoffs or big cuts in funding. My district cut no one this coming year (:thumbsup: ), but we hired no one to replace retirees, meaning there are about the same number of students for less teachers. Some in my dept. were disappointed in no pay raise for this year, but I said I'd prefer to struggle with higher costs and the same pay, than no job and no pay with those same struggles.

J_K-E, I hope you can get on your feet. At least you have a little notice, rather than coming to work one day and having none the next. Good luck.

El Chuxter
07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Ouch. Hopefully things will go well for you; like Bel-Cam said, it's at least a plus that you got some decent notice.

bobafrett
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I work for Wal-Mart, and one thing my boss says is, as the economy struggles, folks start coming to our store to by, instead of going to the higher priced stores. It seems right because our store has had double digit increases anywhere from 10% to 25% over last years, and we usually expect a more modest increase.

I build/assemble bikes, furniture, displays and there isn't a slowdown yet. My pizza delivery job has taken a hit though, some of our regular customers have cut down on the amount of pizza they order, because the money is tighter, and gas is so expensive compared to this same time last year.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not so much worried about finding another job, I just that finally after a few years I found something that not only paid good money, but that I also loved to do. It was always one or the other, so that's got me bummed more than anything. Also, I have alot of good friends there, and most of them have kids, so I feel worse for them than I do for me, since we have no children.

They are offering everyone who works throught ot the end a decent severance package, so that will help. I put my resume in at AM General, a Hummer manufacuring plant(they do all of them including the military versions) a few months ago just to have another option, but I'm a bit hesitant to take a job with them for the fear that they'll go under as soon as I begin working there.

Things will work out I'm sure, it just bites to have something like this hanging over your head.

Darth Jax
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
i was let go from my job after 7 years due to the slowdown in the economy. But that happened to me last year. i was out of work for about 6 weeks before accepting another position (which was only part-time). After 9 months i was taken on full-time, but still i have to worry about the potential of being let go again.

Kidhuman
07-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear JKE.

JEDIpartner
07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
You hang in there, mister. My friend Gary lost his job a couple years ago. Jedi Drew lost his at the start of the year. It's everywhere.

jedi master sal
07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not so much worried about finding another job, I just that finally after a few years I found something that not only paid good money, but that I also loved to do. It was always one or the other, so that's got me bummed more than anything. Also, I have alot of good friends there, and most of them have kids, so I feel worse for them than I do for me, since we have no children.

They are offering everyone who works throught ot the end a decent severance package, so that will help. I put my resume in at AM General, a Hummer manufacuring plant(they do all of them including the military versions) a few months ago just to have another option, but I'm a bit hesitant to take a job with them for the fear that they'll go under as soon as I begin working there.

Things will work out I'm sure, it just bites to have something like this hanging over your head.

Not to stoke your worries, but you may want to look beyond a Hummer plant. Retail sales for the Hummer if not already, are expected to decline rapidly due to the low gas mileage. If you've got a hybrid plant by you, try them.

Best of wishes in your job search. Seven years ago I was let go from a company due to downsizing. I was out of work for 6 months, at the end of my unemployment until I managed to get into the place I'm at now and have been for these past 7 years.

mtriv73
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
If you're willing to relocate, I heard on NPR that Toyota is putting in a huge plant somewhere in Tennessee just across the Alabama border to build cars. It may take them a while before they're hiring, however.

I'm not worried about my job. It sounds horrible but as long as people are getting sick and dying there will be a need for research scientists. I'm hoping for an increase in funding with the next administration, however. There is always more equipment and supplies we would love to have (as well as a few more sets of hands) to help us get the job done.

Good luck with the job search.

Engineernerd
07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey JKE,

I'm assuming if you're applying at the Hummer plant you're in North /North Central Indiana. I work for the one of the medical companies in Warsaw. This industry is a little more resistant to changes in the economy. I know there are a couple places in town looking for people. If you're working with RV's, you'd have mechanical skills most people are looking for.

If there's anything I can do, let me know,
Engineernerd

(I've lost two jobs in my career, so I feel for you)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
As a teacher, our employment is closely tied to the economy, as we are techincally state employees, so if the budget is less for education (surprise! CA's is cutting millions this year :( ), there'll be either layoffs or big cuts in funding. My district cut no one this coming year (:thumbsup: ), but we hired no one to replace retirees, meaning there are about the same number of students for less teachers. Some in my dept. were disappointed in no pay raise for this year, but I said I'd prefer to struggle with higher costs and the same pay, than no job and no pay with those same struggles.

J_K-E, I hope you can get on your feet. At least you have a little notice, rather than coming to work one day and having none the next. Good luck.

I hear your concerns Bel-Cam and echo your feelings about pay. Our local economy in this rust belt town is never strong and the concern, due to loss of population and economic base, of closing one of our elementary schools is a very real concern. Many of these schools were built in the first half of the 20th century and our suceptible to water leaks, disrepair, and high heating bills. Our staff has always put forth the rumor about one of the schools being closed, as a matter of fact, every year since I got hired three years ago. I think it is a matter time and I just hope that I have made it higher enough on the seniority rank that whatever jobs are lost, I wouldn't be a part of it.

Our union somehow negotiated a contract in where we do not have to put forth any of our salary into our health insurance plan, which is a rarity nowadays. We did so with a minimal pay increase, which some of our teachers have grumbled about, but I like to remind them that what other profession grants you 2 months and change off, plus many breaks scheduled during the year, respectable pay (where I live at least) with a pension that one shouldn't have to worry about when retired.

JKE, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope that the economy rebounds enough soon that where we don't have to read about slowdowns within our already battered manufacturing and auto industry and that high quality paying jobs can be restored at the pace in which they were lost so that you and others can bounce back upon your feet.

JetsAndHeels
07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Jedi_Kal-El.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on how things are going.

CaptainSolo1138
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm with BCJ and LBC. I graduate in December with a teaching degree that is worthless to me unless I move out of Michigan.

I can stay, but I'll be applying for the same job as 600 other equally qualified people knowing that even if I got the job I would more than likely be laid off by May due to budget cuts.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm with BCJ and LBC. I graduate in December with a teaching degree that is worthless to me unless I move out of Michigan.In our area (southern CA), there's a teacher training program called Cambridge College (no, not from England but Massachusetts). In the newspaper, there was a story on how all the recent grads found out their credential only is effective in MA, not CA. I feel bad for them, since even if the details are worked out, I doubt they'll be done in time to apply for Sep. '08 job openings. :(

DarthQuack
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck man....hopefully you'll get something soon to pick you up.

UKWildcat
07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear JKE. That sucks.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-21-2008, 08:27 PM
In our area (southern CA), there's a teacher training program called Cambridge College (no, not from England but Massachusetts). In the newspaper, there was a story on how all the recent grads found out their credential only is effective in MA, not CA. I feel bad for them, since even if the details are worked out, I doubt they'll be done in time to apply for Sep. '08 job openings. :(

One thing I have heard for those who are uncertified to teach in certain states (but have degrees valid in others) is that they will be hired for the start of the year, with the agreement that the candidate continues to pursue their certification requirement by taking the necessary courses or tests needed. But this usually happens only with districts that are in a desperate need for candidates. From what I see, the most easily to fill positions, are elementary, physical education, english and social studies. The rest are
a little bit more difficult.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
But this usually happens only with districts that are in a desperate need for candidates. From what I see, the most easily to fill positions, are elementary, physical education, english and social studies. The rest are
a little bit more difficult.True, true. Around here, you won't find English or Social Studies jobs all that often, but Special Education, Math, or Science are relatively easy.

Blue2th
07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
That's a bummer to hear JKE.

On a side note, I was looking at buying a Toyota powered motor home a little while back. They are always overpriced, whether you buy them from someone used or bid on them on ebay. My guess is because they get so much better MPG than a typical RV, hence the high prices these days.
You would think that someone would make something like the old Toyota Chinook, or Dolphin again, but I don't see anyone making fuel efficient RV's anymore.
It's a part of the market that needs reviving I think.
What good is an RV if all you can do is park it in the driveway.