PDA

View Full Version : Occupations?

PloKoon2385
02-16-2002, 01:44 AM
What is your occupation? I am just curious to know. It is kinda an experiment, to see if there is any one particular occupation that has a lot of Star Wars fans. I am 16 so the closest thing to an occupation I have is being a courtesy clerk (box boy) at Albertson's (a grocery store based in Boise). I am also going to highschool of course. What about you?:confused:

SirSteve
02-16-2002, 02:11 AM
Web master/database designer/graphics designer/programmer/Star Wars collector

:)

Rollo Tomassi
02-16-2002, 02:40 AM
I am a projectionist at a movie theatre. I also sell popcorn from time to time.;) Soon I will have a degree from the University of Iowa in Film Production which I hope to use in making the blockbusters of the next millenium. Or at least in marketing them to you, the consumer. or maybe just getting coffee for somebody famous. or maybe as manager at a Family video. or an assistant manager...:(

I am also a Star Wars guru, but I don't get paid for that (unless you count the adoration of untold thousands who crowd into SSG simply to chat with little ol' me!;) )

Emperor Howdy
02-16-2002, 04:06 AM
I'm a musician who owns a landscaping company.....or a landscaper who plays in a band.....either will do.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-16-2002, 08:02 AM
I'm a fishgutter. Crap job but somebodies gotta do it else all them kiddies wouldn't have their fishfingers would they? :)

dr_evazan22
02-16-2002, 09:38 AM
What does Brown do for me? It employs me!
UPS baby!

I help insure that the local comic stores get their latest shipment on time.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2002, 12:51 PM
CURRENT occupation is substitute teacher. Which of these phrases fits your sub experiences from school best?

- "But that's not how [teacher] does it!"
- "That's dumb!"
- "What did he say?"
- "But I didn't do anything!"
- "Jerk!"
- "$#@&^%!!!"
- "No, I won't put the gun down."
- "I wish you were our regular teacher."
- "Are you seeing anyone?" :eek:

I am months away from filling that apparent void of qualified teachers in California by getting my teaching credential. :greedy:

master jedi
02-16-2002, 03:53 PM
I'm a moocher. I'm a professional bumb when I'm not working.:)

LTBasker
02-16-2002, 06:33 PM
I'm the guy at LucasFilm who has to sneak in under false aliases to find out about what's going on in the fanbase. Then I wake up. :p

Actually I'm 15 and have absolutely no job, well ok I do work at a SW collecting site but I don't get paid, although I do get free figs from every new wave. :happy:

Happy Jeddah? :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-16-2002, 07:21 PM
I fry chicken and various other foods. Next job for me: Full time student at Ohio State.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Currently enrolled at Cal State Los Angeles...home to be (soon) of the most technologically advanced crime lab in the world! Even better than the FBI's! NO JOKE. Crim major, will graduate in June and hope to find myself working at LAPD as a crime scene investigator/technician. And of course to keep myself sane, I have been a SW geek and avid, worthy, follower/collector since the age of 5 in 1975. To support my habit I sell books and live off financial aid LOL :eek: DOH!

wampabreath
02-16-2002, 08:10 PM
I supervise a team of lab technicians in the manufacture of a large scale, biorecombinant, therapeutic protein called "Factor VIII"....I know this sounds a bit ominous....but all it means is that we make a wonderful treatment for hemophilia...you know, the bleeding disorder; it prevents them from bleeding to death! Ain't science grand!!!

senator jar jar
02-16-2002, 10:12 PM
FINANCIAL ADVISOR

stillakid
02-16-2002, 10:19 PM
male prostitute :eek:

stillakid
02-16-2002, 10:22 PM
...but really folks...

writer & freelance cameraman:cool:

soon to be "international man of leisure" :greedy:

derek
02-16-2002, 10:28 PM
q

wampabreath
02-16-2002, 10:31 PM
Stillakid, living sooo close to West Hollywood as we do, your choice of profession would not surprise me in the least ;)

stillakid
02-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by wampabreath
Stillakid, living sooo close to West Hollywood as we do, your choice of profession would not surprise me in the least ;)

eek! I was just talking to a stripper during a lapdance the other day :cool: that it would be a great career so long as I could do it for the ladies. Alas, there aren't a whole lot of those opportunities around. It's a cold cruel world out there.

SithDroid
02-17-2002, 02:11 AM
Hey Rollo I'm an actor if you are ever in need of any. I also write screenpalys and eventually I would like to get into film. Right now I'm working a day job in order to save up money for the big move to California.

Rollo Tomassi
02-17-2002, 12:47 PM
My sister lives on Omaha...Oh!:eek: I'm a tit! My sister went to Toy Fair because she's a buyer for a retail chain and I still haven't called her to ask for her TF Vader. Darn me...:mad: :rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me Sith Droid!

SithDroid
02-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Well which store does she buy for? I hope she has noticed the serious lack of the FX-7 wave and Zutton wave. If she knows anyone over at TRU tell her they need to start ordering more stuff. Their selection is horrible.

Jedi Clint
02-17-2002, 03:42 PM
I have a HVAC business. I also do plumbing and electical work for this business as well. It is a one man operation.

I also build, repair, and program IBM based PC's for my community.

When I am not required to fill either of those positions, I take care of my 2 daughters (ages 8 months and 3 years). I also help out around here as much as possible.

derek
02-17-2002, 10:22 PM
jedi clint,

what is HVAC?

if uncloging my toilet counts as plumbing, well........:D

Jedi Clint
02-17-2002, 10:26 PM
H.V.A.C. (sorry I didn't provide proper punctuation in my previous post) stands for:

Heating
Ventilation
and Air Conditioning

derek
02-17-2002, 10:45 PM
jedi clint,
in that case, any suggetions on how to cut down on household dust? it's killing my collection!:D

are those "electrostatic" air filters paul harvey advertises for on the radio any good?

ConvergeDW
02-17-2002, 11:09 PM
well, I am going to school for Toy Design at FIT in NY
...i am not kidding.
I actually had an interview with Hasbro last week.
...once again I am not kidding

Jedi Clint
02-17-2002, 11:14 PM
I have heard good things about them Derek. I think they are around 50 bucks....maybe more, but they are reusable and fairly easy to clean. I should probably consider getting one. No one ever really asks about such things when I install their units. This is what I tell my customers:

Change your filter often.....at least once a month. They don't cost much and it will dramatically increase the life of your furnace. For the reusable filters.....I would say clean them often....at least as much as the instructions for the filter suggest.

Are you in an extremely dusty environment Derek?

The other thing that could help your ventilation system, would be to have your duct work cleaned out. You should see the nasty ducts that I have worked with........ugh......shudder......shudder. The return air ducts are where the majority of crud rests.

How old is the house?

stillakid
02-17-2002, 11:44 PM
I've heard that if you keep all of your ducts in a row, you shouldn't have much trouble. :D

derek
02-17-2002, 11:53 PM
jedi clint,

my house is about 30 years old. i don't live in a dusty area. the funny thing is, my parents live near by in an older, but better built house, and have no dust problem.

Dark Knight
02-18-2002, 12:54 AM
I'm a student / plus a cook at TGIF.

:eek: :evil:

Wolfwood319
02-18-2002, 03:59 AM
I work for an accounting firm. I mainly do systems analyst stuff, as well as assitant stuff(filing and answering phones). I'm like the office guy, the only guy there who doesn't do actual accounting stuff. Its actually part of a quasi-internship as I finish off my last 2 years of college to take my CPA exam.

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2002, 10:24 AM
I work for a hospital here in NC. I do doctors' schedules and coordinate appointments for patients. If anyone read the "I hate my job" thread you know how I feel about it. I am lucky to have a job, but I need a change.
Luckily enough, that change will come later this year because I am moving.

PloKoon2385
02-18-2002, 04:27 PM
ConvergeDW if you make it into Hasbro, try to make even more improvements. We still need a Imperial Shuttle you know:D Seriously though, that would be really cool to have someone who works at Hasbro at SSG. Way to go!

PloKoon2385
02-18-2002, 04:34 PM
Wow. There is a big variety! Cool. I was thinking that a lot of computer professionals would be here, but I guess not. Hmm......

El Chuxter
02-18-2002, 04:49 PM
According to my title and job description, I design and take care of printing marketing brochures for a large flowmeter manufacturer. In reality, though, since this company does most of their design through a barely literate advertising firm, I'm a slightly glorified gopher.

I plan to go back to school as soon as possible and get a teaching credential or, as I've thought about more and more in the past couple of weeks, getting a doctorate so I can teach at the college level. Either one of those, or I'm going to take up harmonica and start a blues band! :D

ConvergeDW
02-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks Plo, but it doesn't look too bright right now. So I am going keep trying.

buba-fatt
02-19-2002, 08:44 PM
I am one of those "ditch diggers" that your teachers told you that you would be if you didnt further your education past high school. I install traffic lights and other traffic devices. I once was an unloader at a major retailer. Throwing bags of dogfood will help you loose wieght. Having donuts every morning puts the weight back on.

buba-fatt
02-19-2002, 08:49 PM
weight/wieght ....please tell me one is spelled correctly.
See kids, stay in school.

Emperor Howdy
02-19-2002, 09:29 PM
I believe it's "wayeet"......

master jedi
02-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Yes. One is spelled correctly. But you mis-spelled weight.:)

Darth Cruel
02-20-2002, 03:03 AM
am a Certified Welding Inspector. I also hold level II certifications in magnetic particle and dye penetrant testing. It is really not as boring as it sounds and the pay is more than enough to pay the bills and do all of the Star Wars collecting I want without ever hearing complaints about the money spent on it from my better half. I am currently doing the inspection on a power plant being built on the Central California coast.

"And the most amazing thing to me is... I get paid for doing this!!!" (Steve Martin)

Deoxyribonucleic
02-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
I am currently doing the inspection on a power plant being built on the Central California coast.

Looks like you'll have job security then for a very long time what with all those darn-ed power plants being built thanks ta Mr. Gray (sp) Davis and our power "problem" :) At least somebody decent is making money off of his stupidity and not just him and his 22 million dollar private jet :mad: that I'm paying for in taxes. Make as much as you can darth cruel....then buy a life-size X-wing and shoot Mr. Gray Davis and his jet outta the sky DOH! :) :) :) :) :)

Jedi Teacher
02-20-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm a 4th Grade teacher.
I like the job--it's just so sad how little these children know about Star Wars . . .

Lord Malakite
02-20-2002, 01:36 PM
The children probably feel the same way about how much you know about Star Wars. ;)

Mike Troxell
02-20-2002, 02:03 PM
I am a movie theater employee. Most of my work is in the box office, but I occasionally am an usher and less occasionally a concessionist.

And hopefully I will become a projectionist.

And then I will eventually become an elementary school teacher.

And then I will eventually die.

Rollo Tomassi
02-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Well which store does she buy for? I hope she has noticed the serious lack of the FX-7 wave and Zutton wave. If she knows anyone over at TRU tell her they need to start ordering more stuff. Their selection is horrible.

It was two smaller chains that merged. Pamida and ?? The really wierd thing is she and her boss (the main toy buyer for the chain) were supposed to be in NYC on 9/11 for some conference or meeting. But he hurt his back skiing/rock climbing/skydiving (something like that) so they didn't go. Creepy huh?

Rollo Tomassi
02-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
I am a movie theater employee. Most of my work is in the box office, but I occasionally am an usher and less occasionally a concessionist.

And hopefully I will become a projectionist.

And then I will eventually become an elementary school teacher.

And then I will eventually die.

Projectionist is definitely the thing to be at a movie theatre. No annoying customers to deal with. Just a quarter million dollars worth of equipment. So no pressure!!

We certainly have a lot of teachers in these forums.

Is dying a nice vocation? What's that pay?

r2dee2
02-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I'm an ex-teacher, ex- mother, homemaker and care-giver, cook, house cleaner, grocery shopper, laundry do-er and chauffeur; a secretary for all those little things my husband can't remember or find, a mediocre painter and crafter........ and I try to run a SW web page without knowing all those neat tricks of the trade.

Mike Troxell
02-20-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Is dying a nice vocation? What's that pay?

Surprisingly little. :)

QLD
02-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Computer Help Desk Analyst

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Death is a good business to be in....
Coffin making. Now that's where the REAL money is. People always need coffins.... And funerals arranging for them and bodies embalming and - why am I standing at a bench for twelve hours gutting fish for a few measly pennies a day? Something just aint right here! :crazed:

Lord Malakite
02-20-2002, 11:21 PM
So instead of gutting dead fish for pennies, you want to gut dead people? Neither one sounds too thrilling, but if I had choose one, I'd go with the dead fish.

PloKoon2385
02-21-2002, 12:23 AM
Hmm....... That's a lot of responses... There are a lot of teachers. But, in reality just about everyone knows a teacher sometime in their life, besides their own teacher. I have four neighbors that are teachers, one of them is my third and fourth grade teacher. And my mom is an instructional assistant (works with handicap kids). So, it makes sense. I am just surprised how there aren't that many (or none) computer professionals, note the non-use of the word "computer geek". I would expect more than that. I wouldn't like being a teacher. All those whiney kids and parents who whine. I want to be a marine biologist, fish don't whine. They just use instinct, not too much thinking for them. :D

Jedi Clint
02-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
I am just surprised how there aren't that many (or none) computer professionals, note the non-use of the word "computer geek". I would expect more than that.

How do you define "computer professional"?

This one seems to fit the bill:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=40140#post40140

As does the second section of this post:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=40511#post40511

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2002, 01:29 AM
There are a lot of teachers. But, in reality just about everyone knows a teacher sometime in their life

I know many many police officers, criminalists and lawyers, more so than I do teachers :)

PloKoon2385
02-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Jedi Clint, those indeed are computer professionals, but I just expected more. I also kinda thought there would be more Microsoft people, computer programers, etc. But those are cool, too.

DNA, wow you sure know a lot of federal type people. (didn't know the word). I don't think I know a single police officer, or criminalist. I do however have a lawyer in my neighborhood, but he's out of a job...

Oh, and by the way, I recounted and I know another teacher. She is my best friend's mom, (how could I forget her). She teaches music and is at school right now at the UW.

Jedi Teacher
02-21-2002, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't like being a teacher. All those whiney kids and parents who whine. . :D

Actually it's not that bad--teaching is a lot of fun. The parents in my district really only complain if you're a crappy teacher--in which case you deserve to deal with all of their complaints.

Obi-Don
02-22-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm a lead setup and run the Delphi section on the 3rd shift. I have to make sure that the right products are running and have to fix and change over the jobs. We make o-rings for just about anything you can think of. After seeing all those o-rings every night I will not allow cheerios or anything that look like them in the house. I get so tried of seeing those damn o-rings but I do get paid well.

PloKoon2385
02-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Well at Albertson's after handling celery, my hands smell. Celery doesn't even HAVE a smell! So, I don't know how it smells up my hands......ugh. Celery and also I hate bagging lettuce because it is always soaking wet!:crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-23-2002, 01:36 AM
She teaches music and is at school right now at the UW.

I went to UW many moons ago. What part of Washington you in? I'm assuming Seattle since you mentioned UW? I grew up and lived most of my life in Seattle/Bainbridge Island, WA...boy sometimes I really miss it up there! Clean air, pine trees a'plenty and absolutely beautiful and no acid rain hehe :)

PloKoon2385
02-23-2002, 02:14 AM
I am up near Bothell/ Redmond/Duvall, in a city called Woodinville. It's quite nice. But I hate the no snow policy of mother nature here and the rain all you want policy.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-23-2002, 03:01 AM
I am up near Bothell/ Redmond/Duvall, in a city called Woodinville. It's quite nice. But I hate the no snow policy of mother nature here and the rain all you want policy.

I house-sitted a friend's ranch in woodinville...got to drive her carmengia (sp?) too! That was a blast....she had 2 or 3 llamas.

Do you remember the snow storm X-mas 1990? Were you there then? I remember buses and cars stranded EVERYWHERE lol and there went my lil' subaru up those blasted Seattle hills leaving everybody in the dust DOH! :D

PloKoon2385
02-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Well........I was only five years old when that happened, but I have seen pictures. We had a whopper hale storm a couple of years ago......... in August! And there was a small funnel cloud (tornado) in Lake Washington! Weird stuff. The hale was like six inches deep too.:crazed:

TeeEye7
02-24-2002, 02:49 AM
I'm a technical investigator (a.k.a. crime scene investigator, hence my user name TeeEye7=TI7, my radio call sign). I investigate anything from broken windows to homicide.

Deoxyribonucleic:

Since you're about to join the wacky world of forensics, what's your specialty? I'm in a medium- sized agency, so we wear many hats. My specialties tend to be crime scene reconstruction, latent prints, and photography. I love the latent print work. We get the ones that thought they got away! BTW good luck with those final exams when they come up!

As for teachers...my wife teaches 3rd grade. There does indeed seem to be a theme here....:)

PloKoon2385
02-24-2002, 01:34 PM
So you see a lot of gross stuff. :stupid: I don't think I could handle it. Cool for you though.

PloKoon2385
02-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Are there any people in here that are writers/musicians/artists etc? I am just curious.

SithDroid
02-25-2002, 11:09 PM
I am. I write screenplays. I'm also an actor and on occasion I have been known to play several musical instruments, but wouldn't consider myself a musician.

vulcantouch
02-26-2002, 12:30 AM
when esb came out in 1980 i got to VisiT the projection room of the old cooper theater :cool:

kiddo: your real name wouldn't happen to be fred garvin (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/scripts/78ofredgarvin.phtml), would it? if so, i'd Kill to have yer theme music (that plays every time you tell people your name & occupation) :cool:

derek: continuum entity eh? omnipotence; a big job, but i guess someone's gotta do it :o

rt: "just getting coffee for somebody famous"
-ever see Swimming W/Sharks? better not confuse the sweet&low w/the nutrasweet :eek:

dee2: no wonder you & i get on so well, i usually got along w/my teechers :) what age group?

ltb: free figs? good gig :)

jf96: i disagree- lucky is not Havin to have a job: "people. . . people who don't need jobs. . . are the luckiest people in the wuuuuuuld" :D

lm: "if I had choose one, I'd go with the dead fish"
-not me; between the two, guttin people Always pays better, no matter Why you slice 'em :Pirate:

dc: welding always reminded me of ds9's wormhole, when you'd get a VorTex of smoke swirlin up from the contact point.
vulcan, after all, is the god of metalworkin :cool:

pk2385: i'd say a common thred runs thru mosta these occupations: respectability. (even mj's professed "bum" can be respectable, if one's honest about it ;) ) so maybe i should keep me mouth shut, lest i skew that average (or needlessly put dna or te7 on my scent :evil: ). Ah want tuh dew whot's Roight, ah Dew! :happy:
vt
np: rupaul, "supermodel" ("yew bettah WUUURK!")

stillakid
02-26-2002, 10:03 AM
I write screenplays, am writing a book at the moment and work as a cameraman.

r2dee2
02-26-2002, 10:14 AM
VT, I taught 4th graders in Hamilton, Mississippi while my husband went through pilot training. Then I taught pre-school in Oklahoma.
BTW, I won't be able to make the Spacedock VTeatime....already booked;) ...another time:D

Jayspawn
02-26-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm a security system monitor for a major security company. I don't like it but it pays the bills.

good shot jansen
02-26-2002, 12:16 PM
these days i only play in the confines o' my livin' room.

back in the early 80's was signed to a west(well it was west back then) german record label, and had a moderate successful hit on the german dance charts (a remake of freda paynes band of gold). the band consisted of the same musicians from the popular (at least back then they were) band mink deville. i played the keyboards. basically these days i stick only to the piano, but am also a somewhat decent drummer (at least i can keep time pretty well).

back in 86, decided to stick with my day job, (architecture) which i had been going to school, as well as werkin, as well as keepin up with the band back then. (whew), and am currently an architect here in south florida.

of interest to prolly only Deoxyribonucleic, and PloKoon2385, i have my undergraduate degree from the evergreen state college. my senior year was 1980. do to a little hicup back then from a mountain known as st. helens, finals were cancelled due to an enourmous amount of ash from the 2nd eruption!

it's funny that you guys were tawkin' bout the snowstorm of 1990, back in the beginning of 1980, there was a snowstorm that dropped 39" of the stuff in olympia! as i recall, the area was buried for nearly two weeks!

i truely miss my days up in the pacific northwest. remember, this is prior to the days of seattle being discovered by the rest of the country, back then the area was most remebered for the 60's television show, here come the brides!

r2dee2
02-26-2002, 07:12 PM
GSJ, since I know your son shares in your passion for MM I hope he also has some of your musical talent. I've found that music and engineering/maths/sciences seem to go hand in hand.

Talking of snowstorms, it makes me remember my snowstorm experience here in Colorado. Good old Murphy's law let's these things occur when my husband is out of town. We got 6 FEET of snow! We do have a snow thrower and I proceeded to start my way in clearing a path. Of course I run out of gas and there's no gas to be found in our gas cans....except in my husbands motorcycle:) I take a turkey baster and slowly fill a container with as much gas as I can manage and finally finish the job after many hours :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by good shot jansen
of interest to prolly only Deoxyribonucleic, and PloKoon2385, i have my undergraduate degree from the evergreen state college. my senior year was 1980. do to a little hicup back then from a mountain known as st. helens, finals were cancelled due to an enourmous amount of ash from the 2nd eruption!

Hey Good Shot, I was actually up in the mountains getting firewood about 20 miles from St.Helens when it decided to go BOOM! We almost didn't make it home and picked up a guy on a motorcycle who's headlight had burnt out...we actually almost ran over him because it was so darn dark and my dad was in the biggest hurry, "life in danger" hurry, and we barely saw his tail light...we put him and his bike in the back (he didn't want to sit in the cab because he wanted to witness the "history" and we high-tailed it outta there! It was something I will never forget! As I'm sure you won't either :)

I've been to Everygreenn too, didn't attend but a friend of mine went there. Nice lookin' campus! Seems like you have done ALOT! :)

Lobito
02-27-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm a CPA and work as Control Administration Manager in my old man's Accounting firm. I would also like to teach history, but that will have to wait a little bit.

Dar' Argol
02-28-2002, 12:56 AM
I'm a Bike Tech Manager at my Wal-Mart :) but b/4 that I worked in . . . . imagine . . . TOYS!!!!!! Ilove what I do not b/c I'm an avid Mountain Biker/Body Destroyer during the spring and summer so it keeps my repair skill up to par.

I'm also a part-time Con Artist. Really I am. Trying to convince my wife that I REALLY NEED that new figure even though they have produced 16 differant variants of that one b/4. I am really quite skilled and I am thinking of taking on an apprentice.

COME TO THE SLY SIDE OF THE FORCE. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF BUTT KISSING!!!!!!!!!

Rollo Tomassi
03-22-2002, 03:10 PM
I've started four screenplays myself. I've finished zero.

What are your screenplays about? SithDroid? stillakid?

SithDroid
03-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Well, I co-wrote a screenpaly that I actually have copywritten (boy it actually feels like I acomplished something with that) with a friend and ex-roommate of mine. The story is basically about college kids. I think that it is hilarious and so do most people who read it, the problem is getting it to peple who can actually get it made. I used to live in California for a short time and I gave a copy of it to a girl who was in The Princess Diaries because she knew Eddie Kay Thomas and said she could get a copy to him. However that was right before I moved back home for a while, so I haven't called her recently to see whatever happend in that area. Plus my friend and ex-roommate are really good friends with Chris Klein, so they wanted to give him a copy to read, but they can never get ahold of him because he is really busy. So hopefully something will come of it.

I started on a sequel to the first screenplay we wrote in case we eventually DO get it made and a studio would like to make another one.

I also started a screenplay about cloning, but when I realized (not to my knowing because I never saw the film or knew anything about its plot) that it resembled too close a plot of the horrible Arnold Schwartzenegger movie The 6th Day, I scrapped it.

I also have an idea for a historical screenplay. However I have to do a lot of reaserch in order to start on this one, and I just don't have time right now to go to the library and check out a ton of books.

So in summation, 1 completed, 1 started, 1 trashed, and 1 meaning to start.

That's it for right now.

stillakid
03-22-2002, 04:20 PM
I've got one "kid's" story ready to go. For reasons I'm certain you understand, I'll paint with a broad brush here, but to give you an idea, it's fairly heavy-duty action. It's more or less a chase movie with all the action and suspense you'd see in an adult version, only it stars kids.

Another one I'm working on is best described as the answer to the question, where does Roy Neary go? It's not the same character by any stretch, but that question of why aliens would come here and collect us and where do they take us is pretty much at the core of this epic morality tale. I hope to have it finished by the end of the year.

I've more or less trashed the first one I wrote, though there are nuggets in there that could be reused someplace else.

Not to mention the pages of "ideas" that maybe one day will grow into full fledged screenplays. I also have a couple of television specs finished that I essentially did as writing samples.

I have one other kid's thing ready to go that I'd like to just sell outright. All the others, those written and those festering, I'd like to direct.

I'm also in the process of writing a non-fiction book at the moment and am currently looking for a publisher for it.

icatch9
03-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Right now I work for a drug dealer. Really I work for a very large pharmaceutical company. I am a Managed Marked and Exhibit Services Assistant. All that means is that I do the stuff that the important people are too important to do. Itís a cool job and pretty easy. Plus, the pay is good.

This is just an in-between job before I start teaching P.E. Yep, another teacher. I graduated in December and am moving to the big city. Once settled here I will find myself a real teaching job.

Rollo Tomassi
03-23-2002, 12:03 PM
"I work for an Drug Dealer." I bet that's a nice icebreaker at parties, icatch9.:D

(pointing)Now go tell us what your name means in the other thread!:mad:

Cool Ideas, guys. Mine are about a bunch of people who work at a pizza joint. Sort of an ensemble comedy for young adults.

An adaptation of "Spell for Chameleon" This was my first screenplay that I wrote as sort of practice after I got Final Draft. Then I lost about 40 pages of it when my computer crashed and I never finished it. Oh well, it wouldn't have gotten made anyway.

One I was writing with a friend called "The Courier" which is strinkingly similar to Jan DeBonts upcoming movie. Ours came first dammit!:mad:

The last one was about terrorists trying to take over a building. Guess THAT one is going in the trash...:rolleyes:

I also have plenty of tidbits written down on scraps of paper all over the place. I bet I could squeeze another story or two out of them if I gathered them all together.

SWAFMAN
03-24-2002, 03:42 AM
Rollo, although my moral/ethical side says that the terrorist screenplay would be ill-timed and in bad taste, my pragmatic side says it just may be perfectly timed and you may well find some smaller studio hot to cash-in by bringing such a story to market while the subject matter is so relevant. As long as it won't get you sued by whoever wrote Die Hard.

Um, I s'pose as long as I'm here, I'll chime-in. I'll try to leave out all the gory details...
Worked through school in LA as a Cyto-tech in a couple medical labs.
Took some film courses (why not - it was LA, right?) and massaged that into a videotape editor job that I really loved for about 6 years, eventually opening and running a second location for them.
Got into computers with the video editing job, and kept learning about them and working with them through the years, while doing some basic 9-to-5 stuff, then had a chance to get in on the ground floor with a manufacturer of the absolute best quality computers ever built - Swan. Some of our military forummers may know Swan, if you were in the service back in the early 1990s. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished, and as soon as Swan's reputation got too good, we were bought out by Groupe Bull, who only cared about profit, not quality (sorry, I promised to keep this lean..) Long story short - Swan was out of business a few years later, but everyone who'd been there from the start had the greatest experiences of our professional lives.
I went to Motorola and then Raytheon as a systems engineer.
Raytheon lost the bid on a contract I'd been working on for five years, and the company who won that bid hired me to stay on the contract and run a new team of support engineers for them.
That contract recently reached its end date, and I'm between projects now.

Rollo Tomassi
03-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
Rollo, although my moral/ethical side says that the terrorist screenplay would be ill-timed and in bad taste, my pragmatic side says it just may be perfectly timed and you may well find some smaller studio hot to cash-in by bringing such a story to market while the subject matter is so relevant. As long as it won't get you sued by whoever wrote Die Hard.

I was in a serious political mindset when I wrote it (the first half anyway) and it was showing the terrorists as, if not protagonistic, that certainly sympathetic. I was really trying to delve into why they would act they way they do. There was just as much character in the "bad guys" as there was the 'good guys" trying to stop them. The idea of "terrorism" in itself does not seem threatening. You could have a totally over the top terrorist scenario like SPECTRE from James Bond or Cobra in a live action G.I.Joe movie and people would react differently than they would if they saw the movie I was writing. I just think it's too soon( I know for me it is.), so not the circular file, but I'll definitely be putting it in a drawer.

Hmmmmm...live action G.I.Joe....:greedy:

To keep on subject, I still work in a movie theatre.;)

billfremore
03-24-2002, 12:30 PM
I'm a graphic designer and desktop publisher for a government agency that researches and publishes health and hospital reports.

My hundredth post, yay!!!

Jargo
03-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Smalltime actor big on talent not so big on luck. Set designer but only when people have no money and need something fast. Interior decorator when money is tight.

Would like to be a writer. Wrote several screenplays all of which now languish in a drawer. My best screenplay was about a guy who murders his live in lover because he has big issues with women. he then takes up with a gay prostitute and thinks he's found paradise for some reason. He then also takes up with a female work colleague and murders her too. the prostitute finds out and has to decide what to do while the murderer discovers that the prostitute knows and has to decide what to do about that. Then I let the story hang. Hate convenient endings so I left the ending as a cliffhanger. Wrote a sequel but wasn't happy so I wrote a different sequel and dumped that too. Now I've split the original script and worked more detail into it so I can pitch it to TV companies as a two parter crime thriller.... it's more thrilling than I briefly described honest. :D

Ocassionally sang with bands but having my voice described as something like a singing chipmunk put me off and I haven't sung in public for years since. It's one thing for critics to diss your repertoire but when they diss your voice it's kinda personal and that one critic hit me at a bad time so...... maybe one day I'll rise again and belt 'em out despite the chipmunk voice. I wouldn't have minded but I'm a baritone/tenor.... :(

Also like designing theater props. My motto is 'no-one will notice from twenty feet away....' which I use frequently when things go wrong.

Worked as a nanny for a short time. A baby girl born two months premature to a family friend who didn't want to give up work. I wasn't doing much at the time so it seemed a good idea..... I did a rather good job. People always assumed the kid was mine and it was easier to just agree. The mother got a bit too attached to the idea of me taking care of the kid and I got tired of being treated like a surrogate dad so I quit. Shame cuz I really bonded with the little girl. Now she wonders where I am all the time. She's gonna have some questions and issues when she gets older.......... I wouldn't want to be in her mothers shoes when that day comes.

PCofmisfittoys
03-27-2002, 01:23 AM
..Toys R Us manager , Freelance Artist/sculptor , owner of a EBAY listing service , vintage collector of SW , convention goer , human , and more than all the rest husband.

jedihunter25
03-27-2002, 01:54 AM
I'm a stagehand that works through I.A.T.S.E. Local 720 at Mandalay Bay for Encore Productions. The money is good, but I'm on call 24/7. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm getting to work tomorrow because my girlfriend just trashed my Corvette tonight!!:mad:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-27-2002, 11:53 AM
I clean banthas, yes a dirty job but who else is going to do it?

nuff' said

Lone Jedi
04-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Right now, I'm a pharmacy student/intern. In a year or so with training (and luck), I'll be a licensed pharmacist. :eek:

bigbarada
04-17-2002, 02:18 AM
Former Army Sergeant, now unemployed loser.:)

I would love to self-publish comic books, but that's just crazy unless you don't mind losing thousands of dollars every month.

I have a few stories in the works, some superhero based, some fantasy based, some sci-fi based and one cowboy western. :cool:

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2002, 01:09 PM
I coordinate appointments and manage Doctors' schedules at Duke Hospital. I pick up the slack for the doctor when he decides to go out of town or cancel a clinic day. I also answer the phone to register new patients and make appointments. Basically I hate it, but I am leaving in 2 weeks. I am moving and also changing jobs. A local Optometrist in my new area will be needing someone to update his computer database and file insurance, so I am the man for that!! But I wont start this until the beginning of June. My last day here is May 3rd, so I have almost a whole month to toy hunt and see Star Wars over and over and over!!

Darth Ovori
04-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Finance manager and stock broker supervisor!!!

Used to be a HVAC and architectural consultant...

Currently working on a project in my spare time, which is a book that is based on 7 years of my research and designs in archeology, prophecies and revelations...

But for a full time, I would do anything to work for a company like Mcfarlane Toys!!!

187-Maul
04-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Ovori, have you checked out the new monsters section at spawn.com (was put live today)? AWESOME !!! I love them all!!! especially voodoo queen...

InsaneJediGirl
04-19-2002, 09:27 PM
What do I do?Hmm..

In a few weeks,I'll be training for my summer job(Supermarket
Bagger).However,my real passion is Science,so I have been
researching the effects of Sugar on Tomatos :).Other than that..
I'm a student and SW Collector...Not very exciting:rolleyes:

jedi_uk73
04-20-2002, 07:00 AM
Heavy Goods Vehicle driver.

It don't pay a great deal, but it helps towards my collection.

Hopefully going back into Computer Engineering soon.

TeeEye7
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm still keepin' on keepin' on! :whip:

sith_killer_99
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow, golden shovel.

I repair and maintain medical equipment in the United States Army, since 1994.

Fort Belvoir, VA
Tripler, HI
Fort Knox, KY
Camp Zama, Japan
Camp Carol, Korea
Fort Hood, TX
Afghanistan
Haiti

Just to name a few places I have practiced my craft.;)

It seems some folks from this thread have changed careers to "banned"!:laugh:

bigbarada
05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Former Army Sergeant, now unemployed loser.:)

I would love to self-publish comic books, but that's just crazy unless you don't mind losing thousands of dollars every month.

I have a few stories in the works, some superhero based, some fantasy based, some sci-fi based and one cowboy western. :cool:

"cowboy western?" :confused:

Hmmm, for the life of me I cannot remember what that story could have possibly been. Ah well, must not have been a very good idea.

Anyways, a lot has changed in 8 years. I got my Graphic Design degree in 2005 and have been working for UFC fighter Matt Hughes, and his twin brother Mark, since December of that same year. Video editor, photographer, webmaster, farmhand, babysitter, those are just a few of my job titles.

I also work part time at Walmart in the meat department; but I just started that job a couple of months ago.

JimJamBonds
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I currently eat gov't cheese (laid off), when I'm not looking for a job I: run (doing the Green Bay marathon in 6 days) and I started coaching the distance runners at my hs alma matter. And every now Uncle JJB is put into emergency baby sitting duty.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2010, 07:40 PM
CURRENT occupation is substitute teacher.

I am months away from filling that apparent void of qualified teachers in California by getting my teaching credential. :greedy:Now my CURRENT job is that void that is called 'teacher.' :D

JetsAndHeels
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
I coordinate appointments and manage Doctors' schedules at Duke Hospital. I pick up the slack for the doctor when he decides to go out of town or cancel a clinic day. I also answer the phone to register new patients and make appointments. Basically I hate it, but I am leaving in 2 weeks. I am moving and also changing jobs. A local Optometrist in my new area will be needing someone to update his computer database and file insurance, so I am the man for that!! But I wont start this until the beginning of June. My last day here is May 3rd, so I have almost a whole month to toy hunt and see Star Wars over and over and over!!

Wow..talk about back in the day.

I worked at that optometrist's office for about a year or so, then they let me go. After that I got into management with Gamestop.

I am now in my 3rd year of teaching high school social studies. Things have definately improved over the years.

Dar' Argol
05-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm a Bike Tech Manager at my Wal-Mart :) but b/4 that I worked in . . . . imagine . . . TOYS!!!!!! Ilove what I do not b/c I'm an avid Mountain Biker/Body Destroyer during the spring and summer so it keeps my repair skill up to par.

I'm also a part-time Con Artist. Really I am. Trying to convince my wife that I REALLY NEED that new figure even though they have produced 16 differant variants of that one b/4. I am really quite skilled and I am thinking of taking on an apprentice.

COME TO THE SLY SIDE OF THE FORCE. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF BUTT KISSING!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cripes . . . . that post was 8 years ago!!! :eek: My daughter was just 2 then . . . . now she's 9 and I added 2 boys to the family. WOW!

Lets see now I am IT and Lead Label Designer for a chemical company here, been doing that for about 3 years now, still married (I'm convinced my wife is crazy . . . lol) and I have 3 kids now, a daughter 9yrs, a son 2yrs and another son who is turning 1 June 1st. Wow how time flies . . . .

bobafrett
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I work at Wal-Mart, I build bikes. I should say I "assemble" bikes, they come in a box, I throw on the handle bars, front wheel, seat, I adjust the brakes and gears if needed, and tru up the tires. It takes anywhere between 15 minutes, to a half hour to assemble one bike. I like it since I usually stay by my work station, listen to some music, or Cubs games, or Bears games depending on which season it is. When its slow, I do other various tasks

Dar' Argol
05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
BobaFrett your still with Walmart?? More power to you man, I'm glad I left when I did but my old store manager is still trying to get me back every time I see him . . . lol

bobafrett
05-17-2010, 08:50 AM
BobaFrett your still with Walmart?? More power to you man, I'm glad I left when I did but my old store manager is still trying to get me back every time I see him . . . lol

Yes, and I thought I was supposed to work today, ended up going in, only to find that I wasn't scheduled to work. I thought I had Tuesday and Wednesday off, instead I am off today (Monday) and tomorrow, Tuesday. Wal-mart has gone through a lot of changes, including a revamped management system, and how they assign tasks. At least the bikes have been selling.

Dar' Argol
05-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes, and I thought I was supposed to work today, ended up going in, only to find that I wasn't scheduled to work. I thought I had Tuesday and Wednesday off, instead I am off today (Monday) and tomorrow, Tuesday. Wal-mart has gone through a lot of changes, including a revamped management system, and how they assign tasks. At least the bikes have been selling.

Yeah I know about the changes, I keep in touch with some of the people I worked with and the store manager is always trying to get me to come back whenever he sees me. A very few of the changes are good IMO, mostly Walmart has shot themselves in the foot like I predicted a long time ago. Now we'll see if they notice or bleed to death. I've also noticed a major company shift away from the family and more on the bottom line. I know in business you need to focus on your bottom line, but you do not need to trample your employees in the process.

El Chuxter
05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
They still do the huddles and cheers, right? Those were so much fun like twelve years ago.

No, I never worked there. I just made a point to be in the next aisle over and be a total arse by loudly making fun of them. Juvenile, I know.

sith_killer_99
05-19-2010, 12:31 AM
They still do the huddles and cheers, right? Those were so much fun like twelve years ago.

No, I never worked there. I just made a point to be in the next aisle over and be a total arse by loudly making fun of them. Juvenile, I know.

Juvenile acts from a grown man who collects toys, who would have thought.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Juvenile acts from a grown man who collects toys, who would have thought.:DHe can say "it's for my daughter," though.

bobafrett
05-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Yes, but I don't attend the morning meetings, and our cheer went from "Give me a W, Givew mew an A, Give me an L" well you get the point, to just "Wal-Mart".

Our current manager tends to make employees feel bad, by pointing out the negatives, very little positive coming from him.