PDA

View Full Version : Is Christian Bale our new Harrison Ford?

Tycho
07-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Christian Bale will be Bruce Wayne for the foreseeable future, more than likely.

Shortly, or even currently (I don't know) he will be on the set filming as John Connor.

Two legendary franchises: Batman and Terminator. He even has a look to him where I could see him cast as James Bond, as well.

I can't remember too many actors getting two or more huge title roles like that since Harrison Ford: Han Solo (Star Wars) and Indiana Jones.

Musclemen Arnold and Sylvester have niche movies, especially Stallone with Rocky and Rambo, but they are not comparable to such industry giants as Star Wars, Jones, Batman, and Terminator.

So has Christian Bale quietly taken Harrison Ford's mantel?

I'd have nothing against him if he has. Bale's a good actor and I like his movies. American Psycho is a lot of fun for me as well.

Neuroleptic
07-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Personaly, I think Ford still has a few good movies left in him before he gives up his mantle, but I do see your point.

jjreason
07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
You're right Tycho, Arnold has NO BUSINESS being mentioned in the same breath as the Terminator franchise. :p

To me Christian Bale is NO Harrison Ford. He's not going to be James Bond any time soon, especially with the (well deserved) favorable reviews Daniel Craig got last time.

Harrison Ford's fame & association to both of those franchises has everything to do with his association with GLu - talk about a mutually beneficial relationship.

Tycho
07-19-2008, 09:01 AM
What I meant was that Arnold isn't associated with 2 (two) or more mainline franchises. For example, he didn't do Predator 2. Of course he made the Terminator movies happen to begin with.

Now I think Total Recall was to have a sequel. I'm not sure if it did. But Arnold didn't do that either - and it's still not a franchise like SW or Terminator (will be for Bale).

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Bale's a good actor and I like his movies. American Psycho is a lot of fun for me as well.

I loved the part in American Psycho where he's describing how he likes Huey Lewis & the News while dancing across the floor all funky in his rain coat fixing to bludgeon someone.

He's already played a good post apocalyptic role in Reign of Fire. Brave but scared.

jjreason
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I see your point now, Tycho. It always seemed to me back in the 80s and 90s that Arnold's movies were basically sequels of each other - even if the characters were different (eg Commando & Red Dawn to go along with Terminator - it's all Arnold being Arnold). The 2 Conan movies were a bit of a departure, and it would still be nice to see "Old Arnie" cap those off with Conan the King, featuring a much older Barbarian. :thumbsup:

Tycho
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
He's already played a good post apocalyptic role in Reign of Fire. Brave but scared.

That perfectly describes John Connor. He became a warrior out of necessity. For all Sarah's training him, he didn't want to believe Judgement Day was really going to happen. Then when it did, in T3, he took command very reluctantly. "Montana Civil Defense" called for help and asked who was in charge. Seizing his destiny and yeilding to "fate" (a theme in Terminator), John answers to 'who's in charge?' with "I am." That was a great scene.

I know people didn't like the ending of T3, but it had to end that way. I think it was a great movie. No, it wasn't as good as T2, probably the best film of them all. The original Terminator would have been awesome with today's modern special effects, but it stands as a classic and testament to what James Cammeron and Stan Winston can do!

I loved the part in American Psycho where he's describing how he likes Huey Lewis & the News while dancing across the floor all funky in his rain coat fixing to bludgeon someone.

That's a classic motif for immitation if people get the reference. He also went into Whitney Houston, and I forget which others. He sounds almost like he's making a forums post. Hehe. But I think it's a less-known movie and the reference would escape a lot of people. I did like how Willem DaFoe rehashes the Huey Lewis discussion when he comes to interview "Patrick Bateman" at his law office. Then Bateman even denies liking Huey Lewis and says he "sounds too black." Hehe.

Yeah, Christian Bale's characters have a lot of character. I know he'll lose the spotlight with Batman, because of Heath Ledger's death, but I've been pleased that reviews have not overlooked Michael Kane, Gary Oldman, and Morgan Freeman. Along with Heath Ledger, they put a lot of talent into Batman. It's not a superhero movie romp right off the cookie cutter. They've taken Batman and done something else - something better. I might be seeing it today instead of waiting until tomorrow. Hope so. I can't wait. I know my expectations are high, but everything I heard so far justifies that. Most people complain about movies for whatever reason (Indiana Jones 4 - which kind of deserved the complaints). But Batman isn't harvesting them and people are saying The Dark Night is even better than " 'Begins."

That makes Batman 3 a very tough film to do in order to continue the franchise. But whenever they bring back Liam Neeson as Rhas Guhl and his army of Ninjas for the next round of the war for Gotham, I think it will top any superhero movie ever done, including even the other Batman films.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't really care for Bale as Batman, he's not bad, but he just seems kinda...bland.

I would have rather seen him as the new Superman, he's much more suited to the character I think.

In any event, I do not see him as the new Harrison Ford.

Ford MADE Indiana Jones, not the other way around. He also made the character of Han Solo. IMHO

Bale plays parts, he plays them well, but he's still just playing them. Ford has a way of taking parts and making them his own. He's a much different type of actor.

Granted Bale has had some good shots at top movies/franchises, but IMO, it takes more than that to be a Harrison Ford.

El Chuxter
07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Johnny Depp is a better actor. Sorry.

Tycho
07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
It's very true that Johnny Depp really ACTS and creates his characters. He's pretty amazing. He has Pirates of the Caribbean, but what else (as a major franchise)?

RUSHBOY
07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I think Shia LeBeouf is new Harrison Ford !! Plus he is in 2 big movies Transformers and Indiana Jones . Also he has friends in high places and by that I mean Steven Speilberg !! :whip:

sith_killer_99
07-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Depp was in the Elm St. franchise, though he only did 2 of the films (A Nightmare on Elm St. and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare).

Depp also has more awards and Oscar nominations than Ford. He has made fewer films, by about 10-15, but he's 20 years younger. Depp also had a big hit television series with 21 Jumpstreet.

In terms of overall talent, I would put them on equal footing.

figrin bran
07-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't really care for Bale as Batman, he's not bad, but he just seems kinda...bland.

I would have rather seen him as the new Superman, he's much more suited to the character I think.

In any event, I do not see him as the new Harrison Ford.

Ford MADE Indiana Jones, not the other way around. He also made the character of Han Solo. IMHO

Bale plays parts, he plays them well, but he's still just playing them. Ford has a way of taking parts and making them his own. He's a much different type of actor.

Granted Bale has had some good shots at top movies/franchises, but IMO, it takes more than that to be a Harrison Ford.

I too feel that even after 2 films, Bale isn't completely right for Batman or Bruce Wayne. That growling voice he does for Bats doesn't sound right to me.

I've been racking my mind to come up with a DC hero that he'd be better suited for - I came up with one and it's Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern who is rather bland in his comic incarnation.

El Chuxter
07-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Shia LeBouf is the new Keanu Reaves. By that, I mean he's a talentless flash-in-the-pan actor with (apparently) good looks who gets all sorts of big roles despite his utter lack of talent. With luck, he, too, will be forgotten in a couple of years.

Edit: Figgy, you posted while I was, and I totally disagree. As much as I love Kevin Conroy for the "cartoon" version, Bale's growl is perfect for what a "real world" Batman should sound like. When the whole point is to scare the bejeezus out of bad guys, yelling and using short sentences is probably more effective, even if Conroy's take is better for television.

figrin bran
07-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Shia LeBouf is the new Keanu Reaves. By that, I mean he's a talentless flash-in-the-pan actor with (apparently) good looks who gets all sorts of big roles despite his utter lack of talent. With luck, he, too, will be forgotten in a couple of years.

Edit: Figgy, you posted while I was, and I totally disagree. As much as I love Kevin Conroy for the "cartoon" version, Bale's growl is perfect for what a "real world" Batman should sound like. When the whole point is to scare the bejeezus out of bad guys, yelling and using short sentences is probably more effective, even if Conroy's take is better for television.

Point taken Chux. The problem might be that I hear Conroy in my head too much. And now that I think about it, Conroy's take on old Bruce for Bats Beyond is along the lines of Bale.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I know that L. DiCaprio wants to be the next. Perhaps there won't be a next Mr. Ford, since he's believable in any role he takes, often "making" the character his own, is a good quality actor who can also bring in box office dollars, while appealing to men and women fairly equally.

JetsAndHeels
07-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Disagree. Brandon Routh has the looks of Superman and the demeanor. I am very glad he got the role.

2-1B
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
While I'm not a fan of Bale's growling as Batman, I did think he was good in Harsh Times.

Ever see that one, Tycho?

jjreason
07-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Harrison Ford also had another blurb into franchise-dom, he was Jack Ryan in 2 Tom Clancy movies (Clear & Present Danger and Patriot Games). Why they went away from him for Sum of All Fears is beyond me (but it had to be money).

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Here's from imdb.com...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) .... Indiana Jones
Firewall (2006) .... Jack Stanfield
Water to Wine (2004) (V) .... Jethro the Bus Driver
Hollywood Homicide (2003) .... Sgt. Joe Gavilan
K-19: The Widowmaker (2002) .... Alexei Vostrikov
What Lies Beneath (2000) .... Dr. Norman Spencer
Random Hearts (1999) .... Sergeant William 'Dutch' Van Den Broeck
Six Days Seven Nights (1998) .... Quinn Harris
Air Force One (1997) .... President James Marshall
The Devil's Own (1997) .... Tom O'Meara
Sabrina (1995) .... Linus Larrabee
Clear and Present Danger (1994) .... Jack Ryan
The Fugitive (1993) .... Dr. Richard David Kimble
Patriot Games (1992) .... Jack Ryan
Regarding Henry (1991) .... Henry Turner
Presumed Innocent (1990) .... Rusty Sabich
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) .... Indiana Jones
Working Girl (1988) .... Jack Trainer
Frantic (1988) .... Dr. Richard Walker
The Mosquito Coast (1986) .... Allie Fox
Witness (1985) .... Det. Capt. John Book
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) .... Indiana Jones
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) .... Han Solo
Blade Runner (1982) .... Rick Deckard
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) .... Indiana Jones
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) .... Han Solo
More American Graffiti (1979) (uncredited) .... Officer Bob Falfa
The Frisco Kid (1979) .... Tommy
Hanover Street (1979) .... David Halloran
Apocalypse Now (1979) .... Colonel Lucas
Force 10 from Navarone (1978) .... Lieutenant Colonel Mike Barnsby
Heroes (1977) .... Ken Boyd
Star Wars (1977) .... Han Solo
The Conversation (1974) .... Martin Stett
American Graffiti (1973) .... Bob Falfa
Getting Straight (1970) .... Jake
Zabriskie Point (1970) (uncredited) .... Airport Worker
Journey to Shiloh (1968) .... Willie Bill Bearden
A Time for Killing (1967) (as Harrison J. Ford) .... Lt Shaffer
Luv (1967) (uncredited) .... Hippy
Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966) (uncredited) .... Bellhop

The Dark Knight (2008) .... Bruce Wayne / Batman
I'm Not There. (2007) .... Jack/Pastor John
3:10 to Yuma (2007) .... Dan Evans
The Prestige (2006) .... Alfred Borden
Rescue Dawn (2006) .... Dieter
The New World (2005) .... John Rolfe
Batman Begins (2005) .... Bruce Wayne / Batman
Harsh Times (2005) .... Jim Luther Davis
Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004) (voice: English version) .... Howl
Maquinista, El (2004) .... Trevor Reznik ... aka The Machinist
Equilibrium (2002) .... John Preston
Reign of Fire (2002) .... Quinn Abercromby
Laurel Canyon (2002) .... Sam
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001) .... Mandras
Shaft (2000) .... Walter Wade, Jr.
American Psycho (2000) .... Patrick Bateman
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999) .... Demetrius
All the Little Animals (1998) .... Bobby Platt
Velvet Goldmine (1998) .... Arthur Stuart
Metroland (1997) .... Chris
The Secret Agent (1996) .... Stevie
The Portrait of a Lady (1996) .... Edward Rosier
Pocahontas (1995) (voice) .... Thomas
Little Women (1994) .... Laurie
Prince of Jutland (1994) .... Amled
Swing Kids (1993) .... Thomas Berger
Newsies (1992) .... Jack 'Cowboy' Kelly
Henry V (1989) .... Boy
Empire of the Sun (1987) .... Jim 'Jamie' Graham
Mio min Mio (1987) .... Jum-Jum/Benke Compare the two, if you dare! :Skeletorlaugh:

El Chuxter
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Christian Bale was Howl? HOLY CARP!

(The film in English is called Howl's Moving Castle, by the way, which IMDB omitted. Curious, since the film was nominated for an Oscar under its English name. Great film, but, then again, everything by Miyazaki is a great film.)

Tycho
07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Bal-Cam Jos, there's still no comparison: Harrison Ford is king of his game!

Christian Bale is just the currently rising actor who I think might come the closest to be comparable - when he's been out there for enough time.

I forgot about 3:10 to Yuma for a while. That was an excellent movie. But Russel Crowe stole the show from Bale and was just outstanding all the way. I really enjoyed "Yuma."

And of course I loved the Tom Clancy movies with Ford as Jack Ryan. BladeRunner was amazing. The Fugitive was something, too (but Tommy Lee Jones' performance might have surpassed Ford's - though it's difficult to tell. They were such different kinds of characters. That was a great movie, too.)

Blue2th
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
It's not mentioned in that previous long list, but anybody ever seen Christian Bale in "The Engineer"?
I guess he starved himself to skinny way down for the role.
I heard it was good, but I don't know. You don't hear much about it.

El Chuxter
07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
What exactly are you basing this on, Tycho? Obviously not just talent, or guys like DiCaprio* or Adrian Brody would be in the equation. And not on talent and star power, because I think Johnny Depp dwarfs Bale or Ford in those categories.

*--Yeah, I hate to admit it, but if you ignore Titanic, the man really is a great actor.

Jargo
07-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't rate any of these people you've mentioned as actors. not in the traditional sense. photogenic maybe, able to deliver a line the way the director wants it done, good at hitting their markers possibly but none of them are great actors. I'd say the greatest talent on these people's movies is the cinematographers.

JEDIpartner
07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
While I think Christian Bale is very handsome, his teeth scare me!!! :eek: He opens his mouth and it's like... "Auuuuugggghhhh!!! GIANT TEETH!!! TOO WIDE FOR HIS MOUTH!!!!"

Blue2th
07-22-2008, 08:39 PM
It's not mentioned in that previous long list, but anybody ever seen Christian Bale in "The Engineer"?
I guess he starved himself to skinny way down for the role.
I heard it was good, but I don't know. You don't hear much about it.

It's not on the list either, but I meant "The Machinist"

I talked to somebody who said it was awesome, but that's just one opinion.

bobafrett
07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
They said on the radio today the Bale was arrested for allegedly assualting his mother and sister in his lLondon hotel room before the London premiere of Dark Knight. Anybody else read or hear anything about that?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
The Dark Knight (2008) .... Bruce Wayne / Batman
I'm Not There. (2007) .... Jack/Pastor John
3:10 to Yuma (2007) .... Dan Evans
The Prestige (2006) .... Alfred Borden
Rescue Dawn (2006) .... Dieter
The New World (2005) .... John Rolfe
Batman Begins (2005) .... Bruce Wayne / Batman
Harsh Times (2005) .... Jim Luther Davis
Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004) (voice: English version) .... Howl
Maquinista, El (2004) .... Trevor Reznik ... aka The Machinist
... Not that I've seen it, but it was on the list.

Anybody else read or hear anything about that?I saw it on the news, but heard no details. Sad story, regardless of it being true or not. :(

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Not that I've seen it, but it was on the list.

:(

Oh, guess I didn't know my Spanish or read the "aka" part. My bad.

Tycho
07-24-2008, 02:57 AM
They said on the radio today the Bale was arrested for allegedly assualting his mother and sister in his lLondon hotel room before the London premiere of Dark Knight. Anybody else read or hear anything about that?

Yeah. I read the same thing but got no more details than you did.

I'm somewhat skeptical of whether it's true myself (or just exaggerated by his mom or sister, or the media).

bobafrett
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I just read this.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080724/121691112000.html

sith_killer_99
08-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't rate any of these people you've mentioned as actors. not in the traditional sense. photogenic maybe, able to deliver a line the way the director wants it done, good at hitting their markers possibly but none of them are great actors. I'd say the greatest talent on these people's movies is the cinematographers.

I disagree, Johnny Depp is a tremendously talented actor.:Pirate: