PDA

View Full Version : Goldmember Brouhaha

Rollo Tomassi
02-16-2002, 02:50 AM
Anybody following this? MGM (they who own the James Bond franchise) is after NewLine (they of the Austin Powers franchise) for using the name Goldmember. They tried the same thing back when Spy who Shagged Me came out and lost, but this time they won out, and now NewLine has recalled all the old trailers and posters. MGM actually offered NewLine a deal if they would move John Q. away from their Hart's War opening day, they'd leave 'em alone. NewLine thought they still had a chance of winning, so they told MGM to GONK! off. Then MGM won the suit and NewLine said they'd reconsider the JohnQ./Hart's War thing, but MGM said "too late!' the funny thing is, Crossroads is gonna kick both film's butts at the Box Office so NewLine loses twice.

Anyway, NewLine now has to redo a bunch of the movie because it liberally lifted from the plot of Goldfinger, so it could be up to six onths before it hits theatres under a new name. NewLine said if we didn't send back all of our promotional material, we don't get the print of the film. HA hAH AHA HAAHAHahahahAaAHAhAah!!!

Silly NewLine.:D

Fulit
02-16-2002, 10:00 AM
I have to say GOOD. Maybe they'll leave out that stupid part I saw in the trailers with the Mini-Austin Powers and all the other midgets dancing, and the little Austin Powers Roadster. God that was stupid. ENOUGH WITH THE LITTLE PEOPLE ALREADY. THE JOKE IS OVER.

Starfig873
02-16-2002, 10:17 AM
No, the joke is NEVER over. The wee people make this world go round! And I shall have a wee people movie, by the gods!

As for the whole Goldmember thing, that really sucks. Why can't movie companies just get along? :rolleyes:

AreTwo-DeeTwo
02-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Now Lucas can go after the makers of SpaceBalls.

Lord Tenebrous
02-16-2002, 03:42 PM
You can't copyright the title of a film or a book, so I find this argument fairly pointless.

That said, what is up with phallus obsession this year? Check out the poster for "40 days and 40 nights", and you'll see what I mean. :dead:

derek
02-16-2002, 10:12 PM
i thought parody was protected from copyright infringement. if this goes over, then wierd al is out of business.

rollo,
you mentioned "crossroads" and i was thinking, what? are they re-releasing that 80's ralph machio movie where he out duels the devils guitarist, steve vai?

you really think britney's film is gonna make money?:confused:
i don't care for her, but i liked her in that 1950's style outfit in the pepsi commercial.:evil:

stillakid
02-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by derek
you really think britney's film is gonna make money?:confused:

It was designed from the start to make money. The production budget was somewhere in the 5 - 10 mil range. The built-in audience for Britney would have to simultaneously keel over and die before the opening weekend for it to not make a dime. Beyond that, it's actually getting good reviews as a decent film. It'll do just fine in the theaters and be nothing but profit once it hits DVD.

derek
02-16-2002, 10:30 PM
stillakid,

didn't n sync have a movie out that bombed? and then there is miriah carrey and whitney houston and jewel who all tried acting and have not done so well box office wise.

LTBasker
02-16-2002, 10:53 PM
If Crossroads does better than John-Q or Hart's War, I swear, Armaggedon shall be upon us.

Bah, "Goldmember" doesn't look that good, and that also has Britney Spears in it.

stillakid
02-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
If Crossroads does better than John-Q or Hart's War, I swear, Armaggedon shall be upon us.

There's an awesome letter-to-the-editor in today's (2/16/02) LA Times Calendar section regarding John Q and it's hypocrisy. If you get the Times, check it out.

GNT
02-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Why not change it from Austin Powers:Goldmember to Austin Powers:Gold card member or something around that :p

SithDroid
02-17-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by StarFig873

Why can't movie companies just get along?

Yeah, I agree. Like anyone who goes to see these movies even cares what studio made the film. The only people who really care are the studios themselves. I try to follow which studio owns which movies, but everyday people don't really know this sort of thing. Parodies are meant to be enjoyed by everyone. MGM should consider it flattery. Also the name should not have been changed. If StarBallz, Spaceballs, Scary Movie 1 & 2, Not Another Teen Movie, National Lampoons Loaded Weapon 1, and Hot Shots 1 & 2 can get away with this stuff, then why not Austin Powers. Stupid if you ask me. Stop being big babies and just relax.

derek
02-17-2002, 10:37 AM
stillakid,

for those of us outside of cali, fill us in on the john Q article you referred us to.

stillakid
02-17-2002, 12:03 PM
stillakid,

for those of us outside of cali, fill us in on the john Q article you referred us to.

I'm including a copy of the article in a new thread as it is far and away from the Goldmember Brouhaha...

Look for it under "John Q"

2-1B
08-31-2002, 04:38 AM
stillakid,

didn't n sync have a movie out that bombed? and then there is miriah carrey and whitney houston and jewel who all tried acting and have not done so well box office wise.

Yes,
Lance Bass' "On the Line" is now available to own on DVD. :)
Joey Fatone makes a brief appearance as well (or so I'm told :D ), but the other Syncsters are nowhere to be found. :)

rynobot
08-31-2002, 04:41 AM
screw them panzies. I ahope Lance's head explodes in space. :)