PDA

View Full Version : I'm "famous" - Is your name in print? Did you have your picture in the news?

JEDIpartner
07-22-2008, 09:32 AM
It's not the first time this has happened for me BUT I thought it would make for an interesting topic! I've had main page shout outs here at SSG in the past and I've been in international papers with my band but I decided to screenshot the latest and start a thread for us. I mean, we have LOADS of people here on SSG from all over the place. I'm sure that some of us have made the local news (for good... I hope) or had some random shout out on various websites... that weren't in forums, of course!

Anyhow, I was perusing the photos from Celebration Japan at that :Pirate: site "over there" and saw their crew by some vending machines. I wrote Dan Curto and told him to try some Mitsuya Cider as it was my fave soft drink in Japan and it's hard to come by in the States. He sent me an e-mail saying he'd look for it and, Lo and Behold... a couple days later...

TeeEye7
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
When I was in 6th grade, the local newspaper took a photo of my class with our teacher as we were attending a city council meeting as a field trip. My name was one of the few published as I was one of the students closest to the camera.

I tend to show up frequently on video for the news because of my job (death and destruction always heads the news), but, thankfully remain anonymous name-wise, although I am recognized in public as "that guy" on TV.

I will never be as famous as BCJ, though. I will never star in a movie with Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler as did he.

Kidhuman
07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been on the local new in NYC 3 times. Once when I was a kid and twice walking to my job for the morning news show asking me the "Question of the day"

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I will never be as famous as BCJ, though. I will never star in a movie with Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler as did he.But JP's thread here is about having one's "name in print." That was an uncredited extra role. :rolleyes:

There's a humor columnist in our local newspaper, and I've written in with comments and observations over the years (yeah, I've clipped those articles... I'd guess that I've been in about 15 times or so).

In the same newspaper, but under a different name, I was a paperboy (and that was an awesome video game, BTW :D ) for them. Got selected as one of the their five Carriers of the Year (I was the youngest at 11 or 12), then five years later, since I was still a carrier they gave me an Excellent Service award. I was pictured both times, and my choice of fashion was bad in both. ;)

While on sports teams in high school, I (rarely) made it in the sports section with box scores.

A writer did a brief local interest story on me in my early 20s as a coach/commissioner of a youth basketball league.

I did some local theater acting the last couple years, and so the program had me in it.

So no, I've not been in print at all... :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh... it mostly certainly DOES count-- but only if you can be seen in the scene. My friend Liam, from Australia, and his then boyfriend are prominently seen in Kylie Minogue's Showgirl: Homecoming DVD before she sings "Love at First Sight". Colm gave her a t-shirt and she conversed with them from the stage. VERY cool. :)

jjreason
07-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I was on the front page of the paper pointing something at someone one time - my mother was NOT impressed. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh... it mostly certainly DOES count-- but only if you can be seen in the scene. VERY cool. :)I have about 4 seconds of screen time; I'm visible (backlit) at the upper right. I say that I am a "star of stage and screen." :D

Oh, when the SW:SE films came out in '97, my friend and I were first in line for a 5pm show (I think that was the time) and were interviewed for a different newspaper (two in one area? wow... :p ) and made it on the first page of the local news section. No pictures, but we were (mis)quoted and named.

I've written in to a few school/college newspapers, one letter caused a PC-reaction for the next three editions at the JC that I attended.

For The Big Read (a national pick-a-book-and-everybody-reads-it-in-your-area) program last year, I dressed as Atticus Finch (can you guess the book they chose?) and was made into a "Read" library poster.

My writings have been included in a few anthologies, but only published for a few people. I have published some writing by my co-workers the last four years in anthology format. I also used to write the weekly bulletin (later just contributed every so often) for the fantasy football league I was in for a couple years. One I wrote just after 9/11/01 using football team names was also re-printed in a church bulletin.

I came in second in a chalk drawing contest MANY years past (pre-paperboy days :eek: ), and a picture (not of my drawing, but of me waiting in line to pay the entrance fee) was in that same local paper.

mtriv73
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I was on the national news back in my Boy Scout Days. I was in the crowd at the National Jamboree when President H.W. Bush came to talk to us.

I was on MTV for a Spring Break special from Daytona Beach (about 15 years ago)

I have 12 papers published now in journals the average person not only doesn't read, but can't even pronounce correctly.

I've gotten a lot of local press for community service work and even some national mentions for some of the bigger awards I've received.

My 11 month old son is getting an early start with publicity. He made the newsletter where I work for participating in the MS walk earlier this year. Technically, I guess it was an MS stroll for him but either way his picture was cute.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I had my pic and name in the local paper for sports in high school.

JEDIpartner
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I was on the front page of the paper pointing something at someone one time - my mother was NOT impressed. lol

DO TELL!!!! :laugh:

bobafrett
07-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I've been in the paper or magazine numerous times. The first one I can remember you will see a picture from a newspaper I was in, way back in 1982. I had to beg the photographer to run the photo, and when she did, she identified me as doing a "Wood Carving" technique. I was working with clay.

The second picture was the one I submitted to Star Wars insdider. I went to 70's night at Wrigley Field dressed in a Tusken outfit. They ran the picture along with my name, but I can't remember what issue.

I was also in Bantha Tracks, the old school issues that you would get in the mail, not the way they are now. Back in 81 or 82 I won tenth place in a creativity contest, got a nice Obi Wan mug, and got my name put in the issue.

I was also in the paper in the police reports when I was working as a sales clerk at a local 7-Eleven, and turned down a sale for alcohol to a minor who stated he didn't have ID, but forgot to check when he bought cigarettes, and of course he was 17 and working with the police.

I've also neen in Bantha Tracks on several occasions, I think three consecutive print issues, and several online, but I can't confirm this as I didn't pay for the extra stuff with the fan club.

Blue2th
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
You are in a band JP?
Do tell...
I've had my pic in the local music scene newspaper with a couple of local bands I've been in. Those were just adds for bars though.

I was in the newspaper once when we lived in West Palm Beach Florida.
They took a picture of my Dad's outrigger sailing canoe with my brothers and I in it, that he hand built himself copied from the natives we used to live with on Canton Island, South Pacific. Now known as Abariringa Kiribati.

They had never seen anything like it, and it was the only one in the state at the time. We used to sail it up and down the Intercoastal Waterway.
Then a pic of the whole family with me in there, describing our adventures as a family and how we ended up in Florida.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
DO TELL!!!! :laugh:I'd guess he was #1? :pleased:

Forgot about the show-a-copy-of-our-newspaper travel photos. Our local paper used to print pictures of people who brought a copy on their vacations, and posed in front of something (I was in Columbus, OH in front of the neon sign of their local paper) there.

And, I was world famous 13 times on a space opera fan website that had pictures asking for humorous/creative captions... :behold: :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd guess he was #1? :pleased:

:eek:

You are in a band JP?
Do tell...

Was in a few bands (comprised of a revolving door of sidemen but the same core players) from 1986 to 1997. We toured all over the map... Europe, Mexico, North America-- Japan, if you count my solo gigs. Various arts councils, media corporations and whatnot used to pay for our tours, which generally lasted 2 months or so. The only thing I had to do was show up to the gigs, TV/radio interviews and TV performances. It was great fun. :)

Here are a couple pics from back in the day...

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
:eek:

Was in a few bands (comprised of a revolving door of sidemen but the same core players) from 1986 to 1997. We toured all over the map... Europe, Mexico, North America-- Japan, if you count my solo gigs. Various arts councils, media corporations and whatnot used to pay for our tours, which generally lasted 2 months or so. The only thing I had to do was show up to the gigs, TV/radio interviews and TV performances. It was great fun. :)

Here are a couple pics from back in the day...
Wow! That is just totally cool! From the pic, I'm guessing you were/are a singer?
How many people can say they've done that huh?
I think this tops the RS thing :yes:

I'm one of those sidemen guys lol
Even though I've been to many places, I've never got to travel (far) as a result of my music. Something I've always wanted to do.
Heck even a cruise ship gig would be fine by me. Surf twang anybody?
I've met musicians who did USO tours, Dept. of Defense, etc. and have traveled all over the Pacific Rim, and Europe.
It would be fun to pop in at my Aunt's place in Sydney, and say "I'm just in town doing a gig, thought I would stop by"

JEDIpartner
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow! That is just totally cool! From the pic, I'm guessing you were/are a singer?
How many people can say they've done that huh?
I think this tops the RS thing :yes:

I'm one of those sidemen guys lol
Even though I've been to many places, I've never got to travel (far) as a result of my music. Something I've always wanted to do.
Heck even a cruise ship gig would be fine by me. Surf twang anybody?
I've met musicians who did USO tours, Dept. of Defense, etc. and have traveled all over the Pacific Rim, and Europe.
It would be fun to pop in at my Aunt's place in Sydney, and say "I'm just in town doing a gig, thought I would stop by"

I started out as keyboards and b.vox with occasional lead. We shifted the sound and focus to my interests around 1990 and I became the lead with occasional keyboard duties. It was great fun. I never wanted to have crazy stardom or anything and I achieved what I set out to do and I'm happy. :)

So, I'm guessing guitar with you, eh? Perhaps you and I could hook up and do some Chris Isaak meets surf guitar and take our show to Australia! My friend Liam lives in Brisbane! :thumbsup:

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I started out as keyboards and b.vox with occasional lead. We shifted the sound and focus to my interests around 1990 and I became the lead with occasional keyboard duties. It was great fun. I never wanted to have crazy stardom or anything and I achieved what I set out to do and I'm happy. :)

So, I'm guessing guitar with you, eh? Perhaps you and I could hook up and do some Chris Isaak meets surf guitar and take our show to Australia! My friend Liam lives in Brisbane! :thumbsup:

Yes guitar. The surfy twang is my thing, though with modern sensibilities.

I take it you write your own lyrics, and music as a keyboardist?

stillakid
07-24-2008, 02:23 AM
I was in the city paper sometime in college when I was interviewed because I had an "Impeach Bush" (The first one) poster in my dorm window.

My book was put on shelves in June.

My name has been on the end credits for a couple of movies and for some DVD extras and HBO First Looks and some other things.

My name and my son's were in the Toledo Blade a couple of weeks ago because we were digging through dirt looking for fossils.

There may be more from when I was younger but I can't remember.

:)

bigbarada
07-24-2008, 03:07 AM
In a recent issue of Ultimate Grappling Magazine I was mentioned by name as Matt's webmaster in a feature that they were doing on Matt's new gym.

I know I've been mentioned in a few newspapers throughout my life (especially one time in high school, accompanied by a horrid photo). I think I was also mentioned in my old college's alumni magazine.

TheCivilCollector
07-24-2008, 05:35 AM
For some reason, I've gotten a lot of coverage over the years:

I was in the local paper a bunch when I was a kid because of swimming/boy scouts achievements.

I was in a commercial when I was a kid for the state fair, which sucked because tons of people used to come up and say, "hey, I saw you in that commercial where you're riding the swing!!!" I had this really stupid look on my face because the guy directing the commercial would shout, "LOOK HAPPIER, NO- HAPPIER, MORE HAPPY!!!"

I worked at a TV station in my early 20s in the promotion department and I was friends with the Entertainment reporter so we used to do little stuff all the time.

The two best were when they had me on as the "expert" when they released the Ep 1 toys. If you lived in Sacramento and saw that on Good Day Sacramento on Channel 31 the morning after the midnight madness, that nimrod was me.

The other Star Wars one- a friend at a different station interviewed me in the midnight line for the Episode 1 movie.

Then, when Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban came out, I got interviewed in the line for that.

Reporters always gravitate towards me because I'm not shy and say funny stuff. And because I'm an idiot around cameras.

CaptainSolo1138
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I knew weed was cool up there, but I had no idea you could whip it out for the sake of the local paper.

The only time I can remember my name being in print was in the newspaper for my baseball games and tennis matches.

JEDIpartner
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes guitar. The surfy twang is my thing, though with modern sensibilities.

I take it you write your own lyrics, and music as a keyboardist?

I sure did... and still do!

Blue2th
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
So are you still a working musician JP? When you goin' on tour?

Again I sure would like to do that. Though the prospect of getting it all together is daunting.

Currently I'm in a cover band that does the retro thing with Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. with some modern covers thrown in also. The singer and I want to break up the show into themes of a 60's set, 70's set, 80's set then 90's modern. Keep it danceble for the most part, with costumes for each era.
Though if it was up to me it would be nothing but 80's New Wave as I love all that music, and it would be a certain money maker.

We are auditioning drummers because we have been doing all these shows with a drum machine ("Ringo in a box" we call him) though every part of each song is meticulously programed by our Bassist who works for Intel.
Anyways some clubs won't hire us because of the drum machine, which I don't blame them. This town is so full of what I call the "White boy blues snob club" (white guys trying to be the next big blues sensation :rolleyes:)

We are doing quite well with every show we do, because we are outside the normal lazy musician types around here.
Because we have been playing pro like this for 2 years with a drum track to get out there initially, we now have attracted a drummer who's very good and can play better than or as good as a drum machine, and also play along with a click track if needed.

Anyways that's what I've been doing lately.

sith_killer_99
08-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I have had numerous articles printed in the local paper back home.

I am also currently working on a podcast series and will be submitting it through iTunes. It is political in nature.;)

Kidhuman
08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
My name was also mentioned on a local news station back in NYC when the company I worked for got sued. They sowed the affidavit on the TV with a few names showing, and they were supposed to be blacked out, so my company sued the news station

JEDIpartner
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
My name was also mentioned on a local news station back in NYC when the company I worked for got sued. They sowed the affidavit on the TV with a few names showing, and they were supposed to be blacked out, so my company sued the news station

LOL!!! That's the best!!!!

So are you still a working musician JP? When you goin' on tour?

I'm done with that part of my life, actually. I may just start to write again and toss things out onto the 'net for free. The last things I did, the money gigs... were a combination of originals and acoustic re-workings of pop songs that I liked. I pretty much covered everything from the 1940s through electro pop tunes of today.

As for you, it sounds like you are doing great things! If you're not having fun, then it's time to get out, which is what I did. Although, it sounds like you are having a good time. Keep at it!!
:thumbsup:

I am also currently working on a podcast series and will be submitting it through iTunes. It is political in nature.;)

Imagine that!!! LOL

stillakid
08-06-2008, 01:13 AM
While I was in Ohio ( my last ban-able topic evidently), I was out "fossil hunting" near a quarry when the local Toledo paper interviewed us. My and my son's name ended up in the article, but as usual, spelled wrong.

Other than that, my book that's on shelves right now has my name on it! :D

TeeEye7
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
My and my son's name ended up in the article, but as usual, spelled wrong.

Isn't fun having one of "those" names? Like you, no matter if I spell it s-l-o-w-l-y for the person, they still manage to get it wrong. :rolleyes:

I must admit, though, your last name is a bit more challenging than mine! :yes:

mabudonicus
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I have been in the paper maybe 6-7 times, all when I was younger- pic of me at age 2 or so sitting in the lake with a little hat on, pic of me with a giant snowman rabbit, and a few mentions from various competitions I was in, including one at some problem-solving competition which also noted that I was playing a character called "intellectual guy"

:beard: Iso&Baws

Oyes

JEDIpartner
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I wanna see that pic of you when you were two!! :love:

mabudonicus
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
HA strangely enough it's quite possible, I'd just have to find it and get it scanned, I know it's still in my posession :D

I'll see what I can do Bro!
:beard: Iso&Baws

If you dig up "childhod toy photos" there's a pic of me at age 8 or 9 with Vaders TIE on x-mas morning smilin like a killer

El Chuxter
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I was erroneously listed in the obituary one day. Long story. Not to get into too much detail, but it involved me jumping out of the back door of the bus.

stillakid
08-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Isn't fun having one of "those" names? Like you, no matter if I spell it s-l-o-w-l-y for the person, they still manage to get it wrong. :rolleyes:

I must admit, though, your last name is a bit more challenging than mine! :yes:

The stupid part is that while they spelled my last name wrong, they spelled my brother's name right. In the same article. :rolleyes: That's today's journalism. I don't really blame anyone. I clearly give people too much credit as evidenced as why I was banned twice recently for things that otherwise intelligent people would've understood. :ermm: There oughta be a test to allow humans to continue on into adulthood. Ya know, sorta like Logan's Run or something. :)

plasticfetish
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
...as evidenced as why I was banned twice recently...:cry: :cry: :cry:

TeeEye7
08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
The stupid part is that while they spelled my last name wrong, they spelled my brother's name right. In the same article. :rolleyes: That's today's journalism.

Attention to detail.....it's on its way to extinction. My wife's degree is in journalism and she worked as a newsie for several years before getting out of the business. News is no longer interested in "getting it right", it's become the nightly gossip report. Who cares if the details (such as spelling) or facts are correct? My wife was one of the last who did care, but being out-numbered, she got fed up and moved on. She's now a teacher, and boy! Are her students taught about paying attention to detail!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
She's now a teacher, and boy! Are her students taught about paying attention to detail!I hear you. When I have my students text me their research projects, there better be very few text-speak abbreviations. Speeches in class should have no more than eight times pulling up sagging pants or gum popping. And essay papers can only be folded in their pockets twice.

What?

bobafrett
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I was erroneously listed in the obituary one day. Long story. Not to get into too much detail, but it involved me jumping out of the back door of the bus.

Good Stuff! I take it the bus was moving then?

bobafrett
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, after going through my collection of Star Wars insider magazines, I found I'm in the following.....

Issue 71, Bantha tracks section, page 9 I'm the Tusken standing next to Mary Franklin top right on the page

Issue 72, page 85, I'm the third Stormtrooper making the letter "C" for the "Pillage People"

Issue 73, Bantha Tracks section, page 5 I'm the Tusken Raider at Wrigley field under "Road Trips", I think my name is mentioned there.

Then of course I will be in issue 109 along with Josh for some strange reason I believe it hits newstands around April 28th.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow, you had quite the streak going there! I'll be sure and look at those next time I'm home.

bobafrett
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
They are tiny pictures so they may cause eye strain. LOL.

UKWildcat
04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I immediately thought of Navin R. Johnson when I saw this thread title.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I immediately thought of Navin R. Johnson when I saw this thread title.
I'm now disappointed that I did not. :cry:

DarthQuack
04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Jeez, 3 issues in a row! Niiiiice :lipsrsealed:

mark2d2
04-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm published. I did the English Adaptations of a fair number of Manga books for Tokyo Pop. I got third billing, behind the original author and artist. Titles I am responsible for would be Magical Miracle, Beyond The Beyond, Queens, and Hotel Africa. Do a goggle search on Mark Ilvedson and they usually pop right up along with my minor credits for various low end film and tv projects...

Tycho
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Then of course I will be in issue 109 along with Josh for some strange reason I believe it hits newstands around April 28th.

Yup. Pick up your copy of the SW Insider with me and Barry in the Bantha Tracks section on Tuesday (though some have found the issue early - it's the special 100 page, 10th Anniversary of TPM issue. Darth Maul's on the cover I think).

2-1B
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
JimJam and I may have blown a shot at being in a possible upcoming Spinal Tap live DVD...we were at the tour finale and they filmed it for possible release, including an audience Q&A section. Neither of us volunteered a question. :(

If they do release a DVD and don't cut the section (I wouldn't blame them if they did because the Qs were rather dumb), you'll still see us in the crowd but we will not have speaking roles. :D