PDA

View Full Version : 1:6 Vader, Stormie, Rebel Trooper oh my!!!

Pages : [1] 2

AmanaMatt
07-23-2008, 12:58 AM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5185

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5170

WOW....Vader seems to have a small dome - maybe pic, but stormie and Rebel trooper impress!

jedibear
07-23-2008, 02:23 AM
There goes another $3oo+....

They do look good. On that dome...the pic is kinda too dark to really tell what's going on with that. The ST looks good (with what little we see) and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but the Rebel Trooper is as exciting as the other two to me....maybe more...he looks great!

Can't wait to see the avalanche of pictures of these guys over the next few days....

AmanaMatt
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Looking at that pic again, it may be just the black on black throwing it off; Stormie looks very ANH, which is great to me...and, I agree, of all the Rebel Troopers to do, this is the guy I want - I will be getting all three, and a multiple of Stormie....

Man, am I gonna be broke with these three...

Vader will probably be $125 or so (maybe more)

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Not so sure I will get the Rebel Fleet Trooper, but I'm 99% sure I have to have Vader and the Stormtrooper.
Vader's head does look a little small.
It's good we'll see more detail at SDCC coverage before a final decision.

AmanaMatt
07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I love the Rebel trooper; he will look really good next to the stormies!

Blue2th
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
In the SDCC pics the Stormy's look shorter than Vader. Or is it that Vader is taller as he should be?
I don't know if I like Vader's cape. I think I would remove at least the front portion to see his armor.

Bosskman
07-24-2008, 04:29 AM
They all look good to me. There's a lot of really cool stuff coming out this year. Vader and the stormie especially, but I can't complain about the RFT either. Vader is from ANH so his cape is supposed to be like that. I'm sure there will be a ROTJ one with removable helmet later.

sergiurusu
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
This is really cool! I'll be getting Vader and 2 stormies.

AmanaMatt
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Cool pics; Stormies do look short, but I have heard Vader is 14" tall -

Personally, I love the look of all of them!

Tycho
07-25-2008, 12:32 AM
All these figures were really great in person. I saw them with Figrin Bran at Comic Con today.

I ordered the Rebel Fleet Trooper, as he was on my wishlist.

I was very impressed with what SideShow had done and the choices that company has made (and their good customer service).

I can honestly encourage your SideShow orders and feel good about doing so.

sergiurusu
07-25-2008, 01:08 AM
I'll try getting both Vader and stormie exclusive, but if i can't I'll get them regular from an European seller. Usually SS shipping costs to Europe are very high due to all kinds of taxes and stuff.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I pre-ordered the Vader already. I can shrug at the exclusive edition. Now I just have to wait for them to make a Threepio and Artoo and I'm done.

Bosskman
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Pre-ordered all 3. Can't wait for them to get here around Christmas I hope.

Jaff
07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
I pre-ordered all 3 today, and I might get an extra stormie on Aug 1.

I do have a side question for you folks. To date I've gotten every 12" sideshow with exception to EU stuff. I keep noticing the Emperor's royal guard on the 12" order page, and it was a pretty penny. What is RAH, and does anyone out there have an RAH fig (I assume it's a better articulated, quality figure). The most important question I have is what does the package look like. Is it similar to all the other Sideshow 12" packages. If I get one of the Royal Guards I want it to be next to all my other Sideshow figs, but I don't want it if the packaging is different. If you have one, post it on this thread, or a link to where I can find a picture to determine if I want to order one. Thanks.

Airborne
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
To answer your question, the RAH figures come from Japan. They're supposed to be better but I got the Boba Fett figure and was not impressed. The boxes are not good at all. Mine is in the closet somewhere because I won't open the box and the box is not really suitable for display because it's so boring. They're more jointed but the jointing is very obvious. For example, the Boba Fett figure has huge, obvious rivets through his wrists. It looks awful, in my opinion. This was the first RAH figure I got and my last. I pre-ordered the Jango figure before I got Boba and cancelled my order after Boba arrived. The only other RAH figure I've considered is the Shock Trooper that's exclusive to the Star Wars Shop. Maybe the troopers are better.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
The RAH are also just slightly smaller than SideShow's 12".

I noticed that at Comic Con. The Royal Guard impressed me though - it looked really good and I like Royal Guards. But I'd wait for SideShow to do it "the right size" - AND it'd be cheaper by fifty dollars or more as well, I'm sure.

Blue2th
07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
You could probably get the Hasbro Target 2-pk Royal Guard and talking Emperor for next to nothing. I seem to remember it not being half bad, but I'd have to dig mine out of storage to check. I don't like the idea of figures not matching most of the ones I have, no matter how well they are made so I have never bought any of the RAH's.

I think I'm going to hold out for the Exclusive Stormy and Vader on August 1st.
It's cool that SS switched things around for the Pre-order though.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I have the Emperor / Royal Guard 2-pack from Hasbro.

I was always disappointed that I couldn't get a 2nd Guard sold separately so I'd have a pair of them.

The RAH one looked great. I don't know if that would satisfy me, or I wanted the Kir Kanos style red stormtrooper armor underneathe it for the added effect.

A Kir Kanos 12" would be awesome if you could fold the cape over and use him as a standard Royal Guard. Heck, I'd then buy 3 and they could do an easy repaint for Carnor Jax with just a new head sculpt. That would make sense to me.

sergiurusu
07-26-2008, 02:03 AM
I pre-ordered all 3 today, and I might get an extra stormie on Aug 1.

I do have a side question for you folks. To date I've gotten every 12" sideshow with exception to EU stuff. I keep noticing the Emperor's royal guard on the 12" order page, and it was a pretty penny. What is RAH, and does anyone out there have an RAH fig (I assume it's a better articulated, quality figure). The most important question I have is what does the package look like. Is it similar to all the other Sideshow 12" packages. If I get one of the Royal Guards I want it to be next to all my other Sideshow figs, but I don't want it if the packaging is different. If you have one, post it on this thread, or a link to where I can find a picture to determine if I want to order one. Thanks.

I have Medicom RAH ROTJ Vader, Stormtrooper, Blackhole Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper (and ROTS Vader and Royal Guard on order). I like them all. Pictures of my RAH collection (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563335251cTdzar) . They are a bit smaller than SS figures but I really don't care. They are pretty accurate (stormie helmets are from ROTJ so they are not so accurate for Sandtrooper) very poseable and look great on display. Medicom RAH ROTJ Darth Vader review at MwcToys (http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_080105a.htm), Medicom RAH Stormtrooper review (http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_013107a.htm) and Medicom RAH Sanstrooper review (http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_061107a.htm)

AmanaMatt
07-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Medicom are overrated, IMO. I had the Vader, and while he was nice overall, he was too small....

Saw the pics from this site - AWESOME pics, guys! I ordered Rebel Trooper, Vader and Stormie....They look very, very good!

Jayspawn
07-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I've decided to wait on these. Might preorder later but SS has still hasnt won back much of my faith. Belloq looks great but should be sold for half the price hes going for.

Tycho
07-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Medicom's RAH Indy and Henry Jones, Sr. are twice as awesome.

Man does that sculpt look exactly like Sean Connery!

plasticfetish
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh well.

So I'm sitting there at 10am (and 30-ish seconds) ordering my "exclusive" Vader, but when I get to the final screen, it seems that Sideshow doesn't have the current expiration date for my card. I can't order the thing, and within six minutes (as most of you now know), they're gone.

Seriously... f*** it.
I think that's it for me and Sideshow.

sergiurusu
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that plasticfetish! I was on the lucky side and got my Exclusive Vader

Exhaust Port
08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Well I did it. After all these years of NOT buying any 12" figures I made the leap and bought the Stormtrooper. My biggest beef has been the price of the Sideshow figures but the Stormtrooper was priced a little better (albeit still high) so I'm willing to pony up the money for it. Now I have some time to try and build a shelf for this figure to be displayed in the office.

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I missed the PP this morning doh! The Exclusive Vader is not that special anyways with an extra hand? Still I would have rather had it extra than not, but I can settle for the regular one or get on the wait list which always seems to work out ok if you do it early enough.

I won't miss the Stormtrooper though, up in about an hour from now.

sergiurusu
08-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Good luck Blue2th!

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Good luck Blue2th!

roger-roger thanks!

sergiurusu
08-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Got Ex. Stormie as well :)

jonthejedi
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
The exclusive stormie was gone within 4 minutes. I actually had one, hit the blue button to secure...and it came back wait list item. At least I got the Vader.

sergiurusu
08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
i guess I was lucky today, Dracula helped me:D

Jaina Solo
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, there goes my budget for a while. Ordered the exclusive Vader and the Stormtrooper. I'll probably order the non-exclusive Stormie from another store. I really want at least 2 for my display. (More would be better, but until I win the lotto...)

Jonthejedi, you'll probably still get one if you're on the wait list, so keep your fingers crossed.

sergiurusu
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Now bring the Sandtroopers! :)

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
The exclusive stormie was gone within 4 minutes. I actually had one, hit the blue button to secure...and it came back wait list item. At least I got the Vader.

Damn! 4 minutes? That's less time than Vader!

What's up with that? Extremely popular or edition size smaller?

I managed to snag one though :thumbsup:

jedibear
08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I was shocked and delighted that I managed to snag both too.

Wasn't horribly shocked that the Stormies beat Vader in selling out. I'd heard that Sideshow was allowing Con attendees to pre-order 2 if they wished, so that may have shrunk the number of what was on tap for the PPO or it could have been as simple as folks really like the Troops!
I ordered the regular editions of each last week and although I'll cancel the reg Vader, I'm gonna keep the reg Trooper...gotta have two flanking Vader on display!

sergiurusu
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
SS Exclusive Stormtrooper already on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sideshow-Stormtrooper-Exclusive-Edition_W0QQitemZ120289999682QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34 8QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem) :( Hate these guys! Look at the price.:mad: And he has 2 for sale:whip:

AmanaMatt
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I managed to score both exclusives - I am sorry for those that had a bad go of it - I am a bit annoyed that the Exclusive ESs are as small as they are...

When does the Rebel Trooper go up for PPO?

And, whatever happened to the Inclusive edition? That must have backfired on SS for them to have stopped it already

jedibear
08-02-2008, 10:12 PM
AmanaMatt,,,

There is no PPO for the Rebel Trooper...he's already up for order. He's a domestic web exclusive just like Praji was so...no exclusive accessory or anything, just the figure and his gear.

I'm as excited about this figure as I am Vader and the troopers...the pics from SDCC are really impressive.

Go order him! :)

As for the inclusive edition idea...lots of theories being bandied about on that one's demise...I just think Sideshow found out having an open-ended edition for a figure just didn't work for them, so they're trying a different tact with Vader and the ST's....putting the regular edition up for sale first for a few days before the exclusive goes PPO and having the exclusives be items that are not entirely necessary for display for the figure(s) ...the "force" hand for Vader and the extra gun for the Stormtrooper aren't "make or break" for the average collector. It'll be interesting to hear how this new method shakes out and if it will be the norm for other popular forthcoming characters like clones, the Fetts and the droids, among others...

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:43 AM
I preordered 1 of each at the con, but I'm not sure I'll follow through at these prices. It's really hard to be jazzed when we're talking about this much money, and I don't see what makes Vader $35 more valuable than that stormie. The helmet on Vader looks very good in person, but more the ESB or ROTJ sculpt than the ANH one. The helmet on the Stormie looks very off to me, the "mouth" is way too small, the taper shape is all wrong, and the front lower half is too thick.

Sideshow said that these were designed in collaboration with Hot Toys (whom I met the president of at the show actually), especially the Stormtrooper, so I'm not surprised the armor parts look great. I think the tailoring on Vader has a lot of work left though, that stuff seemed weak and missing some cues.

sergiurusu
08-03-2008, 06:42 AM
I know there might be some problems with the 2 figures but still it is nice to have them ready for the fans. I'd like to see the Vader stitching on the cape disappearing and be more like the Vader RAH but not sure if SS will do that...

AmanaMatt
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
There is no PPO for the Rebel Trooper...he's already up for order. He's a domestic web exclusive

Oh, duh on my part! Thanks....

And Jt, we love ya man, but you are SMOKING with this one. Now, I am not there in person, but these look pretty fantastic to me....

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Trust me, the lower face on the Stormtrooper is way off, and the cut & sew on Vader is really cheap material and tailoring - especially for a prototype. That doesn't mean they're bad pieces, but they are not the end-all be-all. And those aren't nitpicks, nitpicks would be calling out the Vader chestbox for being too big, or the stormtrooper's hands and feet for being too small. Actually, that last one probably is a bigger issue than I am thinking it is, I hadn't seen it written down yet.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm so glad the Rebel Fleet Trooper doesn't say "Pello Scrambas" on the box. JT and I agreed that it is the worst name given any character in Star Wars.

Rumplestiltskin would be cooler.

I wish I could forget EVER hearing that name - but the very fact that I can spell Pello Scrambas means that I cannot.

sergiurusu
08-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm so glad the Rebel Fleet Trooper doesn't say "Pello Scrambas" on the box. JT and I agreed that it is the worst name given any character in Star Wars.

Rumplestiltskin would be cooler.

I wish I could forget EVER hearing that name - but the very fact that I can spell Pello Scrambas means that I cannot.

Is that Rebel's trooper name? Crappola!:D I know Lucas has really huge imagination when comes to names:p

Tycho
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Lucas doesn't name most of the characters. Decipher, the customizeable card game takes credit for a lot of that. So does West End Games Role Play.

They took pictures of every character seen on screen, and then "Star Wars'd" people's names. There's some method where you take half your last name and attach it to half your first name, maybe hyphennate it.

Bel-Cam Jos on our boards came from Joseph Cambell.

Hmmm. Using that pattern I'd be Bergeis Jo. That's not too bad. But from wherever they got Pello Scrambas - maybe even from a girl: Amber Lopez, with some adjustments? It sounds terrible and doesn't make you think of that severely serious Rebel Trooper in the least bit.

Anyway, for Role Play and Card Games, they needed every possible additional character - and they had to have names. So that's how they got them. George Lucas probably doesn't even know. He has staff that handle this.

Blue2th
08-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I like that. You can call me Eades Rhorl.

AmanaMatt
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow - that is the worst EU name ever given to a legit character....I would rather then name him Ham Sandwich!

JediTricks
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
we found out what the old guy's name was when I was coming up with a question to Hasbro about making the figure, and while it wasn't the most convoluted name Decipher ever came up with (it didn't have 3 hyphens and 8 apostrophes), it was pretty much agreed that it was possibly the worst-sounding SW name ever.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
I wonder if you can modify Vader's inner robe and put it under the breast plate. Hmmmmm...

sergiurusu
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I wonder if you can modify Vader's inner robe and put it under the breast plate. Hmmmmm...

No need to. I'm sure SS will release a new Vader from ESB, ROTJ and/or ROTS in the future. And besides the robe the differences between Vaders are with the helmet and chest box.

sergiurusu
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
The new SS Stormtrooper Commander (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5754&source=110608news&utm_source=newsletter-pers-110608news&utm_medium=email)

Blue2th
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Nice, but I don't like racing stripes on my Stormtroopers. A little too expanded universe for me.

sergiurusu
11-08-2008, 02:26 AM
I think I'll buy it since I love stormies, but I'd rather get a sandtrooper

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't pay $68 for Hasbro's 3.75" version, and I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $110 for Sideshow's. :p

jedibear
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
That's what I call a "Skittle Trooper"...

Jayspawn
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Definitely passing on the Stormtrooper Commander. To me they only come in 2 colors, black & white.

AmanaMatt
11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I didn't pay $68 for Hasbro's 3.75" version, and I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $110 for Sideshow's. :p

$68? Is that what it goes for on Ebay or something?

sergiurusu
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I ordered the regular Adidas Stormtrooper from BBTS. I don't like the exclusive stand... SS should have done enviorama stands like Hot Toys does for some of their Predators or the battle damaged Endoskeleton. On the other hand I like my stands to be nearly invisible, the most important for me is the figure - which sometimes I display without the stand

JediTricks
11-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Sideshow has just let me know that they hate me... I mean, that the 12" Rebel Fleet Trooper is 12 to 15 days away from shipping, just like 12" Indy. I can't even cancel RFT because it's tied to my orders for the Stormie and Vader since I did it at Comic-Con. I think I'm gonna call SSC tomorrow and ask them to push back my shipping as long as they can.

$68? Is that what it goes for on Ebay or something?To get it, you had to buy the video game which in my case was $59.99 plus tax.

JediTricks
11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I canceled the Rebel Blockade Trooper, I just couldn't justify $70 plus shipping and tax on the figure at the same time as 12" Indy and the holidays. This is my first ever SSC cancel.

jedibear
11-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I will admit it's one of the biggest disappointments about Sideshow for me...how the process of placing orders is really well-spaced out (time-wise) but they always seem to ship in (very expensive) clumps...it's always been hard on the wallet, and nowadays with things tightening up even more and the costs of these figures rising, it's downright impossible.

I had to cancel Mundi (which I really regret), Belloq and Idol Pedestal, and...I didn't even order the paintball Stormtrooper.

It's gonna be hard around the time Vader and the Stormtrooper hit too (2 figures I really want and have been waiting for)...

I know Sideshow is in the business to make money and they probably don't care who cancels because the stuff gets sold sooner or later. It's just this "feast or famine" approach makes it tough for folks who have been right there for every PPO and who want to support the line(s) to continue to order every piece and keep the order when the time arrives for shipping. I'd support other lines from Sideshow more aggressively if I knew the entire schedule was more consistant...now I know with production that's nearly impossible, but the way it goes now, I think they are going to see a lot more cancellations than ever...

Anyway...rant off...back to the figure discussion...:sad:

JediTricks
11-23-2008, 04:03 AM
It's a good rant, and SSC should keep hearing it from us or they won't address the problem. They've known it's an issue for almost the whole run of the line and still it comes down this way. And heaven help the collector into 2 or more lines, like Indy and SW. That idol pedestal, tragic to give it up, but it's an easy kill probably because of this stuff. I think the Utapau Clone's slow sales hopefully will send a message to SSC about spacing this stuff out better, too much too fast killed that thing's sales. Overpriced and underinteresting means it's easier and easier next time to pass, and while SW sales are good now, the economy is changing rapidly like you pointed out, they need to address this situation for the good of the line before it hurts things.

AmanaMatt
11-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Xmas time = Fubar time @ sideshow....! Happens every year

Bosskman
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Theyre combining my order for these 3 with Ki-Adi Mundi. 4 Sideshow fugures at one time - it may be too much for me to handle.

Blue2th
12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Theyre combining my order for these 3 with Ki-Adi Mundi. 4 Sideshow fugures at one time - it may be too much for me to handle.

No way wtf!
That's not very nice of them.

I just got charged for Ki-Adi-Mundi, he's on his way.
I'm on the wait-list for Vader, and I got the pre-order for the Stormie, but have not been charged yet.

sergiurusu
12-11-2008, 11:36 PM
So is the Stormtrooper coming already?

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Call them, see if you can't get them to work something out.

Bosskman
12-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Meh, I'll just suck it up. All 3 at once would save me at least $100 bucks on shipping. I'll just have to wait longer for Mundi.

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 09:27 PM
They shouldn't be charging you all at once, each one is charged when it ships, and NONE of these are shipping at the same time as each other. Maybe your order is in the same sheet because you ordered them together (mine was), but each will charge only when it is time to ship out. Call to be sure, don't get caught off guard.

Bosskman
12-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Well, I got the e-mail saying thatthe RFT will be charged today, so the 2 at least will ship together. The same thing happened with Old Obi-Wan and Luke. (And boussh Leia and bespin luke too I think.) They cancel one order and put the figure from the canceled order in with the new order. Since the RFT, Vader and Stormie are all part of the same one order, they might hang on to the others until they're all ready to ship.

Tycho
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I got a package yesterday. I have to go to my apartment office to pick it up.

It's probably the Organas from HTS, but it could be my Rebel Fleet Trooper, too.

"Alderaan" seems to be my theme for the holiday.

Jaff
12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I just got my notification for the RFT and I was a bit surprised because I had not received a pre-notification for Ki yet. Has anyone received Ki yet, I thought he was out?

jedibear
12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Got my notice for the RFT too. I have Mundi set for arrival next week.

Good thing I don't eat much.... :)

sergiurusu
12-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Well, I got the e-mail saying thatthe RFT will be charged today, so the 2 at least will ship together. The same thing happened with Old Obi-Wan and Luke. (And boussh Leia and bespin luke too I think.) They cancel one order and put the figure from the canceled order in with the new order. Since the RFT, Vader and Stormie are all part of the same one order, they might hang on to the others until they're all ready to ship.

I wouldn't mind having Vader and Stormie ship together, I might save something on the high SS shipping costs to Europe

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, I got the e-mail saying thatthe RFT will be charged today, so the 2 at least will ship together. The same thing happened with Old Obi-Wan and Luke. (And boussh Leia and bespin luke too I think.) They cancel one order and put the figure from the canceled order in with the new order. Since the RFT, Vader and Stormie are all part of the same one order, they might hang on to the others until they're all ready to ship.Stormtrooper isn't due to ship for another month at least, well after the RFT.

Leia Boushh initially shipped in 7/'07, Luke Bespin didn't ship for another 4 months (early Nov), maybe you're thinking of Leia ANH which initially shipped just 2 weeks after Luke Bespin.

ANH Obi-Wan shipped very late December '07. ANH Luke didn't ship until July of '08.

Granted, some of this could be the Canada angle, but it's still from the North American warehouse, I believe, not the EU one.

Bosskman
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
My bad, it was Han ANH and Luke I got at the same time and ANH Leia and Bespin Luke. I think Boussh Leia might have Shipped with Holo Sidious, for some reason it seems to me she never came alone, who can remember.

dr_evazan22
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm due to receive Ki on Wed and just got tracking info for the RFT, so he'll probably be here Mon or Tues next week. Cool, I can open him for Xmas!

Tycho
12-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I got my tracking info on the Rebel Fleet Trooper as well.

Several transmissions were beamed to this ship. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you?

JediTricks
02-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Less than 2 weeks away now from the Stormtrooper!

Blue2th
02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Just got my "warning" too.

jedibear
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
And here's hoping Sideshow knocks it outta the park with this one!

sergiurusu
02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
got my notice! :pleased:

Jayspawn
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm a Stomtrooper fan all the way but did not order this one. If the final pics look as good as the proto I might be on it. Gotta see pics!

Exhaust Port
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I canceled mine. :( Tough economic times means less $$ for such purchases.

Blue2th
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I thought about canceling, but it's a Stormtrooper. I can't let it go.

Now I'm just hoping my "wait list" gets modified to "processing" for Vader. He's the one I really want.

Jayspawn
02-10-2009, 12:40 AM
I canceled mine. :( Tough economic times means less $$ for such purchases.

See and I agree. Sideshow needs to watch those prices -though I dont think they care too much. I really want Piette but hes not worth what they're asking and times being what they are -I cut Piette from my list for now.

Exhaust Port
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, the price they offer their figures at make these an exceptional purchase rather than a special purchase. I'm usually willing to spend a little more for a great figure but exceeding $100 a pop is a deal breaker and not just for these figures, any collector toy IMHO. Too bad, my 12" collection could use something like this in it.

Blue2th
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Received my shipping notification this morning!

Also received a processing notification for Obi-Wan AOTC.

AmanaMatt
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I am getting my stormie tomorrow. Inital pics at Sideshow Collectors show an ill fitting armor - however, many people don't know how to 'futz'

sergiurusu
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
The funny thing is that my regular Stormie is already in my "Pile of loot" at BBTS and Sideshow is still fracking "processing" my exclusive one. I like the Stormtrooper but it seems the helmet has some minor issues. See comparison with my eFX 1:1 Stormtrooper helmet and I can add Kotobukiy Sandtrooper helmets as well

sergiurusu
03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
The exclusive from SS shows "shipping soon". Thanks God, I was thinking SS will come to Romania and hand it to me personally. :sleeping: The regular one is already in my "Pile of Loot" at BBTS waiting for the Diplomatic Mission diorama... :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-04-2009, 04:38 AM
I received my Stormtrooper yesterday, but couldn't pick it up until today. I was surprised to find that the box for it was a horizontal, rather than the standard vertical, design. Horizontal is a great idea, it's much easier getting the inner product box into and out of the packing box this way, which lessens the chances of problems. However, on this figure, they didn't use foam endcaps, which increases the risk of crushing - mine had a very minor amount, and some minor scratching on the back, but nothing I'm unhappy with. The box seems smaller, due in large part to the horizontal nature, although the actual figure box is not a dual-box like others, and they didn't use the endcaps.

The figure is extremely nice, much better than I was expecting. Was it worth $100 with shipping and tax? I'm not sure, but it's far and away the best-looking Stormtrooper replica in my collection, and extremely poseable. The new body works very nicely with the armor and stocking, the armor does get in the way of some poses but in a realistic manner, and the elastic straps everywhere let it move out of the way of other pieces equally realistically. The neck has a sewn version of "the collar", but it's not visible with the helmet on, and even the tiny bit that normally would be is covered by the body stocking which rides up the neck a little. The joints all feel fine, nothing is going to stick or break easily (the elbow on mine was rotated around the wrong way initially, and hard to spot in the black body stocking), although the shoulders are a little weak when it comes to holding the gun. The elbows hit around 150 degrees like a charm, the armor moves with the arms very well. At first I thought the figure seemed bulky, but that was just due to the shoulders-forward pose, setting them back changed the dynamic incredibly. The one area the armor gets a tiny bit of a downturn is the chestplate, which seems a little wide, but some of the ANH promo armor looks this way so it passes, just not with perfection. The armor is somewhere between shiny and matte, it looks good, the shoes are painted and have a slight wash which looks pretty decent. The armor is all hard and thin, yet doesn't feel brittle, and it scales down pretty darn well. Some pieces spin or shift, this also feels fairly realistic in how it acts though.

For details, we'll start with the helmet. Unlike the Master Replicas designs (.45 scale and 1:1), this helmet is clearly emulating the ANH helmets. It's essentially the "hero" helmet design, and it's not my first choice but it is accurate to that (see the "hero" armor here: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/realstormprops.htm ). The brim and slightly small "eyes" are more from the Sandtrooper design, so it looks a little off. The helmet has cutouts in the "mouth", which is some mighty fine work - for a nitpicker, this is a small problem because there's no head under the helmet, it's on a post, so if you look at just the right angle you can see the background. The feel is good, the sculpt is sharp overall, but the gray indents are a little "soft", and this is made worse by ever so slightly soft paint work here - the brim also is a tiny bit sloppy, the eyes are better but under the closest scrutiny you can make a little out. The most notable issue is the filters next to the chin, they're simply a touch too big and have a toyetic look. For my personal taste, I would have liked to have seen the helmet sit maybe a tiny bit higher just for the sake of movement.

The back of the figure looks extremely accurate, even to the stuff that looked kinda out of place in the real design, like the way the belt looks on the bare white back. They did something marvelous here, they used metal clips on the thermal detonator to plug it over the velcro meeting point, and while it comes off occasionally when you don't want it to, it's so snazzy having it come off when you do. The belt sports the boxes that fill out the hips, and these are on a light elastic, so they can move quite a bit. The holster is also back there, at a slight angle, and it works pretty well - just squeeze it open a little, and the blaster slips right down, with the fold-over loop using another magnet to hold it down. With the gun, the holster is a little heavy, but it also gives it a realistic bounce when you move the figure.

The hands are simple but look very nice and are well scaled. The joints are black so they get away with murder, and the move on the figure as much as you could want. There are 2 sets and it's not clear which does what, except the open left hand that cradles the blaster's barrel nicely (the other cradle hand seems too closed for the blaster, and meant for the exclusive pistol). I couldn't get a good finger-on-trigger hand, but if you keep the finger below the trigger guard there's a perfect hand for that.

The regular gun is the standard E-11 they previously developed complete with folding stock. This has a new paint job with some white accents, silver weathering except around the barrel (this seems intentional, as if to have the ribs stand out as a different material) and some subtle gold accenting on the scope which I don't recognize from any source. The exclusive gun is the promo photo pistol, and it's unpainted black plastic with a softer sculpt, it's definitely nothing to write home about, and could be viewed as downright disappointing if it weren't such an unimportant addition.

All in all, my first blush take on it is very positive, far moreso than I had been expecting, especially based on SSC's rather weaker prototype designs. The hard armor looks great on the stocking, the body moves very well and the armor moves (and sometimes doesn't when appropriate) accurately. The helmet fits the ANH look, and though it's not without small flaws, it covers the big concerns fine. The whole thing seems like it could pass for the real mccoy in the right circumstances, it's a different animal than the Medicom one based on the pictures I've seen, that one is going for a different helmet if nothing else, but this one definitely is the one I'm glad I got.

jonthejedi
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm anxious to get mine...still hasn't shipped. I have the Medicom RAH version, and I'm hoping the armor on this one isn't quite so shiny. I cancelled some Sideshow, too...but the iconic stormie is my favorite SW costume, bar none...I had to keep this one on order.

AmanaMatt
03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Wanted to post pics, but site cannot handle them due to size.

Received mine today, and overall I like it, but don't love it. This piece has several changes from the original proto, but the main issue is the ill-fitting chest and arm/shoulder armor pieces. They are a tad bulky to deal with. Figure can be posed to look great but you will have to work it.

I love the velcro belt and holster - very nice

The helmet itself is excellent, but the microphone(s) parts are a tad large and silver....if you apply a light blackwash to them, it sure helps...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/004-1.jpg

It must be said that my only reason for being hard on this piece: I own the Marmit stormtrooper...while more of a kit than true figure, its pretty much dead on looking to the movie versions....if I had nothing to compare this to, I would be estatic.

Bosskman
03-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Sideshow is combining my Stormie with Obi-Wan to save me some shipping.

Tycho
03-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Amanamatt, that's a great picture!

dr_evazan22
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I finally got my shipping notice last night, due to arrive 3/10. Can't wait! As of last night I still had not seen the charge (or hold) on my card though.

Blue2th
03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
What kind of Vader is that AmanaMatt?
A Marmit?

Looks nice.

sergiurusu
03-06-2009, 03:10 AM
A Marmit?

Marmit only made prototype Vader, unfortunately never got into production

AmanaMatt
03-06-2009, 03:39 AM
A Marmit?

Looks nice.

Amanamatt, that's a great picture!

I wish Marmit had theirs out...I wanted it bad!!! That's a custom made by a gent on the Sideshow collector board by the name of Hurricane...its a ROTS one with removable helmet...I am trying to get one of his ANH Vaders next....I am addicited to his stuff...

Well, the guys on that board have warmed up the chest armor so that the front part curves toward the body better and wow, what a diff...I shall try Mon and will post pics!

AmanaMatt
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok, credit for pics go to Justin and Rismo at Sideshow collectors.com (and my personal Stormie idols)

check out pic1:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/xm4wur.jpg

See how the sides of the chest armor flair out

Pic 2:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/CredittoRismo.jpg

Heat was used and future floor wax used for shine (used on eye lenses in this pic)...see how the chest sides now hug the torso (as they should)....! Becareful with a hairdryer...you may warp more than you want....

Heres a couple of my own stormie:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/005-2.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/001-2.jpg

Kinda shows you want you can do with the chest armor - I added a blackwash the microphones/speakers on the helmet...

Here's one last one with that Vader - he is great, just not quite as tall as I'd like...he needs two inches....

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/009.jpg

sergiurusu
03-07-2009, 02:53 AM
nice pics!:thumbsup:

AmanaMatt
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
nice pics!:thumbsup:

Thanks....you should see some of the ones on other boards...I can't get over how great some people take pics...they look incredible!

Ok, so my score for the Stormie without futzed is a B-

When you warp the chest in (like in my pics) and update the mics on the helmet, I give it an A-

Its amazing how much a properly fitting chest piece adds to the look....overall, SS kicked butt with this one and look forward to their Sandtrooper...

JediTricks
03-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I like the fix on the helmet filters, a simple blackwash really fixes that toyetic screwup - SSC should be ashamed for missing something so simple, especially with the shoes getting a blackwash.

Warming up the chest armor, huh? Instructions, or link to them? Seems like a nice, easy fix for a rather stupid problem.

AmanaMatt
03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Warming up the chest armor, huh? Instructions, or link to them? Seems like a nice, easy fix for a rather stupid problem.

Best advice: have your hair dryer on med heat only and heat it from the inside.....I had done this on high setting and was shocked to see how fast the plastic softened....

My right side is slightly more bent than I wanted, but with the left, I used the med heat and as you can see in the one pic from that side, it looks dead on - that was prob one min or less under the hair dryer....

As for links, the Rismo post (4th down on the page) on the below link was the first I saw - now, i didn't mess with the velcro action - once heated, the chest is pretty much not moving around:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51069&page=94

sergiurusu
03-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks....you should see some of the ones on other boards...I can't get over how great some people take pics...they look incredible!

I'm member on Rebelscum and Sideshow Freaks boards too :thumbsup: Seen all the pics there!:yes: The figure looks great, can't wait to receive mine, it will arrive by 11th.

AmanaMatt
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm member on Rebelscum and Sideshow Freaks boards too :thumbsup: Seen all the pics there!:yes: The figure looks great, can't wait to receive mine, it will arrive by 11th.

Let us know what you think once you get it....not sure why I received mine so fast this time....I'm usually a week behind everyone else

My second one (and final) arrives tomorrow via Cornerstorecomics.com - saved me about $7 that way...

JediTricks
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Best advice: have your hair dryer on med heat only and heat it from the inside.....I had done this on high setting and was shocked to see how fast the plastic softened....As a single guy, I don't own a hairdryer. :p I no longer own a working heat gun, I used to do a little electronics but those days are far behind me. I may see if time can do the job of a hairdryer, but I may cave.

My right side is slightly more bent than I wanted, but with the left, I used the med heat and as you can see in the one pic from that side, it looks dead on - that was prob one min or less under the hair dryer....That's a long time to hold it under a hairdryer without knowing the results, but maybe I could throw it on a Hasbro body as a jig, that'd make it a little more likely to try - I could *shudder* borrow my sister's hairdryer.

As for links, the Rismo post (4th down on the page) on the below link was the first I saw - now, i didn't mess with the velcro action - once heated, the chest is pretty much not moving around:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51069&page=94
His velcro addition is way too bold for my tastes, it's almost guaranteed that any part of the body suit touching the hooks will get destroyed. I'm not totally sure he's using velcro though, the hooks look straight rather than curved, there's another similar technology with pins and pegs, but that could still snag.

AmanaMatt
03-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Jt, you could always stick the chest armor in boiling water - but just heat up the sections that need to bend. Now, I was nervous to do this as the armor is painted, but others have claimed great success...

I ended getting the velcro tabs: both white and black. White that goes on the armor and the black one that runs across front to back...looks good - cant even tell that you have it on once done....

I also ended up getting the Future shine stuff, but did it for the lenses and black stipe - does make it look nice and shiny

Mine is now pretty much done - and I love it. Once futzed up, it is pretty darn great.

JediTricks
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't do boiling water, I don't trust myself to not screw that up. Plus, I'd ruin the rubbery attachments at the top.

So, the velcro doesn't snag the bodysuit? How does that work?

The stripe shouldn't be shiny, it's rubber on the real one. But I may try that for the lenses, I'm concerned at this time about the longterm effects but the lenses could do with some shininess.

AmanaMatt
03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't do boiling water, I don't trust myself to not screw that up. Plus, I'd ruin the rubbery attachments at the top.

So, the velcro doesn't snag the bodysuit? How does that work?

The stripe shouldn't be shiny, it's rubber on the real one. But I may try that for the lenses, I'm concerned at this time about the longterm effects but the lenses could do with some shininess.

Yeah, people are dipping in just the end of the armor - not the whole thing..to keep the straps out of the water

As for the Velcro - I place the white ones on the inside of the armor - two for each side - then a black one that you 'connect' to each of the ends - this is the piece that is exposed under the arm - since you match black on black (body suit) its pretty darn near invisible - its done just to keep the back of the armor from sticking way out...

Yeah, I have held off on painting the whole thing in gloss - for the same reason. Did do the lense and its sharp....

sergiurusu
03-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Received my exclusive stormie, as I already anticipated it is an AWESOME figure. No loose joints on mine except maybe for the ankles. I did the chest armor bending with a hairdryer and it looks cool. Sorry for the pics with no poses, but I put it back on the box until moving to the new house where I'll display my collection better

db1138
03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
just started getting these Sideshow figures. now have both Bespin Han & Luke. (LOOOVE the Luke) also have ep.3 Obi-wan & Anakin(Vader version).

I'm looking to get ep.4 Vader & Stormtrooper next. the new Lando is great, but I agree with most that the price is pretty steep.:smoker:

jonthejedi
03-13-2009, 04:44 AM
After getting mine(no hairdryer fix yet), I still prefer the Medicom RAH version(scale differences aside). They certainly did a better job with armor fitting & velcro closures.

AmanaMatt
03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I still prefer the Medicom RAH version(scale differences aside).

Your are now banned from this thread....:D:D:D

Just kidding, but I hear you, the armor did fit better - just don't like my army builder figures petite

jonthejedi
03-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I will have to try the hairdryer fix...I just didn't want to have to de-assemble the whole darn guy. What was Sideshow thinking...white velcro clearly visible over the black bodysuit. You're right though, the demure scale of RAH is a hindrance...the posing of RAH Vader next to a stormie just doesn't have the presence(commanding) I know Sideshow's will have when their Ep. IV Vader ships later in the year.

JediTricks
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
What white velcro visible over the black bodysuit? If you're talking about the one on the back of the belt, that's how it is in the movie version.

sergiurusu
03-14-2009, 04:32 AM
After getting mine(no hairdryer fix yet), I still prefer the Medicom RAH version(scale differences aside). They certainly did a better job with armor fitting & velcro closures.

I don't have a favorite, both are great, but neither is perfect. Each has its own pros and cons.

darthbooger
03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
What do you guys do abut loose joints on the 1/6 scale stuff? I have a bunch of figures this is a problem with and dont know what to do.:upset::twisted::upset:

AmanaMatt
03-14-2009, 10:34 AM
What white velcro visible over the black bodysuit? If you're talking about the one on the back of the belt, that's how it is in the movie version.

Ok, here is a pic of what I mean. Pic take by sideshow collector board member Rismo...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/credittoRismo-1.jpg

Sorry for my crap description....I tried this and works just fine....just if you want the back of the chest armor from sticking out

JediTricks
03-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok, here is a pic of what I mean. Pic take by sideshow collector board member Rismo...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/credittoRismo-1.jpg

Sorry for my crap description....I tried this and works just fine....just if you want the back of the chest armor from sticking out
That isn't Sideshow's white velcro, that's a custom addition. Jonthejedi was complaining in post 116 about Sideshow's white velcro over black bodysuit being a problem, that's why I asked about the belt, because that's the only white velcro I can think of coming from Sideshow.

AmanaMatt
03-14-2009, 03:39 PM
That isn't Sideshow's white velcro, that's a custom addition. Jonthejedi was complaining in post 116 about Sideshow's white velcro over black bodysuit being a problem, that's why I asked about the belt, because that's the only white velcro I can think of coming from Sideshow.

Ah - gotcha - I totally misunderstood...yeah, the only white velcro being the belt...

jonthejedi
03-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, that's my mistake...and bad light in my rec room. I thought that was white velcro...until I took the helmet off. I placed some self-adhesive velcro squares on the back/chest piece & on the body suit. Not quite so flappy, now.

sergiurusu
03-15-2009, 08:42 AM
What do you guys do abut loose joints on the 1/6 scale stuff? I have a bunch of figures this is a problem with and dont know what to do.:upset::twisted::upset:

I have many 1/6 figures but just a few Sideshow. The Medicom, Takara, or Hot Toys figures have nice tight joints, only SS have them loose...

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 10:25 AM
You know the tightest joints on any figure I own is the DID Obama figure,kinda weird huh? It is a great figure though. I'm thinking about kitbashing it into a zombie. I'll call it Zombama.:D:D

AmanaMatt
03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Kinda of a side pic, here is a better shot of that Vader custom I have:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/005-3.jpg

Next to a medicom stormie

sergiurusu
03-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Looks nice!

AmanaMatt
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Looks nice!

Thanks...the guy that did that one is doing an ANH version to my specifications - basically going for the true ANH look form the beginning...it'll have all the imperfections in it...that is the version I am pumped for.....

JediTricks
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Seeing that Medicom Stormie from the side, I am that much happier with my Sideshow purchase now. The medicom's details aren't right for my tastes, the helmet profile, the way it sits on the neck, the chest armor profile and cut against the stomach panel, all that is stuff I like better on the Sideshow.

AmanaMatt
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Seeing that Medicom Stormie from the side, I am that much happier with my Sideshow purchase now. The medicom's details aren't right for my tastes, the helmet profile, the way it sits on the neck, the chest armor profile and cut against the stomach panel, all that is stuff I like better on the Sideshow.

Yeah, I agree - I am no fan of the medicom!!!

sergiurusu
03-18-2009, 03:16 AM
The funny thing is that the profile of the Medicom helmet is more accurate than Sideshow's. Sideshow might look better from front but not from profile. I've seen some pics on SSF, wish I had the time to search for them...

AmanaMatt
03-19-2009, 06:59 PM
My two stormies, with the chest correction and touched up helmet - took ten min for one on left...

jedibear
03-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Looks great, Amanamatt...just got my first Trooper...the only adjustment I've done so far is with the chest plate flare. Did the heat (hair dryer) thing and applied some velcro to keep it tight to the body.

I think this figure is outstanding!

AmanaMatt
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice pics, JB! You guys have a nice lighting flair...I can't touch that!!!

jedibear
03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks! Here's a couple more...this figure rocks! And it's cool to start having more than one classic Imperial to display together...

darthbooger
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
My two stormies, with the chest correction and touched up helmet - took ten min for one on left...
Now I gotta get one,thanks for yet another addiction AmanaMatt lol. Are those Sideshow or Medicom?:D

sergiurusu
03-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Are those Sideshow or Medicom?:D

Those are Sideshow

darthbooger
03-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Those are Sideshow
Cool.thanks .Can those still be found?:ninja:

JediTricks
03-22-2009, 11:16 PM
The funny thing is that the profile of the Medicom helmet is more accurate than Sideshow's. Sideshow might look better from front but not from profile. I've seen some pics on SSF, wish I had the time to search for them...Depends on which version of the helmet you're talking about. The SSC version matches up pretty well with the ANH helmet.

Matt, thanks for the pic, I had been wondering how the stand would look around its waist. I have to correct the chest armor and helmet filters on mine! You having trouble with the wrist pegs on yours? Both figs seem to have them showing, I hadn't noticed this about mine.

Nice photos all around. I'm quite jealous you guys all found poses to shoot. I can't decide on a pose for mine, there are so many choices. I didn't realize Praji was such the action hero. ;)

sergiurusu
03-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Cool.thanks .Can those still be found?:ninja:

Of course. The exclusive is on wait list at SS but the regular can be found at many online shops.

AmanaMatt
03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Matt, thanks for the pic, I had been wondering how the stand would look around its waist. I have to correct the chest armor and helmet filters on mine! You having trouble with the wrist pegs on yours? Both figs seem to have them showing, I hadn't noticed this about mine.

The pegs on mine are a tad loose, but it was just me not making sure they were sticking in all the way. I prefer the stand around the waist - tried to have it lower, but it pushes to much on the backside armor.....

jedibear
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
JT, here's some shots on how I've got mine displayed on the stand, (Please note: Pose changes many times daily :) )

The joints on this one are fairly tight, but I don't trust it enough to display it without the stand. I just tucked the tynes between the plates and then put the belt on a little looser than I would without the stand...tugging it down a bit to hide the tips and since the trooper is viewed from the front, I think it looks ok...

You may also notice the belt is damaged...it arrived with two of the pins that hold the holster in place missing. One call to Sideshow and a replacement is on the way!

I really like this figure...

JediTricks
03-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Ah, good to know gang, thanks. That hidden stand trick looks alright, but definitely seems to keep the belt too high.

Funny about the missing pegs on your belt there. Mine has pegs sticking too far out on that side.

jedibear
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, give that stand thing a go, JT...if you make the belt a little looser (which is easier to do with the velcro) it can be slid down a bit.

Here's aome shota of the Trooper waiting on the Carbon Freeze Camber platform for Lord Bader's test subject to arrive...

( I really like this figure...coolest trooper I've ever owned)

JediTricks
03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice lighting and floor grating. The camera is too close in the second one, but it's a very cool set none the less.

jedibear
03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Endor Rebel trooper captures an Imperial Stormtrooper...

...just having some outdoor fun...nice weather at last here!

Tycho
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
That isn't right. The Rebels couldn't handle the stormtroopers.

Credit needs to be given where it is due.

The Empire was brought to its knees by the Great Army of the Forest Ewoks aided by the Tree Spirits and commanded by The Honorable Chief Chirpa from his treetop throne!

Really cool picture anyway, JediBear :)

AmanaMatt
03-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Cool pics, JB!

db1138
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
any news on what the holdup is for the ep. IV Darth Vader ? I, evidently, missed one of the sideshow emails. :cross-eye

AmanaMatt
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
any news on what the holdup is for the ep. IV Darth Vader ? I, evidently, missed one of the sideshow emails. :cross-eye

No hold up...I think they just want to nail it. Far as I know, it scheduled to arrive on time...Keep in mind that the same ppo date does not mean the same arrival date...!

db1138
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
THANKS... :yes:

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Endor Rebel trooper captures an Imperial Stormtrooper...

...just having some outdoor fun...nice weather at last here!That's rad! I especially love that you got to use a pose that bends the elbows super far.

any news on what the holdup is for the ep. IV Darth Vader ? I, evidently, missed one of the sideshow emails. :cross-eyeI have no idea, I just looked at the latest listing and it says 3rd quarter, nothing in the emails I have show that change though. That means it'll have been over a year since we ordered it and saw the prototype, that's crazy.

Jayspawn
04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
The only notice they gave on Vader is the date change on the order page -to 3rd Qtr.

I got my finger on the trigger for the Rebel Soldier though. Really want that one but I'm moving and have 0 space for anything.

Bosskman
04-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Got my Stormie and he is better than I hoped. Keep them coming I say.

Jayspawn
04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Eeeh, might have to get the Stormtrooper. Hearing overall positive feedback on him.

AmanaMatt
04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Eeeh, might have to get the Stormtrooper. Hearing overall positive feedback on him.

Get him before he becomes hard to find...its a great piece, overall

sergiurusu
04-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Got my regular SS Stormtrooper - he joined his exclusive brother in a big box until I move to the new house where I'll be able to display him along with my whole collection

Jayspawn
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I've been informed that a store across town has various 12" Sideshow figures including the Stormtrooper for retail price. Gonna check this place out laster this week. I'll probably get the Stormtrooper then.

Jayspawn
04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, I made the trek accross town and picked up the 12" Stomtrooper and Bespin Luke.

The Stormtrooper is nice. I havnt tweaked it yet. But I already found that the head looks better with it set loosely from the socket. I'll have to work on it more.

Bespin Luke is an awesome figure. My only beefs are that his arms are so stiff on mine. And the hands are damn near impossible to switch out.

Blue2th
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Sideshow Q&A to make ESB and ROTJ Darth Vaders eventually:

Q: Are you planning to release a 1:6 scale ‘Empire Strikes Back’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ versions of Vader? Now that the ‘New Hope’ Vader has been developed these seem like very quick ways to expand the line with minimal tooling.

A: Yes, Empire and Jedi versions of Vader do appear in our planning, but not in 2009. It would be ideal to reuse the Darth Vader body. Much of the armor will require new tooling - there are a fair number of changes between ANH and the other films, even if subtle.

sergiurusu
04-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Sideshow Q&A to make ESB and ROTJ Darth Vaders eventually:

Q: Are you planning to release a 1:6 scale ‘Empire Strikes Back’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ versions of Vader? Now that the ‘New Hope’ Vader has been developed these seem like very quick ways to expand the line with minimal tooling.

A: Yes, Empire and Jedi versions of Vader do appear in our planning, but not in 2009. It would be ideal to reuse the Darth Vader body. Much of the armor will require new tooling - there are a fair number of changes between ANH and the other films, even if subtle.

I read this on SSF. I'm glad they are considering all Vader versions. I'll be getting all of them.

Jayspawn
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Not sure which version I prefer. I've always been partial to the ANH Vader so I may end up getting him. But what about an unmasked Jedi version? Hmmm...that is tempting.

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
To be honest, if I had known that they were going to do the other Vaders, I might have not preordered this one. I prefer the ESB version and lightsaber above the others. But I'm gonna stick with this one because it's monumental.

JediTricks
05-17-2009, 04:59 PM
The latest installment of confusion is upon us. This week's newsletter has a quiet little mention that Vader's ship date is now July.

Blue2th
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
You were correct JT, just got a notice Vader is arriving in 19 days to the Sideshow warehouse.

Gots to do some shuffling of the monies now if'n I still want it. :eek:

I've already forgotten what the exclusive part is. :cross-eye (nevermind it's the force choke hand)

JediTricks
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
That's weird, I got a notice today saying 18 days. :D

I post in news: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=2192

Yeah, exclusive hand that the figure really should have come with no matter what but makes an incredibly underwhelming exclusive.

I have no idea how I'm going to scrape up another $130 right now.

plasticfetish
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I have no idea how I'm going to scrape up another $130 right now.I just canceled mine. I'd have loved to get this one, but there are about 20 other things that I can put the money to right now.

...which means that someone on the waiting list will be getting an e-mail in time I suppose. ;)

Tycho
06-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Awesome! I'm on the wait-list, PlasticFetish!

jonthejedi
06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Had to cancel the 212th trooper, but I'm there for Vader. I was able to p/b the exclusive, even though I missed it on stormie.

Blue2th
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
It was "18" days. :cross-eye I don't make too good of a newsbot sometimes.

I was on the wait list for Vader cause I missed him, but got no official notification that he was added to my order, then I looked at my orders a while back he was on there. Someone must have cancelled early on or got rejected. I was bummed when I missed the PP, now I'm scrambling for the scratch.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I just canceled mine. I'd have loved to get this one, but there are about 20 other things that I can put the money to right now.

...which means that someone on the waiting list will be getting an e-mail in time I suppose. ;)I can't kill a Vader figure preorder I've had going 11 months, I just can't. I may have to sell something rare in my collection to make it happen though (which, I assure you, would be a massive first). The annoying thing is I'd sell ANH Vader here in a heartbeat if they did ESB Vader.

jonthejedi
06-17-2009, 03:52 AM
...be careful what you wish for!!!

plasticfetish
06-17-2009, 05:31 AM
I can't kill a Vader figure preorder I've had going 11 months, I just can't. I may have to sell something rare in my collection to make it happen though (which, I assure you, would be a massive first). The annoying thing is I'd sell ANH Vader here in a heartbeat if they did ESB Vader.It wasn't an easy call to make, but in the end, if I still want it a year or so from now, I'm pretty sure that I can find it on eBay. Isn't it a run of around 6500 or something like that for the "regular" version? That's not exactly a rarity.

JediTricks
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
...be careful what you wish for!!!
Oh, I know they have said they're gonna get to it now that they've done this, but it's the timing I meant. There's no way they are going to deliver an all-new Vader again in under 6 months.

PF, I was surprised to see that the Utapau Clone is already really hard to get even though it's not a rare run either, though it was under half as many as the 6500 for Vader.

Actually, I just checked on the Utapau, the SE is back in stock. Stupid timing, I really would like to have it but NO way I can afford it and Vader. If the tailoring on Vader isn't up to snuff though, I will demand my money back.

plasticfetish
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
PF, I was surprised to see that the Utapau Clone is already really hard to get even though it's not a rare run either, though it was under half as many as the 6500 for Vader.I'm pretty well convinced at this point, that nothing with a Star Wars logo on it is ever going to be hard to come by. There are so many of us collecting this stuff, and doing a fabulous job of keeping things in pristine condition, that most anything I could ever want will eventually be available.

If the tailoring on Vader isn't up to snuff though, I will demand my money back.I've gotta admit... that's probably why I gave it up so easily. I'm just more comfortable with spending money after I've heard a few reviews, or seen it in person. If it's great then I'll kick myself, but if it's only so-so, then I'd be kicking myself harder.

JediTricks
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty well convinced at this point, that nothing with a Star Wars logo on it is ever going to be hard to come by. There are so many of us collecting this stuff, and doing a fabulous job of keeping things in pristine condition, that most anything I could ever want will eventually be available.

I've gotta admit... that's probably why I gave it up so easily. I'm just more comfortable with spending money after I've heard a few reviews, or seen it in person. If it's great then I'll kick myself, but if it's only so-so, then I'd be kicking myself harder.
The thing is, the majority of this Vader's tailoring has always looked good. The bodysuit looks great. The cape looks very nice. But the vest/skirt material has always looked cheap since the day I saw it at Comic-Con, doesn't look right at all, and Sideshow's not done any new photos of this thing since then. If they can't deliver on that, then it's just back to waiting for ESB Vader, the design I prefer. There are no $125 "almost" figures in my life.

sergiurusu
06-19-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm receiving a new set of Stormtrooper hands, replacements, from Sideshow because the old ones the stormie first came with, are made of white plastic and painted black, and the paint rubs off. And Sideshow was kind enough to send these replacement hands for free, and these new ones are cast in black plastic, much better. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow, really? Are they asking you to send the old hands back? I want to do this, I believe mine are just barely showing trouble there.

sergiurusu
06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Wow, really? Are they asking you to send the old hands back? I want to do this, I believe mine are just barely showing trouble there.

Indeed. The package is already on its way to me and they sent hands for both my Stormies, the exclusive one bought from Sideshow and the regular I got from BBTS. Sideshow's customer service is really cool. You just need to write them an email message with the info about your original order of the stormtrooper and they will answer.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Lord Vader is processing tomorrow: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=2220

Blue2th
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Just got mine too. He better be worth it..it's gonna hurt.

I'm glad the Sandtrooper is not close to processing.

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
"He better be worth it", yeah, I'm the same way, this figure will be the quickest one to go back if it doesn't hold up to CLOSE scrutiny. There's no "almost" at these prices.

sergiurusu
06-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Got my notice as well.:yes:

jonthejedi
07-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Ditto that!

Blue2th
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I didn't want to but I had to cancel my order by phone this morning.
Operator said they were getting quite a few, so chances are they'll have some for the wait list.

First one I've had to cancel, but I just can't take the hit on my bank account this close to house payment time. :cry:

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I got my tracking number, it's going to arrive tomorrow! YAY!

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
It's at my mailbox place. I also just got the final pricetag, with tax and shipping it came to $147!!! Ugh, I have a feeling it's going to be VERY difficult to live up to that pricetag, and I'm going to ask for my money back. No matter how good, it can't be THAT good. ... Or can it?

Probably not, but I'll let you guys know what I think when I get home.

AmanaMatt
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Do you guys ever check out pics up at sideshow collectors....more pics that you know what to do with on Vader.....?

To me, he looks fantastic.

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I saw them last night while talking to a friend about the figure since I'm getting mine today. I saw that shot of the figure with a Stormtrooper, he's WAYYYYY taller than I expected, I hope that he's not too tall, if such a thing is possible. The pics are smaller than usual though, which is odd. The fabric looked ok in the photos but not quite what I was hoping, better than the proto but still not "realistic", we'll see in a few hours when I get to the mailbox.

BTW, I just got the Sideshow newsletter, it looks like the Exclusive is the only version they're getting in right now, and the regular edition is shipping sometime in the next 30 days (I'm guessing a week, but that's pure off-the-cuff guessing). That's pretty unusual to split shipping of exclusive/non-exclusive like that, and I guess it means anybody on the wait list for Vader non-exclusive (yes, it's presold all 6500 units) won't be hearing back for a bit longer than waiters on the exclusive.

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
First impressions:

Good from far, but far from perfect. The pricetag is a big reason why there are so many little criticisms, normally they'd be easier to overlook but when you get into Medicom RAH pricing territory and well out of SSC 12" pricing, you have to really consider where your money is going.

The figure is very tall, I am not sure if it's blatantly too tall (the stormtroopers are only up to his shoulders on the Tantive, yet Tarkin is seen with him as only a few inches shorter).
EDIT: later calculations (seen in the next few posts) confirm the figure is 8.8% too big.

The actual helmet sits too high up the "mask", revealing the eyebrows which weren't visible in ANH. This is dead wrong and greatly changes the accuracy of the figure despite being only a few millimeters wrong.

Chest box is kinda toy-looking, it's too tall and the features all have a slight softness to their sculpt and paint that says "toy". It's the figure's biggest inaccuracy after the helmet thing.ite being a relatively minor amount of height difference. The chest box on mine also doesn't seem to want to be angled straight, like the straps are out of position, but as they're under the shoulder armor, it's proving difficult to line up.

The exclusive Force-choke hand is absolutely wrong. There's no nice way to say it, it's the wrong friggin' sculpt. Someone decided to use the "you are part of the Rebel alliance and a traitor!" finger-pointing hand and I can only assume somewhere along the chain of command that information got lost. I just double-checked the DVD, the hand pose for the Leia scene is exactly the same while the Force choke has the thumb further out and the index finger much lower against the other fingers (which themselves aren't clenched against the palm in the scene).

The undersuit looks very nice even when moved. It relies on a lot of stitching, I've already noticed a blowout before even moving him, but I'm hoping it'll hold up over time because it does have the right look to it.

The joints are all tight, this is one figure that can hold his arms up easily. Ironic that it's one figure that doesn't hold any heavier accessories.

The cape opening is too small, it is stuck under the helmet keeping the chain totally hidden, when the whole cape collar should be able to flip up over the bottom of the mask and put the chain just above that mask's lip. Parts of the film don't have this, so it's technically accurate to them, but IMO it should have been able to do it right for the whole film.

The cape's satin lining looks fantastic and brings just the right contrast to the rest of the figure, but the cape's weight doesn't scale so it does need futzing a little. The cape's size is very good, you can fully cloak him in it

There are a lot of very little things, little pieces of flash and tooling cuts, a blown stitch on the right arm, a tiny paint bubble on the left lens, a loose thread in the skirt. None of them by themselves is even remotely a complainer, but together it makes a pattern. There's only 1 element that ensures it's going back on mine, a fairly noticeable paint blib on the armor trying to cover up 2 ugly dents.

The armor does limit mobility some, but it feels authentic... except that the legs are useless under the knee for posing, the boots ensure no articulation or movement.

The vest-skirt is pretty much the same as the prototype but somehow gets away with it better. The stitching is under control, but the cut is too wide, and the material is still too thick compared to the film version so it won't wrinkle or hug the way it needs to (they stitched some of this at the waist, but it gets totally lost). Pulling it tight does help a bit, but the material relaxes on its own just like the cape that tiny bit which keeps it from being just right.

The belt likes to ride up, it's always sitting too high, and there's a seam right where it should go that would show, kinda ugly.

On the asynchronous elements of the helmet a bit, they actually painted the matte elements a very dark gray like it was in the film, but in the wrong light the figure doesn't get away with it. The little pip at the bottom of the right side of the "mouth" is unpainted, while in the film it was simply darker than the one on the left.

The hands are very big, very well sculpted and realized, but not much play for articulation, can mainly just rotate, not angle. Besides the aforementioned "naughty child" finger pose pretending to be the Force, there's standard saber-grasp hands, closed fists, and an open palm that reads more like "I am your father" which is the wrong movie (although palm-down it has movie theatrics all its own like something you'd see in a promotional photo, or you could call it a Force gesture but not one from the films... hmm, actually you could look at it as the gesture pulling boxes).

The lightsaber on and off are very good, very accurate, and while it's difficult to get the handle into his hands and they're not loose enough to mess with the fine-tuning of that holding, it does look pretty authentic to the movie.

So far, there's no question mine has to go back for replacement, at this price there's no excuse for sloppy paint. I am hoping the helmet I get in return will be built properly, but I'm not counting on it. The only question is "will it go back for replacement or refund?" The answer is unclear, my guess is the former, but I'm going to wait a few days until the holiday is over at least to hopefully see some more photos of others to see if the helmet height problem is addressed (the production sample on SSC isn't as bad, but those are sometimes only 90% production).

I would give this an early grade of "A minus", but taking the pricetag into account it's very hard to give it anything over a "B" because there are a number of little things and a double bigger ones which make this a hard pill to swallow at $147 - $155 delivered.

EDIT: Apparently there's some confusion on the grade this "first impressions" set of comments mentions. I have bolded the original grade I gave it which was no higher than a "B" and have clarified why in post #199, but I'd like to point out that none of this is my full review or final grade.

JediTricks
07-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Well, I just boxed him back up and sent in my replacement request. I suspect I'll take him back out of the box again before I send him off, he poses pretty well. However, I put Obi-Wan next to him and it's ridiculous, this Vader is easily 15% bigger than he should be. I'll take some measurements tomorrow morning or Sunday and I'm sure he's going to come up at least 15" tall, maybe even 16". The problem is that while that makes for a fantastics display by itself, in scale Vader's 6 foot 7 inch frame would only be 13.2 inches tall. If the figure is 16 inches tall, that's 25% taller than it should be.

AmanaMatt
07-04-2009, 10:03 AM
prowse was 6'10" in costume.......the stormie dudes were 6'3" so I am not sure if this version is too tall or not....he's within 5" of Chewbacca...

jedibear
07-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, JT....I'm stunned. Nearly a year wait, and your comments on this figure make it sound like a real downer. That's unfortunate....

The only issues I've seen from pics on other sites so far are...the arms seem a bit too long (a normal Sideshow trait it seems) and the helmet looks a little small in some shots...but it could just be the angle. It also looks like the cape needs some careful futzing...folks have been posting shots of him right out of the box and it looks pretty crumpled up from shipping....that's not a major thing though...I always futz with the figures upon arrival.

Had to cancel this a few months back and got on the WL. I'm still hoping my WL for the ex converts into an order....it's Darth Vader!

None of the pics I've seen so far make him look like a total disaster to me, so...I'm hopeful that if I do manage to get him, I'll like the figure...

JediTricks
07-04-2009, 04:12 PM
So, I just measured the Vader figure. He stands 14 and 7/16 inches tall, or 14.4375". At 1:6 scale, that's a height of 86.625", or 7' 2" and change. I just cued up ANH, Vader's not standing 6' 10" in the film compared to Leia, Tarkin, or Obi-Wan (whom we all have established heights on), the film jives better with the official 6' 7" height. Wookieepedia says that SW.com databank lists him as only 6' 6" in the armor, but I suspect they're playing with the numbers because of Hayden's shorter height than Prowse. BTW, Prowse is 6' 5", and Vader isn't wearing elevator shoes in the movie, he's wearing regular boots with regular heels, even if he were wearing lifts as well, you're talking about another 3-4" of height due to the helmet to get him to 6' 10", and it's not that way, it stops just above the crown of his head.

So, let's play with the scaling of these numbers...
Prowse's height of 6' 5" scaled: 12.83"
Vader's height of 6' 7" scaled: 13.17"
claimed 6' 10" scaled: 13.67"
(figure is still 3/4s of an inch taller than that claim)

figure's 14.43" height scaled up: 7' 2"

difference between official pre-Hayden height and figure's actual 1:6 scale height: 7"
7" unscaled difference: 1.17"
Sideshow's Vader difference: 8.8% taller

That's a lot more height! Chewbacca is only 7' 4", is Sideshow saying Vader is a mere 2" shorter than Chewie? Does anybody believe that to be accurate? There's no height claim that makes it work, not the old official 6' 7", not the new 6' 6", not even Matt's claim of 6' 10". The figure is just massive, too big, no way around it.

JB, it's only my preliminary take, my first impressions. I always knew this was going to be a hard sell no matter what, so it may not be how I feel in the longterm. That said, there are some hard facts in there and truthful impressions that are more difficult to write off that way - the helmet height off the mask, the cape opening, the oversized body, the incorrect pose on the exclusive hand, and the underwhelming chest box do seem like "truths" that won't change in time.

I've heard that "arms are too long" claim from a few other folks, and I honestly don't see it. Check out this ANH pic: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/2c/VaderTantive4.jpg
Vader's hands stop at the upper thigh, just below the codpiece. Now look at the Sideshow's arm length here:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2129_press02-001.jpg
I'd definitely argue that the arms are properly scaled to this body, unlike most Sideshow figures.

(That ANH photo also shows the size problem though when compared to this:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2129_press07-001.jpg )

The helmet is a curiosity, I think the problem is simply that it's sitting too high, Vader wears the helmet over the mask's brow in ANH and it makes it look wider across the face and lower on the shoulders. The Sideshow version meanwhile is higher on the face and looks smaller, and definitely isn't anywhere close enough at the shoulders, but in person it doesn't seem smaller from most angles.

The cape isn't crumpled in shipping, it has 2 sharp wrinkles but is otherwise quite smooth. After being out of the box a little, the ends start to roll up a bit (same with the vest-skirt), but nothing other than that. I suspect this will be a figure that requires a lot of work to futz with only because the cloth is VERY stiff, and the satin lining of the cape won't take well to water.

Good luck getting yours!

AmanaMatt
07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
As for my 6'10" comment; I met prowse years ago and asked him how tall he was....I thought he had said that height with the boots all on....but I may be misremembering....I just remember thinking, 'darn, that is pretty tall' at the time

I suspect I will love mine overall.....the helmet is the only issue I am having, based on pics seen

JT, your're famous...someone referenced your impressions with the Sideshow Collectors board....the Star Destroyers are on their way to you now........

Turbowars
07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
First impressions:

Good from far, but far from perfect. The pricetag is a big reason why there are so many little criticisms, normally they'd be easier to overlook but when you get into Medicom RAH pricing territory and well out of SSC 12" pricing, you have to really consider where your money is going.

The figure is very tall, I am not sure if it's blatantly too tall (the stormtroopers are only up to his shoulders on the Tantive, yet Tarkin is seen with him as only a few inches shorter).

The actual helmet sits too high up the "mask", revealing the eyebrows which weren't visible in ANH. This is dead wrong and greatly changes the accuracy of the figure despite being only a few millimeters wrong.

Chest box is kinda toy-looking, it's too tall and the features all have a slight softness to their sculpt and paint that says "toy". It's the figure's biggest inaccuracy after the helmet thing.ite being a relatively minor amount of height difference. The chest box on mine also doesn't seem to want to be angled straight, like the straps are out of position, but as they're under the shoulder armor, it's proving difficult to line up.

The exclusive Force-choke hand is absolutely wrong. There's no nice way to say it, it's the wrong friggin' sculpt. Someone decided to use the "you are part of the Rebel alliance and a traitor!" finger-pointing hand and I can only assume somewhere along the chain of command that information got lost. I just double-checked the DVD, the hand pose for the Leia scene is exactly the same while the Force choke has the thumb further out and the index finger much lower against the other fingers (which themselves aren't clenched against the palm in the scene).

The undersuit looks very nice even when moved. It relies on a lot of stitching, I've already noticed a blowout before even moving him, but I'm hoping it'll hold up over time because it does have the right look to it.

The joints are all tight, this is one figure that can hold his arms up easily. Ironic that it's one figure that doesn't hold any heavier accessories.

The cape opening is too small, it is stuck under the helmet keeping the chain totally hidden, when the whole cape collar should be able to flip up over the bottom of the mask and put the chain just above that mask's lip. Parts of the film don't have this, so it's technically accurate to them, but IMO it should have been able to do it right for the whole film.

The cape's satin lining looks fantastic and brings just the right contrast to the rest of the figure, but the cape's weight doesn't scale so it does need futzing a little. The cape's size is very good, you can fully cloak him in it

There are a lot of very little things, little pieces of flash and tooling cuts, a blown stitch on the right arm, a tiny paint bubble on the left lens, a loose thread in the skirt. None of them by themselves is even remotely a complainer, but together it makes a pattern. There's only 1 element that ensures it's going back on mine, a fairly noticeable paint blib on the armor trying to cover up 2 ugly dents.

The armor does limit mobility some, but it feels authentic... except that the legs are useless under the knee for posing, the boots ensure no articulation or movement.

The vest-skirt is pretty much the same as the prototype but somehow gets away with it better. The stitching is under control, but the cut is too wide, and the material is still too thick compared to the film version so it won't wrinkle or hug the way it needs to (they stitched some of this at the waist, but it gets totally lost). Pulling it tight does help a bit, but the material relaxes on its own just like the cape that tiny bit which keeps it from being just right.

The belt likes to ride up, it's always sitting too high, and there's a seam right where it should go that would show, kinda ugly.

On the asynchronous elements of the helmet a bit, they actually painted the matte elements a very dark gray like it was in the film, but in the wrong light the figure doesn't get away with it. The little pip at the bottom of the right side of the "mouth" is unpainted, while in the film it was simply darker than the one on the left.

The hands are very big, very well sculpted and realized, but not much play for articulation, can mainly just rotate, not angle. Besides the aforementioned "naughty child" finger pose pretending to be the Force, there's standard saber-grasp hands, closed fists, and an open palm that reads more like "I am your father" which is the wrong movie (although palm-down it has movie theatrics all its own like something you'd see in a promotional photo, or you could call it a Force gesture but not one from the films... hmm, actually you could look at it as the gesture pulling boxes).

The lightsaber on and off are very good, very accurate, and while it's difficult to get the handle into his hands and they're not loose enough to mess with the fine-tuning of that holding, it does look pretty authentic to the movie.

So far, there's no question mine has to go back for replacement, at this price there's no excuse for sloppy paint. I am hoping the helmet I get in return will be built properly, but I'm not counting on it. The only question is "will it go back for replacement or refund?" The answer is unclear, my guess is the former, but I'm going to wait a few days until the holiday is over at least to hopefully see some more photos of others to see if the helmet height problem is addressed (the production sample on SSC isn't as bad, but those are sometimes only 90% production).

I would give this an early grade of "A minus", but taking the pricetag into account it's very hard to give it anything over a "B" because there are a number of little things and a double bigger ones which make this a hard pill to swallow at $147 - $155 delivered.
Wow Mike, sounds like Vader sucks. Your review reads as a C- but you put an A-, what gives?

plasticfetish
07-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow Mike, sounds like Vader sucks. Your review reads as a C- but you put an A-, what gives?That's funny... I was gonna say that too.

(edit)

I've gotta say though, I read this comment over at that Sideshow forum...

Plus it seems as though the responsible thing would've been to wait until the replacement arrived to give his final score.

...and kind of laughed. There aren't many situations in life where someone is allowed to come up with a perfect "whatever" before they're either critiqued or graded. Imagine if it worked that way for a restaurant critic. "Yeah, the meal was terrible, but I told them I was writing a review, and they said that if I called first, they'd make sure the food was perfect next time."

Factory flaws are a problem that all companies deal with. Sideshow is marketing a product to collectors that inherently (Star Wars fan or not) expect something nearly perfect. If they can't produce a product that is close to 100% without flaws, then they should either find new means of production, or quit marketing their products as being "high end collectibles."

...especially if the only thing that's "high end" about them is the price.

Turbowars
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
If they can't produce a product that is close to 100% without flaws, then they should either find new means of production, or quit marketing their products as being "high end collectibles."

...especially if the only thing that's "high end" about them is the price.So true so true!!!!!!!!

JediTricks
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
As for my 6'10" comment; I met prowse years ago and asked him how tall he was....I thought he had said that height with the boots all on....but I may be misremembering....I just remember thinking, 'darn, that is pretty tall' at the timeI wouldn't be surprised if he said it but was just shooting from the hip on the whole matter.

JT, your're famous...someone referenced your impressions with the Sideshow Collectors board....the Star Destroyers are on their way to you now........Weird, I wonder why they give a crap about my opinion since I'm sure in their eyes I'm a total "hater", what with me being in touch with reality and all. :p

Wow Mike, sounds like Vader sucks. Your review reads as a C- but you put an A-, what gives?Prioritization. The chest box and helmet are varyingly significant issues, but the body size isn't as much of a big deal if you play with the context and poses, the cape opening thing is a little frustrating but not even entirely inaccurate for parts of the film. The hand is just mis-named and not quite as cool as it should have been (because it's chiding rather than choking ;)), but it's accurate to a different part of the film and well executed to it. Compare that to the fantastic body suit, the strong articulation, the great cape overall, the good looks of the boots and gloves, and mask itself -- taking all that it's definitely balanced past the midpoint grading. I gave it a preliminary "no higher than a B" by the way, the "A-" you cite was the grade I might have given it if it had cost less, and that was an early impression.

Look at it this way...
Pros:

great body suit design
great overall cape
great boots (visually anyway)
great gloves
great belt boxes
tight articulation
pretty nice mask
good lightsaber(s)
good armor overall
figure proportions are very good (no long arms)

Cons:

helmet sits too high on the mask
chest box is too tall and toyetic
figure is too big, 8.8% is a lot
cape opening is too small
exclusive hand is the chastising pose rather than the choking pose
vest-skirt cloth is a little too wide and material is too strong to hang nicely

I think the pros outweigh the cons enough to warrant a "B" at this point, maybe "B minus" depending on how much interacting you want it to do with other figures. If it was the price of the stormtrooper, I *might* go higher, but I might not after a few days thinking about it. (It helps that it's the only 1:6 scale Vader in the US market as it's definitely lightyears better than the Hasbro entries.)

And of course, Turbo, you should probably wait until the ESB figure they'll likely do, as that one will have the more iconic look and will hopefully address some of the issues. The ANH Vader look isn't as cool as ESB.

That's funny... I was gonna say that too.It was my FIRST IMPRESSIONS, not a professional write-up. You want hi-res photos and a professional review? PAY ME! :p J/k, I just didn't have the time, and wasn't sure how I felt yet, and I don't really have a place for taking photos right now, nor a lighting rig that is easy to set up. Plus, I know better than to write a full review based on only the earliest impressions, esepecially after the Maul thing (I didn't post a review in the news here but did share my initial feelings in the forums).

I've gotta say though, I read this comment over at that Sideshow forum...

Plus it seems as though the responsible thing would've been to wait until the replacement arrived to give his final score. ...and kind of laughed. There aren't many situations in life where someone is allowed to come up with a perfect "whatever" before they're either critiqued or graded. Imagine if it worked that way for a restaurant critic. "Yeah, the meal was terrible, but I told them I was writing a review, and they said that if I called first, they'd make sure the food was perfect next time."

Factory flaws are a problem that all companies deal with. Sideshow is marketing a product to collectors that inherently (Star Wars fan or not) expect something nearly perfect. If they can't produce a product that is close to 100% without flaws, then they should either find new means of production, or quit marketing their products as being "high end collectibles."

...especially if the only thing that's "high end" about them is the price.Ugh, they're ridiculous, the people over there who go after anybody who doesn't fit their narrow world view, anything to make their precious Sideshow look perfect, huh? Any excuse to bash anybody who doesn't agree with their take. It's a cliche almost to hear that some folks at Sideshow Freaks are dumping on anything said negative. I mean, c'mon, get serious, the first friggin' thing I said in my comments was that it was my FIRST IMPRESSIONS. I didn't even KNOW it had individual paint issues until I got partway into my comments. And I'm pretty sure I can be objective about what the thing will look like without those paint errors, wow, all I have to do is imagine what NOT having a paint bubble on the lens and a big blop on the shoulder armor will look like. I didn't even cite Sideshow for delivering a sub-standard item despite now having to make me go through the trouble of sending it back and not having Vader for weeks. And it's going to be a huge pain for me to deal with that second one because it'll probably not arrive until I'm at Comic-Con, which is a huge scam IMO, this "30 days that's not really 30 days because it counts door-to-door and transit time." Oops, there I go not worshipping Sideshow's every move again. ;)

And you are ABSOLUTELY right that my review should be of a regular sample, not of their most hand-picked perfect version. Unless everybody's getting a perfect one on their first try, that's unrealistic and unfair to anybody making the decision of whether or not to buy it based even partly on my comments.

So now that I've broken down my early impressions into the basic components, what do you think of my take on the matter?

EDIT: Just looked over there, I'd give Pixeltwin a bunch of crap for misreading my final grade, but Turbowars made the same mistake and he's my homie, so umm... nah, screw it, both of y'all need to LEARN TO READ!!! :D Pixeltwin can eat it for calling my first-impressions review crappy, I think I covered a ton of ground that virtually nobody else has the fortitude to say right now, and it's true. Nice to see some SSG buddies over there keeping the faith though. :thumbsup:

Jedibear, I have a small dirty suck-hole of an apartment and a crappy camera. My lights, photo equipment, and good cameras are all elsewhere, so I tend to not waste your time or mine by taking inferior pics (plus I'm lazy). If you want to see specifics, I suppose I could blast out a few shots, but they'll be "brutally honest" photos, I don't do glamor shots, I'm all about the honest lens.

jedibear
07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Ugh, they're ridiculous, the people over there who go after anybody who doesn't fit their narrow world view, anything to make their precious Sideshow look perfect, huh? Any excuse to bash anybody who doesn't agree with their take. basic components, what do you think of my take on the matter?

Not all of us that post there carry on that way. I mod the SW board there and yes, it's a workout sifting through the negativity and personal attacks, but there are some good folk who just want to enjoy and discuss the figures...

JT, I always find your POV a good read....don't always agree with all of it, but everyone has different criteria for what makes a figure work for them or not. If anything, your comments make me take notice of things I may not have considered about the figure...again, I don't always agree with you...but I enjoy the discussion...

I enjoy Sideshow's figures a lot...are they perfect and above criticism? Of course not...I've got my own set of "regular" issues with them I hope will get addressed some day....some figures really work others are just alright.

Your in-depth look at Vader....most certainly one of the most awaited figures in the SW line that Sideshow has produced, will make me look at it a little more intently than I might have if I'm lucky enough to get one....

Keep those comments coming....always looking forward to them.

JediTricks
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Not all of us that post there carry on that way. I mod the SW board there and yes, it's a workout sifting through the negativity and personal attacks, but there are some good folk who just want to enjoy and discuss the figures...I know, that's why I tried to direct it towards those utter worshipers only, just the "people over there who go after" anybody who don't agree with them. I could have backed off my comments a little better I suppose, I was trying to express the whole thing as quickly as possible while still being diplomatic and some diplomacy does get lost that way.

JT, I always find your POV a good read....don't always agree with all of it, but everyone has different criteria for what makes a figure work for them or not. If anything, your comments make me take notice of things I may not have considered about the figure...again, I don't always agree with you...but I enjoy the discussion...Understood, and I always appreciate reading comments that have different POVs, although only when they actually have stuff to defend their beliefs. There are too many folks who will just say "it's great, you're wrong" without any thought to why they claim that, I hate blind devotion used as a blunt weapon.

This time around, I think I've presented a good set of facts and grounded beliefs with this one though rather than a lot of personal opinions, and with my clarification have put them in more perspective.

I enjoy Sideshow's figures a lot...are they perfect and above criticism? Of course not...I've got my own set of "regular" issues with them I hope will get addressed some day....some figures really work others are just alright.Yeah, same here, I think the only one I'm really disappointed in from the ones I own is Bespin Han, the rest I like enough - although their increasing price tags has definitely got me thinking about them more closely than I normally would - ROTJ Luke gets a pretty easy grade from me compared to ANH Luke, for example. Heck, I'm one of the only collectors out there who likes their ANH Leia.

I won't apologize for being hard on Sideshow for their business practice mistakes though. Every botched priority pre-order, every moved schedule so several figures come out within weeks of each other, any thing like that which hurts the collecting and collectors, that is going to get a harsh word from me because I feel it's earned, especially at the high pricepoints their items carry.

Your in-depth look at Vader....most certainly one of the most awaited figures in the SW line that Sideshow has produced, will make me look at it a little more intently than I might have if I'm lucky enough to get one....

Keep those comments coming....always looking forward to them.Sure thing, and I was serious about the pics, if you want to see something specific, LMK and I'll see what I can do. I don't have a lot of flat surface space right now, so it may be a shot on the bathroom floor. :p

And good luck getting one!

plasticfetish
07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
So now that I've broken down my early impressions into the basic components, what do you think of my take on the matter?Your pros and cons are pretty much what I'd expect from Sideshow. I don't see anything surprising... except perhaps the proportion thing. I've yet to see any decent comparison photos that convince me one way or the other with that though. For me it was all about how he'd look with ANH Obi-Wan, which I picked up a bit ago for a great price ($30) and really like, so I'll wait to see what those photos look like as they roll in.

BTW, it's sounding as though a "B" is a very fair grade... especially for a $150 purchase.

AmanaMatt
07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I would agree with JT here in regards to Bespin Han: he is a total mess....just awful.....

I cannot wait to get this one myself, but as good as this one is for a production piece, the true 'piece' in my collection will be a custom ANH Vader I am having made from a nice gent in the UK....wont be here until next year, but that will be dead on screen accurate...

Little tidbit I learned, in some shots, one of Vader's 'tusks' is actually black! pics posted at the SS boards....and like the tie pilot differents JB posted some time back, I had never noticed....

JediTricks
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I would agree with JT here in regards to Bespin Han: he is a total mess....just awful.....I can't remember anybody defending that turkey much. I should have sent mine back, but it was early in the line and I was excited to have an exclusive.
BTW, here's what I have in the line to compare that "Bespin Han is the only one I regret" comment (all of these are SE):

- Luke ROTJ
- Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS
- Han Bespin
- Qui-Gon Jinn
- Anakin "Darth Vader" SDCC '06 exclusive
- Darth Maul
- Leia Boushh
- Asajj Ventress
- Leia ANH
- Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH
- Luke Bespin
- Han ANH
- Luke Tatooine ANH
- Stormtrooper
- Darth Vader

As well, I also own the following:

- Indiana Jones (non-exclusive)
- Sith Probe Droids (inclusive)
- Dejarik Holochess set (non-exclusive)
- LOTR Aragorn (non-exclusive)
- LOTR Legolas (exclusive)
- LOTR Gandalf (exclusive)

And Han Bespin is the only one I regret out of those 21 Sideshow 1:6 purchases! :p

I cannot wait to get this one myself, but as good as this one is for a production piece, the true 'piece' in my collection will be a custom ANH Vader I am having made from a nice gent in the UK....wont be here until next year, but that will be dead on screen accurate...What scale? Another 1:6 or something bigger?

Little tidbit I learned, in some shots, one of Vader's 'tusks' is actually black! pics posted at the SS boards....and like the tie pilot differents JB posted some time back, I had never noticed....Could have learned that from my first impressions post, since I mentioned it's darker than the other in the movie. :p It's not black in the film though, it's darker silver.

jonthejedi
07-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Still no ship notice on the Dark Lord.

AmanaMatt
07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Still no ship notice on the Dark Lord.

Me neither; my CC hasnt been charged..normally, my shipping notice is a few days after Ca people; not a week plus later :upset:

sergiurusu
07-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I received my replacement hands for both my Stormtroopers: the exclusive ordered directly from Sideshow and the regular received from BBTS. Sideshow sent my package with the replacement hands for the Stormtooper to Norway instead of Romania LOL. At least the postal code and the rest of the address worked fine and it arrived to me. But still great customer service!

My Vader is scheduled to arrive next week :)

jonthejedi
07-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Good for you! I ordered the exclusive "choking" hand version...still haven't heard anything from Sideshow???

Jayspawn
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
A buddy of mine JUST got his shipping notice for the Exclusive Vader -so hang in there.

The only thing holding me back from getting Vader is the incredibly small head. The sculpt is great but the dome itself is way too small and I dont have time at present to upgrade it.

AmanaMatt
07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I just got charged (via my CC) today...Lol, and I ordered it day one

dr_evazan22
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
A couple of days ago I ended up calling SS... I thought that ALL the charges were supposed to be done the same day. She told me that they weren't, that they still had a ton to go thru.

Its supposed to arrive on 7/14.

JediTricks
07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I received my replacement hands for both my Stormtroopers: the exclusive ordered directly from Sideshow and the regular received from BBTS. Sideshow sent my package with the replacement hands for the Stormtooper to Norway instead of Romania LOL. At least the postal code and the rest of the address worked fine and it arrived to me. But still great customer service!

My Vader is scheduled to arrive next week :)

NORWAY?!?! Too funny!

sergiurusu
07-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Good for you! I ordered the exclusive "choking" hand version...still haven't heard anything from Sideshow???

I'm getting the exclusive Vader as well and in 16th it should be in Romania

Tycho
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I saw my friend's Darth Vader - my order hasn't been cleared yet because I'm on the wait-list - but this figure is awesome! I think they did a really nice job.

AmanaMatt
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
My Vader just shipped - will have it Next Tues...cant wait

jonthejedi
07-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Just got my UPS notice...should have Lord Vader on Friday.

AmanaMatt
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Got my Vader today...aside from being really, really TALL, I dig him a lot....the helmet dome seems small, but all-in-all, he's awesome

JediTricks
07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Glad to hear you got yours and dig it, Matt!

Rebelscum posted their photos of this figure, as well as the figure alongside various SSC 12" figures, the SSC premium format Vader, another figure which I'm guessing is the Medicom, and some disassembled shots including the body without helmet or suit:
http://www.rebelscum.com/SSC16vader.asp

Damn is that figure tall across from Obi-Wan! And the ANH scene shots with Leia and the Stormie and officer, yikes.

What's that netting around the lowest leg section of the undersuit?

The mask and helmet design comparison from premium to 12" is a big teller of what's not right on 12" helmet. I hadn't stopped to realize that the mask itself is too large, as well as the helmet being too small, so it's an odd combination that is definitely more akin to the ESB/ROTJ helmet.

The premium format figure is on a thick base, while the 12" is freestanding. Keeping in mind that the PF is 1:4 scale and the 12" is supposed to be 1:6 scale, there should be a major height difference between them, but taking the base into account he comes up to around the PF's eyebrow line, that's nowhere near enough difference because the 12" is way too tall. For me, that confirms that when I get the replacement, it'll be treated as a stand-alone item rather than put in any context with other figures.

sergiurusu
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Sideshow 1:6 Darth Vader figure review at mwctoys (http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_071509a.htm)

AmanaMatt
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Glad to hear you got yours and dig it, Matt!

Thanks, JT....yeah, he has issues, but all-in-all, the positives outweigh the negatives by a large margin!

sergiurusu
07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I received my Vader figure and I can say I'm really disappointed. I paid a lot for this and it has problems. Not talking here about its design which is cool, but the quality in materials used. I have both Medicom Vaders but this didn't happen to any of them. The chest box straps are broken/damaged (leather too thin or crappy), the crotch armor is flying away (no glue on this) and he has "removable" helmet (the removable helmet is ok from my POV)

Very disappointed of how they made this figure, hope one day Hot Toys alone will make THE VADER. I hope to be able to exchange this figure or at least to get my money back - and I paid to my nose on fracking customs for this crap... :(

Just look at the pictures below they say 1000 words

jonthejedi
07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Is that the condition it arrived in? OMG!

JediTricks
07-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I received my Vader figure and I can say I'm really disappointed. I paid a lot for this and it has problems. Not talking here about its design which is cool, but the quality in materials used. I have both Medicom Vaders but this didn't happen to any of them. The chest box straps are broken/damaged (leather too thin or crappy), the crotch armor is flying away (no glue on this) and he has "removable" helmet (the removable helmet is ok from my POV)Sorry to hear yours had so many problems, that's a real bummer since you're in a country it's going to be hard to get replacement parts for.

I'm not surprised the chest box had troubles, I could tell the straps on the one I had were going to give up if I tried to adjust angle on mine. Didn't think about the codpiece having the same problem, but it's the same straps so it would. It sounds like yours got over-heated and it killed the glue on a bunch of parts.

Seeing your pictures though, I truly don't think Sideshow sent it out that way, I suspect someone at customs actually messed it up by handling it. That is really really bad, and the way the bodysuit is rumpled and the vest-skirt pushed back, the way the cape is set in the package, I truly think someone handled this figure before you and was too rough with the figure.

sergiurusu
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry to hear yours had so many problems, that's a real bummer since you're in a country it's going to be hard to get replacement parts for.

I'm not surprised the chest box had troubles, I could tell the straps on the one I had were going to give up if I tried to adjust angle on mine. Didn't think about the codpiece having the same problem, but it's the same straps so it would. It sounds like yours got over-heated and it killed the glue on a bunch of parts.

Seeing your pictures though, I truly don't think Sideshow sent it out that way, I suspect someone at customs actually messed it up by handling it. That is really really bad, and the way the bodysuit is rumpled and the vest-skirt pushed back, the way the cape is set in the package, I truly think someone handled this figure before you and was too rough with the figure.

Thanks. That is exactly what I thought too. They open the figures in customs, but if send by FedEx the figures are opened in Bucharest (500 km from my city). If the package was sent by USPS Express Mail there is a customs office in my town where you are asked to be present when opening up the packages. That's why it would be cool if SS could let the customers choose shipping method. I always choose Express Mail: fast, with insurance, with tracking number and local customs office.

Vader was the most important figure for me this year, together with the Stormtrooper - you know I love Imperials :). And he really looks cool, SS did a great job on him. But arrived in the condition you seen. It seems Jaclyn at SS asked me to destroy Vader and they will ship a new one. I'll post these pics when arriving home. See Jaclyn email message below:

Dear Sergiu,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sideshow Collectibles and provide the requested photos. I’m so sorry to see that your collectible arrived damaged.

I have looked into our available inventory and have booked you a replacement order for the 12” Darth Vader Exclusive. At this time we ask that you please destroy your piece as it is not necessary to return your statue. Please read the precautions listed below before destroying your item. After you have destroyed your statue, please be sure to provide .jpg formatted photos in a return email to us. Upon receipt of the requested photos, your replacement piece will be shipped out to you at no additional charge. We ask that you provide photos within the next five business days or by 07/23/09.

Best regards,

Jaclyn Yudkowsky
Customer Service Representative

Sideshow Collectibles
2630 Conejo Spectrum Street
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 USA

jonthejedi
07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Mine arrived today in really great shape...nothing shifted. Hard to get used to a 1/6th scale Dark Lord that's actually a full head taller than the stormtrooper. I like the multi-tone paint job on the helmet...it kinda matches the scaled down Riddell one I have from years past. The stitching on mine was excellent. I chose the force hand over the so-called choke hand. Vader stands proud in my Ikea case(with about 3/4" to spare.

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 12:45 AM
My replacement Vader arrived today. No paint problems this time, and the helmet sits lower on the mask -- though still inaccurately too high, but I'll forgive, it looks way better than my first, which you can see here:
http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helmet.jpg
(It looks like a bad Rubies costume, or Darth Vader's slow little brother who they don't talk about at family gatherings.)

If you were wondering, here's images of the paint problems on the original (the chest paint blob looked more obvious in person but was difficult to photograph):
http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lens2h.jpg
http://img200.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lensb.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=armoroqs.jpg

Anyway, the replacement looks way better, but the vest-skirt has an issue that the first one didn't, the arm holes are noticeably smaller and don't fit over the armor, they're very tight so it cannot go completely over the armor the way it did in the film. That said, since Vader's helmet is already inaccurate to ANH, I'm thinking of putting the vest-skirt under the armor a la ESB/ROTJ and giving this figure a more "all around Vader" feel so it's not a huge issue.The cape opening is also a little tiny bit smaller than the first one I had, but as they're both too small, it's really not a huge difference. On my new one, there is a very fine flaw on the helmet and on the paint of the right "cheek" just under the eye, and I just noticed a small scratch in the helmet thanks to the camera flash, but they're within my tolerance of "not enough of an issue", I wouldn't send it back for them.

As for my final grade, I'm going to classify it like this:

Very good, I've detailed previously what works (armor sculpt, body proportions, cape, mask, paint, articulation strength, body suit, gloves, boots, lightsaber). However, points off for over-scale design, ANH-inaccurate helmet, plus a few nitpicks like slightly oversized and plasticky-looking chest box, vest-skirt material is too strong so it doesn't scale down as well as this costume needs it to, cape opening is too small, exclusive hand is representing something else, no ankle articulation. So...
- If you don't care about money at all: A-
- If you do care about money and want a great 12"-scale Vader, or you are building displays with other SSC 12" figures: B
- If you want to diorama build and are money-conscious: B- (or weaker depending on how important scale and/or money is to you)

By the way, I have had a specific pose in mind for my figure ever since I put the first one back in the box to send back to SSC. I haven't gotten the legs down as much as I want, not really sure how to go and didn't have space to stand it up on my desk any wider. So here it is, for all you guys who asked for pics (this is why I don't photograph more often: bad light, messy room, flash ruins the accuracy of the shot, and no surface to shoot on means lots of similar angles):
http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0004f.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0005f.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0007al.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0008ab.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0009a.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0010au.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0011a.jpg

In the photos above, there are a lot where I took the shot one way, with the flash down, and then tried again with the flash up. None capture it right though because I'm too close and the lighting is not natural based on what the figure is actually doing. Revealing that scratch made me a bit annoyed.

The legs need to be WAY more dynamic in the pose, no question. I wanted a dynamic cape but without a wire and without a fan, that wasn't happening. I tried it with the cape on the arm, but it just looked kinda Dracula-esque.

Interestingly, I wanted to see what was going on with the vest-skirt arm holes, originally incorrectly thinking something else was going on. I removed the head, cape, and belt, then worked the vest-skirt off the right arm. By then I realized it was simply sewn smaller, but I figured I was already in deep enough to see what else was going on. After getting the vest off, the shoulder armor slid right up, the shoulder pads are held onto this with elastic. Under that, there's a very small dickey that goes between the neck and the helmet which is sorta easy to lose as it just falls off. Then there's the chest box, and that's where I stopped, it's strapped with a very tiny clip around the back and then hooked over, this was a great way to adjust the chest box down. I didn't bother photographing it in this state since there are better and more complete disassembled shots out there already. Getting everything back was fairly easy, although I almost missed putting the belt outside the vest. The codpiece really looks ridiculous with the vest off, and the whole getup made me wonder how much annoyance it was for poor David Prowse to don this costume every day during shooting.

Thanks. That is exactly what I thought too. They open the figures in customs, but if send by FedEx the figures are opened in Bucharest (500 km from my city). If the package was sent by USPS Express Mail there is a customs office in my town where you are asked to be present when opening up the packages. That's why it would be cool if SS could let the customers choose shipping method. I always choose Express Mail: fast, with insurance, with tracking number and local customs office. Sideshow doesn't do USPS even here in the US, but I think your figure came from their European warehouse so it'd be even less possible.

Vader was the most important figure for me this year, together with the Stormtrooper - you know I love Imperials :). And he really looks cool, SS did a great job on him. But arrived in the condition you seen. It seems Jaclyn at SS asked me to destroy Vader and they will ship a new one. I'll post these pics when arriving home. See Jaclyn email message below:Wow, that's great, but crazy too! I think Customs destroyed it for you. ;)

Dear Sergiu,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sideshow Collectibles and provide the requested photos. I’m so sorry to see that your collectible arrived damaged.

I have looked into our available inventory and have booked you a replacement order for the 12” Darth Vader Exclusive. At this time we ask that you please destroy your piece as it is not necessary to return your statue. Please read the precautions listed below before destroying your item. After you have destroyed your statue, please be sure to provide .jpg formatted photos in a return email to us. Upon receipt of the requested photos, your replacement piece will be shipped out to you at no additional charge. We ask that you provide photos within the next five business days or by 07/23/09.

Best regards,

Jaclyn Yudkowsky
Customer Service Representative

Sideshow Collectibles
2630 Conejo Spectrum Street
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 USAPretty cool that they're replacing it and they want you to beat the hell out of it first, make sure to post those pics. I also get my RMA emails from Jaclyn by the way, going all the way back to at 2007 at least.

Mine arrived today in really great shape...nothing shifted. Hard to get used to a 1/6th scale Dark Lord that's actually a full head taller than the stormtrooper. I like the multi-tone paint job on the helmet...it kinda matches the scaled down Riddell one I have from years past. The stitching on mine was excellent. I chose the force hand over the so-called choke hand. Vader stands proud in my Ikea case(with about 3/4" to spare.Glad you got and dig yours. The paint on the Riddell mini one (which you can see in the background of my pics) is accurate to the real McCoy, even on the VHS you can see Vader's helmet like that in the saga, especially ANH. There are also asynchronous sculpt aspects to the mask, and I believe those change from film to film.

Tycho
07-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Oh wow! If you're going to destroy the Vader figure they sent you already, could you please pose your Obi-Wan Kenobi figure over the body parts, holding his lightsaber like he just finished carving roast turkey?

It will be the alternative ending to A New Hope we might have loved to see.

However, if you have one, please substitute Gumby in place of Obi-Wan :D

sergiurusu
07-18-2009, 01:46 AM
As promised here are the pictures of my destroyed Vader figure

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, that's insane and cool at the same time. Looks like the belt escaped relatively unscathed. Did you get to keep the sabers? Seems reasonable considering the trouble they had you go through. I would hate to think of them destroyed, but I'd keep a lot of those parts for decor, the lens-less mask of Vader and broken chest armor being the best ones. Thanks for posting.

Tycho
07-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Please pose you Obi-Wan Kenobi figure (Old Ben if you have him) in another shot you take of that mess. But it in an appropriate background, too (somewhere "Death Star-looking" and I swear you'll probably get paid for the rights to publish your photograph in toy magazines like Tomart's, Lee's, or Toy Fare!!!

That is awesome sergiurusu!!!

jedibear
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
sergiu....so sorry to read and see you ended up with a Vader that was so messed up. I'm with JT here...that just looks like someone else roughly handled that figure and took no care putting it back. It's good that Sideshow was so quickly responsive for you and those "destroyed" shots are really something!

Good luck on getting the replacement in better shape...

JT...appreciated your pictures...like the pose you chose, and again, your thorough remarks make me look forward to getting this figure. Had my waitlist for a regular version convert into an order, but haven't heard anything since. Was hoping for an exclusive, but...oh well. Still looking forward to this one.

It's been interesting following the boards on this figure and seeing the variety of reactions and photos that have been posted. The one thing that does surprise me a bit is the variety in quality that this figure seems to have, I've seen photos of it looking really sharp and photos of marginal paint apps and flaws/scratches as well as varied quality on the stitching and accessories (chestplate, belt, etc).

I've found the varied quality a little surprising considering the high profile of this particular character (it is Vader....the central character of the saga and of many a collection)...this was Sideshow's opportunity to really shine and knock one out of the park here. I'll be going over this figure with great care and hope I'm one of the lucky ones that gets one that looks great.

At least I know from experience that Sideshow will do it's best to back up the product if there is an issue...

sergiurusu
07-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Wow, that's insane and cool at the same time. Looks like the belt escaped relatively unscathed. Did you get to keep the sabers? Seems reasonable considering the trouble they had you go through. I would hate to think of them destroyed, but I'd keep a lot of those parts for decor, the lens-less mask of Vader and broken chest armor being the best ones. Thanks for posting.

I still have left the original exclusive box, the stand, hands (plus the exclusive one) and the lightsabers. A few other small parts could be retrieved as well. Hopefully the new Vader will arrive in pristine condition...

Please pose you Obi-Wan Kenobi figure (Old Ben if you have him) in another shot you take of that mess. But it in an appropriate background, too (somewhere "Death Star-looking" and I swear you'll probably get paid for the rights to publish your photograph in toy magazines like Tomart's, Lee's, or Toy Fare!!!

That is awesome sergiurusu!!!

Thanks Ty. Sorry, I don't have Obi Wan :D

sergiu....so sorry to read and see you ended up with a Vader that was so messed up. I'm with JT here...that just looks like someone else roughly handled that figure and took no care putting it back. It's good that Sideshow was so quickly responsive for you and those "destroyed" shots are really something!

Good luck on getting the replacement in better shape...

Thank JB. That was my first thought when I received the package. FedEx packages are opened up in customs at Otopeni airport Bucharest (500 km from my city). USPS packages and Express Mail packages are opened in my city where there is also a customs office and the packages are opened in front of you. So in Bucharest many things could have happened.

See the attached picture with the figure packed with that black tape by the FedEx customs in Bucharest. again, it hasn't been open in front of me but 500 km away.:(

JediTricks
07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
JT...appreciated your pictures...like the pose you chose, and again, your thorough remarks make me look forward to getting this figure. Had my waitlist for a regular version convert into an order, but haven't heard anything since. Was hoping for an exclusive, but...oh well. Still looking forward to this one.Good luck getting yours. The regular hasn't shipped yet, so you have nothing to worry about... except not having one yet. ;)

It's been interesting following the boards on this figure and seeing the variety of reactions and photos that have been posted. The one thing that does surprise me a bit is the variety in quality that this figure seems to have, I've seen photos of it looking really sharp and photos of marginal paint apps and flaws/scratches as well as varied quality on the stitching and accessories (chestplate, belt, etc).

I've found the varied quality a little surprising considering the high profile of this particular character (it is Vader....the central character of the saga and of many a collection)...this was Sideshow's opportunity to really shine and knock one out of the park here. I'll be going over this figure with great care and hope I'm one of the lucky ones that gets one that looks great.Thinking about it, I suppose you're right. I was going to suggest it was more about cameras, but I've already had 2 of these things and they're both different, different helmet heights, a scratch on the new one's helmet, straps on the chest box angled differently, stitches blown, the small vs normal arm holes. I can't say I've seen a lot of issues with the paint though, except for the first one I got, I haven't seen any others with paint blobs or bubbles. I suppose you are right, there are some manufacturing inconsistencies that the figure only makes up for on the whole, and at this price they certainly should have reached a higher tier of uniform quality. That said, I think the overall figure delivers well enough to overshadow most of the little inconsistencies, I sent mine back because of 2 big ones that appear to be unique, but I'm not sending my second one back over the smaller issues.

I still have left the original exclusive box, the stand, hands (plus the exclusive one) and the lightsabers. A few other small parts could be retrieved as well. Hopefully the new Vader will arrive in pristine condition...Nice! I believe they want you to destroy it so you won't resell it, like anybody would buy it in the condition your first one was in, but I suppose an unscrupulous seller would glue those parts back on and try to cheat someone, so it's reasonable.

Thank JB. That was my first thought when I received the package. FedEx packages are opened up in customs at Otopeni airport Bucharest (500 km from my city). USPS packages and Express Mail packages are opened in my city where there is also a customs office and the packages are opened in front of you. So in Bucharest many things could have happened.

See the attached picture with the figure packed with that black tape by the FedEx customs in Bucharest. again, it hasn't been open in front of me but 500 km away.:(I wonder if you could complaint directly to FedEx about the way customs has treated the figure. As the delivery company, maybe they could have a representative on hand to make sure customs doesn't ruin your stuff, since they are responsible for its well-being until it gets to you.

jedibear
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder if you could complaint directly to FedEx about the way customs has treated the figure. As the delivery company, maybe they could have a representative on hand to make sure customs doesn't ruin your stuff, since they are responsible for its well-being until it gets to you.

While that's a sensible suggestion...be warned. I deal with FedEx every workday and if they can find any reason at all to add more charges, they will. What you're suggesting is indeed possible, but the "handling" charge for that would probably be pretty high.

So, sergiurusu ...if you do ask about that, be sure and ask if that service will incur an additonal charge and how much it would be...believe me, even "courtesy" costs these days...

sergiurusu
07-20-2009, 01:39 AM
While that's a sensible suggestion...be warned. I deal with FedEx every workday and if they can find any reason at all to add more charges, they will. What you're suggesting is indeed possible, but the "handling" charge for that would probably be pretty high.

So, sergiurusu ...if you do ask about that, be sure and ask if that service will incur an additonal charge and how much it would be...believe me, even "courtesy" costs these days...

When I received the package with Vader there were some papers and documents and among them there was also the customs document, and says there was a representative from FedEx there too together with the customs employee. But you know these guys could know each other...

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
When I received the package with Vader there were some papers and documents and among them there was also the customs document, and says there was a representative from FedEx there too together with the customs employee. But you know these guys could know each other...
I would suggest asking Fedex what was going on if they had a rep there watching customs tear your figure apart, and if he wasn't watching, what service you were paying for.

Tycho
07-30-2009, 07:05 AM
I got the Vader figure I was on the wait-list for and decided to open it for inspection (it's not for me but rather a gift for someone else).

I received an excellent, excellent, excellent figure! It made me wish I'd bought one for myself, too - but I really don't need it for anything. I think I have 5 of the Hasbro 14" Vader (3 talking, one that came with Maul, and another that is the Ultimate Anakin figure from ROTS). The SideShow one is definitely far superior and (almost) worth the money they are charging for it. (I think most of these should be $60-90 figures).

But I needed to make sure that I wouldn't have to return this if there were any defects in it. That's hardly the case. My friend's new Vader is going to be perfect! I even compared him to another friend's who got the Vader on the first round of orders, and the one I received is a much better production.

I am really pleased. This is one of the best figures SideShow has ever made in my opinion.

jedibear
07-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, Sideshow's take on the Dark Lord has finally darkened my doorway and I couldn't be more pleased!

This figure is one of the most significant and long-awaited for me, so bear with me while I go on for a bit.... :)

I ended up getting the "regular" edition,,,I foolishly and impatiently had both on the waitlist, and this one converted to an order first...of course, right after he gets here the exclusive converted as well...but I exercised a little collector karma and cancelled it. so hopefully someone who really wants that extra hand will have a chance at it. I've pretty well convinced myself I can live without the "pull my finger" er, "force" hand. The two saber grip ones, the two fists and the splayed-finger one are enough for me. The choice was made easier by the fact that the figure I received is in excellent shape...base body has tight joints and stands well unassisted, the paint apps are good (and fairly scratch free) the outfit elements are in good shape (including all of the thin straps holding the various parts on). Even the box arrive in great shape...a real first for me for a while. I didn't want to tempt fate by sending this one back and getting another that may have had issues.

Now I've followed all of the comments from folks about the various issues and observations they've had...and am especially grateful for JT's well-considered reviews. Because of some of his comments, I took extra care in removing this figyre from the tray and removing his outfit and gear to inspect it and make sure it was all working well. This was one figure I really enjoyed this process with...it's interesting to see how Sideshow met some of the challenges of this character's outfit and I find their solutions work well, from the straps/harness of the chest box to the velcor closure for the utility belt (WAY better than the peg-n-hole method used with the Jedi ones).

I like how the shoulder pads are almost like football gear in construction...and they hang well and move easily on the figure. The little pleather "neck brace" stays in place well without restricting the head movement. Now the pleather body glove does restrict movement a bit, but with some care and adjustment, the figure can be posed pretty well. Now the arm holes on this one were as JT described on his replacement...very tight around the arm holes. But I took my time...slid off the shoulder armor, removed the gauntlets and finally managed to take it off so I could iron the creases and wrinkles from shipping off it.

The only costume issue I had with this figure actually works to an advantage for me. The helmet was loose on the head in the bubble, but the lack of glue allowed me to snap it down of the head tighter and more firmly, giving it a better look.

I strongly recommend that anyone who gets this figure do the complete re-dress on him...adjust the geat, (very) lightly iron the cape and inner robe and prepare to be wow'd...

Not since the Jabba set has Sideshow truly transported me back to being that giddy fan of Star Wars...Vader is the linchpin of the entire saga...and when it came time for Sideshow to produce a figure of him, I'd hoped that they would really do a knock-out job...and in this collector's eyes...the succeeded!

I'll be having some fun snapping shots of this one...here's a couple of quick ones just to get me started...not the most creative, but...enjoy!

sergiurusu
08-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Still waiting on my replacement...:sleeping:

jedibear
08-01-2009, 05:53 AM
And here's hoping it arrives in good condition!

jedibear
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Here's another shot of this guy...oh, they'll probably be more... :)

Really liking this one A LOT.

JediTricks
08-01-2009, 10:46 PM
First day of Comic-Con, I hit the dealers side of the exhibit hall and found not 1 but several non-exclusive versions of the Vader figure for $120 out the door! I was livid, having just spent $125 plus another $25 on shipping and tax. It does NOT pay to be a SSC exclusives collector sometimes.

This was one figure I really enjoyed this process with...it's interesting to see how Sideshow met some of the challenges of this character's outfit and I find their solutions work well...

I like how the shoulder pads are almost like football gear in construction...and they hang well and move easily on the figure. This is not Sideshow's innovation, that's how the armor is in the movie. I've noticed a bunch of folks giving Sideshow big props for their work on that, Michael Crawford even singled it out as being different from the single-piece one in the movie (he is unknowingly referring ONLY to the Episode III shoulder/chest armor, while in the OT the shoulders are always separate).

Now the pleather body glove does restrict movement a bit, but with some care and adjustment, the figure can be posed pretty well.How do you feel it's restricted by this? I feel like it's not restricted at all by it.

I'll be having some fun snapping shots of this one...here's a couple of quick ones just to get me started...not the most creative, but...enjoy!Cool shots, but man, that helmet looks so small in your shots.

sergiurusu
08-02-2009, 01:37 AM
And here's hoping it arrives in good condition!

That too...

jedibear
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM
JT...on the body suit...let me rephrase...it's not restrictive in the sense of achieving a variety of poses...may I just suggest using care with it as not to damage it. Maybe I have a tendency to be TOO careful...:)

As for the shoulder pads...it's certanly true that ROTS was really the first one where the shoulder armor was more like a shell as opposed to the pad/pieces approach used in the earlier films....not Sideshow's "innovation" perhaps, but well-rendered on the figure.

The helmet size seems to be the big bone of contention with a lot of folks and yeah, in pictures it may look a little small....but "in-hand" I think it works jiust fine. It's more in how the figure is pose and displayed, I guess.

I just know the more I look at this one, the more I really like it. A lot.

Here's some shots of the final duel with his former master...

Tycho
08-03-2009, 04:00 AM
The duel photos are very cool shots JediBear.

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
JT...on the body suit...let me rephrase...it's not restrictive in the sense of achieving a variety of poses...may I just suggest using care with it as not to damage it. Maybe I have a tendency to be TOO careful...:)Well, the first one I had did have a blown stitch right away, so I guess you have a point there, but I haven't felt restricted by the suit itself yet, I've put it through its paces to see what it can and can't do. I suspect you're right that it won't take a lot of that though, but until I see actual signs of trouble, I'm going to treat it the way I would any other SSC figure.

The helmet size seems to be the big bone of contention with a lot of folks and yeah, in pictures it may look a little small....but "in-hand" I think it works jiust fine. It's more in how the figure is pose and displayed, I guess.The helmet is definitely too small for ANH, there's no question at all, someone in the Just Found LA thread modified his and it proves how far off this one is. This one is more like the ROTJ helmet but in your pics it looks even smaller.

sergiurusu
09-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Sideshow Darth Vader replacement finally arrived after more than a month. After the first problem with this figure, I was waiting for the replacement hoping it will be in perfect condition. It wasn't in perfect condition alas, but easily fixable though, and this was only because I kept certain parts from the damaged Vader (which I had to destroy).

The replacement Vader came with a broken ignited saber and the right belt box was unattached. I'm glad I have replacement for both, the saber was saved intentionally but the belt with boxes was among the destroyed parts but got out intact. so my new Vader is fixed with old Vader parts thus I'm not going to ask Sideshow for replacement parts.

As for the figure itself, it is impressive indeed. I like it a lot though I know the cod piece, belt boxes and chestbox could unglue at any time in the future being poorly attached. The next step will be to fix the dome to make it sit better but no flaring it yet.

JediTricks
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Glad you finally got yours, sucks about the busted parts again but at least you have it and were able to make it work.

All those glued parts seem like they could come off, I've had a couple already that had to be replaced. That's one thing I don't like about Sideshow. I haven't looked at my oldest figures in a while, I should probably check that on them as well.

Bosskman
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Got my Vader today, wasn't expecting much based on some of the reviews but I loke this figure a lot. He looks real good on my shelf with the others. Glad I got him.

jedibear
09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Sideshow Darth Vader replacement finally arrived after more than a month. .

Glad to hear the Dark Lord finally arrived (almost) intact...even though you didn't have to ask Sideshow for replacement parts for the new issues you had, dropping them a note letting them know there were still issues would be fair feedback. It seems like they may have to consider making improvements/accommodations for shipping stuff to far-flung locales like yours to avoid these problems in the future. At least Sideshow is receptive to feedback of all kinds.

I like your gallery of shots, especially that first one. I hope you post more after you've had a chance to enjoy this figure some more...