PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Universe - 3 3/4" Figures!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Beast
07-25-2008, 01:53 PM
We've been hearing teases and whispers of the line for a long time. And JediTricks said it was ok to start a new 3 3/4" Marvel thread once there was some actual information about this line. Since it had cross-appeal with the G.I. Joe collectors. And somewhat with the Star Wars and Indiana Jones collectors. Of course Superheroes fit a bit more comfortably in with G.I. Joe. But I'm pumped. I love the 3 3/4" scale, so this is a day long anticipated.

We'll find out more at the panel today, but it appears the first wave (or two?) will be made up of 9 figures. Listed on the new Fury Files website which ties into the new 3 3/4" figure line was 9 figures. 4 of them with "Top Secret Fury Files" and 5 more that are still "classified". Here's the line-up we know at the moment. And we'll likely hear more firm plans once the website comes back up from being updated and after the SDCC panel.

Note: Early information suggested there would be 2 waves of 6 to kick things off.

Wave 1? - Profiles Available
Spider-Man - http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/furyfiles/default.cfm?page=memo-sm
Iron Man - http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/furyfiles/default.cfm?page=memo-im
Punisher - http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/furyfiles/default.cfm?page=memo-pn
Silver Surfer - http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/furyfiles/default.cfm?page=memo-ss

Wave 2? - Profiles "Classified"
Wolverine
Human Torch
Daredevil
Bullseye
Black Panther

http://www.furyfiles.com/

The Video on Fury Files indicates the line is coming in Spring of 2009.
More Info will be Available after the Hasbro/Marvel Panel at 2:30 - 3:30.

plasticfetish
07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Ouch. Their Web site is down right now. (I'll bet the load was just a little high. ;))

Very cool! I'm really into this idea, and though I've come to love the 6-inch Marvel figures, I'm excited to see what they've got in mind.

Have to check back later I suppose...

Droid
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd buy a lot of 3 3/4 DC figures, but I'm not into Marvel.

Beast
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
News from Cool Toy Review on the line...

Q: WHAT ABOUT THE 3-3/4" line???
A: it's a setup....they showed off a grat FuryFiles.com video clip, and then answered HELL YES We're doing it!!

MARVEL UNIVERSE
FuryFiles.com will be the central location for the line....it's going to be HUGE!!

Nick Fury is the central character, recruiting various heroes to help fight of the Skrull invasion. S.H.I.E.L.D. cards will be included with the figures.

Figures include:
- Iron Man!
- Spider-Man
- Silver Surfer
- Punisher
- Black Panther
- Daredevil
- HUman Torch (Johnny Storm variant)
- Iron Man (Stealth Armor)
- Wolverine (X-Force costume)
- Ultimate Captain AMercia
- Green Goblin
- Hulk
- Grey Hulk
- Black Spider-Man
- Ms. Marvel (with classic variant)
- Hobgoblin
- & many more (I'll list them later....too fast to keep up)!

Frank Cho worked on the packaging. Toy Biz and Gentle Giant have also helped out with the designs and sculpts.

Q: How many Marvel Universe figures will there be?
A: 35 figures planned for 2009, possibly more. Maybe vehicles down the road.

Q: Will the new line include a BAF concept, more to scale?
A: Is that's something you would like to see? Actually, they are open to differnt scales.

Q: What about Deadpool?
A: Deadpool is one of Hasbro';s favorites.

Q: Will we see the Young Avengers in toy form?
A: They are playing a bigger role, so it's possible.

Q: Will we see more rare characters?
A: We can go deep with the line...it's all-new (even Stryfe!)

Q: Great choices for the 3-3/4" line...will there be comic packs?
A: Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

Q: Will the 3-3/4" figures will have pegholes to help them stand?
A: Yes

Q: Can they cross-populate with other toy lines?
A: Fans can play with all of them.

Oh, the figures are going to be in the Hasbro booth tomorrow! SWEET!

From Marvelous News:

3/4 line is coming in the Spring of 2009!

The new line is tied into the Furyfiles.com. Shield has been taken over. Who do you trust? The website should be live now. It will expand over time. The user will become a Shield agent.

This will be a big multi-media launch.

Each figure will include a Top Secret file card.

Articulation is a key to Marvel Legends so the 3 3/4 figures will be fully poseable. Figures will include acessories, such as Sufer's board, Goblin's Glider and Punisher's guns.

Iron Man, Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, Punisher, Blackk Panther, Bulls-Eye, Daredevil, Human Torch and variant Johnny Storm, Stealth Armor Iron Man, X-Force Wolverine, Hulk, Ronin, Iron Fist, black costume Spider-Man, troop building Hand ninjas, classic Iron Man, Ms.Mmarvel and classic variant, Thing and a mail away figure of Nick Fury based on Jesse Falcon, Hobgoblin, Moon Knight, Ultimate Nick Fury, Ultimate Captain America, Grey Hulk, Union Jack with guns, Thor and Colossus were shown.

The detailing looks great and so does the paint apps. The slides of the figures shown were the actual 3 3/4 versions, not two ups.

There are no immediate plans for vehicles or playsets in the 3 3/4 line, but that is a logical step in the future.

Hasbro is also considering larger figures in the 3 3/4 scale, like Sentinels and Galactus.

Some of the 3 3/4 figures will have double jointed knees.

All those 3 3/4 figures shown represent about half of a years release. The figures will be shown tomorrow, Saturday, at SDCC.

Every wave of 3 3/4 figures will have a mix of a-list and b-list characters.

Comic packs will probably be coming down the line for the 3 3/4 line. 3 3/4 will have peg holes for stands.

Retailers set the prices but it will be similar to Star Wars pricing.

2 packs will be at Walmart and TRU and comic shops.

More images from the Hasbro booth will be available later today and tomorrow.

Bunch of pictures here: http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2008_SDCC%2FMarvel_Panel&dispsize=600&start=0

TheRealDubya
07-25-2008, 06:46 PM
PICS (http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2008_SDCC%2FMarvel_Panel&dispsize=600&start=40)

I am all over these. I will support this line with every nickel I have. Star Wars is going bye-bye for awhile once these come out, because after I get the Falcon, I'm pretty much done on Star Wars. Ain't much left to mine on that property.

MARVEL, on the other hand, is getting the 3.75" treatment at precisely the right moment in toy history.

I'm flat out giddy about these. Best news of the Con so far.

EDIT: I mean, are you kidding me? This is basically the Punisher I have always wanted:

Beast
07-25-2008, 07:23 PM
It's a great day for Marvel fans. I hope we'll get vehicles as well.

Here's the current confirmed characters list. This is drawn from pictures and panel mentions.

The line will launch with an exclusive mail-away of Nick Fury.

Black Panther
Blade
Bullseye
Colossus
Daredevil
Green Goblin
Hand Ninjas
Hobgoblin
Human Torch (Flamed-On)
Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
Incredible Hulk (Green)
Incredible Hulk (Grey)
Iron Fist (Modern)
Iron Man (Classic - Red/Gold) - Interchangable Original and Bolted Facemask heads?
Iron Man (Stealth Armor)
Iron Man (Modern)
Ms. Marvel (1st Appearance)
Ms. Marvel (Modern)
Moon Knight
Punisher (Classic)
Punisher (Modern)
Red Hulk
Ronin
Silver Sufer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man (Symbiote)
The Thing
Thor (Modern)
Union Jack
Ultimate Captain America
Ultimate Nick Fury
Wolverine (X-Force Costume)

Beast
07-25-2008, 09:54 PM
So far... I have to say I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing. The sculpt, articulation, and paint jobs blow away the DCIH line. And they're really offering some pretty unique choices, especially the 1st Appearance figures. The only thing I don't care so far is the lack of many X-Figures. But I'm sure we'll get a bunch once Wolverine and Wolverine and the X-Men starts up in 2009. Across the following links you can see most of the figures.

CTR's Panel Coverage: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/SDCC08/Hasbro/Marvelpanel/
Marvelous News' Coverage: http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2008_SDCC%2FMarvel_Panel&dispsize=600&start=0

plasticfetish
07-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Man... there's almost too much to absorb. It all looks great... and yeah, I've a feeling that the 3 3/4-inch line is going to be a big drain on my wallet.

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh hey! Saw three of the wave 1 Legends 2 packs at Wal*Mart today. They had all but the Cap'n America/Nick Fury set, and they looked decent, but not great. (Paint was a bit loose.)

Beast
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Rob from Toymania got to handle the figures up close and posted some observations.

Hey folks,

I just had a chance to play with the new Hasbro Marvel 3-3/4" figures and I wanted to chare some initial impressions. They had 4 of them - Silver Surfer, Spider-Man, Punisher and Iron Man. We were able to open all but the Punisher, so I messed around with Spidey, the Surfer and Iron Man.

One caveat - they are production samples (i.e. from the factory) but early ones, so I don't expect them to differ when they come out. But, early productions samples are usually very carefully controlled, so the paint is going to be perfect on these where once production begins there could be changes.

The designer behind these at Hasbro is an ex-Toy Biz guy so he has the right mindset to begin with. The figures were packaged and the cards are small but they have a clean and simple design to them. They had little fact cards and such with them.

The figures are an improvement on the Showdown figures. The joints are tighter and the arms and legs do not come off easily (at all really). They still have the ball-and-socket joints for the shoulders and thighs, but they are using abs plastic vice pvc, so the joints are tighter and stay tight (i.e. they do not come off).

The figures had double-jointed knees, hinged ankles (Spidey had a ball and socket type ankle that hinged and swivelled), ab sockets (they twisted at the abs not the waist and could bend at the abs), elbow hinges, twisting wrists, ball jointed shoulders, bicep twists and ball-and-socket neck joints.

They had great range of motion, all had good paint and no stuck or overly loose joints. They are very well sculpted (Dave Cortez, Phil Ramirez and Sam Greenwell worked on these) and the details are great, even with the smaller size.

The Surfer has pegs to put him on the board (included) but they didn't fit as snugly as I would have liked. I think the hinge for the double joints on the knees was PVC, so it is softer and the SUrfer looked a little bow-legged.

They seemed to stand okay, but there was a table cloth so I can't really speak for how stable they will be long term is standing on a shelf.

At first glance, these are better than the Mattel DC figures in terms of sculpting and articulation and detailing/paint. I think they will end up being $2-3 more when they hit retail in March, so this may hurt consumer (kid) sales when they come up if the DC figures stay at $5. Collectors will likely complain and then buy them anyway.

They are very nice, though. Better than the Showdown figures and they have a good design and play factor to them.

As a side not, I think someone might have pilfered the Surfer (sans his board) from the little dinner they were at. I don't know who did it, but wouldn't you rather have Spider-Man or Iron Man?

-Rob

Beast
07-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Jeez, I feel like I'm monopolizing the thread. But more info from Fwoosh.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1068&Itemid=93

And pictures from the Marvel Universe 3 3/4" display at Hasbro's Booth.
http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2008_SDCC%2FFury_Files&dispsize=600&start=0

Some more different angles from Cool Toy Review. Looking good.
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/SDCC08/Hasbro/MU/

And now a Hands On Report from SamuRon from The Fwoosh. Sound great.
http://www.thefwoosh.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1069&Itemid=93

Beast
07-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Here's the release news according to Figures.com:

According to sources at Hasbro, the current release plan look something like this...

Wave 1
* Spider-man
* Punisher
* Iron Man
* Silver Surfer

Wave 1.5
* Black Panther
* Wolverine (X-Force)
* Bullseye
* Daredevil
* Stealth Armor Iron Man
* Human Torch (Flames)
* Human Torch (F4 costume)

Wave 2
* Hulk (Green)
* Hulk (Gray)
* Goblin
* Ronin
* Captain America
* Iron Fist

More figures are planned, though release dates and additional information - including specific retail prices - were unavailable.

The line, which will feature a bookshelf "numbering" packaging system allowing fans and collectors who prefer to display their figures mint in box to show off the completeness of their series, will feature multiple points of articulation - including head/neck, shoulders, biceps, elbows, wrists/forearms, chest/waist, hip, knee, and ankle - as well as character-specific accessories.

bigbarada
07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Those are awesome! I can't wait to get the two Hulks. I could have sworn that I saw photos of a Thing figure as well.

Silver Surfer looks like he would be a great "blank" figure for customizers.

Beast
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Those are awesome! I can't wait to get the two Hulks. I could have sworn that I saw photos of a Thing figure as well.

Silver Surfer looks like he would be a great "blank" figure for customizers.
I know. Hopefully we hear more about the line soon. I'm (obviously) pumped.

The Thing figure was shown during the Hasbro Marvel Panel.

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 10:50 PM
It's kinda smart of Hasbro to do this, even if it does mean dropping (or severely cutting) Marvel Legends. For one, it's a size they've proven they can do excellent figures in. For another, they can get everyone to re-buy all sorts of characters in the new scale without getting too many gripes.

Beast
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
It's kinda smart of Hasbro to do this, even if it does mean dropping (or severely cutting) Marvel Legends. For one, it's a size they've proven they can do excellent figures in. For another, they can get everyone to re-buy all sorts of characters in the new scale without getting too many gripes.
Not to mention the smaller scale means they can slip a lot more more obscure characters into the mix. Much like how Star Wars and G.I. Joe regularly does. We've already seen Hasbro doing that with Superhero Sqaud. We're getting Shang-Chi for cripes sake. Hell, look at 1st Appearance Ms. Marvel. I never expected her to be made.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Plus, some of the larger BAF's will be better scaled to the smaller guys. Those Sentinels and Galactus that came out a few years ago will really tower over these new figures the way they should. They could even possibly get away with re-releasing those (pre-assembled, of course) at a higher price point to go with these figures.

Beast
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Plus, some of the larger BAF's will be better scaled to the smaller guys. Those Sentinels and Galactus that came out a few years ago will really tower over these new figures the way they should. They could even possibly get away with re-releasing those (pre-assembled, of course) at a higher price point to go with these figures.
Indeed. Hasbro said they're considering Sentinels or Galactus for the toy line.

Like you said it wouldn't be a bad idea to just do a bit of retooling/repainting and re-release the Sentinels or Galactus as a part of the line. Maybe pack them with an exclusive pack-in. Sentinel with an X-Man and Galactus with one of his other heralds. They're a pretty good size, and I could see them at around a $20-$25 price point.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
I'd buy that big old Sentinel again, even as a $50 TRU exclusive, if they'd put a "classic" Jubilee in the box with him. :D

Beast
07-29-2008, 01:10 AM
I'd buy that big old Sentinel again, even as a $50 TRU exclusive, if they'd put a "classic" Jubilee in the box with him. :D
Heh. No doubt. I wouldn't mind it if it was the Sentinel retooled/repainted to the classic look/colors... and packed with the original 5 in their first costumes. Or even in their X-Men: First Class ones.

RUSHBOY
07-29-2008, 01:55 AM
I really like the figures but I dont like the card backs they look kinda generic . I guess they figure many kids will just end up throwing away the cards and just keeping the figures . It would have been cool though if they were like the gi joe cards , which are dang near perfect IMO .
:thumbsup:

TheRealDubya
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I really like the figures but I dont like the card backs they look kinda generic . I guess they figure many kids will just end up throwing away the cards and just keeping the figures . It would have been cool though if they were like the gi joe cards , which are dang near perfect IMO .
:thumbsup:

I actually kind of like the cards (the artwork is by Frank Cho, after all.) I think it does a good job of showing off the character and conveying the Marvel brand messaging. I'm not crazy about and GI Joe/vintage SW is always the high-water mark for me, but for the modern era, I like that they bothered to do unique card art for each character. That tends to be an exception these days, if I'm not mistaken.

Plus, as Beast said, they'll have bookshelf numbering for MOC collectors (which I am not) -- a very cool feature for those folks.

Beast
07-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I likewise like the card. Though I would have been fine with generic cards to keep the prices down. But the Frank Cho art is cool. But what's really funny is I wonder if Hasbro actually held out and waited for Mattel to launch their 3 3/4" line first, so they could almost embaress them by doing everything that Mattel didn't do.

A lot of sculpted details. Where as Mattel is using a lot of bucks for their line.
A crapload of articulation. Where as Mattel really cut back on the articulation.
Great paintjobs. The Mattel line seems to be being really stingy on paints for IH.
Unique cardbacks with character art. Where as Mattel line is using a fairly generic cardback.

By 'Bookshelf Numbering', do you think they mean they're numbered just like all the Star Wars figures have been? They weren't exactly clear on that point, but I assume that's what they meant.

plasticfetish
07-31-2008, 04:44 AM
But what's really funny is I wonder if Hasbro actually held out and waited for Mattel to launch their 3 3/4" line first, so they could almost embarrass them by doing everything that Mattel didn't do.Mmmm, let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Seeing some good early production samples at Comic-Con is one thing, but seeing something just as great at retail is something else. Not that I don't have my fingers crossed, but we all know that things can go sour between here and China.

Besides, I've been a fan of Mattel's efforts with the DC Superheroes/Universe lines, and have a feeling that what they'll put out is also fun. Having seen some of their other recent small scale lines (Speed Racer and Dark Knight), I'm pretty sure they won't live up to what Hasbro does, but who knows.

~~~~~~~~~~

On a related note, I was looking over the pics of 3 3/4-inch marvel figures with my son, and he got pretty excited. He has a few of the Superhero Showdown figures, but didn't care about the game aspect, so these are perfect.

His first question was, "Are they going to make vehicles?" and then, "Do you think they'll make a Helicarrier?" All I could say was, "Uh... no, but that would be very cool." :)

TheRealDubya
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
By 'Bookshelf Numbering', do you think they mean they're numbered just like all the Star Wars figures have been? They weren't exactly clear on that point, but I assume that's what they meant.

That would be my guess -- something on the cardboard insert inside the blister, on the side so you easily arrange and pull them off a bookshelf?

Beast
08-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Action Figs has updated with Hi-Res pics of a bunch of the figures.

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=742

Pretty amused by something I read over at Hiss Tank. Someone who was at the show was talking to the sculptors at the Hasbro booth. The story can't be confirmed of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Apperantly when Mattel started showing off the DC Infinite Heroes line, Hasbro thought they were a bit laughable. So they actually went back and added even more detail/improvements to their figures. Cool beans.

Edit: Redirected to Action Figs for the pics of the new figures. Thanks Steve!

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I was just coming in here to link to the ActionFigs gallery of the same:

The con was crazy for me, so I didn't see these at all - I didn't make the Marvel Hasbro panel, and I never got a chance to look at the booth where they were (my guess is these were put out either Sat or Sun). That gallery above is the first time I have seen these, and I had to post in the DC thread (I was already writing a post about Movie Masters Batpod, that's how I found Steve's news on the Marvel pieces) that Mattel has totally blown it, they've fully dropped the ball with their DC 3.75" line and Hasbro's Marvel line is going in the exactly the right way by comparison.

Moreover, Mattel's DC line is going to hurt even more because Mezco is getting into 3.75" with multiple licenses, I picked up their SDCC-exclusive Hellboy II Hellboy and it kicks *** heavily, perfect sculpting, great articulation and accessories and paint, all for $10 for a con-exclusive figure. I think that line and this Marvel line are going to redefine our 3.75" scale as "the" scale again, and Mattel's DC line is going to tank after 2 or 3 waves like they always do. Plus, Hasbro Marvel has a lot of main characters in their first waves (so does Mezco's 3.75" lines) while Mattel DC is holding back there trying to sucker buyers in with hopes instead of product.

Beast
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up in the other thread JT. I probably could have just kept the Marvelous News link, but I edited it to include it as well. And yeah, they were put out the day after the panel where they were introduced. Reaction isn't entirely postive however, many of the Marvel Legends fans are bashing Hasbro for them and mocking the fans of the 3 3/4" line over them. It's really sad and pretty immature. But this line rocks to me.

And like I said in the DC thread, I agree with you 100%. The Mattel Infinite Heroes line is pretty underwhelming in general. And that's being kind. And while they're $4.99 at Target, Toys R Us is selling them for $6.99. Which is the same price that these will likely be. Which means unless someone is a die hard DC fan, the Hasbro line is gonna crush the Mattel one in all areas. Mattel better hope they make their money before Hasbro's come out.

Droid
08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
The con was crazy for me, so I didn't see these at all - I didn't make the Marvel Hasbro panel, and I never got a chance to look at the booth where they were (my guess is these were put out either Sat or Sun). That gallery above is the first time I have seen these, and I had to post in the DC thread (I was already writing a post about Movie Masters Batpod, that's how I found Steve's news on the Marvel pieces) that Mattel has totally blown it, they've fully dropped the ball with their DC 3.75" line and Hasbro's Marvel line is going in the exactly the right way by comparison.

I would really love to buy a "Galactic Hero" of Superman and the rest of the Super Friends.

I'd buy so many of the DC characters if they were done in the Star Wars, Indiana Jones style.

I'm just not into Marvel.

Beast
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually, looks like I should leave the Marvelous News link up.

Steve apperantly didn't get a hi-res pic of the Stealth Iron Man figure.

But he did get the X-Force Wolverine that Marvelous News didn't. Heh.

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=Hasbro%2FFury_Files&dispsize=600&start=0

Tenric78
08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for keeping up on these with all the links. I'm digging these figures and am sucking up any kind of info I can get on them.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Actually, looks like I should leave the Marvelous News link up.

Steve apperantly didn't get a hi-res pic of the Stealth Iron Man figure.

But he did get the X-Force Wolverine that Marvelous News didn't. Heh.Er, Steve did have Stealth Iron Man, I accidentally deleted the pic because of the wonky new gallery software. I let him know when it happened, but I don't know when he'll re-add it.

RooJay
08-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Sorry about coming in to yet another discussion so late yet again, but I'm really looking forward to this line (it's just too bad the DC Infinite Heroes line couldn't be this cool - I greatly prefer DC to Marvel) and I can't help but pipe in with a few random thoughts even though I haven't the time to read up on all four pages of posts so far - forgive me if any of tis has already been discussed!

- As usual, I really dig all the extra articulation; I'm always on board for the double-jointed knees! The major thing that comes to mind there is that it's a shame that the regular Marvel Legends line has been so lacking in that area with a lot of recent releases, and yet here we have a line of much smaller figures that in general seem to be much better articulated overall. (I know Beast is going to chime in yet again about how all Marvel figures are the awesomest and we're all just too blind to see it, but - and I mean no disrespect - the guy's a serious Marvel Zombie and even though he's wrong I expect nothing less from him and we still aren't buying it.)

- Speaking of articulation: this line looks like it'll be much better at it than Marvel legends, but how about a little more consistency from Hasbro when it comes to articulation. We all know how Star Wars has always been all over the board with this issue, but it's also been a big issue with Marvel Legends since they took over, and even GI Joe (which is actually more consistent than Hasbro usually is) can't always be counted on to have figures within the same assortments end up with all the same style of articulation.

- I wonder if these are going to be true 3 3/4" figures, or if they're going to be closer in size to the new GI Joe line, which are actually 4" figures? I'd really prefer if they fit in better with my Joes than with my Star Wars figures.

- Ooh, vehicles are a must! I'm thinking Cap's motorcycle, Punisher's Van, Wolvie's Chopper, the Avenger's Quinjet, the Fantasti-Car, a SHIELD Flying Car, Ghost Rider's bike, and a couple of animals like Valkyrie and Black Knight's winged horses.

- Box sets should be easier and cheaper to pull off in this scale (Battle Packs, anyone?) so hopefully we'll eventually get some of those. I just hope they end up not being collections of repackaged figures I've already bought singly, though I think we all know that this is the most likely scenario. It'd be a great way for them to produce some of the characters we might never get to see otherwise. Then maybe I could finally get that Starfox figure I've always wanted in an '80s inspired Avengers set!

- Once these hit shelves, Marvel Legends is so dead to me!

- My list (in no particular order): Moon Knight, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Shang-Chi, Starfox, Captain Mar-Vell, Thor, Ares, Balder, Odin, Fandral, Volstagg and Hogun, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Dr. Doom, Hercules, Sleepwalker, Nighthawk, Falcon, Angel, the Fabulous, Blue, Furry Beast (the original - no cat-monster!), Wonder Man, Astonishing Cyclops, Adam Warlock, Isaac "Gargoyle" Christians, Valkyrie, Dr. Strange, Terrax, Jack-of-Hearts, Warpath, Commander Rann, Marionette, Bug, and it'd be really great if they could get some kind of permission to do their version of Acroyear in this line!

- Maybe it's not too late for Mattel to improve the sculpting and articulation for Infinite Heroes...

Beast
08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
- Speaking of articulation: this line looks like it'll be much better at it than Marvel legends, but how about a little more consistency from Hasbro when it comes to articulation. We all know how Star Wars has always been all over the board with this issue, but it's also been a big issue with Marvel Legends since they took over, and even GI Joe (which is actually more consistent than Hasbro usually is) can't always be counted on to have figures within the same assortments end up with all the same style of articulation.
Articulation much like with G.I. Joe and Star Wars will be on a case by case basis. Since every articulation point adds to the figures cost, sometimes they have to balance things out. However from what we've seen, double-knees will be used on the majority of the first 3 waves of figures. I'm hoping they stick with the single "universal" joint for female figure legs though. Such as was used on ML3 Marvel Girl. It just looks better.

- Ooh, vehicles are a must! I'm thinking Cap's motorcycle, Punisher's Van, Wolvie's Chopper, the Avenger's Quinjet, the Fantasti-Car, a SHIELD Flying Car, Ghost Rider's bike, and a couple of animals like Valkyrie and Black Knight's winged horses.
What, no Blackbird? No vehicles in the first year, but they're possible if the line is a hit. As are large figures like Sentinel and Galactus. Frankly they could re-release the BAF figures in the line with an appropriate pack-in.

- Box sets should be easier and cheaper to pull off in this scale (Battle Packs, anyone?) so hopefully we'll eventually get some of those. I just hope they end up not being collections of repackaged figures I've already bought singly, though I think we all know that this is the most likely scenario. It'd be a great way for them to produce some of the characters we might never get to see otherwise. Then maybe I could finally get that Starfox figure I've always wanted in an '80s inspired Avengers set!
Comic Packs are already confirmed. But I'm sure they'll mine both Star Wars and G.I. Joe for multi-packs. We could definatly see Battle Packs and Evolutions. I especially would like to see Evolutions of The Phoenix and The Beast. Evolution of the Phoenix: Phoenix (Green), Dark Phoenix, and White Phoenix of the Crown. Evolution of The Beast: 1st Appearance Beast, Avengers Beast (Perez), Astonishing X-Men Beast (Cassaday).

- My list (in no particular order): Moon Knight, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Shang-Chi, Starfox, Captain Mar-Vell, Thor, Ares, Balder, Odin, Fandral, Volstagg and Hogun, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Dr. Doom, Hercules, Sleepwalker, Nighthawk, Falcon, Angel, the Fabulous, Blue, Furry Beast (the original - no cat-monster!), Wonder Man, Astonishing Cyclops, Adam Warlock, Isaac "Gargoyle" Christians, Valkyrie, Dr. Strange, Terrax, Jack-of-Hearts, Warpath, Commander Rann, Marionette, Bug, and it'd be really great if they could get some kind of permission to do their version of Acroyear in this line!
Well.... you have Moon Knight, Colossus, and Thor already confirmed. :D

Beast
08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Looks like we have a ensured release date for the figures, March 1st.

At least according to the countdown clock that was recently added to the Fury Files website.

Bet they're going to do a Midnight Release for the figures on Febuary 28th.

http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/furyfiles/default.cfm?page=default

DarkArtist
08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
i'd get some of these guys if they look cool and all; i'd get;

black costume spidey
regular costume spidey
venom
carnage
captain america
wolverine
punisher
hulk
hob goblin
green goblin

i mean i'm not sure if they are making all these guys but those i wouold snag, i still have the 4inch punicher from that game that came out a few years ago.

cookiemonster
08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
All these look good but I have no use for them, I would like to see some of the Imperial Guard, The Starjammers (especially Hapzibah), Most of the X-Men and there Villains, X-Force (the original ones. Shatterstar, Cable, Domino, Boomer (or Boom Boom, same character), Cannonball).

Then ones that dont have masks as well, like Punisher, Nick Fury and so on.

Females the same as long as they dont have masks, Elektra, Sue Storm, Etc.

Oh buy the way this may seem odd, but I want a Mojo and his dog creatures, oh and Meggan. As I dont plan on keeping these as is, I will be using them for fodder.

NerfTW
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
So what you really mean is you don't want "Marvel Universe" you want "X-men Universe". I'm actually the exact opposite. I just want a few core "classic" X-men, and the rest Avengers, Fantastic Four, and thier rogues galleries.

Oh, and I demand Shiar, Kree, and Skrull troop builders, with varients. And a full size Galactus to SMITE THEM ALL. :razz:

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
I just want a frigging classic Jubilee figure already. I don't care about size.

I'm a little miffed that we never got Darkhawk. The character isn't that great (though better than turds like Doc Samson or X-23), but the design of that armor was awesome. It would've made a killer figure.

NerfTW
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh hell yes. The Generation X Jubilee was the only one they ever did. I already planned that any display with these figures will at least have Collosus tossing Wolverine, and a Jubilee on the side blasting would be awesome.

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
They actually made a second Jubilee years ago for some "robot fighters" line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Action-Figure-X-MEN-JUBILEE-ROBOT-FIGHTER-1997_W0QQitemZ130247036465QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 130247036465&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting

Beast
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
There seems to be an almost unwritten rule against making Jubilee.

She wasn't even considered for the Classic Marvel Figurine Collection until the line was was expanded beyond 120 characters. She's one of the last major X-Men to even be considered.

NerfTW
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I think the problem is a lot of people see her as "spunky sidekick" instead of "a replacement for Rogue, because we accidently aged her 5 years because nobody pays attention to the character's first appearances".

Jubilee, if written well, served a purpose before they brought in the whole Generation X and young students. Unfortunately, a large percentage of the writers at Marvel during the 90's were talentless hacks, and Jubilee became a smart aleck embarassment that everyone seems to hate.

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
And, yet, she appeared in the first two movies (including a pretty big role in a cut scene from #2), and was one of the stars of the original cartoon. This isn't just me talking here. This is a bigger oversight than the long delay for Forge or Banshee.

Beast
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
She was more of a replacement of Kitty Pryde.

Rogue was never really Wolverine's spunky sidekick. That would be Kitty.

And now in the comics Jubilee's depowered, Kitty's "dead", and we have Armor.

I agree with El Chuxter, she should be made. I dunno why she meets so much resistance.

Beast
09-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Some Marvel Universe related questions from the Marvel Hasbro Q&A's.

5. Why in the first 3 3/4" line-up is there only one female (and her variant)? How quickly will the better-looking half of the Marvel Universe be made in this scale, and what kind of character depth can we expect - and how soon?

Answer: There are 35 single carded figures planned for 2009... and there are definitely more female characters on the way.

Kastor: Toybiz BAF were big compared to Hasbro. In the last 2 years we have seen more normal figure size BAF like Ronin, Blob, and now Aries; but Foom is huge. Was the plan to make him so big to fit well with the new 3 3/4 line?

Hasbro: No, the decision for Foom's scale didn't have anything to do with the 3.75" Universe line…but now that you mention it, it does fit rather well alongside them!

Kastor: The Marvel Universe, Line Two figures Captain America and Wolverine are not in their classic costumes, while others seem to be in their iconic looks. Will we have to wait for a long time to get the classic looks, or are they already planned for early in the line?

Hasbro: We revealed more than half the lineup at Comic Con last month, so we're not ready to give away any more juicy tid bits about the 2009 line just yet. Sorry!

Kastor: Are there any plans to bring the successful BAF idea into the new Universe line?

Hasbro: Nothing planned for 2009….but a definite possibility down the road.

Beast
09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Some more info about the line from various Marvel Q&A's around the net.

Kastor: Do you think we will see any of the new 3 3/4 line during the holiday
season? Maybe a preview figure?

Hasbro: The 3.75" Universe figures will definitely not be on shelves until 2009.

Cool Toy Review: Battle Packs are popular in both the G.I. Joe and Star Wars lines. It's also a good way to get less kid-oriented characters into the line and to army build. For example Shi'ar grunts with Lilandra, Skrulls with Super Skrull, Kree with Ronan, Mole Man with Mole Monsters, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents with Maria Hill, this could go on forever. Any chance we'll see battlepacks in the Marvel Universe line?

Hasbro: Strong chance of it...Battlepacks are perfect for 3.75" scale.

Cool Toy Review: Thank you Hasbro! I've been waiting, hoping, and anticipating the announcement of the 3¾" line from the first teases of it. And you more than delivered...the line looks great! However, out of the 30+ figures you showed at SDCC, only 2 of them were female characters, and one of them was simply a 1st appearance variant. Marvel has a ton of great female characters... so it's somewhat disappointing to see a lack of representation for them. Will we be seeing more females coming that weren't shown at SDCC?

Hasbro: Awesome, we're glad you're fired up about the launch of Marvel Universe because we are too! Not to worry, there will be plenty of female characters in the line.we haven't even scratched the surface with this line yet!

Cool Toy Review: Will there be villains in the 3¾" line? I'm pretty sure Green Goblin & Bullseye are there because they're currently Thunderbolts members.

Hasbro: The goal with Universe is to delve as deeply as possible into the character portfolio, so you'll see tons of villains.we promise!

MN: How is the 3 3/4" Marvel line coming along? Has there been any kind of updates, changes or additions made since Comic-Con that you can talk about?

Hasbro: The line is coming along great - we're finalizing the 4th wave of single carded figures right now and we're hard at work on the 5th wave for 2009. We're continuing to partner closely with Marvel Publishing to make sure that there is a tight relationship between comic and toy. We're also in the middle of nailing down the full year 2010 lineup, which is always exciting. The fan reaction has been tremendous for this new line and we're looking at all sorts of exciting new possibilities and ideas!

Beast
09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Someone found the DPCI for the Marvel Universe line in Target's computer.

Also found the DPCI for the Wolverine figure line. Given the prices, it may be 3 3/4" also.

Marvel Universe Figure- 087 06 1414 $7.99

Wolverine Deluxe Figure- 087 06 2073 $10.99
Wolverine Battle Packs- 087 06 2074 $10.99
Wolverine Action Figure Asst. 1- 087 06 2076 $7.99
Wolverine Action Figure Asst. 2- 087 06 2078 $7.99

Deluxe Figure - Probably figures with Motorcycles or Such.
Battle Packs - Probably 2-Packs like the Comics Packs for Star Wars.

Adam
09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I've been trying to avoid this thread. I really have. I don't need to start another collection!

I saw the IH line at work the other day and was pretty underwhelmed. It reminded me about these and I couldn't resist looking any more.

Damnit! These look awesome. And now I want them, and have no place to put them.. argh.

Beast
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the definatly put the Infinite Heroes line to shame.
More 3 3/4" related questions and answers from around the net. Enjoy!

FIGURES.COM: Can fans expect to see playsets or vehicles in the new Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line?

HASBRO: It's a perfect scale for vehicles as well as play and display. It depends on the demand.

FIGURES.COM: Are army builder packs currently planned for the new Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line? Hand ninjas and HYDRA troopers would be a great addition...

HASBRO: You'll see AT LEAST one army builder in the line during 2009... possibly even more.

FIGURES.COM: Costume and color variants seem to be a part of the new Marvel Universe line. Will we be seeing further variants used as retail or online exclusives?

HASBRO: There will definitely be more variants featured in the line. They will find their way into various retail channels throughout the upcoming year.

FIGURES.COM: What can fans expect to pay for the new 3 3/4" Marvel Universe figures?

HASBRO: These figures will be priced about the same as the Star Wars and G.I.JOE 3.75" line of figures.

SUPERHEROTIMES.COM: With the launch of the new Marvel Universe 3 ¾" line, will fans see lesser known characters like the Power Pack or perhaps Howard The Duck as well as mainstream characters like Spider-man, Wolverine, and The Hulk?

HASBRO: You'll see plenty of lesser known characters! However, Howard the Duck is not yet on the radar for 2009. Agatha Harkness is probably out for year one as well.

SHT: Will fans see larger figures in scale with the Marvel Universe figures released, such as a massive 18" tall Galactus?

HASBRO: It's definitely possible. There has been an extremely positive reaction to the new 3.75" Universe line thus far and there are a ton of great characters to do... some of whom are pretty big!

Beast
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
And last, but certainly not least...

5 more questions about the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line from Action Figs.

Hasbro Marvel Q & A

The Skrull Invasion caused a temporary delay in the Hasbro Marvel Q&A but we now have the questions from the latest round.

But now that we've chosen to "Embrace Change", we'd like to thank Hasbro for sending along the answers to the following five questions. And speaking of Skrulls, we choose to focus the Q&A on the upcoming 3 3/4" Marvel Universe figure line that debuted at San Diego Comic Con. Spinning out of the currently running Secret Invasion storyline, the figure line promises to deliver our favorite Heroes and Villains in Hasbro's popular 3 3/4" figure scale.

ActionFigs: How will variants be handled in the Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line? Such as in the case of Grey Hulk/Green Hulk, Johnny Storm/Human Torch, 1st Appearance Ms. Marvel/Modern Ms. Marvel, etc. Will they be the unpopular chase variety or will it be running changes?

Hasbro: They are not running changes. The actual mix for each will depend on the specific character and / or variant. We can tell you that we don't have plans for any super rare figures or elusive chases though.

ActionFigs: Any chance for a re-release of the Marvel Legends BAF's of the Sentinel and Galactus in the new Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line? The size of the BAF's make them almost perfect for the larger characters in the line. Plus it would allow the ML collectors another shot at them.

Hasbro: In terms of scale, they do go perfectly together. However, we do not have any plans for BAF re-releases at the moment.

ActionFigs: Out of the nearly 30 3 3/4" Marvel Universe figures you showed at SDCC, only 2 of them were female. And both were Ms. Marvel, due to the 1st appearance variant. Will we be seeing more female figures in future waves such as Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey?

Hasbro: There will definitely be plenty of female characters to follow in later waves.

ActionFigs: One of the presentation slides shown at the SDCC for the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line showed the 'Classic Iron Man' with 2 different face masks. The original "V-Winged Mask" and the later "Bolted Mask". Does this mean we'll get both heads in the package or is it a variant?

Hasbro: It is not an interchangeable head, the Silver Age Iron Man that you saw in the presentation will be sold separately.

ActionFigs: At SDCC they announced that the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line would launch with a mail-away exclusive of Nick Fury sculpted to look like Jesse Falcon. How will the mail-away work and will he come with a second interchangeable 'Nick Fury' head for comic accuracy?

Hasbro: We'll be revealing the details on the mail away program for the exclusive figure very shortly. On the subject of the head sculpt, we think fans of the Classic 616 Nick will love it! Jesse and Nick could be twins!
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=85&p2_articleid=2435

plasticfetish
09-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Mmmmm... 2009 is so far away! ;)

Beast
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Marvelous News has carded and loose pics of the first two waves of figures.

So glad that the final figures won't be high-gloss like we saw at SDCC.

Here is a look at Hasbro's upcoming 3 3/4" Marvel Universe "Fury Files" figures. Shown below are the following:

- Black Panther
- Bullseye
- Daredevil
- Human Torch
- Human Torch (Variant)
- Iron Man
- Iron Man (Stealth Ops)
- Punisher
- Silver Surfer
- Spider-Man

Each figure will come with a S.H.I.E.L.D. file card with a secret code.
http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=11722

Beast
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
My thoughts:

Black Panther - Probably the most basic figure we've seen. While some may have wanted gold accents like with the 6" figure, I like that we're getting what's basically a First Appearance Black Panther figure. Wish he came with the half cape he started wearing later. Oh well, next time.

Bullseye - Really like the final version of the figure. Again, getting rid of the glossyness of the figures that were shown at SDCC is a huge improvement. And I like the two-tone plastic that Hasbro's using for the costume. Only thing I wish is that the teeth were more obvious in his smile, but at this scale that's difficult. Otherwise, pretty happy how he looks. Hopefully Elektra comes along sooner rather than later.

Daredevil - He turned out pretty good. Again, the loss of the super gloss look from SDCC is a huge improvement. And I like that much like Bullsye it looks like Hasbro may be using a somewhat two-toneish plastic for Daredevil's body. Only complaint here is the accessory. I preferred the seperated billy clubs that were shown at SDCC. Easy enough to fix with a hobby knife.

Human Torch/Johnny Storm - Ok, while I like the figure well enough... I'm not a fan of this design for Johnny "Flamed On". I didn't care for it in the comics, and I don't care for it much here. Thankfully the de-flamed Johnny Torch figure turned out much better. I actually really like that they fixed the issues I had with the face sculpt. Bravo. I'll be buying a second one so I can do an easy head swap when Reed comes out. Since it's likely that the initial Mr. Fantastic will be stretched out or something.

Iron Man/Iron Man: Stealth Ops - They look great. Nothing more to really say. Glad that the metallic paintjob that we saw at SDCC carried over onto the final figure. Seems like Iron Man is getting a lot of love from Hasbro for this line. Which makes sense, given how well the movie line has been selling. I think this is the best Iron Man figure I've seen in figures to date. And all my praise for the basic one carries over to the Stealth version. I thought I'd actually like the Stealth better, but the Red/Gold rocks.

Silver Surfer - The only figure that I liked with the High Gloss sheen shown at SDCC. Though the final version isn't that bad. I wish the board was as shiny though. Though I'm certain we'll probably get a vac metal version later. Though like with C-3PO, the articulation may make that difficult, since it causes the vac metal to rub off when you move the joints. It will look great with BAF Galactus.

Spider-Man - Again, the loss of the gloss has improved the figure. I'm glad they went with a more classic lighter blue for Spider-Man's outfit. Not that we won't see more modern incarnations later. I wish they'd quit posing the loose version with the bundle of webbing. It looks like it unravels so you can have him swinging, but the photographer keeps leaving it in a bundle and sticking it on his arm.

Punisher - Never been a huge fan of The Punisher, but the figure looks pretty good. Glad they fixed a few problems he had that were shown at SDCC. Love the arsenal he comes with. Only complaint I have is that he doesn't have a seperate trigger finger for his hands. But otherwise, quite happy.

SirSteve
09-30-2008, 02:13 AM
New pictures of Marvel Universe figures loose and packaged in Hi-Res at CollectionStation.com:

http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/Marvel-Universe.1056/3-34-Basic-Figures.1057

Adam
10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Bleh, "Flame On" Johnny looks pretty bad to me in these new pics.

RooJay
10-01-2008, 02:00 AM
I think it's the paint job that's kind of ruining that one - the sculpt itself isn't that bad actually. Maybe if it didn't look like they were implying some kind of non-existent lightning powers there it might look a little better.

Beast
10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I think it's the paint job that's kind of ruining that one - the sculpt itself isn't that bad actually. Maybe if it didn't look like they were implying some kind of non-existent lightning powers there it might look a little better.
To be fair to Hasbro, the figure is based on a certain artist's look for Johnny.

Wasn't a fan of it in the comics either. Wish they'd went with a different style. I can't find the whole pic, but here's an image of it. And you can see that the "lightning" like effect was present on the original art.

Old Fossil
10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Hasbro routinely slaughters kittens for use in vac-metal experiments.

sith_killer_99
10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Hasbro routinely slaughters kittens for use in vac-metal experiments.

With that single line, you have restored my faith in Hasbro.:twisted:

RooJay
10-02-2008, 01:55 AM
To be fair to Hasbro, the figure is based on a certain artist's look for Johnny.

Wasn't a fan of it in the comics either. Wish they'd went with a different style. I can't find the whole pic, but here's an image of it. And you can see that the "lightning" like effect was present on the original art.

To be unfair to Hasbro, that effect looks way cooler there than what they managed to achieve on the figure. I kind of dig the cracked magma crust look, even if it isn't exactly an accurate depiction of Johnny Storm's powers.

TheRealDubya
10-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm really glad this is a Spring '09 line launch, because the economy has not been kind to this collector. Hopefully by then things will be right enough for me to get these.

Beast
10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Looks like it's confirmed that there will be X-Men Origins: Wolverine figures in the 3 3/4" scale. Hopefully they'll slip some comic based versions of everyone's favorite clawed Canuck into the toyline as well. Including some comic based versions of characters from the movie like Blob, Deadpool, Sabretooth, Silver Fox, etc.

202550 Wol 3.75 DLX Fig Batt $19.99
202136 Wolverine DLX Fig $10.99
183620 Wolverine Heroes 4 Pa $10.99
202102 Wolverine Vehicle w/F $22.99
202173 Wolverine Movie Figur $7.99
202110 Wolverine Battle Claw $22.99
183612 Wolverine Ani Mated F $7.99
202152 Wolverine Ele Ctronic Figure $22.99
202181 Wolverine Mot Orcycle $15.99

Note: This is just the whole list. Not all of it is 3 3/4" inch.

NerfTW
10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
That's pretty neat. The first item looks like a battle pack for the movie. So 4-5 movie figures in a battlepack, outside the main line. Just what battlepacks were made for. :grin:

This:

183620 Wolverine Heroes 4 Pa $10.99
sounds like a Super hero squad pack, since that's the price of the current SHS four packs.

I'm really hoping for battlepacks that are just costume varients they didn't want to do in the main line. A Giant Sized X-men one, perhaps, since most of the character's current costumes are just color swaps.

Beast
10-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I'm excited to see a Battle Pack right off the bat.

I'm sure it will be like Wolverine, Sabretooth, Blob, Deadpool, and some Soldiers. Or something.

Hopefully we start getting some pictures turning up along with all these leaks.

And I agree with you. I'd love to see a Giant Size X-Men Battle Pack. As well as one featuring the Original 5 X-Men. To steal a quote, "Hasbro would make me as happy as a little girl" if they did those.

Original X-Men Battle Pack: Professor X, Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Marvel Girl.
Giant Size X-Men Battle Pack: Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Sunfire, Thunderbird, Wolverine.

NerfTW
10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Did they ever specify if the "35 single carded figures in 2009" includes the variants?

If you count each variant as a separate figure, and knowing the Iron man Classic has two mask versions, plus the Shield Agent prototype shown in one of the slides, that makes 34 figures. 35 if you count the Nick Fury mail-in. However, that slot could be taken up by a movie version Wolverine.

If you count just the characters and not the variants you get 24/25 figures. (Unsure if Hobgoblin/Green Goblin would be considered variants or separate)
Meaning there would be 10 figures for next year that have yet to be revealed.

So do we or do we not know all the figures being released next year (on single card)?

Beast
10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Questions for Hasbro are starting to roll in. Putting the 3 3/4" Answers here.

From Kastor's Corner:

Kastor: Would playsets for the Marvel Universe line be more viable if they were modular, rather than mega-sized (and possibly mega priced) items? (perhaps not BAF's but BAP's... build a playset)

Hasbro: Playsets and dioramas are definitely a realistic possibility when it comes to the 3.75" line. It becomes easier to produce these environments (and vehicles) at an appealing price point when they're in this scale. However, a BAP could be tough to execute without afftecting price points throughout the rest of the line.

Kastor: Would you consider offering blank bodies for Marvel Universe figures (similar to the blank Muggs) on Hasbrotoyshop.com for 3.75" scale customizers?

Hasbro: It hasn't been discussed before but we like to throw all sorts of wild ideas on the table we hope to look in to this further.

From Cool Toy Review:

Cool Toy Review: Since he picked up the mantle of Captain America, Bucky has become one of the most high profile characters in Marvel for 2008. I'm certainly glad that we got classic Bucky last year, but when can we expect to see Bucky as Cap in either the Marvel Legends or 3 3/4" scale line? (For that matter, can we look forward to a Winter Soldier figure?)

Hasbro: You have no idea what a big Cap (& Winter) fan you're talking to. The Brubaker / Epting run on Cap Am has been amazing and I can't wait to see what's going to happen next. All I can say is you've got a friend in me.

Cool Toy Review: Will the 3 3/4 line include movie variants or is it strictly comics?

Hasbro: Marvel Universe is all Comic inspired. With almost 70 years of material and 5,000 characters we need to focus!

Cool Toy Review: Does the "35 single carded figures in 2009" for the Marvel Universe line include the variants, meaning we've seen all but one of the figures at Comic-con, or are the variants not counted as figures, meaning there's still around 10 figures yet to reveal for next year?

Hasbro: Nick Fury says there are still at least 10 figures for 2009 that fans and collectors haven't seen yet. At least...

From Figures.Com:

FIGURES.COM: The first wave of Marvel Universe 3 ¾" figures have been dubbed the Fury Files. Please tell us more about the reasoning behind this theme and what fans can expect.

HASBRO: Nick Fury and the Fury Files are a huge part of the Marvel Universe toyline. This theme actually spans the entire first year and you can get a sneak peek now on the Fury Files website - FuryFiles.com.

Collectors will get an original document from Nick's top secret files in every package as well a code that can be used on FuryFiles.com to unlock additional memos and information. All of this original content has been created in partnership with Marvel publishing so that it ties in tightly with what's going on in the Marvel U at this very moment. Fans can expect to get exclusive access to all sorts of SHIELD memos and secrets with every purchase.

FIGURES.COM: Can fans expect future Marvel Universe waves to be characterized by a uniting theme such as the "Fury Files" and what themes or types of themes can we expect to see in future waves?

HASBRO: The Fury Files is actually the theme for all of 2009 so we'll be focusing on that for the first 5 waves of figures. You will see some other sub-themes come into play, but Fury and SHIELD is the dominating storyline.

Make sure to check out the Fury Files website in two weeks when we launch "Bullets from Fury," a new feature that will be updated daily and penned by Nick Fury himself!

From Superhero Times:

SUPERHEROTIMES (SHT): Articulation and poseability are clearly major concerns on the upcoming Marvel Universe 3 ¾" figures. For display purposes, will all figures include standard holes in the bottom of their feet and are there any plans to release bases with the figures and/or separately?

HASBRO: There will be peg holes on the feet for all figures in the line. We're not planning to include stands with the single carded figures in 2009 but you might see them in another 3.75" offering .

SHT: Since the initial Marvel Universe information began circulating online, there has been a great deal of talk regarding the lack of female figures. Which female figures can we expect to join the heroes in the new line and when can we expect this to happen?

HASBRO: The goal with this line is to cover the broadest spectrum of characters in the Universe; with that being said, there will be most definitely be more female figures in line, you just have to be patient. We've only announced the first three waves! If we have our way you'll get some characters that you've never seen before. Nothing is off the table! Except maybe Agatha Harkness...

Beast
10-30-2008, 12:59 AM
A couple more MU specific questions from Action Figs....

ActionFigs: Early information regarding the price point of the X-Men Origins: Wolverine figure line has shown up on Target's computer systems. $7.99 for basic figures and $10.99 for Battle Packs. Since the price point matches Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and G.I. Joe does this mean the line is in the Marvel Universe 3 3/4" scale?

Hasbro: Mmmm, you're crafting these questions very carefully in order to trick me into giving something away! It's a good thing I'm a highly trained agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. My magic 8 ball says "maybe".

ActionFigs: We're loving the Marvel Universe figure line, but we were surprised by the lack of X-Men characters in the line. In the first 35 or so figures you debuted at SDCC, only 2 X-Men were included. Wolverine (X-Force) and Colossus. We were hoping for Beast! But with next year being a big one for all things X, are you taking it easy with X-Men in Marvel Universe so as to not overwhelm collectors who's primary focus is X-Men?

Hasbro: Glad you're excited, we are too. But hold on a second, we're getting carried away here. We have only revealed one X-Man (X-Force Wolverine) but we've only revealed the first 3 waves of 2009. There were plenty of figs that we didn't reveal there as well. Don't worry X-Fans, we haven't forgotten about the greatest mutant super team ever assembled! We've got all sorts of surprises in our back pocket for 2009, but Nick Fury himself guards this information!

ActionFigs: Since Hasbro is doing Comic Packs in Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and now Marvel Universe... is there a chance we might see something like the Star Wars Evolutions Packs also show up in the MU line? Such as "Evolution of The Beast" w/ Human (O5 X-Men), Avengers Apeman (Perez), Feline (Astonishing X-Men) versions of Beast, or "Evolution of The Phoenix" w/ Phoenix (Green), Dark Phoenix (Red), and White Phoenix of the Crown (White) versions of Jean Grey? Both of which would be brilliant.

Hasbro: Both very cool ideas and both possible. How about an Adam Warlock evolution pack? No wait..Wonder Man! We have all sorts of fun things in store for the 3.75" line - everything is in play right now.
More non-MU questions: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=85&p2_articleid=2511

Hopefully since we'll be getting some updates on the line in the next two weeks, we'll have more to discuss soon regarding it. Maybe even once some of the other sites come in with their Q&As.

TheRealDubya
10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
This has the potential to be the greatest action figure line ever. I'm just going to throw that out there.

plasticfetish
10-31-2008, 03:59 AM
This has the potential to be the greatest action figure line ever. I'm just going to throw that out there.Given the buildup, I'd say that it had really better amount to something decent. ;)

defiant00
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Just give me a Gambit figure!!!!!! And a Rogue, and a Mr. Sinister, and.....

JediTricks
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Not to be a naysayer here, but considering this line is meant for mass market and thus there to capture casual collectors and kids, will sourcing only from the comics really work? I mean, the comics are pretty limited in audience these days, the characters are iconic (except for the hundreds that aren't :p) but I wonder if people will get into it without anything else. Even the '90s Toy Biz line had direct animation support. That line did go a great distance though, but it had pricing on its side which this new line clearly doesn't.

Still, I hope it all works out, I bought a lot of that '90s line and this one could be just as cool.

Beast
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
True. But the character appearances are often pretty similar to at least the cartoon appearances of the character. And we also have the Super Hero Squad line, which has been selling really well and has been offering some extremely obscure characters as of late. Hell, we've got Gargoyle, Nighthawk, Shang-Chi, etc. coming soon.

And unlike the Infinite Zeros line, at least Hasbro is putting their best foot foward with the A-Listers.

NerfTW
11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, considering Hasbro has been managing the Star Wars line just fine, and the GI Joe line without any movie or tv support whatsoever (Ironic, considering it's far more "merchendising" origins), I don't think they'll have too much of a problem.

First of all, I think you're underestimating the popularity of Spider-man and X-men. (Who are woefully underrepresented in this line, though) The Toybiz lines (the originals) did pretty well for their time, only killed by poor character choices and constantly changing scale. Plus, Marvel is kicking butt in the movie department, far surpassing DC in that field.

Marvel is pretty comparable to Star Wars in the choice of characters, and they usually balance the waves pretty well. I expect we'll continue seeing a mix of A-listers, minor obscure classics, and regular repacks of Iron Man, Spider-man, and Wolverine to keep interest high. And hopefully they use actual outfits from the comics. We don't need "Scuba suit Spider-man" before we get Ben Reilly or Scarlet Spider. Or "Random Iron Man we made up" before Ultimate and Silver Centurion.

Wolverine is almost begging to be repainted. The X-force one can be remade into almost all his costumes with a simple repaint. (and shoulder pads for his original)

TheRealDubya
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Additionally, Marvel is getting ready to roll out an entire bonanza of ongoing films, cartoons and video games. There will be no shortage of media to support a general "Marvel" line (Legends chunked away for years with only the occasional picture and game.)

I think collectors are in (unlike for those damned Zeroes) and kids will go into a store, see a pocket sized Spidey, Iron Man or Hulk and buy in. And like we did when we were kids, they will get into the mythology through the A-listers, and end up getting into the others and (gasp!) maybe...even pick up some comics?!

Beast
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Agreed. I again just have no clue who Mattel was marketing their 3 3/4" line to.

They're so simplistic, under detailed, under articulated, and are ripe with obscure choices. Now obscure choices arn't a bad thing, if you're marketing just to collectors. But the problems with the DCIH line means that they're not going to appeal to the collectors. And without the A-Listers, they're not going to appeal to the kiddies.

I don't know any kids clamoring for Professor Zoom, Black Hand, Guy Gardner, and such over the mainstays like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. Especially Batman in a year he had a freakin' movie in the theaters. Batwoman came out before Batman! Yes, they can't depend on just A-Listers for the line's diversity or lifespan. However will they even have a real lifespan when there's nobody that kids know or want on a single card. And so far the only way to get Flash or the known Green Lanterns are in more expensive packs or box sets.

El Chuxter
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Guy Gardner is a mainstay. If you say otherwise, he'll insult you.

JediTricks
11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, considering Hasbro has been managing the Star Wars line just fine, and the GI Joe line without any movie or tv support whatsoever (Ironic, considering it's far more "merchendising" origins), I don't think they'll have too much of a problem.

First of all, I think you're underestimating the popularity of Spider-man and X-men. (Who are woefully underrepresented in this line, though) The Toybiz lines (the originals) did pretty well for their time, only killed by poor character choices and constantly changing scale. Plus, Marvel is kicking butt in the movie department, far surpassing DC in that field.

Marvel is pretty comparable to Star Wars in the choice of characters, and they usually balance the waves pretty well. I expect we'll continue seeing a mix of A-listers, minor obscure classics, and regular repacks of Iron Man, Spider-man, and Wolverine to keep interest high. And hopefully they use actual outfits from the comics. We don't need "Scuba suit Spider-man" before we get Ben Reilly or Scarlet Spider. Or "Random Iron Man we made up" before Ultimate and Silver Centurion.

Wolverine is almost begging to be repainted. The X-force one can be remade into almost all his costumes with a simple repaint. (and shoulder pads for his original)Hasbro hasn't exactly blown the doors off Spidey, a franchise that under Toy Biz couldn't be kept in stock it was so popular.

And saying Marvel is kicking butt in the movie department reinforces my point, casual collectors aren't going to know these characters from comics that much, and Hasbro's not doing these from any source but the comics.

GI Joe is alive because it's an in-house license, no fees so profit margins don't need to be split there. Star Wars has massive societally-built-in support that, let's be realistic here, Marvel doesn't match.

NerfTW
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Star Wars has massive societally-built-in support that, let's be realistic here, Marvel doesn't match.

This is just where I think you're completely wrong. To honestly and with a straight face say the popular Marvel super-heroes don't have societally built in support either is just mind boggling.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
To say Star Wars has a cult and pop following is a under statement.

To say Marvel doesn't have the same type of following is true. How many people did you see camping out to see Spider Man 3? How many people did you see camping out to see Episode Two, three, and One? Even the Special Ed's :) Seen so many people acting a (Bleep) fool to see the same movies with some touched up and with new effects.

But Marvel has something Star Wars and Gi Joe, Transformers, or any other property has in common and thats MASS appeal. Everyone goes to Marvel movies, were talking different types of people, Girls, Guys, Nerds, ETC.

And as a person who bought the DC line...yeah...well. God i wept after i opened those things, though i didn't think the sculpts were to bad, it was the lack of articulation and weapons.

JediTricks
11-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Marvel doesn't have the scale of societal recognition that Star Wars does, I stand by that claim. It's not that it doesn't have recognition, I never said that, I said it doesn't have "massive" recognition the way SW does. Both have broad casual appeal, SW movies didn't make hundreds of millions off internet fanboys.

NerfTW
11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Marvel doesn't have the scale of societal recognition that Star Wars does, I stand by that claim. It's not that it doesn't have recognition, I never said that, I said it doesn't have "massive" recognition the way SW does. Both have broad casual appeal, SW movies didn't make hundreds of millions off internet fanboys.

Then I think I'm going to have to stand by my claim that you are completely off your rocker.

plasticfetish
11-08-2008, 04:23 AM
What's more popular... Marvel or Star Wars? Is this the most nerdy argument ever or what?!? I'd like to throw in Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek, and perhaps coin collecting if I can. :razz:

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! (not to be confused with the candy of the same name)

This is the internet, it's made for this sort of thing!

I stand by my claim though, Star Wars is a bigger toy seller than Marvel by a significant margin, its movies sell more tickets, and yet it hasn't been around as long.

plasticfetish
11-09-2008, 01:42 AM
This is the internet, it's made for this sort of thing!Touché sir. You have me there. ;)

And for the record, I'm not sure that I agree with you about Marvel not having the kind of recognition that Star Wars has. After all, there have been comic book nerds far longer than there have been Star Wars nerds. Your average Joe Schmo on the street is just as apt to know who the Hulk is, as he is to know who Darth Vader is.

Beast
11-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd agree that the fanbase for Star Wars is much larger however.

But the fanbases are similar. There's those who only care about the main characters, and there's insane obsessive fans that love the minor D-Listers. Such as Jubilee. ;)

Maradona
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Hasbro hasn't exactly blown the doors off Spidey, a franchise that under Toy Biz couldn't be kept in stock it was so popular.

Hasbro hasn't done justice to anything Marvel they acquired from Toy Biz. I attribute this to the fact that Hasbro is way more proficient in the 3 3/4" scale than the scale the Toy Biz lines enjoyed. I've selectively bought Marvel offerings from Hasbro and plan to pick up the 3 3/4" line. I am hesitant, though, to predict massive success for the new line, despite the quality of the product, because comics, sadly, are not as popular as they once were. I don't know the numbers, but comic readership has diminished over the years. Films, cartoons, and video games are more prominent now in the transmission of comic lore.

Kids are the key force for a line, as Hasbro is so quick to point out in their Q&As. The degree to which a kid is captured by a concept has to factor into whether they would want to buy a toy related to it. Without denigrating video games and cartoons, I would argue that the emotional investment a kid puts into reading a comic is greater than the more cursory attachment to a video game or cartoon. A comic based film, however awesome it may be, rarely has more than a handful of characters or the staying power to maintain a line long term.

To me, this line represents something I would have absolutely loved in the 80s back when comics were the glue that held much of my life together. Secret Wars had about 10-12 figures and that was it back then. I can only hope the kids of today will appreciate it as much as I would have. Realistically, though, I remain skeptical that they will.

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Touché sir. You have me there. ;)

And for the record, I'm not sure that I agree with you about Marvel not having the kind of recognition that Star Wars has. After all, there have been comic book nerds far longer than there have been Star Wars nerds. Your average Joe Schmo on the street is just as apt to know who the Hulk is, as he is to know who Darth Vader is.Yeah, but the diehard comic nerds have been relatively small in number by comparison to SW of late, Comic-Con was much smaller until Hollywood stepped in, yet Star Wars Celebration conventions have been pretty big for the last 9 years. And we're not talking about diehards, we're talking about average people. While the average guy could look at a photo of the Hulk and a photo of Vader and know who both of them are, if you showed them a picture of the Fantasticar and a picture of the Millennium Falcon, I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 times the Falcon will win out. (Eat it, Richards!) And they'd probably recognize Jabba the Hutt way over Captain Marvel.

I'd agree that the fanbase for Star Wars is much larger however.

But the fanbases are similar. There's those who only care about the main characters, and there's insane obsessive fans that love the minor D-Listers. Such as Jubilee. ;)Careful, on these forums you're much more likely to get murdered in your sleep for suggesting Jubilation Lee is a mere D-lister. :p

I suspect if you show the average person the image of a background Jedi or a background Alien, they're gonna recognize it as Star Wars a lot quicker than a background character from comics.

Hasbro hasn't done justice to anything Marvel they acquired from Toy Biz. I attribute this to the fact that Hasbro is way more proficient in the 3 3/4" scale than the scale the Toy Biz lines enjoyed. I've selectively bought Marvel offerings from Hasbro and plan to pick up the 3 3/4" line. I am hesitant, though, to predict massive success for the new line, despite the quality of the product, because comics, sadly, are not as popular as they once were. I don't know the numbers, but comic readership has diminished over the years. Films, cartoons, and video games are more prominent now in the transmission of comic lore.

Kids are the key force for a line, as Hasbro is so quick to point out in their Q&As. The degree to which a kid is captured by a concept has to factor into whether they would want to buy a toy related to it. Without denigrating video games and cartoons, I would argue that the emotional investment a kid puts into reading a comic is greater than the more cursory attachment to a video game or cartoon. A comic based film, however awesome it may be, rarely has more than a handful of characters or the staying power to maintain a line long term.

To me, this line represents something I would have absolutely loved in the 80s back when comics were the glue that held much of my life together. Secret Wars had about 10-12 figures and that was it back then. I can only hope the kids of today will appreciate it as much as I would have. Realistically, though, I remain skeptical that they will.

Readership is down under 1/10th of what it was in the '80s when the big boom and big collapse happened. But comic books alone aren't all Marvel has to point to for being seen, there's movies, shows, and toys. I think the loss of the Marvel cartoons is really what's killing the brand, there's less to point to for the casual collector that way. And Marvel, despite its attempts, hasn't knocked a big "the whole brand in your face" event out of the park the way Secret Wars did back in the day, or the '90s cartoon universe. Maybe the movies will help that, but I get the feeling that they're still too isolated from the overall Marvel universe for mainstream audiences to connect the dots.

Beast
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Careful, on these forums you're much more likely to get murdered in your sleep for suggesting Jubilation Lee is a mere D-lister. :p
I calls 'em like I sees them. Especially since her depowering. And then being shunted over into New Warriors which is cancelled with Issue #20.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
What's more popular... Marvel or Star Wars? Is this the most nerdy argument ever or what?!? I'd like to throw in Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek, and perhaps coin collecting if I can. :razz:

OHHH I so Vote For Dungeons and Dragons!!! LOL :)

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
No way, coin collecting is WAY more popular! We all have a few coins around the house! :p And the TARDIS could totally kick a Star Destroyer's ***, but the Millennium Falcon could beat the TARDIS.

Beast
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
No way, coin collecting is WAY more popular! We all have a few coins around the house! :p And the TARDIS could totally kick a Star Destroyer's ***, but the Millennium Falcon could beat the TARDIS.
God... we really need some new info to talk about.

Curse you Hasbro... for making us wait til March for this toy line!

Hopefully when the Q&A with Hasbro comes back we'll have something.

NerfTW
11-16-2008, 10:48 AM
God... we really need some new info to talk about.

Curse you Hasbro... for making us wait til March for this toy line!

Hopefully when the Q&A with Hasbro comes back we'll have something.

And curse me for starting the derailment. :tired:

Putting it back on track, anyone else planning to buy by the case?

Beast
11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
And curse me for starting the derailment. :tired:

Putting it back on track, anyone else planning to buy by the case?
I doubt I will for the start.

I think it will be pretty easy to find. Especially with a firm release date.

Beast
11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Well. We have something new to talk about at least.

The first figures in the line apperantly showed up for sale in Singapore.

And we have our first look at the 'Top Secret' File that comes with each figure.

This one is from Iron Man and naturally features Tony's SHRA I.D. Card. :D

TheRealDubya
11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Well. We have something new to talk about at least.

The first figures in the line apperantly showed up for sale in Singapore.

And we have our first look at the 'Top Secret' File that comes with each figure.

This one is from Iron Man and naturally features Tony's SHRA I.D. Card. :D

Cool. Hurry up Spring!

NerfTW
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Does the letter have a visible set of coordinates or am I seeing things? I wonder where they point to?

DarkArtist
11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Cool. Hurry up Spring!

I second that....would love to get a couple of these guys. i hope they make a decent Ghost Rider with cycle.

NerfTW
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I tried to guess what the co-ordinates are.

Guessing the ones that are obscured, they seem to be 90 2(?) 5(?) W by 78 45 60 N, which Google Maps sticks somewhere west of northern Greenland, so it's probably just a random number.

Beast
11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, it's just supposed to be the location of the SHIELD Helicarrier.

NerfTW
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but I was hoping for an easter egg like the location being directly above Hasbro Headquarters, or over New York City. An amusing but pointless bonus for anyone who tried. :P

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I like the idea of putting the coordinates over Hasbro's headquarters in Rhode Island! Too bad they didn't.

Honestly, file cards aren't a bad idea, but I would think they'd want that info readable outside the packaging so kids could be tempted by the toy inside.

Beast
11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, they could be appealing to the CCG playing kids. With the 'Top Secret' pack-in. :)

And hey, it kinda worked for Indiana Jones. Though I'm sure this line has sturdier legs.

The pack-ins had some people buying figures they normally wouldn't.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
There are kids playing CCG? I doubt it, seems like that fad died out a few years ago, in the mainstream.

But the key is to get a WIDE casual collecting audience, not just a small one.

Beast
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I posted the Q&A's in the main Marvel Legends thread.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=649795&postcount=1719
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=649862&postcount=1723

There's a number of questions that directly relate to MU. So take a look.
But there's a few MU tidbits to directly address. So here it goes.

"You didn't ask, but we thought we'd drop you a hint about the upcoming Punisher figure in Wave 1 of Universe. If you see one on shelf, you might want to consider adding it to your collection.that's all we'll say."

Which I'm gonna guess means that the Classic Version (with the white boots and gloves) will probably be replaced in future cases with the Modern Version (mostly black costume with a different head sculpt) which was shown at SDCC. Since there was some issues with the oversized headsculpt that showed up on the Classic Punisher.

ActionFigs: A while back we were told that the Marvel team had finalized Wave 4 of the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line. And were hard at work on Wave 5. Since it's a long time until the debut of the line, is there any chance we could get an update on who's coming in Wave 4? Something to wet our appetite and give us something new to talk about until the line debutes in March.

Hasbro: If it were up to me I'd spill it all, but I crack easily under pressure. I'll give you one brand new 2009 character hint, but that's it. "We now know that he wasn't what he appeared to be back in the day". Discuss amongst yourselves.
No clue who this could refer to. It's vague enough to refer to just about anyone.

NerfTW
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
4. With the introduction of the Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line, fans are wondering about larger-sized characters. When can fans expect to see a Living Tribunal, Galactus, Sentinel, Fing Fang Foom, or Giant Man figure in scale with the 3 3/4" line?

One of the great things about 3.75" is that many of the Build-A-Figures that have already been done still work perfectly in terms of scale. Galactus, Sentinel, Giant Man and Foom all look awesome when they're side by side with the Universe figures. As for the future, we're definitely keeping those larger characters in mind and we have some fun stuff cooking....

I'm thinking box sets, maybe? Like a classic Avengers with Giant Man, or a Fantastic Four vs Galactus.

Beast
11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking box sets, maybe? Like a classic Avengers with Giant Man, or a Fantastic Four vs Galactus.
That's my guess as well. Probably as Store Exclusives.

Much like with Star Wars, we'll likely see Store Exclusive Battle Packs.

defiant00
11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm still waiting to hear about a Gambit figure....

Seeing as how they seem to be staying away from X-characters in the first few waves, I'd have to expect that there will be an X-wave coming down the line, maybe to coincide with the release of the Wolverine movie next year.

Hasbro is doing the movie figures too, right? Same scale, 3 3/4 inch? I know Gambit is in the movie, so maybe there'll be a Remy figure there as well...hey, maybe two Gambit figures in the same year, that would be sweet!

Beast
11-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Here's a sneak peak of one of the 3 3/4" Wolverine figures from the X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. Looks like it may be Wolverine in his Team X outfit. Which was Black and Gold in the comics. Either that or it's supposed to be World War II Wolverine. Guess we need to wait for the movie to find out for sure. Looks pretty cool regardless.

defiant00
11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
That's awesome! It definitely looks more like a WWII version...

Beast
12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Big Bad Toy Store has the first wave up for pre-order now.

Looks like they went ahead and combined Wave 1 and Wave 1.5.

Marvel Legends 3.75" Series 1 - Set of 12
Estimated to Arrive - February 2009 Our Price: $99.99

The heroes and the villains of the Marvel Universe make the leap from the comic books to your action figure collection with these all-new Marvel Universe Action Figures! Each figure stands 3 3/4" tall and comes with accessories to save the day - or conquer the world. This set of figures contains:

1x Wolverine
1x Silver Surfer
1x Human Torch
1x Punisher
2x Classic Spider-Man
1x Iron Man
1x Daredevil
1x Black Panther
1x Bullseye
1x Stealth Iron Man
1x Burning Human Torch

This set of 12 will be shipped as a sealed case.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS16524&mode=retail

I really like the even case ratio. Almost tempted to pre-order a case after all.

plasticfetish
12-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Almost tempted to pre-order a case after all.You'd really trust the random quality of Hasbro's paint jobs there? (I'd have guessed that you'd wait.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can't see anything on that list that I wouldn't want BTW. Just crossing my fingers that these look as good as I (we) hope they do, when they finally hit the pegs.

NerfTW
12-04-2008, 09:23 AM

The heroes and the villains of the Marvel Universe make the leap from the comic books to your action figure collection with these all-new Marvel Universe Action Figures! Each figure stands 3 3/4" tall and comes with accessories to save the day - or conquer the world. This set of figures contains:

1x Wolverine
1x Silver Surfer
1x Human Torch
1x Punisher
2x Classic Spider-Man
1x Iron Man
1x Daredevil
1x Black Panther
1x Bullseye
1x Stealth Iron Man
1x Burning Human Torch

I really like the even case ratio. Almost tempted to pre-order a case after all.

Yes! Exactly what kind of case assortment I was hoping for. Awesomeness.

Beast
12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Here's a sneak peek of a carded Iron Fist from Wave 2. And a reminder who's in Wave 2.

Wave 2:
Hulk (Green)
Hulk (Gray)
Green Goblin
Ronin
Ultimate Captain America
Iron Fist

DarkArtist
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM

1x Wolverine
1x Silver Surfer
1x Human Torch
1x Punisher
2x Classic Spider-Man
1x Iron Man
1x Daredevil
1x Black Panther
1x Bullseye
1x Stealth Iron Man
1x Burning Human Torch

that works out to about $8.35 a figure roughly. Ouch. hope these are really cool looking. not interested in getting all of them, just want a couple like Punisher, Spidey(both Black and Classic costumes), Daredevil, Iron Man, Wolverine, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, and Nick Fury, and if they make Venom, and Carnage.

NerfTW
12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
$8 sounds about what Star Wars costs now. And keep in mind BBTS aren't always priced at MSRP, they're collector oriented and change prices based on demand. It might still be a dollar cheaper at brick and mortar stores.

DarkArtist
12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
$8 sounds about what Star Wars costs now. And keep in mind BBTS aren't always priced at MSRP, they're collector oriented and change prices based on demand. It might still be a dollar cheaper at brick and mortar stores.

very true. i mean i'm withholding judgement on these figures till i see them up close. if the figures are great and warrant the price i have no problem with it but if they fall into the same articulation as lets say some of the pre-posed Saga line or even some of the Indy line then the price won't be justified and I'll pass on the line all together.

i thinking Walmart will have them for around 7.99 a figure when they hit.

RooJay
12-05-2008, 02:51 AM
The articulation on these is the same as the current GI Joe line. None of them are pre-posed, and most of them feature more articulation than just about any Star Wars figure.

TheRealDubya
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
We need a countdown clock for these. I'm planning on getting the following from Wave 1:

1x Wolverine
1x Silver Surfer
2x Punisher
1x Classic Spider-Man
1x Iron Man
1x Daredevil
1x Bullseye

NerfTW
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
We need a countdown clock for these. I'm planning on getting the following from Wave 1:

There's a countdown clock on the Fury Files website (http://www.furyfiles.com). It's counting down to March 1st.

Beast
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
We have our first real reviews of the figures in hand over at Toyark.

Only the Iron Man one is up so far. With more to come.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-iron-man-series-001-342/

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
It looks like these are the new GI Joe scale, 4", which would be disappointing for me since I like the SW 3.75" scale. I just got my first new Joe, and it TOWERS over Star Wars figures, totally useless together, so Marvel with SW may be out of the question. However, Marvel goes better with Joe I suppose, so that works - Marvel vs Cobra!

Review doesn't say much of anything, but pics say a lot. Looks like standard GI Joe body styling, well-sculpted to IM's design, and then the face is off just like the Joes. :p

Beast
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for the picture... but they are more in the 4" G.I. Joe scale than the 3 3/4" Star Wars scale. Found it, posted below. But like you said, they fit more in with G.I. Joe than Star Wars anyway. So not that big of a deal. Love the figures, can't wait.

Oh, and the review of Spider-Man is up now also. Very cool.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-spider-man-002-344/

El Chuxter
12-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Big messup with Wolvie. That fella's too tall. Wolverine's supposed to be pint-sized. That's a kind of mess that a ShamWow would be able to take care of. Obviously Hasbro will continue to just spend twenty bucks on paper towels every month.

Beast
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Big messup with Wolvie. That fella's too tall. Wolverine's supposed to be pint-sized. That's a kind of mess that a ShamWow would be able to take care of. Obviously Hasbro will continue to just spend twenty bucks on paper towels every month.
I agree that he's a bit too tall. Hopefully the next one will be a bit shorter.

Wolvie's height has been all over the map in comics lately anyway.

Like I said elsewhere, I'll just pose him in his trademark crouched pose.

NerfTW
12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
So where did they get these figures from anyways? Do some stores already have them, or are these some that made it out of the factory early?

Beast
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's the just released cover of tomorrow's issue of Toyfare.

Our first look at the exclusive Nick Fury mail-away figure.

He looks pretty good. As does the classic Iron Man and Thing. :thumbsup:

Beast
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
So where did they get these figures from anyways? Do some stores already have them, or are these some that made it out of the factory early?
Apperantly they're already being sold early in Singapore.

They're still not due in the US until March 1st.

Though I'm thinking mid-February is more likely due to Singapore.

Beast
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Toy Ark's posted their review of Silver Surfer now as well.

Wow, a 10 out of 10? Best figure of the wave? That surprises me. But cool.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-silver-surfer-003-348/

DarkArtist
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I'm looking for the picture... but they are more in the 4" G.I. Joe scale than the 3 3/4" Star Wars scale. Found it, posted below. But like you said, they fit more in with G.I. Joe than Star Wars anyway. So not that big of a deal. Love the figures, can't wait.

Oh, and the review of Spider-Man is up now also. Very cool.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-spider-man-002-344/

i'm actually liking these figures the more and more I see them online and read their reviews. looking forward to getting a couple of them. as far as the scale goes, not really too concerned over it really, i figure if I get a couple of the Iron Man figures and customize them to look like maybe robotic clones or stormies their heights might look good as the battle the heroes.

hopefully they make these easy to find and get, there is not alot of pegwarming and the line continues on to give us even more cool figures. would love to see how they are going to tackle some of the female characters in this line, ie Emma Frost (White Queen), Rogue, Invisible Woman, Jean Grey etc.

Beast
12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Toy Ark has the review up of The Punisher now. Not so favorable compared to the others.

Thankfully the modern variant that will be released later fixes some of the issues.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-the-punisher-004-349/

I still like the figure. But yeah, most definatly the weak link in the first wave.
Love the Skrull Cannon though.

would love to see how they are going to tackle some of the female characters in this line, ie Emma Frost (White Queen), Rogue, Invisible Woman, Jean Grey etc.
Given how great the Ms. Marvel and 1st Appearance variant look, I'm betting they'll look great once Hasbro gets around to making them. The real disappointment of the line so far for me is the lack of females. Hopefully we'll get some more in Year 2 and in Comic Packs.

Beast
12-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone over on Toyark posted some info about what's in the MU feature in Toyfare.

New Toyfare magazine #138 has MU figs Thing, Classic Iron Man and Nick Fury on the cover.

Inside the magazine you see full body shot of Union Jack, Moon Knight, Thing and new Punisher(all black costume).

Toyfare also asked a few questions regarding Marvel Universe.

Toyfare: Who are we going to see in the third and fouth wave?

Hasbro: In Wave 3 are Black Costume Spider-Man, Thing, New Punisher, Classic Iron Man, Ms.Marvel, a Hand Ninja and Nick Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D. Soldier, which is a mail away.
And as for Wave 4, we have Union Jack, Moon Knight and Red Hulk

There is about 10 more Questions in the magazine.
I'll have more info after I pick up my copy in an hour or so. :)

DarkArtist
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
i'm liking the Punisher. I think he would totally work in a GI JOE display with perhaps some Marauder weapons. will definately be picking one up.

Beast
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Here's Toy Ark's review of Black Panther and Wolverine (X-Force) now.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-black-panther-005-351/

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-wolverine-006-352/

RooJay
12-11-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm expecting to be buying several Silver Surfers for the purposes of customization!

I'm also thinking that all those little clear twisty ties that come with most figures could make for some cool looking custom webbing for Spidey!

DarkArtist
12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm expecting to be buying several Silver Surfers for the purposes of customization!

I'm also thinking that all those little clear twisty ties that come with most figures could make for some cool looking custom webbing for Spidey!

that's a good idea. never thought of that about the twist ties. been throwing these out all these years and i could have amazed a nice pile of webbing for Spidey. might have to start saving them now.

NerfTW
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
That would be interesting. I saved them for holding lightsabers on Star Wars figures with crappy hands. Also, for holding up battle droids on the one peg stands. (wrapped around the stand and holding the non peg foot down prevents most of the bending issues)

I think a lot of the figures are good customizing material. Torch and Iron Fist are the same body as well. That's my only gripe is that Wolverine is using the same body type, despite being smaller, but Star Wars suffers the same problem constantly with Luke (and Qui-jonn, in the opposite direction).

Dammit, I need to go out and get this issue. Stupid finals.

Beast
12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's Toy Ark's latest review. For 'Flamed On' Human Torch.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-human-torch-007-357/

He looks way better than that early shot we saw. Nice figure.

Beast
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Cool! We have some pics of the X-Men Origins: Wolverine 3 3/4" figures. And even cooler, it looks like it's chiefly going to be a Comic Series line. Not sure if there will be a Movie Series in this scale as well, but it's likely. At least this gives us some X-Men for the Marvel Universe.

Here's pics of the following... some attached in the next post.

Strike Mission Wolverine
Wolverine (Brown/Tan Costume)
Sabretooth
Gambit
Maverick
Deadpool

On the back of the cards it also shows Tiger-Stripe Wolverine, Weapon X Wolverine, and Logan. Sadly no White Queen or Beak. Maybe later if the line does well. :)

Beast
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Here's the rest of the pics that I couldn't attach to the last post. :)

NerfTW
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Aw, you beat me to it. I know a lot of people are going to be excited, Gambit and Deadpool seem to be much requested figures.

That's one less of the Marvel Universe line I have to buy (black and white Wolvie), and a bunch more of these.

Beast
12-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I like the Black/Silver X-Force Wolverine. But I'm sure these will appeal more to the classic comic fans. I'm actually glad they didn't simply release a Tiger-Stripe Wolverine in both lines and did something different with Wolvie in the main Marvel Universe line.

I wish Sabretooth was in one of his costume looks, but I'm sure we'll see another version of him at some point. Probably in a Comic 2-Pack with Wolverine.

NerfTW
12-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, this explains the odd choice of that particular Wolverine for the first wave of Marvel Universe. Because both his other major costumes are going to be in the Wolverine line. It looks like the Origins line might be a dumping ground for any X-men that show up in the movie. I was expecting them to space the Wolverine outfits out among the Universe line like they're doing with Iron Man.

This also explains the lack of a Deadpool figure as well, given their enthusiasm for him in the Q&A's.

I definitely won't be buying a case of the Universe figures now, since along with Stealth Iron Man and the extra Spidey, I can just get the tiger stripe Wolverine instead of the X-factor one.

My poor wallet. That's two Wolverines, Deadpool, and Gambit added to my list of figures now.

Maradona
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Saw these and began to wonder how they would fit with the new 3 3/4" line:

http://runrunhero.com/viewthread.php?tid=18389&extra=page%3D1

NerfTW
12-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Saw these and began to wonder how they would fit with the new 3 3/4" line:

http://runrunhero.com/viewthread.php?tid=18389&extra=page%3D1

Yes, we were just discussing them. Look four posts above yours.

Maradona
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes, we were just discussing them. Look four posts above yours.

Just did, and I'm thinking that these seem almost like miniaturized versions of the Marvel Legends line, from the legs down at least. The next thing that comes to mind is whether Hasbro's line for the animated Wolverine and the X-Men will be more like this or the Marvel line or if they'll go in a completely different direction like the animated Spiderman line.

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Considering how lame Gambit looks in the upcoming movie, I am not even remotely surprised they went this route. However, for Hugh Jackman Wolverine fans, it leaves them out in the cold.

And Hasbro, there is such a thing as too much Wolverine. In the course of 2 waves, you're releasing about 85% of the Wolvie figures from the entire Toy Biz 4.5" run. :p

NerfTW
12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Have they released a photo of Gambit's movie outfit? The only one I've seen is a shot of him in civilian clothes playing poker.

Beast
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Since it's the Movieverse, I think his civvies are his movie outfit.

Frankly since X1 I haven't been impressed with the choices made for the movie costumes. I'm not sure going with comic accurate costumes wouldn't look absurd, but the black leather outfits are fugly. Though oddly I liked the latex versions they used in Ultimate X-Men. I guess that's why the X-Men always works better in Animation than it does in live action.

Oh, and here's the review of the Daredevil figure from the MU line.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-daredevil-008-376/

Beast
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
And Hasbro, there is such a thing as too much Wolverine. In the course of 2 waves, you're releasing about 85% of the Wolvie figures from the entire Toy Biz 4.5" run. :p
On the bright side...

They are getting them out of the way in a Wolverine focused subline instead of slipping them into Marvel Universe. So anyone who wants a particular style can buy it from this one. And Hasbro doesn't have to cram new versions of Wolverine in the main line. I'm sure we'll see a new one in 2010, but they'll be getting all the most recognizable versions out of the way.

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh yeah, I'm sure we'll never see another Wolverine figure after this. :crazed: :p

In the trailer for Wolvie Origins, there's a quick shot of Gambit wearing a trenchcoat, but it looks like normal-style clothes are underneath. It's a small shot though, I could be mistaken.

Dang, it looks like Daredevil got into the steroids!!!

DarkArtist
12-14-2008, 10:06 PM
i have to say that i'm actually liking the concept of making the Wolverine movie and the Marvel Universe figures in the smaller scale of 3.75 inches or even 4" scales. it provides more of a play value, keeps the cost down, and gives kids a chance to play out different scenarios using various characters and figures from all walks of Movie and TV.

i can't wait to have Wolverine fighting perhaps Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes fighting Sabertooth etc.

i've always wanted a uniform line design made for action figures so that kids can challenge their imagination and have there favorite characters fighting alongside one another. i think it's an amazing sight when you see a child use their imagination to it's potential and see them having Batman battle Luke Skywalker, or the Spiderman fight Captain Kirk or whatever they have. i can remember collecting the Kenner Batman figures and Super Powers figures and having them fight side by side with the characters from the X-Men and Spidey.

this is also why i would love to see a company like Mezco or even Hasbro produce lines like Ghostbusters, or James Bond. would love to have 007 join the GI JOE team and see the Ghostbusters battle it out against Gentlemen Ghost from the Justice League or see the Joker join forces with Cobra Commander while Hellboy fights Cobra Soliders etc. (call it my crazy imagination)

TheRealDubya
12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Sweet:

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=11839

Beast
12-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Sweet:

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=11839
Yeah, it's the same pics I posted a page back. They are sweet though. :)

TheRealDubya
12-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah, it's the same pics I posted a page back. They are sweet though. :)

Oops, my bad. Got over excited,.

Beast
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Oops, my bad. Got over excited,.
Not a problem.

I've been geeking on the line from the start. So I know how you feel. :)

VexOrdo
12-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow, that is really all I have to say. I'm new to the forums around here, and I realize this is a great site. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I JUST heard about these figures in the latest issue of Wizard. I've been a Star Wars Collector for years and this will be the start of a new collection :love:
Can't wait to get all of these!!!

DarkArtist
12-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Wow, that is really all I have to say. I'm new to the forums around here, and I realize this is a great site. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I JUST heard about these figures in the latest issue of Wizard. I've been a Star Wars Collector for years and this will be the start of a new collection :love:
Can't wait to get all of these!!!

Welcome to the forums VexOrdo. it's a fun place to chat about hobbies and interests and a good place to pick up information on upcoming releases etc. Once Again Welcome Aboard !:thumbsup:

VexOrdo
12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks! So is it just me, or after this announcement of a new line is it safe to say that Hasbro is UBER toy distributor. Now I'm glad they got the liscense from ToyBiz! I also can't wait to finally set all my toys to 3 3/4, and sell off all my old Marvel and DC figures

Beast
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Here's the review and pics for the Stealth Ops variant of Iron Man from Wave 1.

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-iron-man-stealth-ops-009-416/

Looks good. I like the Stealth version more than the Red/Gold one. Can't wait.

VexOrdo
12-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Very nice, but is it just me or do the Iron Men look a bit magna-ish? Looks like its straight fromt he Marvel Magna series. But anyway I'm definitely looking to picking a few of him up in order to fight Vader and others.

VexOrdo
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=4A7341F1-D56F-E112-45A92F923DD666DC

Posted just today on Hasbro, looking awesome! Liking the Grey Hulk, Ronin, Iron Fist, 2nd Punisher and of course Captain America!

NerfTW
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks, I checked this morning and it wasn't up yet. :thumbsup:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :love:

VexOrdo
12-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks, I checked this morning and it wasn't up yet. :thumbsup:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :love:
No problem!

This Punisher looks MUCH better than the classic one, and his head is motstly normal sized!

Beast
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Wave 2 and 3 have really outdid Wave 1.

Seems to always be the case with Hasbro's new 3 3/4" figures. Such as Indiana Jones. At least it appears that the learning curve for the factory is pretty fast. Wonder why they didn't show the rest of the figures in Wave 3 though. We're missing Ms. Marvel and Hand Ninja. As well as the Ms. Marvel and Iron Man variants. But oh well, they look great.

Beast
12-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Here's the Marvel Universe specific questions from the various Q&As.

ActionFigs: A while back we were told that the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line would be hitting in Spring 2009. The Fury Files website countdown clock suggests that they'll be out on March 1st. However, we're now getting reports that the figures are already being sold at Toys R Us stores in Singapore. Does thismean we might see them sooner rather than later in the U.S. as well?

Hasbro:The global set date is March 1st so although some of them have managed to sneak out early, the quantities will be small.

ActionFigs: With the Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line launching from Secret Invasion, it's a surprise not to see some Skrulls or some of the major players they replaced during the story in figure form. Or even some of the major players from Dark Reign. In regard to SI, will we see normal and/or skrull'd versions of Elektra, Yellowjacket, Jarvis, or Spider-Woman in '09?

Hasbro: We definitely haven't forgotten about the Skrulls. We've got something skrullish on tap for sure.but the SHIELD file is still classified on this one!

1. What is the focus of the Marvel Universe line, in terms of character selection? Will it focus primarily on characters getting heavy comic rotation, or will we see some random, older characters as well? For characters with different costumes/looks, will there be a tendency toward the current/modern look, or the classic? For example, if Luke Cage were to show up, is it more likely he would be in his Power Man costume, or in his New/Secret Avengers garb?

We've got 70 years of comic history to draw from so we aren't focusing on any one particular era or segment. You'll see some 70's and 80's specific characters and costumes as well as plenty of contemporary ones. Heck, you may even see some 40's inspired choices, but we don't want to give too much away. We want to throw some fun curveballs into this line and we've got some things planned for the back half of the year that are going to take fans by surprise. As for Luke Cage, it's tough to beat that classic costume. Make sure to check out the "new news" on Hasbro.com/marvel this Friday for new in-package pics of Universe waves 2 & 3.

1. Some fans fear the new 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line will include figures of character who have yet to receive the 6" Marvel Legends treatment. What are the chances fans who've waited years for their favorite 6" Marvel Legends figure will only receive the character figure in the new 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line?

Real agents of SHIELD have no fear! We're having some fun putting characters into the Universe lineup that will take fans by surprise so there's definitely a chance that some haven't yet had their day in the 6" sun.

4. Many of the Marvel U's heavy hitters have been announced for the new 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line. When can fans expect to get multi-packs including either army-builder figures like Hand Ninja and Hydra Soldiers or popular superhero teams like the Avengers, X-Men, etc?

It's a definite possibility for Fall of 2009. We have a bunch of cool stuff for the back half of the year that we haven't yet revealed.

Kastor: After your last bonus answer I have to ask: what is so special about the Punisher in the new 3 3/4 line?

Hasbro: A-ha. We'll leave that to fans and collectors to determine…but many speculative posts on the boards have nailed the answer already.

Marvel Universe - Will the figures eventually come with stands like the 25th Joe line does, featuring their names and/or series numbers, etc?

It's a future possibility, but there are no branded figure stands planned for 2009.

At Furyfiles.com - when you enter a code for a figure, will the site save your figures under your account, or will you have to enter the code each time you come back to see various characters info?

Ahhh, agent status has it's privileges. The site will save all the codes you've entered under your custom agent profile. So once you've acquired access to certain files, you'll maintain them in your own personal SHIELD database.

Are there any plans for themed Marvel Universe waves - aka All X-Men, all Spider-Man, etc?

The greatest thing about the Marvel Universe is the breadth of character so we'd rather go broad with every wave. You'll definitely see some of these teams bunched together within a wave, but we aren't planning to theme entire waves.

Will we ever see a return of the pack-in comics in Legends or Universe?

We have a good feeling about this one. That's all we can say.

Marvel Universe - are there any plans for interchangeable armor to use between the figures, specifically for characters like Iron Man. Where a civilian/human figure could be the core, and armor is removable, and usable elsewhere, etc.

Sounds cool but it's not something we've slotted into the line at the moment.

Q3. How difficult is it to choose what costume a character is going to wear when the decision has been made for said character to be turned into an action figure? Obviously some characters would be easier than others as they haven't had many costumes, or have only had one iconic costume. Some characters have had up to dozens of costumes - do you choose the costume they currently wear, their most recognizable, or an era-specific costume? -Daytripper

It isn't really difficult, but there's no standard rule of thumb for this. It's different for each character and it really comes down to which costume will resonate the most with collectors and fans. Sometimes, we even decide to do more than one. Take Ms. Marvel for example. We're using her current costume in the Universe line, but we're also releasing a classic 1970's inspired one as well.

Q5. With the new NYX series out, the huge success of Young Avengers and Runaways and talks of a Runaways movie in motion would NYX, Runaways and more Young Avengers figures ever be considered? - Mighty Marshal

Absolutely. We've said before that everything is on the table for the Universe line and we mean it. Runaways, Heroes for Hire, Guardians of the Galaxy, past and present. If the fans demand it, you can bet we'll try to make it happen.

RooJay
12-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Did he say Guardians of the Galaxy?!! Dude! I would totally murder somebody for a 3 3/4" Yondu action figure!

VexOrdo
12-20-2008, 07:44 AM
What were they talking about "special" about Punisher. I must have missed that part, what's the deal there?

VexOrdo
12-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Still would like a Punisher answer :twisted:, but here, as ToyArk puts, Supah Cleah Images of the first wave, wait a minute or two to let it load.
http://marvellegends.net/MU/MU01/

Beast
12-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I just think they mean that the first Punisher figure with the white gloves and boots and oversized melon is being phased out. It won't re-ship in later assortments. And is being replaced with the Modern version with the more normal sized head.

VexOrdo
12-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh ok, I liked the modern one better anyway!

JediTricks
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, those new figures look really good overall. I'm not feeling the facial expression on Hulk(s), and Goblin's eyes are a little googly, but damn if that isn't a great-looking set of figures coming out. It's going to be much harder now for me to not partake in these, especially Cap and classic Shell-head.

"I thought I was out, but they pulled me back in!"

NerfTW
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I totally dig the Hulk's face. It's interesting. I hope they do varients with the different artist's takes on him. I used to have that big Hulk that came out in the Hulk line back in the 90's, and this one is almost as awesome.

Is the Captain America supposed to be Ultimate Cap? Because he doesn't have his little head wings. I'm waiting until Toyfare possibly confirms the fall lineup, so I can see if there's a different Cap coming out.

Beast
12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it's Ultimate Cap. Not only the no headwings, but the boots and ammo belt.

VexOrdo
12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think Ultimate Cap is cooler anyway, he's more badass in Ultimates. I hope they make the new Cap though with Winter Soldier, that would be cool :yes:

VexOrdo
12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Well here is a new review of Wolvie, why I don't know. But there are new pics!

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-wolverine-review-465/

Beast
12-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Well here is a new review of Wolvie, why I don't know. But there are new pics!

http://www.toyark.com/news/marvel-toy-news-4/marvel-universe-2009-fury-files-wolverine-review-465/
Gives us something to look at enviously until March 1st. :D

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it's Ultimate Cap. Not only the no headwings, but the boots and ammo belt.
He's also got the gray on the inner half of the tunic. I don't see the shoulder patch though, but they could have shrunk it for the articulation cutting through the shoulder.

I prefer the classic Cap look to the Ultimate, there's something more unique and characteristic of the time he came from with that outfit, without making it look intentionally dates. And the wings give it a little flair.

That Wolvie looks alright, but I won't be buying it. There's something too generic about that costume for my tastes, and Wolvie needs a smaller body with a hunch to it. Plus some way to do retractable claws (interchangeable fists would work best), and some costume stripes, always gotta do stripes. If this black & silver one had a second head with the cowl folded back though, that I would buy. But an ugly little generic red sword?

Beast
12-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm sure we'll get a Deluxe Wolverine with all that in the future. Heh.

The "Generic Red Sword" is the Muramasa Blade from Wolverine's book.

It was a "Magic Sword" that negates healing factors. Allowed him to kill Sabretooth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/MasterSplinter/Beast/WolverineMuramasa.jpg

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
It's pretty bland in the art, but Hasbro's version takes it to a new low - the hilt is the wrong shape, there's nothing dynamic about the accessory at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they borrowed this from a Joe figure and cast it in red. It makes sense with context, but man is it a crappy-looking accessory.

Beast
12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
It's pretty bland in the art, but Hasbro's version takes it to a new low - the hilt is the wrong shape, there's nothing dynamic about the accessory at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they borrowed this from a Joe figure and cast it in red. It makes sense with context, but man is it a crappy-looking accessory.
That's ok. It was a crappy story. *Tosses the sword in the bits box* :D

JetsAndHeels
12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I have always been more of a DC guy, but I will definately be getting some of these...Punisher and Iron Man primarily.

Beast
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
They've announced the Case Breakdown for Marvel Universe Wave 2.

Marvel Universe 3.75" Series 02 - Case of 12

1x Silver Surfer
1x Spider-Man
1x X-Force Wolverine
1x Human Torch (Fiery)
1x Iron Man (Red and Yellow)
2x Captain America (Ultimates)
1x Hulk
1x Grey Hulk
1x Green Goblin
1x Ronin
1x Iron Fist

Pretty decent case assortment. Carries forward the likely most popular figures from Wave 1.
And puts 2 Ultimate Caps in there, which is a good. Much like 2 Spideys in Wave 1.

Wait a tick. Looks like there's already a 2nd case revision for Wave 2.

Marvel Universe 3.75" Series 02 Revision 2 - Case of 12

1x Silver Surfer
1x Spider-Man
1x Human Torch (FF Costume)
1x Iron Man (Stealth)
1x Captain America (Ultimates)
2x Hulk
1x Black Panther
1x Green Goblin
1x Ronin
1x Iron Fist

So it looks like Grey Hulk will be the one to get right off the bat. Since he's not in the case revision. But since the previous variants keep shipping, he'll probably re-appear. And at least they're switching things up a bit. With the two cases shipping at once it should work fine.

No X-Force Wolvie, the Regular Human Torch, Stealth Iron Man's return. And 2 Green Hulks.

I'm definatly not going to order a case for Wave 2.
Mostly because at least with Wave 1 I was only getting an extra Spider-Man.

There's no way I'm ordering a set off BBTS either.
$69.99 for the set of 6. When you can order the case for $99.99.

I'll hunt Wave 2 down either in Stores or on Hasbro Toy Shop.

VexOrdo
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
They've announced the Case Breakdown for Marvel Universe Wave 2.

Marvel Universe 3.75" Series 02 - Case of 12

1x Silver Surfer
1x Spider-Man
1x X-Force Wolverine
1x Human Torch (Fiery)
2x Captain America (Ultimates)
1x Hulk
1x Grey Hulk
1x Green Goblin
1x Ronin
1x Iron Fist

Pretty decent case assortment. Carries forward the likely most popular figures from Wave 1.
And puts 2 Ultimate Caps in there, which is a good. Much like 2 Spideys in Wave 1.

Wait a tick. Looks like there's already a 2nd case revision for Wave 2.

Marvel Universe 3.75" Series 02 Revision 2 - Case of 12

1x Silver Surfer
1x Spider-Man
1x Human Torch (FF Costume)
1x Iron Man (Stealth)
1x Captain America (Ultimates)
2x Hulk
1x Black Panther
1x Green Goblin
1x Ronin
1x Iron Fist

So it looks like Grey Hulk will be the one to get right off the bat. Since he's not in the case revision. But since the previous variants keep shipping, he'll probably re-appear. And at least they're switching things up a bit. With the two cases shipping at once it should work fine.

No X-Force Wolvie, the Regular Human Torch, Stealth Iron Man's return. And 2 Green Hulks.

I'm definatly not going to order a case for Wave 2.
Mostly because at least with Wave 1 I was only getting an extra Spider-Man.

There's no way I'm ordering a set off BBTS either.
$69.99 for the set of 6. When you can order the case for $99.99.

I'll hunt Wave 2 down either in Stores or on Hasbro Toy Shop.
The series 2 case doesn't look too good, I'm definately ordering a case of wave 1, but like you said, I'll just hunt these others down.

Beast
12-29-2008, 09:29 PM
The series 2 case doesn't look too good, I'm definately ordering a case of wave 1, but like you said, I'll just hunt these others down.
They should have made a case revision with 2 of each new figure.

Beast
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Kastor's Corner has a great little review of the Modern Iron Man figure.

http://kastorskorner.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=40

Adam
12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I was on vacation, is it March yet??

JetsAndHeels
12-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Kastor's Corner has a great little review of the Modern Iron Man figure.

http://kastorskorner.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=40

Thanks for the link...I am looking forward to getting some of these, especially that Iron Man.

Beast
01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Marvelous News has a review of the Bullseye figure up...

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=79&itemid=11863

Beast
01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
And now Fwoosh has their review of Black Panther up now...

http://www.thefwoosh.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1215&Itemid=1

VexOrdo
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
The Bullseye is ok, not really liking the cards molded to the hand but whatever. I like the way they did the Top Secret file, pretty nifty.

Adam
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Seriously, it needs to be March like NOW.

VexOrdo
01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I wish I could bend space and time :(

JetsAndHeels
01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Seriously, it needs to be March like NOW.

I know what you mean...I want those Iron Man and Punisher figures bad.

Beast
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Apperantly someone on one of the Canadian Transformers boards found the figures for sale at their Wal-Mart. This is starting to get painful, we really will be the last country to get the figures at this point.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=100750&postcount=23

JetsAndHeels
01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Apperantly someone on one of the Canadian Transformers boards found the figures for sale at their Wal-Mart. This is starting to get painful, we really will be the last country to get the figures at this point.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=100750&postcount=23

Great, now I am starting to get flashbacks from when EP3 and Indiana Jones stuff was hitting stores early. I got turned down at the register each time. :(

And I want that Superman figure too.

VexOrdo
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
What the hell! I hate that, why do we always get the short end of the stick! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Beast
01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Confirmed that the cases do indeed have a sticker on them that say they're not to be put on the shelves until March 1st. And apperantly the Wolverine Origins line won't be put on the shelves until March 9th. No word what the Wolverine/X-Men toon figs say.

Zalis
01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, I for one cannot wait for this line. I never really bought any Marvel Legends toys, and was going to start before the announcement of these. I'm glad I waited, because I hate trying to catch up on things.

I think I'm looking forward to the Captain America, Thor, and Thing figures the most right now. Hasbro just needs to produce a few more villains, seeing as there are only three right now.

Beast
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Technically Four. Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Hand Ninja, and Red Hulk.
And there's Sabretooth in the Wolverine "Comic Series" line.

I do agree that there needs to be more villains. And more females. But interestingly enough, the Black Costume Spider-Man and 1st Appearance Ms. Marvel actually double as members of Norman Osborn's 'Dark Avengers'. Which is kinda cool. Now we need the others. :)

Zalis
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Technically Four. Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Hand Ninja, and Red Hulk.
And there's Sabretooth in the Wolverine "Comic Series" line.

I do agree that there needs to be more villains. And more females. But interestingly enough, the Black Costume Spider-Man and 1st Appearance Ms. Marvel actually double as members of Norman Osborn's 'Dark Avengers'. Which is kinda cool. Now we need the others. :)

Haha, I forgot about the Hand Ninja. And good call on the Ms. Marvel. :)

One question I do have, has anyone figured out if any Star Cases that are currently being produced will fit these figures? I'm planning on keeping these MOC, and would like to give them a little extra protection.

Beast
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Hasbro Toy Shop now has Wave 1 listed as Coming Soon:

Black Panther:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23428

Bullseye:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23429

Daredevil:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23427

Human Torch ("Flamed On"):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23423

Human Torch (F4 Uniform):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23431

Iron Man (Modern):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23426

Iron Man (Stealth Armor):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23430

Punisher:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23424

Silver Surfer:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23422

Spider-Man:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=805&ID=23425

Wolverine:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23421

DarkArtist
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
that's good news indeed Beast. hopefully this means they will be out sooner than the March launch date. already seeing alot of empty pegs in the stores. hoping to stop by one morning and score a few of them.

Beast
01-12-2009, 03:14 PM
that's good news indeed Beast. hopefully this means they will be out sooner than the March launch date. already seeing alot of empty pegs in the stores. hoping to stop by one morning and score a few of them.
Well, I know the cases are marked with a "Do Not Release Til 3/1/09" Sticker. Not the exact wording, but something along those lines.

DarthBrandon
01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, I know the cases are marked with a "Do Not Release Til 3/1/09" Sticker. Not the exact wording, but something along those lines.

These have been released here in Canada at Wal-Mart. I've seen them all (two days ago) except Punisher & Bullseye for $9.99, which IMHO is a little too much considering ToyBiz was selling 6" Marvel Legends for the same price that included a comic,figure & a build a piece.

Beast
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
These have been released here in Canada at Wal-Mart. I've seen them all (two days ago) except Punisher & Bullseye for $9.99, which IMHO is a little too much considering ToyBiz was selling 6" Marvel Legends for the same price that included a comic,figure & a build a piece.
Yeah, Canada is breaking street date. Or their cases arn't marked.

As for the price. You realize that was about 2-3 years ago, right?

The economy has changed. Material and Production Prices have gone up. And the comics were planned to be phased out regardless due to increasing costs. $7.99 for 3 3/4" figures is pretty average. Let's also remember that Marvel owned Toy Biz at the time.

Beast
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hasbro posted a news update. Though it's something we already knew.

The wait is over!
Hasbro reveals Wolverine Movie Action Figure Scale!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine debuts in 2009, and so does Hasbro’s new line of 3¾”-scale action figures! This incredible claw-popping collection features both Classic and Movie Wolverine, as well as the many villains he battles! Figures will be in stores March 1st. Check out Hasbro.com/marvel for more updates and product news!

TheRealDubya
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Hasbro posted a news update. Though it's something we already knew.

The wait is over!
Hasbro reveals Wolverine Movie Action Figure Scale!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine debuts in 2009, and so does Hasbro’s new line of 3¾”-scale action figures! This incredible claw-popping collection features both Classic and Movie Wolverine, as well as the many villains he battles! Figures will be in stores March 1st. Check out Hasbro.com/marvel for more updates and product news!

I'm going to need a second job.

Beast
01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Hasbro Toy Shop now has Wave 1 listed as Coming Soon:

Black Panther:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23428

Bullseye:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23429

Daredevil:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23427

Human Torch ("Flamed On"):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23423

Human Torch (F4 Uniform):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23431

Iron Man (Modern):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23426

Iron Man (Stealth Armor):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23430

Punisher:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23424

Silver Surfer:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23422

Spider-Man:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=805&ID=23425

Wolverine:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&ID=23421
They are now available for sale. With a shipping estimate of 3/2.

I ended up canceling my BBTS Pre-Order for them and ordering from Hasbro. It saves me getting an extra Spider-Man. And with the Smile8 (10%) coupon code ended up coming out less than the case would have.

1 of every figure plus shipping for $94.42. BBTS would have been $109.19.

Maradona
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tip, Beast! $96.40 shipped to Los Angeles. Saves me from going out and hunting.

Beast
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the tip, Beast! $96.40 shipped to Los Angeles. Saves me from going out and hunting.
I'm sure they will be out in abundance. But I figured I'd order the first wave so I could spread the cost out. I'll probably still hit the stores on the 1st. Mostly for the Wolverine movie line's comic figures. And to see if any of Wave 2 ended up hitting on the 1st as well.

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
The entire wave would be nice to have, but honestly I only want the 2 Iron Man figures and the Punisher. Once I see them in stores I may change my mind and pick up a few more though.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Street date without a direct movie to move them suggests to me that they expect heavy interest and want to ensure the pegs aren't emptied or pegwarmed with the slow-mover. I wonder if that'll come true.

Wow, a silhouette of Wolverine, I never saw it coming! ;)

Beast
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm sure they're thinking that by release them together, when people rush out to buy their Wolverine Movie Figures, they might be interested and pick up a few from Marvel Universe as well. Or vice versa. Hopefully the Wolverine/X-Men toon figures will be out that day also. :)

defiant00
01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
So since the Marvel Universe line and the Wolverine: Origins line both have a street date of 3/1, do you think TRU might to a midnight release like they have for other lines?

Beast
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
So since the Marvel Universe line and the Wolverine: Origins line both have a street date of 3/1, do you think TRU might to a midnight release like they have for other lines?
I don't think it's a big enough deal for a midnight release.

Go to Wal-Mart. Should be able to get them at midnight. :D

Beast
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's a sneak peak at Comic based figures of Blob and Sabretooth (Jim Lee) from the upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine "Comic Series" figure line. Props to Mr Fiend from Fwoosh for the pic.

I really like Blob. Though it doesn't look like he has much articulation. Of course, it's hard to articulate fat characters so I don't mind.

Sabretooth looks great though. I'm glad they did the more well known costume for him, in addition to the modern costume we've already seen.

Zalis
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, I was originally not going to collect much in the ways of the Wolverine Movie figures, but Blob and Sabretooth look amazing! Guess I'll be getting both now. :whip:

Beast
01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, I was originally not going to collect much in the ways of the Wolverine Movie figures, but Blob and Sabretooth look amazing! Guess I'll be getting both now. :whip:
I'm sure you're getting Deadpool from it also. Given your avatar. ;)

Beast
01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
spotted some new figures tonight including Dr. Fate, Superman, Hush, Spectre, Black Lightning and the Hawkman and green lantern 3 packs.
Psst. That's DC.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
hahaha time to move/delete that post. lolz

VexOrdo
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Here's a sneak peak at Comic based figures of Blob and Sabretooth (Jim Lee) from the upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine "Comic Series" figure line. Props to Mr Fiend from Fwoosh for the pic.

I really like Blob. Though it doesn't look like he has much articulation. Of course, it's hard to articulate fat characters so I don't mind.

Sabretooth looks great though. I'm glad they did the more well known costume for him, in addition to the modern costume we've already seen.
Phew, I was beginning to think the only Sabretooth would be the other crappy looking one. I like the original costume much better.

neosapian77
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Now that they're 3 3/4" we'll probably be seeing some vehicles. It'll be cool to see an X-jet, Avengers Quinjet or some Sentinal army builders. Imagine an X-mansion playset. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm so freaken excited.

I really can't wait to get these. Anybody knows the exact date in March on which they are coming out?

NerfTW
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Now that they're 3 3/4" we'll probably be seeing some vehicles. It'll be cool to see an X-jet, Avengers Quinjet or some Sentinal army builders. Imagine an X-mansion playset. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm so freaken excited.

I really can't wait to get these. Anybody knows the exact date in March on which they are coming out?

March 1st.

Seriously, why do we even bother having a thread? Is the Myspace generation so used to comments scrolling out of existence that they don't even look one page back?

Phantom-like Menace
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Seriously, why do we even bother having a thread? Is the Myspace generation so used to comments scrolling out of existence that they don't even look one page back?

I imagine we all come for the snarky comments.

Rocketboy
01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Anyone know when are these figures coming out?

:D

NerfTW
01-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Anyone know when are these figures coming out?

:D

*head asplodey* :dead:

El Chuxter
01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Those figures are teh awesomes! When are they coming out LOL?

neosapian77
01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
March 1st.

haha :D Why go a page back when I can just ask you? I sent for your service and you did your job lol :whip:

Beast
01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Today I finally received my Marvel Universe preview figure from Hasbro. Hasbro has been sending a random figure out to various sites, for them to put through the paces and review. And today I finally got my mitts on the figure they selected for us. Marvel Universe Figure 002 - Spider-Man.

While I was hoping for X-Force Wolverine, I have to say that if Spider-Man is any indication of the potential greatness for this line, then we're in for a serious treat. The sculpt, the articulation, the paint... all of it works great. I'm almost glad they sent Spider-Man after all. He's just about perfect.

As far as articulation goes, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of joints that Hasbro gave ole Spidey. He's got 20+ points, considering how you count them. A ball jointed head (1), ball-hinged shoulders (2), swivel biceps (2), hinged elbows (2), swivel wrists (2), ball-hinged torso (1), swivel waist (1), ball hinged hips (2), double-hinged knees (4), and ball-hinged ankles (2).

The figure lower body appears to primarily be molded in blue, with most of the upper body molded in red. The paint match between the molded sections and the painted sections work well. Spidey's classic blue/red costume looks great and the webbing is brought out with a nice wash of black paint. Both of Spidey's front and back Spider symbols stand out as do his eyes. There's no real signs of paint slop, outside of some uneven wash on his head webs.

As for accessories, Spider-Man comes with a stream of plastic "webbing" that fits on his wrist. The webbing is probably the weakest aspect of the figure. It doesn't really fit on his wrist that well, and it really doesn't look all that great. However the S.H.I.E.L.D. file is pretty cool. It comes with Spidey's SHRA (Superhuman Registration Act) I.D. card (featuring the same Frank Cho card art on it's reverse), a top secret surveillance log, and a secret code which will access online content when the Fury Files website eventually goes live.

When these figures come out on March 1st they'll retail for $7.99 in the U.S.A. While many will say that they're not worth it when Marvel Legend figures were $9.99 last year, I have to respectfully disagree. Just because a figure is 2+" smaller, doesn't mean it should be significantly cheaper. And we're already seeing Marvel Legends going for $10.99 in some stores. I think the figures are more than worth the price, and I'm definitely on board for the long haul. :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Sounds great Beast, thanks a bunch!

More or less what I expected, and I can't wait to see them in person myself come March 1st.

As far as the $8 price goes, it's not a big shocker. Though I think we'd all like to see them selling for a buck or two less, it all boils down to the final quality of the product. The risk they run with a higher price is pretty much the same that they've got for any of their other toy lines: if the figures aren't really great, then people will be less apt to say, "Oh, what the heck." and buy them anyway.

At this point though, I think they have enough excitement and momentum built up to keep this thing sailing for a good long while. I've no doubt that this one will appeal to both kids and their space-starved parents, who'll appreciate the smaller size, as well as collectors... who'll also appreciate the smaller size. ;)

Beast
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
As far as the $8 price goes, it's not a big shocker. Though I think we'd all like to see them selling for a buck or two less, it all boils down to the final quality of the product. The risk they run with a higher price is pretty much the same that they've got for any of their other toy lines: if the figures aren't really great, then people will be less apt to say, "Oh, what the heck." and buy them anyway.
Of course....

They could've priced 'em less and made them crappy like DC Infinite Heroes.

But then I for one wouldn't be buying them. And would be raising a huge stink.

Beast
01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I've got some new updated/clearer pics of the X-Men Origins: Wolverine "Comic Series" companion figures for this line. I'm sorta uncertain about this line. Mostly due to the fact that while the costumes are 616, they seem to have made the figures with the claws coming from between the knuckles, like in the movie, instead of the back of the hand. Gambit, Sabretooth, Maverick, and Deadpool are fine though. I wonder how difficult a hand mod for Wolverine would be?

Beast
01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Posted the 5 Wolverine versions above. Here's the others...

Daryl VayDar
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Great catch on the claws- I didn't notice that before and it really does bring it all down a notch. The sad part is that the Weapon X and Military figures probably would not get a second shot any time soon for re-molded hands. His primary outfits should be popping up in the main line pretty regularly, so Hasbro could tweak those hands unless they decided that they wanted to use the movie style as "definitive" in the various toy lines...

Beast
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Great catch on the claws- I didn't notice that before and it really does bring it all down a notch. The sad part is that the Weapon X and Military figures probably would not get a second shot any time soon for re-molded hands. His primary outfits should be popping up in the main line pretty regularly, so Hasbro could tweak those hands unless they decided that they wanted to use the movie style as "definitive" in the various toy lines...
Nah. The X-Force Wolverine figure has the comic accurate claws.

I may ask them about this in the next Hasbro Q&A they do.

Daryl VayDar
01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
That would be a solid question- best to make sure that it's on their radar early. The last thing we want is the Star Wars scenario where we end up with 13 tiger-stripe outfits before they manage to make the good one...

plasticfetish
01-23-2009, 06:16 AM
They could've priced 'em less and made them crappy like DC Infinite Heroes.Or they could have priced 'em more, and made them crappy like the Infinite Heroes line.

In the case of Infinite Heroes, the price has nothing to do with the quality. It's not like Mattel decided, "Oh yeah, we'll just set out to make a half-assed line, but price them low so that no one will care." Mattel seems to have simply done what Mattel does with small figure lines: feeb out.

Besides, I'm not sucker enough to think that two ounces worth of plastic pellets here or there is enough to justify a given price hike or drop. A crummy design doesn't cause something to be $5 rather than $7 either. These companies determine their prices based on what they think the market will bare. The concept of "value" is something that we all determine, not them. Sure... they'll always say that what they're selling is priced exactly as it needs to be, or that $8 (or whatever) is what they "need" to charge for a toy like this.

I've yet to hear a statement from any company where they say that they've jacked their prices up a little higher compared to years past, because they think they've got a hot concept that'll sell well regardless of material or licensing costs. (Or that they recently took a bath with a movie related line, and they're hoping to make it up with something else. ;))

But then I for one wouldn't be buying them. And would be raising a huge stink.I've yet to see you turn your nose up to a Marvel/Hasbro toy for any reason, so...

Beast
01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I've yet to see you turn your nose up to a Marvel/Hasbro toy for any reason, so...
Sure I have. Just like with Toy Biz, I don't buy anything outside of X-Men figures in ML, unless it's for the BAF. Superhero Squad and Marvel Universe is the first time I've been excited about non-X figures.

El Chuxter
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Mattel seems to have simply done what Mattel does with small figure lines: feeb out.

Did you see the Speed Racer figures? Infinite Heroes beats those by miles. As big a fan of the movie as I was, I couldn't bring myself to buy a single one. Not even on clearance. Only Chim-Chim looked even close to passable.

Beast
01-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Wave 2 of Marvel Universe is listed as Coming Soon on Hasbro.Com.

It looks like those who thought Wave 1 and 2 would hit around the same time, to get 17 figures out roughly as the line launches, just like Indiana Jones, may be right on the money. Add in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine figures, and there's gonna be a crazy level of stuff hitting. Good to be a Marvel fan.

Ultimate Captain America:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&SBR=726&ID=23659

Green Goblin:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=805&SBR=444&ID=23660

Incredible Hulk:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&SBR=726&ID=23661

Incredible Hulk (Grey Variant):
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&SBR=726&ID=23664

Iron Fist:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&SBR=726&ID=23663

Ronin:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=820&SBR=726&ID=23662

plasticfetish
01-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Did you see the Speed Racer figures?Yes, I saw them and was embarrassed for Mattel. But I'll admit that though I've found one or two of the IH figure to be sort of fun, they're really just as bad as the horrid Speed Racer toys.

Sure I have. Just like with Toy Biz, I don't buy anything outside of X-Men figures in ML, unless it's for the BAF. Superhero Squad and Marvel Universe is the first time I've been excited about non-X figures.Then I retract what I said.

...and we all agree that Mattel can't put out a 3-3/4" line to save their lives, and that as long as the new Marvel figures aren't coated with anthrax, they'll probably be a big hit for Hasbro.

defiant00
01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I just realized that March 1 is a Sunday, are the staffs at all these stores really going to put this stuff out on a Sunday morning? I think that for some stores it may end up being Monday, or they'll break the street date and put them out when they show up in the week prior...

Beast
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I just realized that March 1 is a Sunday, are the staffs at all these stores really going to put this stuff out on a Sunday morning? I think that for some stores it may end up being Monday, or they'll break the street date and put them out when they show up in the week prior...
Yes. A Sunday.

And what comes out on Sundays? Store Ads. ;)

Besides, most stores stock the night before.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Nah, he's right, you'll likely not see these streeted until Monday en masse. Oh sure, hunting will find them, but I suspect the overnighters will do the big displays.

plasticfetish
01-27-2009, 02:43 AM
No, I can see them pulling a big Sunday launch. The weekend is primetime for retail, and right now most places need whatever kind of draw that they can get. (Don't thing TRU or Target doesn't have someone doing merchandising on a Saturday night, or early Sunday morning.)

What we'll probably see, is some of these leaking out on Saturday.

Beast
01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Some early news from the UK Toy Fair.

The first two Comic 2-Packs for Marvel Universe will be based on the 25th Anniversary of Secret Wars. Each will come with a reprint comic. No word on who's in the sets as of yet, but I'm hoping for Beyonder and Dr. Doom at least.

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Dr. Doom + Secret Wars = Overload. In the original Secret Wars toyline, there was no figure more produced than Doom. Not even Spidey in both costumes!

ZeoVGM
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, new to the site. Just now getting back into figures and stuff (thanks to the so-mind-numbingly-cute-I-feel-like-a-chick-collecting-them Mighty Muggs) browsing the net to find the best sites for news and such. Came across this thread and I haven't even looked at the rest of the site yet. :D

Couple questions maybe you guys could help me with. The first is simple. In the upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine line, the first wave of 9 figures is labeled the Comic Series. Are they going to be putting out a Movie Series as the movie gets closer? Just seems weird they would only do comic versions for a movie line, as much as I like the figures.

The second question is that I'm a bit confused about the Marvel Universe Waves.

I'm looking at the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Universe_(toyline))and it confuses me, because it lists Black Costume Spider-Man, Classic Iron Man, Punisher with new head sculpt, and The Thing as part of Wave 3 (along with with winged-helmet Iron Man, Hand Ninja, Ms. Marvel, classic Ms. Marvel, and Nick Fury -- then it lists Moon Knight, red Hulk, and Union Jack under Wave 4). But MarvelousNews shows in box pictures of BC Spidey, Classic Iron Man, Punisher, and Thing as part of Wave 2.

So my questions are, what exactly are the correct lineups for the different Waves and when can we expect Waves 2 and 3 (I know Wave 1 is March 1)?

Beast
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the site! I'll see what I can do.

1: According to a poster on another site from the UK Toy Fair, there will be a movie series as well. One of the figures being a tank top wearing Logan with interchangable hands. One set with claws popped, the other just regular hands. We haven't heard much else who will be in the movie waves as of yet. Hopefully at NYCC next weekend. That's when we'll learn more about everything.

2: Marvelous News screwed up. Most sites did. Hasbro has them correctly listed on their website as Wave 3. But the info seems to have gotten confused in the press releases that went out. Since they showed Wave 2 and some of Wave 3 together, most of the sites seem to have missed the fact that it was a seperate Wave. But yeah, BC Spidey, Classic Iron Man, Punisher, and Thing are Wave 3.

Here's the current line-up. Not including the Wolverine subline.

Wave 1:

Black Panther
Bullseye
Daredevil
Human Torch (Flamed On)
Human Torch (F4 costume)
Iron Man (Modern)
Iron Man (Stealth Armor)
Punisher (Classic)
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Wolverine (X-Force)

Wave 2:

Hulk (Green)
Hulk (Gray)
Green Goblin
Ronin
Ultimate Captain America
Iron Fist

Wave 3:

Black Costume Spider-Man
The Thing
Punisher (Modern)
Classic Iron Man
Ms. Marvel
Hand Ninja
Nick Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D. Soldier (Mail-Away)

Wave 4:

Union Jack
Red Hulk
Moon Knight

To Be Determined:

Blade
Colossus
Hobgoblin
Iron Man (Classic - Bolted Mask) - [Likely Wave 3 Variant]
Ms. Marvel (1st Appearance) - [Likely Wave 3 Variant]
Thor (Modern)

Wave 2 should be out a little while after Wave 1. No word on Wave 3 yet.

ZeoVGM
01-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Fantastic. Thanks!

My only complaint about the line, really, is that I wish the box said "Ultimate Captain America" to distinguish him. Haha.

But other than that, I haven't been this excited about a line in a while. I think Hasbro has dropped the ball on Marvel since they first got it. I thought their whole Spider-Man 3 line was pretty terrible, for example.

But looking at Marvel Universe, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Spectacular Spider-Man, they're on the right track.