PDA

View Full Version : Droid practically becomes an apologist for Hasbro.

Droid
07-26-2008, 01:17 AM
I have done my fair of Hasbro complaining over the years. I was furious about the April Fool's Joke, about year after year without Yarna, about the exclusives and distribution in the McQuarrie line, etc.

But I must say this year has been a turning point for me. It seems like my collection is really coming together and Hasbro is steadily filling in the gaps. I can't believe how many characters there have been made from the cantina and Jabba's Palace. They have almost remade all of the vintage figures. So many of the worst sculpts have been redone. Figures are vanishing off of the list remaining from Tycho's Top 50 list we put together years ago. Tonight I got Yarna and couldn't be happier. The joints are pretty obvious, but she can really be posed in so many positions. Who ever thought Yarna would get the super articulated treatment? I just hoped if she was shoved in a cinema scene the sculpt was passable.

Though I was sorry there was so much Clone Wars stuff this year and that Indiana Jones may have taken some resources from the main line, the A New Hope wave that is coming early next year that was supposed to be this year looks great. I can wait.

Some of us are mad about the Clone Wars line and the animated style, but if it wasn't for this new movie the line might not be driving forward for the other stuff we do want. Tonight it seems many of us saw kids really excited about the new Clone Wars toys, animated and all.

Some of us are mad about scaling issues. I have been among them with the dome droid last year. But if the only Sarlaac or homestead we ever get is a little undersized than I am glad to have it. I am sure Hasbro knows we'd like them bigger and the employees would probably like to make them bigger. This is probably all the line can support right now. (Not that there isn't always room for improvement or constructive criticism).

And I know around here we can get negative and there have even been threads about how some of us are never happy. And that is still true to a degree, but I was over in rebelscum's forums today trying to find what was said at the Q&A and the negativity was unbelievable. So many people saying this had been Hasbro's last chance and they blew it. Furious there wasn't an Empire Strikes Back wave. Calling the items that were shown garbage. Mad hardly anything new was shown when rebelscum is the main culprit for revealing rumors before Hasbro officially does so. Outraged there wasn't a Death Star II Luke (which is a WAY overdue figure, but was anyone expecting it to be announced today anyway?). Complaint after complaint.

This year we got the AT-TE and BMFalcon, which people have begged for and which open the door for bigger vehicles. The homestead and Sarlaac are coming, opening the door to playsets which we have been asking for forever.

We got Yarna and Breha Organa for heaven's sake! THREE cantina aliens, a carded Han Stormtrooper, and a Spacetrooper all in one wave.

There are things I don't want. I don't buy them.

There are things I want they haven't made. At this point I'll just wait. If they make five or six figures a year I really wanted I'll be pleased. If the line ends and I don't have Cliegg Lars or Bom Vimdin I'll be a little put out, but for now I'll just wait and see.

I know I have been very vocal against Hasbro at times, but my view is improving.

That isn't to say I won't criticize a figure or quarrel with a marketing decision or lambast a Q&A answer or be baffled as to why a certain figure hasn't been made, but I have a collection I never could have fathomed in 1995.

Tarkin. Aunt Beru. Slave Leia. Wuher. Cantina Band Member. Admiral Ozzel. Yarna. The homestead. I still just can't believe how great it all is.

Banthaholic
07-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Nicely said Droid.

I was a bit puit off with all of the EU stuff this year. But with the Lars homestead, Sarlaac pit and upcoming Yavin pack they have redeemed themselves. Plus they made a Yarna, wokling and an ewok 3 pack on the way.

Name any other toy line that is as spoiled as us. There isn't one. While it takes a fanbase it also takes a company willing to take a chance on Yarna, or the 5th alien from the right you see for a microsecond. Brilliant.

mark2d2
07-26-2008, 04:11 AM
It's been a rough year to be sure for OT collectors.

That said -- there is light at the end of the tunnel. At long last. Picked up Yarna tonight and she is a real treat -- hideous beast that she is. Of all the awful creatures in Jabba's Palace I always thought she was one of the most creative and most interesting. Here she is at long last with some nifty little details like the dagger and amber drinking glass.

Then --- of course --- the BMF. Wow. Just. . . wow. What else is there to say. Awesome. I could go on and on and on, but so many have. Really. What is there left to say but that this ship pretty much exactly how I would have designed it.

And now today Comic Con has brought on a slew of welcome confirmations (the ANH wave) and some even more interesting surprises (R5-A2 and the mind-blowing Scramble on Yavin Battle Pack.)

The ANH wave is simply brilliant. Not only does it contain one of my holy grail figures. . . the long dreamed about WED-15 "Septoid 2." But the figure is truly a thing of beauty. Look, Hasbro could have cut corners and just tossed him into the mix cheaply and I'd probably have been thrilled to have him. But no. The level of detail is amazing. We are talking FX-7 good. Each of the arms appears to not only have articulation but wires or hoses as well. Simply outstanding. Plus it comes with a spiffy retooled Jawa that is packing that cool blaster that zapped Artoo.

This same wave also includes Wioslea. (With soft goods even, did I design this wave or what?) Then not two, but three cantina aliens round out this half of the wave by completely the coolest Build A Droid figure yet. . .R5-A2. The one I have been dreaming about for years and years.

That's seven --- count 'em! -- seven figures for the price of four.

1) Jawa
2) Wed-15 "Septoid 2'
3) Wioslea
4) Trinto
5) Dice (Trinto pack in)
6) Brainiac
7) R5-A2 (Build A Droid Bonus)

Then there is the Homestead. Is it pricey? Yes. Do the figures kind of suck? Um, okay. . .yeah. But its the frigging Homestead! And it's beautifully done. I'm seriously digging the vintagesque base... And how amazing will this piece look displayed beside my beloved OTC Sandcrawler with all the droids lined up? Um, very!

The last item worthy of comment is the VERY unexpected Scramble on Yavin battle pack. Wow. . . what a surprise. Not only do we get a droid that I've been hoping for for years and years. . . but a spiffy vehicle I never thought we'd ever see. Heck, even the technician figure looks cooler than cool.

Indeed. . . collecting Star Wars just got fun again. So thanks, Hasbro. Thanks.

Adam
07-27-2008, 02:55 AM
I am really suprised by some of the people on other forums. They are foaming at the mouth because they are not getting a table with their Ben Kenobi. I mean seriously, its rediculous to get that upset over furniture for action figures. I am dissapointed that more wasn't shown at comic con(WEDGE!!!!??). But I can wait, its not like it used to be before I discovered fan sites and the only time I knew there were new figures was when I saw them on the shelves. We sure are spoiled these days.

I think this year is looking good personally. While I honestly cannot concieve why people want Yarna, I am glad that she was made for the people who have been wanting her for years. Same goes with any cantina figures and more so for Bane Malar. I finally got to ditch that dinky BP Clone-Armor Kenobi for the awesome new one so I'm pretty happy, and really that entire wave is awesome. Going forward, the line is looking pretty good to me.

AmanaMatt
07-27-2008, 09:56 AM
For me personally, this year has been very, very mixed. As an OT collector (with some prequel), we had one good wave this year in Jan, then nothing until July 26...the BMF, Yarna, Balor goes a long way toward mending OT collector pain, but the ANH wave doesnt hit until Jan....

Personally speaking, aside from the BMF and a couple of figs, this has probably been my least favorite year to collect since the modern line started in 1995. I just can't get into EU, and that clearly is the focus.

Sideshow has been the company to get my OT juices flowing this year.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I so very much wanted that table from Obi-Wan. I have no problem sacrificing the Brainiac one, that is a snore, but Obi-Wan's is from the holo Leia scene. It's definitely a piece I'll be pushing for in the future, like the Geonosian cannon. That said, I'm still happy with that wave and that figure so far from what we've seen. I think ever since the ROTS line ended, things have been going well for the line - very mixed, sure, but generally well.

Ando
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I have done my fair of Hasbro complaining over the years. I was furious about the April Fool's Joke, about year after year without Yarna, about the exclusives and distribution in the McQuarrie line, etc...

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the April Fool's Day joke and when was it?

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
The joke was in 2006's Hasbro panel slideshow, they claimed a new wave was coming and showed the names for Yarna, Willrow Hood, dead Jawas, dead Owen & Beru, and I think 1 more item, then pulled the rug out from everybody saying "ha ha, not really" which led to a huge uproar.

Ando
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
The joke was in 2006's Hasbro panel slideshow, they claimed a new wave was coming and showed the names for Yarna, Willrow Hood, dead Jawas, dead Owen & Beru, and I think 1 more item, then pulled the rug out from everybody saying "ha ha, not really" which led to a huge uproar.

Ouch. I can imagine. I'm all for practical jokes, but that's kinda mean especially when they know that the collectors are all clamoring for certain figures.

Droid
08-01-2008, 04:09 PM
The other figure was a Funeral Pyre Vader and I'm still kind of mad about it.

I don't mind them pulling the Obi-wan and Brainiac tables because I think they may be the starting points for some cool sets. Repack Ben's trunk from last year, put in the table and start a little hovel playset. And I'm hoping the cantina turns up in a cantina playset.

But they really should have included the table with Brainiac. I'll buy one of that figure without the table and would have bought five with the table.

2-1B
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
first Hasbro, next George Lucas ?

Droid
08-01-2008, 07:54 PM
first Hasbro, next George Lucas ?

No chance.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 03:57 AM
"F**k the maker!"

2-1B
08-03-2008, 05:15 PM