PDA

View Full Version : The 4 upcoming Cantina Aliens

Cane_Adiss
07-26-2008, 04:08 AM
So what does everyone think about the 4 cantina aliens just revealed at Hasbro's slideshow presentation, and the rest of wave 1 '09? Have they really nailed them? Does Brainiac's head look too small? How do you feel about Wioslea's headsculpt? Her softgoods? What is your opinion on Hasbro's interpretation of Dice Ibegon's complete physiology?

Well to start off, let me say that I've REALLY been looking forward to seeing these figures since they were unofficially "announced" via rumor reports awhile back. And let me say, overall I'm more than impressed.

Brainiac ~ I have to admit, when I looked at him I thought two things: His head is too small and he's in his Holiday Special clothes. Well, judging his appearance in the fuzzy scans on Rebelscum doesn't really do the figure justice i guess. That's a neat table accessory he comes with as well. I can't wait for Arliel Schous, F'u Man-chu and Bom Vimdin to complete that scene!

Wioslea ~ First off, she IS in the cantina but she's very hard to spot if you don't know where to look. Second, judging by the available photo I'd have to say Hasbro nailed this one. Although it doesnt appear she has eyes at the end of her antennae like I think she's supposed to. The softgoods were a nice touch and sortof unexpected. I'm glad you can have her hood up or down if you so choose. It looks as if Hasbro gave her some interesting sculpted alien legs underneath her robe as well, instead of plain boring boots or something. I hope she's super articulated but you can't really tell. Also, I'm assuming that's actually Obi-Wan's lightsaber at her feet, and that it won't be her accessory but a blaster instead.

Trinto Duaba ~ Its hard to tell what the face sculpt really looks like, but everything else looks pretty good. It's nice to see they made his headscarf thingy removeable, but I was sortof expecting that. It looks like they took some liberty with his outfit, but I don't think any really good ref. photos exist other than the one pic on wookieepedia.

Dice Ibegon ~ This was the one I was really holding my breath for. I kinda knew she'd only be done as an "accessory" so I was trying not to expect too much. But lo and behold, I'm pleasantly suprised at how Hasbro solved the problem of the Florn Lamproid body. Something that I'm shocked hasn't shown up in any EU reference material before now. Hasbro really made her interesting, with multiple arms and what looks like some limited articulation (it's really difficult to tell for sure). My only gripes are that I think she is too small (and not long enough) and that she may not be much more than a solid statue. I was hoping for something you could bend and pose but this doesn't look like it will be the case.

Anyway, overall I'm happy with the entire Wave 1 '09. The rest of the figures in the wave I'm somewhat less excited about but also look great. The build-a-droids are cool and appropriate for the wave. I'm sure many people will be made happy with these!

Next cantina patrons I'm crossing my fingers for are Tzizvvt, Leesub Sirln, Melas, Arliel Schous and Solomahal. Bring 'em on Hasbro, and thanks for these by the way!

bigbarada
07-26-2008, 04:23 AM
Well, first of all, Wioslea isn't a Cantina Alien, he's the Mos Eisley merchant that bought Luke's landspeeder.

Even so, all four aliens look really good so far. I was kind of worried about Dice, since I feel that Hasbro really screwed up Hem Dazon; but he turned out pretty good from what I can make out in the picture.

sebillba
07-26-2008, 04:57 AM
These will probably be the highlight of my collecting year, but I still can't get that excited about them..... I won't be happy till they make Bom Vimdin. Once I've got him, I'll love any other cantina patron we get, but until then I resent any others for taking up his slot!!!

These look pretty good though. As a glorified accessory, Dice looks a lot more interesting than I was expecting.

mark2d2
07-26-2008, 05:19 AM
They all rock. I, too, had fears about Dice, but they proved to be unfounded. Trinto looks fine -- the way they did the hood is pretty clever, actually. Brainiac is cooler than I imagined. I am a bit peeved to learn though that he will NOT come with the oh-so-awesome table. . . Wioslea is truly awesome, too. The design of this character is so frigging wierd she could look really, really bad. But somehow, she doesn't. Instead she looks awesome! And I think soft goods were truly the way to go. Bravo, Hasbro. Bravo.

I hope they do come with glasses, though. My guess is that they will.

PS -- The really added bonus to all of them is that along with my Holy Grail figure of Wed-15 "Septoid 2" they come with all the necessary pieces for the wicked cool "streets of Mos Eisley" R5-A2.

Jargo
07-26-2008, 06:48 AM
weirdly, I drew some designs after a discussion here about Dice. hasbro's take is more or less the same as the way I envisioned her to look. looks like they took their design cue from one of the Dejarik game characters same as I did.

Trinto looks good considering we never see his lower half in the movie.

Brainiac comes with a cantina table which is cool.

Wioslea is one I never thought we'd see.

what I'm unsure of is who comes with a lightsaber?

sebillba
07-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Brainiac comes with a cantina table which is cool.

Apparently he doesn't after all, and Obi-Wan won't come with his table either. It's in a Q&A somewhere, which I haven't found yet.

obi-dad
07-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Apparently he doesn't after all, and Obi-Wan won't come with his table either. It's in a Q&A somewhere, which I haven't found yet.

You can find that terrible news here: http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/SDCC08_Hasbro_Star_Wars_Indiana_JonesLIVE_116479.a sp

2009 SNEAK PEEK
THE CLONE WARS

Padme
Magnaguard (Magnaguard Fighter is coming...oops, wasn't supposed to reveal that!)
Clone Space Trooper
R3-S6

THE LEGACY COLLECTION
Han Solo (Stormtrooper)
Luke (Stormtrooper)
Ben Kenobi (the table shown will not be included )
Space Trooper
Jawa with WED Droid
Brainiac (again, no table included)
Wioslea
Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon
BADs R2-N5 & R5-A2

As I posted everywhere else I mentioned this news, hasbro already went to the trouble to sculpt and mold these tables, so they will be coming somehow at an unknown time in the future. I just hope now that we know that they will be making playsets, that this is an indication that Obi-Wan's hovel & parts of the Cantina will eventually be made. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be a legit reason to hold them back.

obi-dad
07-26-2008, 11:01 AM
what I'm unsure of is who comes with a lightsaber?

It's Obi-Wan's lightsaber.

Jargo
07-26-2008, 01:49 PM
www.confused.com. :( why show the acessories in the pictures then?

have to say also, the presentation slides were f* terribly put together. for a huge company like hasbro that's unforgivable. they looked like a two minute job. I'm no graphics wizard but for a presentation i could have done better with my eyes shut.

wioslea's little feet look cool.

Devo
07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
PS -- The really added bonus to all of them is that along with my Holy Grail figure of Wed-15 "Septoid 2" they come with all the necessary pieces for the wicked cool "streets of Mos Eisley" R5-A2.

Excellent! They really are pumping out all the R5s now after so many years when we had none. So thats R5-M2 from echo base, the red leader R5 in the Scramble on Yavin BP and now R5-A2 from Mos Eisley.

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Wioslea is a she.

And the color looked a bit too light in the slide. It might just be their photography, though.

obi-dad
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Why oh why must we wait until wave 1 2009? Wasn't waiting for July 26th bad enough? Is there any other 100% confirmed wave as good as this? Are there any PT or CW fans out there that are more excited about any other wave? As much as I wanted to see the ESB wave, I guess I'm glad there's not another wave of pictures I'm having to wait for.