PDA

View Full Version : Box Office Results

obi-dad
07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
When I was out last night, I got to thinking that I'd really like to see Hasbro post some kind of results of how the Falcon & AT-TE sold for the first week. I really don't care to hear about the figures/Evo sets/smaller vehicles, etc (though that would be cool) since I could see the results of that right before my eyes at multiple stores. But, I'd love to hear how we are voting with our dollars on the larger vehicles and if they are happy with rate that they are selling.

bigbarada
07-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a good question to submit for the q&a.

Ji'dai
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
The big stuff isn't moving here. I went to the other WM this morning close to noon and it looked like the Falcons and AT-TEs were untouched. There were only two collectors (including myself) at the other WM here last night and neither of us got the big vehicles.

The local TRU didn't have any Falcons and only a couple AT-TEs this morning. I didn't go there last night so they may not have had any Falcons. I kinda doubt it given the huge display they have up front for Clone Wars.

mark2d2
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
At the Toys R Us here in Los Feliz, CA -- just east of Hollywood -- the Falcons were flying off the shelves. Not only did all of the ones in the display vanish in minutes. But the employees kept bring out more and more from the back as people snapped them up happily.

Beast
07-26-2008, 12:32 PM
They'll probably refuse to give sales numbers. As usual.

And likely won't know immediatly how well they're selling just how many went out.

If asked, the most likely answer will be that sales are meeting or exceeding expectations.

Jargo
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
they have now til fall for units to sell through, then most likely a refresh at christmas. they wouldn't be able to tell for sure til year end most likely.

bigbarada
07-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I counted five Falcons in the island display last night (unless they are double stacked, then it would be 9). I went back today and not a single one has sold.

They might have sold one AT-TE, I'm not sure, they might have just moved one over to the toy aisle, since there was one sitting there this afternoon.

The figures are moving pretty quickly.

Cane_Adiss
07-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Figures are moving pretty quickly in my area as well. My local Wal-Mart was out of Wave 2 Legacy by this morning, and almost out of Clone Wars. I bought the Falcon then, and it looked like I was the only one who bought any vehicle whatsoever from there. Likewise, at Target many of the Legacy figures were gone and there were mostly clone wars figures on the pegs. There was an abundance of the exclusive Commander Fox figure, but due to the price I guess people were passing on him.

Interesting thing is that last night there were no Evolutions to be found, but today there were tons of them. Rebel Pilots 1 and Fett Legacy seem to be the shelf warmers. There were far less Padme and Rebel Pilots 2 sets, and no Imperial sets whatsoever.

jedi master sal
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
My local TRU got in about 20 Falcons and at the end of MM, there were only 3 left. So that was excellent news.

As well they got in about a dozen AT-TEs and there were only 2-3 of those left.

So at least at my store, these were a resounding success.

I think it's just going to take a couple of days, once word of mouth hits that new SW stuff is out and kids/parents alike will be out to find it.

We collectors (and some smart kids with understanding parents) score the booty last night. Everyone else has their shot now, though it's a little harder with lass product to find initially due to our scouring the pegs (again, at least in my area).

Tycho
07-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Southern California is known to be the strongest market for this stuff - I guess because of Hollywood being such a locally strong influence? Or maybe lifestyle and priorities here are different from other regions?

But the reports from the stores around me in San Diego are that they completely sold out of their orders (Wal-Mart and TRU. I don't know how Target did this morning).

Granted, Comic Con was going on here and people are just going nuts for this stuff.

I bought 4 Homing Spiders, 2 Torrents, 2 AT-TEs, and 1 Falcon. I've only opened the Falcon thus far - and it keeps you very busy!

But the Wal-Mart I shop at was wiped out of the big stuff for certain!

At Comic Con, the Hasbro Star Wars team said they were very pleased with what they were hearing about the intitial offering.

figrin bran
07-27-2008, 12:43 AM
At the Toys R Us here in Los Feliz, CA -- just east of Hollywood -- the Falcons were flying off the shelves. Not only did all of the ones in the display vanish in minutes. But the employees kept bring out more and more from the back as people snapped them up happily.

There were lots of Falcons at that same store this morning but only 1 AT-TE. In fact out of the 7 stores I visited today, I only saw 2 AT-TE's total. Only TRU seemed to have Falcons.

SplFrcsCWO
07-27-2008, 01:26 AM
The BMF is almost sold-out at my WM but I'm still the only AT-TE buyer almost 24hrs later. I really thought the AT-TE would do better than that.

plasticfetish
07-27-2008, 01:29 AM
They'll probably refuse to give sales numbers. As usual.Yeah, there's no way that they'd give any kind of info like that. And not because they wouldn't want to, but because the retailers would never make specific numbers public.

Southern California is known to be the strongest market for this stuff - I guess because of Hollywood being such a locally strong influence? Or maybe lifestyle and priorities here are different from other regions?No... it's probably more to do with Southern California being at the center of the universe. :razz:

But mostly to do with the fact that South Cal is made up of so many densely populated suburban areas, that are full of places like Target, Wal-Mart and TRU. In a lot of ways, it's easier to be a "collector" when you have those resources.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have no doubt that the big ships are probably selling well enough in my area, but just the same, I spotted them on the shelves this afternoon when I did a quick hunt. I have a feeling that in the first few weeks (months?), they'll be going to collectors mostly. Today I overheard a woman (a mom) saying to her husband, "Oh great. It's $150 and now they made it bigger. Where the hell would we put that?" I can still see them selling once the holidays roll around though. I think the AT-TE in particular will be a big hit with the kids.

Tycho
07-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Today I overheard a woman (a mom) saying to her husband, "Oh great. It's $150 and now they made it bigger. Where the hell would we put that?"

Haha. That made me laugh. That's a question even us single-bachelor life collectors are asking themselves, too.

Hasbro's coming out with the in-scale Super Star Destroyer next week.

You only need to rent an entire warehouse to display it ;)

jedi master sal
07-27-2008, 10:11 AM
haha. That Made Me Laugh. That's A Question Even Us Single-bachelor Life Collectors Are Asking Themselves, Too.

Hasbro's Coming Out With The In-scale Super Star Destroyer Next Week.

You Only Need To Rent An Entire Warehouse To Display It ;)

I'm There!

Snowtrooper
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
In my area only 1 Wal-Mart out of 3 put out the big vehicles, probably because of the limited amount of collectors in my area. The one that did had around 10 of each and by the end of the day had sold 2-3 of each. The figures flew off the shelf, especially TLC ones. Smaller vehicles and battlepacks sold well too. The lady stocking the shelves commented that she's going to have to place orders for more since they apparently put everything they had out on the floor. Looks like a good sign.

bobafrett
07-29-2008, 06:48 PM
We had a displayer with Falcons on one side, and the walkers on the other. Today I noticed one Falcon gone, and I thought to myself "Good, we sold one", but then I thought, "It's probably back in returns when the customer got up to the register with it, and found out the price".

My boss said to me "Those Falcons look like they are right up your alley", to which I replied, "Yeah, as soon as I get all my other bills paid, I do like to have a place to store my toys".

Old Fossil
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I replied, "Yeah, as soon as I get all my other bills paid, I do like to have a place to store my toys".

Right there with you on that, sir.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
My local TRUs have a ton of Falcons, I haven't seen a lot of AT-TEs but I haven't been looking, the Falcon is always front and center.

Hasbro won't release sales data, they said to us at the con the sales info they received Friday night into Saturday was very promising, but it's company policy to not give out that kind of info.

Tycho
08-02-2008, 03:15 AM
My Wal-Mart (that I did MM at with Crunchy) remains completely sold out of Falcons.

I think TRU has 3. Target had 1 the other day, but I think that sold.

TRU had 5 AT-TEs I think. Target has 3. Wal-Mart sold all out of theirs.

All locations have tons of figures. Mostly Animated and Saga Legends. Legacy's new figures sell out fast.

Wal-Mart appeared to have gotten in new cases of the $20 vehicles, as the Homing Spider (1) and Torrent (1) returned, along with V-wings, Obi-Wan's JSF, etc.

TRU and Wal-Mart are starting to get the Comic 2-packs in. They're moving slowly, if I read it right. Wal-Mart especially has some old stock.

The Evolutions are coming in but the Fett Legacy is shelf-warming very BAD! I don't know what the deal is there. Jango and Boba are not available in other formats right now (I think) and these are good figures. But I love Mandalore!

Anyway, I hope this stuff doesn't make one big white glut like TPM toys were one big red one. I guess we'll see what the movie and TV 'toon will do for Star Wars starting in another week or two.

plasticfetish
08-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Anyway, I hope this stuff doesn't make one big white glut like TPM toys were one big red one. I guess we'll see what the movie and TV 'toon will do for Star Wars starting in another week or two.As critical as I've been (or could be) about the wisdom of putting out $250 vehicles at this point and time, I do really think that the figures and smaller ships will move very well once the cartoon drops.

I wandered through a Target and one of the TRUs in my area today, and things seemed to be pretty thin on the pegs and shelves. Target only sets out one of those Falcons in the toy section at a time, so it's impossible to tell if they're selling. (I'm still looking forward to some very nice markdowns after Xmas. ;))

Banthaholic
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling when the movie hits the weeks afterwards the shelfs will clear. I'm hoping for a few sales myself to buy more goods.