PDA

View Full Version : Collection pics for Darth Enigma

Darth Duranium
07-27-2008, 02:21 AM
By special Sith request, I uploaded some pics of my l'il starship collection, taken a while back for the freakin' insurance.

They're at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28961337@N02/sets/72157606379500571/detail/

Anyhoo, tell me what y'all think! Feedback is kewl.

Preview pics below:

Darth Enigma
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Mr Darth Titanium, Holy crap!What an AMAZING COLLECTION!Thank you, thank you for posting these pics.I figured you had a great collection,but I didn`t realized how overwhelming they were.Damn, this is what you call a "KICK *** COLLECTION!"My son and I,spent quite a bit of time going thru all your pics.His jaw literelly dropped, and mine was drooling with envy over your collection!Nice space 1999 transporter.Haven`t seen that scale before.I grew up watching those shows every evening.Love the display shelf.It`s made perfectly for displaying the titaniums.Is that a custom made display shelf?Wow, I`ve got lots of catching up to do.I didn`t realized how many variants I was missing.Where in Toronto are you getting your stuff?I live in the Mississauga area,and all the WM,TRS,ZELLERS are still carrying sandcrawlers,b-wings etc...You know, the rare stuff.Makes me laugh, everytime I see a sellers add on Ebay describing Sandcrawlers as "hard to find and RARE!)What the hell!Come live in Canada.We have a ton of that crap sitting on the shelf!lol Anyways,thank you so much for sharing your collection pics.I`ll be going back to viewing them as soon as I`m done with this note.Take care and God bless!:thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
07-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey Darth Enigma and Darth Enigma's Sith Youngling,

Glad that youzes liked the pics... thanks for the kind words! KICK-ARSE? I like it!!!! Please ask if you're wondering about anything...

I ended up putting all of the Action Fleet into another showcase (all looks a bit cluttered in these shots) but that's most of the collection that I threw in there when we first built the big unit.

The big Titanium unit is about 6' tall and 5' wide... yeah we built it cuz we couldn't find anything else with enough shelves for the collection.

It's just blue-stained pine but it looks pretty groovy, eh? Bought the wood and parts at the Home Depot in Mississauga... about $150 for everything (except labour!). One day I'll get around to putting some cool blue LEDs into it...

The Eagle Transporters (regular and rescue) and Hawk Attack Ship are from Konami in Japan and are, IMHO, the best Space 1999 ships out there in this scale. Great detail and paintjobs. The pods even separate from the Eagles! I loved the show as a kid... it was hugely popular in Canada and we'd run around and lose parts of our Lego Eagles and stunguns in the snow. The episodes are available for free from the piratebay and mininova, if you're interested (and corrupt). Some are pretty good still, and some are laughably silly (season 2 especially). The soap foam attack on Moonbase Alpha is an Ed Wood-style classic of fromage.

Konami did an awesome job on small ships from the Alien movies,too (Nostromo, Sulaco, Narcissus, Dropship) and they're presently doing 6 Star Trek ships (so-so). My Konamis are all mixed in with the Titaniums, roughly by scale... I'm no purist, obviously.

If you're looking for Titaniums, then you guys must go to the Silver Snail (just east on Queen St from Spadina Ave downtown) which has the best collection of new ones in the City. Same price as TRU, but vastly better selection. Bring large dollar amounts (or a working lightsabre), my Sithlord friends.

The other option is to go to Planet X in Scarborough (on St.Clair just east of Victoria Park Ave) which has a few new ones... I only go there when the Snail has sold out of something. They're pricier so they're always last resort.

ascmclarencoupe
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Very nice collection you have there Darth Titanium.
Any chance of getting some high resolution versions of those pictures?

Can you tell me more about getting insurance for your collection?
Was it difficult to get them insured and did you just add a rider on your regular homeowners policy or was it through a seperate firm?
Did they do an agreed value or did you have to supply some sort of proof of their value somehow?

Sorry for mass amount of questions.

Brent

TooWanBee
07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Blown away by this.

Darth Duranium
07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, thanks much for the kudos... most appreciated. Not everyone appreciates the collection like you guys do!

Sadly, my entire collection is in boxes right now (just moved!) so I can't help with new photos right now. I do have some more photos from this set that I can post though... if there's anything in particular you'd like to see, I'll see what I've got. Lemme know.

I'll add in a few more pics later today... hope it helps. You can zoom into the shots to some degree but I think they were only 1MB shots when I took 'em. Like I said, they were for the insurance nazis.

There are a few higher rez pics (comparison shots) that I've uploaded to Warstar's BSG and SW List threads here on SSG... I'll add them to the flickr photo album, too.

As for insurance, Brent, I calculated the approx value in a spreadsheet and added a special rider... the dollar amount is a fixed number that I set. If I lose them (Gods Forbid!), the Insurer will pay out the fixed amount with no depreciation (or appreciation). I sent them the photos and list as they requested, but it wasn't imperative that I did so.

If you don't set a fixed value, most homeowner policies will pay their replacement value at "Actual Cash Value" which will depreciate 40-60% of their cost in the end. You will get hosed.

If you have a "Replacement Cost" policy for your home contents, you're golden but you need to make sure that you keep photos and a list in a safe place away from your home.

One caveat: Some policies set limits for collections (like stamps, coins, collectibles etc) at a maximum claimable value (like $1000) so you'd best check your policy's "Special Limits" section on the Declaration page first.

Whew! Hope this helps, bro. Isn't insurance fascinating?

ascmclarencoupe
07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow thanks for the info, it was very helpful. My various collections (I have way too many according to my wife) are all packed up at the moment while I am finishing our basement but I was wondering what steps I should take when the time comes.
I'm not sure that the answers my insurance agent would have given me wouldn't have been those that weren't in their best interests and not mine.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Brent

Darth Duranium
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey fellers,

I've updated the photo page... see below. Mostly stuff I've posted before but now it's all together in one spot. Shame the collection is in about 100 boxed spots!

Any questions, please ask.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28961337@N02/sets/72157606379500571/

Quick question for everyone: Is the "new" Wave 4 Cylon Raider got a clean or dirty finish? I think I've got the "dirty/battle-damaged" version but I'm not 100% sure. Pic below (on left) :

And good luck with your insurance broker, Brent... such fun! There's a new TV commercial up here that shows unsuspecting insurance agents being fed to sharks ("They're just dolphins! Just splash around- they like that!" while they dump bloodied chum into the water.

Yeah, wives just don't seem to appreciate our collections... we're soooooo misunderstood and mal-treated. Feel free to add your own whip-cracking sound here.

sergiurusu
07-29-2008, 03:30 AM
That is a GREAT collection!:thumbsup:

kirby3531
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Quick question for everyone: Is the "new" Wave 4 Cylon Raider got a clean or dirty finish? I think I've got the "dirty/battle-damaged" version but I'm not 100% sure. Pic below (on left) :

DT,
Looking at your pics, it's definitely the the same as yours. On Saturday, I went to Target, WM, and TRU. Found 2 at each store and they were all the same (battle-damaged?). Even though I have several, I bought 1 just for the halibut (and to let the stores know someone's still buying 'em).

I hope you're wrong about the basestar being the last. I'd love to see Hasbro renew the license; a 1 year extension would let them squeeze out at least a couple more models (plus some repaints).

BTW, LOVE the collection!! I am sooo jealous. Thanks also for putting together the spaceport. It's great to see some close ups of the comparisons.