PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Figures One-Eighty

TheRealDubya
07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Way back when I first saw these figures as they were being shown at Toy Fair 2008, I wrote them off as cartoony and not my style. I held that opinion until about noon on Saturday when, after getting my Legacy fill (most of Wave 2 and the BMF) I went back to a TRU to look for a Mon Cal Warrior. Needless to say, they were all gone. Having some extra cash, I looked at the Legacy Wave 1, was left uninspired, then picked up an Obi-Wan Clone Wars figure. I thought why not. Got home, opened it, and was back in the car 2 hours later on my way to Target, where I picked up two clones, Commander Fox, R2-D2 and Greivous. Was officially hooked. Will be off to get an Anakin and Battle Droid tonight.

Can't wait for the next few waves now -- especially C-3PO, Ahsoka, Dooku and Oddball, then the Padme and Clone Space Trooper. Call me a flip-flopper, but I just love the look of these little dudes.

Anyone else change their tune?

JetsAndHeels
07-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I knew there would be a couple out of the CW line I would want, but when Saturday came along I ended up purchasing some extras that I had not intended to.

I originally only wanted Grievous, Obi-Wan, and R2. Well I ended up getting those plus all the other ones.....once I had them in my hands and could decide for myself, I caved.

Ji'dai
07-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I haven't jumped on the clone wagon just yet. I did buy animated R2 during MM with the intention of getting 3PO later, and then call it quits.

However, I am interested in getting Ahsoka since I think she comes with the Huttlet. And I usually buy Padme figures, so I'll get her too.

I bought all the previous animated CW figures but generally passed on the realistic versions Hasbro made. I only bought Snowbunny Padme from the second wave of Legacy. It was tough to pass on the SCUBA trooper, since a naval/marine trooper is kinda unique in the SW universe. I did have the SCUBA, Quarren, and Calamari figs in my basket but put them back.

Neuroleptic
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I am only going to get R2-D2 and C-3PO for the animated style, then I'm calling it quits on those. I don't think they look as bad as people thought they would (especialy in person) but I still feel they don't match the rest of my collection. It also just makes it a little easyer to pass on a few more figures a year since I will have to do this due to the higher price point per figure as well as inflation on other necessary purchases.

I will say that I do like them more now that I'v seen them in person. I originaly absolutly hated them, but now I think they are a cool but not for me type of thing.

Darth Jax
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
i flipped on my opinion of them too. i don't pay any attention to any of the photo threads, so i didn't know what they'd look like. i was just gonna write them off as being animated figs, but they look realistic enough that i've purchased all but yoda (something bout his eyes just creeps me out).

Blue2th
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I might change my tune on a couple, but for now I just bought the Legacy figures minus Han Chewy and Luke.

Since I was unable to do Midnight Madness, and finally did my shopping today, I did notice an over-abundance of animated figures, and at least two Walmarts and three Targets were out of every Legacy figure give or take a Han, Luke or Chewy, and of course many Legends. I finally found everything I wanted when I drove a few miles out of town.

I never saw an animated Grievous anywhere though.

Things might pick up for the animated style once the movie hits, but I think it's the collectors who are cleaning out the new Legacy figures.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm the opposite of you guys. Originally I thought I'd be a completist for this line but I didn't really like Grievous (head too small) when I saw him so I passed. For the next wave, I'll pass on Dooku as I like the previous CW animated version better

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Having seen them in person, I'm not feeling any better about them. Except for C-3PO and R2-D2, who look quite good. Luckily, those are two one can have without getting any other figures in the line.

sebillba
07-29-2008, 04:17 AM
I really like the style of these figures, but I'm trying to cut back. If they were going to run for just one or two waves, I might've been tempted to get them, but as they'll be ongoing for a while, it's better I just pass on them from the start. I did buy Yoda though, and he turned out to be one of my favourite figures I bought on Saturday.:love:

Kidhuman
07-29-2008, 01:52 PM
The Obi-Wan in Clone armor is really nice and I think it beats the crap out of the Legacy verison. I will get R2. I almost bought Rex today

Blue2th
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm the opposite of you guys. Originally I thought I'd be a completist for this line but I didn't really like Grievous (head too small) when I saw him so I passed. For the next wave, I'll pass on Dooku as I like the previous CW animated version better

I finally got a glimps of Grievous, and I agree his head is way too small. I don't feel bad about missing even the holo one at TRU.

I'm still sticking to my original decision not to buy any of them so far. I've even seen the Commander Fox at Target. He's an easy pass for me.

The only one I'm remotely interested in is the Obi-Wan. I do like that style of armor, and it is more appealing than the Legacy one which I'm still very happy to get finally.
I wonder if a Legacy head might fit on that body?
Already have plans to put an Order 66 Obi head on the Legacy Obi which would be perfect if it will fit. I'm not liking the grimacing face as much.

ncbarrett
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally I like the CW figures quite a bit. I picked up Yoda, I like his eyes. He is the only one I picked up at the Midnight thing at TRU. I am getting Anakin and obi-wan for sure. Ahsoka is a definite buy for me.

TheRealDubya
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Having seen them in person, I'm not feeling any better about them. Except for C-3PO and R2-D2, who look quite good. Luckily, those are two one can have without getting any other figures in the line.

That was kind of my original thought -- just get the "Droids" figures. But I've been officially broken.

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
I really want to get the "plain-vanilla" Clonetrooper. In this animated style, I think the Ep2 armor actually looks better than it did in the movie. However, I know that one Clonetrooper will turn into two Clonetroopers, then six Clonetroopers and a Clone Commander, then that will spiral into me buying Jedi, Homing Spider Droids, AT-APs, the AT-TE and on and on.

I'm trying to stop the madness before it starts.

TheRealDubya
07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I really want to get the "plain-vanilla" Clonetrooper. In this animated style, I think the Ep2 armor actually looks better than it did in the movie. However, I know that one Clonetrooper will turn into two Clonetroopers, then six Clonetroopers and a Clone Commander, then that will spiral into me buying Jedi, Homing Spider Droids, AT-APs, the AT-TE and on and on.

I'm trying to stop the madness before it starts.

I'm convinced we need a support group. Collector's Anonymous. Hasbro is my enabler.

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm convinced we need a support group. Collector's Anonymous. Hasbro is my enabler.

Definitely because I got sucked in this evening. After driving through three towns looking in vain for the GI Joe DVD packs all evening, I caved in and picked up the Homing Spider Droid and three Clonetroopers.

No buyers remorse at all, though. I was excited to get home to open them all up and check them out. I had also gotten the old Clone Wars Hailfire Droid from 2003 off of Ebay a few months back and was going to wait to open it when I got the AT-TE. But I decided to just go ahead and open that this evening too.

So, I'm officially psyched for the Clone Wars.:)

figrin bran
08-01-2008, 01:01 AM
The Obi-Wan in Clone armor is really nice and I think it beats the crap out of the Legacy verison. I will get R2. I almost bought Rex today

Legacy Obi-Wan in clone armor...sucked as much as the Jedi vs. Sith battlepack version.

bigbarada
08-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm really liking the Clonetrooper figures from this line. They actually look better than the "realistic" version. The sculpting is crisper and the subtle paint wash really brings out the details. My only complaint is that I wish these had the new hip joints that we saw on the Commander Gree figure. They do have his ball-joint wrists though!:thumbsup:

figrin bran
08-03-2008, 01:47 AM
The leg articulation is actually better on the animated clones as they lack the plates on the rear that restrict you from bending the legs backwards.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Seeing animated wave 3 in the Hasbro booth converted me from "meh" to "buy". Wave 2 looks really uninteresting to me, I plan on passing entirely (the steroid-abusing Super Battle Droid doesn't do it for me).

From wave 1, I have Obi-Wan (needs ankle and knee articulation, and fig is too short) and R2, plus sneak preview Rex who isn't half as good as the regular one because the "clean" armor looks pretty bad. I'm thinking I'll buy 1 or 2 animated Clones, but I don't want a ton of 'em, I'd hate myself if I did that.

As for Legacy Clone Wars realistics, I've seen 'em all today and passed on everything but the Scuba trooper and the IG Lancer droid.

jedibear
08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
So far, they're hit-n-miss for me...

I opened the Obi-Wan I picked up...only to find his legs have no articulation and are made of a softer material, so it'll only be a matter of time before he's unable to stand on his own :(....it's the same with Rex. The knees bend, but he's made of a softer material than we usually get.

I understand the softer material...this line is obviously geared more towards kids.

It's funny that the ones that are getting dissed a bit in here are the ones I like and/or am looking forward to... :)

I like the Grievous...yeah the head's small, but we're talking about a stylized look to the character here and it works for me..

Some of this over-stylized look works for me and some doesn't...I'm looking forward to the Dooku figure and the "steriod abuse" (funny line, JT) SBD, and Plo Koon looks really cool (in fact I'd like to see Sideshow put out a 1:6 scale variant of him with this look) and I'm hoping to see the Magna Guards done in this unique style.

The ones that don't work for me are Yoda (sorry, those bug-eyes are just too much) R2 (he just looks too "off")...

It'll be fun to see where this line goes and if they are going to produce everything we'll see on the show...

bigbarada
08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Most of these animated figures are an easy pass for me as well. I'll probably never get Anakin, Yoda, or Obi-Wan. I picked up Artoo, but am a little disappointed with him, since he looks weird when he's all closed up (and his doors keep popping open on their own).

The Battle Droids are nice, my only complaint is they can't hold their blasters with both hands. But it's good to have a Battle Droid who can stand unassisted for once. This is the only figure that I might buy several of.

I love the Clonetrooper and that's the figure that pulled me in. However, I don't think I'll be buying more than 5 or 6 of them at the most, since I don't want to burn out on them and they lose their personality. I'm still debating on getting Rex, I need to see some photos of him with his helmet on.

After seeing the Super Battle Droid designs for the cartoon, I resolved to buy a couple of them in that style long before I decided to get anything from the animated line. So I'm a big fan of the stylized Super Battle Droids and looking forward to getting at least 3 of them, as well as 3 of the Animated Destroyer Droids.