PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I didn't see a thread for this one yet (if there is one, link me up and i'll merge), but the trailer hits tonight @9 pm on AOL and whatnot.

Also, USA TODAY has some pics up from the film, including a young Tom Riddle, played by Ralph Fiennes' nephew, which was a perfect choice. Head here for a pic of Tom Riddle and Dumbledore fending off the Inferi. http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-07-28-potter-trailer_N.htm

I'll post trailer links later tonight. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
MSN got the trailer first.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/movies/

I have to say I'm diggin' young Voldemort.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll see the film sans trailers, unless I see 'em in the theaters before other films. Since I know the storyline, spoilers aren't an issue, but I prefer being blown away with the visuals as totally new (see Yoda's lightsaber battle with Dooku in E2).

El Chuxter
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Pretty cool. Not the route I'd have gone, but still quite cool.

I think I'd have had to end with Snape killing someone with the death curse. :)

General_Grievous
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I prefer being blown away with the visuals as totally new (see Yoda's lightsaber battle with Dooku in E2).
It's funny you should mention that. When I read "Order of the Phoenix", I imagined the Dumbledore vs. Voldemort battle at the end would have been just as spectacular on screen as the Yoda/Dooku fight in AOTC. I got my hopes up a bit too high for that one when I saw "Order of the Phoenix" last year. Not that the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort wasn't good, I was just expecting better. When I saw AOTC, the whole theater stood up and cheered when Yoda ignited his lightsaber. I was hoping for a similar reaction when Dumbledore showed up for the showdown with Voldemort, but it never quite reached that level of amazement.

CaptainSolo1138
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I think I'd have had to end with Snape killing someone with the death curse. :)Good idea! To make it even more suspenseful, Harry should have to view the events and not be able to act on them!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Or what about reading through the journal, seeing the words on screen, but showing events occurring in sketched-out form?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Hopefully it'll be good, as it's from the same director of OOTP, which was awesome. HBP was a pretty boring book; aside from Voldemort's backstory and the end battle, not much happens (that I remember).

El Chuxter
08-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I meant at the end of the preview, you see him saying "Aveda Kadaver" but not see Albus. So the five or six people who don't know would say, "Woo! Who's Snape killing?"

DarthQuack
08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I can't wait until Ron's little sister is legal.

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I can't wait until Ron's little sister is legal.

Do you have weaselly intentions, DQ? :lipsrsealed:

;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I meant at the end of the preview, you see him saying "Aveda Kadaver" but not see Albus. So the five or six people who don't know would say, "Woo! Who's Snape killing?"
Because anyone who knows that "Avada Kedavra" is the killing curse would certainly have no idea what happens to Dumbledore . . . ;)

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Not entirely true. I know several people who (for whatever reason) have followed the movies religiously but never read any of the books and want to avoid spoilers.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. They made the movies into books?!? :eek:

Yeah, 'cause movies are ALWAYS better than book versions...

Jargo
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't really like the movies and I've not read the books. my only interest lies in little Dan Radcliffe. Now that he's legal.

btw, the lad playing young Lucius Malfoy - Tony Coburn - can't stand Dan Radcliffe.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
The film has been pushed back to next summer. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48001

This makes the teaser trailer a bit, well, in effin' accurate?!!?!

Good thinkin', WB, goooooood thinkin'..... :upset:

edit: WB responds to the move here: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-potter15-2008aug15,0,7258306.story

Looks like they want to try to captialize on the mid July success ala TDK.

Jargo
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
well, it means deathly hallows and um, deathly hallows 2 will come out closer to half blood prince. provided no more older cast members die before it's finished. and rupert grint stops growing.

El Chuxter
08-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I heard Rupert Grint had converted to a very conservative denomination, now thought the very mention or discussion of magic was evil, and is trying to get out of his contract.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I heard Rupert Grint had converted to a very conservative denomination, now thought the very mention or discussion of magic was evil, and is trying to get out of his contract.
He also speaks with a very thick Cockney accent and frequently gets his internet passwords stolen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Grimlock! Eat me!

Here (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/harry-potter-and-half-blood-prince/feature-trailer) is the international teaser. It looks pretty sweet. It seems like they are featuring the Burrow fight/invasion quite heavily . . . I suppose they had to add SOME excitement other than what's in the last five minutes of the movie. And the Chosen One business has always (obviously) reminded me of Anakin. But I can't wait!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2008, 12:04 AM
New kick arse trailer!!! http://wbads-47.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbmovies/halfbloodprince/trailer/Champion_D_480.mov

:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Dear sweet Jesus does that look killer! :eek:

And to think, we COULD have been seeing it a week from now . . . :mad:

El Chuxter
11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Looks nice. Nice to see Rupert honored his contract and returned.

CaptainSolo1138
11-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks nice. Nice to see Rupert honored his contract and returned.
Weasley is our king, yo.

Jargo
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
is it me, or does Rupert look like he's beefed up?

Rocketboy
11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
is it me, or does Rupert look like he's beefed up?Yeah, he probably has.

Jargo
11-18-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm not looking! lalalala oh wait, that's spoken word ignoring.

i was just getting over my aversion to gingers too......

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow. No talk about this film for 8 months? I expect there might be one or two replies in the next couple of days. I'm going tomorrow morning.

DarthQuack
07-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Going probably on Monday my lone day off...avoid the crowds, check out a matinee....plus I have all the other movies DVRed in HD to check out this week.

pbarnard
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
This is the only movie I really want to see in the theater this year.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll be seeing it later tonight. After re-watching OOTP and then seeing bits of COS on TV, it's interesting to see how far the series has come - in tone, style, look, and everything.

TeeEye7
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
My son went to a midnight showing last night with half of the city (the local news media had live broadcasts from one of the theaters).

He said the movie was good; on par with the rest. He gave it :thumbsup:, but said it wasn't any better or worse than any of the other movies in the series. He said it was more of a springboard for the last installment. He had hoped for more action a la HP and the Order of the Phoenix, however, was not disappointed in the movie. He still says go see it! Tickets are sold out for the next two weeks so I may have quite a wait until I have the chance to go.

Also: In his opinion, the movie turns very dark and parents should consider whether it is appropriate for the little ones.

pbarnard
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I just saw the midnight screenings did $22 Million already.

One would think in a college town that there would be online ticket sales and pay by credit card, but there isn't here yet. But I can always knock off work early, say it was mechanical problem that I can fix and calibrate tomorrow and go see a matinee during the week...hmmm, monday afternoon perhaps?

sebillba
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm going to see it tomorrow morning, really looking forward to it. I would've gone today, but we've been re-watching all the others over the last couple of weeks, and still had Order of the Phoenix to watch today. Not that I really needed reminding of the story or anything, just wanted to see the whole series in sequence.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
After just seeing it, I thought it was pretty great. Technically, it's damn near perfect; the cinematography and special effects were probably the best of the series. It's much more character driven than the last two films, I think, which is a nice change of pace. They handled a lot of things interestingly (the mention of Regulus, and the Burrow attack for instance) and differently from the book. I loved seeing more of the Burrow, like Ron's room and Arthur's shack of Muggle junk. :D

I definitely need to see this again soon . . . I keep thinking of great stuff in it, like Luna (and that hat . . . lol).

Darth Jax
07-17-2009, 12:42 AM
much funnier than expected. and they didn't go for the big tears at the end.

jonthejedi
07-17-2009, 05:18 AM
It's definitely the big set-up for 7, parts 1 & 2. I have no problem with Yates as director. As the series gets more intense & dark, the need to replace Chris Columbus was obvious, since he's more atuned to family fare. But, my God, do they need to get John Williams back into this franchise. I wasn't crazy about Nick Hoopers score for the last one(except for Umbridge's theme), but then he actually repeated music cues this time around rather than new scoring. Never read any of the books, but Snape remains an enigma to me...where his allegiances REALLY lie. Def. Ron's film, Rupert Grint stole the show. It was also nice to see Draco back in a larger part; ditto for Prof. Lupin. I miss Mad-Eye Moody, and I hope Wormtail has a larger part next film. The cinematography was 1st rate.

sebillba
07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
After just seeing it, I thought it was pretty great. Technically, it's damn near perfect; the cinematography and special effects were probably the best of the series. It's much more character driven than the last two films, I think, which is a nice change of pace. They handled a lot of things interestingly (the mention of Regulus, and the Burrow attack for instance) and differently from the book. I loved seeing more of the Burrow, like Ron's room and Arthur's shack of Muggle junk. :D

I definitely need to see this again soon . . . I keep thinking of great stuff in it, like Luna (and that hat . . . lol).

I totally agree with this assessment, it really does look spectacular - I think David Yates is a superb director, I'm so glad he's staying on for the final two films. Your comment about it being more character driven than the others made me think this might be the ESB of the series, and the final scene was indeed very reminscent of the end scene from Empire.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I would seem to parrot most of the comments so far.

- Loved the camera usage and scene set-ups (a.k.a. cinematography), especially the number of scenes with periods of no dialogue, just letting the acting and setting tell the tale. Also liked the dicotomy of the swirling smoke whenever the Death Eaters flew with the dark ink of the memories in the Sieve.

- I really wanted to see #7 and #8 after this. It was just like reading the novel again.

- Thought it was odd that they barely mentioned the mystery of who was the HBP only in passing, then Snape's comment at the end was almost a throw-away line by that point. But you know, that actually worked for the film.

JEDIpartner
07-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Went to see this yesterday morning with a friend and really enjoyed it. I thought the edits they made to the text made sense and didn't take anything away from the film. The tome they set was perfect. This might be my favourite one so far!!!

LTBasker
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
After finding the last one to be abysmal I wasn't looking forward to this one much, but my family was going to see it anyways. This time, though, the director didn't disappoint as I really enjoyed this one and felt it recaptured the mystique from the first movies that seemed absent in Order of the Phoenix. I have some disappointments, but the enjoyment of the rest of the movie far outweighs them.

I kept wanting Slughorn to say "the greater good."

Exhaust Port
07-19-2009, 07:17 PM
The wife and I saw this yesterday and both enjoyed it. The overall story didn't feel complete, more of a segue to set up the final movie(s). The subplots were all enjoyable but the major plot events seemed out of place or didn't seem to flow together. The visuals were perhaps the best of any of the HP films but I'll be interested to see if this movie grows on me as a repeat watch. (disclaimer: I haven't read the books)

2-1B
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I saw this last night and thought it was alright, but other than this one I have only seen part 1.

Maybe I'll watch 2 through 5 some day but I'm not in a hurry.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I saw this last night and thought it was alright, but other than this one I have only seen part 1.

Maybe I'll watch 2 through 5 some day but I'm not in a hurry.That's quite a jump! Harry's a cute little kid, just finding out about his powers and the world of wizardry. BAM! Now Harry's trying to kill people and smooch with the ladies, while his school's being invaded. :pleased:

2-1B
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
yeah, I'm gonna pepper in the old ones "prequel style" over the years to fill in the backstory. ;)

DarthQuack
07-21-2009, 05:25 AM
If case anyone who still hasn't seen it.

I liked it a lot overall. Just a few things though...I didn't like how they cut out the whole Charlie and Fleur storyline, as well as leaving out Dumbledore's funeral, how Ginny and Harry really were supposed to smooch :love:. And the whole scene with the cornfield and having the burrow burn down....not too big a fan.

The music was pretty sweet though!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I rewatched Goblet of Fire on Sunday, and Order of the Phoenix on Monday since I had only seen them once before. I'm on vacation so I went and saw the new movie on yesterday. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've only read the last three books once, so I can't recall how much the movie differs.

It was interesting rewatching Goblet of Fire and seeing David Tennant in it. I didn't know who he was when I saw it before. Also, while I haven't seen Twilight, I recognized Robert Pattinson's name in the credits as well.

As for the new movie, I enjoyed seeing more of Luna. I like her character.

DarkArtist
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I have to say out of all the Potter movies this one left a bad taste in my mouth. the acting was horrible and really the ending was lame. was hoping for a great death scene and fight between Snape and Potter but a major letdown. I mean Rickman's acting just seemed off in the film it was like he didn't care anymore. i have expected him to say "tay" after he performed the killing curse and revealed he was the half blood prince.

i really think the WB is shooting itself with the last flick being broken into 2 movies almost a year apart from each other. what they should do is have a double ticket with both and have perhaps a 45 minute intermission so theater goers can use the restrooms, freshen up and grab a drink and popcorn and then enjoy the second half.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
i really think the WB is shooting itself with the last flick being broken into 2 movies almost a year apart from each other. what they should do is have a double ticket with both and have perhaps a 45 minute intermission so theater goers can use the restrooms, freshen up and grab a drink and popcorn and then enjoy the second half.I'd go Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions and release them maybe a month or so apart, in the same calendar year.

El Chuxter
08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I thought this was a good film, but the weakest of the six. Too much of the Voldemort backstory was axed, which was a mistake since that was sort of the major point of the book (aside from Dumbledore's death). The omission of Petunia's "last promise" and Harry's breakup with Ginny to keep her safe were bad choices, too.

I loved the changes made to the final battle. They wouldn't have worked on the page, but it added a little gravitas that was otherwise missing when it made clear that Snape knew Harry was present, and made Harry aware of it.

The score sort of stunk. It really bothered me that Slughorn's theme was the "whistling" intro to Billy Joel's "The Stranger." I half expected Ron to suddenly start singing, "Don't be afraid to try again! Everyone goes south, every now and then, oooh oooh ooh!"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought this was a good film, but the weakest of the six. Too much of the Voldemort backstory was axed, which was a mistake since that was sort of the major point of the book (aside from Dumbledore's death). The omission of Petunia's "last promise" and Harry's breakup with Ginny to keep her safe were bad choices, too.
I thought the "remember my last" thing was a red herring in the book, since it didn't really amount to a whole lot. It was the same thing with Neville possibly being the Chosen One (when we all know it was Anakin :p ), which was also cut from the films. You simply have to get rid of some of the stuff to fit in what needs to be there. I still am not sure why they never revealed the identities of the makers of the Marauders Map; they've called Sirius "Padfoot" and Pettigrew "Wormtail" but they should have gotten it out of the way in POA, since then Harry's Patronus being a pronghorn makes sense. I thought it was fine to cut the other memories, since while giving interesting backstory, they didn't really move the story along a whole lot (at least, as far as I can remember, since it's been a long time since I've read any of them, and details are foggy on HBP and DH).

I saw the 3D "IMAX" version a few days ago - apart from the IMAX screen being the same damn size as a normal screen, and the 3D only being until Harry gets to the Burrow, it was nice. It looked fantastic with the digital projection. The 3D was pretty good, but nonessential. This movie is really damn great, though; I haven't seen 1-4 in a while but this might be my favorite of the series.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I caught this today and while I do know that stuff was axed, I thought the film did a good job giving us the essentials. The film definitely isn't action packed though, so I can see why some didn't like it, but I did like how character driven it was.

I still think #5 is my favorite, purely for the character interaction and that kick arse scene at the Ministry! :thumbsup:

on a side note, my dad just finished reading books 1-7 and it was adorable to hear him talking about the last book and sounding excited and giddy, like a little kid. It really got me wanting to reread the whole series.

jonthejedi
09-26-2009, 05:13 AM
DVD/Blue Ray release is set for 12/8...along with extended cuts of the 1st 2.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
DVD/Blue Ray release is set for 12/8...along with extended cuts of the 1st 2.
The first two films? They're probably just the TV versions, which just re-cut the deleted scenes into the movies. Good if you want to have even longer, overly faithful "adaptations" of the books, but I'll pass.