PDA

View Full Version : What features should a big AT-AT have?

Tycho
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
For those of you clamoring for an in-scale, full-size AT-AT, what features should it have?

I believe they might be able to make 2 decks on the interior, holding 12 snowtroopers per deck, or 24 or so total, not counting officers.

2 speederbikes might be able to be loaded onto the back. What about clear plastic "Hot Wheels style" race tracks that you could attach or pull out back there, and hidden wheels on the bottom of the speederbikes, so you can launch them out of the AT-AT?

What about a working (recoiling) grapple cable for Luke to ascend on?

How about rappeling lines for snowtroopers to disembark from? Remote control them?

The electronics should pretty much match the previous one: all of General Veers' dialogue and the AT-AT Driver's were included previously and should be again. The walking sound and the noise from the laser guns should stay the same, and pretty much be activated the same way.

If the tunnel in the neck worked to accomodate figures, you'd lose the "puppet head" feature the old AT-AT had, where you could control the head from the troop carrier compartment. I actually always loved that feature originating with the vintage walker.

Could this thing actually be made to walk on its own? Well that would up the cost for sure.

A larger cockpit would accomodate 2 pilots and Veers, and a Snowtrooper commander. Maybe a light-up panel for the holographic Vader would work. That all wouldn't be too hard.

Am I missing anything else?

To me, I'm not sure the AT-AT needs to be redone. I love the one I've got and have since the vintage days (of that mold). It was one of my favorite toys. The larger scale would make Battle of Hoth dioramas more accurate I'm sure (in comparison to snowspeeder size) but that's about it.

I don't think I'd be in the market for a re-do of the AT-AT myself. You?

Kidhuman
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
It should have room for 2 in the cockpit. Room enough for troops, a dozen at least. A pop open hatch at the bottom so Luke can toss his bomb into.

SplFrcsCWO
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
My TRU pulled their AT-ATs before I could buy one. So I'd be happy for a re-release and/or update.

El Chuxter
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
It needs a rapelling line for Luke to climb up, and a bomb for him to throw. And a toilet to sit the AT-AT Drivers on, which would be right behind the hole where Luke throws his bomb (Robot Chicken style).

jedi master sal
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
For those of you clamoring for an in-scale, full-size AT-AT, what features should it have?

Okay, I'll go off of Tycho's list and say yes or no.

I believe they might be able to make 2 decks on the interior, holding 12 snowtroopers per deck, or 24 or so total, not counting officers.
--Well, let's count it out. 2 drivers, Veers and a snow commander in the head. 12 on the lower level, fine. since the upper level is a little smaller, I'd say room for 8 on that level. Now this doesn't have to be all troops. It's up to YOU to decide how you'd fill it or not. So including the head and body, room for 24 figs.

2 speederbikes might be able to be loaded onto the back. What about clear plastic "Hot Wheels style" race tracks that you could attach or pull out back there, and hidden wheels on the bottom of the speederbikes, so you can launch them out of the AT-AT?
--Speederbikes? Ok, I don't mind the idea, but that would change the number of figures on the first level in the body down from 12 to at least 8 if not 6. Speederbikes are LONG and you need some kind of space for them. No to the hot wheels tracks and no to the wheels. Though THIS would be a great time to redesign the speederbikes to something more screen accurate. at the least, give us back the corrected handle bars that only saw a limited release.

What about a working (recoiling) grapple cable for Luke to ascend on?
--YES!

How about rappeling lines for snowtroopers to disembark from? Remote control them?
--Yes to repel lines, NO to remote control. FOr one, added costs for that feature that really aren't neccessary.

The electronics should pretty much match the previous one: all of General Veers' dialogue and the AT-AT Driver's were included previously and should be again. The walking sound and the noise from the laser guns should stay the same, and pretty much be activated the same way.
--Agreed about the electronics, but the buttons shouldn't be all in one place. Much like the Falcon has unobtrusive buttons for different sounds, so should the AT-AT.

If the tunnel in the neck worked to accomodate figures, you'd lose the "puppet head" feature the old AT-AT had, where you could control the head from the troop carrier compartment. I actually always loved that feature originating with the vintage walker.
--While I'd like the neck to be hollow for figures to "walk" back and forth between, I'll admit I DO like the handle feature to move the head around, so KEEP that. It has more playability than a hollow neck.

Could this thing actually be made to walk on its own? Well that would up the cost for sure.
--again with the remote control...Cost alone to do this to something that would ultimately be a bit heavy would preclude it from being able to walk by remote control. I think it would be awesome, but given the added cost, I'd say no.

A larger cockpit would accomodate 2 pilots and Veers, and a Snowtrooper commander. Maybe a light-up panel for the holographic Vader would work. That all wouldn't be too hard.
--absoultely add a holo table. Include a REMOVABLE mini holo Vader and it's all good.

Am I missing anything else?
--yes...chin guns should move back and forth when the button is activated. I can't believe you forgot that....shame shame. I'm sure there's even more that I could think of, but I'm at work and can't take much more time on the subject here.

To me, I'm not sure the AT-AT needs to be redone. I love the one I've got and have since the vintage days (of that mold). It was one of my favorite toys. The larger scale would make Battle of Hoth dioramas more accurate I'm sure (in comparison to snowspeeder size) but that's about it.
--Size is only the real issue I have with the current one. Especially now that we have a fairly accurate Falcon and AT-TE.

I don't think I'd be in the market for a re-do of the AT-AT myself. You?
--yes, I would. Though an accurate AT-AT would be massive. I'd take one at the 3ft tall size. That would be sufficient.

Slicker
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
It needs 4 legs. :yes:

mtriv73
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Everything mentioned above except the hotwheels ramp and...

A sensor that pops open several hatches on the head and makes a big explosion noise when it tips over.

Absolutely nothing on it that fires a plastic dart of any kind.

As far as pack-ins, it could come with a driver and a snowtrooper. The rest would, I'm sure, be resold in a battlepack or two.

Kidhuman
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
It needs 4 legs. :yes:

OYes it does:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
OYes it does:thumbsup:

what no "fifth" leg... :rolleyes:

Tycho
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM

I love firing missiles on the toys. You don't? Why?

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
The best thing to do would be to create a head large enough to hold two AT-AT Drivers side by side, General Veers sitting behind them and with enough room for a Snowtrooper to stand in. Then scale the body appropriately to that, keeping the proportions true to the film model. So, no freakishly oversized head. 3 feet tall would be perfect. The Falcon is 2.5 feet long, but most of the AT-AT's height comes from it's legs. So it could be 6 inches taller but still less bulky overall.

Electronics would be cool, maybe combine the ESB sound effects and ROTJ sound effects from the separate releases. Electronic features are kind of secondary to me, so someone can come up with some cool ideas for that. I would, however, like to see a return of the motorized chin guns from the vintage release. The POTF2/Saga versions used manually operated chin guns that used a slide lever on the side of the head. I liked how the vintage version just had a button inside that you could push and the guns moved themselves.

I agree with mtriv73 on this point completely. The overly bulky, firing side cannons are what really hurt the current version for me.

Also, NO ELECTRONIC WALKING FEATURE OF ANY KIND! The technology just doesn't exist to do this convincingly in a sub-$300 toy. If Hasbro made this feature, it would likely add $50 to the price tag and end up accomplishing nothing more than having the toy shuffle forward for 2 or 3 inches, then fall over. Just have poseable legs that hold whatever position you put them in.

The 'puppet-head' would have to stay since that was a great feature on the original toy.

I'm not super concerned about what goes inside the body of the AT-AT, but as long as it doesn't interfere with the outer appearance of the toy, then Hasbro can go nuts. If the interior was nothing more than two empty floors with foot pegs, then I would still be happy to pay $150.

Overall, I'm not crazy about a million electronic lights or sound effects. I simply want a new version that is as accurate as possible to the film model and doesn't look like some freakishly malproportioned robot dog.

Darth Jax
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
i'd pretty much second what sal said... although for me the cockpit only needs to hold 2 driver figs in the front row and a jump seat for veers behind.

the holo vader isn't necessary for me. while it's not movie accurate a periscope that raises up from the floor for targeting the power generators would be cool

Tycho
07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Movie accurate would be the periscope coming down from the cockpit ceiling, right? That's still do-able even on a flip-up cockpit top. It just needs to attach with a telescoping tube.

True-enough, you'd have to play with that while holding the cockpit mostly shut, so I guess the floor idea you have works better.

pegger
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
i'd pretty much second what sal said...

That's because Sal rocks. He's like the Chuck Norris of SSG.

jedi master sal
07-31-2008, 09:43 PM
That's because Sal rocks. He's like the Chuck Norris of SSG.

Oh cryst, here we go, L.O.L.

Ando
08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I bought the TRU AT-AT in 2006 and customized the troop area door with a couple of tiny holes and some black string cut from the rappelling cord on one of my gunships and made it so the door doesn't flop down, but instead stops flat like a platform for troops to debark. It's actually pretty stable and I used a really small drill bit to make the holes, so they're barely noticeable.

I think a new AT-AT should have something like that, say similar to the platform on the rear of the AT-TE with foot pegs for troopers to pose on. And if it was spring loaded/geared like the AT-TE, all the better.

My apologies if someone's already covered this.

Bar
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
As said above, it would be better if they could make it with better proportions.
They certainly cannot make it the correct size for the figures, that's for sure.
Bar.

bigduke6
08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Just make it bigger and similar in detail and features to the new falcon. I would pay 150 easy for it !!!!

Bar
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd love to see some properly scaled AT-ATs...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat00.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat01.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat02.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat03.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat04.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat05.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat06.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat08.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat09.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat10.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat11.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat13.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/atat14.jpg

pegger
08-20-2008, 03:34 PM
My wife was p.o.'ed enough with the Falcon - she'd divorce me if I brought that home.

Bar
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
My wife was p.o.'ed enough with the Falcon - she'd divorce me if I brought that home.

Dude! Think of the upside!
If you converted it to be R/C, you could ride it to work!!!
:)

Ando
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Ouch. My wife *BOUGHT* me my Falcon...

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
My wife and I make cracks about the Falcon every time we see three or four on the shelf. My guess is very, very few kids will ever have one, and 99% of collectors who want one have one already.

As for the AT-AT, I know it's not film accurate, but it would be awesome if it brewed coffee, and you could just hold your mug under its "chin" and get a refill.

Bar
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
One of a long list of functions that Hasbro considered and rejected...

The top five were as follows:

5. Real lasers in the chin guns for pinpoint retina-burning accuracy...
4. The never-before-seen hot-tub on level three for when the snowtroopers need to relax after a hard slog on Hoth.
3. The officers mess on level two with twelve types of brandy!
2. A microwave oven in the main body for when you are playing with your figures and get real peckish...
1. A Chocolate dispenser inbetween the rear legs...

:D

Ando
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
How about a toilet for the AT-AT driver to use while looking at a copy of "Naboobies" ala Robot Chicken Star Wars Special I?

But in all seriousness, a speeder bike rack would be pretty cool. Even if there's only room for one like on the Republic Gunships.

CaptainSolo1138
08-20-2008, 07:32 PM
As for the AT-AT, I know it's not film accurate, but it would be awesome if it brewed coffee, and you could just hold your mug under its "chin" and get a refill.I like that idea. The neck could double as a coffee bean grinder and you could hold up to four flavors of your favorite creamer in its hollow legs.

Also, optional Fleshlight attached to the undercarriage.

Jargo
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
you worry me cappy.

if they can cram in a troop hold like the rear of the AT-TE then that'd be cool. if they can cram in a deck under that that will hold the two hoth speederbikes then that's cool.
if the huge access/egress hatch slid open like it does in ROTJ that'd be fine.

three figure cockpit. what would be cool is if there was a little sliding panel and underneath was a viewing lens. you piut your eye to it and by the miracle of light refraction you can see what Veers would see. the vista ahead with range markers.
the chin guns should definitely light up and move with a recoil when they fire though no projectiles please. a ratchet mechanism that allows the cockpit to move around on the neck and not droop would be most good. most good indeed. rear cockpit hatch for access down the neck to the troop deck. and some LEDs to illuminate both the cockpit and troop deck.

the legs need to be thicker and stronger and the hips really strong so the damn thing doesn't wobble side to side. and the feet need to be chunky. look like they could easily squish a snowspeeder.

should come with a commander. possibly Veers or maybe Veers body with a new head. plus two driver/pilots.

the rapple line and bomb should come with a separate carded luke snowspeeder pilot sold separately.

sound effects and movie quotes. I'm not a fan. the sounds on the POTF2 AT-AT did my head in. I think it encourages more play if you allow the kid to make their own sounds. but i guess the sounds and quotes thing is what your average supernerd wants in their toys they never take out of the box.

CaptainSolo1138
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
you worry me cappy.
Please tell me that's not a new development, sugar. I have the only padded user profile page here.

Not that I would buy it anyway, but the only thing I'd want out of a new AT-AT is better scaling. While its damn near impossible to scale it for the figures, I'd at least like them to keep the head the same size (or maybe a tad bigger to maybe squeeze a Veers in the middle) and proportion the body relative to it.

Rocketboy
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
It should have an Easy Bake Oven, so when you're done playing you can have a snack.

CaptainSolo1138
08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
It should have an Easy Bake Oven, so when you're done playing you can have a snack.
That's what your mom is for. BA-ZING! :rimshot:

vader121
08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Must have:
-Cockpit big enough to fit 2 drivers
-Ability to recreate the Luke cable maneuver
-electronic cannons that move along with ability to play other sounds like the At At walk, Captain Needa dialog, and blaster cannon sound
-cargo hold big enough to hold at least 10 snowtroopers and a speeder bike
-flexible legs

Nice to have:
-larger cockpit with ability to have other figures behind the drivers standing or sitting like in ESB
-cargo hold ability to open on both sides
-ability to have the legs capable of blasting off the torso to simulate battle
-tow cable that can wrap around the At At like in ESB. Could work in conjunction with a new Snowspeeder
-ability to have At At settle down so troops could unload with a off ramp. We still don't know how the troops disembarked do we?

The scaled version shown here is very nice but many of us would get reemed out by our wives if we actually bought one at the price tag it would command.

DarkArtist
08-24-2008, 07:21 PM
i would love it if the cockpit is large enough for at least 4 figures, snowtrooper, General Veers and 2 drivers, also need to have the periscope that Veers uses as well as a mini Holo Vader, perhaps micro machine size.

2 speeder bikes in the storage area, retracable grapple gun for Luke, and the cargo area should be large enough to hold at least 10 troops.

also the size needs to be huge, i really, really want to be able to recreate the scene of the Walker crushing Luke's snowspeeder.

BaneMalar
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I think that every vehicle should have the speederbike ability to explode.

BTW you would still need the Veers figure included with the AT-AT...which was the only reason I ever bought mine the first time around.