PDA

View Full Version : Big Deal On Yarna???

PAA_707
07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here, some homeboy in Wal-Mart referred me here. We were both lookin at the new figures and he laced me up. Maybe I'll run into him round here eventually.

Anyhow my question is what the hell is the big deal with Yarna. I am new to collecting these figures. So my knowledge is limited. All I know is Yarna was probably my least favorite. And everywhere I go on the web everyone was anticipating her. I barely remember her from the movies, if it's her I'm even thinking of.

Anyhow lace me on game, what's so big about her. I realize it would be a first time release, but I saw on some list she was most anticipated to come out. I thought it was crazy.

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Anyhow lace me on game,

I can honestly say I have no clue what that phrase means. :confused:

Anyways, Yarna has consistently been at the top of want lists here for over 7 years now. Mainly because she's a memorable character from the film, was one of the few characters from Jabba's Palace to never be immortalized in plastic, and a few years ago Hasbro made the mistake of saying it was highly unlikely that she would ever be made.:D

That's also why everyone suddenly wants the Tonnika Sisters.:)

Beast
07-31-2008, 06:13 PM
What BigB said.

I pretty much stopped collecting Star Wars a couple years ago, but I'll buy Yarna.

Mostly because I vowed if Hasbro would make her, I would buy her.

DarkArtist
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
well i honestly say i was never for Yarna, being a character that had a few seconds of screen time but for what it's worth it is a nice figure. also one of the few figures (along with Vader) that I am having a hard time finding on the shelves. I have only seen Yarna once and have yet to see her again so the figure is either short packed or really flying off the shevles. either way it is a nice figure and SA to boot on a background character makes it worth the price.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
For me, it was her touching story from the Tales From Jabba's Palace book.

And, we're back. Sorry folks, little issue there, but rest assured, the REAL Bel-Cam is now back. :p

Kidding. The figure itself isn't much. I think it was like the Grand Moff Tarkin one from the POTF2 line; people just wanted a never-before-made figure. I bought her for her parts... droid parts! To build the droid R7-whatever! :eek: Which BC-J is this, anyway?

PAA_707
07-31-2008, 07:10 PM
well i honestly say i was never for Yarna, being a character that had a few seconds of screen time but for what it's worth it is a nice figure. also one of the few figures (along with Vader) that I am having a hard time finding on the shelves. I have only seen Yarna once and have yet to see her again so the figure is either short packed or really flying off the shevles. either way it is a nice figure and SA to boot on a background character makes it worth the price.

That's crazy you've only seen her once. Every store I go to around here has massive amounts of her. Except I've never seen one of her with the 1st day issue sticker.

Neuroleptic
07-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Collectors have wanted for for a few reasons. She's never been made, she's a memorable (if fugly) background character, some collectors are 'focus collectors' who collect only Jaba's palace figures and she's one of the few that hasn't been made yet, and . . . and . . .

I have no idea why people want this figure personaly.

I havn't seen it on the shelves here, but I don't want it. It's just ugly to me.

My best advice would be to buy what you like. If you don't like Yarna, do not buy her.

Hasbro's modern figures have very little re-sale value after a year or so. So it's best to only buy what you like.

AmanaMatt
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Kenner was making her into a figure back in the day - prototypes can be seen, but she was never fully realized nor released.

Also, one of the idiot Hasbro execs indicated (if I remember correctly) we would NEVER see her under his command - he's gone, now we have her - so, she is a fan victory

Shes mighty purty too!

pegger
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
She's owes me $20 bucks. B*tch....

Banthaholic
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
As AmanaMatt pointed out, Kenner had a protoype for her back in 84-85, but the figure never made it as the line was canceled. You can see those pics here: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48903

For some alot of obscure charcters is whats makes Star Wars so cool. It's what distiguishes our line from others. We get alomst everyone including the 3rd alien from the right, you know the one you blink and you miss him. While other lines get 6 versions of the same super-character and 1 villion and thats it (cough hulk, spiderman, superman). It's almost worth pushing the envelope to see how obscure Hasbro will get, Yarna, The Ice Cream Guy, or my wish Ackmena.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
All this has kind of made her legendary, so to finally have her is pretty great.

Beast
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Now we need to start working on getting my love, Madame Jocasta Nu.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jocasta_Nu

El Chuxter
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Six boobs, my friend. Six boobs. That's three times the fun. :beard:

PAA_707
07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
I guess I can see why she is wanted by collectors that have been collecting for many years. You probably already have 5 different Anakins, Lukes, Yodas, etc. So it's nice to have some different ones.

I just started collecting Star Wars toys this year, so I'm new. I saw the original 3 when I was a kid. Didn't see the new 3 until this year on SPIKE. And I fell in love. It's pretty funny I made it threw my years as a kid not owning one Star Wars toy. Now I've bought 20 figures since Saturday, hahaha.

TheDarthVader
07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Isn't collecting fun? I wanted Yarna because I am a HUGE fan of anything related with Jabba's palace. I have purchased the inclusive jabba, the bubo pack, leia as slave, the band statue, and the crumb pack. (those are higher end collectibles) I wanted Yarna because she is so hot and dead sexy. And we had the other dancer, Oola, and we needed the other one (not counting the SE). They made all of the SE dancers before Yarna. WTF!? Yarna is star wars.

sebillba
08-01-2008, 02:40 AM
I guess I can see why she is wanted by collectors that have been collecting for many years. You probably already have 5 different Anakins, Lukes, Yodas, etc. So it's nice to have some different ones.

If only it were so few!! I've got 32 "different" Anakins, 27 Yodas and 64 Lukes!!!! And that's not counting doubles!! (I used to buy 2 or 3 of each Yoda!)

ncbarrett
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM

I just started collecting Star Wars toys this year, so I'm new. I saw the original 3 when I was a kid. Didn't see the new 3 until this year on SPIKE. And I fell in love. It's pretty funny I made it threw my years as a kid not owning one Star Wars toy. Now I've bought 20 figures since Saturday, hahaha.

I myself just started collecting figures again.
I had some as a kid, at least a Darth Vader and a Luke with the light saber that went into their arm.
I now have 7(5 Legacy, 2 CW), 8 including r4-d6. (new Luke and Vader of course, I have them fighting on top my shelf)
I will be getting at least a few more from this and the next wave.
I wanted to collect before now, but didn't have a lot of motivation.
The Clone Wars movie has sparked motivation. That combined with my 12 week old daughter, whom will inherit them to play or keep as she sees fit.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
For some alot of obscure charcters is whats makes Star Wars so cool. It's what distiguishes our line from others. We get alomst everyone including the 3rd alien from the right, you know the one you blink and you miss him. ... It's almost worth pushing the envelope to see how obscure Hasbro will get, ...Here's what'll be da bomb; Hasbro will have a gallery online of "types" of people (based on skin and hair color, gender, age, etc.) that a person can click on, and a removable helmet Stormtrooper with a name you select (also from a clickable option) for the card name. That way, you can say YOU were one of those "obscure" characters in a film. :thumbsup:

PAA_707
08-01-2008, 10:35 AM
It's funny cuze I'm 24, and like I said I made it through my whole childhood without any Star Wars toys. I might have had a few when I was a real youngster, but none that I can remember. Of course I saw episodes IV thru VI a few times, but they hit me harder as an adult I guess you could say.

I was even late watching episodes I thru III. Until they aired them on Spike about 3-4 months ago, and I was hooked. To be honest I never thought I'd get this much into Star Wars, but I've been sucked in.

I started collecting the Star Wars Legos a few months ago, and said those were the only ones I'd collect. But I'm hooked on the regular action figures now.

Especially since most of the Lego sets I like are all retired and overpriced. I'll still get some Legos, but I'm really lovin these action figures now. More for your money

obi-dad
08-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't know where I'm pulling this out of, but I heard/read somewhere that both Tarkin & Yarna had been planned by Kenner, but never made and I think that's another reason some people wanted her.

But, almost any figure that hasn't been made has some fan base just screaming for that figure. Especially if Hasbro says it probably won't be made: icecream maker guy, Tonika sisters (really what's the big deal with them other than they haven't been made yet and one of the actresses never signed the likeness contract?), whatever Bea Arthur's character's name was in the Holiday Special - there's a current petition for her, the list goes on and on.

I'm sure collectors won't be happy until almost every background character, and main character (in costumes that haven't been made yet) are finally imortalized in plastic. Then all the old, crappy likenesses, poorly ariculated figures are resculpted to meet our standards, get made as well. I think they have another 10 years with the current license, so they better get cranking them out!

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know where I'm pulling this out of, but I heard/read somewhere that both Tarkin & Yarna had been planned by Kenner, but never made and I think that's another reason some people wanted her.

Yarna made it all the way to the prototype stage until Lucasfilm pulled the plug. Tarkin was a part of Kenner's plans to expand the line beyond ROTJ in a "Star Wars is Forever" campaign, back in the mid-80s. It was an attempt to respark kids' interest and revive lagging sales, since GI Joe and Transformers were ruling the toy universe back then and interest in Star Wars toys was at an all-time low.

Supposedly a story was going to be written that explain how Tarkin managed to escape the Death Star at the very last second before it exploded. But Lucasfilm decided that they didn't want to go in an "expanded universe" direction and the entire line was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Sinscia Fat'o
08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Why do people want yarna? Because she never made...The six breasts thing sucked some people in i'm sure, ROTJ being a lot of people's favorite movie was another... Personally i never really wanted the figure, meaning she wasn't on my most desired lists...but if they made her i would buy her...and buy her i did, and i do have to say it's one of the best figures we've gotten so far from the legacy line, and to my surprise she's sold out at the wally world i work at...which surprised me ALOT.

Welcome to the hobby though!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Actually, the figure's "endowments" seem to be more rounded in a belly way, so I wonder if that was done to lessen the ... dang, this is difficult to describe euphemistically. :rolleyes:

That way, you can say YOU were one of those "obscure" characters in a film. :thumbsup:I bought an "Only at WalMart" Clone 501st Legion with a card that allows the buyer (hey, that's ME! :D ) to become a clone trooper. Wow. Impressive.

PAA_707
08-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Actually, the figure's "endowments" seem to be more rounded in a belly way, so I wonder if that was done to lessen the ... dang, this is difficult to describe euphemistically. :rolleyes:

I bought an "Only at WalMart" Clone 501st Legion with a card that allows the buyer (hey, that's ME! :D ) to become a clone trooper. Wow. Impressive.

Well I asked my local Wal Mart about these 501st Legion, and they said they weren't suppose to be out yet. I'm glad I grabbd 2 of them last night. HAHAHAHA

Anyhow all because of the hype I finally bought my 2nd Yarna. Of course not one of my favorites, but I wanted to get her before she was gone for good. If that's ever, haha. I also bought 2 Ak-Revs. Of course I would rather have a million others to take outta the package first, but I want to get the rare ones first. I gotta find 2 Bane Malors now. This brings my total figure count in the last week to 40. My god I just counted 40, I didn't even believe it.