PDA

View Full Version : Are the AT-TE's legs that bad?

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
I've been looking at this toy and considering buying it when I get a chance; but am a little hesitant when I read of problems with the legs supporting the weight of the overall toy.

How bad is it really? Bad enough that I should hold off on buying it in the hopes that a corrected rerelease will show up in a year or two? Or is it something that can be easily overlooked or corrected?

I'm actually tempted to buy this before the Falcon since I've owned 4 Falcon toys over the course of the last 20 years and the AT-TE has the distinction of being all new and a vehicle that I have wanted for about 6 years now.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 02:14 AM
I experienced the set firsthand at Tycho's during Comic-Con, and those legs were holding it up in most poses, but whenever we'd push the button to activate the rear deck, something would get out of alignment - often, the front end would drop. Also, oftentimes when the vehicle was picked up, at least one of the lower legs was left behind, and sometimes a few poses were not careful enough and the lower legs would abandon ship almost like it had been critically hit. I dunno how this thing would do full of figures either, it was barely holding its own most of the time as it was.

The Falcon has leg problems too, but nothing like this.

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Anybody know of a quick fix jury rig for this sort of thing?

I have bought everything I want so far except the Falcon and the AT-TE. Was just fixing to do so soon, as there are plenty around, but now am a little hesitant.

Maybe this would be something Hasbro needs to be aware of immediately in the Q&A, so they can fix it now.

jedi master sal
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
It's been discussed already, but the nuts and bolts of the fix is apparently a 3/16 flexible clear plastic tubing that you can find at any major hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. A small piece cut to 5/8" IIRC, is the right size. Insert this into the space between the prongs that connect the legs to the body. This allows for a tighter fit, yet not so unwielding that you can't take it apart again if needed. Though the originator of this fix does stress to be careful when taking it apart again after you've inserted the tubing.

Here's a direct link to the thread on anotheR Site, along with the pictures:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/picparking/AT_TE_joint_closeup_2.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/picparking/AT_TE_joint_closeup.jpg

It seems like a minor inexpensive fix to the problem. I still one week after purchasing it, have yet to open the box. Man I'm slacking....
-Sal

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been hearing some disturbing news that Hasbro has cut production of the AT-TE and Falcon short because of the cost. So once this initial shipment has sold through, that's it. Hasbro's not making any more.

Maybe that's why the Hasbro rep said that they needed 100% support of the toys from the fans.

Also the stores that can't seem to sell either one are already planning to drop the prices for both in a couple of weeks. That would probably include my Wal-Mart since they haven't sold a single Falcon or AT-TE in almost a week.

I'm not going to take any chances here. I would like to support Hasbro's decision to make large vehicles (because success will eventually trickle down to the GI Joe toy line) and I want to do that by paying full price for these two awesome toys.

So, I'll be buying the AT-TE first chance I get and will try to get the Falcon within the next couple of weeks.

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
It's been discussed already, but the nuts and bolts of the fix is apparently a 3/16 flexible clear plastic tubing that you can find at any major hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. A small piece cut to 5/8" IIRC, is the right size. Insert this into the space between the prongs that connect the legs to the body. This allows for a tighter fit, yet not so unwielding that you can't take it apart again if needed. Though the originator of this fix does stress to be careful when taking it apart again after you've inserted the tubing.

Here's a direct link to the thread on anotheR Site, along with the pictures:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/picparking/AT_TE_joint_closeup_2.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/picparking/AT_TE_joint_closeup.jpg

It seems like a minor inexpensive fix to the problem. I still one week after purchasing it, have yet to open the box. Man I'm slacking....
-Sal
Thanks, that looks like a good enough solution.
As long as it's a simple fix like that, I don't mind.

Now I'm more afraid they are going to cut production as BigB said.

I guess I need to go over to the Falcon forum to see what's going on with that.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Good idea on the tubing, it is flexible after all.

Production drop? I doubt it, the sales on the first day were stellar, that should coast it right into Christmas which is where both pieces will do their main business. I suspect these rumors are just fear-based ether, but we'll see. I intend to buy the Falcon at the end of this month, not likely to buy the AT-TE without a price drop merely because I don't have the space or money.

Ando
08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I've been hearing some disturbing news that Hasbro has cut production of the AT-TE and Falcon short because of the cost. So once this initial shipment has sold through, that's it. Hasbro's not making any more.

Maybe that's why the Hasbro rep said that they needed 100% support of the toys from the fans.

Also the stores that can't seem to sell either one are already planning to drop the prices for both in a couple of weeks. That would probably include my Wal-Mart since they haven't sold a single Falcon or AT-TE in almost a week.

I'm not going to take any chances here. I would like to support Hasbro's decision to make large vehicles (because success will eventually trickle down to the GI Joe toy line) and I want to do that by paying full price for these two awesome toys.

So, I'll be buying the AT-TE first chance I get and will try to get the Falcon within the next couple of weeks.

Can I ask where you heard this? I am still hoping to pick up another AT-TE (now that I fix the leg problem, I'm just about over the moon about it!) or two in the coming months for my clone army and I'd really hate to see it be gone for good.

jedi master sal
08-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Well I'm picking up my second AT-TE tonight! If costs go down, I'll try for a receipt adjust and a refund. Otherwise, I'm fine with paying full price.

These sold VERY WELL for TRU. It's WM and Target's fault for not having midnight madness events or not putting their stuff out the next morning. (I realize some WMs and Ts did this, but many did not, thereby losing sales)

OOOh wait! KMart is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale on ALL SW toys! I'm going there and getting 3!!! Their cost is the SAME as everyone else too, I just called my local one to find out.

Though when I talked with the girl who checked she said they were having a buy 1 get 1 half off. So we'll see when I get there. Either deal is sweet enough for me. They just better have 2 or 3. I can just see them only having one on the shelves and refusing to bring out more even if they have them in stock.

Go to kmart.com look to the right for the weekly ad. Click on that and find the one for this week (ad prices end TOMORROW!!!) print out the page with the SW ad on it and take it to the store (in case they don't have the circular-this way they can't back out of giving it to you for that price).

Ando
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
...OOOh wait! KMart is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale on ALL SW toys! I'm going there and getting 3!!! Their cost is the SAME as everyone else too, I just called my local one to find out.
Go to kmart.com look to the right for the weekly ad. Click on that and find the one for this week (ad prices end TOMORROW!!!) print out the page with the SW ad on it and take it to the store (in case they don't have the circular-this way they can't back out of giving it to you for that price).

Thanks for the tip about K Mart. I will have to check them out. I'm down to $140.00 in my toy fund until NEXT Friday, but I may have to break down and buy another AT-TE or two tonight or tomorrow (if I can find them at K Mart. The Target near my office had 3 when I stopped there during my lunch break.

bigbarada
08-02-2008, 01:21 AM
the sales on the first day were stellar,

Not in my area. It's officially been a week since MM and the Wal-Mart in Litchfield, IL is the only store with a toy section, in a 30 mile radius, that is stocking both vehicles and they haven't sold a single Falcon or AT-TE yet. None of the other Wal-Marts in this area ordered them.

Everything else is moving at a decent pace and there's been plenty of action in the Star Wars section over the last week, but no one is touching the big vehicles around here.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:00 AM
It's possible they've sold some and replaced the box with backstock, this is SOP for the large vehicles at WM and Target (TRU seems to not be doing backstock, everything hits the floor).

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, I bought an AT-TE last night and I'm having trouble with one of the center legs. Fortunately the outer 4 legs can support it's weight enough to keep it from being a major problem.

I did plan to get the 3/16" tubing for the fix, just so I don't have to worry about it; but I went by Ace Hardware today and they are completely out of 3/16" tubing and the lady told me they wouldn't have any more until Wednesday.:upset:

There's no Home Depot or Lowe's anywhere near me, so I might try Rural King or Tractor Supply Co. in Litchfield. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait until Wednesday.

Ando
08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, I bought an AT-TE last night and I'm having trouble with one of the center legs. Fortunately the outer 4 legs can support it's weight enough to keep it from being a major problem.

I did plan to get the 3/16" tubing for the fix, just so I don't have to worry about it; but I went by Ace Hardware today and they are completely out of 3/16" tubing and the lady told me they wouldn't have any more until Wednesday.:upset:

There's no Home Depot or Lowe's anywhere near me, so I might try Rural King or Tractor Supply Co. in Litchfield. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait until Wednesday.

Try 5/16" if they have it. That's what I used.

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Try 5/16" if they have it. That's what I used.

If Tractor Supply or Rural King doesn't have the 3/16" then I'll try that. I mean it's not like this stuff is expensive, so I can afford a little trial and error. Thanks.

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, I stopped by Rural King (kind of like a Wal-Mart for farmers - they sell everything from overalls to baby chickens) and found some 3/16" vinyl tubing for $0.19 a foot. So I bought one foot of the stuff and only needed it to strengthen up two of my AT-TEs legs. Everything else is pretty solid. I'll hold onto the extra tubing just in case I need it later.

Did I mention that I love this toy?:thumbsup:

Lazer Brain
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks for the tips on the legs, i will be trying this very soon to see if it works. i have already posted a complaint on the hasbro site, but have not heard from them. i have plenty of wood dowels at the house, I might try that out first to see if it works, now that i understand the problem the fix should not be that bad.
later

Lazer Brain
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
FANTASIC! thanks for the ideas, I was looking at wood dowels,but did not have the right size, so i took a colored pencil and cut that into 1/4" inch long pieces, used some poster tack to hold in place and stuck that inbetween the pegs. and now my ATTE can roam the galaxy. thanks guys!
later

RipDrayen
08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I registered just to check on everyone elses status with the AT-TE.

Mine also looks like it was just destroyed by the CIS Army once you press the latch action button.

usually the middle two legs bow out and the frint knee caps fall off...kinda funny but aggravating at the same time =P

Ando
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I registered just to check on everyone elses status with the AT-TE.

Mine also looks like it was just destroyed by the CIS Army once you press the latch action button.

usually the middle two legs bow out and the frint knee caps fall off...kinda funny but aggravating at the same time =P

Have you read through the posts on this thread? There are a few fixes for this toy that are easy and inexpensive.

Lazer Brain
08-22-2008, 12:57 PM
well, i got an email from hasbla today , they are sending me out new legs for my atte , i will post when i get them and how good they work.
later

JediTricks
08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow, kinda surprised to hear that. Please take photos of whatever you get.

WesleySr
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, after reading this thread, I will definitely try the clear tubing. I am on my second AT-TE. The first one that I had, the buttons on the top cannon did not work, therefore none of the cannon lights worked. However, the screen did light up when I pushed one of the body buttons. I had problems with the legs on the one I took back and the one that I have now (but the lights do work lol). On a side note, regarding the price, Toys R Us was giving out coupons for 20% off any one item. I used it to get my 2nd AT-TE for $80. The coupons are still good. You all may want to check your local TRU and see if they have any to give out.

Ando
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
On a side note, regarding the price, Toys R Us was giving out coupons for 20% off any one item. I used it to get my 2nd AT-TE for $80. The coupons are still good. You all may want to check your local TRU and see if they have any to give out.

Dang.

I'll have to check that out this week. When do the coupons expire?

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Anybody try 1/4" tubing yet? Tycho was explaining how the 3/16ths tubing didn't work as well as he hoped, so he was gonna try 5/16ths, so I figure maybe he should try the size in between, 4/16ths aka 1/4.

WesleySr
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
The coupons expire tomorrow, 8/28. I was in my TRU today, South Charleston, WV and they still had some to give away, but alas, no AT-TE's.

Ando
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Better get myself to TRU after work, then.

An $80.00 AT-TE would be sweet.

Lazer Brain
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
OK, I sent a email to hasbro about the legs ( 8-18-08), and today (8-28-08) I got the 'new' legs in the mail, thats pretty quick. They look the same as the old ones , but they seam to hold in a little bit better.I am going to still keep the wood pin in, it still works better with the fix.
here are some pics.
later

bigbarada
08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Did they just send you the center legs?

Lazer Brain
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
yes, just the center ones.

JediTricks
08-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Lame! It's the front and back legs that really should be doing the work. I can't wait till Tuesday when they answer our Q&A question about this.

I can't believe the post office got it to your house though, what with the unreadable scribbling on the address label. ;)

Snowtrooper
09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I finally got around to opening my AT-TE. I must've got the ultra rare version where all six of the legs actually work. After hearing all of the problems that people have been having, I was shocked that they worked so well. Its very sturdy. This thing rocks!!!

For those of you who are having problems with the legs I did notice something when I put mine together. After I got the legs put on, one of the rear ones fell off immediately. I put it back on and I squeezed the joint where it fit pretty hard until I heard a click. The leg is on nice and solid now, so I obviously didnt have it put together the whole way the first time. I don't know if this will correct your problems or not, but it worked for me. Also, each leg has a specific part of the body that it goes to and I've read on other sites that incorrect placement can result in the legs falling off. I hope you don't mind these suggestions. I don't want to imply that anyone is stupid and hasn't tried these already. Just that some may have overlooked them.

I also have a question about the rear hatch. When I'm shutting the rear hatch, it makes an audible clicking noise which doesn't sound good to me. Shutting it slow helps some. Does everyone's do that and if it does is that normal and not a flaw, cause it sounds like plastic gears grinding to me.

Bar
09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I also have a question about the rear hatch. When I'm shutting the rear hatch, it makes an audible clicking noise which doesn't sound good to me. Shutting it slow helps some. Does everyone's do that and if it does is that normal and not a flaw, cause it sounds like plastic gears grinding to me.

There aren't any gears to speak of in there to damage. I have had mine TOTALLY apart, and there is only a slow-release spring mechanism in the rear(At the hinge). The noise you are hearing is the slow-release mechanism being reloaded(Loading up the spring to keep the movement slow).
Don't worry. It's MEANT to sound like that. Mine did too, before i removed the hinge system.
Bar.

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 05:11 AM
For those of you who are having problems with the legs I did notice something when I put mine together. After I got the legs put on, one of the rear ones fell off immediately. I put it back on and I squeezed the joint where it fit pretty hard until I heard a click. The leg is on nice and solid now, so I obviously didnt have it put together the whole way the first time. I don't know if this will correct your problems or not, but it worked for me. Also, each leg has a specific part of the body that it goes to and I've read on other sites that incorrect placement can result in the legs falling off. I hope you don't mind these suggestions. I don't want to imply that anyone is stupid and hasn't tried these already. Just that some may have overlooked them.Tycho's definitely didn't have a travel issue that I could detect, but it's possible it never fully traveled into the joint due to factory issues - I am kinda doubting it, but it's not unfeasible. And I verified that Tycho's leg joints were put on the proper locations.