PDA

View Full Version : I have built my first build-a-droids!

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I wasn't really interested in this at first, I've never liked the BAF concept wherever it was strewn, but here it makes the most sense as you can believe you'd find droids and droid parts pretty much all over the SW universe. Anyway, over the last few days I've gotten lucky enough to find nearly everything from wave 1 (still looking for Bane Malor) and I picked up a figure from wave 2. Only last night though did I realize I had 2 whole droids' worth of parts, so I threw them together.

I completed R4-D6. The best part is indeed the main body, which has peg holes near the bottom of the side so you can give an astromech legs and arms from a protocol droid, very cute and makes a funny tall astro when you just plug his legs in below. I love the sculpted detail at the top of the body which get covered by the dome, that's some really clever work. The wheels are all smooth on this, and the wires in the feet done well. The figure is a tiny bit shorter in the legs than regular astromech figs, and if you get OCD about these things like I do, it causes the leg alignment to be too shallow, but generally this is a decent Imperial-type figure.

With the other wave 1 droid, R7-Z0, I am still missing the body, so I put all the other parts (legs and dome) on the wave 2 R4-J1 body - luckily, they were a decent color match. This droid is alright, but I hope they don't lean too heavily on this design, I never really loved this dome design, it has EU written all over it as it's not all that SW, but Hasbro did a good job realizing it. The removable jets pop off at the slightest brushing, and leave an unsightly gap just like their previous uses. The wheels for R7 were a little stickier than R4 above, but both are better rollers than the new animated R2-D2's wheels.

Ultimately, this is a good addition when buying figures at WM and TRU because the prices haven't gone up there, so you're still getting the amount of figure you got last year PLUS you really do get a bonus figure when you put enough parts together, and they really don't need to match that much to still work. The holes under the side vents is clever and not visually distracting. I'd like to see hinges on the center leg to work with the height problem on the leg, or something else worked out, but this is super minor. Really, what I want most is different domes - R5 domes for sure, and maybe a clear R3 dome, the internal parts of the generic body plug will cover the visual needs there I think.

Phantom-like Menace
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
It's fairly satisfying to finish one of these. R4-D6 was the first one I finished as well, but now I'm on R7-T1. The last piece I need, the head, comes with the Quarren, so I assume I can just walk into the average store and find one. I don't know which one I'll work on next, but I'm always happy to see more astromechs.

jedi master sal
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
You're in luck JT, there is a R5 droid coming from a later wave. It's the Yellow one that's found rolling across the screen in Mos Eisley as the Heroes are driving to the cantina.

I've got extra parts galore, mostly bodies and heads/middle legs.

I'm going to put a parts list together tonight and put that in the trades section. I'll sell the parts too. $1.50 for a leg or body or head/middle leg. I figure that's fair. Exact shipping of course.

I too would love to see an R3 come from this.

Thunderbird
08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
This has to be my favorite pack ins to date. I pick up two sets of figures last week and was able to build the first 4 Droids. I can't wait for the next one:thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
You're in luck JT, there is a R5 droid coming from a later wave. It's the Yellow one that's found rolling across the screen in Mos Eisley as the Heroes are driving to the cantina.Right, R5-A2, I forgot about this, I was way too busy during that Hasbro panel. And they're doing an R2 dome in that wave as well, but no R3 yet.

Yeah, this is a very decent pack-in, it's done similar to the holograms of the TSC line, but without the suck factor. :p

Kidhuman
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I actually like this concept. The only downside is I missed the exclusive 2 packs that had C3-PX in it.

Tycho
08-02-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree: this is the greatest pack-in concept and adds one more aspect to the collecting fun. The extra weapons lockers (Clone Gear) on the Legends figures is also a great choice. The only other pack-in I ever cared about were figure stands, but I prefer clear stands, not black ones with labels. The molded diorama stands worked though (Hand-stand Luke Dagobah, etc.)

But let's see: we've had an extra EU weapon (blah), Holo-foil stickers (blah), Freeze Frames (useless), Flashback picture changers (joy), CommTechs (kind of creative, but ultimately a failure), Force-Files (entertaining - but only once), "blast effects" (those were kind of cool), figure stands of various kinds (YES!), Holograms (should have been movie-accurate)***, and collector coins (hmmm-hmmm...snore).

This year the Clone Gear and Build-A-Droid stuff rocks so much more, it's incredible! I'm surprised they can factor in the cost of the droid parts because while they have the tooling - they still have to do multiple runs with paint applications for the parts. That's enough to make you curious.

**** Holograms they could have done in 2006:

Leia's "Help me Obi-Wan. You're my only hope."
Darth Vader's appearence on Veers' AT-AT. I think one Vader holo works here.
Obi-Wan's spirit, miniaturized in some way.
Imperial Officers - especially one reacting to the asteroid explosion (collect 3!)
Darth Maul in cloak - not action posed
Darth Sidious
Count Dooku, non-action posed
General Grievous, non-action posed
Bail Organa
Obi-Wan Kenobi - here you can do an action pose from Geonosis
Obi-Wan Kenobi - non-action posed
Yoda in chair
Ki-Adi Mundi in chair
Plo Koon in chair
Why not all the Jedi Council Members in their chairs for the small hologram on Kashyyyk?
Anakin kneeling (as Darth Vader)
Darth Vader kneeling (ESB)
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight, non-action posed
Han Solo AT-ST Driver take
Sio Bibble
Nute Gunray
OOM-9

I mean - there were plenty of possibilities that could have been done - even off-scale or slightly "EU." Instead Hasbro took the opportunity to make "chess board action pieces." I guess that's kind of alright, but if they ever re-visit the hologram idea...

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I mean - there were plenty of possibilities that could have been done - even off-scale or slightly "EU." Instead Hasbro took the opportunity to make "chess board action pieces." I guess that's kind of alright, but if they ever re-visit the hologram idea...

True true . . . but personaly? I hope they stick with the biuld a droid for quite some time. Even if you don't get a compleat droid, you can still biuld a droid once you get a left leg, right leg, body and a head. And since some droids in star wars look cobbled together (R5-D4's miss matched pannels, C-3po's silver leg, and several other nameless background droids with heads that don't match the bodies such as the 'R3' droid in Mos esely with a red dome) they still go Ok in any diorama as background figures.

Kidhuman
08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone can make a list of what droid parts with corresponding name has come/will come with each figure? I have a few extra parts already and would like to do some trading of parts perhaps. A carded collector would be great for this.

Darth Jax
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
i can get you started KH, but i only know the ones from packs i've see so far:

BD 1 - Han - R4-D6 left leg
BD 2 - Luke - R4-D6 right leg
BD 3 -
BD 4 - Ewok pack - R4-D6 body
BD 5 - Ak-Rev - R7-ZO left leg
BD 6 - Yarna - R7-ZO right leg
BD 7 - Bane - R7-ZO body
BD 8 -
BD 9 - Obi - R4-J1 left leg
BD10 -
BD11 -
BD12 - Padme -R7-T1 left leg
BD13 - IG droid - R4-J1 body
BD14 -
BD15 - quarren - R7-T1 dome
BD16 -

JediTricks
08-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Keep in mind, just like the holos, once a new wave hits, the older figures still shipping will have their droid parts changed.

Old Fossil
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
BD-8 is the head and middle leg for R7-Z0, comes w/Vader, IIRC. It's the only droid I've "built" so far and though it looks cheaper than a regular carded Astro droid, I'm much happier having it than I was with coins or mini hologram figures.

jjreason
08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm finished C3PX and the dark blue R4 droid. Both are fine albeit a little rubbery. I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with getting them at full figure price however - not sure if that's the fact that they're made of pack-in parts or if they just seem cheaper overall than "real" figures. I think it's a bit of both (and to be honest, wave 1 Legacy Chewie seems a might cheap for a "real" figure as well, even though he looks pretty good).

jjreason
08-02-2008, 02:41 PM
i can get you started KH, but i only know the ones from packs i've see so far:

BD 1 - Han - R4-D6 left leg
BD 2 - Luke - R4-D6 right leg
BD 3 -
BD 4 - Ewok pack - R4-D6 body
BD 5 - Ak-Rev - R7-ZO left leg
BD 6 - Yarna - R7-ZO right leg
BD 7 - Bane - R7-ZO body
BD 8 -
BD 9 - Obi - R4-J1 left leg
BD10 -
BD11 -
BD12 - Padme -R7-T1 left leg
BD13 - IG droid - R4-J1 body
BD14 -
BD15 - quarren - R7-T1 dome
BD16 -

The new Vader is the head & middle leg for the R7 unit.

Up here we're also seeing "GH" figures numbered 1-4; these are the weird Legacy repacks which are somehow NOT part of the Legends line. Those 4 figures are Kashyyyk Trooper and Gree from last year along with Evo Trooper and (one other figure) from this year. Purchased together these 4 would allow you to build the same dark blue R4-D6 droid as is included with Han, Luke et al from wave 1.

Phantom-like Menace
08-02-2008, 03:51 PM
We have a list of what parts come with what figures in the Droid Parts section.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=629923&postcount=16

Tycho
08-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Phantom-Like Menace did a bang-up great job with that list, and I took it and ran with it, listing what I have and what I'd trade for in the very same thread. It's in this section. I have trade-credit with you KH, so I'd be happy to take care of you if I can and it's mutually beneficial.

DarkArtist
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I absolutely love the idea of the build a droid series. all I need is Vader to complete the R7-ZO droid. I can't believe out of all the figures Vader is still the one figure that I have not seen on the pegs since the 23rd in VA at a K-Mart. I knew I should have picked it up then. Oh well. does the head for the droid come with any other figure ? I've noticed that the legs and some of the bodies are being packed with the GH line but have yet to see the heads being pack in with other figures.

Kidhuman
08-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Up here we're also seeing "GH" figures numbered 1-4; these are the weird Legacy repacks which are somehow NOT part of the Legends line. Those 4 figures are Kashyyyk Trooper and Gree from last year along with Evo Trooper and (one other figure) from this year. Purchased together these 4 would allow you to build the same dark blue R4-D6 droid as is included with Han, Luke et al from wave 1.

The other figure is TFU battle damaged Vader

Kidhuman
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
We have a list of what parts come with what figures in the Droid Parts section.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=629923&postcount=16

Very nice list, thanks for the help.

Tycho, I have extras of the Dark Blue astromech body, it came with Yarna, so I know you have it already and doubles of the Scuba Troopers parts(BD-10 third leg and dome for R4-J1)

omnithx
08-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Seems I'm a little slow this week. Here's a group photo of astromechs to cheer up all the droid nerds like me.

x13squadleader
08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
well here are a couple picks of my droids.

Phantom-like Menace
08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
I've never seen anyone army build droids. I'm going to have to get all my astromechs together for a nice group shot. The only one I have a duplicate of for display is R5-D4 since Porkins astromech--from what I've been told--looks exactly the same.

I assembled R7-T1 on the same day I found the set with R5-M2, so my astromechs welcomed two more to the fold. I got a second piece for R4-D6, so I have both legs. Damned scuba trooper. Haven't seen a one.

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Dang, you guys have a ton of Astromechs, that's awesome!

I think this is going to be my preferred way to get new astromechs, I don't really like paying full price for them unless they have an awesome new gimmick or some other real value-compensator, and I'm not a completist for the little gobs of grease.

jediguy
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I totally love this concept, and I hope that Hasbro sticks with this for a long time to come

if anyone gets stuck with some extra droid parts they don't want or need, please let me know and maybe we can work something out to our mutual satisfaction

I have almost every droid ever made on my Tatooine planet diorama
I loved the jawas selling the droids so much, I decided that my jawas should be selling every droid ever made
so I have almost every variation of ever droid lined up and just waiting for some other action figure to buy him (or her) from the jawas and give them a new hope (I mean home)
there are a few droids that didn't make it to the sale, because I don't have duplicates of them all
like the EE sets, I have only one of each of those

ah, to dream of having duplicates of every figure ever made

aim high, so I have been told

ncbarrett
08-05-2008, 07:20 AM
...I got a second piece for R4-D6, so I have both legs. Damned scuba trooper. Haven't seen a one.

not sure what you mean by this statement. The scuba trooper doesn't have any R4-D6 pieces.

I totally love this concept, and I hope that Hasbro sticks with this for a long time to come

if anyone gets stuck with some extra droid parts they don't want or need, please let me know and maybe we can work something out to our mutual satisfaction

I agree. The droid parts is a great idea. It adds another element to collecting.

I do have the head/third leg of R7-Z0 from Darth Vader that I will probably not use, since I don't want the other figures that have its parts.
Let me know if you want/need the pieces.

Phantom-like Menace
08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
not sure what you mean by this statement. The scuba trooper doesn't have any R4-D6 pieces.

It's not too big a mystery. Clearly I meant R4-J1.

Snowtrooper
08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I wish I had my collection stored in that orderly of a fashion. The only order I have is that each of the particular lines are generally together. Other than that, its a real mish mosh.

Phantom-like Menace
08-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Okay, let's see if I can get this all uploaded.

With a duplicate of R5-D4 for Porkins's astromech, excluding any astromech based on the body of the '90s Thermonuclear R5-D4, and with no duplicates of any individual droid (I.e. there is only one R2-D2, one R2-B1, etc.), I'm only missing R4-J1 and R7-Z0. Thirty-six total, and I'd be more than happy if Hasbro keeps them coming.

ncbarrett
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Any idea what parts come with the waves 3&4?

In particular droids mb-ra-7 and 5d6-ra-7
I don't necessarily want all the figures in those waves.

jediguy
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
you can find a nice list at

http://www.imperialholocron.com/

on the right side under checklist, click on '2008 checklist' to find the most up to date what figure has what piece list, and current predicted release dates as well

DarkArtist
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
finally found the ewok and wokling 2 pack so now i have all the droids assembled and ready to add them to my astromech droid army. can't wait for the rest of the waves now to hit the stores so i can build up my protocol droid army

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I've noticed that I don't really like R7-Z0's body deco, I liked this figure a lot more when it had R4-J1's similarly-colored body. The thing is, that R4 body has this very interesting paint wash which seems to bring out every panel line and gives it a sense of "realism"; while the R7 body is ultra-clean white plastic with no weathering and very few panels painted in, especially bad since the R7 body has unusual panels compared to all the others.

I'd like to see R4-J1's deco wash applied to EVERY white-bodied droid body.

Neuroleptic
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, this morning, I went into work, and found out they didn't need me because I mis read the scedual for this week. So I had to go home. This wouldn't be a problem for most people, but for me, I live 40 miles out in the country. So I HAVE to have a reason for going into town.

So naturaly, I found myself wandering through the star wars toy section at Wal Mart. They FINALY put out there palets of figures, after I stopped and asked an associate in the toy department if they were ever going to get in the new figures. When he said he didn't know what I was talking about, I explained to him about the 7-26 release date for the clone wars toys. He looked at me with a blank stare, then said, "Oooooh. So THAT'S what those displays are for.

So I got first dibs on figures half a month after they freaking came out. Naturaly, I already have most of what I want.

But I looked anyway and I got to thinking.

I didn't have commander Gree, so I bought him to go with my lone cammo scout. The battle damaged Darth Vader was a cool varient, even if his damaged foot is biger than his undamaged one (perhaps robotic limbs swell when damaged?) so I bought him. Then I saw an EVO trooper and got to thinking about how he comes with the droid body for the purple R4 unit.

And how Wal Mart's figures are about 7.00 instead of 8.00 at Target (where I usualy buy my figures)

And how the other two figures had other parts to that very same R4 unit.

. . . and how my sand storm Luke back home came with that leg . . .

I caved.

I WAS WEAK!

Neuroleptic
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
. . . but I do so love my new droid.

cookiemonster
08-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Looking to purchase these parts if anyone has them for a fair price.

R4-D6 - Middle Leg/Dome and Both Legs

R7-Z0 - Middle Leg/Dome