PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - August 1st

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Comic-Con scheduling delays are over, and now it's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for August 1st, 2008! Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of August 1st

SSG: In the latest trailer of Clone Wars animation, there is a sighting of Jabba's Sail Barge. Assuming the upcoming AT-TE and Millennium Falcon sell well, what would the chances be of getting a Sail Barge toy with its appearance in both the cartoon and being a key action segment of the first half of Return of the Jedi? I mean, it could help sell Clone Wars figures and OT figures, in ROTJ alone nearly every major hero is battling on it or right next to it, and it features one of the most well-known Star Wars characters ever, Jabba the Hutt, so you have tons of character recognition and interaction, plus animation support, and those battle elements (cannons, flying Fett, explosions) lend it some "aggressive" action. Any of that help its chances, help clear the filters that have been holding it back so far which you mentioned when asked about this piece before?
Hasbro: Well, it helps. You make a good case, but the vehicle still has some significant risk vs. other choices we could make. It simply is not as iconic, prevalent in the entertainment, and as cool as the Millennium Falcon (for example). We will keep watching it and see where it appears and what support it gets. If the big vehicle program this year proves a success, and if it has significant entertainment play, then we will take a hard look at it.

SSG: Why is it that the Y-wing mold was altered for a dedicated astromech droid dome, making it impossible to insert a droid figure? Might the Y-wing mold ever be remolded to once again accept droid figures into a droid slot?
Hasbro: This was changed when the bomb-dropping mechanism was added. It is certainly possible that a future edition of the Y-Wing could have the droid slot restored, but this would necessitate a substantial rework of the tooling to do so, and we would need to evaluate the cost.
[Editor's note: the bomb-dropping feature was on the original Kenner ROTJ version, so we will ask for clarification on this. -JT]

SSG: How far do you plan on taking the animated-style Clone Wars line? Will it continue indefinitely with a new stream of figures through the run of the show, or will it be more limited and spread out like the previous 2004-2005 line of animated figures?
Hasbro: The Animated Clone Wars series is a massive undertaking on the part of Lucasfilm and their broadcast partners around the world, and will be the way in which a new generation of young fans will experience Star Wars for the first time. Since kids want to play Star Wars like they see it on the screen, our plans are no less ambitious and we will be continuing with new figures, vehicles, role play, and more as the series unfolds.

On a side note, be sure to check out our Comic-Con one-on-one Q&A with Hasbro (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=48&p2_articleid=1579), with 8 new answers and more discussion on the Sail Barge. -JT

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=1916):

Many collectors are noticing that the Indiana Jones line of figures seems to be sitting around at stores and not moving as well as hoped. A glut of product seems to be preventing new figures from coming in, and many fans are worried that the line may be cut short as a result, despite the fact that you've announced that you have plans for 2009. Also, with late July came the return of Star Wars which limits the peg space available for the Indy line. Are the results of how this line is selling having an affect on its future?
Given the focus on Rebel pilots and droids lately, would you consider hitting two birds with one stone and releasing two-packs of Rebel pilots with their corresponding astromech droids? This would be a good way to sell otherwise similar-looking pilots and get their droids at the same time, and also would be a good opportunity to finally update that underwhelming Red Leader figure and his cardboard droid from the 2003 X-wing.
A few times in Q&A's history, you've suggested collectors submit their local stores' pegwarming data to you so Hasbro store reps can get these problems fixed. Some of the stores did show signs of improvement in this department, but others still suffered old TSC pegwarmers (Moff Jerjerrod is pretty consistent) and showed absolutely no signs of moving for nearly two years (until they were clearanced before the Clone Wars/Legacy Collection SKU reset), and the reports on these were coming in from all over the country. What, if anything, was done on your part to fix the problem, and what will be done in the future? When these issues arise again (as they likely will, since they often have), will we just have to wait several years until pegwarmers go on clearance when the line resets again (which doesn't always happen)? If nothing else, having several Hasbro Star Wars pegs filled up with very old product is going to hamper sales of newer product, hurting your business and hindering collectors' ability to get new figures, right?

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
They're Y-Wing answer doesn't make much sense and sounds to me like Hasbro is just blowing smoke up.

The vintage Y-Wing droid slot was designed to fit the vintage R2-D2 figure, which was smaller than astromech droids should be at this scale. So, when Hasbro started producing correctly scaled astromechs, they no longer fit in that hole. Which is why the Hasbro rep says that it will require significant retooling. The only real solution would be to fatten up that area of the vehicle or just make an all-new, larger mold.

They kind of straddled the fence on the Sail Barge, but I think Hasbro has learned what happens when they give "not on my watch" type of answers.lol Basically they said, "Go buy up all the AT-TEs and Falcons and then we'll talk."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
The answer for the pegwarmers one was BS, since we sent them specific store data that showed consistent pegwarmers.

I'm a little weary about their IJ answer, but as long as I get my Short Round, then I'll be happy. :D

Good to know that they had thought about the rebels/droids packs. See, JT, it WAS a good idea. :p

JediTricks
08-02-2008, 12:00 AM
There's not that much difference in size between the vintage and modern R2 figures, I believe. I don't think they've even tried. We have a guy on the forums who found out the port is still there, they just covered over it with the droid facade, so now I guess we have to do the legwork. There IS enough room for the slot to accommodate a modern droid though, I measured the outside.

Their answer about store data is we didn't send them enough listings, those 40 or so were a drop in the bucket.

It wasn't a good idea, just an idea they also had. Or are you saying all of Hasbro's ideas are good? ;)

bigbarada
08-02-2008, 12:30 AM
I guess all we need is someone with a vintage Y-Wing to take some photos with assorted modern astromechs inside to prove that they can fit. I had a vintage Y-Wing (until I sold it to my brother then he went off to Army training and left it in storage halfway across the country) and I distinctly remember the hole looking way too small for a modern Artoo figure. But I don't think I ever actually tried to cram my VOTC Artoo figure in there.

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm the guy!

. . . and I'm still trying to figure out what the best way to drill a hole would be.

Actualy, it's not the hole that bothers me. It's trying to cut even spaces for the feet/legs to fit through that I'm not sure how to do.

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I try to avoid double posting, but I'll also say that I think the newest droids that would fit in the slot as is if you just cut off the biult in droid would be ones from around 2002-2004 or so. Like the AOTC R3 preview droid or R2 with the drink tray from Jaba's palace. And even then, you'd honestly have to push really hard to make it work.

What I'm thinking is carving some wood with the same dementions I cut into the top of the Y-wing to fit the modern droids. I'm going to use a whole saw to cut the circumfrance I need to fit the body of a modern R2. All I need is to find a way to cut the small rectangle shapes for the feet. And THAT, i'm not sure on.

bigbarada
08-02-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm the guy!

. . . and I'm still trying to figure out what the best way to drill a hole would be.

Actualy, it's not the hole that bothers me. It's trying to cut even spaces for the feet/legs to fit through that I'm not sure how to do.

I think that might have been the problem, the feet on the modern droids are just too large to fit in the hole. I think the diameter of the cylinder was large enough, but you might have to pull off the droids feet.

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I realy don't think the Y-wing would fit the new standard astro droid body in it. At least, not when I tested mine. But I can only test it with about half the body since the upper half of the port is on top (also underneat the permanently attached head). It was a tight fit with my R4 droid from the POTJ line and he is somewhat slimmer than the new figures.

I don't think the feet have to be cut all that much wider for it to work with the new figures either. Just a touch in both directions, since the feet on new figures rock back and forth.

So, if anyone knows what type of saw cuts uneven plastic easily, let me know!

Tycho
08-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm loving it how as a group, we collectors want to push for a Jabba's Sailbarge large vehicle. There are so many of us who like this idea. I'm optimistic that it could happen.

That would be a greater triumph than Yarna or the Ice Cream Maker Guy.

A vehicle at that price point is a huge investment for Hasbro. But looking at the Black Pearl, I know it's totally feasible. And with its appearance in Clone Wars, there has never been a better time!

Banthaholic
08-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm loving it how as a group, we collectors want to push for a Jabba's Sailbarge large vehicle. There are so many of us who like this idea. I'm optimistic that it could happen.

That would be a greater triumph than Yarna or the Ice Cream Maker Guy.

A vehicle at that price point is a huge investment for Hasbro. But looking at the Black Pearl, I know it's totally feasible. And with its appearance in Clone Wars, there has never been a better time!

I think the important 1st step was taken in that we know have a dialogue with Hasbro on the Sailbarge. The next steps are simple, support the current large vehicles and keep pestering Hasbro on the Sailbarge.

The more interest the collecting community at large shows, the better odds we have. Let's show them that this IS an Iconic ship. For those that post elsewhere, make sure there Q & A's get a sailbarge question in. As for SSG, let's make it a point to keep bringing the sailbarge quesiton up every few months so they know there IS interest in it.

I'd be fine with a sectioned Sailbarge playset, or the full beast in whatever scale (titanium excluded:) ) Hasbro says they want action ships in the line, and this ship had thee most play action capability of any ship in the 6 movies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
According to The Jawa's Q&A, a new Malakili is coming next year. Oh joy. :rolleyes:

obi-dad
08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
And, according to Raving Toy Maniac: "We still have plans for a new EpVI Jabba, and there's a chance that he will come out in late 2009."

Perhaps they could do an Ultimate Battle Pack right and do a new Jabba, dias, barbaque spit (whatever that thing is) and a reclining Leia and then let them throw in a few old wasted figures. I could put up with any cr@p they decided to throw in, if they did the first part.

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
You know, I'd just be happy with Jaba, the dias, the Kowakian Monkey Lizard guy, and Leia. That's all I'd freaking need to be happy with that. I'd buy that even though I don't have ANYTHING other than Boba Fett from Jaba's palace.

obi-dad
08-02-2008, 09:04 PM
You know, I'd just be happy with Jaba, the dias, the Kowakian Monkey Lizard guy, and Leia. That's all I'd freaking need to be happy with that. I'd buy that even though I don't have ANYTHING other than Boba Fett from Jaba's palace.

Believe me, that's all it would take for me too. I'd even be happy if the slave Leia was basically a statue in the reclining position (otherwise, her joints would be quite ugly and I don't think Hasbro could make her in the reclining pose and make enough joints to let her stand naturally too. But, I've always wanted that roasting spit thing behind Jabba too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
As seen in the front page's roundup:

SWcollector.com: Any idea on how soon we might see AOTC/ROTS-accurate figures of Owen Lars and Beru Whitesun Lars?
Hasbro: We hope you won't have to wait too long, if our schedules hold.

Sounds great!

obi-dad
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
But, how long is too long? When did AOTC come out again? I would say we waited too long already. We received a LOT of 2009 confirmations with the August 1st Q&A's and Hasbro couldn't even pinpoint a year, but "if our schedule holds"??? :upset:

El Chuxter
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Funny they didn't include Cliegg in that question....

Jargo
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Jabba and dias and charcoal spit aparatus. re-use the most recent back rest on the dias but add the control panel for the rancor pit and so on.
Salacious posed to sit on the edge of the dias with one foot on the gargoyle head, reclining leia with limited articulation such as neck and arms (or swappable hip and legs pieces)
couple of tasty amphibian Jabba snacks as accessories and that would do me.

bigbarada
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
But, how long is too long? When did AOTC come out again? I would say we waited too long already. We received a LOT of 2009 confirmations with the August 1st Q&A's and Hasbro couldn't even pinpoint a year, but "if our schedule holds"??? :upset:

We had to wait 14 years for a Darth Vader with a removable helmet action figure. 21 years for a Luke in Bacta Tank. 20 years for a Sandtrooper. 32 years for Wioslea, and on and on.

Waiting 6 years for AOTC versions of Owen and Beru in nothing, you're just getting started.:p

obi-dad
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
We had to wait 14 years for a Darth Vader with a removable helmet action figure. 21 years for a Luke in Bacta Tank. 20 years for a Sandtrooper. 32 years for Wioslea, and on and on.

Waiting 6 years for AOTC versions of Owen and Beru in nothing, you're just getting started.:p

Well, here's where it get's jumbled in my mind. That Vader was probably at least the 20th different version (same for Bacta Luke). I wasn't waiting for Wioslea, though I will buy her. But, I was waiting for Yarna... weird, both ugly background characters with less than one minute of screentime, but I really could have done without Wioslea... maybe I just always thought that costume/mask looked really cheap and unbelievable. Anway, although they really aren't main characters, I put Cleig, Owen & Beru in that category in my head since they are part of the Skywalker famiily (kinda) and with all the clones and other b.s. figures they made, I can't believe they haven't made the family. (if you can't tell, I am totally burnt out on clones, to the point that I have no desire to see the Clone Wars movie, but probably will). [end rant] I really didn't remember Hasbro didn't make a Sandtrooper until '97. I must be getting old. Guess I'll have to look at my collection again.

bigbarada
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, here's where it get's jumbled in my mind. That Vader was probably at least the 20th different version (same for Bacta Luke). I wasn't waiting for Wioslea, though I will buy her. But, I was waiting for Yarna... weird, both ugly background characters with less than one minute of screentime, but I really could have done without Wioslea... maybe I just always thought that costume/mask looked really cheap and unbelievable. Anway, although they really aren't main characters, I put Cleig, Owen & Beru in that category in my head since they are part of the Skywalker famiily (kinda) and with all the clones and other b.s. figures they made, I can't believe they haven't made the family. (if you can't tell, I am totally burnt out on clones, to the point that I have no desire to see the Clone Wars movie, but probably will). [end rant] I really didn't remember Hasbro didn't make a Sandtrooper until '97. I must be getting old. Guess I'll have to look at my collection again.

The 1998 removable helmet Vader was actually only the 4th Vader from the modern line, the 5th Darth Vader figure if you count Kenner's vintage line. At that point, we had only seen the vintage figure, the 1995 POTF2 figure, the 1996 Shadows of the Empire retooling of the POTF2 figure, and the 1996 Power FX electronic figure.

There wasn't a single new Darth Vader figure released in 1997 (just a rerelease of the POTF2/SOTE sculpt). 1998 gave us 4 Darth Vader figures: removable helmet, Complete Galaxy (the very first Darth Vader figure with a cloth cape), Final Duel Cinema Scene, and the Gunner Station Vader.

2 Vaders in 1999, only 1 in 2000 (which was actually a Luke figure), and only 1 in 2001.

They didn't really start churning out Darth Vader figures at a ridiculous pace until about 2002 or 2003.

obi-dad
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
The 1998 removable helmet Vader was actually only the 4th Vader from the modern line, the 5th Darth Vader figure if you count Kenner's vintage line. At that point, we had only seen the vintage figure, the 1995 POTF2 figure, the 1996 Shadows of the Empire retooling of the POTF2 figure, and the 1996 Power FX electronic figure.

There wasn't a single new Darth Vader figure released in 1997 (just a rerelease of the POTF2/SOTE sculpt). 1998 gave us 4 Darth Vader figures: removable helmet, Complete Galaxy (the very first Darth Vader figure with a cloth cape), Final Duel Cinema Scene, and the Gunner Station Vader.

2 Vaders in 1999, only 1 in 2000 (which was actually a Luke figure), and only 1 in 2001.

They didn't really start churning out Darth Vader figures at a ridiculous pace until about 2002 or 2003.

Well, there's the proof... my memory is shot, not that I thought Hasbro was churning Vader out then like they are now, but this really is a surprise to me (that it was so low). I didn't collect in the vintage days, but started when SW started up again with POTF2 in 1995.