PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with this 2-piece/3-piece Vader removable helmet?

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I dunno what the deal is here. The one I picked up seems to be in 3 pieces, with the helmet, mask, and then the collar which is a separate piece from the head but the head doesn't come off to release it. Is there truly a different version, or are we just talking about some glue here?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I dunno what the deal is here. The one I picked up seems to be in 3 pieces, with the helmet, mask, and then the collar which is a separate piece from the head but the head doesn't come off to release it. Is there truly a different version, or are we just talking about some glue here?
I think that is the way it is supposed to be. Just like in the movie, Luke takes off the dome and then pulls back the mask. The thing in front of his mouth stays there.

Neuroleptic
08-01-2008, 11:28 PM
If you watch Return of the Jedi AND Reveng of the Sith, when they take off (and put on) his helmet, the lower half of the helmet is wrapped around his neck and covers most of the lower third of his face. So when it comes off, it's the helmet, then the face plate, leaving what I call the 'jaw plate' behind. His head moves independently, but that bottom part dosen't come off, and I don't think the rest of his head is sculpted anyway.

It's a new head from the one that came out earlier this year (30th aniversary with obiwan's cape). Other differences are the hands (I think they are the same as the ones that come with the 500th figure that has the chair, now that I think about it . . .) his cloth robe comes up through the belt and under the chest armor instead of being sculpted to the chest, and the cape has one of those annoying silver bands to represent the chain. I'm seriously thinking about cutting that damned thing off, except that youd probably be able to tell if I did.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I understand that there's a "collar" which is the lower half of the mask that stays on the head, I just don't understand how there's a version of the figure that's a "2-piece" and another that's a "3-piece". I have the figure, I just can't tell how mine would be a 2-piece or a 3-piece, it seems to be 3 pieces but the 3rd piece is separate but not removable, is that the 2-piece variant or is there a different 2-piece version that behaves differently from mine?

The biggest difference on the head IMO is the lack of eyebrows. :p

Yeah, if you cut the silver "chain" off, the silver ends will poke out of the cape and you won't like how it looks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2008, 12:28 AM
It's one figure with different levels of production quality from figure to figure. I got a Legends SBD with a loose leg joint, but that's just bad luck, not a real variant.

The head on this one is slightly smaller than the Evolutions one, but it's still Sebastian Shaw, not Hayden Christensen, so it's not the same as the TAC head. The body, including hands and everything, is the same as the Evolutions mold, but with slightly different paint. On mine, though, the soft goods are better so they're not as cumbersome as they were on the Evolutions one.