PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Droid Factory

PAA_707
08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
How many of you have the whole set of 6? Last weekend on a whim I decided to buy 5, except I had to go out of town to find the Luke & R2D2. At the time I was thinking I should have waited on them, but I sure am glad I didn't. I was there yesterday and was debating on grabbing the last one to my set, Watto. There was at least 7 more Watto's.

All of a sudden I go back today to make a return and the whole row was cleared, I mean cleared out. Except for 1 Han Solo. I just had to express how happy I am I made the right choice, haha. I normally miss out for stupid reasons.

I wonder if they packed them up or something, but then again they left 1 Han on the rack. I just find it hard to believe they sat around for a few months, then since last night to this morning they all sold out. I thought it was weird.

Ando
08-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I bought all 6 sets. I bought the first one (Han Solo) online (it was the only one available online). I had to go on vacation in Bend, OR (3-4 hours from Portland) to find the other 5 sets.

Apparently the Wal Marts in Portland on 82 absolutely SUCK for exclusives and the people who run the toy departments are rumored to despise collectors.

Are there any Portlanders who can confirm this?

Neuroleptic
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Because I was only interested in the droids, I was only able to justify buying one pack. The only one that I had some interest in both figures. So I got R2-D2 and Luke. I may put the limbt they come with on E-bay for 1.99 since I don't really care about C-3PX.

. . . He's probably the first droid to ever come out that I couldn't care less about.

Well, him and the black droid that comes with Vader in the set.

Ando
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I actually really liked all of the droids. I was a little ho hum about the R2-D2 just because I have so many at this point. There sorta like Vader that way.

Neuroleptic
08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. Aside for C-3PX, I really wanted almost all of the droids. At some point, I'll probably get them on E-bay. But paying 10 bucks for a set that I only want one figure that has no accessories just sounded a bit much.

I especialy liked the R2 unit that comes with Watto, and almost regret not getting him. But if I wait a few months, I'll be able to find him on E-bay for next to nothing.

I'm happy with R2, since it's an interesting variant, and I only have one other version of him, and I have never had a luke in X-wing flight sute figure. Figured since the only rebbels I normaly buy now adays are droids and pilots, it was time to get him.

Ando
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I was really happy with the 3 astromechs that came with Watto, Plo Koon (plus I didn't have a Plo Koon), and Kit Fisto.

DarkJedi5
08-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I nabbed all 6 sets in one go about two months ago. I had a hard time finding a WM that had them and had to have a clerk get up on a ladder to get them down for me. I like the whole set, some of the droids were assembled so that the middle tread is on backwards and doesn't sit quite right on the ground, but they look pretty good on the whole.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2008, 02:13 AM
I've never seen these in the store, but recently ordered them from Walmart.com. They had all but the Han Solo set, so I just ordered the other five. I checked again yesterday and they had Han Solo and a couple of Legacy Wave 2 figures I didn't have yet, so I was able to order them all. They are being shipped to the store, so hopefully I'll have them all by then end of next week.

sebillba
08-11-2008, 05:59 AM
I bought the whole set from ebay just over two weeks ago... they've only got to come from Florida, which should have good postal connections to the UK, but I'm still waiting.... :(

PAA_707
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah I was thinking about buying doubles of the Luke one. Because it comes with R2-D2 too, and I don't have either opened up yet. So 2 for $10 not bad. I found a new stock load in the Wal-Mart a lil bit outta town, so there's quite a few now. Then again about 3 boxes that were sittin there for 2 months sold out in a few days, so who knows.

I like the Watto as well, because I haven't really seen another Watto anywhere. Now that I think about it though I could probalby find the whole set on Ebay for a coo price and not stress about the boxes. Because I already got my display set, so I ain't trippin on the boxes for these.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I bought the Order 66 sets from Target a while back, when they were on sale at $4.98; I felt that was a great deal. I've seen the Droid sets at WM, but at the still-$9.96 each price, that means $60. I could handle $30. So, I'm just saying 'no.' :nancyreagan:

Lazer Brain
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
OK, I got the sets and the one with luke and r2, WHAT is th edeal with pictures of 'grinning' Luke???? I see the post on rebel scum all the time of the smiling luke , where did that come from? it was to be with the droid factory, but i have not seen one happy luke yet, was it a prototype? anyone know.
thanks

jjreason
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I bought them and only kept 3 figures from the entire set: Han, the grey Death Star droid and the blue & white astro droid. I thought the rest were terrible - especially the grey & purple astro that looked like my kids had painted it. I was really excited about getting battle damaged R2 but they left off the dark paint on the blast points, ruining the figure in my eyes.

The redeeming figure here is Hoth Han - he's a GREAT remake of the vintage version (blue coat, hood up, no goggles).

DarkJedi5
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
OK, I got the sets and the one with luke and r2, WHAT is th edeal with pictures of 'grinning' Luke???? I see the post on rebel scum all the time of the smiling luke , where did that come from? it was to be with the droid factory, but i have not seen one happy luke yet, was it a prototype? anyone know.
thanks

I heard that it was indeed the mock-up and they even showed it at Toy Fair and then Lucasfilm didn't like it (kinda the same story with the vintage Han Hoth hood-up thing) so they just swapped it for the VOTC Luke head. It's too bad it would have made for an even better figure.

Neuroleptic
08-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Personaly, I'm happy that they didn't make him smiling joker luke. I thought it looked rediculous. But then, if I already had the X-wing luke, I'd probably want something to be different about him too.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Smiling would have fit the scene as he got out of the X-Wing, but wouldn't have fit his reaction to seeing the blown up R2.

Lazer Brain
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
cool thanks, i glad its not some , gand variation that i would have to hunt down.
later

DarkArtist
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I picked up all 6 in one shot in Williamsburg VA while on vacation with the family. have yet to see them in any of the Walmarts in Jersey around me. have checked Old Bridge, Freehold, Woodbridge, and North Brunswick.

i have to say i really love the build a droid series and really hope that Hasbro continues this trend for awhile.

PAA_707
08-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I bought them and only kept 3 figures from the entire set: Han, the grey Death Star droid and the blue & white astro droid. I thought the rest were terrible - especially the grey & purple astro that looked like my kids had painted it. I was really excited about getting battle damaged R2 but they left off the dark paint on the blast points, ruining the figure in my eyes.

The redeeming figure here is Hoth Han - he's a GREAT remake of the vintage version (blue coat, hood up, no goggles).

Han has goggles, they're at the bottom of the box.

Old Fossil
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
The coloring on R-3PO seems off. I like the older Saga R-3PO better. Seems to have more correct coloration, and nicer detailing.

I passed on all these sets.:D

cookiemonster
08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I got two of the sets and managed to build the C-3PX as well, thanks to some kind people else where on anotheR Site, for free.

The 2 sets I got was K-3PX and Crap Vader, and Han Solo and R-3PO, didnt want the rest.

TooWanBee
08-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I still haven't seen any of these sets at any of the WM in the Dallas area. What is the deal? DO I have to talk them into special ordering them before they disappear for good? It seems every time I explain what I'm looking for to the people that work there, it appears that they are listening to me as I describe it all in great detail. Then they just look at me, jaw loose/eyes half shut/shoulders drooping and say, "Huh?"

Then I'm like, Ahhhh forget it.

It's very frustrating. Sorry for the venting but can anyone offer any sane advice on how to obtain these?

I am going to a store that suspects a shipment in tonight in about 30 minutes.

Wish me good luck.

"Huh?"

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I still haven't seen any of these sets at any of the WM in the Dallas area. What is the deal? DO I have to talk them into special ordering them before they disappear for good? It seems every time I explain what I'm looking for to the people that work there, it appears that they are listening to me as I describe it all in great detail. Then they just look at me, jaw loose/eyes half shut/shoulders drooping and say, "Huh?"

It's very frustrating. Sorry for the venting but can anyone offer any sane advice on how to obtain these?

Wish me good luck.

"Huh?"All six are available at the moment on Wal-Mart's website. They are $9.96 and you can use the site-to-store feature and get them without paying any shipping. That is how I got mine. They only had five available when I first ordered, and I have picked them up. I'll be picking up the sixth one tomorrow along with a couple other figures I ordered.

Neuroleptic
08-25-2008, 12:20 AM

Wish me good luck.

"Huh?"

Ha! That sounds about how the Wal Mart employees in the toy department reacted here when I asked them about the new figures for 7/26. While other Wal Marts put theres out early, mine put them out two weeks LATE!

TooWanBee
08-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Ok, here's how my trip went.

I drove to the neighboring city to the Wal-Mart that told me to come back at 11:30pm. I got there and a very helpful young man was there. He told me they received these two months ago. A ton of them but they were not selling well. In an effort to move the product, they priced them at $3 a pop and moved them to the clearance section of the store. He walked me over to the section and there was only 1 left (5 of 6 Watto). It was in decent shape except for the Wal-Mart exclusive sticker is slightly peeled up. But it was the only one.

I drove back to my town's Wal-Mart to check the clearance section. Nothing. I found a computer terminal and punched in the UPC number on the one I bought before and the display stated Item Not Found. This verified that they never had them.

What a bummer. I'll have to try that Web-to-store feature and see what happens.

Cheers,
Jerry

Man, Wal-Mart has gone way down hill since Sam Walton was alive.

Bosskman
08-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I got mine off eBay. The only figures from the set I got rid of were Vader and Plo Koon.

cookiemonster
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Actually all I did was walk into the Wal*Mart near us and pick them of the shelf, however I did order the Han and R-3PO off the website itself, and this was before they even hit.

TooWanBee
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Ordered all 6 online-to-store. Now that I know you can do that. I guess I'll keep this other one as an extra. Though it would be nice to have an assembled C-3PX on a card. I've seen loose ones on ebay.