PDA

View Full Version : Was Mace Crucified?

INDIANA
02-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Just took a good look at the packaged Deluxe Mace. Should I assume his left palm has a magnet? While I initially thought the idea had some merit, I was hoping/praying Hasbro would do a better job "hiding" them in the figures hands.

Guess I was wrong...

Beast
02-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Yes, his left hand has a magnet, but Hasbro has done a great job hiding them. They are painted to match the figure's skin color and blend right in. You can see the magnet in the Deluxe Mace's hand in this picture. You can also see the force missle firing hole hidden in the figure's sleeve. It actually looks pretty good how they made it look like his inner clothes. Hides the firing feature pretty well. Plus it looks like both arms are ball jointed, which is even a bigger plus. This picture is from Rebelscum's toy fair coverage. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Hidden? Obi looks like he has a flipping great pustule on the whole of his hand and the firing mechanism on Mace is massive and not hidden at all. (Oh if the censorship here wasn't so heavy I'd have a few choice words for you Binks :mad: ). The point is that the gimmicks aren't that well hidden and ruin the rest of the figure. To get a magnet in they make the hand big and fat or the sleeves massive. The hands on the figures aren't that good anyway normally. Like EP1 Palpatine with his tiny hands and then the AOTC Palpatine with his massive snow shovel hands. What gives with the hands Hasbro? yeah, you may have gone to a lot of trouble with the heads and costumes but the hands and feet still suck. Two steps forward three steps back. :mad: :frus:

Beast
02-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
Hidden? Obi looks like he has a flipping great pustule on the whole of his hand and the firing mechanism on Mace is massive and not hidden at all. (Oh if the censorship here wasn't so heavy I'd have a few choice words for you Binks :mad: ). The point is that the gimmicks aren't that well hidden and ruin the rest of the figure. To get a magnet in they make the hand big and fat or the sleeves massive. The hands on the figures aren't that good anyway normally. Like EP1 Palpatine with his tiny hands and then the AOTC Palpatine with his massive snow shovel hands. What gives with the hands Hasbro? yeah, you may have gone to a lot of trouble with the heads and costumes but the hands and feet still suck. Two steps forward three steps back. :mad: :frus:
I suggest you wait til you see the figures in person before being so critical of them. And quit with the flaming posts about me and my posts ok, it's pretty damn juvinille. I have already reported you for harassment and if it keeps up you'll end up banned. The gimmicks look fine, so what if he has a small magnet peg in his hand. You don't like it, don't buy the damn figure. The gimmicks are pretty well hidden, IMHO. You just appear to be one of those people that judge things before you have them in your own hands. For one, the size of Palpatine's hands hasn't changed at all. He just has his hand open and his fingers spread. You can't judge size on a photograph on-line. Those pictures are close-ups remember. The hands and feet are fine, but if you don't like the stuff...Don't Buy It. :( :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Are you for real? What is your problem? I was just passing comment and you throw a big girly hissy fit! grow up please little boy and then come back and talk some sense. Are you the only one allowed an opinion here? Is this your personal sounding board? I don't think so and I for one am getting pretty sick and tired of listening to your endless tirade of "happy! happy! figures are all lovely and anyone who disagrees can go to hell in a hand basket" attitude. Report me all you like little boy. My opinion isn't any less valid than yours. You take offence at me saying that I wish I could say what I feel like saying? How absurd. I could have typed any number of strong words and opinions but I didn't and I was just expressing my lament at that. If this was the real world I'd have given you a verbal pasting, but for the sake of others reading I didn't. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen baby. And what is wrong with me expressing my opinion that you talk too much? Get some perspective on this whole thing. Star wars is a hobby not a lifestyle. You're quite obviously confusing the two.

I suppose you'll report this too. That'd be about the level of it to try to stamp out what doesn't fit your little world. No I'm not happy with the way things are looking and it is possible to do scaling comparisons from online pics. I've done it many times and been accurate. You seem to delight in belittling people and their thoughts Binks. Petty mindedness isn't an attractive trait to own. :zzz:

LTBasker
02-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Ok, Dubious, for one, you started it, and two, YOU SHOULDN'T OF. JJB is free to comment just as you feel you're free to comment.

I'm not too happy about the magnets, I too was hoping they'd be imbedded in the figure's hand, but hopefully they'll lose the gimmick after awhile and switch backing to normal holding. On the other figure details, well dude, basically all the loose AOTC/Classic toys without packaged counterparts there are in prototype form, so they can get better.

Beast
02-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
Are you for real? What is your problem? I was just passing comment and you throw a big girly hissy fit! grow up please little boy and then come back and talk some sense. Are you the only one allowed an opinion here? Is this your personal sounding board? I don't think so and I for one am getting pretty sick and tired of listening to your endless tirade of "happy! happy! figures are all lovely and anyone who disagrees can go to hell in a hand basket" attitude. Report me all you like little boy. My opinion isn't any less valid than yours. You take offence at me saying that I wish I could say what I feel like saying? How absurd. I could have typed any number of strong words and opinions but I didn't and I was just expressing my lament at that. If this was the real world I'd have given you a verbal pasting, but for the sake of others reading I didn't. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen baby. And what is wrong with me expressing my opinion that you talk too much? Get some perspective on this whole thing. Star wars is a hobby not a lifestyle. You're quite obviously confusing the two.

I suppose you'll report this too. That'd be about the level of it to try to stamp out what doesn't fit your little world. No I'm not happy with the way things are looking and it is possible to do scaling comparisons from online pics. I've done it many times and been accurate. You seem to delight in belittling people and their thoughts Binks. Petty mindedness isn't an attractive trait to own. :zzz:

Nope, I am not the only one allowed an opinion. But unlike yourself, I am not flaming people for their opinion. I guess that it's only your own opinion that should be recognized as correct. Remember this little saying: "Opinions are like asses, everyone has one, and everyone thinks their's doesn't stink." Perhaps you should check your other flame threads, including the one that you edited earlier.

Your opinions are fine here, your flaming and harassment posts are not. You don't make your argument sound very mature when you attach it along side rude posts such as this and others. Like I said, I respect and like to read others opinions, but If I can help people in some way, such as pointing out somthing about the figures they may not have noticed, I am going to do so. I have gotten numerous praising posts for helping people, and posting pics when someone had a question. So cut out the flames, it takes away from my time trying to help people having to respond to them.

Now if you don't mind from now on, stick to stating your opinion, not attacking someone for theirs. I also suggest you look at a less close up version of the Palpatine figure again. And you will notice that the hands are in preportian to normal human hands if held in that manner. That's just a suggestion BTW, not a flaming demand. :happy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

INDIANA
02-16-2002, 05:52 PM
...did you ever start a thread and then wish you were never born...

mabudonicus
02-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Indeed, I must agree with Jar Jar Binks and LT Basker on the fact that dart dubious shouldn't have "started" anything. This thread is not about how "stupid" other people are for thinking what they think. Strangely enough, this thread makes me wonder just what the word "community" means in terms of these forums. Emperor Jargo signed off today (if the post is to be believed) and even though I don't know the guy "personally", I will miss him. I have said this before in other threads(sorry to all who're getting a repeat) but we should all appreciate and respect each other. Jar Jar Binks puts a lot of sweat into his contributions to this site (read:this community) and is(at LEAST) entitled to his own opinions without having to be personally attacked (and if you don't agree, then explain that "girly hissy fit" comment without insulting anyone's intelligence). C'mon, if everybody here is some kind of geeky idiot that is just begging to be "called on", then why even log in?? I thought that we were all friends............? Thanks Jar Jar, No thanks dd

Beast
02-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
...did you ever start a thread and then wish you were never born...
*Pats Indiana on the back* It's ok man, it's not your fault. I hope the picture I attached helps though. You can see the magnet is the same skin tone as mace, and the missle shooter is hidden in the empty space between his inner clothing and outer half cloak. Where the area would have been empty anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
02-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Its okay Indiana.

Anyways getting back to topic.It doesnt look all to bad,I
thought the magent would be much bigger than it actually is.
Plus,when you have the saber in Mace's hand,you probably
cant even tell.

About the missle shooter.You can always try to get some paint
and put a light coat of paint over the silver.:crazed:

mabudonicus
02-16-2002, 06:02 PM
Sorry. I got so wrapped up in that last post- Mace's force-hole (sorry) looks kinda silly, but at least it'll be out of the way in a neutral, crossed-hands pose. The magnet, too, looks okay- it'd be nice if they'd just use a really powerful magnet covered with a thin rubber skin, so as to be seamless- maybe the actual figure will be that way, with this still being some kind of prototype? I must say that if I were still a kid(no, not the user) I would probably find the disarm-ability factor of the magnet lightsabers pretty darn cool, though.

Unit-01
02-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Mace looks like he's having a good time blasting, chopping and throwing droids. He's smiling. And the single carded one looks like he is NOT ahving a good time.:D

master jedi
02-16-2002, 07:46 PM
Why? Oh Why is Hasbro making Episode 2 figures suck so very much?

LTBasker
02-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Unit-01, wouldn't you be happy too if you got to take down a Droid with the force? :D

Master-Jedi, if hate them so much, stop looking at them and just get what you want.

master jedi
02-16-2002, 09:09 PM
But they're everywhere.

Unit-01
02-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Unit-01, wouldn't you be happy too if you got to take down a Droid with the force? :D

Ofcourse! It just looks like he is about to start wiggling his @$$ and gettin' jiggy wit' it! :D :crazed:

chewie
02-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Probably hard for master jedi to only buy what he wants if he dosen't see anything he likes.

What if these things were at clearance for $2. That would make me love all of them.

I like some. I may buy a couple when they're first out so as not to have to wait, but I'm banking on waiting for the majority to hit the bargain bin.

JEDIpartner
02-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
Why? Oh Why is Hasbro making Episode 2 figures suck so very much?

It seems like everyone has gone mad here! A bulk of the figures are pure crap! I guess I wouldn't feel like everyone has been brainwashed if folks, like fellow poster Jar Jar, had a least a couple negative comments about the new line. I've never thought EVERY LAST THING that Hasbro has made in the past has been stellar. There have been really good pieces and some real clunkers along the way. This is my opinion on the new line as well. I, in this case, feel that a majority of the new line is pretty awful. I suppose that's the way Dubious also feels. I don't plan on buying the ones I feel are substandard only because-
1. I don't want them
2. I don't want to spend the money on something that doesn't do it for me,
3. It sends a message to Hasbro that they can do anything to our beloved line and we'll happily hand over our cash to line Hasbro's pockets...

So... I think that's what is so frustrating. It has already been said by one forum poster that he is disappointed in the line in a few ways and he DOES have them in his hands. I just can't imagine that after all this time Hasbro has finally achieved the PERFECT toy. It isn't realistic and it isn't possible. The forums are here to discuss the good AND THE BAD points of the line. Many of us have espressed both viewpoints, but we need to see that "you" aren't all "happy heads", so to speak, looking at the line through rose coloured glasses.

INDIANA
02-19-2002, 11:38 AM
I do concur on a number of points....

I've learned from experience that if I don't like, say, the first Obi-Wans, just wait and Hasblo will make 10 more, 1 of which I will like. (Lesson learned from E1 re-sculpts)

I think the driving force behind the toy sales in a movie year are the children, unfortunately not us. Hasblo knows they can produce crap, the kids will buy, they will make their money, then shift back to kissing our butts with better sculpts for the collectors to keep the line alive until E3.

I will be buying about half of what I've seen...I only really like half so that is what I will buy.

I would like to know what Jar Jar has seen that he didn't like, as I too find it a little hard to believe that with so much negative talk about the line, there is actually someone who likes EVERYTHING!!!
BUT...if he does...OK.

INDIANA
02-19-2002, 12:00 PM
I would also loke to draw attention to Tyco's report, about how he changed his mind after ctually seeing them in his hands.

What we have been seeing are most probably hand painted, best figures Hasblo could find, NOT the mass produced garbage we will be expected to buy.

Also, please, people say from time to time, that we are seeinf prototypes and the real ones will look better. Can anyone give me an example of when this has occured? Seems to me like all the prototypes I've seen have been the final versions.

JEDIpartner
02-19-2002, 12:02 PM
10. What Vader looks like completely naked
9. What Whitney houston smells like after a performance
8. What Hasbro REALLY has going on overseas in their shops
7. How some people use Artoo figures...
6. That Carrie Fisher still tries on the slave costume from time to time
5. Sammy B (Bin Laden) is really Anakin's father :eek:
4. Lucas and McCallum take naps together back at the ranch.
3. The madness Hasbro has created will continue well into Episode 3
2. There's a "Memento 2" in the works

and....

1. Forum poster Jar Jar is really Rose Nyland (Betty White) from TV's "Golden Girls".

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Rollo, some of them things just aren't right...

JEDIpartner
02-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Hey LTBasker... that was ME! :confused:

Are we twins??? :D

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Hasbro has overseas shops?!!!!!! :eek: It's a conspiracy!!!!!: :Pirate: Isn't there a thread somewhere that explores the relationship between Lucas and McCallum in somwhat unflattering terms? That was a funny thread to be sure. :D

Huh, prototypes lovingly hand painted and finished to show at TOYFAIR. Then the production machine rolls 'em out and the little paint monkeys start with the overspray and the mis-targeted paint on the eyes and missing paint decos and LO AND BEHOLD! star wars figures as we've come to know them with arms that come off and weird bendy accessories and eyes on their foreheads and hair that seems a real weird color. :D

Those TOYFAIR samples are the best your gonna see these things. Expect less when you have them in your hands. Sure some of them might improve. I hope the Geonosians don't all look like oil slicks. Hope they tone down the shiny paint on those. Hope the Reek isn't so strwberry looking. But experience tells me that they'll all be really garish and slap dash. Remember the paint on the Kaadu and Fambaa? That paint on wipe off thing Hasbro do to fill the indents in a sculpt really worked well there..... :rolleyes: My Fambaa looks like a three year old Baboon painted it. I guess that's when they actually had some quality control at the factories. Wonder what the new stuff will start churning out like? The Nexu has stripes that will be sprayed on. If they spray the stripes like they sprayed the FX x-wing then it'll be a big black mess of paint and no Nexu underneath it all.
Maybe that's a little pessimistic but it's better in my eyes to be prepared for the worst and then to be pleasantly surprised if it looks better. Unfortunately I'm not too hopeful..... :(

Beast
02-19-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I guess I wouldn't feel like everyone has been brainwashed if folks, like fellow poster Jar Jar, had a least a couple negative comments about the new line.
I have stated there are a few things in the new line that I don't like. There always are clunkers at the start of the line, there was for POTF2, E1, and POTJ. But just like every line stuff follows soon after that is superior. If you check out the post Tycho made about changing his mind after holding his friends "carded" figures in his hands you would know I stated some things I didn't like. But I will buy them to ensure that the line is a sucess like the E1 line and we will get superior re-sculpts later. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-19-2002, 02:41 PM
1. Forum poster Jar Jar is really Rose Nyland (Betty White) from TV's "Golden Girls".
:D You know what they say: you can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk really fast or he'll die. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
02-19-2002, 03:09 PM
No more Saint Olaf stories!!!! :mad: :D

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 04:00 PM

Sorry, wasn't paying full attention, I was laughing too hard. :D

As for paint jobs, check out FX-7 and IG-88 and the Royal Decoy Travel Gown Sabe/Amidala, awesome paint jobs! Heck only POTJ figure I have a big complain about on paintjob is the Rebel Trooper, they painted too much of his helmet black, you can see the difference when comparing to the picture and you can see that there is a line on the front of the helmet where it's supposed to seperate the black area but they painted over it.

Jayspawn
02-19-2002, 08:00 PM
I don't like the magnets feature too much. It looks like the lightsaber is magically sticking to their hands. You can't beat a figure that 'holds' their weapon.

Rollo Tomassi
02-19-2002, 08:46 PM

Well, I'M not offended. I'd a JEDIPartnr anyday!:D

xboywonder
02-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Jar Jar Binks = Rose Nyland - Ha!! Too Funny.

Tycho
02-23-2002, 11:12 PM
Alright, this thread is being looked at by staff, but JediCole is the moderator for this forum, and JediTricks or SirSteve would have the final say if anyone is out of line. I'll let them handle it and I'm not going to take any action or bring it up to them at this point.

I think you guys are starting to resolve your own problems and work things through with some maturity, anyway. Nevertheless, I have been private messaged by people who's feelings were hurt, and no one can say that's a good thing.

Anyway, the rest of the staff may have already reviewed the in-fighting here, or not. I don't know.

My decision is to put down my opinion about the member-bashing and the E2 line both.

In-Fighting amongs the members...

Post your opinions, and if you agree or disagree with someone, post that too if your heart is telling you to.

Rebuttals are fine. But you don't need to make them personally charactersistic of anyone. I was a victim of this myself, and I know how some of you feel.

I am usually optimistic about what Hasbro has forthcoming, and I participate in the hobby forums to enjoy my interest with others who like SW collecting, enjoy discussing exciting new products, or ones we hope to get, and to generally come away from here with an "Up." I can work, or do house chores if I want to have something to really complain about. So I personally do get sick of some of the consistant negativity in these threads concerning new products from Hasbro.

But if your own honest opinion is negative towards a product or the summation of all the offerings in general, then by all means vent, and say so. And that does empower a heck of a lot of you who have expressed negative feelings about this year's figures.

But please do think for yourself. This isn't about taking sides and getting "a posse" together to agree with you. Be honest with yourself and others. If your opinion changes (and it could), allow it to. It's an opinion. You are not right or wrong - nor do you - or even a majority of you, decide if this year's line sucks or surges. I run polls on this website and they will give you information about what the majority of the visitors at this site feel. My own opinion changed many times on the E2 figures, and having actually held them carded now, it IS FOR THE NEGATIVE - possibly a rarity for me.

But that is a personal attribute of myself - that I could take offense at people commenting critically on. "Tycho is always positive. He'll blindly praise and buy anything Hasbro will sell." I'm big enough to see how that could generally be true about me, but I don't have my ego at stake to "be right," have it my way, or influence others to think like me on this issue.

In my opinion, the new figures were cheaply painted, and less exciting versus some things like the Geonosians that we'll be getting in later waves. The early ones are largely mass-produced / fast produced, and not as impressive as what we've gotten from POTJ in 2001. It's a step back, but possibly no better or worse than Episode One's initial figures. They aren't THAT bad, and this is by no means a disaster for Star Wars collecting.

Many people use set-backs as excuses to say "That's it! I'm going to sell my whole collection!" and get out of the hobby. Some really want to do that and are waiting for any excuse to pay their credit card bills or free up more money for their wives and girlfriends to quit whining for. Whether Padme's arm joint looks awkward by no means has anything to do with whether Vader Removeable Helmet is a good figure you enjoyed purchasing, or not. Though I doubt you'll get a lot for selling him right now, as for those of you wanting to do that, I'd gather the market will be better once the frenzy for the new movie gathers much more momentum (closer to the toy release and movie release dates). But I don't really think you'll profit from Star Wars collecting, but rather take a loss. I'm not in this for the money, and as I open all my stuff, I never was. But I'm glad I have what I do own, and whatever new stuff does or does not do for me, nothing will change that.

But the extreme opinions sometimes posted do affect people's emotions who come here for a "high" and come away with a low. They adamantly defend Hasbro or whatever product to protect or justify their investment and utility attributed to this hobby. For those of you like this, the point above also applies: new product that sucks doesn't change the fact that what you have that you really like, is just as awesome as you think it is.

But note - on New Products my opinion can and does change with the circumstances. When I get more figures so I can open some and actually play with them, anything is possible. With the figures carded, I'm still on the outside looking in. Preview Jango Fett is loose though, and none-too-impressive. I like the add-on blast effects though - for dioramas. THEY COME OFF THE GUNS, PEOPLE.

So I hope everyone will post their honest opinions, agree or disagree, and hold their egos in check enough that they can re-evaluate their opinions and not make these forums battlegrounds for taking sides to attack someone personally or "prove" your evaluation of a collectible "is Right." That's all.

Take care and have fun while you're here!

Obi-Don
02-24-2002, 06:36 AM
With that said by Tycho,There isn't much else to be said. I agree with Tycho on this. Lets express our opinions without hurting each other or putting one down because of what they like or dislike. Everyone has the right to change thier minds or keep to thier opinion. We are all friends here.

Emperor Howdy
02-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Oh, why don't you all put a sock in it! You're fat and your mom dresses you funny!! :eek:

P.S. Just in case somebody doesn't realize it.....I'm totally kidding. :rolleyes: