PDA

View Full Version : Binary Sunset cue in ROTJ is a fitting touch

JediTricks
08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
At 11:38 this morning, I put on my SW playlist, a sampling of most - but not all - of the OT SE soundtracks. I wasn't thinking about it much, when right now Binary Sunset came on and I hadn't been listening to the context that led to it. There's that melancholy part about 2:40 in which swells and brings a real emotion to Luke's situation, but for some reason that's all I locked into and for a second I thought that I left it on shuffle and that was the ROTJ cue when Luke gives his father a drydocked viking funeral.

For some reason, that was the first time I've ever noticed the connection from the beginning of Luke's journey to the end, and it felt very powerful, very apt despite a much different situation for each. It makes sense then that just as Luke's journey into becoming the hero of Star Wars starts with a swelling sadness within him, so too does his turning to a full fledged Jedi and leader of a new galactic order start that way - both don't want to say goodbye to the old, feel trapped by it, but eventually something good comes of each. Very powerful stuff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, I never thought of it like that before. Pretty cool. I always get a little emotional during the last few minutes of ROTJ, beginning with Luke burning Vader's armor.

bobafrett
08-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow, I never thought of it like that before. Pretty cool. I always get a little emotional during the last few minutes of ROTJ, beginning with Luke burning Vader's armor.

Yep, brings tears to my eyes, and I don't know why. Don't know if it's the Father /Son thing, or the fact that Vader uis redeemed, and then passes away.

Nice observation JT, if I wasn't so tired, I would pull out my soundtrack and give it a listen.

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks. It was weird, I've listened to this stuff a hundred times and never heard that connection before, yet it's right there and surprisingly powerful in retrospect.

As for getting emotional, that's a heck of an emotional investment, but I do know what you mean there.

jjreason
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
The music is a HUGE part of the end of ROTJ. Both SE and non "work" for me (in the teary eye department), couple it with the look on Luke's face when he sees Han and hugs him.... I'm a mess just thinking about it. lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
The music is a HUGE part of the end of ROTJ. Both SE and non "work" for me (in the teary eye department), couple it with the look on Luke's face when he sees Han and hugs him.... I'm a mess just thinking about it. lol
Maybe since I saw the original version long after I'd seen the SE, I really hate the original music. It's much more like a teddy bears' picnic than the sweeping, grand finale to a 12-hour epic that it should be (and is in the newer versions).

JediTricks
08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Yub Nub fits ROTJ much better, the new music is so generic and un SW. Neither do a great job of wrapping up the saga IMO, but Yub Nub does a good job of wrapping up ROTJ's sensibilities, saying "these little guys beat the Empire today!" and then how it transitions to the closing SW theme is actually a little spine-tingly. I really hate the cheesiness of the children singing "Ya ya ya yayayaya", but my biggest problem with it is that it's a downbeat tune. We come out of the somber Binary Sunset cue I mentioned originally in this thread, it's a sad scene and it's played with that feeling, and originally Yub Nub brought us back upbeat to a happy feeling, a feeling of finally winning, while Ya ya yaaaaa" there is introspective and melancholy, it's a friggin' downer.

You young whipper-snappers and your crappy prequels!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
The human singing is a little jarring in both versions, but I feel it's less noticeable in Victory Celebration than in Yub Nub (especially in the actual film; it's louder or more obvious on the CD). It is overall somewhat melancholy but I think it works; Anakin is finally redeemed, and Luke is finally at the end of his journey. It's a happy time but also definitely one for reflection, methinks.

JediTricks
09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Seems like a shoehorning to me. It's supposed to be a happy ending, not an introspective emo one.