PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting married tomorrow 8/8/8.

jedi master sal
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I didn't want to make a big deal of this, so I waited until near the last possible moment, since I don't expect to be on SSG tonight or tomorrow. (but will be on over the weekend)

After 10+ years, I'm finally getting married to my fianceť.

For us, it's really nothing more than a legal ceremony. We're not doing anything big, just going to the Justice of the Peace. In reality the main reason for us choosing to get married now is that we're looking to buy a home and in order for her income to count towards me getting a VA (Veterans) loan, we have to be married.

We've already thought of ourselves as "married" for some years now and under current Pennsylvania law are considered "commonlaw married." This just puts a stamp on a piece of paper saying so.

Anyway, just figured I'd mention it, since I won't be on and when you folks start seeing me reference her as my wife, you'll know why.

The ceremony is at 8:30 am here in Pittsburgh. At 11:15 am we'll be taking our 3rd look at a property we pan on making a bid for as our house. Afterwards we'll take in lunch, then a movie, do some shopping, then dinner, then watch the Olympics on one TV and the Steeler game on the other TV. The honeymoon is postponed for now since we need to focus on getting the home first.

I know this isn't all "romantic," but remember, she feels the same way about this as I do. So, it's not just my opinion of the day.

Exhaust Port
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Congrats on the big day. In addition to your goal of buying a house I'd think being married would help out the other spouse should something happen to one of you. Legal fights after the fact would be a bit easier when handling the assets. Of course the biggest result of this will be your ability to never forget your wedding date. :)

JimJamBonds
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Congrats sir.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't want to make a big deal of this, ... since I don't expect to be on SSG tonight or tomorrow.

Anyway, just figured I'd mention it, since I won't be on and when you folks start seeing me reference her as my wife, you'll know why.

The ceremony is at 8:30 am here in Pittsburgh. ... then watch the Olympics on one TV and the Steeler game on the other TV. The honeymoon is postponed for now since we need to focus on getting the home first.

I know this isn't all "romantic," but remember, she feels the same way about this as I do. So, it's not just my opinion of the day.I think we'd have allowed you to make as big a deal as you wanted; also, most of us could've put it together if you started saying wife. Well, maybe not me... :D :saymanandWIFEmanandWIFE:

There's your honeymoon! An HD trip to China, and a preseason game with the only team in the NFL with a single-sided logo helmet! :thumbsup:

And congrats on yet another single dude making it out of da singlehood.

Ando
08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Congratulations. I don't know you and I've only been on the boards for a week or so, but I wish you all the best of luck and God's blessings. My wife and I got married last year in June.

It's not easy, but it is rewarding and if you're best friends, then it make it all that much better.

Kidhuman
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Congrats Sal. Wish you and she the besteseses

jedi master sal
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Xport,: you of course are right and that was taken into consideration. and thanks

JJB: thank you sir.

BCJ: Exactly. We can just "pretend" to be in those places. and thanks

Ando: Thanks and welcome to the boards.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Congrats Sal. I hope you both have many happy years together. :thumbsup:

pegger
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Sal - Congrats man! I will have a beer tonight for you and your spouse. (It's beats just having a beer beacuse it's Thursday..)

Seriously - congrats on the plunge. Good luck with the house!

TeeEye7
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Congrats Sal!

It's good to see your fianceť is finally making an honest man of you! ;)

With a ten year history already enjoyed by the two of you, it looks like you're a great match! Before you know it, you'll catch up to Mrs. TI7 and me.....we celebrated our 25th this year! :thumbsup:

Getting married at 12 isn't too young, is it?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Congratulations Sal. My parents got married at the court house and that has lasted over 50 years. Hopefully you two don't bicker as much as they do. Fifty years is a long time to do that.

figrin bran
08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Congratulations Sal!!!

jamesbondo07
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Congratulations!!!! Enjoy every moment of your marriage. It goes way to fast. I have only been married for almost 3 years but it seems to go way to fast. Good Luck with the big wedding gift (the house).

sith_killer_99
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Big CONGRATS!:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I wonder how she'll feel when you spend the wedding night with your AT-TE instead of with her? ;)

Really though, congratulations!

UKWildcat
08-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Congratulations Sal! I wish you two nothing but the best!

I hope you get the house. I know you said you are postponing the honeymoon, but do you have any thoughts/plans on where you will be going?

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Awesome.

I don't see why every home doesn't have one. :beard:

(Seriously, congratulations, m'man.)

jedibear
08-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Best wishes to you and the missus!

Old Fossil
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Congrats, best wishes, etc. Sal!

My wife and I got married at a JP 9 years ago. One of the best things I ever did.

If we all lived nearer to one another, we could've thrown you a SSG wedding shower! Finger sandwiches, punch, and Clone Troopers!:razz:

CaptainSolo1138
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Sal's groomsmen will be 5 AT-TEs. ;)

Congrats, big fella. All the best for you and your wife.

bobafrett
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Congratulations Sal and his new wife! I'm married, and I survived! Next week marks two months for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM
And use the new Falcon as a punchbowl. :eek: Kidding, kidding. With its size, you could've had the JP ceremony inside IT. :pleased:

DarthQuack
08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats good buddy, hope you're having a great day and also a great weekend!

mtriv73
08-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Congrats and good luck! My wife and I are coming up on 7 years september 1st (wow, more than a fifth of my life.) Asking her to marry me was the best decision I ever made. I wish you as much happiness as we've had.

jedi master sal
08-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses/well wishes!

I'm going to show my WIFE (almost typed fiancee...) this thread later today. Right now I'm just catching up on e-mail and posts before we go to see an early screening of Clone Wars!

I'll post my thoughts on the movie later today as well.

We had a nice day yesterday. Good weather (a cool low 60s, slightly overcast). After the ever so quick ceremony we went to breakfast. Then back to the house we viewed previously. We did put a bid on it, the seller countered (hardly budging at all). We countered again, and this time the STILL didn't budge. After discussing it last night we decided to forego this house. It's a buyers market, we'll find another one. Anyway, after viewing the house we did some shopping, then relaxed at home for a bit. We took in dinner at the Olive Garden-a treat from her mother since her mom gave us a nice gift of $100. After dinner it was back home to watch the Olympics on one TV and the Steelers on the other TV.

All in all a nice and RELAXING day.

bobafrett
08-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm going to show my WIFE (almost typed fiancee...) this thread later today. Right now I'm just catching up on e-mail and posts before we go to see an early screening of Clone Wars!

Yep, I did the same thing, even today I refered to her as my fiance, then corrected myself, instead of the person I was talking to correcting my error. It takes awhile to get adjusted, me, I'm a bit slower than the rest of the crowd.

Ji'dai
08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Congrats! At least it will be easy to remember your anniversary.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Congrats! At least it will be easy to remember your anniversary.Yep, it is four days before the '09 Madden game was released. And it's the same as the birthdays of actor Larry Wilcox and musician The Edge. Easy. :pleased:

2-1B
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
congrats on your self proclaimed meaningless wedding.

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 12:46 AM

That, from SSG's morale officer! ;)

Ji'dai
08-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Yep, it is four days before the '09 Madden game was released. And it's the same as the birthdays of actor Larry Wilcox and musician The Edge. Easy. :pleased: Oooh, Ponch's better half!

jedi master sal
08-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Well it's not meaningless...

We just didn't make a big shindig of it. It means a lot to the both of us. Besides the tax breaks and ability to get a bigger loan, it's more importantly the final union of a 10 year relationship.

And again I will remind that we BOTH felt this way. Heck she even said she didn't want any kind of party where people would get drunk off of our expense. I look at it this way-We had an initmate ceremony where the only people that matter in this relationship were present. We saved a crap load of money by doing so and had a great day to boot. No pressure about having the right colors, fitting dresses for bridesmaids, getting relatives all settled in, etc.

It was pure and simple. I'd actually suggest it for more couple thinking about getting married. Why start off your married life in debt? Most weddings do put people in debt-so I'm going off percentages here, your experience may vary. We've got enough to think about with getting a new home, we didn't/don't need a huge wedding bill hanging over our heads...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Well it's not meaningless...

We just didn't make a big shindig of it.

It was pure and simple. ... Why start off your married life in debt? ...Or, why start off your life married? :D In da hood, bachelorhood! \m/

Mad Slanted Powers
08-10-2008, 11:11 AM
It was pure and simple. I'd actually suggest it for more couple thinking about getting married. Why start off your married life in debt? Most weddings do put people in debt-so I'm going off percentages here, your experience may vary. We've got enough to think about with getting a new home, we didn't/don't need a huge wedding bill hanging over our heads...I agree, but you can still have a small simple wedding and not be too expensive. I think that when my parents were married, they just had a couple people stand with them at the courthouse. Then they went and visited each of their parents. My sister's first wedding was just a few people and then we went to eat at a restaurant. My dad was in Alaska at the time, so they waited a couple months until he came home to have a big reception. My oldest brother had a big traditional wedding. My other brother had a relatively small ceremony with just family, and a larger reception, but nothing too elaborate. You needn't serve alcohol either. If I ever got married, I hope it would be nothing more elaborate than what the second brother did, but I wouldn't mind something closer to what you did.

Blue2th
08-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Congratulations Jedi Master Sal!

You picked a good date: 8-8-08

The test of love is time. You've already done that in the ten years of being together.

You can always have a huge "shindig" on your ten year anniversary and re-up your vows.