PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive B-wing

TheDarthVader
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Could someone tell me if there are any differences with this new dagger squadron B-wing as opposed to the old POTJ B-wing? I noticed the new one has a cockpit that rotates 360 degrees. Is that a new feature?

Also, anyone planning on buying this? I would have bought it if it had a ROTJ paint scheme. We need a new one, hasbro! Maybe they will do the same thing they did with the rancor and release another b-wing in the OT style.

bigbarada
08-07-2008, 05:16 PM
The 360 degree rotating cockpit has been a feature of this toy since 1984. It was designed to stay upright no matter how you had the ship oriented, only it worked better on the vintage toy because they used higher quality materials and thicker plastics back then.

The only reason I would buy this vehicle is for the pilot. I have no use for a non-movie B-Wing.

obi-dad
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I have no use for a non-movie B-Wing.

here... here! and I wouldn't even buy this for the pilot, but wouldn't walk away from a reasonable trade for the pilot. But then again, I won't actively look for a trade for him either.

Old Fossil
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I saw this and it was an easy pass. The only ships close to EU I've bought were the Mace Windu, Vader, and Saesee Tiin starfighters.

I never liked the design of the B-Wing. Just too... ungainly. Looks more like some sort of surgical tool than a starfighter.

Neuroleptic
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I too would not buy the new B-wing. I got the POTJ one several years ago, and while I'm trying to get the new B-wing pilot to retire the figure that came with my B-wing (though I may just leave him at the controlls instead and have new kid talking with some of the other pilots. . . havn't decided yet) but I have no use for a new one. the one I have is great. I like the color, AND the fact that the new one dose not look worn out. The 'dirt' on the one i have makes it look a lot better.

Easy pass, unless I find it insanely cheap.

Snowtrooper
08-07-2008, 10:08 PM
0 interest in this, both ship and pilot. I got the POTJ a few years back and I really don't feel the need to get another one.

Darth Jax
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
i got mine at MM cuz i didn't have the old one.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2008, 10:16 PM
In the past, I most likely would have bought this because is looks kind of cool with this color scheme, and for the figure it comes with. However, since I already have the POTJ B-Wing and space is getting short, I have not purchased this. Normally I am a fan of EU, but in this case I can use the fact that it is not in the movie to brand this as non-essential for me to have. I still might decide to get it, but I'll have to order it online because there is no TRU here anymore.

Devo
08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Only the paint seems different - though they rejigged the cockpit for the new A-wing so maybe they did something here.

Likewise only the pilot interests me but I'm not going to buy the ship for him. If the B-wing had had a larger role in ROTJ I probably would have bought it only if it had a film-accurate paintjob but the B-wing and this B-wing particularly has neither of those going for it.

Blue2th
08-09-2008, 01:15 AM
I saw this in TRU the other day. I'm just not liking the clean look with blood red accents. This seems to be an ongoing theme with a lot of SW vehicles lately.
The POTJ is much better paint wise me thinks, and I have that one so I don't need this EU one.
I wouldn't mind having that pilot though.

sebillba
08-09-2008, 04:44 AM
I saw this on 26/7, and although I don't buy vehicles (I'm still on the fence with the BMF), the pilot looked pretty cool. I looked him up and found he was EU, so decided to pass.... but if it's a movie outfit, maybe I should get him. Is it a unique outfit from ROTJ, or just an EU rehash of Ten Numb?

DarkArtist
08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I bought mine at MM in Freehold NJ - i ship is different from the previous B-Wings as this time you can change the cannons on the Dagger Squadron B-Wing to include a launching missile type cannon. i also think the cockpit might be a retool since now there are control yokes in the cockpit for the figure to hold onto (kinda like the pilot's accessory from pilot Anakin TPM).

the pilot is a cool figure to have in the background of a rebel briefing scene or hanger scene. if you're thinking of passing on the ship i think you should rethink, or wait till you either find it on clearence or for cheap on ebay. however we all know how certain TRU exclusives disappear fast, since MM i have yet to see on the shevles since.

Devo
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't mind having that pilot though.

Years ago did we ever imagine the days when we'd be longing for a pack-in figure? Its commonplace now.

As a sidenote I'll be picking up that new A-wing - it benefits from a few things -A) Film-based paintjob B) new cockpit details and C) cool pack-in pilot with correct A-wing pilot helmet for the first time since 1997 D) A-wing was reasonably well seen in ROTJ and E) its small and looks good in a hangar diorama

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Cockpit's been reworked, and there are new snap-on missile-launching cannons on the wings (this was designed because there was a mention of upgradeable weapon pods on the wings in the Vehicles Guide, but no images so they went and made their own).

jjreason
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I was 100% passing on this thing..... but then I saw it today in person. I'm very close to going back because of the pilot, and the fact that it's a core OT vehicle. I have 2 different A-Wings out on display, and think that a distinct B-Wing might work well with those. It's a lot less "flashy" than I was worried it might be.

obi-dad
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I was 100% passing on this thing..... but then I saw it today in person. I'm very close to going back because of the pilot, and the fact that it's a core OT vehicle. I have 2 different A-Wings out on display, and think that a distinct B-Wing might work well with those. It's a lot less "flashy" than I was worried it might be.

Well, as stated earlier, I'm passing, but I hope this is successful, so Hasbro starts thinking of vehicles as a place they can make a profit. I will be buying at least one of the new A-Wings, but I hope the exclusive Biggs' "Rebel" Tie-fighter (or whatever pilot it ended up coming with [Hobie?]). I don't want Hasbro to ever think that was a good idea.

Jargo
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
i'd rather rebuy the regular B-wing. this one looks really cheap for some reason. hating the red gun sections too. don't like the pilot either. the red stripes on his flight suit and face look stupid.

now the rebel pilots set red flight suit B-wing pilot is far superior. I'd buy multiple of that pilot. if they single carded him.

bigbarada
08-14-2008, 12:47 AM
I just saw this for the first time today and all I can say is, "What a piece of junk!" I don't mean that in an endearing way either, this thing just looks cheap and flimsy. Definitely not worth $40.

TheDarthVader
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks, BB. I will definitely pass now. I guess I will have to wait for a ROTJ B-wing. *Sigh*

Neuroleptic
08-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Actualy, if you shop around on E-bay, you can get either the original 1983 version and do some detail work to it to make it look better for not all that much, and the POTJ version is also reasonably priced at the moment.

It's a buyers market for just about everything at the moment since not as many people are spending free money on collecting.

At least, last time I looked . . . Ah. Here's a good example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-2-VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-B-WING-FIGHTERS-SHIPS-ROTJ-NR_W0QQitemZ320284650792QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50276QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is an auction for two compleate vintage B-wing fighters in preaty good shape with a vintage pilot. If a person who was good with detail work for model kits bought them, theyd both be great additions to a collection, and you could leave the better of the two as is to show case a vintage version of it.

I'd rather the basic vintage version any day over the modern one. Only thing the new one has going for it is the new controlls for the pilot. While that's cool, it's just not enough to justify buying one for me.

cookiemonster
08-15-2008, 08:02 PM
The only thing I want from this is the B-Wing Pilot himself, I dont like the coloring on the B-Wing itself.

DarkJedi5
08-19-2008, 12:40 AM
The original B-Wing was my first Star Wars toy ever and so when I saw the new one I jumped on it (what can I say, I've got a soft spot for them). That said after opening it and getting it set up I did find a few glaring problems; namely the cockpit canopy isn't as snuggly fitting as the original and of course the color scheme isn't quite movie accurate. However, I LOVE the paint on the engines! The added some cool sort of glow effect to engine cylinders on the back. All this got me feeling a little nostalgic and so I went back to look at my original B-Wing and it only made me glad that I bought the new one. The years have been hard on the old girl and I am really glad to have a new one. Really the only strike against it is the EU paint job but since you barely see the ship in the movie, it doesn't matter to me all that much.

SplFrcsCWO
08-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I just picked this up. I was on the fence but the new cockpit won me over. The "kill" stickers are cool too. Any clue where they go?

DarkJedi5
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I just picked this up. I was on the fence but the new cockpit won me over. The "kill" stickers are cool too. Any clue where they go?

Anywhere you please. Traditionally kill markings would go next to the cockpit someplace. Such is the case for the 181st TIE Interceptor and some of the Clone Wars lego sets. But it really doesn't matter.

SplFrcsCWO
08-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok, I wasn't sure if the Rebels put them in a certain spot.

DarkJedi5
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
As far as I remember, that's where they go in the novels and comics. I don't think you see them in the movies.