PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Summer Olympics

CaptainSolo1138
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Does anyone really care? I usually try to watch the opening ceremony, but it seems to drag on longer and longer each year (SPOILER: This years clocks in at a nauseating four hours and eight minutes) and has become more about showcasing/promoting/whoring the host country than the athletes involved. From the pictures I've seen from the ceremony thus far (which took place about 8:00am EST) these Olympics are no different. Hopefully NBC takes the time to edit them down, since I'm fairly certain I won't lose any sleep if I don't see Trinidad and Tobago make their grand entrance.

As for the actual events, I'm not sure I could be more apathetic and, from what I read here on these here world wide webz, I'm not alone. I think its silly for NBC and the other nine hundred networks that seem to have broadcast rights to allow time for so much coverage. Call it a hunch, but I don't think too many people in the U.S. tune in for the opening rounds of Women's Synchronized Swimming. I can understand showing basketball and baseball games in their entirety as people with even a casual interest in the sport will tune in, but does the average person care to see every single heat of the Men's 200m butterfly?

Is anyone else less than excited?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I didn't even read your post (whoever started this thread :rolleyes: ), but I was going to request that SPOILERS be put in the title.

I have a little interest, but I'm going to keep away from news reports (radio, online, TV, etc.) giving live results. I'll watch my normal track & field, basketball, occasional swimming or gymnastics, and try to pick an "unusual" sport (like curling from the Winter Games).

DarthQuack
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I love the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Games, mostly because the US doesn't dominate in everything, just makes it more fun to root for them, I also hate seeing spoilers...although it's tough to avoid them these days in the age that we're in....I will try to watch a lot of it though, I'll even be able to see the live stuff at 4am when I'm working!

CaptainSolo1138
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I was going to request that SPOILERS be put in the title.
Because I stated how long the opening ceremony lasts? That's borderline retarded.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm a fan of track and field, so I'll be trying to catch as much of that as possible when it starts next week. For those who are really into it, they like seeing the prelims, and distance people like me like being able to see the 10,000 meters in its entirety. One of my college coaches got the Triplecast back in 1992 and some of us that were still in the area for the summer would come in and watch. That was great being able to see the 10,000 final uninterrupted with knowledgeable commentators like Frank Shorter and Marty Liquori.

I'm not sure how much coverage there will be in the NBC primetime schedule, since they have other sports to show. Universal HD will probably be the better bet to catch more extensive coverage, but I don't yet know when they'll be showing the events. I'll have most of the week after next off, so I'll be able to follow it a little closer at that point.

Being close to Canada, I'll also have the option to watch CBC's coverage. Sometimes I like their coverage better. Since they don't have as many athletes to cover as the U.S., and even fewer that will be winning medals, they are able to focus on great athletes and great competition regardless of whether they have any contenders in it. When they do have an athlete do well, it means a lot more.

TeeEye7
08-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Because I stated how long the opening ceremony lasts? That's borderline retarded.

That's helpful! Now I know who much Chinese food to order for all the people coming over to watch! :thumbsup:

They will get hungry again soon, y'know!

;)

Kidhuman
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
the whole Olympics are spoilers, since they are all time delayed when shown on TV.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM

the whole Olympics are spoilers, since they are all time delayed when shown on TV.That was my point. I never read any of the posts (as I said) when I posted, so if that makes me borderline retarded, then so be it. The spoiler aspect was based on results of events later, not the opening ceremony. :OlympicSpiritofTogetherness: ;) [edit: that sounded harsh on my part; no harm no foul :) ]

Now I know who much Chinese food to order for all the people coming over to watch! :thumbsup:I did have Chinese take-out for dinner, in honor of the event. :pleased:

[edit]And those drummers to start the ceremony were quite impressive.

CaptainSolo1138
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
:OlympicSpiritofTogetherness:Sure enough. If India and Pakistan can play nice for a couple weeks, they surely we can get a long. :D

And I will now make an official statement and eat my hat: I watched damn near all four hours of the opening ceremony tonight. The show Beijing put on was second to none. Also, its fun to watch all the hot chicks during the parade of nations.:lipsrsealed:

Rocketboy
08-09-2008, 01:22 AM
There are only two Olympic Sports I give a rat's arse about: Ice Hockey (two more years...) and Women's Beach *giggity* Volleyball.
The rest of it just interrupts new Conan O'Brien episodes.

CaptainSolo1138
08-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Holy carp! An RB sighting!

In other news, an American has already been killed in China (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/09/olympics.murder/index.html). Not bad. At this rate we only stand to lose just over a dozen Americans.:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Sure enough. If India and Pakistan can play nice for a couple weeks, they surely we can get a long. :D

And I will now make an official statement and eat my hat: I watched damn near all four hours of the opening ceremony tonight. The show Beijing put on was second to none. Also, its fun to watch all the hot chicks during the parade of nations.:lipsrsealed:I, too, watched much (not all) of the ceremony... I could only make it until about half of the Parade of Nations was through. But the caligraphy dancing on the scroll, the "wind" out of printing blocks, the globe dancers (they were SIDEWAYS :eek: )... wow, wow, wow.

In other news, an American has already been killed in China.I was optimistically hoping this could be avoided entirely, but moreso that it wouldn't be so soon. :cry:

2-1B
08-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm too busy following the Brett Favre saga to deal with the Olympics.

Don't feel bad Bel-Cam, if you're half-retarded you can still take comfort knowing Caps is full-blown...

CaptainSolo1138
08-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm too busy following the Brett Favre saga to deal with the Olympics.ESPN will be by shortly to install the wireless feed mechanism into your head. They're working west from Bristol and are set to take care of Wisconsin and Minnesota tomorrow.

Don't feel bad Bel-Cam, if you're half-retarded you can still take comfort knowing Caps is full-blown...Word to your mother.

El Chuxter
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Call me insane, evil, unpatriotic, or whatever, but I get sick of these privileged kids who always get what they want and are full of themselves, and yet are media darlings because they had the free time to do nothing but train for 20 years and can win medals.

Therefore, I want someone to pull a Tonya Harding and break Michael Phelps' kneecap.

CaptainSolo1138
08-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Therefore, I want someone to pull a Tonya Harding and break Michael Phelps' kneecap.Personally, I think the spandex capris are punishment enough.

I agree with you to an extent in terms of them being "privileged", but certainly not with the same vigor as you. I see where you're coming from with it (must be nice to just hang from rings all day while the rest of us work), but on the other hand the vast majority of these athletes are not paid for what they do. Their only compensation comes in the form of a medal, which is no small feat if you're a swimmer from Lebanon where there isn't even an Olympic-sized pool to practice in. Sure, Kobe is a billionaire and Michael Phelps has mad endorsement money, but for every one of them there's a thousand eastern European dudes who have no reason except for pride as a motivation to train for twelve hours a day.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey, NBC got to dust off its John Tesh NBA theme song, as USA dusts off China.

And Chuxter, a clubbed knee wouldn't hurt a swimmer as much as a dislocated shoulder I would think, but you didn't hear that from me.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Call me insane, evil, unpatriotic, or whatever, but I get sick of these privileged kids who always get what they want and are full of themselves, and yet are media darlings because they had the free time to do nothing but train for 20 years and can win medals.

Therefore, I want someone to pull a Tonya Harding and break Michael Phelps' kneecap.

I'd hardly call it free time with the amount of time these people spend training. Then they also have to find time to have a job, which might be difficult to find one that will allow them to train. At least nowadays a lot more of them can make money from their sport without having to worry about losing their amateur status and not be able to compete in the Olympics. Even then, what they make pales in comparison to the kind of money made in baseball, football and basketball. I'd guess that most track & field athletes outside the very best can actually make a living at it.

Neuroleptic
08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Over privileged or not, it was cool to see the United States sweep the women's fencing competition. I don't know that I'v ever seen that in any competition during the olympics before.

Also, like Mad said, I don't think ALL of them participating are like that. Some of them probably do it just as a matter of national pride.

One moment I thought was rather touching was the womans . . . I think it was target practice? Russia won silver, and Georgia won bronz. Both woman actualy hugged eachother. I was kinda suprised one of them didn't SHOOT the other, given what's going on over there.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Over privileged or not, it was cool to see the United States sweep the women's fencing competition. I don't know that I'v ever seen that in any competition during the olympics before.Not seen a sweep? That has happened quite often in track, with the U.S. sprinters, particularly the 400, and with the Kenyans in the 3000m steeplechase.

Also, like Mad said, I don't think ALL of them participating are like that. Some of them probably do it just as a matter of national pride.Was there something in particular that Phelps did that has earned Chux's wrath?

One moment I thought was rather touching was the womans . . . I think it was target practice? Russia won silver, and Georgia won bronz. Both woman actualy hugged eachother. I was kinda suprised one of them didn't SHOOT the other, given what's going on over there.
If only everyone else could take a cue from the athletes. In ancient times they called truces for the Olympics. Now people boycott them and play politics, and that only hurts the athletes by ruining their Olympic dreams.

DarthQuack
08-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Women's gymnastics + cameltoes = awesome :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Why don't you have a seat right over there.
(http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/chris-hansen.jpg)

;)

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Cue the Bob & Tom music! :lipsrsealed:

jjreason
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Nope (to the original "Does anybody care?"), and I won't when it's in Canada next time either (unless I stand to make a fortune in overtime, which I very well might). I'm Olympicked out, mainly from the cheaters getting their medals taken away seemingly every week. :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
08-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Men's swimming 4x100 freestyle:

At the medal ceremony, I saw the US flag and the the Australian flag...but what was that curious all-white flag for second place? :confused:

:p:p:p:p x 100, mon ami!

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
At the medal ceremony, I saw the US flag and the the Australian flag...but what was that curious all-white flag for second place? :confused:It could've been the generic "Olympic" flag that some countries are choosing to use this year due to recent emancipations and such that leave them without a national flag.

I wanted to kick Sportscenter in the balls so hard this morning. I forget what women's swimming event it was, but the top three were Australia (AUS), the U.S. (USA) and Australia (AUS). Sportscenter shows the names, times and national abbreviations next to the flag for each country, though they failed to include all of the extra blue on the Australian flag and just showed the Union Jack as their national flag. OK, sure. But then the dips*it "anchor" declares both women to be from "Great Britain". What a slap in the face. All they training to participate for your country and then some idiot who is oblivious to common knowledge attributes your success to a different country?! On top of that, its done in a country full of uneducated idiots who don't know any better and will now walk around saying, "Them damn British, man. They kicked our butts in swimmin'!" because that's what they were told.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2008, 09:34 AM
It could've been the generic "Olympic" flag that some countries are choosing to use this year due to recent emancipations and such that leave them without a national flag.I believe he was making a joke about France.

I wanted to kick Sportscenter in the balls so hard this morning. I forget what women's swimming event it was, but the top three were Australia (AUS), the U.S. (USA) and Australia (AUS). Sportscenter shows the names, times and national abbreviations next to the flag for each country, though they failed to include all of the extra blue on the Australian flag and just showed the Union Jack as their national flag. OK, sure. But then the dips*it "anchor" declares both women to be from "Great Britain". What a slap in the face. All they training to participate for your country and then some idiot who is oblivious to common knowledge attributes your success to a different country?! On top of that, its done in a country full of uneducated idiots who don't know any better and will now walk around saying, "Them damn British, man. They kicked our butts in swimmin'!" because that's what they were told.Actually, I think they were from Great Britain if it is the race I saw. In the women's 400 freestyle, NBC referred to them as being from GB, and the results (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/SW/C73A1/SWW014101.shtml#SWW014101) on the internet say that as well. Or are you making a joke as well?

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I believe he was making a joke about France.Oh. Whatevs. I didn't catch it.

Actually, I think they were from Great Britain if it is the race I saw. In the women's 400 freestyle, NBC referred to them as being from GB, and the results (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/SW/C73A1/SWW014101.shtml#SWW014101) on the internet say that as well. Or are you making a joke as well?Because they couldn't have possibly been talking about this one (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/results?eventId=259). Surely I'm the one who is wrong.

JON9000
08-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Careful, most of them are 12 to 16. Although apparently one of the German gymnasts is 32! I think the US women's team is pretty much on the ropes, although they may do well in the individual events.

The opening ceremony was awesome, and I was into the swimming last night. Watching the Olympics in HD makes all the difference in the world. It's stunning.

TeeEye7
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I believe he was making a joke about France.

Cappy, I was just perpetuating the stereotype about the French: what do they do best? Surrender to a superior force! lol

White flags, anyone?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
White flags, anyone?I thought that was the insect rejuvinator spray?

Blue2th
08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Cappy, I was just perpetuating the stereotype about the French: what do they do best? Surrender to a superior force! lol

White flags, anyone?

The French did just that last night! After taunting the American Swimming team, they got beat by the U.S team for the gold, and wound up with a silver.

Which is not too bad considering most of the relay teams beat the previous world record last night.

Still second is second.

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2008, 02:13 PM

White flags, anyone?
I see what you did there.:bandit:

I thought you were referring to the flags of uncommitted countries.

Jargo
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
[retard voice]i likes to watch.

i likes the divin' and swimmin' and gymnasticics but not the artistic gymnastacics what is just for a girls and girly boys.

i likes the runnin' and jumpin' stuff. big pole jumping hur hur hur.

i likes to watch. yessir. mmmhmmm.
iliketowatch.[/retard voice]

DarthQuack
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Misty May has such a great rear.

TeeEye7
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM

According to Rod Stewart, her sister Maggie May has quite the reputation. :lipsrsealed:

:rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Ironically, Amanda Beard's clam is beardless.

Blue2th
08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I was noticing the swim team were completely hairless below the neck. Not even under-arm hairs or leg hair. Guess it slows them down.

A lot different from the Mark Spitz 70's.

TeeEye7
08-12-2008, 12:32 AM

I just realized that DQ likes beach bums! :yes:

Tycho
08-12-2008, 02:53 AM

Dude! I KNEW I wasn't the only one into women's gymnastics like this! :love:

Jargo
08-12-2008, 06:07 AM
how the hell did equestrian dressage become an olympic sport? it's the sort of thing I'd expect omn America's got talent but not at the olympics. fannying around with a trick pony is not what I'd call sport. it'll be olympic ventrilloquism or olympic plate spinning next.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
how the hell did equestrian dressage become an olympic sport? it's the sort of thing I'd expect omn America's got talent but not at the olympics. fannying around with a trick pony is not what I'd call sport. it'll be olympic ventrilloquism or olympic plate spinning next.

It's been there for quite a while.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Some kind of sad news, at least for baseball fans (from the Baseball Early Bird):

Both baseball and softball will make what could be their final appearance in the games this summer; both were eliminated from the 2012 games in London. Their lack leaves two slots for new sports empty, but as the IOC has not adopted any replacements, yet, there is a chance for reinstatement for the 2016 games (competing with golf, rugby sevens, and various rollersports for inclusion.) Baseball has been played in the Olympics as a demonstration sport dating back as far as 1904, but only became a medal sport in 1992.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I know it doesn't make much sense, but I've never really felt that baseball or softball in the Olympics fit well. For the '12 London Games, I think rugby would be an appropriate addition. How about bridge? (my London, London, London...)

TeeEye7
08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
This leaves the door wide open for that heart-pounding, action-packed game of cricket!

Oyes!

Tycho
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Olympic Guppie-Hunting.

Grown men in camaouflage and donning body armor take automatic weapons and RPGs out to slay tadpoles in a stream. This sport, soon to become widely popular in America, is being sponsored by the NRA who's goal is to make sure every hunter is adequately armed.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Perhaps they'll add LARP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LARP).

Jargo
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I think parapolo would be a great adition. polo in freefall skydiving. how cool.

aquatic sumo. submerged sumo wrestling. the floatation makes it all that much more competitive

rollerdiving. high board rollerskating. or rollerblading. water and skates. perfect mix.

boulder tipping. give those weight lifters something to really shift.

electrified hurdles and high jump pole in the athletics events.

y'know. these games have been going on so long it's time to make things difficult again. and more fun to watch.

green bowling is in the commonwealth games. could add that if they want another deathly dull 'sport'

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
electrified hurdles and high jump pole in the athletics events.
You could be on to something. Have you tried shopping your idea to the IOC yet? I know I'd watch.

Jargo
08-12-2008, 01:59 PM
maybe an alternate games event would be the perfect antidote to all the political cloak and dagger and ability enhancing drugs scandals.

just a quiet little event somewhere that doesn't ask questions and doesn't mind a bunch of guys goofing off around the track, field and pool.

i want to add nude fencing and jaywalking to the events as well. oh and fat suit judo.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
i want to add nude fencingDare I ask what will be used in place of the epees?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe Jargo meant building walls out of wood posts, while yer nekkid.

Jargo
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
the epee's would still be used. and no safety tips on them either. bareback fighting like proper gentlemen. if you're stabbed then you're stabbed. and if people point and laugh then build a bridge and get over it.

the javelin event would be to throw the thing and spear a suckling pig. whatever you kill you eat. Human judges and spectators excluded.

instead of dressage and horse jumping. i'd have cross country rough house polo. anything goes and the object is to get the puck or ball or whatever from one side of town to the other and nobble your opponents while doing so. artful use of the mallet gets better scores.

darts would be replaced by ninja throwing stars.

kayaking would be replaced by white water rafting.

beach volleyball would be played at night.

kabadi would be introduced as a sport any team can play regardless of ability. just for s***s and giggles.

loveladeees would be provided to winning competitors rather than useless medals.

i'd replace the archery and gun firing events with spectator assasinations. those on death row with no hope of reprieve would be pitted against would be assasins and the whole thing filmed as it takes place inside a laser quest type labyrinth.

women would be excluded from participating in the games themselves but encouraged to participate as voluntary loveladeees.

Burt Reynolds would be the games mascot. even if dead.

Qui-Long Gone
08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Could sharks be included in swimming, and jello replace the diving?

Jargo
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
sharks might be good for the speed walking event. make them do it in shallow water with baby sharks.

in what way would jello replace diving? pudding or would the jello be taking a fall?

oh and i reckon all the athletes should wear Borat style lycra in vile colours and not be allowed to remove any body hair.. they're in it to win it not fanny around fluffing their hair and applying lip gloss mid event.

and Macdonalds should sponsor the games. free food for all YAAAAAY!

2-1B
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
bell-cam, what are these wood posts you mentioned?

Jargo
08-12-2008, 07:09 PM
or fencing as in fencing stolen appropriated goods.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2008, 08:02 PM
rollerdiving. high board rollerskating. or rollerblading. water and skates. perfect mix.How about setting up one of those ski jumps and have people rollerblade off that. This would best be done on one of those steep streets in San Francisco.

electrified hurdles and high jump pole in the athletics events.I've always thought there should be full contact cross country running. On a more serious note, they should put regular cross country back on the program. It was last run in 1924, and was discontinued because of how brutal the conditions were. Record heat, difficult course and many sick and injured runners. This made Paavo Nurmi's performance all the more impressive.

instead of dressage and horse jumping. i'd have cross country rough house polo. anything goes and the object is to get the puck or ball or whatever from one side of town to the other and nobble your opponents while doing so. artful use of the mallet gets better scores.I like the horse jumping, but maybe they could change it up where people have to jump over horses.

kayaking would be replaced by white water rafting.Some of those canoe and kayak events are on white water, but I suppose it would be interesting to see the raft. Better yet, make it innertubing.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
New for 2008: The "Bang a Tranny Cat Doll and Not Get An STD" relay event.

Jargo
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
no i wouldn't watch that. there again there's plenty other events i'd get off o... find enjoyment in.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2008, 08:32 PM
In college I heard that some people did a "beer mile." Run a quarter, drink a beer, run a quarter, drink a beer, etc. Don't think I'd want to try that myself.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
They can add the "Century Club" challenge. 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes.

Jargo
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
ale quaffing. sure they did that in ancient Greek olympic tent villages.

TeeEye7
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
We interrupt this lively discussion for something totally useless:

The commercial seen incessantly during Olympic coverage promoting McDonald's new chicken sandwich was filmed at our local junior college. That's our stadium, track, and swimming pool.

Now, back to you, Cappy....

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Now, back to you, Cappy....
Thanks, TI.

How about we bring back tug o' war, but play it with the wound intestines of the loser of the ale quaffing competition. The scent of blood and the sloshing of quarts of stale beer would add to the ambiance of the event, which will be held in a metal pole barn with a broken thermostat. A live performance by the Trannycat Dolls will be included with admission.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Gymnastics used to include a rope climb long, long ago.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2008, 11:02 PM
You know, all we have to do is move the Olympic coverage to FOX instead of NBC, and all your new events dreams will come true, including:

- Temptation Steeplechase
- My Big, Fat, Obnoxious Shotputer
- Medals Idol: The Reveal Show
- When Equestrian Horses Attack
- So You Think You Can Vault?
- Are You Smaller Than a Gymnast?
- Refs (like Cops but dealing with angry, rulebreaking athletes)

Jargo
08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
pole vaults should be like pogo sticks. less running and more bouncing up and down to get the momentum to bounce over the horizontal pole.

a clackers event would be good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackers

or endurance Twister.

weightless table tennis/ping pong.

1000 meter egg and spoon relay

tag team bungee.

extreme pancake frisbee.

should i stop?

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I guess on a more "serious" note, Michael Phelps is pretty much awesome. I happened to catch his butterfly (I think) event last night and the dude makes it look so simple.

Oh, and during an interview he confirmed his awesomeness by describing his average breakfast: 3 Sandwiches of fried eggs, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried onions, and mayo. One omelete, a bowl of grits, 3 slices of french toast with powdered sugar, and wash that down with 3 chocolate chip pancakes.

I wish my body looked like that on a 8,000-10,000 calorie/day diet.

Blue2th
08-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Those Woman's Freestyle girls sure looked manly.
There was one girl from an Eastern European country who had hairy armpits.
While the men shave theirs.

Jargo
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think athletes like michael phelps belong in the olympics. when you know an athlete is going to take the gold it gets boring. take out the prime athletes and shove them in a super league. leave the olympics to the triers, not knowing who will win is far better.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Those Woman's Freestyle girls sure looked manly.
There was one girl from an Eastern European country who had hairy armpits.
While the men shave theirs.Well, to be fair, one of our women's (girls?) gymnasts had a neck wider than an NFL fullback's. Geez! :eek:

Simply because it's been on with no other events, I've been sucked into synchronized diving a bit. Only due to the difficulty of doing something the same in just a few seconds.

Phelps is breaking world records, too. So it's not just will he win the gold, it's also what will the time be. Quite impressive.

What sports do you want to see? For me, it'd be:
- track & field (teaser to leave this until the end of the Games, specifically the 100, 200, mile, high jump, steeplechase, javelin, & decathlon)
- archery (c'mon! a weapon from a bygone age... except with souped-up bows, they're like the new Speedo suit I guess)
- handball (I've heard it's fast)
- basketball (I admit it)
- swimming (I didn't think I would, but I do)
- gymnastics (really just rings, uneven bars, & vault)
- volleyball (both types)

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 12:20 PM
What sports do you want to see?
-Baseball
-Women's beach volleyball (yes, for that reason)
-Shooting events
-The last little bit of the final decathlon, so I can see all the white dudes get leg cramps and vomit while the Ethiopians look on as if to say, "n00b".

Blue2th
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Well we can always wait for the Winter Olympics and see the exciting Shuffleboard event, or is that called Curling?

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Well we can always wait for the Winter Olympics and see the exciting Shuffleboard event, or is that called Curling?
In all seriousness, I love curling. I only have a basic understanding of it, but I watch it during the Olympics and on CBC on Saturday afternoons before Hockey Night in Canada.

Blue2th
08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
In all seriousness, I love curling. I only have a basic understanding of it, but I watch it during the Olympics and on CBC on Saturday afternoons before Hockey Night in Canada.

I kinda figured you would like it, being a Hockey fan. Just threw that out there because it's an odd sport, and yeah I've actually played shuffleboard. lol

I recently saw them make the special granite curling pucks (?) on "How it's Made"
Pretty interesting.

Rocketboy
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I guess on a more "serious" note, Michael Phelps is pretty much awesome. I happened to catch his butterfly (I think) event last night and the dude makes it look so simple.

Oh, and during an interview he confirmed his awesomeness by describing his average breakfast: 3 Sandwiches of fried eggs, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried onions, and mayo. One omelete, a bowl of grits, 3 slices of french toast with powdered sugar, and wash that down with 3 chocolate chip pancakes.

I wish my body looked like that on a 8,000-10,000 calorie/day diet.Maybe you should do like I do - eat that much just in case you decide to go swimming.

Blue2th
08-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't think athletes like michael phelps belong in the olympics. when you know an athlete is going to take the gold it gets boring. take out the prime athletes and shove them in a super league. leave the olympics to the triers, not knowing who will win is far better.

You mean like the USA Olympic Basketball team with NBA players and the tallest Chinaman I've ever seen that nobody has prayer against? lol

Rocketboy
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Ummm...isn't the entire point of the Olympics to prove you're the best in the world?

Not allowing Michael Phelps in the Olympics would be like telling Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong or Wayne Gretzky they shouldn't have competed.

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Gymnast/jailbait Alicia Sacramone is now just as famous for losing a gold medal for other sweet, sweet jailbait deserving gymnasts as she is for knocking some dude out. (http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=10651)

2-1B
08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
She should have punched him in the junk.

Blue2th
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Gymnast/jailbait Alicia Sacramone is now just as famous for losing a gold medal for other sweet, sweet jailbait deserving gymnasts as she is for knocking some dude out. (http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=10651)

I want her :love:

That part about the Chinese team on the bottom is hilarious:

She should do this to the Chinese too. Or maybe not. Maybe it's bad enough they have to wear those bight red and yellow uniforms. I saw one dude who had spiky blond hair. He looked like a large order of McDonalds french fries. So suck on that, China.

DarthQuack
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM

That was awesome.

Qui-Long Gone
08-14-2008, 03:13 PM
That was awesome.

This is why America is the greatest nation EVAR.

JON9000
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Alicia Sac is 20! I always feel bad for somebody, anybody, when they fall off the beam. We'll see what happens during the individual all around competition. The sixteen year old chick, Shawn something, is pretty awesome, but I have to root for Alicia to get some redemption. I wonder, though, if she were to win the gold would her mates be thinking, "why couldn't you have shown up like that during the team events?"

CaptainSolo1138
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Alicia Sac is 20!I actually looked that up after I posted that yesterday and saw that she was legal +2. Thanks, though.

Tycho
08-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Nick and I watched from a beach bar as our team kicked butt in Women's Volleyball tonight. Besides our girls looking better than the Beligian girls, they also played better and racked up another win.

DarthQuack
08-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Are any of the gymnasts on the countdown clock yet?

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Nick and I watched from a beach bar as our team kicked butt in Women's Volleyball tonight. Besides our girls looking better than the Beligian girls, they also played better and racked up another win.

huhhuhhu....You said racked:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Yikes. Ain't feelin' it, bro. She's got that typical, squatty bull dyke physique and a neck like a Cardassian. :alien:Holy crap. You're my new best friend.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Finally, some T&F on TV. The 1,500m is just right: not SO fast as a sprint, but not the how-many-laps-until-the-halfway-mark? long distance.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Finally, some T&F on TV. The 1,500m is just right: not SO fast as a sprint, but not the how-many-laps-until-the-halfway-mark? long distance.
Good thing Lagat made the top 5, he ended up in the slow heat. I was just looking at the results and Rashid Ramzi of Bahrain ran 3:32.89 in his heat. That's almost an Olympic record in the first round. He won by nearly two seconds, so he could have eased up a bit. All three Americans advanced though (and two of the Canadians).

I've held off on looking at the women's 10,000 results until I see how much NBC shows tonight, if any. I didn't check CBC's coverage.

Jargo
08-16-2008, 09:43 AM

i was so not thinking track and field as i read that. i need to get my mind out of the gutter. :yes:

DarthQuack
08-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Phelps with another amazing finish....My brother and I were watching, I can't believe he came back those last 20 meters to win, and by one-one-hundredth of a second!

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Can you imagine the spawn were Michael Phelps and Dreamboat to mate? That kid would be like Aquaman and Lando Calrissian all in one.

Blue2th
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Yikes. Ain't feelin' it, bro. She's got that typical, squatty bull dyke physique and a neck like a Cardassian. :alien:

Plus those leapity, flippity gymnasts are just annoying anyway.

Yeah but I like those sweet jailbait Cardassians. They can leap, and flip on me any day.

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah but I like those sweet jailbait Cardassians. They can leap, and flip on me any day.
Aw, c'mon man. Chloe looks more manly than me and Kim is essentially a urinal with more herpes. The rest of them are anything but attractive as well.

I'd give the usual "I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire" joke, but I think it would be fun to do that just so they have to inhale my pee steam. Over privileged celebutards...

Blue2th
08-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Aw, c'mon man. Chloe looks more manly than me and Kim is essentially a urinal with more herpes. The rest of them are anything but attractive as well.

I'd give the usual "I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire" joke, but I think it would be fun to do that just so they have to inhale my pee steam. Over privileged celebutards...

Oh, then they're not sweet jailbait? ok :)

I still like a girl who can knock a guy out literally and figuratively though. :yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I didn't feel like staying up for the late night segment, so I recorded it and watched this morning. I wish they would have showed a bit more of the 10,000, but at least I got to see Shalane Flanagan set an American record in getting the bronze. An impressive performance, especially considering she was sick with food poisoning or something earlier in the week.

All three Americans made it to the semis in the 400H. Defending champ Felix Sánchez was not in good form and failed to advance.

With Carolina Klüft of Sweden focusing only on the Long Jump, Hyleas Fountain of the U.S.A. has a chance for the gold.

Of course, the highlight of track this weekend is the 100m. World Champ Tyson Gay may not be 100% after his Olympic Trials injury in the 200. He advanced to the semis though. World Record holder Usain Bolt of Jamaica looks like the man to beat as he looked like he was jogging while recording 9.92 in the quarterfinals. His countryman and former world record holder Asafa Powell also looked good in his heat. All three Americans advanced.

A bit of disappointment for the U.S. in the Shot Put. They had the talent to sweep. However, Adam Nelson fouled all his attempts, and Reese Hoffa managed to place only 7th. Christian Cantwell came through on his last throw to take the silver. That knocked Canadian Dylan Armstrong out of the medals to 4th place, though he did set a Canadian record.

UKWildcat
08-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Michael Phelps is a monster!!! I tried to draft him in my Fantasy Football league, but they wouldn't let me. :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Michael Phelps is so awesome that he went 3-4 tonight for the Rockies tonight all the way from Beijing. I also heard that he once got a double on a hit by pitch.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2008, 03:07 AM
An impressive feat, no doubt. However, he was lucky on that 100 Butterfly, and three of his golds were on the relays. It will be a long time before anyone equals his performance.

As for monster performances, Usain Bolt set the world record in the 100 meters and was celebrating the last 15 or 20 meters. That was just nuts. An effing 9.69 and .2 ahead of 2nd place. I think that was the best 100 of all time, with six under 10 seconds, and 8th place being 10.03.

RUSHBOY
08-17-2008, 03:14 AM
An impressive feat, no doubt. However, he was lucky on that 100 Butterfly, and three of his golds were on the relays. It will be a long time before anyone equals his performance.

As for monster performances, Usain Bolt set the world record in the 100 meters and was celebrating the last 15 or 20 meters. That was just nuts. An effing 9.69 and .2 ahead of 2nd place. I think that was the best 100 of all time, with six under 10 seconds, and 8th place being 10.03.

That was amazing and he kept running all the way to where his mom was and gave her a hug !! :laugh: We can now call him the Flash !

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2008, 03:40 AM
That was amazing and he kept running all the way to where his mom was and gave her a hug !! :laugh: We can now call him the Flash !
Too late. They already call him "Lightning", as in Usain Lightning Bolt.

DarthQuack
08-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Chuck Norris bows to Michael Phelps.

El Chuxter
08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Some say Michael Phelps is half man, half bear. Polar bear, of course. A grizzly can't swim like that.

Blue2th
08-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Aquaman bows to Michael Phelps. Though don't they call him that?

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Aquaman bows to Michael Phelps.
Dude, Aquaman bows to everyone. Can you do something cooler than talk to seahorses? I think simply being able to get up in the morning is a far greater task.

Blue2th
08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Dude, Aquaman bows to everyone. Can you do something cooler than talk to seahorses? I think simply being able to get up in the morning is a far greater task.

Yeah but he can ride those seahorses, command the sharks, whales, seals, octopussies, fight the Black Manta, and have a sidekick in tights Aqualad.

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah but he can ride those seahorses, command the sharks, whales, seals, octopussies, fight the Black Manta, and have a sidekick in tights Aqualad.I'll just make sure all of my nefarious super villian plots take place on dry land.

Rocketboy
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah but he can ride those seahorses, command the sharks, whales, seals, octopussies, fight the Black Manta, and have a sidekick in tights Aqualad.I think you just proved Cappy's point.

Blue2th
08-17-2008, 04:38 PM
They are calling Michael Phelps Aquaman http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=gallery&gallery_id=52424&provider_id=714

jjreason
08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Even I have to admit that Phelps and Usain Bolt are INCREDIBLE, once-in-a-lifetime sports stories. Bolt in the finals was uncanny... I really hope we don't have another Ben Johnson situation in the upcoming months.

JON9000
08-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I still like a girl who can knock a guy out literally and figuratively though. :yes:

Have you seen this vid? Are you sure you want a piece of this action?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QA6s7p-zU8

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Have you seen this vid? Are you sure you want a piece of this action?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QA6s7p-zU8
:mad::mad::mad:;)

Blue2th
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
:mad::mad::mad:;)

Hey Capn' you wanna do this thing all over again as in rewind? lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Capn' you wanna do this thing all over again as in rewind? lolI would, but there's already the possibility that Chris Hansen may be already taking record of my posts here. Better let sleeping dogs lie.

EDIT: Hold the goddamn phone. I have an even bigger bone to pick with you JON! How is it possible that you forgot about this (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=633296&postcount=85) and this (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=633296&postcount=86)! :D

JON9000
08-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I tried to open up your link to see if it was the same, but it triggered my workplace internet pervert alert, so what could I do!? :eek:

CaptainSolo1138
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I tried to open up your link to see if it was the same, but it triggered my workplace internet pervert alert, so what could I do!? :eek:
I'll let it slide. We don't need Chris Hansen looking for two of us.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
A good day for the U.S. yesterday. A big surprise was Stephanie Brown-Trafton winning the Discus. It wasn't a particularly long throw as it was the shortest winning throw since 1968, and the last time a throw that short won a medal was 1984. Still, she came through and all the favorites did not. In fact, a lot of them didn't even make the final.

Jennifer Stuczynski won a silver in the pole vault, losing only to Russia's Yelena Isinbaeva, who set yet another world record of 5.05m (16' 6 3/4" by my calculation, I forgot what it said on TV, and the official results only list metric).

No Americans in the Long Jump final. Irving Saladino gave Panama a gold with his winning jump of 8.34m (27' 4 1/4"). No real long jumps in that competition.

The 3000m steeplechase wasn't super fast either. Not unexpectedly, Kenya dominated, with Brimin Kipruto winning in 8:10.34. They also had 3rd and 7th place.

Kenya took the top two places in the women's 800 with 18 year old Pamelo Jelimo setting a world junior record of 1:54.87, making her the 6th all time performer. If she continues to improve, maybe Jarmila Kratochvilova's record of 1:53.38 from 1983 will finally be broken. Also the end of an era as Maria Mutola of Mozambique finished 5th in her sixth Olympic games.

The day ended with the U.S. going 1-2-3 in the men's 400 meter hurdles. Angelo Taylor, the 2000 champ, won in 47.25, followed by Kerron Clement (47.98) and Bershawn "Batman" Jackson (48.06).

On tap today, finals in the men's long jump, discus and 1500m, and women's 400m and 110m Hurdles. Unfortunately, no American's made the final of the men's 1500, including world champion and two time Olympic medalist Bernard Lagat.

CaptainSolo1138
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
The Olympics have been quite anti-climactic now that Phelps is done. With the exception of basketball (which is shoved down my throat every morning via ESPN) it seems everyone has forgotten about them.

And if anyone is interested in joining the greatest Facebook group ever (at least in name only), check my profile for the one I most recently joined.:D

2-1B
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
did you join the "Gangly Swimmer Appreciation Group" ?

Jargo
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
awwwwww our baby diver Tom Dailey is doing his final dives tomorrow bless him. Maybe by the next Olympics he'll have stopped looking so - how can i put this politely - 'metrosexual'.

he's a cracking little diver but the attention he's getting is going to overshadow and eclipse his abilities if he isn't careful. Still. at least the male athletes aren't all plug ugly like the women on our team. Never seen so many mooses and warthogs in my life!

Blue2th
08-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Don't forget the Aardvaarks.

Jargo
08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I think the Aardvaarks were down the lycra bodysuits the track and fiels athletes were wearing. could swear i saw long snouts moving around......

DarthQuack
08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I've been happy with all I watched this year, mostly the first week was the best, but that's just how it goes sometimes.....really looking forward to Vancouver in a year and a half for the Winter Games...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2008, 11:29 AM
So, with the Games winding down, what events did you enjoy watching, which did you avoid that you wished you hadn't, or which did not want to watch but did and ended up liking?

For me, the sprints were a bit of a downer, and softball wasn't that great. For some reason, rowing was on a lot (okay), beach volleyball was "asthetically pleasing" (:D), men's basketball was okay, surprisingly I got into diving (also on a lot) and fencing, and swimming was an obligation to watch apparently. Disappointed in the coverage of the field part of track & field, :mad: but ping pong was alright. I quickly changed the channel for wrestling, equestrian, or tennis; never saw yachting (glad to miss it). Wished they showed tai kwon do [sp?], field hockey, or decathlon.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Vancouver is just across the border from me, but I don't have any plans on going. A lot of the outdoor events would be kind of hard to be a spectator I would think. Maybe seeing some hockey would be good. I've never been to a hockey game before.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2008, 11:44 AM
So, with the Games winding down, what events did you enjoy watching, which did you avoid that you wished you hadn't, or which did not want to watch but did and ended up liking?

For me, the sprints were a bit of a downer, and softball wasn't that great. For some reason, rowing was on a lot (okay), beach volleyball was "asthetically pleasing" (:D), men's basketball was okay, surprisingly I got into diving (also on a lot) and fencing, and swimming was an obligation to watch apparently. Disappointed in the coverage of the field part of track & field, :mad: but ping pong was alright. I quickly changed the channel for wrestling, equestrian, or tennis; never saw yachting (glad to miss it). Wished they showed tai kwon do [sp?], field hockey, or decathlon.The sprints were great, just not for the U.S.A. They never do give much coverage to the field events, just highlights. That 1992 Olympic Triplecast is still the best Track & Field coverage we've ever had on TV. The on-screen guide on my cable TV had a couple instances where it said certain events were going to be on, but were not. One was the men's 1500m final, and last night's women's 5000m final. I can understand that the 1500 could have been cut out in favor of something else since no American made the final, but I think all three Americans were in the women's 5000m final. I should have been watching CBC more, but I wasn't sure of how their schedule was set up for track & field. During the World Championships when there aren't any other sports to cover, I usually do watch CBC instead.

Jargo
08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
some very partisan points awarding this time. one of our martial arts lads was treated very unfairly in that respect with the judges favouring the local boy almost exclusively. twas a shameful sham. the boaty water sports were dull as watching jello set. and the equestrian events made me want to borrow a rifle from the sharp shooters to cull all those over priviledged ladida hooray henry types. the triple barrel name ones. ivy leaguers.

didn't think much to the cycling. or the long distance running. think beach volleyball should stay on the beach as fun not an olympic sport.

thought the diving and equipment based gymnastics were the best part of the games. artistic gymnastics makes my skin crawl for some reason. seems more like a spoilt brat show off event than a sport.

coverage here has been better than normal. still doesn't show us the many competitors and is completely partisan. however with the advent of digital tv at least now we can choose which events to watch.

and it's been cool seeing some upcoming talent instead of the usual limelight hoggers and medal hoarders. I was chuffed that our Paula radcliffe was left flagging behind in her long distance run event. it's time that particular freaky head bobber retired. the olympic games are about winning for the team and country not personal gain. as soon as an athlete starts making it an entirely personal thing the games lose their joy and it's no longer entertaining.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I was chuffed that our Paula radcliffe was left flagging behind in her long distance run event. it's time that particular freaky head bobber retired. the olympic games are about winning for the team and country not personal gain. as soon as an athlete starts making it an entirely personal thing the games lose their joy and it's no longer entertaining.Considering all she went through in the past year, she did pretty well to finish. I would still like to see her win an Olympic medal. If she is still doing well in four years, that would be perfect since the games will be in London. When I first saw her years ago, I didn't think much of her because of not just the head bobbing, but the long socks. However, I ended up rooting for her more and more over the years. She would come into the Olympics or World Championships with one of the top times, only to lose out on the medals as the Ethiopians and others would outkick her. Didn't matter whether she ran with the pack or tried to run the kick out of them. Not being a strong finisher myself, I identified with that. So it was good to see her have success when she moved up to the marathon and set the world record and win a world championship.

Jargo
08-24-2008, 10:53 AM
well the closing ceremonies were amazing. aside from the UK's 8 minute shambles that is. the 2012 games are being held in london but london is not the be all and end all of the UK so using a red bus was far too egocentric of the organisers. and really, is a bus stop representative of the UK? how lame.

Boris johnson embarrassed us by being his usual bumbling oaf self. scruffy and clueless. I mean the least he could do for the official handover of the Olympic flag when being watched by bilions of people around the globe is to button up his jacket and look smart and efficient. still, at least he didn't have to speak. thank heavens for small mercies.

there's no way London can put on ceremonies of the scale China has. for a start, no-one in this country can muster the same energy the chinese do. we're far too indolent as a nation. Indolent and flabby.

the best we can hope for is that the venues are completed on time and the athletes village passes muster. we have enough to worry about with transport problems and security without having to put on a spectacle. the dowdy dull and flat opening ceremony of the Manchester Comonwealth games was sheer embarassment. though I expect a crowd of pearly kings and queens to show up in the london 2012 ceremony somewhere. cockney knees up style display. with little representation of Wales, Scotland or Ireland. I'd like to be optimistic but previous large scale events have proven that the UK can't do massive public displays. Organisers just lack the creativity and imagination.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-26-2008, 01:33 AM

I pretty much watched the majority of sports including some lesser popular ones such as equestrian, sabre, kayaking, race-walking, syncrohnized swimming, badminton, and trampoline. I wanted to see archery and shooting but I must have missed the airings (I do realize I can view them online).

Living near the Canadian border, let me watch much of the games live on CBC, late at night, unlike NBC which tape delayed many of the events.

USA Volleyball ought to be a proud. For a sport that has been lately dominated by the Brazilians, Chinese, or Russians, the Americans captured 3 out of 4 golds available in the different events, with the indoor women, picking up a silver (Kristen Walsh has succulent legs, that's another story).

My favorite event to watch was probably one of the most boring to some; the marathon. It is 2 hours plus of watching people run, but run with a purpose. Running to test the limits of their body, running until it looks like they are going to vomit their lungs out, running until a race official comes to put them out of their misery. This year's marathon was ran in near 90 degree heat with high humidity, and the Kenyan who won, looked like he could have run another; he was that good. He set an Olympic record, despite the conditions, and took an early lead that he never relinquished.

China, with its lousy human rights records, resource sucking polluted economy, and out of control thought police, deserves credit for all the pomp and pageantry of the games. The opening and closing ceremonies were like Hollywood blockbuster productions that were sensory overload. Look forward to the Vancouver games in 18 months.

TeeEye7
08-26-2008, 02:04 AM
My favorite event to watch was probably one of the most boring to some; the marathon.

A man after my own heart. To me, the marathon is the Olympics along with the decathlon.

Nice call, LBC! :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2008, 02:31 AM
What bothered me about NBC's marathon coverage is that they kept going to the commercial before the mile splits would show where the Americans were. Given the conditions, they ran good times and managed to place well, 9th and 10th. Most other Olympics their times would have earned a medal. I recall 1984 when there was worry about the heat and smog of L.A., but Carlos Lopes went out and set the Olympic record that lasted until this year.

DarthQuack
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I still idolize Michael Phelps and want to be him.

TeeEye7
02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
You forgot to end your post with a smilie :smoker:

2-1B
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
or a gangly face. :Ogre: