PDA

View Full Version : A vague thread for random lego musings.

Jargo
08-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I just can't stop buying Lego. even when i'm out of cash I find myself making a purchase or ten on ebay. though being honest, that avenue is fast closing down as more and more people quit using the site and ebay make it harder and harder to find anything with their ridiculous search options multi-menu.

anyhoo. I mainly buy lots of single colour parts or special parts. usually with a build plan in mind. but i always get distracted by ebay shops and all the other items in a sellers lego section. I always end up buying loads of parts i didn't think i wanted until i spotted the items for sale. for example, i was looking for city ambulances and fire trucks and ended up getting a load of mini figs and other city vehicles too. i intended to spend about 40 and ended up spending 140. that's about $80 and $280.

i'm not whining at all. what I've bought is great. means my lego city streets will look a lot fuller and i've almost got a complete set of emergency services. (someone is buying me the 7945 fire station soon) and I'm waiting to see if LEGO can come up with a decent hospital set. the last one was absolutely dire. and someone should tell LEGO that using red on medical stuff is supposed to be bad luck. the red represents blood and death. which is why it's normally green or blue that's used in hospitals. red is usually reserved for the fire service.

be that as it may, and getting back to my train of thought, I only noticed my weird spending habit yesterday. and no matter how much Lego i buy there's always tons more i want. i could spend thousands on the stuff and still not be satisfied. though that wouldn't be hard, spending thousands i mean, any sort of lego is pricey. old new or fake. I'm just glad some people don't behave like arses (and mark up goods stupidly high) so there are still some bargains to be found.

I like bargains. a little too much..... :thumbsup:

Jargo
08-11-2008, 06:44 AM
managed to find the two vehicles from the cargo train deluxe set on ebay. bits still in the bags and all virgin fresh lego. I was balking at the thought of buying the set to get the vehicles but now i have them. so i bought two of the red roadster and one of the blue flatback truck. Woo! got the yellow car and black motorbike from the recent gas filling station set. same dealio, all virgin fresh. I'm after the cargo container truck from the city harbour set and the blue car from the creator town house next.

wish lego would do some vehicles in green or dark orange or whatever. be nice to get some variety on the roads. too many white and red vehicles.

Also picked up other city stuff:
Cement mixer truck
mail van x2
street cleaner truck
fire engine (not sure if I bought 1 or 2 of these. got lost with the amount of emails firing at me from ebay.)
ambulance x2
doctor's car
green trial bike x2 (batman - banes hideout)
grey trial bike (indiana jones)
purple motorbike (batman)
cargo truck & forklift
bunch of minifigs of varying profession.
load of dark orange roof slopes

DarthQuack
08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I always like the woodsmen or whatever they were back in the late 80s early 90s, I remember getting them and the Wolfpack....Ice Planet was cool too, IMO :P

I still wouldn't mind having one of the monorail sets one of these days.

Jargo
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I thought about putting a monorail into my city, but decided to go for buses instead. seen some cool stuff done by other folks thast have inspired me. think i want to do them in bright red and pale lemon yellow. partly because red window frames are easy to come by but partly because it's the colours of the buses where i grew up.

I might try and get an overhead railway in. I want a railway but can't figure out how best to do it so it doesn't wind all over the place. overhead provides some interesting height and texture though. downside is trying to design the support structure. brick arches or steel girders?

see, i'm not the sort of person who can just shove a building here and there and be satisfied. when i say i'm building a city i mean a city. buildings with four walls and none of the shortcuts taken that Lego make when they put together a set.

ok i'm not actually building anything right now, just collecting together all the parts and pieces i need. the emergency and support services will go in first, then the banks and businesses, then the entertainment/retail industries, then parks and gardens and finally residential. If there's room i'll shove in a river and port and an airport. and somewhere in among it will be a filthy polluting factory with an outlet of waste that runs into the river which will explain why my river will have no fish.

i'm really liking the orange ship in the coastguard range at the moment. much better colour for a boat than the blue in the city 'dock' harbour set. loving the look of the minifig trial bike from the coastguard theme, in orange. orange rocks, it really does.

LusiferSam
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi, I'm LusiferSam and I'm a Lego manic. I don't remember a time when I didn't have or like legos. I played with Duplos for years and had a time of Basic sets and a Space set. But then I was given the Battering Ram (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6062) for my birthday in 1988. That was the tripping point. Since that time my collection has grown from under 10 sets to about 6% of the total number of known sets. I've out grown the space I have to display them years ago. I only have a fraction of my sets out. A good size of the them are stored away in zip lock bags.

Castle is still one of my favorite themes and I have more Castle sets then any other theme. I've most of these sets. Currently my collecting (ie eBay) efforts are on finding this missing sets. Which are a total pain because they are small (under a 100 elements) and rare. Last year I picked up a key set 1917 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1917). With this set I have everything from 1984-1996. I'm currently looking for 6031 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6031). I want it MIB, but it's hard to find. There's one I'm not sure what I'm going to do about. The problem is nobody (including Lego) seems to know much about.

Pirate is the only theme that really can revel Castle for my favorite theme. I've got of the these (System, not the 4+ junk). When the theme ended in '97 there were only 8 sets I had to track down. Hard, but not to hard. Currently I'm buying more soldiers (mostly red, but few blue). I'm planning on building a large fort based on the Imperial Trading Post (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6277).

I have a few Town/City sets. I was never to into Town. Some Space sets, mostly Blacktron and M:Tron. A lot Star Wars (of course) sets. A good number Technic and Adventure sets. And the rest are just what I thought looked cool or were given.

Jargo
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
my collection is very mixed. some space, some adventurers, some castle, lots of town and city, a tiny amount of exoforce and bionicle, some technic and tons of stuff bought from ebay that's just basic building blocks.

i bought my first town set back in 1980. prior to that i'd been given lego only at xmas and birthdays and then it was always the small pocket money sets. the first set i bought was a motorbike with a third wheel and above is was a sort of parcel shelf affair. it was yellow and blue and came with a minifig but i've never managed to find the set number or a reference to it on lugnet or peeron etc.

I didn't start buying big sets until the late 80's. and owing to fundage problems I had to wait for the stores sales to get clearance stuff. then i got together with my partner and did the usual getting rid of childish things routine and I packed up all my lego in tubs and hid it away. it was only when i started coming here to SSG and reading lego threads that i realised how much I'd missed out on and really got into buying sets. I'm still on a limited budget of course, and my foray into star wars action figure collecting seriously cut into my lego budget, but now that's reversed and lego is my priority. interestingly star wars lego has never interested me. I find the sets really dull and bland. and all the movie tie in themes are overpriced so i avoid them and only buy loose parts from ebay if i like them.

I don't use bricklink because i don't trust the site. tell me a hundred good news tales about shopping there but it just doesn't suit me. and i've been lucky enough to find everything i want on ebay over time. I find that with lego having the patience of a mountain helps. when you're trying to amass a decent amount of a certain part.

it's also been a right downer not to have a lego shop anywhere near me. think the closest one is 100 miles away. if there had been one locally i would have been in debt to the tune of thousands by now. how anyone can resist the brick wall (wall of bricks?) is beyond me. pick and mix lego is the best idea since...... pick and mix candy.

incidentally, do any lego reps read these lego threads? is there a process for suggesting a particular brick to the Lego people? that would actually be a great tool for their website. design a brick. say stick a minimum brick amount on orders and you can only submit a design if you're going to buy it. but allow people to create a brick to suit their needs. like say a half circle finishing tile. or a 1x4 finishing tile with bevelled edges to match the vehicle roof/hood piece and finish the flattened end off. or a 2x2 tringular brick for doing small angled corners. useful for constructing buildings. that sort of thing.
or maybe lego could do it as a competition. I dunno. just seemed like a good idea. reduce the frustration of never having that one part you desperately need......

Jargo
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I was mucking around with an image or two and recoloured as approximately as I can, four of the lego cars.

got me thinking how cool it would be to have a lego car showroom on their site where you can pick the colour of the car before you order it. and have some sticker sheets with stuff like wood panels and go faster stripes so you can further customise your car/vehicle. It'd be sweet for getting a fast swell on your city traffic. maybe not too many colours though.

here's my wee very rushed and not well done sample CLICK (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/1968monster/carmix.jpg)

Slicker
08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm definitely a town collector (and SW obviously). I always have been.

Jargo
08-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Only thing holding me back at the moment is funds. luckily my secret special someone who is moving up to my area from London soon is also a Lego fan. he wants to combine lego collections, (least I think that's what he meant), so my city might grow faster than anticipated.:p
I'm trying to teach him how to build things that aren't just house interiors that use up all the baseplates. and how to build in minifig scale. And not to use up all the dark red bricks and smooth tiles....

wish Lego would open a shop nearer to me though. there's a new mall being built in Liverpool that would be the perfect location for them.

Jargo
08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
damn, think I just got shafted on ebay. won the item then almost immediately the seller became an unregistered member. talk about take the money and run. only $24 but still crappy to lose anyway. grrrrrrr.

Jargo
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
spoke too soon the parcel arrived today. shame the seller isn't still registered on ebay oz now i can't leave feedback. oh well.

my partner seems to be getting worried about the size of my ambitions regarding my city. yesterday i had to wade through a barrage of questions about where it was all going to go and did i really need a whole fleet of ambulances and police vehicles. and just how many road baseplates did i really intend to buy.

my intention is to build the city on rolling tables and each edge will match up to any other edge so the city can be rebuilt and re-arranged in a modular way much like the buildings themselves. that way I'll never get bored of looking at the city as i can just move it all around to suit my mood.

I've not done any study into this but I'm hoping it'll work on some level even if i can't get the amount of permutations i want out of the baseplates. at the end of the day i know I'll have something i can move around and change to whatever degree is possible.

I've also decided not to use any sets as they were designed that pre-date 2000. using pieces is fine but no actual full sets. as fun as nostalgia is and and all that I want my city to feel modern and contemporary. making full use of the broad colour palette lego now provides us with. i've always hated the primary coloured bricks anyway. a house with blue walls and a bright red roof? c'mon! no way. make it dark/earth orange walls and a bley roof and then you're talking. tan and pale yellow and the sand colours. the dark colours and neutral colours. anything but primary.

EDIT

just thought, how cool it would be if someone produced a book with all the little master builder tricks in for connecting bricks in unusual and interesting ways. 'The joy of bricks' or something. I'm not very familiar with the technical side of Leo building and rarely think to use technical parts in a build so a book that points to shortcuts and ways to achieve better shape in constructions would be such a boon. maybe set out like a how to manual. like those magazines you get for woodworking. say show the trick in connecting certain pieces and then a page of picture examples where it works in sets. so not only do you get the know how you also get decent pictures of some of the fantastic MOC stuff out there. and a section on looking after your posture while building. Times I've almost cracked my spine hunched over for hours on end. dead legs and cramps from squatting on the floor trying to build something on the carpet.

I've never really been interested in a book full of lego's own sets I always prefer to see what other Lego nuts come up with from the parts in the official sets. I only ever build the official model once then break it apart and make something that better suits my needs.

and i still think Lego should do a zoo or safari park in minifig scale. I would so make it an adventure for Jonny Thunder or Indiana Jones.

LusiferSam
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
just thought, how cool it would be if someone produced a book with all the little master builder tricks in for connecting bricks in unusual and interesting ways.

You might try The Unofficial LEGO Builders' Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-LEGO-Builders-Guide/dp/1593270542/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a). I don't know if it's got everything, but it's a good place to start. I saw an e-book on build techniques on LUGNET a number of years ago. I looked, but couldn't find it.

Changing gears, I was going to talk a bit about my collection. A couple of pieces that I've very proud of are: the Black Seas Barracuda (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6285), the Yellow Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6075_2), Black Falcon's Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074) and Forbidden Island (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6270). Ok Forbidden Island is an odd one to have on that list, but my came with a rare US shooting cannon, not a European shooting cannon. I also really like rare or unique parts. The black sword, gray chest, the falcon and lion flags and the red, blue and yellow 1x3 arch. All rare or unique items.

The oldest sets I have are the Yellow Castle, Knight's Tournament and Knight's Procession. Which for their US release is '81, not '78. There's a few older sets I'd like to get, but older sets are a bit tricky. Lego sets as we know them today did come into being until the late 70's and which what we recognize as a Lego set late 60's. The first true set was of course released in '58. I do have some older bricks with the old logo on them. And I bought was couple of the old style cars. I think mine are from the 60's.

Also I'm purest. I have zero tolerance for non Lego brand bricks. I've had mega junk before and it sucks. If I see the stuff in my collection I throw it away. Some eBay and bricklink seller will slip the stuff sometimes. I also believe in never cutting, gluing or modifying my brick in any way, shape or form.

Jargo
08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Interesting point regarding mega bloks. I occasionally like one of their pieces. say, something like the oriental window panel from POTC singapore escape (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418c8TtK%2B6L._SS400_.jpg) which might not be the best solution to creating a chinese restaurant for my city but is the best option that saves me having to create graphics and then make stickers. or the little green fern that comes in the pyrates and POTC sets. the bricks themselves i don't much like.

And i have my eye on the kraken (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51upcXGQQcL._SS400_.jpg) because i really want to do a 1950's B movie vignette with some military minifigs and use some of the excellent weapon accessories made by Brickarms.

for the most part I'm a believer in using only Lego parts though. Sometimes megbloks or Brick or some other imitator will create stuff like chromed pieces which are hard to resist.

cutting and glueing bricks? can't say i've ever seen that or been tempted to. only time I've ever permanently attached bricks is with stickers over more than one. the classic lego with the paper stickers made it very hard to separate bricks and impossible to remove all the glue on the back of the sticker that seemed to weld itself to the plastic. the new plastic stickers have much better gum on the back and peel off fine.

i'd like to see lego do a sticker pack though with vehicle number plates and things like go faster stripes. some minifig torso designs and store front signs etc. There's guys who make their own but they rarely match the same quality as officially produced designs.

Jargo
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
saw this article linked to on www.brickset.com, thought it was interesting if a little short. nice pictures with the article though.

http://www.wallpaper.com/art/the-lego-minifigure-turns-30/2592

Jargo
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
ok been surfing the net looking for interesting pics of MOC's. buildings and stuff. clever little design motifs and anything that just looks 'neat'. google searches often lead to brickshelf galleries and you see stuff and think my god, do these people have no life? and then admire their skill at making a few blocks magically turn into something of beauty.
i did stumble across one guy who cuts and glues bricks. his gallery pics all look great until he does macro shots and you can see how many mangled pieces there are. glued together very badly. and it's shocking and horrific.

and then you look at the knock off lego stuff out there. and some of the pieces are quite cool. and you think, why not just buy cheap knock off lego for interesting parts rather than hack up perfectly good genuine lego? or buy the cheap stuff and hack that apart.

I've seen some chinese brick sets featuring riot police. i'm so gonna buy them coz the thought of having riot police in my city amuses me. i'll only use the flak jackets and headgear. use regular Lego minifigs as the police. but the flak jackets are nifty and the head gear has a gas mask built into it. and they come with night sticks. get some guns from Brickarms and some shields from Brickforge and lob police stickers on the shields. perfect. well slightly less than perfect but ok. just need to mod a prisoner transport van with cages over the windshield and maybe make it a black van rather than white. shove a couple of stickers on the van and i'm all set to tackle the next pro-flesh colour minifigs rally.

Jargo
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
placed a couple of orders with stores on bricklink. I've shied away from the site because it seemed way too fiddly. it's not soo bad though. of course the more i poke around stores the more i want to spend. and right now is not a good time for me. so I guess i'll be leaving lego alone for a couple of months.
I have finally figured out a method to my madness though. having to be very strongwilled to follow the method but it does seem to be working. and the method is so simple I feel completely dumb for not approaching my project this way properly before. I just pick a city service or business and then only buy stuff pertaining to that particular mini project. so simple. I was too busy trying to see a whole city i was getting lost in my own thoughts and desires and now i can do it in chunks and actually end up building my city faster.

it amazes me how dense i can be sometimes.

LusiferSam
03-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Every once in a while I get a bug for old Lego sets. By old I mean pre 1978. I bought a lot of off eBay last week. The seller labeled the lot as 310 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/310_1) with some spare parts. What it was mostly spare parts. The Motorized Truck isn't that big a set and was about a third of it was missing, including the motor and battery pack (which I knew before I bought it). But I found a number of other sets mixed in the spares. They include a Police Car (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/420_1), Biplane (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/430_1), Steam Shove (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/730_1) and what must me on of the ugliest sets I've ever owned 195 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/195). There be others but I'm tired of look at this point.

Now all of these sets are incomplete, which is a giant pain. While I have most of the rare elements (which is how I id the set to begin with) I'm missing the "common" pieces. The problem is sets of that era would have the old style of many common elements and many of these aren't easy to find. Oh well, guess it gives me something to look for.

Ji'dai
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I built the Pirate set 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty this morning. Cool ship, a lot bigger and taller than I expected, though not quite as nice as the classic pirate ships Black Seas Barricuda and Skull's Eye Schooner.

The set came with a mermaid (ship's figurehead) and the new shark, both new elements in my collection. Did you know the new shark can swallow a mini-fig whole?

'ello poppet! (http://i43.tinypic.com/mi1ksw.jpg)
fight hard, ya scurvy bilge rat! (http://i40.tinypic.com/2rhv6rr.jpg)
down the hatch, matey! (http://i39.tinypic.com/2h80dg6.jpg)
it's the locker for ya! (http://i41.tinypic.com/o05vzo.jpg)

LusiferSam
05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Did you know the new shark can swallow a mini-fig whole?

Nope, had no clue. That was always one of my old complaints about the old sharks, they couldn't eat anybody. Brickbeard's Bounty is on the short list of sets I hope to get shortly. I don't know whether I wait the ship more or the Medieval Market more. I'll figure it out in about two weeks.

I recently made another purchase of old bricks off eBay. I wasn't really reading the description too carefully and shocked by the size of the box. Turns out I got 28 lbs of Samsonite era bricks. It's mostly red sloop bricks, but also a number of other cool elements. I got a mini garage case, six automatic garage doors, one garage base plate, but no frames. A light element, two 4.5 V battery box (with the guts ripped out) and a 4.5 V motor case (no motor). A bunch of 60's train parts, including some parts Samsonite wasn't known to have made, according to Peeron and Brinklink. A bunch of nylon couplers and some Samsonite gears. I no clue what I'd use for, but they're fun to have. And what really caught my eye were the Samsonite style flat trees. I got about 40 bushes and 40 pines. Overall not a bad little score.

Ji'dai
05-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I got the Brickbeard Bounty and most of the other large Pirate sets when they first hit back in late December. I think TRU had a BOGO sale that excluded Star Wars so I ended up getting the Pirates instead.

Funny you should mention the Medieval Market Village since I just ordered that one today from LEGO Shop@Home. If you use the "bscd29" coupon code, you can get $5 off, which halved the $10 shipping cost in my case. I've had my eye on that set for some time now; it looks great. I think the village could be integrated into the Pirate theme as well.

I very nearly pulled the trigger on the System Death Star today. Shipping would've been $25 for both the Medieval Market and space station. I decided to wait for a free shipping offer to come down though.

I'm going to be buying a lot of LEGO with all the great Town sets hitting now and Indiana Jones sets coming out next month. I need to get in the habit of getting a set every two weeks or so, otherwise it gets overwhelming and I end up missing stuff.

That eBay lot sounds interesting, at least from a historical perspective. I don't know if I'd mix that old stuff in with my modern collection, but the Samsonite product would be cool to have and display on its own. The oldest LEGO I have dates from the early 70s, after the Samsonite era.

LusiferSam
05-25-2009, 10:55 PM
My Lego buying habits are terrible funny. It's the only thing I collect that I let my family as a gift. Currently there's a list out (b-day). So anything on that list is blacklisted for me personally for the moment. Normally after x-mas and my b-day I'll go shopping. Unfortunately I have missed stuff doing things this way. I missed the '07 Batman sets and some '07 Star Wars. These items were all short run sets, so I might have missed them anyway.

My local buying options suck. It's Wal-Mart or Target. WM in the past was horrible. Tiny section, boxes beat to hell and infrequently restocked. That's changed in the last couple of years. Now we have a full aisle plus and better stocked shelves. The boxes are better, but still a number a in bad shape. Target has a bigger aisle and the box are in better shape, but the inventory situation is problematic. It can take them weeks to restock.

About half the time I use S@H. I normally mind the shipping that much. I guess it's part of the convenience.

Ji'dai
05-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Finally built the Town Plan (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10184) set. It's the 50th Anniversary set that builds a mini-fig scale replica of the 1958 town kit. I bought it last July and built it over the course of last week. I love the buildings in it. The gas station and theater being my two favorites. The Town hall is pretty cool too; it reminds me of the one from Back to the Future. I like the idea of historical town sets, this one could be used in an Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull era display.

Some of the decals bother me though. There are several that apply across brick seams, meaning you can't take it apart once the decal is applied. The film "poster" decals on the theater are applied onto 4x6 window panes, so those can be swapped out if I ever print “new” posters. The movie screen is two parts so the "movie" decal must be applied across both plates. I went ahead and did this but ordered new plates and windows from Pick A Brick in the event I want to change the movie being shown and movie posters.

The "Cinema" sign had to be changed too. I'm not applying decals to it as it's built per the instructions (http://i41.tinypic.com/2el9fo6.jpg). So I'm going to modify it (http://i43.tinypic.com/90vjpt.jpg) so I can attach 2x2 flat tiles (http://i40.tinypic.com/2luqsjp.jpg) to the sign. The letters in "CINEMA" are then applied to the tiles instead. Those pics are just a mock-up of the change, I ordered parts in the right colors from Pick A Brick to correct the sign.

I need to be careful ordering from that service. Before I knew it, I had 158 pieces in my bag and had spent nearly $30 dollars.

Also received my Medieval Market Village from Shop@Home this week. Now I have my first cows (http://i43.tinypic.com/r5tx.jpg)!

Ji'dai
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
The "Cinema" sign had to be changed too. I'm not applying decals to it as it's built per the instructions (http://i41.tinypic.com/2el9fo6.jpg). So I'm going to modify it (http://i43.tinypic.com/90vjpt.jpg) so I can attach 2x2 flat tiles (http://i40.tinypic.com/2luqsjp.jpg) to the sign. The letters in "CINEMA" are then applied to the tiles instead. Those pics are just a mock-up of the change, I ordered parts in the right colors from Pick A Brick to correct the sign. Well, I fixed the "Cinema" sign on my Town Plan theater with the Pick-A-Bricks I ordered:

Put the "CINEMA" decals on the tiles... (http://i41.tinypic.com/5lwjcz.jpg)

Attach the tiles to the sign... (http://i40.tinypic.com/339rn2e.jpg)

The sign's new profile... (http://i44.tinypic.com/x0di.jpg)

The finished theater (http://i41.tinypic.com/r742f8.jpg), but I didn't attach the decals for the marquee. I'd also like to make my own movie poster decals and install them instead. It'd be cool to have movie posters of Star Wars ANH or ESB, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, etc. I could have a line of Town people in SW "costume" waiting to buy tickets :pleased:

LusiferSam
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, I fixed the "Cinema" sign on my Town Plan theater with the Pick-A-Bricks I ordered:

That looks really good. Much better the what the instructions have shown. I might just have to steal the idea. I haven't placed any of the stickers on my Town Plan set. Too many of them span multiple elements.

I'd also like to make my own movie poster decals and install them instead. It'd be cool to have movie posters of Star Wars ANH or ESB, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, etc. I could have a line of Town people in SW "costume" waiting to buy tickets :pleased:

Casablanca I can't help you with (not until Lego licenses it). But SW and Indy (or Batman) I can. If you can find just the art work for the video games Lego Star Wars or Lego Indiana Jones you could print it. Now it wouldn't be a 100% match to the original theater posters, but it would be Lego. You'd also have to crop it and reduce it to be the right size. Just an idea.

Ji'dai
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Steal away! I like how the sign turned out. I should check and see what that fix cost me. It took 2 1x1 plates, 6 1x2 plates with 1 knob, 6 1x1 bricks with 4 knobs, 12 1x1 tiles, and 12 2x2 tiles.

I didn't put decals on the Octan street sign or the theater marquee. I didn't think about using the LEGO movie posters, that's a good idea. I was just going to use the real thing and reduce it down to fit on a 1x4x6 window pane. At least they put the decal posters on windows rather than just on the side of a brick wall. Makes them easy to swap out if you get tired of the decals the set came with.

LusiferSam
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
So I picked up another old set. This time is it's really old. In fact it's almost old enough to have been my parents set. It's 725 Town Plan (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/725_3). This is one of first Lego sets available in the US and one of the sets the inspiered last years Town Plan (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10184). The set is about 90% complete, came with it's original box and has the idea booklet and board.

The other thing to note about this set are the bricks themselves. Nearly every Lego brick most of us have seen or touch are made from acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS. The first Lego brick and earlier tubeless bricks were made from cellulose acetate or CA. These are CA that I got.

I knew the CA would be different, but I didn't how different. For starters the colors are different. Most are brighter, but the red is totally shade. They sound different. Rattle a few ABS bricks around and they have a sharper sounds then the CA bricks. And they feel different. Standard bricks have a nice snap to them when you put them together. The CA bricks are softer, they feel more like you're squishing them together. And it's not just because it's an old set.

Like I said the set is about 90% complete. On the plus side it comes with most of the is rare parts, the Esso gas plumps and truck, the fire truck and tow truck and one VW Bug. The down side is the Bug has it's bumpers broken off and there's only one. The Esso is there, but broken. And the Peeron inventory is clearly incorrect, so I really don't have a way of learn what right inventory is.

Ji'dai
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Wow, that's quite a find. Where did you dig up that old fossil, eBay or some garage sale?

I uploaded a better pic (http://i44.tinypic.com/oa5egz.jpg) of this set than the one over on Lugnet. LEGO started using ABS in 1963, but I'm not familiar with the different types of plastic. The oldest set I have is from '73 or '74, well into the ABS era. I doubt I could tell the difference between Bakelite, CA, and ABS.

Does it have some type of playmat that goes underneath the set?

---

I opened the new Indiana Jones set Ambush and Cairo and found that the Arab figs heads and hands (http://i44.tinypic.com/24yct9f.jpg) are darker than the peach color of Indy and Marion. Now we have a suntan fleshtone!

LusiferSam
07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, that's quite a find. Where did you dig up that old fossil, eBay or some garage sale?
EBay. And it was one of those finds I wasn't even looking for. I was searching for something else (vintage Kenner instructions) and ran across this.

I uploaded a better pic (http://i44.tinypic.com/oa5egz.jpg) of this set than the one over on Lugnet. LEGO started using ABS in 1963, but I'm not familiar with the different types of plastic. The oldest set I have is from '73 or '74, well into the ABS era. I doubt I could tell the difference between Bakelite, CA, and ABS.

Does it have some type of playmat that goes underneath the set?

Yes it does have the playmat. It's made of heavy cardboard, like the box and folds like a game board. Now your photo is not of 725, it's 810 (http://guide.lugnet/set/810_2), which is the European version. They're not a one to one match. 810 has more parts. Most notably street signs and more vehicles. The photo itself is from the '61 catalog cover and not the box.

As of the plastics, you'd be able to tell the difference pretty quickly. Red is the most obvious, based on color alone. Blue is also pretty easy. Once you know what you're looking for white and clear start standing out too. I'll try post a good clear photo of some red bricks tomorrow. The photo I try taking tonight aren't the best and I think I could do better with better lighting.

LusiferSam
07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Ok, I finally taken some pictures I think nicely show the difference between CA and ABS bricks. The CA is on the left and ABS on the right. I took the ABS brick from as new a set as I could. The first photo I think illustrates the color (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LusiferSam/misc/ca1.jpg) difference very well. The ABS is a dark shade and the CA is more orange. And this is not just discoloring. Red brick (ABS) tend to get darker as they age.

The second photo shows the shine (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LusiferSam/misc/ca2.jpg) the CA have. Yes new Lego bricks are shiny, but nothing like what these old CA have. If I could post a picture of the sound difference or the way they feel like I would. Once you know what you're looking for the difference really jump out at you. It's like the difference between Lego and a knockoff brand, once you know, you know.

Ji'dai
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Have the CA bricks held their shape after all these years or are they deformed?

LusiferSam
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
There is some minor warping. Many of the bricks have held up pretty good. But some haven't. The plates, which are the waffle pattern (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3035old) type, I don't believe are because they're so heavy. But when building some of the models shown on the box the roofs don't always want to go on. It's hard to get all the studs lined up to go in the waffles bottoms. With some patients I get them to fit.

And of course I get them to work with current bricks. But some fits were a little too tight and some were too loose. Not enough to keep the bricks from working, but enough to notice.

Ji'dai
07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Holey moley, those plates with the waffle pattern would be a nightmare to use! I'm glad LEGO changed the design.

All this talk of old Samsonite LEGO sets has made me want to add a few to my collection, if just for the sake of historical curiosity.

LusiferSam
07-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Because I'm not sure if people know what Ji'dai and I are talking about when we say the CA brick are warped or deformed, so I took a picture. These are two CA plates (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LusiferSam/misc/ca_warp.jpg) that have warped. Normally they should be flush (or very near flush). While both are warped, the one on the right is warped real bad. I hope that clarified things for those that care.

WesleySr
07-15-2009, 03:04 AM
I only collect Star Wars LEGOS, but after reading this thread it got me to thinking. When I was younger I collected LEGOs. I started with the town, then went to space, and then when the castle LEGOs started I was hooked. I started with the yellow castle and collected them all for years after that. I then started collecting the first couple years of the Pirates LEGOS. After I thought about it I remembered that I still have all of my castle and pirate LEGOS in plastic bags for each set and then stored in plastic containers in the closet under my steps. I was just curious if they are worth anything now? I hear people talking about them all the time, but I never thought about my old ones or wondered what they were worth.

Ji'dai
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, sets from that era have not only retained their value, but have appreciated greatly. Complete sets in good condition with box and instructions would fetch a pretty penny on eBay. Or you could trade for SW sets you've missed.

LusiferSam
07-16-2009, 02:04 AM
I started with the yellow castle and collected them all for years after that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that as the Castle line ran from 1978 to 2000 in one form or another before starting again in 2004.

Some sets are quite valuable. The Yellow Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6075_2) can go for a lot of money if the rare elements are still all present. The visors can easily go for $10 or more each. King's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080) while having no real rare elements is highly popular, as is Black Falcon's Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074). Now sets like the Black Smith's Shop (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6040) or Maiden's Cart (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6023) have some unique elements and the price of the set is totally driven by those elements. The going rate on BrickLink for the black sword is $12. Generally pre '92 sets are in higher demand.

I don't know as much about the values for the Pirate line, I got everything but a few of the minor sets when they were first released. I do know the most popular sets are the Black Seas Barracuda (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6285) and the Imperial Trading Post (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6277). Of the early Pirate sets the Eldorado Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6276) and the Caribbean Clipper (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6274) are less popular than later the Imperial Trading Post and Imperial Flagship (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6271), but not by much. Forbidden Island (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6270), dispute being one of my personal favorites, is at the bottom of the list for the first four.

As Ji'dai said the instructions and boxes can really added to the value. I will buy loose set without it's box. But I really want those instructions. I bought one set about 10 years ago without the instructions and decided I won't be doing that again. As most set can be 'assembled' from spare parts having the instructions and more importantly the box with a way of saying you truly have that set and not an 'assembled' set.

WesleySr
07-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that as the Castle line ran from 1978 to 2000 in one form or another before starting again in 2004.

Some sets are quite valuable. The Yellow Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6075_2) can go for a lot of money if the rare elements are still all present. The visors can easily go for $10 or more each. King's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080) while having no real rare elements is highly popular, as is Black Falcon's Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074). Now sets like the Black Smith's Shop (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6040) or Maiden's Cart (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6023) have some unique elements and the price of the set is totally driven by those elements. The going rate on BrickLink for the black sword is $12. Generally pre '92 sets are in higher demand.

I don't know as much about the values for the Pirate line, I got everything but a few of the minor sets when they were first released. I do know the most popular sets are the Black Seas Barracuda (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6285) and the Imperial Trading Post (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6277). Of the early Pirate sets the Eldorado Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6276) and the Caribbean Clipper (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6274) are less popular than later the Imperial Trading Post and Imperial Flagship (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6271), but not by much. Forbidden Island (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6270), dispute being one of my personal favorites, is at the bottom of the list for the first four.

As Ji'dai said the instructions and boxes can really added to the value. I will buy loose set without it's box. But I really want those instructions. I bought one set about 10 years ago without the instructions and decided I won't be doing that again. As most set can be 'assembled' from spare parts having the instructions and more importantly the box with a way of saying you truly have that set and not an 'assembled' set.

Well, when I first started collecting, the first set I got was the yellow castle, I dont know how intact it is, but I am pretty sure that I am missing the instructions. After that, I pretty much got every set, including all of those that you mentioned. They are all complete, I think, including the instructions. I think I even have 2 of the Blacksmith shops. As for the Pirates, I dont exactly remember what sets I have.

DarthQuack
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
This Taj Mahal (http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product.aspx?p=10189&cn=128&d=263) setwould be a sweet set to put together....not sure that I'd want to pay for it though :P

LusiferSam
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
So the other night I was doing some organization of my Lego collection when a friend of my called. She asked what I was up to and explained that I was putting some Lego sets into storage. When she wanted more details, I told what I was doing with a police car. I take a zip lock bag and label it with the set name and number and then disassemble the set. When I told my friend the set number I heard a lot of giggling on the other end. Police Car (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/420_1) is set number 420. :rolleyes:

WesleySr
07-25-2009, 06:16 PM
So the other night I was doing some organization of my Lego collection when a friend of my called. She asked what I was up to and explained that I was putting some Lego sets into storage. When she wanted more details, I told what I was doing with a police car. I take a zip lock bag and label it with the set name and number and then disassemble the set. When I told my friend the set number I heard a lot of giggling on the other end. Police Car (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/420_1) is set number 420. :rolleyes:

umm...ok....what was so funny? did i miss something?

Slicker
07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I would assume it has to do with 420 being the "official" pot smoking time. :rolleyes:

Anywho, I can't WAIT to get back from this deployment! I've got 3 sets out here that I need to take home and put together (Republic Gunship, AT-TE, and Homing Spider Droid) and I may add to that total before the cruise is done. It should be a fun weekend (especially if I can get ahold of a lady friend :lipsrsealed: ) when I get back.

WesleySr
07-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I would assume it has to do with 420 being the "official" pot smoking time. :rolleyes:

That i did not know. Now it is funny.

Ji'dai
07-27-2009, 07:15 PM
So the other night I was doing some organization of my Lego collection when a friend of my called. She asked what I was up to and explained that I was putting some Lego sets into storage. When she wanted more details, I told what I was doing with a police car. I take a zip lock bag and label it with the set name and number and then disassemble the set. When I told my friend the set number I heard a lot of giggling on the other end. Police Car (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/420_1) is set number 420. :rolleyes: I used to write on the zip-lock bags too, then they would smear. For many years I put little garage sale tags on the outside of the bag with the set number (back when I could identify all sets by number from memory), but those would sometimes fall off.

A couple years ago I started a new method, which I've used ever since: I write the theme, set number, and set name in big block letters on a half sheet of paper (http://i28.tinypic.com/29bhs0k.jpg) and put it inside the bag. Makes sets really easy to identify when I'm digging through a large tote full of bagged sets.

LusiferSam
07-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I've never had a problem with marker rubbing off of a bag. That is unless I use rubbing alcohol to remove it. I'd worry the paper would be made unreadable in bag with Lego bricks. The current problem I have I don't have clue what set is in what tote. What I need to do is inventory each tote and then id the tote. I don't think I want a list of set in a given tote just sitting in each one.

Another good reason for the inventorying each tote is I have a bunch of bags that aren't labeled. I was being lazy and was putting sets in bags and thought I come back later and label them. 99% of the time I can easily id a set in it's bag, so it's that that big a deal to do that. My mom thought she'd take pity on me one day bought some more totes and put all of these set just laying around in them. Oh well, it the thought that counts, right? :laugh:

Ji'dai
07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I've never had a problem with marker rubbing off of a bag. That is unless I use rubbing alcohol to remove it. I'd worry the paper would be made unreadable in bag with Lego bricks. The current problem I have I don't have clue what set is in what tote. What I need to do is inventory each tote and then id the tote. I don't think I want a list of set in a given tote just sitting in each one.

I've also found that writing on the bags in marker is often hard to read so I put all the set info on a half sheet of white paper and put it in inside the bag. Keep the set ID paper on top of the bricks on the inside of the bag so the writing isn't obscured in any way. I also use acid free paper and all that...

Another good reason for the inventorying each tote is I have a bunch of bags that aren't labeled. I was being lazy and was putting sets in bags and thought I come back later and label them. 99% of the time I can easily id a set in it's bag, so it's that that big a deal to do that. My mom thought she'd take pity on me one day bought some more totes and put all of these set just laying around in them. Oh well, it the thought that counts, right?

At least your mom didn't open the bags and dump all the parts together! I finally convinced my mom a few years ago to organize her stuff in totes. Her garage is starting to look a lot like my toy storage shed.

I didnt inventory my toys for a long time and it got so that it was too hard to find stuff when I wanted to put it back on display. So a few years ago I did a nearly complete inventory (a couple totes with vintage SW are not inventoried by toy) and created Excel spreadsheets to keep track of it.

Here a few examples of my Excel toy inventory spreadsheet. Fifteen 50-gallon Rubbermaid tubs are inventoried on this particular sheet (http://i25.tinypic.com/okxs83.jpg). (I have 30+ of these tubs!) Each tub is numbered and has an entry on the sheet. F R1T1 stands for Front, Row 1, Tote 1 and has Indy stuff in it. F R1T2 has NIB LEGO sets. And it goes on (http://i29.tinypic.com/5cbolf.jpg) and on (http://i27.tinypic.com/2qitg90.jpg)

This is what a 50-gallon tub (http://i26.tinypic.com/10mkn43.jpg) with zip-locked bagged LEGO sets looks like. This one, F R1T3 (http://i29.tinypic.com/316x28p.jpg), is half full and is already getting to be very heavy to lift. I keep the set identification paper on top of the bricks inside the bag and this makes finding sets very easy.

DarthQuack
07-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I would love to see pictures of both your collections, and how many sets you have.:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Not much to see really. I only have half a dozen sets actually built on display. The vast majority are bagged in storage. The main focus of my displays are action figures - I have over 600 on display, the majority of them modern Star Wars.

As far as LEGO counts go, I have 781 verifiable sets (still have the box or instructions) and 191,486 pieces (actually more than that but I don't have piece counts on some sets and on all my basic bricks from my childhood).

LusiferSam
07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
At least your mom didn't open the bags and dump all the parts together!
Oh God. I would have killed her. And she knows it.

Here a few examples of my Excel toy inventory spreadsheet. Fifteen 50-gallon Rubbermaid tubs are inventoried on this particular sheet (http://i25.tinypic.com/okxs83.jpg). (I have 30+ of these tubs!) Each tub is numbered and has an entry on the sheet. “F R1T1” stands for Front, Row 1, Tote 1” and has Indy stuff in it. “F R1T2” has NIB LEGO sets. And it goes on (http://i29.tinypic.com/5cbolf.jpg) and on (http://i27.tinypic.com/2qitg90.jpg)…
That spread sheet is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I used to use a spread sheet to track my collection. Starting in '95 when Lego stopped printing the set names in the in pack catalogs I found it hard to remember the names. Plus the names were becoming much more eccentric and elaborate. After I discovered Peeron could do what I was doing, but much easier and with more info I pretty much have moved to Peeron full time. But a simple inventory of a given tub would be well within would Excel could do easily.

This is what a 50-gallon tub (http://i26.tinypic.com/10mkn43.jpg) with zip-locked bagged LEGO sets looks like. This one, “F R1T3 (http://i29.tinypic.com/316x28p.jpg),” is half full and is already getting to be very heavy to lift.

I hear you on that one. I use the smaller tubs (30 gal I think) because I want to be able still lift them when full. And I would fill them to the top without thinking about how heavy it might be.

Collection wise, I have some old photos in my BrickShelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=179760) account. The table with the Pirate stuff hasn't changed too much in the last year. I've replaced the Red Beard Runner (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6289) with Brickbeard's Bounty (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6243) and made room for a few other new sets. The shelves have changed a lot. Those photos have to be a least 4 years old. I try and keep sets out of one year. Some barely make it. Like right now some of the Indy sets I'm counting the days on. Other are there for the longer term. The Death Star being so large I don't really know where what else to do with it. The Viking Ship (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7018) I just love so it stays, for now.

In terms of numbers, I have 500 sets currently. All but a few have their boxes and all but one has it's instructions. There's another 12 or so that I think I have or have assembled. 2 or 3 of those are early childhood sets. I know had set are an early age, but have no clue what they were. And I have 10,000 plus "spare" parts. These are parts I've found, were give, bought for my Cathedral, or simple bought.

LusiferSam
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Ok, I got home early enough to take some descent new photos of my collection. So if you go back to my BrickShelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=179760) account, you'll see some new photos. It's just the shelves that new, not the pirate stuff. Some sets are the same, most are different. And as a bonus I took some pictures of my HO scale cars. :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
07-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Your album is not yet public. :(

LusiferSam
07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Your album is not yet public. :(

I have no idea what caused the long delay, but the Collection folder is finally public.

Ji'dai
08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I bought the two Clone Wars Battle Packs last Friday and built them over the weekend. I’ve come across two-colored elements before, namely the new parrots in the Pirates theme. 8015 Assassin Droids has a two-colored element (http://i29.tinypic.com/2mwdouf.jpg) too, which is used as a stabilizing fin on the speeder bike.

What really surprised me was that half of the part is rigid plastic (http://i30.tinypic.com/wlos4g.jpg) and the other half is flexible rubber (http://i27.tinypic.com/25g4239.jpg)! I thought that was really cool. It’ll help prevent the tip of the part from breaking when the vehicle tossed into a toy box or stepped on. Are there other parts like this one?

Ji'dai
08-11-2009, 03:37 PM
For several years now Ive stored my instructions in hanging file folders in plastic totes. The smaller instructions, such as the fold-out single-page sheets, and the small and large booklets, I kept in zip-lock bags and put the bags in hanging folders too.

Here is a pic of my old storage method (http://i31.tinypic.com/23szzts.jpg), the hanging file tote. I kept mostly Town and releated themes in this one. (It looks empty but most of the instructions have been removed).

It was a chore opening zip-lock bags and flipping through a stack of mini-instructions in order to find one, and my collection has really outgrown the hanging file folder method. So Im in the process of inserting all of my instructions into sheet protectors, discarding the file folders, and just putting the instructions into the tote by themselves. The next step would be to make some dividers with tabs to identify each theme.

A couple pics of my new storage method (http://i29.tinypic.com/195y06.jpg): instructions in sheet protectors (http://i32.tinypic.com/x6ac5y.jpg) and stored without hanging file folders. This tote has all my Adventurers, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and some misc. Technic and Creator set instructions.

I bought some 5x7 and 4x6 photo refill sheets at Walmart for the mini-instructions and full-size sheet protectors at the warehouse club for the larger booklets.

The 5x7 and 4x6 photo sheets are 10 for $2 and are available at Walmart. These protectors are really heavy weight plastic and work really well for the small booklets. Although the 5x7 ones will potentially hold four instructions, Im just putting two in them. Same with the 4x6 protectors; they will hold six, but Im just putting three in them.

Here is a 5x7 sheet with instructions (http://i29.tinypic.com/1zfslkx.jpg). Some of the older instructions are square and too big for 4x6. I dont have too many of this type and they arent as common any more anyway.

A 4x6 sheet with instructions (http://i30.tinypic.com/8xj2me.jpg). Works well with the mini-instruction booklets, which are still commonly used.

The full-size sheet protectors arent as heavy as the photo refill sheets, but they are pretty durable. I originally bought some at Walmarts back to school section (a bag of 25 runs about $3-4), but I later found some heavy weight ones at the warehouse club that were higher quality and a better bargain - 200 for $10.

A full size sheet protector with one-page instructions (http://i27.tinypic.com/mx0eg7.jpg). Ive got two types of fold-out one-page instructions. The Star Wars one on the left is longer than the sheet protector so I left one section unfolded. The smaller one on the right is usually included with those dinky impulse sets. Both types of one-page fold-out instructions are still common in sets.

A full size sheet protector with the larger booklets (http://i32.tinypic.com/2dcbrky.jpg). Many instructions are full-size booklets like the X-Wing one on the left. The one on the right is the half-size booklet which is still popular with LEGO.

A full size sheet protector with an oversize instruction booklet (http://i30.tinypic.com/15wm72f.jpg). I do have several instructions that are longer than the sheet protectors, but I went ahead and put the booklets in them anyway. These instructions do fit in the standard size hanging file folder and in containers made for hanging folders.

I have gained more room by doing this. With the old hanging file method I had two totes full and had started putting them into a third, which I used for my paper files & records. Now Im back to using two totes with room for more in both.

With a collection that is just shy of the 800-set mark, I really needed to reorganize and improvise a new storage method. Now all of my instructions, from the mini one-page ones to the big booklets, are now stored together in numerical order for the first time.

So how do you store your instructions?

LusiferSam
08-11-2009, 08:15 PM
My instructions in storage in a set of shacking drawers (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LusiferSam/Collection/instructions.jpg). I've got six drawers. Bottom to top the order is: 1. Space and Star Wars, 2. Techine, 3. Adventure, Indy and Alpha Team/Agents (don't ask), 4. Castle, 5. Pirate, and 6. Town and miscellaneous. The order is mostly it's a weight thing. The Death Star plans are just sitting waiting to be stolen as they're too big to fit anywhere. My 'old' system was really just a small version of what I have now.

It's not the best way of doing it. Stuff really isn't in any order and I've had some of the smaller instruction "eaten" by the larger. The other problem I have is size. Lego has continual been dumbing down their instructions. By number I have more Castle instructions, but by weight Star Wars is king. As a consequence Techine and Star Wars are close to being full. So I either need to add more drawers or get a new system. I'm not happy about either.

Any one else save the boxes?

Ji'dai
08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, I keep the boxes (and the box inserts... and the display trays (when they used to have them). That's another headache I have to contend with. I just flatten the smaller boxes and store them inside the bigger boxes.

I have two totes full of flattened boxes and started putting the others into the attic.

LusiferSam
08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I've boxes of boxes too. I use to just put the smaller boxes in the larger ones. About 2001 is when I starting flatting them. I've got three flower boxes (long, large boxes flowers are shipped in) full. I need to put up another at some point. Saved the boxes because of the alternative models on the back. As Lego hasn't seen an alternative model in years, it's now just force of habit.

I save to inpack catalogs and have a about an 8" stack of the things. As those ended in '03 that stack is pretty much done growing. I toss out the Fan Club fliers and paternal notes and stuff. If I were to get a pre-1990 set I would likely keep the tray, flat and boomerang. By as I have most of those sets I want this unlikely. For the most part I chuck those too.

Ji'dai
08-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I've kept all the LEGO mini-catalogs and store them in a small box in the attic. Like you said, LEGO stopped printing them so my collection won't be getting any bigger.

Now that I've reorganized my instructions, I'm going put the mini-catalogs into sheet protectors and store them with my instructions. It'll make it easier to browse through them if I want.

I've also kept the Shop@Home catalogs and the Club Magazine. I admit I keep the Fan Club apps, single-page flyers, and the parent notes too :o

I feel a pang of regret when I toss away the empty polybags after building a set! I do keep the polybags that have a set picture on them.

LusiferSam
08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah I keep the poylbags too if they came in a bag rather than a box. Got have some form of packaging. ;) I thought about keeping the S@H catalog once Lego stopped the inpack catalog, but figured I've been tossing those out for the last 15 years why start save 'em now.

I've got most of my Fan Club. Maybe I should say I misplaced it. One of the birthday packs, an early one when they were still cool, and my earliest news letters went MIA in high school. I'm think my sister might have had a hand in this, but who knows. I let my membership laps in '97 because I was no longer getting anything out of it (plus sets of the era suck).

About part trees, like plumage wheels (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4502c01), tools wheels (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6246) or flower sprues (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3742c01)? I use to keep all the stuff. Now plumage wheels have to 100& complete for me to keep. Flower sprues I'll keep if there's at lest 3 flowers on there. Tools wheels would have to be close to complete I think. I've not saved any of the old 1x1 round sprues (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4073sprue). I tossed those out years ago.

Ji'dai
08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I kept the part trees, wheels, and sprues for awhile, but lately I've been tossing them. I have no idea what to do with them, so why keep them? I cracked open a sealed 6399 Airport Shuttle a few years ago and was surprised to find pairs of 1x1 rounds on those sprues. It's been so long since I've built a set from that era that I'd forgotten they came that way.

I do keep the sprues the gold coins come on. I use them as another piece of gold. Makes the treasure chests look a little more fuller.

---

I put all of my mini-catalogs in sheet protectors yesterday and today. I found two Star Wars capes, one black and one brown, tucked away inside a folded one-page catalog from '99 or '00. The oldest catalog I have dates from 1978. I have catalogs from nearly every year, 1978-2003, except for ones from '79 and '80. A lot of them are European catalogs since I bought so many sets from overseas sellers in the late '90s.

LusiferSam
08-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't have any catalogs that old. Of my original stuff I've got ever thing back to '88 and an '85 parents guide (center pages are missing). Oh and an '89 and '90 European catalogs when S@H use to include those rather than the US ones.

I've managed to pick up an '86 catalog and an '81 mini catalog. I don't know whether there was a full sized catalog in '81 or not. It came with the Knight's Tournament (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6083_1) I have. And the '86 catalog came with Black Falcon's Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074) when I picked that up a few years ago.

Ji'dai
08-18-2009, 12:52 PM
This is the 1978 catalog (http://i32.tinypic.com/23wryj5.jpg) I have, front and back (I have two of them). It's a stapled booklet.

I have two catalogs from 1981 (http://i31.tinypic.com/21oszrr.jpg). Both have the same cover. One is a stapled booklet and the other is a fold-out one.

I have both the US and EU '86 catalogs (http://i31.tinypic.com/359da50.jpg). Both are stapled booklets. The European version is much smaller; it's similiar in size to the vintage Kenner catalogs. Just seems like an odd size for a LEGO catalog.

I have the '89 and '90 US catalogs (http://i29.tinypic.com/2e4yseb.jpg). They have the fan club offer on the cover and application on the back with the Enfield, CT address.

So I'm missing the '79, '80, and '82 catalogs out of the 1978-2003 range. I don't have a stapled booklet from '84, though I do have a mini 1 page fold-out from that year.

I also kept the Service (accessories & replacement parts) and LEGO Direct booklets that they used to include in sets from time to time too.

LusiferSam
08-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I also kept the Service (accessories & replacement parts) and LEGO Direct booklets that they used to include in sets from time to time too.

I don't think I know what those are. Maybe I do and have just been calling them by a different name.

The European '89 (http://www.peeron.com/catalogs/1989/medium/1/?id=106) and '90 (http://www.peeron.com/catalogs/1990/medium/1/?id=87) are a bit shorter then their US counterparts. There's no S@H section in the back, the page order if different and the set names are funny.

The '81 version I have is the foldout type. I'll have to look for the booklet version at some point.

Ji'dai
08-19-2009, 08:47 AM
The LEGO Direct catalogs (http://i32.tinypic.com/142dah3.jpg) come in varying sizes and are basically miniature Shop@Home catalogs.

The Service catalogs (http://i25.tinypic.com/oi7l0o.jpg) are mainly a European thing. Most of the ones I have don't have any US order info in them. I don't think Service Packs are still available now that LEGO offers the "Pick-a-Brick" service. The one on the far left in the pic is a 1984 US Service card for lost, missing, or broken parts.

I also keep the Fan Club applications (http://i32.tinypic.com/wi3jhe.jpg), which are still included with sets today. These particular apps are from the early '90s, during the "LEGO Maniac" ad campaign.

LusiferSam
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok, I know what the LEGO Direct catalogs are. I never keep those because they are basically mini S@H catalogs. Guess I never paid attention to the name. I've never seen those Service Pack catalogs before. They could very well be a European only thing. I don't thing Europe got S@H as we know it until the mid 90's and I think before that what you could buy direct in Europe were the Service Packs. Also I think items like the road base plates and the Techine motor accessories are still viewed as Service Packs.

On a side note I think Pick-a-Brick is Lego's best idea since S@H. While it's not perfect it's clearly better then old bulk brick packs.

Ji'dai
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Brickshelf had a large collection of catalog and instruction scans at one time. I wonder what happened to all of them? The catalog database at Peeron doesn't have a lot in it.

I've only used PAB once and was satisfied with the results. I never did buy any of the bulk brick packs. I do like the option of being able to just order what you need rather than having to buy a bulk pack.

LusiferSam
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
The Peeron instruction and catalog library is the Brickshelf instruction and catalog library. I don't remember what year it was but Kevin Lock (I think it's spelled that way) who runs Brickshelf had run out of room for database was going to drop it. But then the folks at Peeron (their names escape me at the moment) then offered to host it. Instructions library is pretty good. Catalog wise, I don't remember the Brickshelf version being any better. In fact I know it had fewer US catalogs than Peeron currently has. And as for why images aren't loading over there, who knows. Maybe they need another server.

Ji'dai
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I remember Brickshelf having a ton of catalog scans. But it's been ten years since I actively posted on Lugnet and kept up with Brickshelf and the rest of that community so my memory is a little fuzzy.

---

I was in TRU checking out the new Playmobil toys and they have speedboat with motor for $15. I thought about getting it to see if the motor is compatible with the old LEGO Boats. LEGO boat hulls were made to be compatible with Playmobil motors but I don't know if Playmobil has changed their design in the years since. I know LEGO released a floating boat a few years back that came with a motor but from what I read it wasn't compatible with the older hulls.

LusiferSam
08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
LEGO boat hulls were made to be compatible with Playmobil motors but I don't know if Playmobil has changed their design in the years since.

I never knew that. I only have one boat, Police Patrol (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4021). I got it in the short period when I was in to the Police sets.

I thought it best to continue the instructions discussion here rather than the '09 SW sets thread because it's a bit off topic there.

Anyway... I've gotten a couple sets of instructions that were pretty bad. The worst one (I can't seen to find at the moment, but I didn't look real hard) nearly had the cover and first page ripped off. Next time that happens I will try and ask Lego for a new instructions. Normally they just really bent (use to fix) and sometimes really dog eared (not so easy to fix).

While I hate the ballooning size of the instruction books I have to say I'm really happy Lego has been limiting the length of book. Large sets like 8448 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8448) and 8458 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8458) I nearly had the covers rip off while building because of their thickness.

Ji'dai
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
The older LEGO Boat hulls had slots in them to accomodate a motor like the one Playmobil (http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=7350&cgid=Ds_Elektronisches_Zubehoer) makes. The instructions of those sets don't mention Playmobil specifically; it just says you can get a motor that is compatible with the boat at some hobby shops.

If I got instructions that were ripped or the cover was mangled I'd probably ask for a replacement, especially if the set was really expensive. There are collectors who return sets because of dinged up boxes so why not instructions too?

LusiferSam
08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
While not the best photo (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LusiferSam/misc/mauled.jpg), this one of the more mangled instructions I gotten. And this is after they have been flatten. I'm still looking for the really bad one. I've learned not to buy the badly damaged boxes as they always have instructions that a mangled. I swear Wal-Mart puts these in front just of me. In the case of 7662 I remembering picking it up at Target and the box was just ok.

Ji'dai
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
That MTT booklet looks a lot like the ones I've been getting. It's badly curled, but at least it's not torn. I can live with curled books though it's often hard to use them until they've been flattened. And like you said, sometimes after trying to flatten them they just spring back.

LusiferSam
10-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Over the weekend I got a bee in my bonnet and started to pick up the stacks of books I have sitting around for no reason. That lead to the need to clean up one the book shelves. Well under a stack of over sized books were my missing Fan Club items. Needless to say I was surprised and delighted. I knew that all the stuff was together in one place, just not what that place was. I've not yet had to chance to go through the stuff yet, other than a quick once over. Maybe later this week.

Ji'dai
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I took a quick shot of the acryllic display case (http://i34.tinypic.com/ftmi1.jpg) I built a few months ago. It's got a eclectic mix of sets in there right now - the Battle of Endor is raging on one side while the Town Fire Brigade is on the other. I mounted Anakin's Y-Wing Starfighter on some monorail track supports so it's flying over the Imperial Bunker. And above it all is the Space Police Galactic Enforcer.

I still haven't built my System Death Star, but I hope to start construction on it the week of Thanksgiving and put it on display. I also have the Creator Cool Convertible I'd like to build this week along with the Tantive IV. I'd like to do the Blockade Runner this weekend if I have time. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was - a little over 1,400 pieces. I was thinking I could probably put it together in an evening, but I don't think I can do it.

Slicker
11-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I've actually got a few LEGO sets on the way out. I've got Anakin's Y-Wing and the UCS AT-ST. Since it costs so much for shipping regardless of what I order I tend to go for the bigger sets so I get more build time for the money. I want some of the smaller sets but shipping would be as much as the set itself.

Ji'dai
11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Are you aboard ship, Slick or ashore on base? I wouldn't think you'd have much room to build or display stuff either way while deployed.

Slicker
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Are you aboard ship, Slick or ashore on base? I wouldn't think you'd have much room to build or display stuff either way while deployed.I get it all shipped out to the ship but I hold onto it all until we pull in to build at my apartment. I just take everything by train though and that's the tough part.

LusiferSam
11-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I still haven't built my System Death Star, but I hope to start construction on it the week of Thanksgiving and put it on display.

You've got a lot more will power than I do if you still haven't put that set together. Very few things will keep me for building a new right away. Let's just say it caused a bit of friction once as an undergrad. :whip:

What's the stand for the Galactic Enforcer made of? I don't recognize those elements off hand.

Ji'dai
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I get it all shipped out to the ship but I hold onto it all until we pull in to build at my apartment. I just take everything by train though and that's the tough part. That just seems really odd having sets sent to the ship. Do you guys all have personal storage lockers aboard ship to hold all the stuff you accumulate by mail or on shore leave? I think I'd just have it sent to family and pick it up when I came back.

You've got a lot more will power than I do if you still haven't put that set together. Very few things will keep me for building a new right away. Let's just say it caused a bit of friction once as an undergrad. :whip: Well, it's a big set and I've been putting it off until I had time to work on the set from start to finish without interruption. I'm thinking the three-day weekend after Thanksgiving will be time enough to finally build the thing.

What's the stand for the Galactic Enforcer made of? I don't recognize those elements off hand. Those are monorail track supports too. I have small ones (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2680) supporting the Y-Wing and the large ones (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2681) under the Galactic Enforcer.

LusiferSam
11-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Those are monorail track supports too. I have small ones (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2680) supporting the Y-Wing and the large ones (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2681) under the Galactic Enforcer.

That would be why. I have never had any of the monorails. I've thought about get a couple and rebuilding them in M-Tron or Blacktron colors. Too many other things to be doing right now though. Maybe one day.

Ji'dai
11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I have all the monorails. I got the Futuron one and the expansion track for it for christmas back in the late 80s. I later bought the other monorails after I got back into collecting again in 1998.

---

Anyone else buy these DK Brickmaster books? There are two of them, one for Castle (http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Brickmaster-Castle-Lego/dp/0756655188) and another for Pirates (http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Brickmaster-Pirates-Lego/dp/0756655196/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b). They are basically idea books that come with bricks and mini-figs. I ordered them from Amazon but I've seen them at the local TJ Maxx for about the same price, $17.

I also ordered the LEGO SW Visual Dictionary that comes with the exclusive Ceremonial Luke fig.

Slicker
11-19-2009, 09:25 AM
That just seems really odd having sets sent to the ship. Do you guys all have personal storage lockers aboard ship to hold all the stuff you accumulate by mail or on shore leave? I think I'd just have it sent to family and pick it up when I came back.
Well, I want to build them ASAP as I have zero patience when it come to LEGO. I want to build them NOW! We have a decent amount of storage space out here. I've got several lockers not including my coffin locker on my rack plus we have a rather large workcenter with plenty of room to store stuff until we get back.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone have any recomendations for DUPLO sets? Thinking basic assortment or just the general rule when it comes to basic Legos, get the most you can afford?

LusiferSam
11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Well what are you looking for in a Duplos set? Are we talking bulk bricks for a toddler to build with or do you want more of theme set.

If you're looking for bulk bricks, currently 6176 (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6176&cn=392&d=104) looks to be best value. Good section of colors and 80 elements of $20, not bad too. But it looks like it's mostly 2x2's. Some of the other bulk packs have a better section of elements but are more expensive.

As for more theme set, you'd need to more specific. Lego has a ton of theme Duplo set what your looking for. S@H's (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Department.aspx?d=104) Duplo page should help.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 03:57 PM
More toddler oriented. While kid won't be there for a year or so, my wife is big on getting things early (and since Legos weren't in China yet, she wants to play with them first).

Ji'dai
11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Since you've got some time before the kid will be old enough to play with them, you'll be able to get sets on sale or even better, on clearance.

I personally think DUPLO sets are a terrible value for the price, so I try to get them for less than MSRP. The LEGO Shop@Home Sales & Deals page (http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/) had quite a few DUPLO sets on clearance but it looks like most have sold out. There's still the Tanker Truck left though. I'm buying for my niece, so that set seems like it'd be a better fit for a boy.

I like the Family House (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=5639&cn=385). Too bad it's 71 pieces for $70.

Ji'dai
11-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I picked up the Agents Mobile Command Center (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8635) at TRU today; my big impulse buy for Black Friday. I haven't previously bought any sets in this theme though I do like the Robo Attack (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8970) set that just came out this year.

The Mobile Command Center is on sale this weekend for $54 (Originally $90). It builds a giant semi-tractor trailer that opens up to reveal the Agents HQ on wheels. It's got 1,154 pieces and comes with 7 mini-figs, or just about the entire team of Agents and the three main bad guys. I didn't think $54 was a bad price for all the stuff you get in the box.

The Command Center is way oversized for regular Town or City themed sets, much like the old Dino Attack vehicles were. But it's really impressive looking from the box pics and from what I've read, is pretty damn big once assembled. It also comes with half a dozen small one-man vehicles.

LusiferSam
11-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I picked up the Agents Mobile Command Center (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8635) at TRU today; my big impulse buy for Black Friday. I haven't previously bought any sets in this theme though I do like the Robo Attack (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8970) set that just came out this year.

The Mobile Command Center is on sale this weekend for $54 (Originally $90).

Darn you! S@H sold out of those in about May and very where local as been out since April. I was hoping to get one. But I never had enough interest to get it earlier or to pay eBay prices for it. Nice find.

Ji'dai
11-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I really never had any interest in the set or the Agents theme in particular, but after I saw the Command Center in the TRU ad and then in store early Friday morning I decided to get one. My store had a stack of them on the floor, along with the Indy Temple Escape, which was marked down to $43.

TRU or LEGO must have had a bunch sitting in some warehouse somewhere and thought it'd be a good Black Friday door buster, because I know it hasn't been on shelves locally in quite some time.

Ji'dai
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Does anyone here own the Taj Mahal?

Ando
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Does anyone here own the Taj Mahal?

Nope. I'd love it along with the Eiffel Tower, but we just don't have room for that stuff yet.

Someday soon we'll have a toy room where I can set up a LEGO city and my SW sets.

Ji'dai
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Of the sets based on landmarks or famous buildings, I like the Taj Mahal the best. I don't really have any interest in the Eiffel Tower.

I'm trying to decide what my next big set purchase will be. The UCS Falcon is officially out of production so I've thought about getting one. Walmart.com dropped the price on the Falcon to $399 on Thanksgiving (the Death Star went down to $318) but they sold out before I could order one.

The Grand Carousel is kinda neat but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on it. There's also going to be a big pirate ship coming next year for $180 which I definitely want.

Slicker
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I got my Y-Wing and UCS AT-ST built. The Y-Wing is very lackluster and not fun at all but the AT-ST is amazing! It's no doubts one of my top 3 sets. I was shocked by the size of it. I figured it'd be big but once I got the legs together I knew it would be the shizznit.

Ji'dai
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Which Y-Wing? I thought the UCS Y-Wing was pretty cool.

The new Clone Wars yellow Y-Wing is pretty neat. Ahsoka's big head pretty much fills up the bubble on the gunner seat. My main gripe is how flimsily the engine nacelles are attached to the fuselage. I think there's only a couple Technic connectors holding each engine on and they wiggle too much when you *whoosh* the ship around.

figrin bran
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
I've been noticing at my local Targets' Christmas section that the mini V-19's and TIE Fighters are all gone and all that's left are Grievous Fighters.

I bought 3 of the V-19's myself but are people really fleet building these ships?

Ji'dai
12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I didn't know that Target carried the MINIs. 'Course the nearest Target is a good hour's drive away so I don't get there very often.

I ordered my mini V-19 from Shop@Home. I don't have any interest in fleet building at this scale though. I suppose their small size makes them decent office desk toys and stocking stuffers.

Ji'dai
12-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Quick pic (http://i47.tinypic.com/fk4rb8.jpg) of the display case. I've got 8 different sets in there from 5 different themes. Can you name them all?

LusiferSam
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Quick pic (http://i47.tinypic.com/fk4rb8.jpg) of the display case. I've got 8 different sets in there from 5 different themes. Can you name them all?

Oh you lair. I see 9 sets represent. :p

Rocket Ride (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3831), a SpongeBob set.
Army Men on Partol, Toy Story
8072 and 8073 (I can't remember the set numbers), both Atlantis.
Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7754), SW
Death Star (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10188), SW
Mid Scale Flacon (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7778), SW
Fighter Plane Attack (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7198), Indiana Jones.

And set number 9 are some of the mini-figures from The Battle of Endor (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8038) in the Home One Briefing room.

Give us a challenge next time. :p

Ji'dai
12-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, those are all correct. I didn't count the Endor set in the group since there are just mini-figs from it in there.

And I'm surprised you found the Falcon. I missed it myself when I typed up the post and had to go back and edit it!

figrin bran
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I've had the Clone Wars Y-Wing for a few weeks now but finally built it tonight. Took me about an hour and a half.

Besides the ease with which the engines wiggle, the fact that there's no hinge for the gunner canopy and you have to physically pry it open detracts a bit from an otherwise solid set.

Ji'dai
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Tools of the Trade

I was trying to come up with an easy way to remove tiles from a baseplate. I tried a metal knife but it can mar the bricks if you're not careful. So I thought what about a plastic knife (http://i50.tinypic.com/x1gl00.jpg)? I don't know what this plastic knife is made out of, but if it's softer than the ABS the LEGO is made from I shouldn't have to worry about damaging the bricks. It is pretty effective.

Regrets of a Pack Rat

I was thinking I'd kept all the packaging and stuff my sets came in, but it turns out I didn't. I bought 3 Freestyle buckets in the late 90s that I ended up giving away (minus the bricks inside, of course) at a yard sale. I'd kept them for a long time but never actually used them for storage. I got tired of them taking up space and always having to move 'em around so they went into the "free" box at sale. The bad thing is those buckets have decals on them with the parts inventory for the set. Oh well.

Ando
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I bought 10 each 6 qt Sterilite bins the other day that were on sale for $1 each (what does these normally cost?) to keep my LEGO sets in for when I want to change up the displays and put the older ones away temporarily.

I broke down my Twilight set and had *just* enough room for it + the instruction book(s).

Some of the smaller sets can go in these assembled or partially broken down along with other sets + the instruction books.

So far it's been a good system and because they're uniform in size and they're stackable, I can just fold down the LEGO boxes and keep those flattened and in the garage until I decide what I want to do with them permanently.

Ji'dai
02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
The 6 quart totes would work if you have a small collection. I still store a couple dozen sets in their original boxes (vintage stuff from my childhood), but most of my 890-set collection is in zip-lock bags and stored in seven, 50-gallon Rubbermaid tubs (big enough to pass for a bathtub). The problem is the tubs become extremely heavy once full of LEGO. I can lift them by myself, but it's a lot easier with two people at each end. It's also difficult when I want to dig out a set or two.

I bought a bunch of these Sterlite 65-quart totes (http://i47.tinypic.com/2mfaps0.jpg) shortly before christmas and am seriously thinking about migrating my zip-locked bagged LEGO sets into them. I currently store my Indiana Jones sets in these totes (57 sets fill 1 tote and 1/2 of another) and my Adventurers sets (44 sets fill 3/4 of one tote). These totes are easier to handle and carry around even when full.

Problem is I have over 200 Town sets and over 300 Star Wars sets, plus dozens of sets in various other themes. Not all sets take up the same amount of space course, so it's hard to gauge how many totes it will take to store everything.

Ando
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
The 6 quart totes would work if you have a small collection.

Problem is I have over 200 Town sets and over 300 Star Wars sets, plus dozens of sets in various other themes. Not all sets take up the same amount of space course, so it's hard to gauge how many totes it will take to store everything.

Exactly. My collection is still relatively small compared to yours (I've only been buying LEGO's again since January 2009) and the 6 quart bins were just the beginning so that I could rotate out older sets for display and keep purchasing newer sets and still have room to display them.

Fortunately most of my Star Wars sets (until we have a houe with a dedicated LEGO room, I am limiting myself to just SW) will fit in those little bins right now.

The bigger sets like the Death Star, LAAT/i, LAAT/c, AT-TE, AT-OT, Venator, and Tantive IV will stay assembled and displayed because of how long it takes to assemble them and how large and impressive they are.

LusiferSam
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't remember off hand what size tub I use. I have both Rubber Maid and Sterilite. They're big enough to hold a large number of disassemble sets, but small enough I can still lift them. I'll check once I get home.

I'm still working on try to inventory my tubs. I got two done, but the rest are still waiting. It's not that I'm putting off do this, it's just I've had other stuff that needs to be done or I'm doing (like putting together new sets).

Changing gears, I just found a motor for my Motorized Truck Set (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/310_1). The seller claims it is a working motor, but I haven't tested it yet. I still don't have a battery pack or wires. All I really need to test it is 3 C cells and some wire going from the batteries. a 4.5 V motor seems really weird to me, as I'm used to 3 V (vintage SW) or 9 V (90s and later Lego motors).

LusiferSam
02-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Ok, currently I'm using 18 gal Rubber Maid. Again the weight is very manageable when full.

I've recently found my self looking for some Space sets. I need one more M:Tron set to complete the theme. TheBeacon Tracer (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6833) seems to be one of those hard to find small sets. I won't buy without the instructions and am having trouble with the typical cost. I don't want to pay $12 for a set the sold for $3. The sets I've been looking for are Blacktron I sets. They don't seem to show up on eBay that often.

My main focus for older sets is still Castle. I've got all the easy stuff, now it's the hard stuff. The small pre '84 and post '96 sets. The pre '84 sets are a pain because of how little is known about them. And post '96 ones are just rare.

LusiferSam
02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Well continuing my occasional purchases of Samsonite bricks, I recently got some more. This time they're CA bricks rather than the more common ABS. The warpage is a little worst than the CA bricks I got this past summer, but still very moderate. In addition to the normal bricks got a couple of flags, some street signs, windows, slope bricks (including a rare double concave / double convex (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/962)) and a 1961 Samsonite catalog. The windows likely form the set 214 (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/214-2) as I have one of each type of window, expect for large panorama which I have only the glass for. The street signs maybe 232 (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/232-2). The real problem is the Samsonite version is different from the UK version, whish is different from the European version. Peeron and Lugnet both seem oblivious to this fact and Bricklink notes the differences but doesn't do anything about it.:frus: The slope brick might be 280 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/280_3). I'll like just lump most these in the Town Plan (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/725-3) I got last summer.

Ji'dai
02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I remember those window bricks. I still have a few of the 1x2 and 1x4 classic kind with short sill. I don't think I've ever seen the longer 1x6 kind or the panorama before. Slopes and tiles were some of my favorite specialty bricks when I was a kid. Probably because I had so few of them in my collection.

---

Back to storage, I saw those 6-quart totes that Ando is buying for his sets at WM. They do run about $1 usually and are intended for women's shoes. I've bought a couple of them in the past myself to store action figure accessories. I have a couple plastic pencil boxes for that purpose as well.

---

I stayed home this weekend and weathered the winter storm by reorganizing my LEGO collection. I moved all my bagged sets from seven 50-gallon tubs (such as these (http://i26.tinypic.com/10mkn43.jpg)) to twenty 65-quart totes (http://i46.tinypic.com/23j51f9.jpg) and stacked them in the garage along the wall. I'd like to get some plywood and put between each tote to help distribute the weight so it's not all pushing directly down on the lids. I also have four totes not pictured, 2 have Indiana Jones, 1 has Adventurers, and the other has monorail track, boat hulls, and misc. parts. I keep baseplates, electrical components, 9V train track, and mini-figs in the house.

I'd like to buy another 6-10 totes for future expansion and to split some themes into their own totes. I thought I could combine space & trains together for instance, but they're really gonna need to be stored separately.

LusiferSam
02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I image those 65 quart tubes have got to be a lot easier to move. I've thought about organizing my tubes by theme, but never have. It's more important that I have the instructions organized by theme. If a set in a zip lock bag that means I'm not planning on putting it back out on the shelves.

Any I'm doing my own reorganizing today. I'm finally getting back to around to inventorying my tubes. The Super Bowl isn't doing much to for me (I could careless about either team) and sound a lot more fun. Plus I'm got a bunch of CA bricks I need to up away before Tuesday. One tube down and hoping to finish another here in a little bit.

DarthQuack
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Who has the bigger collection between you two? I'd love to see side by side lists of what you each have :)

Ji'dai
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I image those 65 quart tubes have got to be a lot easier to move. I've thought about organizing my tubes by theme, but never have. It's more important that I have the instructions organized by theme. If a set in a zip lock bag that means I'm not planning on putting it back out on the shelves. I often rebuild older sets when the mood strikes me so I've always wanted to make the ones in storage more accessible. Sometimes a new set purchase will spur me to rebuild older sets too. When I heard that LEGO acquired the Indiana Jones license, I dug out all my old Adventurers sets and rebuilt them for display. Same with Pirates.

The only thing keeping me from putting up a large permanent display is that great scourge, dust. I hate dusting toys so if it doesn't fit inside a display case it doesn't stay on display long.

Who has the bigger collection between you two? I'd love to see side by side lists of what you each have :) Here is my set list (http://jpanix.tripod.com/bricks.html) as of January. That list is pretty much up-to-date except for a couple sets. I have nearly 900 sets and well over a quarter-million bricks in my collection.

Ji'dai
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Meanwhile, at the Ram Household (http://i46.tinypic.com/f2ohv.jpg)...

Hey, it's not all human sacrifice and terror...

LusiferSam
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
That's funny. I went I got my first Indy sets I took apart most of my remaining Adventurers sets. Only Sphynx Secret Surprise (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5978) and the Dragon Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7419) are still together. As for the Pirates, but by the Islander sets (which I hate) and Red Beard Runner (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6289) are still together. Another Pirate set (or three) might have to go into a bag because of the Imperial Ship. Because of it height the only real place I have for it is the table were the other Pirate stuff is. But that table is full.

As for collection size. I have about 525 unique sets. I very, very rarely buy duplicates. And most of the duplicates are parted out and mixed in this the loose bricks. I think I have around 15,000+ loose bricks. This is a rough estimated base on weight. I'm not yet sure how to post the list of set I have. My list is very similar to Ji'dai's. Major differences are Town and Castle. I have very few Town sets, but a larger number of Castle. Other than we have a lot of the same sets.

Ji'dai
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Everyone hates Islanders (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/pirate/islanders)! I loved them. They were actually what got me into collecting actual Pirates sets and Town. I started buying some of the sub-$30 Adventurers sets in the Summer of '98 and fell in love with the palm trees. Back then you could still find Pirates and Islanders sets here and there at retail, along with the occasional Paradisa set. I picked up all the Islanders sets I could find at retail, save one. I had to eBay King Kahuka's Throne, back when LEGO didn't even have it's own category on that site. It was just lumped in with other toys.

DarthQuack
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I always enjoyed the Islanders sets!

I never did get the Enchanted Island set which I always wanted :(

LusiferSam
02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I know a lot of people who like the Islanders. There's just something about I have never liked. Enchanted Island (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6278) is the first set I got that I wondered why I had asked for it. It's semi ugly and very gimmicky. But to each his own. I kept the Islanders stuff together for a long before storing it. Those will be some of the last sets I put back together when I have the room someday.

Ji'dai
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I built my Model Team 5541 Blue Fury/Hot Rod (http://i47.tinypic.com/mtwnb8.jpg) (1995) yesterday afternoon. It also builds this race car as pictured on the back of the box (http://i45.tinypic.com/t7hdfq.jpg).

I bought it from a guy in Germany I met on Lugnet.com about ten years ago. I sent him a request to track down a copy of the set for me, which he did. We had concluded a successful trade prior to this transaction - he sent me a MISB 6271 Imperial Flagship (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6271) (1992) for a US-exclusive MISB 6250 Cross Bones Clipper (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6250) (1997). I think I got the better set there, although the 6250 wasn't available in Europe, so he was able to complete his Pirate ship collection.

So back to the 5541. The box seals were still stuck in place after all these years. The box has the classic cover flap (http://i47.tinypic.com/j67of4.jpg) that opens to reveal a window so you can see what you're getting. Inside is a cardboard tray (http://i45.tinypic.com/i41wz8.jpg) with a plastic insert that contains the bricks. Here is a shot of everything (http://i45.tinypic.com/juzcyb.jpg) in the box.

It had a European mini-catalog from '95 in the box too. I have quite a few of that one already, both US and international. The set uses "old gray" bricks of course, and Technic "macaroni" elements for the exhaust - both the curved 'elbow' kind and straight. I'm not sure LEGO still makes them any more. When I build sets like this, it seems like these older bricks are "harder" than the bricks I get in new sets. Does plastic "cure" over time and become more rigid or am I just imagining things?

It may seem odd to have a set that's 15 years old and never been built. But I have quite a few like that actually. I think the oldest set I have that's still new-in-box is the 6380 Emergency Treatment Center (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6380) from 1987. I think it's part procrastination and a lack of time that's made me put off building a lot of sets. Some are like a fine wine - you let them age to perfection and save them for a special occasion.

I do have several SW sets I've never built, mostly stuff from the Episode I era - Watto's Junkyard, Pod Racer Bucket, MTT, Darth Maul bust, Yoda sculpture, etc. That movie was so bad I just never felt like building any more sets from it.

Tonight I'm going to crack open this 5590 Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck (http://i49.tinypic.com/fuave1.jpg) from 1990. One box seal was already broken, but the other was intact. I also bought this one about 10 or 11 years ago. It's tweny years old and has never been assembled!!

LusiferSam
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Really? You have sets you've never built? I could understand duplicates, but
to have never even touch a copy. Well I guess it's like carded figures, I'll never get why some people collect only MOC. When I get a new set (or at least new to me) I always build as soon as possible. I think I've hinted at this before but my compulsion to build new sets put another nail in the coffin of an already troubled relationship. :rolleyes:

I bought it from a guy in Germany I met on Lugnet.com about ten years ago.
It was JoJo? JoJo is a fairly prominent German collector and a really nice guy. I've had some interaction with him on some other sites and his is always great to talk to.

The set uses "old gray" bricks of course, and Technic "macaroni" elements for the exhaust - both the curved 'elbow' kind and straight. I'm not sure LEGO still makes them any more. When I build sets like this, it seems like these older bricks are "harder" than the bricks I get in new sets. Does plastic "cure" over time and become more rigid or am I just imagining things?

This piece (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=71075), right?. Well according to Bricklink (Peeron is offline again) they were last used in '08. So I'd say Lego is still making them. If terms of the bricks fitting tighter I know just what you're talking. I've had the same thing to me. It's a major debate on the Lego boards (Lugnet, Eurobricks, Bricklink, CC, and FBTB) as to whether older bricks fit tighter and Lego's quality control has changed, or if this is part of the aging process. I'm not sure any consensus has been reached. All I know for sure is Lego has said point blank, quality control has not changed in 50 years.

Tonight I'm going to crack open this 5590 Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck (http://i49.tinypic.com/fuave1.jpg) from 1990. One box seal was already broken, but the other was intact. I also bought this one about 10 or 11 years ago. It's tweny years old and has never been assembled!!

5590 is one of my favorite sets. This was the first set I really bought with my own money. I talked my mom is starting my allowance again and upping it from $1 to $5. I remember the price of 5590 being more like $95, not $80, because at $5 a week it should have taken me close to 5 months. Any way by Christmas I had save enough to by one. My dad when to the toy store on Dec 26 to buy it. He give like $30 back after I paid him back because he was so impressed how well I had saved up for this. He told it was for saving, but it was my money so I could do what I wanted with it. Great set and great memories.

Ji'dai
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Really? You have sets you've never built? I could understand duplicates, but to have never even touch a copy. Well I guess it's like carded figures, I'll never get why some people collect only MOC. When I get a new set (or at least new to me) I always build as soon as possible. I think I've hinted at this before but my compulsion to build new sets put another nail in the coffin of an already troubled relationship. :rolleyes: I don't know how to explain it. In the late '90s I was buying so much LEGO, most of it older, out-of-production sets from overseas, that I just couldn't build it fast enough. I just put it into storage and it's sat there untouched for years. Four or five years ago I dug out a bunch of old sets and built them for the first time - among them an original release Black Seas Barracuda from 1989 that had never been assembled and an Airport Shuttle from the early 90s that was untouched by human hands, just to name a few. The BSB was the US release and had shooting cannons in it - this was before they pulled them out of the US market. I still have several dozen old (pre-96) Town sets that have never been built.

It was JoJo? JoJo is a fairly prominent German collector and a really nice guy. I've had some interaction with him on some other sites and his is always great to talk to. No, I don't think so. I found the original post on Lugnet.. it was in 2000. We used our real names over there!

This piece (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=71075), right?. Well according to Bricklink (Peeron is offline again) they were last used in '08. So I'd say Lego is still making them. Yeah, that's the one. I guess I'm not accustomed to seeing them as much.

If terms of the bricks fitting tighter I know just what you're talking. I've had the same thing to me. It's a major debate on the Lego boards (Lugnet, Eurobricks, Bricklink, CC, and FBTB) as to whether older bricks fit tighter and Lego's quality control has changed, or if this is part of the aging process. I'm not sure any consensus has been reached. All I know for sure is Lego has said point blank, quality control has not changed in 50 years. It's not just the bricks fitting together more tightly but it seems like they're harder. I can scratch and crease new bricks with my fingernail - which I sometimes do trying to get them apart. But these older bricks are like rocks.

5590 is one of my favorite sets. This was the first set I really bought with my own money. I talked my mom is starting my allowance again and upping it from $1 to $5. I remember the price of 5590 being more like $95, not $80, because at $5 a week it should have taken me close to 5 months. Any way by Christmas I had save enough to by one. My dad when to the toy store on Dec 26 to buy it. He give like $30 back after I paid him back because he was so impressed how well I had saved up for this. He told it was for saving, but it was my money so I could do what I wanted with it. Great set and great memories. That a pretty cool story. I bought my 5590 sometime between 1999 and early 2001. I don't recall who I acquired it from, but it's definitely from Europe. I might've bought it from a guy in Italy. Seems like all of Italy suddenly got access to the internet in 1999-2000 and there were a ton of old LEGO sets being offered online. Stores in the US clearance out old stock but in other parts of the world it just sits in shops gathering dust. I was reading over on Lugnet last week about some bicycle shop someone discovered in Norway that still had sets from the 1980s and early 1990s on the shelf.

LusiferSam
02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
No, I don't think so. I found the original post on Lugnet.. it was in 2000. We used our real names over there!

The guy I'm talking still goes by Jojo even on Lugnet. Formally it's Johannes Jojo Koehler on Lugnet. Again super nice and very knowledgeable.

Ji'dai
02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Nope, it wasn't Johannes. This guy may have been a US serviceman stationed there since he could send packages stateside using USPS domestic rates.

I started building the 5590 last night around 8:30 and quit at 10. I got the helicopter finished and started on the truck cab chassis.

LusiferSam
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I seems to remember that it took me like half the day to build 5590 the first time. I'm think now it would only be a few hours. I'm not sure I building stuff faster, but maybe staying more focused.

I've come real close to joining Lugnet a couple of times. But I just can't do. First, I have a lot of trouble with not being able to have any alias for a user name. I just need the level privacy. Second, I can't justify the cost. $10 isn't much and I can afford it, but what I'd get for my $10 isn't worth it to me. There's plenty of sites that offer what Lugnet does for free.

LusiferSam
02-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Who has the bigger collection between you two? I'd love to see side by side lists of what you each have :)

After a lot of tries I've decide this is the easiest way for you to see what I have. I made a profile (http://www.brickset.com/search/?OwnedBy=LusiferSam) on Brickset and have most of my collect listed on there now. It about 95% complete. There's a few sets Peeron lists which Brickset doesn't and few Brickset does that Peeron doesn't. Between the two list there's about 30 sest not listed on the Brickset list (which should be tons of fun to figure out). I'll be updating the list as I can.

Ji'dai
02-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I seems to remember that it took me like half the day to build 5590 the first time. I'm think now it would only be a few hours. I'm not sure I building stuff faster, but maybe staying more focused.

I've come real close to joining Lugnet a couple of times. But I just can't do. First, I have a lot of trouble with not being able to have any alias for a user name. I just need the level privacy. Second, I can't justify the cost. $10 isn't much and I can afford it, but what I'd get for my $10 isn't worth it to me. There's plenty of sites that offer what Lugnet does for free. I worked on the 5590 again last night (8:30-10) but only completed the truck cab. I should be able to knock out the trailer much more quickly.

Lugnet was free when I "joined," but that was when it first opened. I've never actually paid for a membership, although I could've been one of the first group had I done so.

---

Not counting duplicates, I have around 570 unique sets. So over 300 sets in my collection are duplicate copies. I mostly buy duplicates of SW sets (to army build troopers and fleet build ships) and Indiana Jones (love the vechicles and figures).

LusiferSam
02-19-2010, 01:22 AM
As a warning my dyslexia is really bad today. I've found dozens of mistakes in this post. If it's unreadable I'll try and it fix them.

I seem to remember Lugnet being free when I first found it. That might have even have been in high school. Many of the earliest Lego fan sites I when to are long gone or highly evolved. One of the few I bookmarked (and still have for whatever reason) was Fibblesnork. It was like an early Lugnet, but without the message boards. The first time I came close to joining Lugnet was late '99. I had filled out the membership form in it's entirety (which is quite long for those that don't know), but stopped when I looked at membership fee section. What Lugnet offers just isn't worth $10 to me.

I've pretty much finished with the Brickset list. There's about 10-12 sets I have that Brickset doesn't have an entry for. In the process of cross checking my Brickset list with my Peeron list I discovered there were a few sets I own that weren't on my Peeron list. Most notable the Blacksmith Shop (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3739), the Temple of Doom (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7199) and King Leo's Castle ([url=http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6091). Makes me wonder what else might be missing.:Ponder: Any way ignoring the guide books that puts me at about 545 sets.

Ji'dai
02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I remember Fibblesnork. I used to consult that site daily back when I was shopping for Pirate sets I'd missed. It was another of Todd Lehman's websites. During the great upheaval, he let the domain lapse and it was incorporated into Lugnet, which began to entropy around the same time.

Ji'dai
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, I finished the 5590 on Friday. Here is another pic of it fresh out of the box:

http://i46.tinypic.com/wm11mb.jpg

I took some comparision shots of it next to the Agents Mobile Command Center:

http://i46.tinypic.com/msg30i.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2hdb0k5.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ywzv3k.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/e9f80i.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/qpc.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/eq6yyf.jpg

Both semis are roughly the same size and length. The Agents one is System scale, of course.

Next up is this Racing Truck from '99:

http://i47.tinypic.com/23kdjwo.jpg

That was the last year for Model Team.

LusiferSam
02-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Interesting. The Agents Mobile Command Center is smaller than I thought it would be. That's one of those sets I was hoping to get and some how slipped right though my fingers. Oh well, it was those I want because it looked interesting rather than a real interest in the Agents line.

I just lost a frustrating auction for 5909 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5909_2). It went for much more than I was hoping and I got out snipped in the last seconds. It's one of those sets you kick yourself for not buying went you could. I saw it at a TRU back in '98 and skipped it because I thought I already owned (yet another problem with the Adventurers line, sets that look the same). About a year later I realize my mistake, but by then it was too late.

Ji'dai
02-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I never had any real interest in the Agents line either. Then I found a stack of Mobile Command Centers at TRU on Black Friday morning for $53, so I snagged one. It's a neat set; I have no regrets getting it. There's even a working overhead projector in the trailer! A light brick shines on a clear trans window with graphics on it and the image is projected onto the wall behind. I thought that was really clever. You could do a similar thing in a movie theater to project an image onto the screen.

I remember seeing that 5909 Treasure Raiders at TRU back in the day. I didn't hem-and-haw over it though, Adventurers was my favorite theme so I quickly snatched it up! I love the biplane in that set, which is why I bought a second copy of it later on.

There were a lot of exclusive sets with unique packaging in that theme. I remember one that had several smaller sets and came with a briefcase for storage. Then there was the set with the zeppelin storage case in the Amazon subtheme. I've never opened that one.

LusiferSam
02-21-2010, 12:22 AM
There were a lot of exclusive sets with unique packaging in that theme. I remember one that had several smaller sets and came with a briefcase for storage. Then there was the set with the zeppelin storage case in the Amazon subtheme. I've never opened that one.

Adventurers are almost as bad as Ninja (or maybe worst) for small exclusives sets. They're all a giant pain to track down if you miss them and even loose they cost a ton. I remember the Zeppelin (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5956) real well. Every place I looked for one was sold out, including S@H. So I missed that one too.:frus: I have no idea what this briefcase group was. Do you know what sets were a part of it?

Ji'dai
02-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I was thinking the set with the briefcase was like a value pack with several small sets, but apparently it only came with one, 3722 Treasure Tomb. I found a pic on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Adventurers-3722-Treasure-Tomb/dp/B002XZK2WQ) of the set shrinkwrapped with the storage case, but I can't remember if that was how it was actually packaged or not. It may have been.

LEGO's set numbers for Adventurers makes it really difficult to keep track of what was released, especially after ten years. The exclusive set numbers are the worse. Some of the instructions have set numbers that differ from the set number on the box itself.

LusiferSam
02-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Well, learn something new everyday. I thought 3722 came with a tube Mummy case. Guess not. 5919 (which is the same set) came with tube case. I don't remember seeing either of the these in TRU back in the day. But then again in '98 most of my trips to TRU was for POTF2 figures.

This whole deal with multiply set numbers for one model drives me nuts. I just discovered that I've never owned the Pirate set 1802 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1802). Instead I have 1747 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1747). They the same set. Wanna know the difference? 1802 is a US set sold in a poly bag and 1747 is a non US sold in a box. Again Ninja and Adventurers have to be the two worst. Almost all of the exclusive sets from the Ninja have a Kabaya (a Japanese candy company) version and a non-Kabaya version. It's a total nightmare if you collect those lines.

Ji'dai
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
The 3722 I have was bundled with the gold storage briefcase and sold at TRU as an exclusive. Oddly, the instructions for set 3722 have the set number "5919" on the cover.

Talk about confusing!

Apparently 3722 was bundled with the Mummy storage (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390075791409) tube and also released as set 5919.

Now the 5909 Treasure Raiders (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/File:5909-Treasure_Raiders_set_with_Mummy_Storage_Container. jpg) I own and purchased at TRU also came bundled with the Mummy storage tube. The instructions for that set have set numbers 2879, 5909, and 5948 printed on the cover!

If you compare the two Mummy sets, you'll see that the 5919 has the blue-white stripped decals applied to the head. In the 5909, the decals are not applied and are included on a decal sheet inside the box. I know this because I never applied the decals to the two Mummy tubes I have from my 5909 Treasure Raiders.

---

As long the sets are the same, I don't really care whether it was the US release or not. I too have the boxed 1747 instead of the bagged 1802. Shop@Home offered 1747 in the catalog and I ordered a couple. I never bothered going after the Kabaya, Shell, or other company exclusives. Some of those small sets don't seem worth going to the trouble to collect them.

---

I bought some 4'x8' 1/2-inch sheets of OSB last Friday to make shelves for my LEGO storage totes. I ripped them Saturday and put them between the rows of totes (http://i45.tinypic.com/10fu93c.jpg) to help distribute the weight so the totes aren't pressing straight down on the lids of the totes below them. Next I'll buy some 2'x4's to make the frame to support the shelves.

darthbooger
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know how huge the Lego Death Star ends up being once its built? I have it but dont know if I have the space.:tired:

Ando
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know how huge the Lego Death Star ends up being once its built? I have it but dont know if I have the space.:tired:

Which Death Star? The Systems one with all the minifigures and diorama scenes/rooms or the UCS Collector Series Death Star II that's just the outside of the second Death Star?

Ji'dai
02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
The System Death Star is 16" tall and 16-1/2" wide. I don't know about the UCS Death Star II.

darthbooger
02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow, thats big. I may have room for it though if I put the Gi Joe Pit playset in storage where it needs to go lol.

Ji'dai
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I took some shots of my Adventurers 5956 Air Zeppelin:

http://i48.tinypic.com/v2v4o0.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/mrtpbc.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/121enp2.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/15nsqi0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2wmhwzs.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mxg469.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/258s60m.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/289ilqv.jpg

I bought it in '99 and still have never opened the thing.

LusiferSam
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok now you're just making me jealous. :p 5956 is one of those I'm not sure how I missed, but I did. It's about number 3 on my list of most wanted sets. For those curious number 1 is the crossbow cart (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6004).

If I didn't already have a bunch of the exclusives I might skip hunting them down. Besides I really like some of the minor sets. The red Ninja Master's Boat (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3075) is a cool looking sets. It's pretty realistic and not overly silly. The problem is it's a Kabaya only set. Like all of the Kabaya set it's rare and going to terrible expensive. I dread the cost of 3345 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3345). Thankful Pirate end in '97 right before the madness of the '98-00's expensives. Getting the minor Pirate set was pretty easy. The hardest one for me turned out to be Barnacle Bay (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1729).

I'd skip junk like 2539 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2539) and 2848 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2848), but the completest in me says I won't have all of the Fright Knights line without them. Beside if I didn't have these to look for I'd have to expend into other themes. :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I've never bothered trying to be LEGO complete in any theme or subtheme. It's nice when it happens, but I often don't want to go through the trouble or expense to acquire some dinky set I can usually build myself. I don't collect some things, such as keychains and magnets either. So I'll never truly be SW or Indiana Jones complete.

I built a classic Pirate collection from scratch in the late 90s but pretty much wrote off all the small impulse sets. I ended up with quite a few of them anyway. I really wanted a MISB 1788 Pirate's Chest (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1788), but was outbid in the two auctions I tried for one. I haven't looked for that set in over ten years.

pbarnard
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I think the closest I ever came to completing a set or subtheme was Blacktron 2, but even than I wasn't very close. I liked the 2 part ships that could be made, sort of a command pod that could be interchangable with most if not all the other sets that had the command pod.

6832 Super Nova II (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6832)
6851 Tri-Wheeled Tyrax (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6851)
6878 Sub Orbital Guardian (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6878)
6887 Allied Avenger (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6887)x2
6933 Spectra Starguider (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6933)
6981 Aerial Intruder (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6981)

After that, it was Town Space Shuttles or Launching crews.
1682 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1682)
6346 Launch Crew (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6346)
6544 Shuttle Transcon 2 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6544)
6516 Moon Walker (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6516)

However the set that brings me the most joy is the 6080 King's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080) despite losing several parts at my grandmother's before taking it home.

These are mostly in a box right now, waiting to be reassembled when the baby is old enough not to swallow the parts. :( But I can honestly say that this and the dozen or so other sets I'm not mentioned have helped me greatly in developing the dexterity necesary to work with small tools and isolate small anatomical structures in the lab.

LusiferSam
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
These are mostly in a box right now, waiting to be reassembled when the baby is old enough not to swallow the parts.

A good friend from high school is expecting her first child. Last time we talk she told me what she and her husband were do to baby proof their house. The husband is a bit of the big kid type. I'm wondering how much my friend is going to have tell him to pick his stuff up. Given the number of sets I own I have often wondered how it's going to work if or when I have kids.

I don't collect the magnets or keychains either. I don't really view them as being part of the theme. They're exact or supplementary or something else in my mind. I do have a few keychains, but I use them. My office key I kept on a X-Wing Luke keychain until the legs started falling off. Now I use a red 2x4 brick.

When I started go back a get older sets I had missed I already had most of the Pirates sets. I was only missing about 6 sets. Counting 1871, 1872 and 1873 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1729) as one set, only four were under 50 pieces. Of those only 1889 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1889) was hard to find. But that was close to 8 years ago. With Castle I already have gotten all the easy to find sets. Starting with 1917 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1917) they have became much harder and much more expensive. A few rare sets I have assembled. For example 0016 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/0016) is a very rare set. But I bought the pieces over a couple of years and now have an assembled version.

pbarnard
02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Such a bad thing, reading this thread and discovring lugnet.com with 2 hours to kill while experiments run...

I filled my 6080 up later with

6008 Royal King (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6008) (DUH!!!)
6009 Black Knight (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6009)
6016 Knight's Arsenal (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6016)
6018 Battle Dragon (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6018)
6020 Magic Shop (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6020)Although I thought it was also called Majisto's Hut?
6021 Jousting Knights (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6021)
6054 Forestmen's Hideout (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6054)

It was just fun building and rebuilding an it all. Well that's all the castle stuff I got. It's a lot of fun.

There's no way I'm going backward to try to fill stuff in.

Ji'dai
02-23-2010, 11:10 PM
There for awhile there LEGO was re-releasing classic sets from Town, Castle, Pirates, and Trains as "Legends (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/legends)." There were some minor differences from the original vintage sets since some parts are no longer in production, but they were pretty close to having the original thing. I bought a few of them, but unfortunately many of the sets LEGO chose to re-release as Legends were ones I'd already paid a fortune for on the secondary market. I was really hoping they would re-release some classic Space sets but they never did.

LusiferSam
02-24-2010, 09:28 PM
The only one of these Legends sets I have is U.S.S. Constellation (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10021). The others I might have gotten I have the original version of from childhood. The only exception is Black Falcon's Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074), I bough off eBay back in 2000. I was very disappointed in this line. Ok the Constellation, Barracuda and Black Falcon's Fortress are legends. They're the pinnacle of they're lines. The Hot Rod and Main Street very good, but on a important as some others. The Guard Inn and Metro Liner are both ok, but not legends. The rest is junk.

Ji'dai
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
The impression I have from my time on Lugnet is the Guarded Inn and Metroliner were both highly regarded sets. Auctions for the Metroliner & the Club Car really attracted a lot of attention and typically sold for several hundred dollars. The Guarded Inn was a like a grail for many. I don't think it was released in the US and it also has some rare parts, such as the red & black "Tudor" walls and the maiden's hat.

As far as Legends (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/legends) go, I had four of them already (Pizza to Go, Breezeway Cafe, BSB, & Hot Rod). I bought the others except for the Black Falcon's Fortress, which I now regret. I wish now I'd bought another BSB too.

There were other "non-Legends" re-releases too - Islanders Enchanted Island (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=enchanted+island) got a second wind in 2001 as well as the Gas N' Wash Express (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=gas+n%27+wash+express). Was the famous "yellow" 375/6075 Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375_2) offered again? I thought I remember seeing it in a Shop@Home catalog.

---

I was at WM yesterday and saw the new straight-to-DVD animated LEGO movie, The Adventures of Clutch Powers. I doubt I'll be getting a copy. The Atlantis half-hour animated special on Cartoon Network was cute, though a bit tedious to sit through, even for 30 minutes. So I'm not sure I can watch a feature-length LEGO cartoon.

LusiferSam
02-25-2010, 04:38 PM
That's not exactly true for the Guarded Inn. It was a S@H exclusive for at least 4 years. That's how I got my in '90. The box has a different feel to it. It's hard to explain other than it seems different than a US set for the time. I also think it was a trilingual box, which at the time was unheard of for US sets.

As far as the yellow Caste goes 6075 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6075_2) was the only re-release of 375 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375) that I know of. 375 came out in '78 in Europe and 6075 came out in the US in '81. I'm not sure Lego could re-release the yellow Castle again. Not without major changes to the knights helmets. The visors are unlike anything Lego as made in 25 years.

Ji'dai
02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Other than getting mini-catalogs with a small LEGO Direct order page on the back, I wasn't aware of Shop@Home in the 1980s. I'd stopped collecting all toys by 1988.

I could've sworn I'd seen a yellow castle offered from Shop@Home at some point in the last ten years. It may not have been an exact replica of 375/6075.

pbarnard
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Other than getting mini-catalogs with a small LEGO Direct order page on the back, I wasn't aware of Shop@Home in the 1980s. I'd stopped collecting all toys by 1988.

I could've sworn I'd seen a yellow castle offered from Shop@Home at some point in the last ten years. It may not have been an exact replica of 375/6075.

Could it have been one of those sets selected by people in the design your own series (don't know the name for it)? If not, well the mind is the first thing to go. :p

Ji'dai
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think it was a fan-made set (My Own Creation). Seems like it was similar to the original yellow castle but without the rare parts that make the original so valuable.

LusiferSam
02-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't think it was a fan-made set (My Own Creation). Seems like it was similar to the original yellow castle but without the rare parts that make the original so valuable.

I don't remember any such release. 10176 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10176) is the only re-release outside the Legends line of a Castle set I know of. Lego said it was a re-release of the Royal Knight's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6090), but looked like King Leo's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6091) and was named King's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080). :rolleyes:

Ji'dai
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I remember 10176. Had it been a straight release of 6090 I might've bought it. I regretted not getting that castle when S@H had them. I dunno what set I've got confused with the yellow castle then. I guess pbarnard is right, I must be losing it.

LusiferSam
02-27-2010, 10:47 PM
My biggest issue with 10176 is it's basically a KK2 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/castle/knightskingdomii) set. I'm not real into the KK2 stuff. It's too cartoonish and silly. There's a reason KK2 are known as the Jelly Bean Knights. A few of the later sets are better, but most aren't that good.

figrin bran
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I finally found the Target mini X-wing and Republic shuttles.

For some reason, my stores did not get these in when the Easter sections first went up.

LusiferSam
03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Well I picked up another old set. This time it's the Master Builders set (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/004). It's one of the biggest sets of it's day and highly talked. I'm normally not to picky about box art work, but I really like this one. I've always thought the girl looked like she was building R2-D2 with a head. Plus she looks like a friend from middle school. It's an impressive set, heavy box and thick.

ncbarrett
03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I've always thought the girl looked like she was building R2-D2 with a head.

Hmm, maybe that is where Lucas got the look of R2? Hmm :lipsrsealed:

LusiferSam
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I've had a very interesting weekend. My parents were away for the week, so I was house sitting. A month ago I was asked to locate some family photos as part of a surprise for my mom. While flipping though the photo albums I discovered a very clear photo of an early childhood Lego set. I remember having two Basic sets, a Space set and a Happy Meal set prior to '88. I figured out that Space was the Crate Crawler (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6826) about 8 years. The McDonald's set is a lost cause as I don't remember the year and the databases are highly lacking when it comes to this information.

That just leaves the Basic sets. I've assumed these would just mystery. The first of these I believe to be 333 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/333_1). I remember building the turtle shown on the box numerous times. I know didn't just pull that idea out of thin air, I remember seeing it on the box. Plus the inventory is consisted with parts that I have. It's an educated guess, but still just a guess.

The second set I had no clue on. I knew that parts need to go with it, assume the other set was 333. But that's where the photo comes in. I could clearly read the set number in this photo. Basic set 1922 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1922) was clearly one of my early childhood sets. Not only have a definitely discovered what one of my childhood sets was, but strengthened my hunch on the other set. 1922 includs elements 333 doesn't have and this second set needed to have if I assumed I had 333.

LusiferSam
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I've nearly finished inventorying my tubs of disassembled sets. I was hoping to get to the last tub yesterday evening, but simply didn't have the time. This last tub has a lot of unlabeled bags and is going to take a bit longer because of that. 90% of the time I can easily id a set just by looking at the parts, but that's not the point.

So far the big suprize is how few sets I have in storage. Right now I 248 sets in 7 tubs. Assuming there's another 35 sets in the last tub that's 283 set in storage, which is about half my total collection. I had assumed I had over half in storage a couple of years ago. Guess not.

I've also recently been picking up a bunch of minor sets. Inspired by the fact the I was missing more then 25 Adventurers set, I started targeting those. I found some really deals on sealed copies the Shell sets 2541 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2541) and 2542 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2542). I also found what I have consisted my number one missing set, 6004 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6004).

In a weird and frustrating twist I finally got a sealed copy of Oasis Ambush (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5938) only to discover it's incomplete.:frus: Lego messed this one up as it missing on the 4x12 plates that make up the base. So now this set has the dubious distinction as being the earliest I have to be a factory mistake.:mad:

DarkArtist
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
picked up an extra set of the Target Easter X-Wing and Republic Shuttle sets the other day and yesterday my wife bought me the Lego Architecture Series Guggenheim Museum...

spotted the Prince of Persia sets as TRU in East Brunswick as well...they might look good as an additional Indiana Jones sets but I'll pass on them at this time

DarkArtist
04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
spotted the Toy Story 3 Lego Sets yesterday at Walmart. they had 2 of them a Train Rescue set and it looked like a factory type set, not sure of the price on these but they looked nice.

picked up the Lego Army Men set as well as the Buzz and Woody to the Rescue set with RC. put them together the other night along with the extra Target Easter Sets. sorta had a Lego build-a-thon Night.

sonofsokol
05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
At the recent Toys R Us buy one get one 1/2 off sale I picked up the Battle of Endor set and the Twilight Ship for my son. Its his 5th birthday tomorrow so I have been putting the Endor set together a bit at a time after he goes to sleep every night this week. I am leaving the minifigures for him to put together, but wanted to have the rest completed...he gets a little impatient putting the bigger sets together. I am having my wife wrap the big empty box and then I'll bring it out after he unwraps it. It is a really cool set with the AT-ST and all the minifigures. I am saving the Twilight for Christmas, if I can stand to wait that long.

Ando
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
At the recent Toys R Us buy one get one 1/2 off sale I picked up the Battle of Endor set and the Twilight Ship for my son. Its his 5th birthday tomorrow so I have been putting the Endor set together a bit at a time after he goes to sleep every night this week. I am leaving the minifigures for him to put together, but wanted to have the rest completed...he gets a little impatient putting the bigger sets together. I am having my wife wrap the big empty box and then I'll bring it out after he unwraps it. It is a really cool set with the AT-ST and all the minifigures. I am saving the Twilight for Christmas, if I can stand to wait that long.

We have both of those sets! I got the Endor set for my wife... She loves it!

The Twilight was one of the first new LEGO sets I bought back in January 2009 when I started buying SW LEGO sets and it's a B**** to put together. It's assymmetrical, so unlike some SW sets where you build one wing (or leg, or whatever) and then build the opposite side at the same time and in reverse, it's just one big mess because other than the main box (and even then!) there's no rhyme/reason to the design (the ship, not the LEGO design).

sonofsokol
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I had debted between the Twilight and the Home One set with the A-wing, but it sold out by the stores near my house, so I ended up with the Twilight kind of by default. The Gunship and AT-TE look really cool, but I went with the Twilight because I figured that it likely won't get made in the main Hasbro line like the Gunship and AT-TE have, so it would be more unique that way. Too bad it is so crazy to assemble... that is especially frustrating since I end up reassembling my son's legos quite frequently... Oh well, that's half the fun I guess.

DarkArtist
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
hey does anyone know when the blind packs of Lego people are going to be hitting retail... so far i have checked a few stores and the people all look at me like i have 20 heads or something.

LusiferSam
05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
You mean the Collectible Minifigures, 8683 (http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Collectable%20Minifigures&subtheme=Series%201)? Series 1 comes out in the US and Canada in late June. Europe and Australia have them right now, which is there's a big fuss about them. Series 2 will be released some time in the fall. Also in the US they might be a Lego exclusive. I've haven't heard of which stores will be carrying them.

DarkArtist
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
You mean the Collectible Minifigures, 8683 (http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Collectable%20Minifigures&subtheme=Series%201)? Series 1 comes out in the US and Canada in late June. Europe and Australia have them right now, which is there's a big fuss about them. Series 2 will be released some time in the fall. Also in the US they might be a Lego exclusive. I've haven't heard of which stores will be carrying them.

thanks.... i actually found them today at TRU. picked up 10 packs and got 5 Crash test Dummies, 1 Caveman, 1 robot, 1 EMT, 1 Ninja and 1 Nacho Libre Wrestler.

the retail for $1.99 for each figure.

Ando
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I will have to go to my LEGO store at the local mall and check 'em out, then! Hopefully they will have them if not now, soon.

LusiferSam
05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
I was just going to post I heard some TRU had jumped the gun and put them out early. And I just noticed I said late June, but meant early June. I have no clue when I'm going to be able to find this, so I super jealous right now.

Totally shifting gears, I'm about to have a new oldest set. I've bought some more older sets this week and two of them are from '58. Which is pretty close to being as old as you can get. I'll let you know what they are once they arrive.

LusiferSam
05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
This new stuff arrived yesterday. I'm totally exited about. The first set is the Motorcycles and bikes (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/270_1) set from '58. They basically some of the first Lego figures. They're hand paint and quite unlike anything Lego has made in past 45 years. I looked at getting another set, Traffic Police (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/271-2), but the cost is just so high.

The other older set I picked up was a light brick, 245 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/245). There's a bunch of version of this set, but 245 is the continental European version. Amazingly the still works. I won't say the bulb is 50 years old, but it is old as are the wires. Very cool in my book.

The rest of the stuff was pretty mundane, so I'll skip it unless people are really curious.

DarkArtist
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=LusiferSam;726457]I was just going to post I heard some TRU had jumped the gun and put them out early. And I just noticed I said late June, but meant early June. I have no clue when I'm going to be able to find this, so I super jealous right now.QUOTE]

the tru by me had about a dozen boxes at both the front of the store as well as 5 in the actual Lego section so hopefully these will be plentiful for months to come. I really want an army of the Zombie figure as well as 10 or so of the cheerleader.

LusiferSam
07-19-2010, 02:26 AM
:mad: I have no idea what the problem has been, but S@H has really got me ticked off. For the past week I've been trying to place an order for Grand Emporium. It had been out of stock, but is now back in. So Monday night I trying placing my order. Wouldn't expect my credit card. It was late, I figured I entered some thing wrong and wasn't seeing. Tuesday same thing. Thursday night I called S@H. They said I needed to talk to Customer Service. Friday morning I talked to Customer Service, they said I should talk to the credit card company first. Well there was no point in that as my card was working fine (used twice on Wednesday and one on Friday) and am well below my limit. Saturday I tried calling S@H again and placing a fresh order, same thing. Now Sunday night for the heck of it I tried the web site again. Now it goes through. Grrrrrrrr! :upset:

DarkArtist
07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
so the other day while strolling around the local TRU I wondered into the Lego isle hoping to see some of the new sets of Lego (found the Wampa set and Plo Koon's Starfighter and looking up on the overhead storage shelf I see the set that has eluded for the past few years....

The Lego Death Star.... it was $399.99 and I had the set in my hands and seriously debated buying it right then and there... this is the one set that I have been dying to get since it first came out... thinking of putting it on layaway if they still have it tonight.

LusiferSam
08-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, I continue hunt for older sets. While not a major purchase or find I just got Beacon Tracer (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6833). This is one of two M:Tron sets I didn't get as a kid. Now with set I have complete the subtheme, and is the first time I've completed any subtheme outside Castle or Pirate.

I've found that the recently retied sets have a huge speculators market to them. There's no way I'm paying $300 for a set that cost $50. I know it will hurt Lego and toy companies, but I really hope the collectible toy market has a crash soon.

DarkArtist
08-27-2010, 11:41 AM
was in Walmart last night and noticed something interesting that I'm not sure was mentioned here before A Midi Size Star Destroyer set that say Limited Edition and comes in the blue sky packaging. was tempted to pick it up as the last year's Midi Scale Millennium Falcon was a great set. I think it was $39.99 but it was a really nice set.

also gotta say loved CV and the exclusive White Boba Fett giveaway. not sure if I want to take him out of the baggie or keep him sealed. :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
found Wave 2 of the blind pack Lego People last night in TRU in East Brunswick. picked up the Mime, Lion Tamer, and 2 Karate Champions.

dr_evazan22
09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Was at my local Costco tonight looking for the Hasbro vehicles. I didn't find those, but they had 2 LEGO sets for 48.99.... The Emp's shuttle from ROTS, and the ARC-170.

LusiferSam
09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Recently I've been adding a lot of Adventurers sets my collection. There a lot of these sets that I'm missing for some reason or another. And just the exclusives, but main release sets. I just got the Air Zeppelin (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5956) and Red Eagle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7422). The Red Eagle is a fun little set from the Orient Expedition. And the Air Zeppelin is from the Jungle. It's goofy set, but it works. Now with these two I'm within one set each to complete the subtheme. The Black Cruiser (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7424) for the Orient Expedition and the Jungle Ruler (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5906).

The Black Cruiser should be relatively easy to find, but I'm coming to an end of the easy stuff. I've got a few more 'easy' ones then I'm into the really hard stuff: Kabaya. Kabaya is a Japanese sweets company that between 1998-2000 had about 40 Lego exclusives. Many of these were re-releases of other sets. Some were not. They're difficult to find and always very expensive ($80 for a 30 piece set is low). I don't know if I'll ever get these. I'll keep looking, but price is always going to be the issue.

DarkArtist
09-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Recently I've been adding a lot of Adventurers sets my collection. There a lot of these sets that I'm missing for some reason or another. And just the exclusives, but main release sets. I just got the Air Zeppelin (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5956) and Red Eagle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7422). The Red Eagle is a fun little set from the Orient Expedition. And the Air Zeppelin is from the Jungle. It's goofy set, but it works. Now with these two I'm within one set each to complete the subtheme. The Black Cruiser (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7424) for the Orient Expedition and the Jungle Ruler (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5906).

The Black Cruiser should be relatively easy to find, but I'm coming to an end of the easy stuff. I've got a few more 'easy' ones then I'm into the really hard stuff: Kabaya. Kabaya is a Japanese sweets company that between 1998-2000 had about 40 Lego exclusives. Many of these were re-releases of other sets. Some were not. They're difficult to find and always very expensive ($80 for a 30 piece set is low). I don't know if I'll ever get these. I'll keep looking, but price is always going to be the issue.

i actually have those sets with the exception of the Air Zepplin...love them. to me they were the first Indiana Jones sets to be developed...and they hold up great with the Indy sets of today.

LusiferSam
09-20-2010, 11:01 PM
You know lots of people say that, but I never felt that way. It's clearly inspired by Indy, but it's not Indy. The Egypt sets are the most like Indiana Jones and really some of favorite. I'm not a huge fan of the Dino Island stuff. Honestly might have just skipped that knowing what I know now about (it's too JP 2 for me).

I just picked up some Ninja stuff. Ninja isn't one of my favorite subthemes, but do like it. Normally the small and/or exclusive sets in a subtheme aren't that great. But Ninja has some awesome minor sets. So I just got 1099 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1099) and 1269 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1269). So two more down on a difficult subtheme to complete.

DarkArtist
10-07-2010, 01:56 PM
:thumbsup:found this pick over at Coreplanets.com of the upcoming Wave 3 Lego people blind packs.. can't wait to get some of these figures...definately want the Mummy and the Ape... the Baseball player looks cool as well along with the figures in the back row:thumbsup:

LusiferSam
10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
:thumbsup:found this pick over at Coreplanets.com of the upcoming Wave 3 Lego people blind packs.. can't wait to get some of these figures...definately want the Mummy and the Ape... the Baseball player looks cool as well along with the figures in the back row:thumbsup:

Really? Those two? I'd go for the hula girl and Legolas first. The snowboard chick and samurai look pretty good too. The rest are cool, but not gotta have.

LusiferSam
11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I just picked up a very cool set that I thought I never own. The Weetabix Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/00_1). This is a very rare set from the UK. The instructions have seen better days. They're tape up and feel like tissue, but original and mostly readable. The pieces I believe are assembled rather than original because of the shape they're in. If these were the pieces that came with those instructions, they should be in much worst shape. But are early 70's bricks, so I'm not going to complain too much.

DarkArtist
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
spotted the Target holiday sets this weekend. they still have the X-Wing from last year as well as a couple of Racers, and a city set which looks to be a small Police jetski..

reading reports that there is also a possible ARC -170 for SW in the mix as well as a Toy Story Jeep and Army Men set... haven't seen either.

also picked up the small Speeder Bike with Stormtrooper set from TRU over the weekend for $3.99... it's a nice small set.:thumbsup:

sonofsokol
12-14-2010, 01:32 AM
I just saw that Toys R Us has the new Star Wars sets in stock:

-LEGO Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack (7913) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917826)
-LEGO Star Wars Mandalorian Battle Pack (7914) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917835)
-LEGO Star Wars The Battle of Naboo (7929) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917838)
-LEGO Star Wars Imperial V-wing Starfighter (7915) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917827)
-LEGO Star Wars Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship (7930) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917834)
-LEGO Star Wars T-6 Jedi Shuttle (7931) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917825)

DarkArtist
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I just saw that Toys R Us has the new Star Wars sets in stock:

-LEGO Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack (7913) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917826)
-LEGO Star Wars Mandalorian Battle Pack (7914) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917835)
-LEGO Star Wars The Battle of Naboo (7929) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917838)
-LEGO Star Wars Imperial V-wing Starfighter (7915) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917827)
-LEGO Star Wars Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship (7930) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917834)
-LEGO Star Wars T-6 Jedi Shuttle (7931) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917825)

spotted these sets on TRU.com and was excited... hoping to pick up the Mando and Clone set tomorrow while doing some more Christmas Shopping:thumbsup: