PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Movie review (SPOILER LADDEN!)

jedi master sal
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay let me first reiterate, if you don’t want any spoilers do NOT read any further. You’ve been warned.

I was lucky enough to get to see an advanced screening this morning due to a collector club/501st connection. (Scans of the program and ticket to follow-for proof).

Now let me say this first as an overall impression of the movie:

Excellent, fantastic, I was thoroughly entertained. This IS the new direction of Star Wars and I love it. And I’m confident that many of you will too.

Okay, now to break this down.

There are some things about the movie that will at first unsettle some of us long time fans. To start, will the logo of the “Clone Wars” pops onto the screen, what follows is darn near blasphemy. NO SCRAWL! On top of that no familiar SW theme. Instead we get a sort of disjointed funky version of it. That just doesn’t jive with what we’ve all come to expect from the opening of a SW movie.

Now on top of this, we also do NOT get a space scene to start with some dramatic panning. Instead....and take a breathe folks...we get a scene that is VERY similar to Starship Troopers. It’s as if a reporter is giving the news and there are flashes of characters. I didn’t see him, but my wife swears she saw Greivous for all of 2 seconds in that sequence. If so, then that is the ONLY time he is in the movie. He’s absolutely not in it anywhere else. No doubts he will be in the show. The exact same we can state for Plo Koon and Kit Fisto. For those of you who have seen the trailer with them in it, that’s it. That’s ALL you get of those two venerable Jedi Masters.

Okay, so while I was taken aback by this style of beginning and exclaiming to myself “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” (and something I HOPE LFL changes before the general release of the movie, it’s over quickly. From there it jumps right into the Battle of Christophsis. There is a long 3 minute trailer out there. That covers the majority of this scene....or does it. Turns out it’s only the first part of that battle. There is MUCH more to come.

Let me say this, the action in this movie is FAR superior to any of the prequels and dare I say the OT as well. Now some of that is of course due to the constraints being lifted by using animation instead of live actors. But WOW, was it awesome. The battle just looks so good on the big screen. You get a much fuller feeling for the magnitude of the battle.

Also, we get closer to the clones and you start to actually feel for them a bit and their struggle to win the war. It’s during the lull in the battle that we meet Ahsoka Tano. She’s somewhat brash and very much impatient. Reminds you a lot of Anakin. So it was a good idea to create this character for Anakin to train. I’ll be following this interaction between them closely to see how it develops. I definitely think LFL got the “teenager” aspect down of Ahsoka. The bond she and Anakin make, start off awkwardly from a story point, but it’s supposed to. I enjoyed how their relationship progressed through the movie and it didn’t feel forced to me.

In fact nearly all of the relationships we see feel more real than the real life counterparts of the prequels strangely enough. Anakin and Obi-wan have a much deeper bond in this movie and aren’t bickering so much that it takes away from what we had heard was a great bond between them. Again, in this movie, the bond IS there and you start to actually care about these guys.

Let me turn to the clones for a moment. They were excellent and a character unto themselves, not to mention specific clone commanders. But since we are let’s go over them. Captain Rex is in the movie A LOT! And he’s a very good character. Cody has a much smaller role than Fox, but we do have a little interaction with him. Commander Rex on the other hand...practically nonexistent! If you’re buying the figures based on how they were seen in the movie, Rex is nearly a pass. Again no doubts he’ll be in the show. If not then Target got an exclusive of “blink and you miss him” kind of character. I’ll get to where he is in the movie shortly.

Since we talked about clones, let’s talk a minute about the Separatist forces. In this movie the battle droids account for much of the hokey humor and it WORKS! I enjoyed the banter between them. While ultimately we know that “really wouldn’t happen.” Take this movie at face value as a KIDS CARTOON MOVIE and you will enjoy it that much more. There are so many funny things the battle droids say that it’s hard to even focus on one and I think I’ll leave that for you folks to discover and enjoy for yourselves. Again, I think you’ll like them.

Okay so after the Battle of Christophsis with some small short scenes following, we find ourselves at the Battle of Teth (otherwise known as the B’Omarr Monk Monastery-NOT Jabba’s Palace). Anakin and Ahsoka are sent their to rescue Jabba’s son who’s been taken by “renegades” who we know all the time are really the Separatist. Asaaj is waiting for them there and another great battle ensues with the clones and Jedi making their way up the towering slender peak the monastery is atop of. Along the way Ahsoka challenges Anakin as to who will get to the top first. Through a series of events, Anakin and Ahsoka get away with Rota (for whom Ahsoka refers to as “Stinky,” but not after a short battle with Asaaj Ventress. In the meantime Obi-wan had gone to negotiate with Jabba. He gets a distress call from Anakin at the monastery so he takes off to help. While he goes to rescue Anakin, Dooku is waiting in the wings to talk with Jabba. He convinces Jabba that the Jedi have kidnapped Rota actually and plan to take over Hutt space.

Obi-wan arrives a little before Anakin and Ahsoka escape and in time to have a very cool battle with Asaaj, in which he calls her “darling.” Don’t read anything into it...it was just a comment and I thought it was appropriate for the banter.

With Anakin and Ahsoka on their way to Tatooine to deliver Rota, we get to a scene with Padme talking with Palpatine. She knows of Jabba’s “Uncle” Ziro (pronounced ZERO) the Hutt and how he may be able to help. THIS is where I got BIG disappointment. Not only does Ziro speak english-which we all know is “basic” in SW language, but instead of sounding like a powerful Hutt, he sounds (and this part is going to sound BAD, but please take it in the context it is written) like either he is a bit flamboyant gay or is an african american diva. Not at all like a Hut SHOULD sound. For one, Hutts to NOT speak basic even though they know it and know how to. They don’t speak it because they feel they are ABOVE speaking basic. LFL, NO excuses please about how this particular Hutt has been away from HuttSpace for so long or how he’s eccentric because he’s been on Coruscant. That’s just an excuse in my book to make it easier to understand him since he speaks english. But to the nature of his character SOUNDING like he does, I’m baffled. This is not to say there is anything wrong with being gay or being a diva, it’s just not at all my interpretation of what a Hutt Crimelord should be like. So take that for what it’s worth. I was disappointed Ziro wasn’t like Jabba. You may like the new take on a Hutt though, so that is up to you to decide.

Padme meets with Ziro and he throws her out. Before she leaves, she sees that the IG droid Ziro has in his employ sports a battle droid blaster and realizes something is amiss. She escapes the clutches of the IG droid and sneaks back to Ziro’s chamber to overhear a discussion between him and Dooku.

Turns out that Dooku conspired with Ziro to take Jabbas son and promised Ziro Jabbas territory in exchange for his help, along with the death of certain Jedi. Padme is about to escape when she is caught and imprisoned by Ziro. She does manage to get a message off to C-3PO for help. After a couple of intertwined scenes with Anakin/Ahsoka and Obi-wan’s story arcs, we find C-3PO has indeed come to Padme’s rescue and brought with him the Senate Clones. THIS is where we see Commander Fox, but he’s not names and only seen on the screen a VERY short time.

On Tatooine, Anakin has crashed landed. So he and Ahsoka start their trek over the Dune Sea (he even mentions it). Along the way they feel a presence. They split up. Anakin eventually faces Dooku, while Ahsoka faces 3 Magnadroids. They battle their way to Jabba’s palace to save Rota and clear the Jedi.

They make it there but Jabba decides to kill them anyway. Just before that happens a priority call comes in from Ziro’s palace. It’s Padme and she explains Ziro’s treachery and even has Ziro confessing it all. Jabba is outraged at Dooku and doesn’t kill the Jedi.

So the story ends.

No Armored Y-wings as I had hoped for.
Scant appearances by Jedi we though might have a larger role in the movie.

Big Battle scenes though.

One somewhat troubling scene is that of some bounty hunters heads on a platter being shown. Other than that and all of the battles, it’s a great kids movie. That being said, I still would not recommend this for kids under 10. Pushing that to MAYBE 8 depending on how mature a kid is.

On a scale from 1-5 stars with 5 the best, I’d give this a 4.5 stars. The animation is pretty good, though the walking of the characters could be improved. The opening sequence and my take on Ziro’s character were the only real shortcomings for me. Other than that as I mentioned near the beginning of this post, this IS the direction for SW to take. Texturing of the animation was stellar. We often get closeups of the clone armor for instance and we see the pits and divots in their armor. Oh new Camo scouts are in this and I REALLY dig their armor.

I REALLY hope Hasbro decides to give us realistic versions of these characters as well.

I do have to say that I’m nearly convinced to collect the animated line after seeing the movie. I think I’m going to buy battle packs and other types of multipacks though and avoid single carded figs since I open them anyway and can save money on the battle packs. Except I KNOW I’m getting an Ahsoka figure-with her being alien, I think I can integrate her into the collection and she’ll still somewhat appear to be in place with the realistic figures.

Okay, so please if you have ANY questions about the movie, fire away and I’ll answer them all as best I can. I didn’t cover everything about the movie and can’t remember it all, so I’m definitely still going to see it again on premiere night!

Scans of the ticket and program to follow!

-Sal

jedi master sal
08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
As promised here are the scans:

Front of ticket:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23683004@N06/2747549072/

back of ticket:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23683004@N06/2747549066/

Program (activity book):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23683004@N06/2747549058/

Enjoy!

Battle Droid
08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Is General Whorm Loathsom captured or killed?

Is Darth Sidious in it? (Besides him as Chancellor Palpatine.)

Jar Jar in it? (I hope not.)

jedi master sal
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Is General Whorm Loathsom captured or killed?

Is Darth Sidious in it? (Besides him as Chancellor Palpatine.)

Jar Jar in it? (I hope not.)

Okay, I'm not sure if the Separatist alien in the Tank is him or not as they never called him by name that I can recall. But that alien was eventually captured (but he technically captured Obi-wan first).

yes Sidious is it it, but nothing more than as a holo in transmissions.

NO JAR JAR! (but he WILL be in the TV show-you can see proof of that in the Clone wars Visual Guide-available at stores now.<--sorry,I know that sounded like a commercial)

Battle Droid
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks, and yeah the alien in the tank is Loathsom.:D

Do the Super Battle Droids talk any, if so do they sound like they did in ROTS?

jedi master sal
08-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks, and yeah the alien in the tank is Loathsom.:D

Do the Super Battle Droids talk any, if so do they sound like they did in ROTS?

The SBDs do talk, but it's a low murmur and I don't really recall them saying anything specific. So in that case, I'd suspect they do NOT sound like the ROTS ones.

Neuroleptic
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Not that I dont trust your judgement, Sal, but I think I'm going to wait and see what others say about this movie first before I decide if I'm going to see it in theaters or wait for DVD.

This is because some of what you said sounded cool, and some of it may be juuuuuust enough to make me not able to watch this film.

Specificaly Jaba's Uncle Zero or whatever his name is.

jedi master sal
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
No worries Neuro. To each their own. I suggest EVERYONE see it and decide for themselves.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I have to admit that up until this thread and a discussion I had last week with a friend who has heard nothing but good from "friends" in LA, I had no intention of seeing this film (basically because I'm a big fan of the 2D animated version of the Clone Wars and not a fan of how off track Lucas was with the last three films).

Can't wait until this weekend!

Ando
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Sal,

I'm really excited about seeing this on Friday and my wife has gotten excited about it, too.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Are there any ARC troopers or Republic Commandos in the movie? I'm a huge fan of the GAR special ops forces, so I am hoping they'll be seen at some point.

2. Is the opening sequence at all original like the titles to the Cartoon Network CW cartoon? I.e. the sounds of blasters, sabers, and marching with a distinct logo? That opeing was VERY different from the movies, but very understated and cool.

I'm thinking I may have to do some 'light' army building and get the battlepacks and multipacks like you plan to do. I love the idea of the camo scout troopers. What did their armor/helmet look like? A cross between the biker scout/Kashyyyk-41st Elite trooper helmet and the Phase 1 trooper helmet?

Thanks for answering everybody on this.

jedi master sal
08-12-2008, 01:17 AM
[FONT=Courier New]1. Are there any ARC troopers or Republic Commandos in the movie? I'm a huge fan of the GAR special ops forces, so I am hoping they'll be seen at some point.
2. Is the opening sequence at all original like the titles to the Cartoon Network CW cartoon? I.e. the sounds of blasters, sabers, and marching with a distinct logo?
That opeing was VERY different from the movies, but very understated and cool. I'm thinking I may have to do some 'light' army building and get the battlepacks and multipacks like you plan to do. I love the idea of the camo scout troopers. What did their armor/helmet look like? A cross between the biker scout/Kashyyyk-41st Elite trooper helmet and the Phase 1 trooper helmet?
Thanks for answering everybody on this.

1. No ARCs and no Commandos. Well unless you count Rex as an ARC. But nothing specifically stated as such. Though they may be in the upcoming TV show.
2. The opening is NOTHING like the previous cartoon series. It's entirely different. As mentioned in the review in the first post, it's unlike ANY opening of any other SW movie before it, that goes for shows too.
3-ish. The camo scout was much like the Kashyyyk clone, though the helmet has this rather sleek fin on top of it. It's not the same as the Phase 1 fin. It's more rounded and ends in more of a point, IIRC. Honestly I think it's a cool design. Though I can hear it now someone stating that it was created to sell more army builders. Well you know what...I don't care, I'll buy a couple of them. That I recall, there really were only two of them in the movie (though that scene is now a little vague in memory for me). These are definitely recon type scouts and they pride themselves on being the best. One of them even says something to that affect to one of the Jedi (Obi-wan-again IIRC).

Oh, something I don't think I touched on much in the review, but I really dig the clone shuttle that brought Ahsoka to Christophsis to be paired up with Anakin. It's a hybrid between the emperor's shuttle and a gunship, imo. I greatly look forward to it being made into a toy. It screams to be made as BOTH a Titanium AND a 3 3/4 scale toy!

Ando
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Oh, something I don't think I touched on much in the review, but I really dig the clone shuttle that brought Ahsoka to Christophsis to be paired up with Anakin. It's a hybrid between the emperor's shuttle and a gunship, imo. I greatly look forward to it being made into a toy. It screams to be made as BOTH a Titanium AND a 3 3/4 scale toy!

I've seen that ship. It's on www.starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com) in the vehicles section and I want a couple of those in 3 3/4" scale, too. I wonder if Hasbro's already working on it?

Thanks for answering my questions.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
You better not have anything bad to say about G.Lu's "masterpiece". He'll sue yo' @$$. (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=2381) From FilmDrunk.com:

Harry from AICN got to see an advanced screening of Star Wars: The Clone Wars last week, and posted a highly negative review. Long story short, LucasFilm told them to pull the review, saying they were enforcing an embargo on reviews until the film opens Friday, and even though the internet isn't a harbor, AICN complied.

As for the review in question, here's the sampling from the above linked article (SPOILERS, I think):

I’ve never hated a STAR WARS film before. I have weathered Jar Jar and any number of Ewoks. I survived Hayden and a wooden Portman. I even accepted Jake Lloyd. I handled all that because it felt like STAR WARS.

I can accept all of Lucas’ flaws, so long as at its heart it felt like Star Wars. I can deal with politics in Star Wars. I can deal with trade skirmishes in Star Wars. I can deal with musical numbers, breathing in the vacuum of space. Basically – so long as it feels like STAR WARS – I can watch any of it.

Was I looking forward to STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (2008)?

******** A!

I was dying. After Genndy’s CLONE WARS – I felt that perhaps Lucas “got it” – and that this new animated series was taking a lead from Tartakovsky’s brilliant assembly of pieces. Genndy’s CLONE WARS got STAR WARS better than anyone has got it since Lawrence Kasdan and Irvin Kershner. Genndy took designs and characters that folks were dissatisfied with and made them cool. He did this by using and adapting the themes created by John Williams, the wholly perfect entity involved with Star Wars along with… the sound effects of Ben Burtt. He understood speed and motion – not just with action, but in editing. He understood classic film composition and iconography. And he knows what BADASS is.

The folks behind this STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS movie… you could tell, they looked at what Genndy did – but they didn’t understand any of it. There’s a ****load of battles and ***** going boom. There’s noise everywhere – fury everywhere… but none of it is directed. The music by Kevin Kiner is criminally bad. Why they didn’t employ Paul Dinletir and James Venable is beyond me. No, no – let’s hire the composer of WALKER, TEXAS RANGER. Ahem.

Now – I made excuses for this film as I was watching it. I don’t think you understand how much I love STAR WARS. Maybe you do, maybe you do too.

Before the movie started I was firing myself up to go out after the film and buy that new $200 Hasbro Millenium Falcon. I really wanted to go buy it, and I wanted this movie to empower my brain to go through with that. Instead, I found myself at home – putting on Genndy’s THE CLONE WARS – to try and rebuild my passion – so I can go get that new Falcon.

Instead – I’m thinking I’ll just be here at home enjoying this and that’ll be all I need.

Anyway – as I was watching the film, I was excusing the sloppy shots, the sloppy use of the Clone Troopers and Droids – undoing all the awesome work that Genndy had done – and the droids are silly again. The Clone Troopers are limp. And the Jedi – they’re at 25% power from the mind of Genndy. But I was accepting that. I figured that was Lucas dialing back so that the animated series wouldn’t overpower his features.

Then they introduced Baby Jabba aka Rotta the Huttlet aka Stinky. At the point of this character’s introduction – it officially became, the worst character in the history of STAR WARS. If you hate George Lucas cutsiepoo bull**** – oooooooh boy. You’re gonna have a field day of venting and hatred directed at this unbelievably ****ing awful little ****.

Oh – but wait… Little Stinky the Hutt isn’t the worst character in the history of STAR WARS… because Stinky got introduced earlier in the film. As much as I hated lil Stinky… I was weathering Stinky. I seriously was. But later there was a character of such immense **** – offensively bad. The character was so bad, so incredibly awful – that it was a slap to the face. It woke me out of my ****-accepting stupor and made me angry. SUDDENLY my “inner fanboy rage” was awoken.

As I watched this terrifyingly awful character named Ziro the Hutt. A seemingly female Hutt – with tattoos and make-up that sounds like a racist take on a Black New Orleans Crack-Dealing *****. Because this Hutt speaks ENGLISH – and it is many times worse than I’m actually describing. This character was actually too much for me. So bad that every flaw I was looking past, was now a road sign to inadequacy and mediocrity. All of a sudden my brain realized that Asajj Ventress’ voice no longer was acceptable – and sure enough – the amazing Grey DeLisle, who originally voiced the character back in 2003 – had been replaced by a Nika Futterman – and that voice was missed. The character didn’t have that snarling menace anymore.

I realized that nothing in this animated film felt right. I felt time expanding. It seemed that the film was dragging – nevermind that lots of **** was firing all over the place – and stuff was going boom and things were being revealed. I just didn’t care because this wasn’t what I wanted.

I hated the score, the animation, the shots, the characters and most of all the retarded ******** idiot story.

I hated the film. HATED IT. REALLY HATED IT.

Does this mean the whole Star Wars Animated Series is doomed? No – but it isn’t a good sign. So much of this is awful because of the Hutt plotlines and character. I also feel that Dave Filoni must be a hack. His work here is sloppy – and depending on writers and directing talent – individual episodes may be better. This film was several episodes all strung together – my prayer is that the individual episodes will be both great and awful – and we’ll discover which talents are responsible for each.

That said – the audience did have light applause. My father liked it. My sister felt too much was going on. Me nephew really liked it. That said – Yoko was complaining right along with me. She thought it was **** too. I know Moriarty liked it. Wonder what Quint and Massawyrm thought.

****. I hated a STAR WARS. That ****ing sucks.”

El Chuxter
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I mentioned this under the soundtrack thread, but I listened to clips of the score, and it sucks amazingly hard. It's like a junior high remix project.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I have zero interest in this "movie" and it is even less (somehow) now. Regardless of this guys standing as a reputable movie critic, he pretty much touched on everything I felt would be wrong with the "movie". I want to dig my eyes out in rage every time I see the trailer.

Rocketboy
08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
There are only 2 reasons I'm considering seeing it on Friday - I have the day off and a small part of me wants to make up for missing ROTS on opening day (stupid honeymoon).

And those reasons aren't really enough...

Qui-Long Gone
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
(stupid honeymoon).

If your honeymoon was a bigger let down that ROTS then there's a few picture books you can get that can help with that.....:whip:

Ando
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm lucky, I got to see ROTS with my wife (before we even started dating) and she's actually excited about see The Clone Wars with me this Friday.

Rocketboy
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
If your honeymoon was a bigger let down that ROTS then there's a few picture books you can get that can help with that.....:whip:That part was just fine...:thumbsup: I was just mad at myself for getting the ROTS date wrong when we set the trip up. It was my last chance to see a real Star Wars movie on opening night.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
It was my last chance to see a real Star Wars movie on opening night.You forgot the quotation marks around "real".

jjreason
08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm taking my son. I somehow knew this was going to be aimed at the Disney Channel crowd, and by reading the novelization I confirmed this. I was "moderately" pleased with the overall feel of the book - mainly because Jabba's involved. I didn't care much for the Clone Wars cartoons last time, but they were passable. I'm hoping that seeing it in the theatre will at least provide me with the best possible opportunity to hear the sound effects and score properly, though I haven't read anything positive about the latter.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm taking my son. I somehow knew this was going to be aimed at the Disney Channel crowd, and by reading the novelization I confirmed this. I was "moderately" pleased with the overall feel of the book - mainly because Jabba's involved. I didn't care much for the Clone Wars cartoons last time, but they were passable. I'm hoping that seeing it in the theatre will at least provide me with the best possible opportunity to hear the sound effects and score properly, though I haven't read anything positive about the latter.
Dunno . . . I'm still looking forward to it. I still like watching the trailers and commercials. Some of the iTunes music previews seemed like they were definitely TV-quality music, but some were cool (the swing stuff, the remixed title).

For the record, this was posted on AICN by Moriarty:

Hey, everyone. “Moriarty” here.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this because, frankly, it’s being blown up into something it is not. However, I do believe that there should be a clear explanation here so that you guys know what is going on.

When I went to see THE CLONE WARS in Los Angeles, I was told there was an embargo on reviews until the day of release.

Yes. I am aware there are reviews all over the place. Welcome to the world of playing by the rules. EMPIRE, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, and whoever else has reviews up... they know what they were told by the distributor, and I don’t. What I do know is that I was specifically told there is an embargo until the day of release by Warner Bros.

I am routinely embargoed on films. In this case, I liked THE CLONE WARS, so it’s not because it’s a negative review. Harry posted his review last night, and then was contacted and told about the embargo by Warner Bros. They called me today to re-emphasize... this is a Warner Bros. policy. As I understand it, Lucasfilm did not directly contact the site. Again... I was not the one who pulled Harry’s story. Only he can do that.

With the Massawyrm story, I have to assume it was Merrick who posted it this morning. I’m not sure why it was posted after the night we had last night, but the embargo certainly applies to him as well, and so it had to come back down. Merrick is the one who traditionally posts all Massawyrm material, and unless and until Merrick explains his decision otherwise, I’m going to have to assume it was just poor communication behind the scenes.

Good explanation? Not really. Does this whole thing stink? Yep. Sorta does. They’re having public screenings of the film, like yesterday’s show at the Egyptian, and if I’d gone to one of those, no one would be able to embargo anything. But what this is NOT is a conspiracy, gang. If you’re one of those reactionary talkbackers screaming about the situation, allow me to extend a personal invitation to you to calm the f*** down.

Embargoes are a reality that any of us who do this professionally have to deal with, and the truth is that they are selectively enforced. Sometimes we’re on the winning end of the proposition, sometimes we’re not. This time, we’re going to have to play it out with the reviews posting on opening day, and not until.

As I stated in an earlier talkback, if you repost Harry’s review in the talkbacks, you will be banned. No warning. No appeal. The review is off the site until Friday. That’s an editorial decision, and frankly, Lucas’s little cartoon movie isn’t worth all this sound and fury.

El Chuxter
08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Interesting.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but normally studios place embargoes on reviews when they're worried they won't do well. Is WB worried about Clone Wars? Might not be, but, then again, they haven't had embargoes on other movies this summer that I know of.

Darth Jax
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
i don't think CW warrants a midnite showing, but i'll definitely be seeing it friday evening. nothing in it will be new for me (i've read the young reader and traviss version of the novelization already). my first thoughts on finishing the book was that the storyline actually reminded me of ANH, the next thought was that having hutts as major characters would probably be a mistake and backfire. jabba was cool in ROTJ because he was featured in only a small section and was pretty well done (the insertion of him in ANH sucked and the hutts presence in TPM was even worse). i'm familiar with EU so i was already aware of hutt reproductive abilities. even in the books ziro comes off really poorly, so not surprising he/she isn't successful on the big screen.

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2008, 08:51 PM
jabba was cool in ROTJ because he was featured in only a small section and was pretty well done (the insertion of him in ANH sucked and the hutts presence in TPM was even worse).You can also replace "Jabba" with "Boba Fett" and "TPM" with AOTC".

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh, Jesus Christ. From MTV.com via FilmDrunk.com:

He’s a purple Hutt, bedazzling in sky blue tattoos, a peacock feather nestled behind his rumbled head, a character “Empire Online” called “a cross-dressing pimp” who holds court in “Downtown Coruscant.” He’s sure to be the most talked about new character in the entire Republic when “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” is released August 15.
Jabba’s uncle, Zero the Hutt, a new character introduced specifically for the upcoming animated series, is a gay stereotype that makes what Jar Jar Binks represented to the island of Jamaica look subtle by comparison. It’s not the look or design that pushes it over the top into stereotype, of course, but the voice (performed by Corey Burden), a lispy, high-pitched twang purposively reminiscent of Truman Capote.
How did a character who wasn’t even supposed to speak English wind up sounding like that? Because George Lucas insisted on it, “Clone Wars” director Dave Filoni confessed.
“Zero, Jabba’s uncle, originally spoke in Hutt-ese, like Jabba and then he had a different sluggish voice just like Jabba, and then George one day was watching it and said ‘I want him to sound like Truman Capote.’ He actually said that and we were like ‘Wow!’” Filion revealed. “It’s a hybrid of it but the inspiration is definitely there on Capote. It’s one of those things that takes him from being an interesting character and I think really does put him over the top and does something. He’s a favorite among the crew here.” [MTV]

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Okay, who wants to go and kick George Lucas in the nads? I think he officially has lost it. I wondered before, but this is absolute confirmation.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Okay, who wants to go and kick George Lucas in the nads? I think he officially has lost it. I wondered before, but this is absolute confirmation.

The wolfman has nards?

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Okay, who wants to go and kick George Lucas in the nads?
You'd have to kick Rick Mc in the mouth AMIRIGHT?!?!?!?

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
You kidding me, he'd probably eat your foot with his mouth it's so huge....try lobbing grenades at him or something else with distance....like chucking a trident or javlin....

jedi master sal
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM

He has. This was by far one of the two MOST DISAPPOINTING parts of the whole movie to me. GL sorry, you F'd up this part. It's ridiculous.

As I posted in my review, a Hutt does NOT speak basic (English) because they feel that is BENEATH them. Having a volumnous gruff voice is another attribute that pegs a Hutt down. Feathers and Tattoos is the third strike. Lucas you are OUT! (Of your mind)

I got to tell my dislikes to one of the theater organizers of the preview and I laid into this one in particular along with the funky Starship Trooper opening and no scrawl.

Ziro (and yes THAT is the CORRECT spelling) might detract from your viewing. He's definitely on par with Jar Jar for annoyance, even more so in some ways.

If you can block out that character, then you wil have a most enjoyable time with the movie.

-Sal

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I think Cappy was going for a naughty reference to where the target of my proposed kick would be at any given time. :eek:

jedi master sal
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
You'd have to kick Rick Mc in the mouth AMIRIGHT?!?!?!?

True dat!!!

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I think Cappy was going for a naughty reference to where the target of my proposed kick would be at any given time. :eek:
DING DING DING. We have a wiener.

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I was going to post how funny it is when this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Z9Y-q4H5A) looks more "kiddie," but is actually far more mature than everything I'm hearing about the new version....

But I saw whatever jackhole posted this added a new ending giving Lucas credit for writing, directing, and producing it. :mad:

Can someone who actually has bothered to get a YouTube account tell this guy how wrong he is? I'm not going to register just to do that.

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
But I saw whatever jackhole posted this added a new ending giving Lucas credit for writing, directing, and producing it. :mad:
Who did each? I'll post it.

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
From Wiki:

George Lucas .... Characters, story, and executive producer
Genndy Tartakovsky .... Director, character design, story, and producer
Paul Rudish .... Co-art director and story
Scott Wills ....Co-art director
Bryan Andrews .... story
Mark Andrews .... story
Darrick Bachman .... story
Claudia Katz .... executive producer
Rick McCallum .... executive producer
Brian A. Miller .... executive producer
Jennifer Pelphrey .... supervising producer
Geraldine Symon .... producer
Shareena Carlson .... producer

I'd just say Tartakovsky, since he's the most obvious and best-known (aside from the hairy old fart).

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Posted it.

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
You're a god among men. :)

bigbarada
08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
So, if I just go to this movie expecting to see a long commercial for the animated style toys, am I going to be disappointed?

jedi master sal
08-16-2008, 12:22 AM
So, if I just go to this movie expecting to see a long commercial for the animated style toys, am I going to be disappointed?

No. In fact you may be pleasantly surprised! (Unless of course you read the reviews...)

Seriously though, don't at all take the movie seriously. Have fun with it as if you were a little boy again. You'll enjoy the silly banter and behavior much more.

It's definitely much more than a long toy commercial.

figrin bran
08-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm going tomorrow. Fortunately, nothing was spoiled on this page, the fifth, which was the first one I clicked on.

sith_killer_99
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh, I LOVED the banter between Anakin and Ahsoka! The best part of the film was that relationship. I felt more chemistry between those two in this film than I felt between Anakin and Padme in EP II or EP III. It was refreshing to see that sort of confrontational relationship GL hasn't used it since Han and Leia in the OT!

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Personally, I loved the movie and I can't wait to see more of this series!:thumbsup:

For those who haven't seen it yet, I would recommend watching a few hours of Nickelodeon to get yourself in the proper frame of mind to really enjoy this. And if you can't stomach the idea of sitting through even half an hour of Nickelodeon programming, then it's pretty much guaranteed that this movie isn't for you.

figrin bran
08-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I enjoyed it and will definitely watch every episode of the series!

jedibear
08-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Didn't realize the was a thread in GD for this...

Here's what I posted in another thread on it...

Interesting reactions going on in here.

Just got back from seeing it myself....and before I get into my random thoughts on the movie, let me just express my shock at this one thing...here it was, Friday night, the opening night of this movie...it's in the big theater at our somewhat decent multiplex...last show of the evening and....there are only 20 or so people in the theater! Wow...I think this might be a bomb....I'll be interested just to hear how this does everywhere else over the weekend, but it'll definately be outta here inside the week with this dismal of an opening night...I was stunned.

Anyway, as for the movie itself....I liked it for what it really was...not a movie so much as a launch for the tv show. It established it's own style right away with that opening. I didn't miss the opening crawl so much and the "voiceover" announcer actually added some punch to it that worked ok for me. I also loved the quick cameos of other characters, both good and evil over that opening montage. Plo and Kit looked cool as did Grievous...seeing a quick shot of them was a good way of letting us know we'll see more of 'em in the show.

As for the animation....it took a bit to get used to, but I found myself enjoying the style as the movie went on. The whole affair had a very painterly feel to it I liked a lot the more it went on, and the character animation had an almost clay-like feel that is certainly unique.

The voice acting was...alright. The clones sounded good, but nearly everyone else sounded flat...almost like the vocal takes were off of round-table script readings instead of actual sessions where the voice actors might be seeing the actual footage they're performing for. The only characters that escaped this were the clones and, of all people. Padme.

The action scenes were well-rendered and full of visual punch, but the whole movie felt a little off with the pacing...however, I did really enjoy many of the "wide" shots, establishing environments and scale. The stuff on Tatooine was especially cool to look at. I suppose the pacing issue could be attributed to this "movie" being culled from several episodes of the forthcoming show,but is was a little clunky in places.

The score actually worked well for this. A hint of William's infamous themes was heard here and there, but like the visuals, the score took on a different direction for what we've grown accustomed to hearing with these adventures. The only minor problem with it was how overly-contemporary and pedestrian some of it sounded with the crunchy guitars and warbled choirs and female voices...there were some spots where I wondered if the footage had been temped with Bear McReady's "Battlestar Galactica" music and that was a little distracting, but not to the point of ruining it for me.

Now. what didn't really work for me....well, I'll start with Ziro. It wasn't the fey mannerisms or Capote voice that stuck me wrong...it was the speaking english. They had Jabba speak in huttese throughout the film (and with no subtitles...a good touch actually)...Ziro wouldn't have seemed so "wrong" if he had spoken his native language. It would have kept it interesting and a little alien and sinister...as it was, it just seemed awkward to watch and listen to. That one little scene at the end when he spoke to Jabba via hologram in huttese actually worked better than anything before it.
The huttlet...wasn't as overbearing and cute as I expected...it was more a plot device than a character...for what it was, it was okay.

Now...for what really didn't work. The mall-chick-tween Jedi girl. This character failed on every level for me. I half-expected her first line to be "Hi I'm here from market research because we've seen this saga needs a little "Bratz" appeal!" She sounded too modern and contemporary to be considered seriously as a Padawan. The voice, the too-adorable cute-girl midriff-bearing outfit and the constant back-talk were more irritating than anything the saga has ever offered in my book. The movie just died whenever she appeared and uttered those cringe-inducing nicknames and left that faraway galaxy. Totally contrived and unconvincing. Hopefully, her "arc" with Anakin does not last throughout the course of the series...heck, Jar Jar was less of a creative misstep than this character. Ugh.

All n' all...I enjoyed it for what it was...a sample of the show that's coming up. Plenty of visual punch and hopefully the focus really will shift around to other characters during the run of the series. Would like to catch it again before it leaves, mainly for the sumptuous visuals...but considering it's weak opening here, I may just have to wait for the disc...

That's it for my ramblin' on this one....let's see what the series can show us...

Now, I've just combed the various fan and film sites reading the reactions to this and...well, I haven't seen a negative reaction this strong for something Star Wars since TPM back in '99, right down to the "raped childhood" metaphors that are been thrown around again with gleeful abandon.

I don't get this strong reaction. While I'll agree that putting this out for consumption on the big screen might have been a bit of a risk...especially when one remembers that this project was originally conceived, designed and scripted for small screen and short time slots, I for one was glad to see it presented to us this way especially as an introduction to the new series. And while many are lambasting the "it's just for kids" argument that some fans are using to "defend" their enjoyment and appreciation of this, well...it is what it is.

I still say the "Asoka" character totally smacks of "market research and development" to appeal to a specific demographic (ie "tween" girls) opposed to being an organic, sincere development of the story process. As I mentioned above, I found her intrusive and too contemporary to really be a good character addition to the saga. Thinking about her a little more, I'm finding her less of an honest creative misstep (like Jar Jar) and a more contrived and cynical addition. The story element she is supposed to serve (ie, giving Anakin a lesson in "letting go" under the guise of fulfilling the Jedi Master function of training the next generation) could have been handled within the context of the war...by becoming "attached" to the clone troopers under his command and having to "let go" of them either through death or reassignment....could have made for some effect and intense wartime stroy telling. Instead, we get a noisy, back-talking irritant that offers nothing more than a distraction for an audience demographic...and one that is not well-hidden or subtle.

Again, the movie piqued my interest enough through it's art and design to make me want to tune in to the series when it arrives. I just hope the focus shifts away from Anakin and his bratty friend and more to the other personalities and characters involved in the Clone Wars....

bigbarada
08-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Again, the movie piqued my interest enough through it's art and design to make me want to tune in to the series when it arrives. I just hope the focus shifts away from Anakin and his bratty friend and more to the other personalities and characters involved in the Clone Wars....

I'm kind of hoping that this will be similar to the old GI Joe and Transformers cartoons, in that there were main characters that got most of the focus, but there were also several episodes that were allowed to develop secondary characters and we even got entire episodes devoted to single characters that were rarely ever seen again.

El Chuxter
08-17-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm not lambasting the "just a kids' cartoon" argument. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of supposed kids' movies, many done as quickly as this, that don't fall into the trap of trying too hard to appeal to kids and not offering much more. F'rinstance, Beauty and the Beast is a kids' cartoon, but it was nominated for Best Picture, for crying out loud.

Darth Jax
08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I saw it yesterday and the theater was packed with little kids (about 25% of them in jedi robes). It wasn't quite sold out, but there were only a few empty seats here and there. The draw of Ashoka is working, because there were a lot of parents that only had girls with them.

With the obvious exception of Ziro it was enjoyable.

Bringing a new padawan into the story is a risky gamble. She can't survive long, because by ROTS she's gone and there is no mention of her. Although i'm sure with a little creative editing and some more CGI additions the next "release" of ROTS will include her.

i watched AOTC the night before with the girlfriend. After the movie she told me that Clone Wars seemed to be more "realistic" than AOTC was. i hadn't watched it recently and had forgotten that the entire movie featured a couple of humans "acting" in front of a green screen and everything else was added in during the finishing/editing process. It certainly seemed more of a cartoon than the cartoon did.

Blue2th
08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm kind of hoping that this will be similar to the old GI Joe and Transformers cartoons, in that there were main characters that got most of the focus, but there were also several episodes that were allowed to develop secondary characters and we even got entire episodes devoted to single characters that were rarely ever seen again.
I agree.
A few episodes of Cartoon Clone Wars were like that with the Arc Troopers, Kit Fisto and the Scuba Troopers, Luminaria and Bariss, Asaaj and Dooku, the Arc Troopers again with Ki-Adi-Mundi and Shaak-Ti. Then again with Shaak-Ti, Roron Corrob and the Emperor, Saesee Tin in Armor etc.
Those were my favorite episodes, and part of the reason it was so successful. We got to see the different characters in action even though it was just little snippets.

Whether it'd be Gi Joe, Clone Wars or even Legion of Superheroes comics, I always enjoyed stories of the secondary characters the best. I'm hoping they do that too when Clone Wars comes on TV.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
As for secondary characters, I know Yoda (is he secondary?) is the focus of the first (or one of the first) episodes to be shown on TV. Later on, Kit Fisto and Grievous square off, which should be sweet since I love both those characters.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
For those who haven't seen it yet, I would recommend watching a few hours of Nickelodeon to get yourself in the proper frame of mind to really enjoy this.Actually, the kids version of First Look that was before the movie did that a little bit. They had a segment on Beverly Hills Chihuahua, The Secret Saturdays, and Holly Hobbie.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Ahsoka didn't bother me at all. I thought she was pretty cool, and she was a good fit for Anakin.

The fact that Ziro spoke Basic seems inconsistent, but he doesn't seem to be too honorable, even for a Hutt. So, there could be some good reason why he spoke Basic. He did speak Huttese briefly at one point.

Also cool was the inclusion of Admiral Yularen, who is indeed the same character from the ANH Death Star briefing scene.

Scackmgackm
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble getting psyched to see this movie.

When we have gems like The Dark Knight and Hellboy II hit theaters this summer, I don't know if "The Clone Wars," which got absolutely SAVAGED by almost ALL the critics (and anyone who says the critics don't matter or know what they're talking about should go through movies that get like 18% on Rottentomatoes.com and then tell me they're mostly good movies and the critics still don't matter or know what they're talking about), is worth full price ticket money.

It feels like a "wait for pay-per-view" to me...there are articles out there absolutely begging George Lucas to stop directing movies and keep to just ideas and let others of far greater talent do the actual work.

This is precisely what others have been worried about for years - that Lucas is eventually going to start scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep the franchise afloat and Star Wars will become just like its little brother Star Trek, doomed to be kept alive only by the legions of die-hard fans who become less and less relevant in the market needed to keep these things going.

I understand making movies to produce toys - that's Star Wars in a nutshell - but would it be so hard to, you know, let Genndy Tartakovsky or someone with some actual talent for storytelling make these movies?

From what I'm hearing from people, both of the Clone Wars miniseries were a thousand times better than what they're just put in the theaters...

Someone needs to wrest control of this franchise from Lucas. He did his job - he created it. Time for someone else to take the reigns, someone who can still make movies.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't think the the previous Clone Wars cartoons were anything special, but maybe it was just the animation style and Mace Windu taking out an entire Separatist force on his own that made it seem kind of ridiculous. I still liked it, but I like this current one a lot better, and hopefully the new series will be as good or better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Scackmgackm, George was only the executive producer on this one. He had some influence, and it seemed like it grew as time went on, but Dave Filoni is the guy who, as you would say, has the reins now.

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
From all accounts, official and unofficial, he took a much more hands-on approach to this one. For Genndy's version, he was pretty much given free reign. He apparently had to beg Lucasfilm for information as to how best to lead Season 3 into ROTS.

By the way, Speed Racer outperformed The Clone Wars in its first week, and has done far better with the critics. Make of that what you will.