PDA

View Full Version : Is It Working?

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
On July 1st, a law went into effect here in California stating that cellular telephone use had to be hands-free while operating a motor vehicle or suffer the consequences. (It's still OK to text-message while driving, though....typical California legislature attention to detail :rolleyes:. As a matter of fact, it's OK for me to communicate on my radio but not use a phone, unless hand-free, while driving on duty....:confused:). The law was enacted in an effort to cut down on phone-related traffic accidents.

I saw a representative from the California Highway Patrol interviewed last week who stated that about 6,700 citations for non-compliance of the new law had been issued thus far. Regardless, I still see driver's with their phones in defiance of the new law. Yep, business as usual. I don't really see much of a change as I go about my business. I think it's too early to tell, but it remains to be seen if this law will actually have any effect on driver safety, or if it be yet another California "fell good" law.

To my fellow californios: have you seen much change in your area as to compliance to the new law?

To my fellow non-californio SSGers: I know other states are keeping an eye as to what's going on here regarding the law. Do you see this as an issue or non-issue in your state/country?

scruffziller
08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
On July 1st, a law went into effect here in California stating that cellular telephone use had to be hands-free while operating a motor vehicle or suffer the consequences. (It's still OK to text-message while driving, though....typical California legislature attention to detail :rolleyes:. As a matter of fact, it's OK for me to communicate on my radio but not use a phone, unless hand-free, while driving on duty....:confused:). The law was enacted in an effort to cut down on phone-related traffic accidents.

I saw a representative from the California Highway Patrol interviewed last week who stated that about 6,700 citations for non-compliance of the new law had been issued thus far. Regardless, I still see driver's with their phones in defiance of the new law. Yep, business as usual. I don't really see much of a change as I go about my business. I think it's too early to tell, but it remains to be seen if this law will actually have any effect on driver safety, or if it be yet another California "fell good" law.

To my fellow californios: have you seen much change in your area as to compliance to the new law?

To my fellow non-californio SSGers: I know other states are keeping an eye as to what's going on here regarding the law. Do you see this as an issue or non-issue in your state/country?

Okay to still text message? That's more dangerous. At least with the cell phone your eyes are still on the road more.:rolleyes::D

And yea, here in Iowa, business as usual.

El Chuxter
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
No. In fact, I see bluetools being just as dangerous now that they're handsfree. It's not actually talking on the phone that makes one a dangerous, inattentive driver; it's just plain stupidity. Since it's impossible to ban morons from driving, the legislators attacked one symptom. (Since they banned something I used to be able to do safely while driving because I don't stop paying attention because my mouth is moving, can they now ban all these 'tards who put on makeup, shave, read, and everything else while driving from doing so, in order that they might realize it's a bad idea and stop doing it? Please?)

I'm surprised the first response wasn't Anakin's little bit from TPM: "It's working! It's working!"

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
No. In fact, I see bluetools being just as dangerous now that they're handsfree.

This has become alarmingly clear to me, too! I hate the fact that my hearing is compromised by law, because I'm obligated to plug my ear with a hands-free device. I cannot hear traffic as well because of it.

I agree with all your other points as well, Chux.

I was baiting someone with my title, BTW!

Blue2th
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
The same law went into effect here about a year ago, and about two years ago in Santa Fe.
I haven't heard about any study to see if it has helped yet, but I'm sure it has.
I still see people doing it everyday though. They need a massive crackdown.

They have also installed quite a few red light cameras. Though for some reason on the well-to-do side of town they have been removed.
Maybe they could zoom in on the cell phone users with a camera, though that probably wouldn't work too well.

I have also seen a device on one of those infomercials where your phone can be interfaced with your radio for hands free communication, no headset required.

DarthQuack
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I'll let you know if I ever make my way to Cali :)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I've seen a few more the past week or so; guess they're hoping that a month after the law went into effect, cops'll ignore them. Maybe to help with the economic crunch, we should all have chauffeurs [sp?] and then you can text and call and talk all you want! I just hate cell phones in general.

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
This has become alarmingly clear to me, too! I hate the fact that my hearing is compromised by law, because I'm obligated to plug my ear with a hands-free device. I cannot hear traffic as well because of it.Many bluetooth headsets block out almost nothing except the ones that go fully into the ear canal (the one I have does this). But between the Voyager 510 from Plantronics which has a foam earbud, the Samsung WEP200 which seems like it covers the ear canal but doesn't seem to block sound, and a bunch of different ones that have out-of-ear speakers, there are plenty of viable options. And here's a wacky idea, don't like it? Don't use your phone while driving.

Anyway, I've noticed less people on the phone, but their driving habits haven't gotten better yet.

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Don't use your phone while driving.

I'm on call 24/7 because of my job and have no choice but to use the phone whenever, wherever; on and off duty.

I've tried several devices and the one I have from Motorola (the model type escapes me now) gives me the best phone clarity at the sacrifice of compromising my peripheral hearing.

I appreciate the info on the other models. I'll have to check them out.

....and, yes, the drivers still are dill weeds!

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 11:41 PM
There's actually a model that has a sound pass-through which pipes ambient sound through the speaker, but it uses up battery fast. Anyway, there's a ton of choices, I bought my mom the Samsung WEP430, but its battery life ain't that great. My sister we got a Sony with 10 hours, but NO active noise cancellation and it suuuuucked. Buy through Amazon, they have a liberal return policy.

TeeEye7
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Duly noted.

Again, thank you, sir! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Nope. I still see far too many people phoning/texting/holding stuff. Remember when cars were an escape, a way to get away? Now they're just houses on wheels (phones, sound systems, video systems, GPS, cup holders, etc.).

TeeEye7
07-10-2010, 03:55 AM
I was issued a GPS last week. The "fiddle factor" with that bad boy is so extreme that I pull over to input the info. And, I've found I listen to the thing rather than watch the screen. That's mainly because I'm familiar with the territory, it just gets me to the new streets that seem to pop up daily in my town.

What building slow-down....?

dr_evazan22
07-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Delaware just enacted one of these laws; I think it takes effect later in the year. You can still use hands-free, but everything else (texting and such) is off limits while driving. Exceptions were made for emergency personnel and such.
I deliver in an urban residential neighborhood, and its not uncommon for me to see cars barely slow down at stop signs (on just about every corner). I don't think it'll make much difference.

Blue2th
07-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Nope. I still see far too many people phoning/texting/holding stuff. Remember when cars were an escape, a way to get away? Now they're just houses on wheels (phones, sound systems, video systems, GPS, cup holders, etc.).

May as well. More people are living in their cars these days.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
New York state has had this law in effect for at least two years. Mainly in response to a rash of deaths of teenage drivers were texting or cell phone talking was attributed to the main cause of the accident.

The law has no teeth though. A police officer can only pull you over if there is suspicion of some other illegal activity happening. It can't be the primary reason that they pull you over. They interviewed the regional captain of the state police just this week and he stated how on the way to work today there was a young woman who pulled right up next to him on the highway and continued to yap on her cell phone without as much as an acknowledgment from her.

However, he did talk about a new bill which apparently is close to being passed that will make it acceptable to pull anyone over for cell phone use as the primary factor to pull some one over.

Other than that, there are still several people who violate the law.

El Chuxter
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I see more people on phones now than before the law went into effect.

My wife was telling me that she read somewhere that there were discussions to increase the penalty to include points on the license, since no one seems to be afraid of a ticket.