PDA

View Full Version : Price Increases!!

PAA_707
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
How many of you have been seein price increases on the new figures around here. First off when Target first got them they were $7.99 for a few days, but then they put em down to $6.99 for the past few weeks, until I saw yesterday.

Then at KB, they were always pricey anyway, but I was shocked to see the new CW and Legacy figures were $9.99 a piece. Straight ridiculous. They had a few I wantedd, like the Clone with light blue trim. But that's just shady. Any of you been seein the same thing?

Neuroleptic
08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I noticed the price increase too. I'm not sure what that's all about, but at least it's still fairly normal at wally world.

Target still had them at about 8 bucks a pop last time I looked, but I have a feeling that may get lowered once they stop selling.

But I could be wrong.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Once I finally found the ScubaTroopa at TRU, I noticed the extra buck price, but I still shelled it out. KB is always too high... I've only bought figs from them if they're really hard-to-find ones, buy __ get __ deals, or on sale price. This is a good thing for me; it'll prevent me from over-buying now.

DarkJedi5
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
From my understanding it was Hasbro that raised the price by a fraction and for this new release everything went up about a buck everywhere. Even etailers who buy direct from Hasbro increased prices by about a buck. I think it even came up in some one's Q&A a while back but damned if I'm gonna find it... I think it's just due to the rising cost of manufacture but I could be wrong.

jamesbondo07
08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
KB and K-Mart are overcharging on figures like usual. They usually sell about $8.50 to $10.00 in those two places. Target has been a little pricier with the $8.00 price tag. Wal-Mart has been the best with about a $7.00 price. I'm glad I went to Wal-Mart for midnight madness and then pick up a few of the ones I was missing at other stores.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I was disappointed to see that TRU and Target raised them back to $7.99. TRU also raised the price on vehicles and Battle Packs to $25. They had the Hoth Speeder Bike set I need, but for that price, I can wait a while.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Prices vary out here....our KMart bleeds us for $10 a fig (for about 2 years now)....WalMart has always been cheepest. Every other month TRUs seems to run a buy one get one half off special....Target usually is close to WalMart's prices.....

I honestly haven't noticed the price increases because my wallet is so empty after paying for the gas to drive to these crap hole stores....:mad:

Kidhuman
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
From my understanding it was Hasbro that raised the price by a fraction and for this new release everything went up about a buck everywhere. Even retailers who buy direct from Hasbro increased prices by about a buck. I think it even came up in some one's Q&A a while back but damned if I'm gonna find it... I think it's just due to the rising cost of manufacture but I could be wrong.

WM only raised the price by about 30 cents here. The are 6.96 apiece.

KB and K-Mart are overcharging on figures like usual. They usually sell about $8.50 to $10.00 in those two places. Target has been a little pricier with the $8.00 price tag. Wal-Mart has been the best with about a $7.00 price. I'm glad I went to Wal-Mart for midnight madness and then pick up a few of the ones I was missing at other stores.

K-Mart here charges the same price as Target at 7.99 each. I dont have a KB and havent bought anything there since the 4 for 10 on AOTC packs

Luuuuuuke
08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I bet the generally higher prices have something to do with the skyrocketing fuel prices. This is happening with a lot of things, including food.

Mvader91
08-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Just makes my decision not to buy easier. It is not like they have added any accessories.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I bet the generally higher prices have something to do with the skyrocketing fuel prices. This is happening with a lot of things, including food.I hate that reason that businesses are using. I understand economics, but it's a convenient excuse most of the time.

AmanaMatt
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Absolutely insanity! $8 for a standard figure will make my shopping very, very, very limited. I have already decided to pass on the Clone Wars line, and majority of prequel stuff, so its pretty much OT collecting for me with few exceptions.

Qui-Long Gone
08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Absolutely insanity! $8 for a standard figure will make my shopping very, very, very limited. I have already decided to pass on the Clone Wars line, and majority of prequel stuff, so its pretty much OT collecting for me with few exceptions.

That is the exact philosophy I'm adopting...

Speaking of Bel-Cam's post, has anyone else seen how milk jugs are being refigured to save on the cost of shipping? A new design in the jug is allowing more jugs to be shipped, thus decreasing cost by moving out more shipments....see, there's always a way when the will is there.....

Snowtrooper
08-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I hate that reason that businesses are using. I understand economics, but it's a convenient excuse most of the time.

You're right about that. Using higher oil prices as an excuse is good PR for the company. Its better than them saying "We're going to keep raising the price to see how much $ we can get out of each figure." There are other lines out there that use more plastic in their product and charge far less.

For instance, I recently purchased a Platoon figure made by 21st Century Toys. It was a Bob Barnes figure and it stands taller than the standard SW figure. It came with all sorts of rifles, pistols, combat gear, and extra arms and legs for crouching position. I paid $4.99 for it at WM and, IMO, the quality is no better or worse than SW.(great likeness of Tom Berenger by the way)

Vintage GI Joe is another example. They started out at under $5. But when they were a hit and the pegs cleared they all of the sudden jumped $2 without a corresponding jump in SW.

I'm not saying that oil prices dont account for some of it. But it seems like its more a case of them seeing how much they can charge and still move figures, much like they've been doing with gas. Figures going over $7 dollars will drive me out of collecting sooner than anything. I just don't think they are worth that much.

mtriv73
08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
WM and TRU are in the $6.9X range here and Target is $7.99. Not surprisingly, Target has pegs full of figures and the other 2 sell down fairly rapidly.

Due to poor customer service, a messy store, and never reorganizing their pegs, K-mart isn't worth my time or gas to go check. They could be giving the figures away and I still wouldn't go back.

DarkJedi5
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Speaking of Bel-Cam's post, has anyone else seen how milk jugs are being refigured to save on the cost of shipping? A new design in the jug is allowing more jugs to be shipped, thus decreasing cost by moving out more shipments....see, there's always a way when the will is there.....

Way off topic but along these lines, here's an article about how it's happening with more than just figures and milk...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/CompanyFocus/TheIncredibleShrinkingDoritosBag.aspx?page=all