PDA

View Full Version : Bane Malar?

CanadianPharaoh
08-12-2008, 06:50 PM
OK seriously, Hasbro... what is going on?

Bane Malar?! I can't even find this guy in the movie!! There are way more worthy characters to be made into figures for Jabba's Palace, like Fozec, Shasa Tiel and Doallyn. I mean, that last guy had some serious screen time, getting pushed around by Boussh and/or Chewie!! Somebody please point him out to me in the film cuz I've tried and can't for the life of me even find this guy. If you can't see him in the movie, then what's the point? It's not like he's a popular EU character or anything. He looks like a guy from Spaced Invaders or something. (I will admit that the figure is well made).

This is just as bad as Djas Puhr.

Old Fossil
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Bane Malar was originally a dentist from Alderaan, exiled for questionable work done on the royal family's teeth. He later specialized in Hutt denture-work, and became Jabba's personal dental hygenist. He also treated the Rancor's gum disease.

lol

Jargo
08-12-2008, 08:52 PM
he's ice cream maker guy's cousin. on his mothers side.

Devo
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree that there were better candidates but I'll take him.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Djas puhr was in ANH. Maybe only his head or something but I saw him.

bigbarada
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Bane Malar is easily one of my favorite new figures. I'm especially hopeful for the rumored Kithaba and Wooof figures after seeing how much care Hasbro put into making this guy.

I always thought Bane Malar was the guy that Boushh and/or Chewie pushed down when they entered Jabba's Palace. Looks like I might have to rewatch the film.

Regardless of how easy he was to spot in the film, Bane Malar gets an A+ from me!:thumbsup:

figrin bran
08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I liked the Bane Malar figure as well. The only thing I didn't like is that he seems a bit undersized. Maybe he's actually supposed to be but it sure doesn't help in the "imposing looking denizen of Jabba's Palace" department.

omnithx
08-12-2008, 11:39 PM
OK seriously, Hasbro... what is going on?

Bane Malar?! I can't even find this guy in the movie!! There are way more worthy characters to be made into figures for Jabba's Palace, like Fozec, Shasa Tiel and Doallyn. I mean, that last guy had some serious screen time, getting pushed around by Boussh and/or Chewie!! Somebody please point him out to me in the film cuz I've tried and can't for the life of me even find this guy. If you can't see him in the movie, then what's the point? It's not like he's a popular EU character or anything. He looks like a guy from Spaced Invaders or something. (I will admit that the figure is well made).

This is just as bad as Djas Puhr.

There was a huge debate about this a little while back. You can read about it here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=37418).

Cane_Adiss
08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I think what the deal with Doallyn and Malar is that in the ROTJ, the guy Chewie pushes down the stairs was canonically Doallyn. The actor was wearing a combination of Bane Malar's costume, and Doallyn's helmet, causing all this confusion. Bane Malar himself never actually appeared in the movie, as nobody in the movie is wearing his helmet.

There are people that are quick to point out that Decipher named the skiff guard wearing a white shirt and Doallyn's helmet as the real Doallyn. But Decipher has made mistakes before, and couldn't it be possible that Doallyn changes clothes at some point?

Either way, Bane Malar is definitely an awesome (if really short) figure. This guy definitely deserved to be made and I'm glad it was sooner rather than later! He was the first figure I grabbed on midnight madness!

Tycho
08-13-2008, 02:40 AM
I bought 7 Bane Malar figures to spread around and populate my dioramas so there are "citizens" in my Star Wars universe (in various scenes where there are crowds).

I think he's a pretty good figure. I'm more inclined to think he's the guy Chewie throws down the stairs as Leia (disguised as Boussh) enters Jabba's Palace.

I'm fairly sure that's what Hasbro was inspired by - the guy Chewie tosses. And from there-on, there might be reference problems and the Decipher card causes more confusion. "Tales From Jabba's Palace" also reinforces it being Doallyn on the stairs, I think.

"I'm so confused." - C-3PO in AOTC

Jargo
08-13-2008, 07:52 AM
meh. he was probably filmed but trimmed out of the movie.

obi-dad
08-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I think what the deal with Doallyn and Malar is that in the ROTJ, the guy Chewie pushes down the stairs was canonically Doallyn. The actor was wearing a combination of Bane Malar's costume, and Doallyn's helmet, causing all this confusion. Bane Malar himself never actually appeared in the movie, as nobody in the movie is wearing his helmet.

I had to laugh when reading this (sorry, nothing malicious intended CA)... as if this was a documentary and "Bane Malar himself never actually appeared in the movie, as nobody in the movie is wearing his helmet". What year did someone even come up with the names Bane Malar and Doallyn? When did they even get a backstory? I include myself in this category, but sometimes we take this stuff too seriously.

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
When in doubt, just figure that every character is the secret son of a Jedi who was raised by Mandalores and became a bounty hunter, then joined the Empire as a double agent for the Rebellion working in Mos Eisley.

obi-dad
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
When in doubt, just figure that every character is the secret son of a Jedi who was raised by Mandalores and became a bounty hunter, then joined the Empire as a double agent for the Rebellion working in Mos Eisley.

LMAO... lol aint that the truth.

TheRealDubya
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

That's awesome.:grin:

AmanaMatt
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
It's not like he's a popular EU character or anything.

This comment makes me want to skin an Ewok alive. So, people would rather have a 'popular' EU character from yet another Marvel comic than a character ACTUALLY in the movie?

obi-dad
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
This comment makes me want to skin an Ewok alive. So, people would rather have a 'popular' EU character from yet another Marvel comic than a character ACTUALLY in the movie?

Not me, but I'd rather have ones with actual lines (or at least more screen time) before ones that you catch a few frames of if you pause the movie.

Cane_Adiss
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I had to laugh when reading this (sorry, nothing malicious intended CA)... as if this was a documentary and "Bane Malar himself never actually appeared in the movie, as nobody in the movie is wearing his helmet". What year did someone even come up with the names Bane Malar and Doallyn? When did they even get a backstory? I include myself in this category, but sometimes we take this stuff too seriously.

No offense taken. I understand what your saying, but I think we as collectors all have taken Star Wars a little "too seriously" by making the huge financial investments we do in its merchandise. Not to mention having it engrained into our daily lifestyles. Not that this is wrong in any way.

We all have our interests, and mine has always been the background characters and aliens (or "set dressing" as they've been called). How they were developed and all that other BTS stuff. I've grown bored with the actual "story" of Star Wars quite awhile ago and now I've put my focus on getting as many of these obscure characters into my collection as I can.

obi-dad
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I actually agree and will buy any OT character with a split second of screen time, though I'll pass on every single new Clonetrooper that comes out. There is still some PT figures I have interest in (like the Lars Clan), but my main interest are the OT figs, background and all.

bigbarada
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I've grown bored with the actual "story" of Star Wars quite awhile ago and now I've put my focus on getting as many of these obscure characters into my collection as I can.

I agree completely. I got bored of eternally recreating the films years ago. It's the background characters that keep my interest after all these decades. However, I have no interest in seeing books or short stories written about any of them.

I compare it to following a favorite artist from a comic book. I simply like the design work of guys like Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Phil Tippet, Nilo-Rodis Jamero, Dave Carson, Ken Ralston, John Mollo, etc. And NOTHING designed for Star Wars from 1984 until now has matched the quality of their work, IMO.

Bane Malar was designed by the most talented Star Wars production team in history. That makes him a piece of production art and a fragment of film history, not a character; but that's why I like him. Not because he was a bounty hunter and former Jedi who planted a bomb in Jabba's Sail Barge while simultaneously stealing the Death Star plans and flying a B-Wing into a Star Destroyer.:)

CanadianPharaoh
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Whatever, dude. The guy has a totally unoriginal outfit. He looks like one of the random spacers in the Cantina scene. "Let's take a helmet from this old sci-fi movie, aaaaaand.... this bullet belt from wardrobe! Yeah!" There's no way they put as much time and effort into Bane Malar's costume than they did sculpting a Nikto mask.

And for the record, I also like the obscure characters in the background and their designs too. I just have standards in buying toys in that when Hasbro puts something out I think the characters that have actual screen time should deserve figures first.

obi-dad
08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
And for the record, I also like the obscure characters in the background and their designs too. I just have standards in buying toys in that when Hasbro puts something out I think the characters that have actual screen time should deserve figures first.

I've come to believe that to keep our interest up in SW figs, Hasbro has decided to pace themselves. I personally would want figures never made before first, then resculpts of poor likenesses/poor articulation, then the split second background characters, with obvious juggling depending on how cool the character is in my opinion. However, I definitely believe Hasbro mixes them all together, including the umpteenth rescupt/repaint of (Vader/Luke/Han, etc) to keep our interest up. If they made all the never before made characters and then the resculpts... how many people would stick around for the 35th version of Tatooine Luke and TPM Anakin? I mean... I'm still questioning Trinto Duaba being made before Bom Vadim???

bigbarada
08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Whatever, dude. The guy has a totally unoriginal outfit. He looks like one of the random spacers in the Cantina scene. "Let's take a helmet from this old sci-fi movie, aaaaaand.... this bullet belt from wardrobe! Yeah!" There's no way they put as much time and effort into Bane Malar's costume than they did sculpting a Nikto mask.

Dude! Why all the hostility? These are toys, relax!

Speaking as someone who has been collecting Star Wars for decades now, I can honestly say that you're not going to get anywhere by insulting Hasbro. All you are doing is making yourself look like a lunatic, ranting raving over children's toys.

So all this anger is not helping your cause, it's just spreading negativity and making all of us collectors look like jack***es.

Old Fossil
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
And, I forgot to add, his original name was Bane Molar, according to the Funk and Wagnall's Definitive Guide to Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, and The Star Wars (1982), which has unfortunately been out of print since 1983.

:tired:

Cane_Adiss
08-14-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm still questioning Trinto Duaba being made before Bom Vadim???

Why? They each got about the same screen time. In my mind, neither is more iconic than the other and neither are even that clearly visible in the film. Most people probably couldn't name what scene they were in or who they sat with. Or spell their names correctly for that matter (Bom Vadim? Who? ;))

My theory is that Hasbro wants to release the more requested aliens alongside less requested aliens to mix it up a bit. So that down the road they don't have a wave w/ just the "lesser" aliens. In this wave I'd have to say that Brainiac and Wioslea are the real draws for alot of people, and Dice Ibegon and Trinto were the lesser requested characters (which makes sense that they'd be the ones packed together). Who knows what they're really thinking though. It could just be they pick names out of a hat. Just a theory.

CanadianPharaoh
08-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not insulting Hasbro, I'm criticizing them. And yes, they're just toys but this is also just a message board. I'm not as up in arms about this issue as you think I am.

Look, I rarely buy figures anymore these days. Pretty much I just buy the ones I need for my Jabba and Cantina dioramas, and the odd new/cool figure that I fancy. When the chance comes around for a new one for my setup and it's a bum choice, can you blame me for being a bit disappointed? I don't buy every single toy ever released anymore but I think I'm at least allowed to voice my opinion as much as any other more serious collector is. Most of my hot air is playing devil's advocate anyways, I mean, I bought the toy too regardless of my opinion.

...That being said, *tail between legs* I'm looking for a Jabba's Court Denizens if anyone has one to sell/trade.

AmanaMatt
08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
...That being said, *tail between legs* I'm looking for a Jabba's Court Denizens if anyone has one to sell/trade.

Which one(s)?

DarkJedi5
08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I think he means the Ultra set with B'Omar monk walker, bubo, and the suction cup guy with the tongue.

CanadianPharaoh
08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for all the pieces, preferably loose but in package is okay (as longer as the seller/trader is okay with the thought of me opening it). Actually I don't need the Monk, just Wol Cabba****e and Bubo. Not gonna put the Monk in the diorama. I have the cardboard one from POTF2 and it's already too full to put Yarna in there!

cookiemonster
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Your leaving Yarna out shame on you, lol.

As for Bane Malar - He is the guy that gets pushed down the stairs, as Boushh and Chewbacca enter the throne room.

As for Djas Puhr - To be honest I think they need to redo him.

DarkJedi5
08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Actually that's the crux of a larger debate in one of the other forums but the character pushed down the stairs is actually Sargent Doallyn. At keast according to wookiepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Doallyn

cookiemonster
08-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Well I have always been under the impression it was Bane Malar, but hey what do I know, I am as in the dark as the rest of you, with all these made up EU names - as far as I know it could be Han Solo and Jabba the Hutts love child, still a nice figure.

But to be honest dont care what anyone else says, the guy who goes down the stairs on his butt will always be Bane Malar (well for me in anycase, obviously others think it was Sgt Doallyn - but thats :thumbsup: cool :thumbsup:).

bigbarada
08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
The guy who gets thrown down the stairs is an amalgamation of Bane Malar and Sgt. Doallyn's costumes. The photos Decipher used to make up the names "Bane Malar" and "Sgt. Doallyn" were costume reference shots and were not necessarily how the characters looked on the day of filming. Lots of last minute changes to the costumes and characters would be made on shooting day because of lighting, color palette (preventing the background characters from drawing the audience's eye away from the main characters), director's whim, etc.

Wookiepedia isn't a final source, so they're prone to get stuff wrong.

El Chuxter
08-19-2008, 01:27 AM
The name Sgt Doallyn actually comes from the story collection, Tales from Jabba's Palace, so it pre-dates Decipher by a couple of years.

bigbarada
08-19-2008, 01:36 AM
The name Sgt Doallyn actually comes from the story collection, Tales from Jabba's Palace, so it pre-dates Decipher by a couple of years.

But that was still written over a decade after the movie came out, wasn't it?

DarkJedi5
08-19-2008, 01:52 AM
I guess the point I was trying to make is that the character that goes down the stairs is different looking (IMO) from the Bane Malar figure we just got.

Cane_Adiss
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
But that was still written over a decade after the movie came out, wasn't it?

What difference does that make? Reference material doesn't change just because ten years go by.

The story in the Tales book was based on the character who got pushed down the stairs (Doallyn) and when it came time for Decipher to create a card of the character they used the photo of a skiff guard wearing Doallyn's style helmet. Perhaps because it was the clearest photo of the helmet available.

Unfortunately this made it seem as though the skiff guard and Doallyn were the same guy, which doesn't gel with what happens in the Tales story. Thus - years later - there's all this confusion.

CanadianPharaoh
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't worry, Yarna is making it in there! Honestly just haven't found the time cuz the diorama is under glass and it's hard to get to. I'll have to place her in there with tweezers or something.

The reason I think it's Doallyn getting pushed down the stairs: There's an obvious space between the helmet and the tubing around it. It lets light pass through the space when you see him pushed down the stairs. Bane Malar has no space by his helmet; the tubing sits tight along the edge. And also, I agree with whoever brought up the fact that the top protrusion from Bane's helmet not being on the pushed down guy's helmet. I will still hold that it is NOT Bane Malar falling down the stairs.

It's starting to sound to me like you guys are trying to justify Hasbro's manufacturing of a totally irrelevant character.

bigbarada
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
What difference does that make? Reference material doesn't change just because ten years go by.

The story in the Tales book was based on the character who got pushed down the stairs (Doallyn) and when it came time for Decipher to create a card of the character they used the photo of a skiff guard wearing Doallyn's style helmet. Perhaps because it was the clearest photo of the helmet available.

Unfortunately this made it seem as though the skiff guard and Doallyn were the same guy, which doesn't gel with what happens in the Tales story. Thus - years later - there's all this confusion.

Well, the outfits and photographs of those outfits existed in 1983, but not their names or backstories. Someone, who wasn't even involved in the initial creation of these costumes came in over a decade later and started piecing together unrelated reference photos to make a story and of course they got stuff wrong.

It's starting to sound to me like you guys are trying to justify Hasbro's manufacturing of a totally irrelevant character.

Who cares if he's irrelevant? So is 90% of the Cantina. I'm just happy to see that he's been made and Hasbro is this dedicated to making a cool action figure of someone who barely made it into the movie, if at all.

The figure isn't pegwarming, so I don't think he needs to be justified at all.

cookiemonster
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey come on lets everyone take their chill pills, as far as I am concerned its whoever the hell you want it to be, if it means they make Sgt Doallyn then thats cool as well (or whoever you want to call that one).

All I know he looks good in Jabba's Palace, and as far as I am concerned and to be honest thats the only one that matters to me in this - Its Bane Malar, rightly or wrongly, but thats the fun of Star Wars you can have whoever you want in your collection, because its exactlly that YOUR COLLECTION, you dont want him to be Bane Malar then he's not, if you want him to be then he is.

You know some of you guys take this far to seriously, what you going to do storm Hasbro and demand they change the card name, come lets get real and enjoy the figure for what it is a well made plastic toy.:thumbsup:

bigbarada
08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey come on lets everyone take their chill pills, as far as I am concerned its whoever the hell you want it to be, if it means they make Sgt Doallyn then thats cool as well (or whoever you want to call that one).

All I know he looks good in Jabba's Palace, and as far as I am concerned and to be honest thats the only one that matters to me in this - Its Bane Malar, rightly or wrongly, but thats the fun of Star Wars you can have whoever you want in your collection, because its exactlly that YOUR COLLECTION, you dont want him to be Bane Malar then he's not, if you want him to be then he is.

You know some of you guys take this far to seriously, what you going to do storm Hasbro and demand they change the card name, come lets get real and enjoy the figure for what it is a well made plastic toy.:thumbsup:

Believe it or not, I'm trying to make the exact same point. All these EU names and background stories were written more than a decade after the film premiered and people talk about them like they were discussed in depth in the film.

Some writer, who had nothing to do with the original films, made up all these stories off the top of his head. Thus, they can be disregarded completely and are not relevant to the greater story of the movies.

mabudonicus
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
anyone trying to make the EU fit with what's in the films probably needs some kind of help, and I don't mean reference material :D
:beard: Iso&Baws

Amanaman the naked bounty hunter with useless legs who would HAVE to lure his prey into a viney jungle anyone??

Jabbapalacespy
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a sugestion. I agree that the character thrown down the stairs in Jabba's palace is wearing a combination of Bane Malar's and Sgt. Doallyn costumes - Malar's helmet and Doallyn's uniform. Well, if my memory serves me correctly when Bane Malar's figure was announced Hasbro hinted at the fact that they will make a Sgt. Doallyn figure someday. If that is the case, and assuming they make the figures the same proportion, couldn't we just swap heads? The newer ball-in-socket heads would make this easy. It might just work :sur:

Anyway, I like the Bane Malar figure, but then again I'm a sucker for any obscure character out of Jabba's Palace or Cantina even if it's only been seen in production photos. And I can think of a few other characters that I've seen only in production photos that I've yet to actually see in the film like Sic-six and Rockwart (the lobster looking thing, not the toad-like creatures outside Jabba's palace.) Who knows, maybe Hasbro will make these too someday. :rolleyes:

Tycho
08-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Isn't it Doaylln's helmet and Malar's uniform? I think you have it reversed Jabbapalacespy. ;)

BaneMalar
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
<=== obviously loves the BM figure

BaneMalar
08-26-2008, 08:46 PM
btw...I can't believe they actually made this figure really...but sicne seeing him on the CCG I was a fan of the costume design. I think everyone here can agree he is a nice looking figure and looks great on a shelf scene....yes?

TheRealDubya
08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
btw...I can't believe they actually made this figure really...but sicne seeing him on the CCG I was a fan of the costume design. I think everyone here can agree he is a nice looking figure and looks great on a shelf scene....yes?

I agree -- it's a very nice figure, one of the best this year.

jedibear
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I think so too...it's always cool has Hasbro throws in some real obscure background characters into some of the waves and they end up being some of the coolest, most detailed and eye-catching figures. He's one of my favorites of the year too...

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Nice photos, more exciting than he deserves. ;)

I think this alien is turning into a pegwarmer around here, not surprising to me since he doesn't have a removable face or recognizable alien features, may not even be an alien, and he's small on card.