PDA

View Full Version : Hoth Recon Patrol Variation

Veers
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I went to Wal Mart and seen a Hoth Recon Patrol Set. I picked up the normal version that came with K3PO and the black looking droid. I also noticed one that had C3PO in it along with a red R5 droid. I got the K3PO because I thought he was cool and left the one with C3PO. I went back and it was sold and I am kicking myself for not picking it up. Has anyone else found this variation?:frus:

Devo
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
A possible case of customer deceit - they buy it but only want 2 figures in it so they switch them for older figures and return it, the staff being ignorant as to what should have been in the set? If thats the case no kicking of yourself needed.

Veers
08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I think that might be the case since I cannot find no info on any variation on this. Yeah, someone did switch this out. I do not understand people when they do this.

Devo
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
I presume by 'red R5' you meant R5-D4, the 2006 figure. Surely couldn't have been the Red leader R5 in the upcoming Yavin battlepack because even if it could be no one would want to get rid of that figure.

Veers
08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
No, it was not R5-D4. It was a R5 unit with different paint scheme. If I find it again, I will post pics of it.

DarkArtist
08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
found these 2 beauties today at Walmart in North Brunswick. was tempted by the cool "Retro Han and Company" but figured i'd pass and wait for the updated versions to come out:

DarkJedi5
08-29-2008, 05:27 PM
found these 2 beauties today at Walmart in North Brunswick. was tempted by the cool "Retro Han and Company" but figured i'd pass and wait for the updated versions to come out:

Wow that's some brazen figure swapping some one did. I'm really surprised people are that interested in trying to screw Walmart.

cookiemonster
08-29-2008, 07:49 PM
The only problem is it aint screwing Walmart because they will sell it to some unsuspecting kid or first time collector who isnt aware of sites like these, and will think its the new set, I think whoever did this is just wrong.

bigbarada
08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I wonder how many people have resealed the old POTF2 Millenium Falcon into the BMF Falcon box and returned it to the store for a full refund?

bigbarada
08-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Okay, for those of you who quickly crammed your POTF2 Millennium Falcons into the BMF Falcon box and rushed it back to the store to get your $150 back, I have one question for you....

Did it work?:twisted:

Of course, knowing my Wal-Mart, I could fill my BMF Falcon box with potting soil and seal it up with duct tape and they'd still take it back no questions asked. Aside from, "What is this? Is it a DVD?" Natch.:D

Blue2th
08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Careful, if you start down the dark path of switching figures, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I once helped Walmart try to catch a vehicle switcher in the 21st Century military toy section, by pointing out to the managers that they had 4 or 5 switched out tanks or trucks ($20 ones for $2 ones) They put out an alert at the return desk, sure enough two days later a person came in with a tank, and they said they have to get the toy manager to double check, and the person ran out of the store.

I have no love for Walmart, but if I can't get the toys I want when the the ones on the shelf have been switched and have been there for ages, Walmart doesn't have a clue as to why these are not selling and won't restock, it effects me.

Toy switchers are worse than scalpers! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Amen to that. I have encountered many switched figures in my day, and it ****es me off every time. I would love to catch one of these idiots in the act . . . obviously it's not the worst thing a human could do, but it's still a form of stealing and it hurts collectors, kids, and ultimately, the hobby as a whole.

bigbarada
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Careful, if you start down the dark path of switching figures, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I once helped Walmart try to catch a vehicle switcher in the 21st Century military toy section, by pointing out to the managers that they had 4 or 5 switched out tanks or trucks ($20 ones for $2 ones) They put out an alert at the return desk, sure enough two days later a person came in with a tank, and they said they have to get the toy manager to double check, and the person ran out of the store.

I have no love for Walmart, but if I can't get the toys I want when the the ones on the shelf have been switched and have been there for ages, Walmart doesn't have a clue as to why these are not selling and won't restock, it effects me.

That last post of mine was a joke of course. Although the ladies who work at the returns desk at my Wal-Mart really are clueless enough to accept a box of rocks as a return.

Anyways, I hope no one has seriously tried this, mainly because I want the BMF treatment on a new AT-AT at some point in the near future.

Blue2th
08-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I knew you were joking BigB. :)

Watch though I'll bet this happens somewhere with the Falcon.

After that little incedent the toy manager asked me if I wanted to work at Walmart. I politely said no.

DarkArtist
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM

nice job. i had a similiar story like yours at a walmart where i constantly keep pointing out toys that were switched and then restocked on the shevles. first it was one of the first 25th anniversary cobra sets in which the figures were switched for figures from the Corps series. then it was a legacy figure of Darth Vader with Obi's cloak that was replaced with a POTF vader and no cloak.

i brought both to a walmart manager who thanked me. 2 days later while looking for new figures the same items were back on the shelves. i spotted the same manager and pointed them out to which he asked what do you care, you don't work here. i blew him off saying he was an *** not to care about the merchandise in his store.

Blue2th
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
nice job. i had a similiar story like yours at a walmart where i constantly keep pointing out toys that were switched and then restocked on the shevles. first it was one of the first 25th anniversary cobra sets in which the figures were switched for figures from the Corps series. then it was a legacy figure of Darth Vader with Obi's cloak that was replaced with a POTF vader and no cloak.

i brought both to a walmart manager who thanked me. 2 days later while looking for new figures the same items were back on the shelves. i spotted the same manager and pointed them out to which he asked what do you care, you don't work here. i blew him off saying he was an *** not to care about the merchandise in his store.
Yeah, that wasn't the end of the story. It's much like yours. This guy who was switching military toys was doing it all over town, even at Targets and TRU. He must have been bulding up his invasion force for D-Day. lol
Some Walmarts would just ignore me, some would act like they care just like you, then I would see the same toys on the shelf. Target seemed to care about it (especially when I found 5 in one day)
I think some people who work at Walmart don't really give a damn, because of the way they are treated by the management.
Well in the recent reset Walmart had, some stores are now not going to carry 21st Century toys anymore, and blew them all out. I never did stop this toy switcher, and I wonder if he had some small part in 21st's recent falling out with Walmart (they are rumoured to be also having trouble paying their bills to the Chinese)

Just last week I found a 1:18 plane switched out for another older one, missing most of it's parts and the pilot at TRU. I told one of the employees, and they pulled it. It hasn't been back.

sebillba
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Slightly changing the subject here, but I received my Hoth Recon set this week from ebay, and was expecting Han to be a brown coat version, but instead, mine seems to have been moulded in brown plastic then painted blue.... what's that all about??? :confused: Is this Hasbro's attempt at making a screen accurate Hoth Han, of having a brown coat that looks blue?? Why couldn't they have just left it brown for people who believe this is the correct colour? :frus: I actually prefer the blue coat, but I already have that version from the Droid Factory set, and was hoping for something different from this pack. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
That's the one everyone's getting; it's like the VTSC one. I actually really like it since it could look both brown or blue, which is why the blue coat one is just pointless.

sebillba
08-31-2008, 02:22 PM
You're right, I thought my VTSC one was plain brown, but I've just checked it, and it does have a faint blue wash over it. The new one looks more blue though, and too similar to the DF one.