PDA

View Full Version : Teachers

Pages : 1 [2] 3

TeeEye7
03-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, we like the cookies too! It's just the fact that we can't buy from every little girl who asks my wife. Seeing the disappointment in their little faces gets difficult!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2010, 10:07 PM
That's why I never cared to partake in any sort of fund-raising thing like that at school. Not so much the disappointment, because I never actually got to that point. Instead, it was more like, "who the heck am I gonna collect donations from or sell something to?" I didn't live in town where it would have been more convenient to go door to door, and even if I did, that would have been kind of intimidating. Trying to ask people you know kind of puts them in an awkward position if they aren't really interested. Plus, my parents didn't feel we should ask them anyway.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Have confiscated 6 cell phones in the last 2 days (two during the SAME CLASS PERIOD). Have the kids not learned by now? Shall I soapbox about my hatred of cell phones again? :upset: (that might be a worse punishment for them)

Mad Slanted Powers
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Have confiscated 6 cell phones in the last 2 days (two during the SAME CLASS PERIOD). Have the kids not learned by now? Shall I soapbox about my hatred of cell phones again? :upset: (that might be a worse punishment for them)

Next time you give a test, you should take out a cell phone and start talking on it.

TeeEye7
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
STAR testing this week.

Time for this boy to duck and cover! :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
We finished our testing last week. The school's had a "Drive for 835" campaign all year (the API score adds up to that amount; it would be a 5-point increase), to expand on the school's county-leading level.

Today is both nice to have as an "unplanned" day off, but since it's due to budget issues, the pay cut part isn't so nice. Oh, but I have a pile of papers on my lap as I am typing this message. :noreliefforthegraders:

Lord Malakite
04-27-2010, 04:40 AM
STAR testing this week.

Time for this boy to duck and cover! :yes:

Nemesis: S.T.A.R.S.!!!

Maradona
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
APs start next week, CSTs in 2. The countdown for school year's end is here.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I've had office hours for the last two weeks or so as two of my classes are done and then my other class had two days of presentations. I'm collecting final projects for my three regular classes and my DL course on thursday. Then, LOTS o' grading. Should be a hoot. :crazed:

Slicker
04-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Awesome! Pretty soon I'll get to be a member in this thread! I'm gonna be a teacher of sorts. More of an instructor at training school but nonetheless...

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Oh, but I have a pile of papers on my lap as I am typing this message. :noreliefforthegraders:

Isn't that what t.a.'s are for? :D

Maradona
04-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Parent Conference Night is today. I love when parents show interest in their kids. Sadly, only a small percentage does.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Parent Conference Night is today. I love when parents show interest in their kids. Sadly, only a small percentage does.

I'd love to see parental involvement even at the college level. I'd LOVE to send out progress reports to the parents of some of these schmuck 18-19 year olds who are gleefully wasting time and their parents $$. I'd see lots of participation and hard work if that happened. Stupid FERPA.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Awesome! Pretty soon I'll get to be a member in this thread! I'm gonna be a teacher of sorts. More of an instructor at training school but nonetheless...Dude, I totally looked up the word "instructor," and it's like, a cinammon or something for "teacher." Sweet!

Maradona
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd love to see parental involvement even at the college level. I'd LOVE to send out progress reports to the parents of some of these schmuck 18-19 year olds who are gleefully wasting time and their parents $$. I'd see lots of participation and hard work if that happened. Stupid FERPA.

Of the 178 students enrolled on my rosters, 34 parents showed up for parent conference night. Anyone wondering about the crisis in education need not look much further than that ratio. On top of that, this is a GREAT school: our API is 818, graduation rate has been 92-96% the last few years.

Above all this, though, I blame the drop off in comic book readership over the past 20 years. I know, this may sound bizarre, but I'm an English teacher readership and circulation are way down compared to when I was in high school in the late 80s. Apart from that, comics are no longer priced or written for kids.

El Chuxter
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Not to mention that they're available only in specialty shops which, in most areas, aren't in places kids would be going anyway. You don't get that introduction by finding a comic based on a movie or toy you know at the grocery store or gas station (most people don't even go into gas stations anymore), then finding out that there are entire stores devoted to this unbridled awesomeness. Even things like Free Comic Book Day, which should really heighten awareness, are essentially for folks who are already reading. (The comic shops have to pay to carry the books. Why doesn't Diamond use the proceeds to run an advertising blitz?)

I don't blame video games for the downturn in comics. They were around in the 1980s. The NES, SNES, GameBoy, and Sega Genesis were all on sale and massively popular during the sales heyday of the early 1990s. People tend to forget that.

Given how many people claim they learned to read, or became interested in reading, as a result of comics, you really have a point there.

TeeEye7
05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
My wife is beginning to sport that "light at the end of the tunnel" look! :thumbsup:

Through a weary face, of course....

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Am getting closer to finishing those pesky research projects; here's hoping their quality improves, however. :(

I avoid being a "countdown" person, as it makes one less focused and, well, tunnel-eyed. But there are 12 left, with the last three as half-day finals (two classes per). But who's counting? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Am getting closer to finishing those pesky research projects; here's hoping their quality improves, however. :(

... with the last three as half-day finals (two classes per). But who's counting? :rolleyes:No dice on the quality, and sadly, few students took my opportunity for re-write extra credit seriously. :(

All that's left now are the three finals days next week. I'm counting, apparently. :pleased:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Of the 178 students enrolled on my rosters, 34 parents showed up for parent conference night. Anyone wondering about the crisis in education need not look much further than that ratio. On top of that, this is a GREAT school: our API is 818, graduation rate has been 92-96% the last few years.

Two things stood out (I know this was a while back) but:

1) Why was conference night so late in the school year? That may be one reason for the low turnout.

2) The turnout rate is usually pretty good for elementary schools. Most parents recognize the need to keep on top of things for their elementary school age students.

While parents should turn out regardless of age, I know the expectation is that students, when they reach middle and high school age, the need to "be in the know" isn't as great.

I have about 75% turnout for my 5th grade class during our open house and even greater for conference days and nights.

Of course scheduling conferences and having parents blow them off is a different story.

Oh and congrats to the California based teachers. You will surely have and extra jig in your step this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Oh and congrats to the California based teachers. You will surely have and extra jig in your step this week.They say the only stupid question is the one not asked, so I'll bite: why exactly should we CA teachers be dancing jigs this week?

Maradona
05-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing it has to do with the additional day off this week due to furloughing. I thought it was only for LAUSD.

Maradona
05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
1) Why was conference night so late in the school year? That may be one reason for the low turnout.

This was our second parent conference night of the year. The first was the first week of December, during the first semester. We also had Back to School Night in September.

2) The turnout rate is usually pretty good for elementary schools. Most parents recognize the need to keep on top of things for their elementary school age students.

Often, school districts fail to understand that scheduling conference nights unilaterally makes parents have to choose between their elementary kids and high school kids. Many times, parents have complained to me about this.

Ultimately, the parent conference model that I have been exposed to during my career, just this one school for 9 years, leads me to believe there must be a better way for teachers and parents to communicate. My students and their parents can access me online, but less than 10% do. Many teachers offer this option, but until there is some reform in the area of conferencing to make it more alluring to parents, I think they'll just continue to stay home on conference nights.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm guessing it has to do with the additional day off this week due to furloughing. I thought it was only for LAUSD.Our day was last week; it actually allowed me to catch up on some grading.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Our day was last week; it actually allowed me to catch up on some grading.And now our last day of the year is today... but I still have about half my finals left to grade.

My tentative teaching schedule has me with a non-6th period (it will be 4th) as my prep for the first time in about six years (if you don't count the year I taught all six periods with no prep).

TeeEye7
06-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Today is my wife's first full day of freedom and, oh, is she happy! Especially since she's out shopping! :cross-eye

There goes my overtime!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Got word that I'm coming back to teach for the third and final year of my contract next year. I'm very, VERY happy about this. The only question I have: what do I do after next year?!??!! PhD?!??! Writing Certificate?!?! ahhhhh!

Lord Malakite
06-09-2010, 07:09 AM
what do I do after next year?!??!! PhD?!??! Writing Certificate?!?!!
Wal-Mart Stockboy?!?!! McDonald's fry salter?!?!! Slicker's Mom's sweat rag?!?!! :razz:

Darth Metalmute
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
They turned in 4th quarter grades at my wifes school on the last Friday in May. Today was their last day with students. Needless to say she is very happy the school year is over.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Received some back-to-school paperwork in the mail today. Sigh... it's getting closer to August. :( Holding onto summer like grim death... :tired:

Maradona
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Our start date is Sept. 13. The latest I have ever begun a school year.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2010, 10:31 AM
So, are any others of you going back to school this week? Tomorrow is our all-staff meeting and then some with the department. Tuesday is the big day. I have a 1st period prep for the first time ever; it doesn't do me much good, as I still arrive about an hour prior to start time (which, BTW, is now 7 later this year). I am going to be draggin' by the end of the day. :tired:

TeeEye7
08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Mrs. TI7's big day is tomorrow.

This weekend has been as the closest thing I'll ever experience to an EF5 tornado........

Bel-Cam Jos
08-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I love seeing all these back-to-school ads in print and on TV... that was three weeks ago for me (but I'll still pick up some items if I need 'em... except for fashions my classmates will love :p ).

Maradona
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Our summer bridge program for at-risk, incoming 9th graders begins tomorrow. One week of half days set up to reverse any negative behaviors as early as possible. After Friday, though, the kids don't return until Sept. 13... plenty of time for those bad habits to reappear.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Classes started this morning and so far, so good. I've scared the crap out of 18 kids by faking the "time for a 100 question test!" scheme. Good times! :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Every year (it's been nine?!? already?), I change my door sign at the entrance of my room. Apparently, I didn't take pictures of all of them, but here are three (the "space" one if this year's sign) that are often based on a year-long theme. I'm missign my SW script logo, my Etch-A-Sketch, my cafe, my nutrional information, my "clear" hand, and one other I fail to recall right now.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
In a message received today, the words "vague," "unapproachable," and "aloof." Hmm. :confused:

TeeEye7
09-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Your principal needs to get out more often....

Maradona
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I went to see Waiting for Superman this weekend. My union sent out a message to the base urging us NOT to see it - which made me want to see it even more than the awesome poster that hangs in my classroom. The film was fantastic. Have any of you seen it yet?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I haven't seen it listed in the local theater (or theatre :p ) times yet. I want to see it as an educator, but I want to avoid it as a teacher (if that makes any sense). So I will likely catch it once it's here (maybe with some members of my dept.).

TeeEye7
10-23-2010, 10:26 PM
My son recently acquired a job as an after school program teacher at the beginning of the school year. He teaches science at one of the lower economic neighborhood schools. His school had their "back to school" night this past week. The number of parents that attended: zero. Absolute no-show for the entire school. No kidding.

"That is why you fail".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
You've heard of the 5 stages of grief? welcome to the 5 stages of grading.

http://notthatkindofdoctor.com/2010/10/the-five-stages-of-grading/

I'm really guilty of #2 and #3. lol

and that's sad to hear, TE7. Sadly, many parents just don't care about how their children approach their studies. They just assume they'll be passed/pass the class.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I feel like a metaphoric crash test dummy lately, except the actual dummies have some protective gear to protect them. :( :cross-eye

JimJamBonds
10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
My son recently acquired a job as an after school program teacher at the beginning of the school year. He teaches science at one of the lower economic neighborhood schools. His school had their "back to school" night this past week. The number of parents that attended: zero. Absolute no-show for the entire school. No kidding.

"That is why you fail".

Nobody!!!! WOW!!!!

TeeEye7
10-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Nobody!!!! WOW!!!!

Correct. Unfortunately, I think that translates as future job security for me. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Once (if?) I found out who hot glued my classroom door lock today, I'll send 'em up your way, TI. :upset: :vandalism:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
So far I have had the best start ever in my 6 year teaching career. Great class, leaving school earlier (I know that sounds bad, but for me I would putz around after school forever sometimes getting home 6:30 or so, not good time).

I have said that so often the past month that I feel that it is going to bite me in the backside.

TeeEye7
11-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I am now firmly convinced that teachers need to start a tea party movement.

Enough already! The Feds and state governments have failed miserably. Let teachers teach! Stop with the Hitleresque mandates of failure! :upset:

You all need to take back the classroom! :yes:

sith_killer_99
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
I am now firmly convinced that teachers need to start a tea party movement.

Enough already! The Feds and state governments have failed miserably. Let teachers teach! Stop with the Hitleresque mandates of failure! :upset:

You all need to take back the classroom! :yes:

You better watch it, you'll be labeled a Libertarian. The next thing you know you will be supporting Ron Paul and your name will be added to the Domestic Terror watch list. :p

I tend to agree with you, Federal spending on education has had zero positive impact, despite major increases in Federal spending. This is due in part to all the strings attached to the money. :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm going to keep my teaching comments to myself; things aren't too good on my end either (and the worst part is that my school and district are excellent, so it would be deplorable elsewhere :upset: ).

Darth Metalmute
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM
JMG,
What did you think of the article in the Bland about how the teachers are not feeling the economic crunch?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
JMG,
What did you think of the article in the Bland about how the teachers are not feeling the economic crunch?

I haven't read it, but from hearing that general statement I kind of have to laugh at it. Depending on your seniority/position, a teacher may or may not be changed/hurt by the current economic state. Considering I *only* have my Master's and am heading towards the end of my contract where I teach, I'm definitely feeling the crunch. Now, if you have tenure, you could pretty much take a dump in your dean's breakfast and not be fired. lol

In terms of looking for jobs, as I understand it, there are lots of jobs, usually in the south or out west. My wife and I plan to head out west when she gets her Master's as we want to live in Vegas for a bit and then see what happens.

Now, for high school/elementary, etc teachers, they are definitely feeling the crunch as they're getting laid off left and right. This is only going to harm those who vote against their levies though as if you get rid of teachers, you get larger class sizes which means less time per student and then the student gets a lesser education and can't compete in college and beyond.

Darth Metalmute
11-16-2010, 07:28 AM
The article was about suburban high school/elementary teachers and how they make *cough* $90,000 a year in Northwest Ohio.

It was definetely an over-generalfication as most of the positions listed where actually administrators and specials, and the teachers that were listed hold multiple jobs; ie. track, student council etc.

The Bland has always had it out for the teachers and this was their way to get the reading masses angry.

Neuroleptic
11-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Still working on becoming an art teacher at the moment. Won't actualy be one for at least another 4 years. Reading this thread though has me wondering.

Am I making a huge mistake?

TeeEye7
11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Am I making a huge mistake?

No, you are not making a mistake.

My rant above is because my wife just had her annual review a few days ago (her teaching was observed by one of her administrators) and got in trouble for not using the "official" curriculum blessed by the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (which SK99 astutely knew has all sorts of money attached....use our stuff or it's off with your head!). The kids didn't understand the concepts as laid out by the material, so she successfully taught the concept using other materials she prefers the kids (year after year) did understand. She was spanked because she used books out of the party line. Hopefully, this insanity will cease by the time you get your degree.

Neuroleptic
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
No, you are not making a mistake.

My rant above is because my wife just had her annual review a few days ago (her teaching was observed by one of her administrators) and got in trouble for not using the "official" curriculum blessed by the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (which SK99 astutely knew has all sorts of money attached). The kids didn't understand the concepts as laid out by the material, so she successfully taught the concept using materials the kids did understand. She was spanked because she used books out of the party line. Hopefully, this insanity will cease by the time you get your degree.

Ah. You speak of NCLB? Yeah I'm not too thrilled about that either. I see it almost as an attempt by some in our government to intentionaly destroy our public school system because they see free education as a terrible thing.

For what it's worth, I wish more teachers would stand up and teach how they feel is best, even if it gets them in trouble, and applaud your wife for doing so.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Ah. You speak of NCLB? Yeah I'm not too thrilled about that either. I see it almost as an attempt by some in our government to intentionaly destroy our public school system because they see free education as a terrible thing.

For what it's worth, I wish more teachers would stand up and teach how they feel is best, even if it gets them in trouble, and applaud your wife for doing so.Actually, NCLB is being phased out for Race to the Top, which IMHO is worse, if that's possible. Schools should be to prepare kids for their future lives and critical thinking an decision-making, not take out-of-context exams at a pace determined by someone/something else.

Wait, didn't I say I'd shut up? :o

TeeEye7
11-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Wait, didn't I say I'd shut up? :o

Yes, but your statements are worth breaking silence. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
11-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I went to the grocery store with Mrs. TI7 yesterday to pick up a few necessities for dinner. It shouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes to accomplish. We were in the store for 2 hours because my wife kept running into parents, kids, and retired colleagues who just had to discuss little Jimmy's progress, or catch up on old times.

How often does this happen with other SSG teachers or is my wife (and therefore me) blessed with this? Good thing our "off time" isn't important!

Lord Malakite
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Found an interesting deal for anybody here that maybe interested in looking into it more, Adobe ColdFusion 9 (https://freeriatools.adobe.com/coldfusion/) free for teachers and students. From my understanding ColdFusion includes IDE using CFML, a full scripting language resembling HTML. It is commonly used to create data-drive sites or intranets. Other features include object-relational mapping, instance-based licensing, and AIR local/remote database synchronization.

Darth Metalmute
11-22-2010, 08:36 AM
How often does this happen with other SSG teacher or is my wife (and therefore me) blessed with this? Good thing our "off time" isn't important!

Ugh, and it's not just parents of her students. It's parents of our sons friends and parents that are in the PTA and so on.

At least you were in the store. My wife usually jumps out of the car to pick up a few quick things. "I'll only be 5 minutes." A half an hour later she walks out with bread and milk. "Oh I ran into such and such."

You know whats really beginning to drive me nuts? Going to Parent-Teacher conferences for our son. I put the over/under on how many times my wife would tell his teacher that she herself was a teacher at 5 times. And as soon as my sons teacher discovers that my wife is a teacher, then she always talks solely to her and in a different language.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Thankfully I don't get the conversations, just recognition. I also follow the "rule of the schoolyard," where it's okay for a student to initiate the "hello" and weird for the teacher to do so.

Living within 20 miles of the school where I teach means I see a lot of current and former students and parents about the area. But I try to keep my teacher life and "regular" life separate, to avoid any potential issues with how students and/or parents perceive things, so that there aren't problems now or later.

But I have no issues with speaking to current or former colleagues when out and about. But always try to include those people I'm out with in any conversations I have in public; so I attempt to limit the amount of "teacher jargon" that Darth Metalmute mentioned.

TeeEye7
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, well, well. My wife has been deemed a worthy teacher again! :rolleyes:
New principal and staff this year muscle flexing.

She was a victim of Alexander Haig syndrome: "I'm in charge!"

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Think of the tagline from those Mastercard commercials: today, a student told me his notebook did not have a course score in it. I asked him he didn't put his name on it, because then I wouldn't know whose it was to give him the overall class grade; he said no. Then he proceeded to tell me he left it at home and didn't turn it in last time. I told him that would explain why there's no score, and that I can't grade what isn't turned in. He asked what he can do, and I told him he could bring it tomorrow since it's not with him now. He seemed okay with that.

Priceless.

sith_killer_99
11-29-2010, 09:48 PM
MasterCard commercials, if you have to type out a paragraph, you're doing it wrong. :p

Maradona
11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Think of the tagline from those Mastercard commercials: today, a student told me his notebook did not have a course score in it. I asked him he didn't put his name on it, because then I wouldn't know whose it was to give him the overall class grade; he said no. Then he proceeded to tell me he left it at home and didn't turn it in last time. I told him that would explain why there's no score, and that I can't grade what isn't turned in. He asked what he can do, and I told him he could bring it tomorrow since it's not with him now. He seemed okay with that.

Priceless.

My mantra: NO NAME, NO CREDIT! I always advise students not to put their name on anything they are not proud of, though. So I interpret anything without a name as having been deemed unworthy of one. A colleague of mine just tosses them in the trash.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
My mantra: NO NAME, NO CREDIT! I always advise students not to put their name on anything they are not proud of, though. So I interpret anything without a name as having been deemed unworthy of one. A colleague of mine just tosses them in the trash.That's what I thought at first. But in his case, he received no grade because it was at his house, never turned it in!

MasterCard commercials, if you have to type out a paragraph, you're doing it wrong. :p And I had no dollar amount$, either.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
A few months back, a teacher on campus organized a letters-for-the-troops campaign, and sent them to base(s) overseas. Well, yesterday, one of the soldiers (who'd atendted the school) came to the campus to personally thank the classes who sent letters. Talk about showing kids how their efforts have rewards beyond points and grades. :salute:

TeeEye7
04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
A few months back, a teacher on campus organized a letters-for-the-troops campaign, and sent them to base(s) overseas. Well, yesterday, one of the soldiers (who'd atendted the school) came to the campus to personally thank the classes who sent letters. Talk about showing kids how their efforts have rewards beyond points and grades. :salute:

*Pushes "Like" button*

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Any teachers here having to make sacrifices due to budget constraints in their state? Our district is laying off elementary school teachers for the 2nd year in a row due to shortfalls in the budget. If I was hired two years later, I would be out of job, but made the cutoff.

Our district is choosing to close its 3rd elementary school in 2 years next year (closing was long overdue) and will be displacing many jobs. They are also moving all 5th and 6th grade teachers (of which I am one) to one of our middle schools and are "repurposing" it as a elementary school. I am very thankful to have a job.

Maradona
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm thankful to be employed also.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Thankfully, our district has always been conservative in its budgeting and predictions, so it seems we'll be free of layoffs this year. I'm right in the middle seniority-wise overall in the district, and at my school site and my department.

I've been trying to help out my department by seeking good deals on supplies and buying them in small amounts and giving them out at needed times of the year (i.e. final exams, research projects, syllabi, etc.), by using any leftover funds from my classroom recycling stuff. And I work out some trades and barter for extra items I don't need anymore.

Neuroleptic
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
While I'm not currently teaching, I'm currently wondering about my prospects of actualy getting a job when I do get out of school in 3 to 4 years, as I want to teach secondary art, and with the budget cuts state governments are insisting on, I'm not sure how that'll go. I suppose there's always private schools?

In my town, we recently had a massive protest of sorts that actualy worked to keep our middle school open when the district started saying they where going to shut it down. 300 out of 450 people that live in our town showed up to a meeting about it and signed up to talk about it. (I was first in line, and all I did was read the back of the district's own forms that state in itty bitty print that closing schools does not save a district money in the long term).

I don't know if any of that counts as being on topic, but it's very much on my mind.

Slicker
04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
If it matters I almost didn't get paid at all and would still have to have taught. Thankfully they passed they budget...

El Chuxter
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
If it matters I almost didn't get paid at all and would still have to have taught. Thankfully they passed they budget...

That's because the boys (and girls) in Washington only care about your ilk when it comes to photo ops. ;)

sith_killer_99
04-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Actually the plan was to pay us for the 1st-8th then give us our back pay on the 1st after they passed the budget. If you got paid once a month your wouldn't even have noticed. Stop being a drama queen. Rookie. I am old enough to remember dealing with this under Clinton (I guess I'm getting older). lol

Darth Metalmute
04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
They are completely eliminating middle schools in TPS. This move has created a problem that all the 7th and 8th grade teachers must now move to the high school level since they are not qualified to teach all subjects. So now TPS have an over-employed high school area and an under-employed elementary school level. I guess they don't consider it a problem since they are going to lay off 300 more teachers.

bigbarada
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Actually the plan was to pay us for the 1st-8th then give us our back pay on the 1st after they passed the budget. If you got paid once a month your wouldn't even have noticed. Stop being a drama queen. Rookie. I am old enough to remember dealing with this under Clinton (I guess I'm getting older). lol

I remember those days, too. We were debating whether we were even supposed to report to work, but our pay continued on without a hitch, even though the government actually shut down during those budget standoffs.

sith_killer_99
04-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I remember those days, too. We were debating whether we were even supposed to report to work, but our pay continued on without a hitch, even though the government actually shut down during those budget standoffs.

Yeah, they attempted to do something similar with our pay this time out. A few members suggested passing a bill to fund the troops while they worked out the budget. The ldea got shot down, I believe it was called a "distraction".

On a side note, Congress was still scheduled to get paid. I know of just one Congressperson who said they would refuse to take any pay until the troops got paid. That same individual is working to get legislation passes that would prevent the military from ever being in this position again. Basically, even if Congress fails to pass a budget we would still get paid. Odd, that Congress would still pay themselves when the whole mess happened because they failed to do their job to begin with and pass a budget back in October.

I remember the confusion of the shut down in the 90's. We weren't sure if we were going to get paid or have to come into work.

It was pretty clear this time out. The word was sent down to Commanders to explain to their troops in detail what would happen, including the "you are still required to report to work". lol

Bel-Cam Jos
05-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Scuttlebutt 'round these parts, is that there will likely be 6 less (or 15, if you believe the fearmongers) school days to next year's calendar. And our schools win, too? Racing to the top? Nobody let behind? :(

But on the positive side, this week was Teacher Appreciation Week. We got ice cream sundaes, hot drinks, posters around campus, and breakfast on different days. Some teachers got written notes from students in their mailboxes. My one?

In thinking back on your class, it was super easy. All I had to do was my work.That's all I ask. :D

Maradona
05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Our district has offered 12 days less (furloughed). We received nothing from administration last week. I had some former students from years ago email me to offer appreciation.

A shorter school year, no summer school, higher class sizes, all cost saving measures, yes, but whether they will be effective in the actual classroom boils down to the exact same question that exists today and has always been a key factor: What is the teacher going to do with the kids who are placed in the class? Send me 36 (the average now), 40, 50, whatever the number will be next fall and I will continue to strive to convince them their education is an important factor in the development of their lives and teach them skills to support it. Those that believe will work to better their lives. Those that don't, naturally won't. Like many of us, I will dedicate time to nudging the "won'ts" into "wills" despite their resistance. I will cringe when I consider how many "colleagues" scrounge by, apathetic, affecting little change in their students' lives. More cost saving measures will be proposed, implemented, criticized, tested, changed, reduced, increased, abandoned. Students will continue to enter classes needing to be taught. The school year will continue to fly through. This is my 10th year as an educator and I still wake up happy each morning. I'll do this as long as I can.

sith_killer_99
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Send me 36 (the average now), 40, 50, whatever the number will be next fall and I will continue to strive to convince them their education is an important factor in the development of their lives and teach them skills to support it. Those that believe will work to better their lives. Those that don't, naturally won't. Like many of us, I will dedicate time to nudging the "won'ts" into "wills" despite their resistance. I will cringe when I consider how many "colleagues" scrounge by, apathetic, affecting little change in their students' lives. More cost saving measures will be proposed, implemented, criticized, tested, changed, reduced, increased, abandoned. Students will continue to enter classes needing to be taught. The school year will continue to fly through. This is my 10th year as an educator and I still wake up happy each morning. I'll do this as long as I can.

That's awesome, we need teachers who care, they are the one's who make the difference in students lives. It's unfortunate that many do not realize the impact they have on their students (good and bad). All too often a teacher changes someone's life and never knows the end results.

I have had a handful of teachers over the years that have impacted my life in so many ways. I have tried to let them all know. Some are just too far gone from my life.

I remember a few years back when one of my former teachers passed away. My sister told me about it, and I bought a card for the family. Inside I inscribed my gratitude for all that he had meant to me as a teacher. I was surprised to find they read the inscription during his funeral.

Keep up the good work, never back down, the choices we make today will help to mold the future.

Maradona
05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Thank you very much for those kind words.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
That's awesome, we need teachers who care, they are the one's who make the difference in students lives.Wait, what? We teachers are supposed to care? We can have impacts on students' lives? I thought we were just information machines based on test data success and heartless rich ivory tower dwellers with golden retirement packages? :p :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
05-12-2011, 04:16 AM
... .and heartless rich ivory tower dwellers with golden retirement packages? :p :rolleyes:

That's why I married my wife :beard:

sith_killer_99
05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Wait, what? We teachers are supposed to care? We can have impacts on students' lives? I thought we were just information machines based on test data success and heartless rich ivory tower dwellers with golden retirement packages? :p :rolleyes:

I'm on the side of good teachers, they should get paid more than bad teachers and bad teachers should lose their jobs. It's just too bad those Unions won't support higher pay for better teachers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxc6kzH-uI&feature=related

Maradona
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
You mean paying everyone in a profession what the lowest common denominator amongst them is making doesn't make sense?

I'll sign up for merit based pay and work my tail off to earn it. But I think in addition to that, we need to make the assessments into something that has a value for students. If the student's grades, extracurricular activities, and/or college potential aren't tied to something, why would it matter to them. Testing, which I support, needs to be aligned with incentive not just for teachers, but for students as well. Once those two are married, I think a sharp rise in test scores will emerge. As it is now, they're not even really dating...

sith_killer_99
05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah, the problem is that you can not really judge someone's performance by the actions of another.

In the military we have an annual evaluation report that is written and submitted by our direct supervisors. I'm not sure that would work in the case of teachers, but there has to be a better system.

Merit based pay provides an added incentive for teachers to perform.

TeeEye7
05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
If only all students were created equal: same IQ, socio-economic background, same parental support, same financial support at the school's facilities throughout the nation....

Maybe then merit-based pay would work.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah, there would be a run on honors and AP courses, or at more affluent or parents/community-supported schools. The toughest job is a new teacher's classes, or any teacher in an environment without an emphasis on learning (notice I didn't put "testing" or "results" ). If you get a kid to love learning, or an 8th grader to improve from a 4th grade level to a 6th grade level, or make a 90-point testing jump (but the overall scores's not yet at "proficient" ), that's pretty darn effective. If merit just means "reach a standard level," I'm not in favor of that.

sith_killer_99
05-13-2011, 08:08 PM
(notice I didn't put "testing" or "results" ). If you get a kid to love learning, or an 8th grader to improve from a 4th grade level to a 6th grade level, or make a 90-point testing jump:confused:

Um, how do you determine if a student is at a 4th grade reading level, or that they have achieved a 6th grade reading level, or the 90 point jump, don't those involve testing? :confused:

I get what you are saying about meeting some arbitrary minimum standard, especially when you consider that a teacher may well be working to repair horrible damage done to some students as a result of poor previous teachers.

However, you bash testing then use test standards (4th grade reading level to 6th grade reading level, 90 point jump) to show how "pretty darn effective" a teacher can be.

The message is a bit confusing. I'm not trying to be difficult, there just seems to be a disconnect there.

Are you saying you would support testing so long as the merit is determined by improvements in test score (reading grade levels, 90 point jump, etc.) and not some arbitrary "proficient" standard? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-14-2011, 09:24 AM
:confused:
The message is a bit confusing. I'm not trying to be difficult, there just seems to be a disconnect there.

Are you saying you would support testing so long as the merit is determined by improvements in test score (reading grade levels, 90 point jump, etc.) and not some arbitrary "proficient" standard? :confused:Actually, it was to BE confusing, to show how difficult it would be to have a system, if it's different than what people already know and expect. It will never happen, but I'd support a sort of "apprentice" system where the individual needs of the student are met by tailoring the learning to their unique abilities. : pollyanna: That's ideal, but impossible with so many kids. So you get as close as you can.

To be truly honest, it was just frustration being typed out. I don't know... :(

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Offical end to the school year today, as my room was cleaned and packed up, keys returned, gradebook submitted, last "have a great summer" wishes given. This was a weird year; I'm not glad to see it end, but neither am I remembering much from it, either positive or negative.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Interesting, you end early down there. Our schools go into June a week or two, perhaps more if there are snow days to make up. I recall when I was in 1st and 2nd grade, we started a bit earlier and got out at the beginning of June. My family took a trip to California back then and my mom was saying that places like Disneyland weren't as crowded because most other schools weren't out yet. We did have to wait a long time to get into Space Mountain, but it was a new ride at the time (Wikipedia says it opened May 27, 1977, so it was less than two weeks after that when we were there.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the bad thing about starting the first or second week of August (this coming year it'll be on 8/9 ?!? :mad: ) is the heat to begin the year. But the nice thing is getting out BEFORE Memorial day weekend. :D I don't know how the threat of up to 20 less school days will affect start and end dates, but I'd sure take an extra week to this summer and start the year a week later. Southern California has no knowledge of these "snow days" of which you spoke. :p

BTW, I do know that Space Mountain opened in '77, but I couldn't tell you the exact date.

TeeEye7
06-26-2011, 01:32 PM
My house looks like it has exploded. Mrs. TI7 is taking inventory of her various supplies and other teaching materials for next year already. Boxes, containers, and stacks of stuff everywhere! I guess that's the difference between a primary and secondary teacher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think too many high school teachers have to take stock of their pipe cleaners, yarn, construction paper, glue, markers, popsicle sticks, beads, etc.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think too many high school teachers have to take stock of their pipe cleaners, yarn, construction paper, glue, markers, popsicle sticks, beads, etc.True I don't take inventory of said items, but they remain in my classroom behind the white board and once we get close to the next school year, I buy various items I think I'll need/want when the back-to-school sales come around (for me: washable markers, color pencils, packs of loose college rule lined paper, small handheld pencil sharpeners, #10 size envelopes). I know I need a new lesson plan book this year (they have enough pages for two total years).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
My house looks like it has exploded. Mrs. TI7 is taking inventory of her various supplies and other teaching materials for next year already. Boxes, containers, and stacks of stuff everywhere! I guess that's the difference between a primary and secondary teacher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think too many high school teachers have to take stock of their pipe cleaners, yarn, construction paper, glue, markers, popsicle sticks, beads, etc.

Funny that you mentioned that, because in our district, in a cost-cutting move, all 5th grade teachers (of which I am) were moved to one of our 2 middle schools, and that middle school was "repurposed" as an intermediate school with all district 5th and 6th grades being housed there.

A fellow movee from my elementary school told me to stock up on those items from our supply room, or more likely, from our own inventory, since the supply room at the new school is non-existent of those items (since when did middle school teachers need construction paper, tissue paper, etc. the items that TeeEye mentioned). It will be a real eye opener for us, but more so for the 6th grade teachers who have to teach all subjects now as opposed to the 2 or 3 they were used to teaching.

Maradona
07-09-2011, 10:28 AM
(since when did middle school teachers need ... tissue paper, etc. the items that TeeEye mentioned).

Tissue paper goes faster than any other supply in my classroom. As soon as a box is put out, every kid seems to need to use 3-4 sheets at a time.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Tissue paper goes faster than any other supply in my classroom. As soon as a box is put out, every kid seems to need to use 3-4 sheets at a time.That's why I use toilet paper (a former colleague suggested that) instead, because there's a stigma to using it, so students take less of it. Plus, I give the piece(s) to them, instead of leaving the box out (I go through about 8-12 rolls a school year, costing about $2-4 total) for them to pull and pull and pull...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I visited my old room at my elementary school this past Tuesday to finish moving and I made sure I stuffed a few bags full of construction paper, white composition paper, and of course tissue paper. I don't feel guilty about doing it since I was in that school for 6 years, it seems we rarely put a dent in the amount of paper in the store room. Besides, the paper will be put to good use.

Toilet paper does sound like a good idea, but what sounds even better is limiting the amount of supply as BCJ stated. Or even better, forget doing arts and crafts since students "aren't tested on it." :laugh:

TeeEye7
07-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks to the Dollar Store, my house now looks like we're a time capsule repository for art supplies with all the clear plastic shoe boxes Mrs. TI bought. Don't really want to get into the Mother of All Ziplock Bags stacked on the living room floor....

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Toilet paper does sound like a good idea, but what sounds even better is limiting the amount of supply as BCJ stated. Or even better, forget doing arts and crafts since students "aren't tested on it." :laugh:Other "hidden items" in my classroom include the tape dispenser (after a brief let's-tape-anything-and-everything phase), paper towels, paper clips, hand sanitizer, calculator, back-up handheld pencil sharpeners and staplers. And keep in mind, I teach high schoolers. :eek: I can't imagine the touchy-takey of elementary kids.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Next week is last-before-school-starts. Yay?

The freshmen orientation day was Thu. of this week. Got an email warning us, then another thanking us for letting (as if there was a choice :p ) them us the rooms and apologizing if things weren't properly put back. I can easily move a desk or chair back, but keep the sticky half-eaten candy and popped balloons off the floor and erase your writing from the board, please. :mad: Sigh... :doUntoOthers:

TeeEye7
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Mrs. TI7 is ramping up for the next school year. Time for me online is at a premium. The house looks like a school supply store exploded in the living room. She gets to dive head first into her class room next Monday to start setting up for her next crop of third graders. Stress levels in the house are rising....

TeeEye7
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Today is Mrs. TI7's first day of the new school year with kids. Last week was spent with meetings and setting up her classroom. Last night was the traditional 11th hour chores before the first day.

We live just around the corner from her school and our street was filled with overflow parking with parents taking their kiddies to their first day. My dogs barked for about two hours straight from hearing all the car doors slamming shut (good little watch dogs are they!). All is quiet now.

Here's wishing another good year to my wife (this is year #15 since she changed careers) and her students! Here's hoping all knock it out of the park with Star Testing like last year!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Good for Mrs. Tee Eye.

Being a career changer, how long does she plan on teaching? Most teachers who are hired out of college put 30 years in here in NYS, while career changers all have different benchmarks to reach, depending on the age they hire.

Also, there is an initiative in our area to have Dad's bring their kid to school on the first day of school. This is part of the idea to get father's to take an active part of their child's education. Apparently it has been featured in big cities for the past few years with a lot of participation on the first day.

TeeEye7
08-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Good for Mrs. Tee Eye.

Being a career changer, how long does she plan on teaching?

This is just a guess on my part but I think she has at least five but maybe as much as ten years more to go in her career. Politics (NCLB) and other drama might have an effect on that, though. I wouldn't blame her for walking away given an experience last year. I may have posted this already but she got in trouble with her administration for teaching. She had the AUDACITY to teach her kids a concept with a book outside of the current curriculum. The kids didn't get it, so she used a source that was always successful. The administration caught wind of it and she got in trouble for it. BTW: the kids understood the concept with the other resource rather than the current "approved" piece of trash. If the politicians would stay out of it, I think we'd be graduating smart, prepared kids again.

I like the Dad's initiative. I was extremely active with my son from K-6. Back then, I worked 10 hour shifts and had three days off (I worked week ends then). At least one day a week and frequently three days were spent at school in my son's classroom. We were a lucky family in that his school was also the school site in which my wife works. Because of my weird schedule, I was able to spend time with both of them. Oh, the days of reading groups and cafeteria lunches with Mrs. TI7!

Maradona
08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I've got two more weeks of vacation before school starts here in LA. I've been meeting with the journalism class kids since last week, though, so we can have a paper out for the first day of school. When I was asked to teach the journalism class last summer, one of the first things I encouraged the students to do was create an issue of the paper for the first of class. The kids were motivated enough to come in during their vacation and work on it. The same has happened this summer. High school kids often get a reputation for not achieving, well-deserved in many cases, but there are also kids who refuse that distinction and can work wonders when they want to.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I want to keep a positive attitude; I really do. But it's getting harder this year, and it's only three weeks in. I am very concerned. :sad: Not only for my own mental well-being, but the learning for the kids. "New" ain't always "improved," and too much/too soon with little heads-up is a dangerous combination. But I am enjoying the in-class work and lessons and students much more than in previous years. :silverlining: :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
My wife finally got a long term sub job. She loved it but it kind of makes her depressed. She just turned 30 this year and has only had one teaching job since graduating with a masters and yet she is the oldest teacher at her new school.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-19-2011, 04:41 PM
My wife finally got a long term sub job. She loved it but it kind of makes her depressed. She just turned 30 this year and has only had one teaching job since graduating with a masters and yet she is the oldest teacher at her new school.

Sucks to hear, but a long term substitute position is a stepping stone to perhaps a permanent position. I received my current job after finishing a long term position in a middle school, this after subbing 2 years prior.

Best of luck to your wife.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Ditto to LBC's comments. I subbed while going through my credential program (about 2 years), got called to do a week-long sub job, which has turned into a 329-week job at the same place. Fingers crossed! :thumbsup: And thumbs up!

Darth Metalmute
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the wishes, but at least in this case, it's not possible. She is only qualified for the dreaded K-3 degree and she is subbing in a junior high. She is hoping to get another endorsement qualification to over-ride that.

TeeEye7
09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the wishes, but at least in this case, it's not possible. She is only qualified for the dreaded K-3 degree and she is subbing in a junior high. She is hoping to get another endorsement qualification to over-ride that.

What grade is she hoping to teach? (BTW: my wife has taught 3rd grade for 16 years and counting...).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I got a possible job offer at an elementary school (with a good academic and collegial reputation) many a year ago, but without a multiple subject credential, it wasn't going to happen.

Darth Metalmute
09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
What grade is she hoping to teach? (BTW: my wife has taught 3rd grade for 16 years and counting...).

She loves teaching kindergardeners, of course who doesn't.

She taught third grade for a year at a Charter school and quit. Her class was the most undisciplined children I have ever seen. They threw desks, chairs, broke into her locked drawers and stole her money, everything. She wrote them up after every incident but her dean just sent them back, unpunished. About midway through the year, after a sparkling review for the first half, the principal and dean ganged up on her about the safety of the children. Between their threats and her health failing due to the stress, she quit.

The school is known for teachers quiting. they typically have 10-20 open positions a year from teachers not being able to deal with the students without the support of the administration. Yet enrollment is up and the principal, who formerly was a secratary, stays on board.

TeeEye7
09-23-2011, 04:02 PM
That's a shame when the administration turns on their teachers. My wife had a "lack of faith" incident with her administration last year. There was no merit behind it...they just like to make "projects" out of teachers from year to year. Last year was my wife's turn.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2011, 09:06 PM
She loves teaching kindergardeners, of course who doesn't.Uh... [puts own hand up]

I realized early on that the littluns weren't my caseload. Apparently I prefer a different form of neediness and out-of-control behavior. :pleased:

sith_killer_99
09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Uh... [puts own hand up]

I realized early on that the littluns weren't my caseload. Apparently I prefer a different form of neediness and out-of-control behavior. :pleased:

:laugh:

I've been looking into teaching, the Army has the Troops to Teachers program. They work to place you in a teaching position when you transition out of the military.

The only problem is, I plan to retire in Colorado and the salary for a teacher in pretty low.

I can make more money if I stay in Medical Maintenance and focus on digital imaging (X-Ray, CT, MRI, etc.). I just got certified in PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) which is basically a networked computer system that allows doctors to view X-Ray, CT's, MRI's, etc. from remote workstations. So a doctor in New York can read and diagnose patients in California.

I'm torn between my desire to teach and my desire to provide a little more for my family. :(

TeeEye7
09-24-2011, 02:55 AM
...and the salary for a teacher in pretty low.

That's pretty much the norm, sir. Take the salary, divide the number of hours actually put into the job and it equals somewhere below minimum wage.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2011, 08:35 AM
It used to be, the pay wasn't often equivalent to the time and effort put in (please don't "do the math," as it usually causes weeping and gnashing of teeth :p ); but the fringe benefits, relationships and connections, and sense of satisfaction easily outweighed that. Now, the stress of test results, micromanaging, and the dreaded "accountability" (as if no teacher or student was ever held accountable before) expectation is making some (I'll admit, somedays even myself) reconsider that ratio. But, if you have that drive, and that desire, and that dedication to do what's right and make a difference, there's virtually no paid (read: parents) occupation that comes close to fulfilling those things. So, go for it! :thumbsup:

For me, that ratio is always over the 50% mark to be that positive role model (and often much higher, like this week has been). Whenever it slips below that, and seems to stay there, I'll know it's time. :(

TeeEye7
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I know my wife would agree with BCJ 100%!

...and BTW my occupation also fulfills the criteria listed above...

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I know my wife would agree with BCJ 100%!

...and BTW my occupation also fulfills the criteria listed above...Wait a minute, you get PAID for all that? I just thought you were posting about your hobby with the locals. ;)

JimJamBonds
09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
...if I stay in Medical Maintenance...Are you 2-1B? ;) Do you take care of Sir's? :gorilla:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Bipolar teaching lately: great days where there's a blend of fun, serious work, and learning; others where you wonder how anyone will come out alive and functioning in the real world; yet more when the clock seems to sprint by or drag its hands across its face. I want to cry at times, yell at others, cheer in more, or chuckle in some. Much less stable emotions in me and my students recently, and I don't think it's just excitement for Halloween (this is more than that energy usually is). :D :( :pleased: :cry: :confused: :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm not normally a "mental health day" kind of person (I was raised in the era of "tough it out" when things get rough), but I really needed to take a couple days away from school. Today was the first one. It's helped. Some.

Maradona
11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
A four-day weekend follows a three-day week next week. Then, it's only 15 days of school, before a 23 day break. These numbers apply to LAUSD, at least. The point being, we're close to half done with the school year. Second semester will be hectic for me, at least, since the good ole' folks from WASC beckon...

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Second semester will be hectic for me, at least, since the good ole' folks from WASC beckon...Ah, WASC. We're in between visits (we got a 6-year with a 3-year check, and are two years from that 6-year period ending) right now.

JimJamBonds
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
... the pay wasn't often equivalent to the time and effort put in (please don't "do the math," as it usually causes weeping and gnashing of teeth :p )

While not a teacher I'd suggest not "doing the math" if you are paid a set amount reguardless of the job...it can be scary!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm not normally a "mental health day" kind of person (I was raised in the era of "tough it out" when things get rough), but I really needed to take a couple days away from school. Today was the first one. It's helped. Some.

I am not a mental health day person myself as well as I feel there are enough of them built into the school year calendar. However, a lot does depend on the class that you teach that year and of course, your personal life. The past two school years I have not needed to take any personal days, however, back a few years, I had the future season 36 of America's Most Wanted and personal turmoil in my life, I needed to take a few days off, moreso for my psyche than anything.

TeeEye7
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
My wife spent the better part of Thanksgiving vacation with other colleagues writing (or maybe better said re-applying) for the California Distinguished Schools Program certification for her school site. It's a process that normally takes 6-8 weeks to complete. Her (clueless) principal said the application process was "a piece of cake". They were handed this task a little over a week ago. That guy would fit in nicely in Washington, DC.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Are you sure the principal didn't say he wanted a piece of cake for suggesting it?

I'm trying to start a scholarship program based on funds collected from recycling, and so far it's been positive, but early in the process.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm trying to start a scholarship program based on funds collected from recycling, and so far it's been positive, but early in the process.It should be official once we return from the break. I just need to write up the specifics. :thumbsup:

Finals start tomorrow, and will be done by Wed.; the best part? We don't have to submit grades until a day after we return from break! Winter break rocks for even more reasons now! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a student who sounds (and, now that I think of it, looks somewhat) a lot like Jake Lloyd. Is it wrong that I want him to say "an exspecially dangerous Dug" sometime in class? :rolleyes:

Spring Break starts today! :D Woo hoo! :thumbsup: And... it's raining in SoCal? :confused:

TeeEye7
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
My wife spent the better part of Thanksgiving vacation with other colleagues writing (or maybe better said re-applying) for the California Distinguished Schools Program certification for her school site. It's a process that normally takes 6-8 weeks to complete. Her (clueless) principal said the application process was "a piece of cake". They were handed this task a little over a week ago. That guy would fit in nicely in Washington, DC.

The on-site walk-thru took place last Wednesday. My wife has the feeling that her school is the one the committee is looking for....

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Disappointing results... depressing results. :( :sad: Of the eight students who re-took the HSEE, only one passed. That's bad, :cry: But worse, only three of them even improved on their previous score. :cry: :( What did I do that DROPPED their numbers? :confused: :( What I thought I didn't cover as well, the written portion, did improve for all of them, :thumbsup: but I thought I did better in the multiple choice areas. :confused: And three of those are seniors this year :( (with only one more try in May left).

sith_killer_99
03-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Disappointing results... depressing results. :( :sad: Of the eight students who re-took the HSEE, only one passed. That's bad, :cry: But worse, only three of them even improved on their previous score. :cry: :( What did I do that DROPPED their numbers? :confused: :( What I thought I didn't cover as well, the written portion, did improve for all of them, :thumbsup: but I thought I did better in the multiple choice areas. :confused: And three of those are seniors this year :( (with only one more try in May left).

Some people really just don't test well. We have one like that knows the job well, better than most. Took the certification test and failed while lesser skilled people passed.

Maradona
03-31-2012, 07:05 PM

That you even care enough to post your disappointment shows you are passionately connected to your profession. Some students just have difficulty testing, even on a very basic test like the CAHSEE - which I've always thought should be the high school ENTRANCE, not exit, exam. But sometimes necessity breeds invention, so May might force some of these kids to rise to the occasion.

TeeEye7
03-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Yay! My wife's school site was honored with California Distinguished School status (again!)!

I'm very proud of her because she's always been one tasked with the application process...and it ain't easy!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
It ain't easy being... blue. Ribbon-worthy. Congrats! :D

I had two Star Wars-related references today: for a poem assignment about symbolic words relating to future dreams/goals, one student wrote his (off-topic from the prompt, unfortunately) on ANH plotlines (fun to read), while another used the phrase "delusions of grandeur." Now, if only they worked faster, more intense, in 3-D! ;)

JetsAndHeels
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
It must be nice to have students that work. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Today's the last furlough day of the school year; we're supposed to have our superintendant visit our site this Friday, which will tell us the expectations for next school year. Seven days have been dropped off the school year over the past 3-4 years; it could be up to twelve for '12-'13. :cry:

A.J.
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
My apologies if I'm overstepping... a friend recently lost her child to cyberbullying. My company launched a Kickstarter campaign to address this issue with kids. We'd appreciate any help to spread the word via twitter, facebook, etc. Thanks! http://kck.st/JrF925

AJ

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Today is the California's Day of the Teacher. Thank your local one! Responsibly, of course. (is it also such a day in other states?)

TeeEye7
05-10-2012, 02:46 AM
:applouse: Yay! My wife was named Teacher of the Year at her school site! :applouse:

I'm very proud of her! :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
That is awesome! Like, TOTALLY awesome! Congrats! :D

TeeEye7
05-11-2012, 03:33 PM
That is awesome! Like, TOTALLY awesome! Congrats! :D

Thanks BCJ! It's nice to see her colleagues have appreciated all her work throughout the years when putting together the application for California Distinguished Schools (her school has been so honored for about 15 years or so....she's always been part of the process). It's also nice to see that her colleagues haven't held it against her that her third grade class has always taken school spelling bee honors (usually first place; but always in the top three places) since she began teaching! Most of all, she's had some of the tougher classes and seems to be able to turn the kids around year after year. It ain't always easy teaching at a magnate school!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2012, 09:21 AM
We said goodbye to a few long-time colleagues yesterday: the longest-tenured member of the district (42 years :eek: ) who's retiring from the drama dept., our principal who's taking on a new district-wide position, two teacher's who've been a part of the school since its opening a decade ago and a decade prior to that, plus a few recent hires that budgetary woes have affected. :( And Mr. Bel-Cam got his 10-year pin! :thumbsup: With that "real" diamond on it, I can sell it, retire, and live like a king! A Sacramento Kings peanut concessions worker, that it. :rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
05-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Congrats on your milestone BCJ, and congrats to Mrs. TeeEye7!!

Well, the school year is rounding the last stretch, and the finish line is in sight. Who else is as tired as I am?

Maradona
05-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on your milestones, teachers.

Four weeks left for the end of the school year at my school. This is our short summer, since we start the year in mid-August this year (ending in May). It doesn't bother me because I think this is the better model for students to be on in high school - more prep time for APs & CSTs, apart from the fact that so many universities operate under an August to May calendar already. It will be an adjustment, though, learning to teach in the August heat.

TeeEye7
05-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Congrats on your milestone BCJ, and congrats to Mrs. TeeEye7!!

Well, the school year is rounding the last stretch, and the finish line is in sight. Who else is as tired as I am?

Thank you on her tired behalf! (And does she ever have that end-of-the-year-look!).

sith_killer_99
05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Is it a blood diamond? :Pirate:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Blood-from-a-stone metaphoric diamond, sure. :cool:

If I didn't have all my grading done now, I'd be even more exhausted. I'll have plenty of finals to console me this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I am officially on summer; as I finished cleaning up, boxing up, and packing up my classroom. Turned in my keys, got my paperwork signed off, said my bye-byes. After a really rough start, this year ended pretty decently.

Sadly, no student ended up with 1,138 total points earned in the semester. :(

TeeEye7
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
I would expect this to be a more likely event to happen at my wife's campus since we're on the east end of town (closer to the foothills and river canyon), rather than a school site that's significantly "in town". Crazy! What a way to end the school year!

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x243435275/Bear-caught-at-Bakersfield-elementary-school-during-graduation

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2012, 05:52 PM
We get frequent notices about rattlesnakes in the spring, since there's a big open area north of the school grounds. And there have been news reports of bears or cougars (interesting, since those are the mascots of local schools) wandering into pools, backyards, gardens, etc. CA isn't as urbanized as people think.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Classroom is almost set up, except that now I am teaching a grade level different than the last preliminary schedule (now I've had four different classloads since the end of last school year). Check out the door sign (yes, I teach English, not science, but we mix our cross-curricular studies a bit at a time), even with the "wrong" grade level. Guess now I have a variant MOC!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Two periods today were literally SRO, as I had four more students than seats (they shared my teacher desk, the bookshelf with the pencil sharpener, and another student's desk) and as many as seven standing along the wall (until I realized six were in the wrong room due to late schedule changes). But a good first day aside from that. And the 104 degrees outside (just over 80 indoors).

Maradona
08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Was told by second year administrator yesterday: "Your film class is getting very popular." Me: "Oh? How many have you enrolled?" Admin: "We're at 41 so far." Me: "I only have 36 desks in my classroom and no room for more." Admin: "That's a facilities problem, not mine. If you would just move to another classroom, we could add more students to your class."

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday's first day of class and the challenge of this transitional school year (we start a month early for the first time), but I have no desire to see that admin again. At all.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Hey; like minds "think" alike! I have a class with 43 (according to the computer, but 44 in actuality) students, now 42 desks. I was at 37 desks yesterday, so they are trying to help. Students shared my teacher desk, the pencil sharpener bookshelf, and a chair next to another student's desk. We're hoping for another section to be opened, or :fingerscrossed: one more teacher re-hired (yes, they let a position go instead of replacing him, so those 150-some students have been spread out through the remaining classes).

TeeEye7
08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Just returned from spending the afternoon helping Mrs. TI7 set up her classroom for the next year. I think this is the 17th year I've been doing that. I was also informed of my chores for further set up this week end. School starts August 20th.

I spent the morning setting up my own class for the Academy for tomorrow and Friday. We be a teachin' kind of fambly!

TeeEye7
08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Finished! Ready for the onslaught tomorrow!

To those teachers who have already begun their school year and those yet to start: Good luck! Here's hoping you have a great year!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I love all these Back to School sales and news reports this weekend; we've already been back for 2 weeks, including Back to School Night. :rolleyes: And there's supposed to be days with highs in the 80s later this week. Yay, working a/c! :thumbsup: First time I've had the whole week's lessons planned, since I know how many students I'll have and what resources are available to use. :pleased: Good times so far.

TeeEye7
08-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Mrs. TI7 reports that her first day back with a class full of kids was a good one!

Let's hope the other 179 days are just as good! :fingerscrossed:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Wow; a 180-day school year. I remember those...

I had my second first-day-of-school today for my new junior English class. Nice? Smaller classloads. :thumbsup: Not so nice? We (read: the teachers, not those who staff) knew this was the case before summer ended, but had to wait until two weeks in to make changes. :( Still, they did get done. And the new kids are a good group... after one day, of course. I now have three students I've had for three straight years of HS English; weird.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Conversation overheard in Barnes & Noble today: "On the wall of his classroom, he has this poster of Anakin, and it says 'foreshadowing,' but his shadow looks like Darth Vader... hey, that's my teacher there!"

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Conversation in my classroom yesterday:

Student: "Why did I get a '4' on this [10-point] assignment?"
Me: "Because this was almost word-for-word the same as other student's."
Student: "Yeah, I worked on it with another person."
Me: "But you still have to do your own work. I'm not going to figure out who copied, so I split the points in half between the two."
Student: "Even on a little assignment like this?"
Me: "I could've given you both a '0.' It's still plagiarism."
Student: "Oh. So, that's the way it's gonna be."
Me [in my head] : "LOL!! LOL!!" (and I had to cover my mouth a couple times in class to keep my laughing smile covered up :pleased: )

JimJamBonds
09-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow; a 180-day school year. I remember those...

How many days do you have?

Maradona
09-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Conversation in my classroom yesterday:

Student: "Why did I get a '4' on this [10-point] assignment?"
Me: "Because this was almost word-for-word the same as other student's."
Student: "Yeah, I worked on it with another person."
Me: "But you still have to do your own work. I'm not going to figure out who copied, so I split the points in half between the two."
Student: "Even on a little assignment like this?"
Me: "I could've given you both a '0.' It's still plagiarism."
Student: "Oh. So, that's the way it's gonna be."
Me [in my head] : "LOL!! LOL!!" (and I had to cover my mouth a couple times in class to keep my laughing smile covered up :pleased: )

You were generous. They both would have gotten a zero for that nonsense in my class.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Usually the first time is enough to discourage a second one. If so, I go the zero route.

And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov. :(

Maradona
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Yes, I think our last day would be May. 15 if the prop fails to pass.

JimJamBonds
09-10-2012, 09:27 PM
And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov. :(For whatever reason I was thinking it'd be more not less days, another 1-3 weeks would be huge.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-21-2012, 09:44 PM
In what other profession (aside from comics or trivia) can a person reference Mr. Mxyzptlk and have it be relevant? :) Teaching has its bad days, but it rocks most of the time!

sith_killer_99
09-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Well, I reported to Fort Sam Houston on the 10th of August for "Instructor Duty".

I've spent the last few weeks in school, getting certified and earning my Instructor badge. I have to sit through a few courses then test with a 90% in order to certify on the course. After that I will be reviewed and I still have a few prerequisites to knock out (I have to complete everything within 1 year).

The course is accredited, so the requirements are pretty high. The Air Force tracks all our training and hours in a system they call "STARS". Which is good because once I reach a certain level I can simply apply for my teaching certificate and I will be good to go.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to instructing/teaching. Three years of this, I should be able to decide if I want to teach as a career when I retire. If so, this will work out great since I retire in three years. It should be a smooth transition.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Great to hear, sk_99! Any possibility that a certain author of objectivism will squeeze into your curriculum somehow?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
We have a window! :D Last year, the powers-that-be finally decided that the inconvenience of having to unlock the staff room door every time outweighed the damage and theft of property inside said room. Today, we got a window put in that very door, so we don't have to guess if someone is behind it or open it uber-cautiously. Quickly installed, too (started after school began, done before lunch was over). I didn't see or hear, but they did not seem to have replaced the door, but inserted the window (and added the frame).

TeeEye7
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
It's parent-teacher conference week for my wife. So far, she's had about a 75% no-show of parents. She called one no-show parent with whom she really needed to speak, and the parent hung up on her right after she identified herself.

More dumbing-down of America....

Maradona
11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm shocked that Prop. 30 passed here in California. I guess winter break will go back to three weeks this year, where it had been rumored to go to five weeks.

El Chuxter
11-07-2012, 08:07 AM
It would've been an easier sell if someone had pointed out the cost of childcare for three weeks vs the average increase in sales taxes for a family.

I was pooping bricks looking at the early returns. It not passing would've meant serious cutbacks here (no toys and very few comics for quite some time :(), and we even know some teachers at our church who would've been in danger of losing their homes.

Maradona
11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
It would definitely have been an adjustment for students, parents, and teachers.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Yesterday ended final exams; but now I have to grade the darn things (only done with 1 1/2 classes, with 3 1/2 left to go, but I can submit grades as late as the week we return from winter break). So close on some final student point totals of 1138 (they're all over that amount, so I couldn't even boost a score up a couple to reach it... not that I'd ever do that, even to reach that magical mark).

TeeEye7
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
In my house, it is MORE than evident that school resumes tomorrow....

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I've been doing little bits to prepare over the past few days; I think I'm ready for semester two tomorrow.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Our school resumed last Wednesday. It is a lot easier going back to a 3 day week than to a 5. I hope you guys enjoyed your break.

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
I've brought this thread back to the top in order to get some things off my chest.

Sometimes I enjoy being a teacher. I feel like I am helping young people by giving them knowledge and trying to teach them life skills. It can be very rewarding when this happens.

Other times I wonder why I even got into this profession. Some students try their best to do everything they can to avoid work, responsibility, and common decency. Note that I said some students, not all. Also keep in mind that I teach at an alternative school, but we do have some good kids who really do put forth an effort.

Today is one of those days where I am left wondering why I even bother. In my 8th grade North Carolina history class, I put a straight-forward activity on the board. It goes like this:

Imagine that you are the governor of North Carolina. The people of your state are depending on you to help them with certain problems. These problems are:

-Problems in public schools (violence, lack of money for books, computers, etc.)
-Crime and punishment (violent crimes have increased in the last 10 years, such as murder and robbery)
-Unemployment and poverty (how do we get people back to work and break the cycle of poverty)

All they had to do was write 2 sentences for each issue (a total of 6 sentences) and tell what they would do to try to fix the problem.

After the first 10-15 minutes of initial complaining and bellyaching, I had 2 students put their heads down and refuse to work (they got written up by me) and 2 others who said they didn't care and wrote down completely idiotic responses (and they will receive a zero for their grade).

I apologize for the long post and the long rant, but I get discouraged when I do all I can to get kids involved and get them to use critical thinking skills and all I get in return is a struggle. I also get enraged when I think about the fact that the state is holding ME responsible for test scores and performance, when they refuse to even try or listen.

TeeEye7
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
You're not alone, J&H.

My wife goes through the same scenario weekly with her third grade class. She teaches at a magnet school which brings in lower-economic students. Some are great, others don't care just like in your class. She, too, is enraged by the fact that she is held responsible for their performance by inept legislators who can't even keep their own house in order. It's easier to set up a scapegoat than to realize that they are the root of the problem.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
This very issue came up in lunchtime discussion. The pull-your-face-down-with-your-hands feeling comes over me every so often. :( I have run into similar students (using that term loosely), but what's worse is when the parents don't care. THAT is when I have my doubts and depressions. Focus on those successes you DO have, J&H; they are what get you through it. :thumbsup:

Maradona
02-20-2013, 01:37 AM
J&H, the situation you mentioned is exactly the kind that non-teachers will never understand, legislators will never take into account, and the public will never fully appreciate. We go through a lot and you certainly did today. I have a theory as to why this lack of student care seems to be on the rise: AMBITION. There is no class that teaches it and there are too many homes that don't promote it to their children. "If all I need to be happy is a video game or social networking site and I already have that now" or "If my parents get by with mediocre or no jobs," then "why should I care about my education?" Squeaking by has become such a difficult temptation to resist for so many students. There's a fun text on this subject called The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlin. I assign it as independent reading during my non-fiction unit in the 11th grade. You're fighting the good fight, sir. Carry on!

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it.

Just a few moments ago I had to get on a student for profanity. She used the f-word 3 times in one sentence. Her reply to me was "my own mama don't tell me how to talk, so nobody here at this school will either." She pretty much hit the nail on the head in her response: there is no one at home to teach right from wrong. In fact, the "parent(s)" are doing the exact same thing. As long as this continues, we as educators will never gain any ground.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
That is the hardest thing to combat, the apathy that permeates today's students. It seems more prevalent as the years and classes go by. It is easy and expected at times to just give in and say, "What do I care?" when no one else does. As BCJ said, focus on the ones who do appreciate coming to school, the stability they do get in coming to school, the education, or else be driven to drink.

My class from hades I had back in 2009 nearly caused me to do just that, become an alcoholic (okay so I exaggerate) but it was not easy coming to work everyday when literally every day I wanted to ram my head against the wall. I don't know your teaching situation (it seems like you will always get these type of kids?) but hang in there and focus again on those who do make your job worth coming to.

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't know your teaching situation (it seems like you will always get these type of kids?) but hang in there and focus again on those who do make your job worth coming to.

Kids that have emotional or behavioral problems are often referred to this school when they can no longer handle the regular environment. We get the kids who need something different. Like I mentioned earlier, there are good ones and bad (like at any school).

There was a girl here last year who was a senior in high school. She was very nice and was well known since she was on the varsity girls softball team. She needed a civics credit to graduate. Her class was online, but she needed extra help with a face-to-face teacher. Everyday on my planning period I took time to help her. She passed with an A and graduated. She wrote me a thank you letter and made a poster for my room. When I get discouraged, I think of students like her who achieved success and made the effort. That is the reward in teaching.

I just wish those situations happened more often!!

TeeEye7
02-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Great story, J&H!

Just remember, like my job, we'll only win a few battles and never the war....but those battles can reap great results as you know!

JimJamBonds
02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
While I'm not a teacher I do interact with students in the sports I coach. In the fall I coach cross country at a small local college and in the spring I coach track where I went to high school. Although my time at those schools is rather limited I know the 'head against the wall' feeling. Some go along with you from the get go and with some its a battle (relatively speaking). But in the end seeing the kids have fun and get better is why I'm there and why I enjoy doing what I do.

JetsAndHeels
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Great story, J&H!

Just remember, like my job, we'll only win a few battles and never the war....but those battles can reap great results as you know!

Right on!! Thanks for the encouragement.

I am so glad the weekend is upon us!!

TeeEye7
02-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Let me take this a little further:

In spite of the lunacy of administrators and legislators, my wife's passion for teaching is still strong. Some of her first kiddoes she taught are now starting college and were so inspired by her enthusiasm that they, too, are embarking on a teaching career as well. It is so satisfying to hear this when we are stopped at a store by an ex-student and hear stories of how my wife has been a focal point in their lives. It may only be a handful of students, but they help keep the fires lit for education and the way it should be taught.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I was in a 5 Guys Burgers (purely for the school fundraiser there that night, of course :rolleyes: ) and a former student came up to introduce himself. I told me he wasn't very good in English (the subject I teach) but that he did appreciate my class. He's trying to save up money for a move East, and is considering teaching as a career (instead of art; but I mentioned he should continue the art as a hobby or side activity so he might still get to do something with it later). Nice to hear.

JetsAndHeels
02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Well, I have reached the point where I am ready for a change.

I tried, I really did.

Teaching just isn't for me.

After 7 years of it I can say that I'm just not teacher material.

I will find something else, and hopefully someone with more love and heart for this job will take my place.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
J&H, I have written two letters of resignation (one even making it to the printed-out and sealed in an envelope stage) over my 10+ years of teaching. The year 2005 has been supressed in my memories for all the junk that happened to me, school-related, plus all the other junk not related to my job. I have also taken days off where I seriously considered leaving and needed the heal-my-brain time away. Co-workers saw me and asked "what happened to you?" So I know the frustrations of a job that has you pulled in so many directions, that even Stretch Armstrong would reach his limits; parents, students, your own family, the community, budgets, classroom materials, media reports, education "experts," test data, fund raisers, etc. I don't want to tell you what to do (that's so like a teacher, Bel-Cam... :rolleyes: ), but if you can make it through this school year, see if the summer off has any positive effects on you. Or find a Writing Project based near you and see if there are openings for their institute; that has reinvigorated several of my colleagues over the years. Think nothing about teaching for a month or so. Travel, read, paint, go to a Gwar concert. Just some recommendatiosn.

But I feel for you. :) :thumbsup: Keep your head up!

p.s. Out school is going through its WASC accreditation next week. I get to come in on Sunday and stay after school later Mon. - Wed. Hooray! :p

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Bel-Cam Jos, thank you for the advice. My strategy is basically what you mentioned..I am in "survival mode", or "just make it to June" mode as I call it right now. I have decided that this will probably be my last year here, and perhaps for teaching altogether. What I posted yesterday was the culmination of things over time, not based on one single event. The thing that has bothered me most has been the amount of exhaustion I have felt. It's not a physical tired, it's an emotional and mental type of tired. It's the kind of tired where when you get home all you want to do is lay down and not go anywhere or see anyone. It's the kind of tired where you have spent 7+ hours a day dealing with yelling, screaming, overactive kids who seem to not care at all.

And I hear you on taking "mental health" days off, BCJ. I feel one of those coming on soon.

Maradona
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
J&H, your plight is all our plights. Stay strong.

p.s. Out school is going through its WASC accreditation next week. I get to come in on Sunday and stay after school later Mon. - Wed. Hooray! :p

WASC will be at my campus two weeks later. I'm so tired of hearing about it.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Survived day one of WASC! Only two more to go. This month has:
- freshman, sophomore, junior registration for next year
- WASC visit
- high school exit exam days (plus admin "pep talks," and my snacks giveaway)
- two furlough days off
- spring break
- Distinguished School visit
- junior EAP college test
- Mr. [mascot] competition
- talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.

Maradona
03-05-2013, 07:31 AM
- WASC visit
- two furlough days off
- spring break
- talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.

We've got WASC, CAHSEE, EAP, SAT prep, talent/variety show, spring carnival/fair, academic pep rally, ASB elections, Prom court elections, parent conference night, spring drama shows, and spring break. An intense month indeed...

Bel-Cam Jos
03-05-2013, 08:01 AM
And I neglected to add that the grading quarter ends in two days; get those grades entered and recorded.

TeeEye7
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
I've noticed today that my wife has that "thousand yard stare" going. I wondered why until I realized that Spring Break is just a week away for her....

She's on cruise control.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
More added to this month, that I forgot: talent show, food fair, and I got my (surprise! ) classroom observation, on a day I was giving the sophomores a "break" the day after their math part of the Exit Exam, with a less-stringent lesson. Uh, not too good. :(

Maradona
03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Just came back from the WASC visitation opening meeting. Going in on a Sunday is not fun. Now for three more days of visits and meetings before we have parent conference night/talent show/food truck festival/carnival on Thursday and the academic pep rally on Friday. Sprinkle in the school play tomorrow afternoon and a Shakey's night fundraiser on Friday and my week will vanish before Saturday begins the ten day bliss of spring break.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Maradona, your school is doing almost EXACTLY what ours did! Your posts have reminded me what we had on the schedule in March: I need to add more (two restaurant fundraisers, three nights of a play). We had a furlough day right after WASC was here, then a full week (with the HSEE taking most of the attention), and now it's the break. Heart rate... returning to normal. But I still have grading to get to at some point this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Add MORE events in March: 8th grade parent night, Relay for Life night.

BTW, my classroom observation review was pretty good; only one relatively-minor recommendation. :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I had the students write as a "sponge" activity (a.k.a. bell work, opener, warm-up, intro. lesson, activation of prior knowledge, etc.) what is the corniest or silliest joke(s) they'd heard before. Reason? To introduce the turtle-crossing-the-road chapter 3 of The Grapes of Wrath. Anyway, one student included these two:

You are on the Oregon Trail. You meet a man named Terry. You say, "Terry's a girl's name," and Terry brutally beats you up for making fun of him. You have died of dissin' Terry."

What is the temperature inside of a tauntaun?
Lukewarm.Ah... what is it that keeps we teachers going, again? :rolleyes: :pleased:

p.s. I was looking through all the posts in this here looooooong thread; we've come a long way, baby! Five years of success, struggle, pain, economics, workload, awards, evaluations, despair, humor, stories, stats, room issues, temperatures, administration, voting, caseloads, and more more more.

JetsAndHeels
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
There is some light slowly forming at the end of the tunnel.

I don't want to go into too many details at this moment, but if I can make it to the end of this year I may be getting a much needed change.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm rootin' for you! :thumbsup:

I get to test half a sophomore PE class for standardized testing starting tomorrow (so those classes of 50-70 students aren't so large); but at least this year, I know three of the students already.

Maradona
04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
CSTs begin on Tuesday. Yay!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2013, 06:38 PM
- WASC visit
- two furlough days off
- spring break
- talent show

Just during March. All in only 14 instructional days. Wow.What did we officially learn today? We are finally a CA Distinguished School! :D :thumbsup:

Maradona
04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Congratulations, BCJ.

TeeEye7
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
What did we officially learn today? We are finally a CA Distinguished School! :D :thumbsup:

Nicely done, sir! I know from experience as my wife has been on the committee throughout the years at her school site achieve this prestigious designation. It's no easy process!

http://thorner.bcsd.com/

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Standardized testing (aside from absent make-ups)... done! That's not the big news. It seems that NONE of our students used their cell phones during the testing! Amazing! After the tests were done and the bells rang, however... it was like a prisoner off his hunger strike to check messages and damage their thumbs.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-18-2013, 11:51 PM
That's not the big news. It seems that NONE of our students used their cell phones during the testing! Amazing! After the tests were done and the bells rang, however... it was like a prisoner off his hunger strike to check messages and damage their thumbs.So, just like what happens when a plane lands.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM
So, how do you all handle this "but it's the last week before finals..." line now?

a) like a cool teacher, letting kids do whatever they want (as long as property & physical damage don't occur) :pleased:
b) like a mean teacher, continuing to give class- and homework :mad:
c) like a proper teacher, balancing some new work with review and relaxation :thumbsup:
d) all of the above, like a confused teacher :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, here's the only negative I'll share: worst final exams time in my career teaching.

There, now that that's out of the way... :brusheshands: All things considered, this year was somewhere in the middle; not too terrible, not totally awesome. Just have to finish grading exams, clean up and close up my classroom, hand in keys and paperwork. Year #11 is almost in the books! :D

Maradona
05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I've got 11 more school days before turning in final grades and cleaning up. This 12th year of teaching has been my most arduous. We lost a student in February and my friend who taught across the hall from me died in April of cancer-related complications a week short of his 46th birthday. Add to that a transition to being leadership adviser and yearbook sponsor, along with continuing to sponsor the school newspaper and the after school peer counseling program and I ended up with the most trying teaching year I've had. I can hardly wait until the last day of school (June 7), graduation (June 10), staff meetings (June 11 & 12), and grad-nite (June 14) are over. Challenge is important, so I hope the trials of this year help make me a more effective teacher next year.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Looking back more specifically, and with a decent night's sleep after the last day of finals, here's how this year went:
- first year with new principal (who had been part of the school before)
- WASC review team (of which I was part of the campus leadership committee)
- CA Distinguished School review team (I wasn't on this committee)
- trying to maintain school's strong scores in the area
- first time teaching juniors, including getting a new class two weeks into the year (worked out fairly fine, except for the students who physically challenged me once or twice)
- supposed to have collaborated with the Special Education dept. (scheduling changes ended that, but the computer schedule and paperwork still showed it was going on)
- standard help with HS exit exam, standardized testing coverage
- 2nd recycling scholarship based on collecting items (also to buy HSEE snacks for those students)
- some good colleagues retiring
- stopped our department literary journal (for various reasons, some financial; members of dept. only realized I really wasn't doing it again at the end of the year despite my comments confirming it all year)
- more "facepalm" meetings with parents/counselors/admin.
- my 3-year review (it went interestingly well?)
- upcoming changes to Common Core national standards
- more physical issues (back, feet and toes, sleep, memory) than before

Again, all the good things still outweigh the not-so. :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Looking back more specifically, and with a decent night's sleep after the last day of finals, here's how this year went:
- first year with new principal (who had been part of the school before)
- WASC review team (of which I was part of the campus leadership committee)
- CA Distinguished School review team (I wasn't on this committee)
- trying to maintain school's strong scores in the area
- first time teaching juniors, including getting a new class two weeks into the year (worked out fairly fine, except for the students who physically challenged me once or twice)
- supposed to have collaborated with the Special Education dept. (scheduling changes ended that, but the computer schedule and paperwork still showed it was going on)
- standard help with HS exit exam, standardized testing coverage
- 2nd recycling scholarship based on collecting items (also to buy HSEE snacks for those students)
- some good colleagues retiring
- stopped our department literary journal (for various reasons, some financial; members of dept. only realized I really wasn't doing it again at the end of the year despite my comments confirming it all year)
- more "facepalm" meetings with parents/counselors/admin.
- my 3-year review (it went interestingly well?)
- upcoming changes to Common Core national standards
- more physical issues (back, feet and toes, sleep, memory) than before

Again, all the good things still outweigh the not-so. :thumbsup:

I saw that you taught juniors this year? Is it true that high school teachers generally want to teach the upperclassmen since they are more likely to be invested in education and they know the game after 10+ years of education as opposed to the underclassmen who are filled with a mix of students who may go on to vocational, drop-out, and are still hormonal?

Also, the Common Core national standards are being implemented in NY for the second year in a row. The first was full of kinks. Is CA aligned pretty well to the standards? I thought our state was aligned until I saw how much much higher rigor the new standards are. Not surprising the standards have been met with much anger since are students are being asked to perform at higher tasks that they are largely not capable of meeting.

This past year was rewarding. I feel a sense of comfort with my job that I had not yet experienced in my previous years. I also continued to serve as the PTA liason for our school, coordinated recycling in my school for the 5th year in a row, started a knitting club with a co-teacher and students (I have no idea to knit, just volunteered to monitor the students) and became coordinator of our student council when a teacher went on extended leave.

It was also the first year of A.P.P.R (Annual Professional Performance Review) the new teacher evaluation process in our district, and I was very satisfied with my evaluation, despite the anxiety it caused.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I saw that you taught juniors this year? Is it true that high school teachers generally want to teach the upperclassmen since they are more likely to be invested in education and they know the game after 10+ years of education as opposed to the underclassmen who are filled with a mix of students who may go on to vocational, drop-out, and are still hormonal?

Also, the Common Core national standards are being implemented in NY for the second year in a row. The first was full of kinks. Is CA aligned pretty well to the standards? I thought our state was aligned until I saw how much much higher rigor the new standards are. Not surprising the standards have been met with much anger since are students are being asked to perform at higher tasks that they are largely not capable of meeting.

This past year was rewarding. I feel a sense of comfort with my job that I had not yet experienced in my previous years. I also continued to serve as the PTA liason for our school, coordinated recycling in my school for the 5th year in a row, started a knitting club with a co-teacher and students (I have no idea to knit, just volunteered to monitor the students) and became coordinator of our student council when a teacher went on extended leave.

It was also the first year of A.P.P.R (Annual Professional Performance Review) the new teacher evaluation process in our district, and I was very satisfied with my evaluation, despite the anxiety it caused.Actually, I've preferred the lower grades (9th and 10th) since they aren't as cynical to education and realizing they're closer to leaving HS. Juniors are still hormonal, but most have learned to keep the verbal aspects of that more quiet. As of my preliminary schedule, I have ALL juniors this coming year; I'm hoping there will be a change, even if it adds a single freshman or sophomore class.

Our district started with the CC standards planning a year ago, so we're somewhat prepared. To be honest, it's not all that different from what my school's been doing the post several years, anyway.

Great to hear of your accomplishments! My 11th year was in the middle: some bad, some good. I gave out my second recycling scholarship (from items collected over the year, minus funds used for Exit Exam snacks), was on our school's focus team for WASC accreditation, and taught juniors for the first time. I had a period that was my most immature 10th graders I have ever taught.

I was evaluated this year (our district does it every 2 or 3 years, once you pass about 5 in the district), but I felt the lesson and timing of the evaluation would work against me (day after the HSEE). Turned out fine. :D

I will likely go back to my classroom tomorrow to start putting my room back in place. I do that, just a few hours at a time, so I'm not stressing to do so the week (or weekend) before school resumes.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2013, 06:35 PM
I will likely go back to my classroom tomorrow to start putting my room back in place. I do that, just a few hours at a time, so I'm not stressing to do so the week (or weekend) before school resumes.Well, due to waxing of floors and painting of hallways, I couldn't get into my classroom until about a week ago, but it's ready to go, I suppose. Just need to plan the first week (only three days long: Wed.-Fri.) of lessons. Here we go, year 12 of teaching! :D

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Well, due to waxing of floors and painting of hallways, I couldn't get into my classroom until about a week ago, but it's ready to go, I suppose. Just need to plan the first week (only three days long: Wed.-Fri.) of lessons. Here we go, year 12 of teaching! :DWhen does school start?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Classes begin this Wednesday, but we report for teacher/district meetings starting tomorrow.

Remember when Labor Day was your clue that school was soon approaching? Now it's the first day off AFTER the year's begun (we only have that one day off, from day one, until Veterans' Day in Nov. :eek: ).

Maradona
08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I, too, haven't had access to the classroom and won't until Tuesday, our first meeting day. The kids come back on August 13 and there will be meetings and, in my case, lots of photocopying, up until that day. This will be year 13 and I no longer have to be the leadership or yearbook advisor, so hopefully the year is far less hectic that the last one. I wish all the teachers on this board a speedy and successful year behind the desk, in front of the board, and underneath mounds of papers awaiting grades. Go Team Venture!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Classes begin this Wednesday, but we report for teacher/district meetings starting tomorrow.

Remember when Labor Day was your clue that school was soon approaching? Now it's the first day off AFTER the year's begun (we only have that one day off, from day one, until Veterans' Day in Nov. :eek: ).I think that when I was in 1st and 2nd grade, we started before Labor Day, but after that I think it was always after Labor Day. At the very least, it was in September and not August. When I was in first grade, I think we were done with school by June 3. We took a trip to California, and the lines at Disneyland were usually not long, probably due to most kids not yet being out of school.

TeeEye7
08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
My wife starts her meetings and classes tomorrow before getting into the classroom to set up for the year. I've never understood why the District doesn't realize that the teachers can't get their rooms together in just a mere few days. The stress level in the house is already on high....

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
So, we're all at our annual district get-together/pep rally, with all the here's-what's-coming-this-year and what's-the-budget-like information. :zzz: Then... the superintendent starts making an analogy to the Lakers, and that his favorite player from the Showtime era was James Worthy, then... who should walk on stage? "Big Game" James himself! :eek: Listened to his talk for about 15 minutes (after everyone sat down and put away their camera phones, of course). Sweet!

Meetings on campus tomorrow, last papers and lessons preparation, then it's on like Call of Duty: Black Ops... kong?

Maradona
08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
So, we're all at our annual district get-together/pep rally, with all the here's-what's-coming-this-year and what's-the-budget-like information. :zzz: Then... the superintendent starts making an analogy to the Lakers, and that his favorite player from the Showtime era was James Worthy, then... who should walk on stage? "Big Game" James himself! :eek: Listened to his talk for about 15 minutes (after everyone sat down and put away their camera phones, of course). Sweet!

Meetings on campus tomorrow, last papers and lessons preparation, then it's on like Call of Duty: Black Ops... kong?

Budget cuts everywhere, but somehow districts still find money for guest speakers. Ah, the glorious state of education...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, he is good friends with someone connected to the district; I wonder if there was a gentleman's agreement rather than a fee.

Maradona
08-07-2013, 06:40 PM
That would be very cool of Big Game.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Well, the first "week" is done; two days of meetings/planning/organizing, followed by three days of students and lessons.
Pros?
- good kids (which is ALWAYS the best part)
- only have to plan one lesson daily (first time all the same level: juniors)

Cons?
- no A/C since school began this week (and the fan doesn't help aside from moving the hot air around; scary point: it's not even reached 90 outside)
- classes over-full (have to borrow desks in one period from my neighbor teacher, then return them the next period for his large classes)
- have one lesson to present daily, five periods in a row (and my preparation period is 1st, of 6; can get dull by the end if I'm not careful)

Next week is Back to School Night; hope to have air functional by then.

Maradona
08-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, the first "week" is done; two days of meetings/planning/organizing, followed by three days of students and lessons.
Pros?
- good kids (which is ALWAYS the best part)
- only have to plan one lesson daily (first time all the same level: juniors)

Cons?
- no A/C since school began this week (and the fan doesn't help aside from moving the hot air around; scary point: it's not even reached 90 outside)
- classes over-full (have to borrow desks in one period from my neighbor teacher, then return them the next period for his large classes)
- have one lesson to present daily, five periods in a row (and my preparation period is 1st, of 6; can get dull by the end if I'm not careful)

Next week is Back to School Night; hope to have air functional by then.

One prep is scary. I had that only once and thankfully never again. I'm sure you'll find a way to keep interesting for both you and the kids. I've got three preps this year (four if I count the after school peer counseling), a far cry from last year's five (or six). I'm really looking forward to the kids showing up this week after a week of meetings. One more big one on Monday and then to the business of actual education.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Almost took on a 6th period (but I was not as high up on the list as the person who accepted), but once I realized it would be the same level (that'd be six straight juniors :eek: ), I wasn't disappointed I didn't get it. BUT... my air conditioning is back to functional! :D :thumbsup: AND... I have enough desks for each of my students per class period! Amazing! :) The system works! ;) Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).

Maradona
08-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Almost took on a 6th period (but I was not as high up on the list as the person who accepted), but once I realized it would be the same level (that'd be six straight juniors :eek: ), I wasn't disappointed I didn't get it. BUT... my air conditioning is back to functional! :D :thumbsup: AND... I have enough desks for each of my students per class period! Amazing! :) The system works! ;) Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).

I like auxiliary periods. It's a substantial pay raise for the year to compensate for the extra work. I asked for, but there has not been any movement so far.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing bad puns (on purpose) based on contrasting similar-sounding vocabulary words (i.e. argument/augment, vivisected/vivid, or specter/sepulcher, etc.).Sounds like a job for Malaprop Man!

TeeEye7
08-17-2013, 07:37 PM
I put together a system of shelves (it was actually called a "mail box") for my wife's classroom this afternoon. I couldn't help but marvel at how many hundreds of dollars of ours is in her room. Furniture, flip charts, pocket charts, shelves, trays, plastic tubs and other assorted containers. That's not even including the school supplies we augment. I firmly believe she works for minimum wage with all the money we put back into her classroom every year.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2013, 10:29 PM
There are some ways I've been able to save some classroom items money by using things twice, or miserly:
- handwrite a student's name on a manila folder for a portfolio and put a sticker on it later to re-use that folder once the student's no longer at the school
- use blank sides of paper for master copies (or occasionally other copies)
- haven't bought boxes of paperclips in years, as I keep the ones used by the end of the school year
- toilet paper as tissues (students are less likely to waste these, and I give them to them anyway)
- buy cheap (under $.50) spiral notebooks and tear out the pages for loose leaf paper (much cheaper than packs of paper)
- stock up on those rare awesome supplies deals (items for $.01) just in case
- trade items with co-workers that I have extras of for those I don't
- recyclables (but I use these funds for snacks for testing and an annual recycling scholarship)

sith_killer_99
08-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Well, school starts next week out here. Tonight we had the "meet and greet" with the teachers. WORST meet and greet EVER.

We spent 1.5 hours at the school for almost 15 full seconds of face time with my daughters "pride" teacher.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2013, 07:21 PM
At lunch this week, there was a swarm of bees surrounding a tree in the quad (true or false: students still walked right towards the tree :confused: ). Solution? Put up "caution: do not cross" yellow tape, of course! That'll keep those bees in place. :rolleyes: Actually, I learned the district policy is to let the queen leave the beehive after a couple days, and then don't have to kill any insects with pesticide as they also go away (then, the empty hive gets knocked down). No reports of any stung students or staff, thanks.

sith_killer_99
08-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Actually, I learned the district policy is to let the queen leave the beehive after a couple days, and then don't have to kill any insects with pesticide as they also go away (then, the empty hive gets knocked down). No reports of any stung students or staff, thanks.

Why not kill the bees?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I think it's due to having possible toxic chemicals on campus. And I can predict a later question: what about possible toxic bee stings happening on campus? I don't know. :(

This year has an odd start to it. I sense a notable Star Wars movie repeated line of feelings about this...

Maradona
08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
At lunch this week, there was a swarm of bees surrounding a tree in the quad (true or false: students still walked right towards the tree :confused: ). Solution? Put up "caution: do not cross" yellow tape, of course! That'll keep those bees in place. :rolleyes:

I thought you didn't work for LAUSD...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Common Core, you know: got to do the same across the curriculums (yeah, you read that right). :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Why not kill the bees?

This is California, SK. 'Nuff said....

TeeEye7
08-31-2013, 02:54 PM
This was the focus of my week...
http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/arrest-made-in-the-death-of-a-man-left-in-kern-county-almond-field-083013