PDA

View Full Version : Teachers

Pages : [1] 2 3

TeeEye7
08-18-2008, 12:06 AM
My wife is in the other room working on lesson plans as tomorrow is the first day of school in our area. It's been very busy these past couple of weeks for her preparing for the new year.

That got me thinking: SSG is replete with teachers. I would like to wish them all well (both veteran teachers and those starting their student teaching) for the upcoming 2008-2009 school year. I hope your year is as fun as it is successful! :thumbsup:

In spite of dealing with NCLB!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the warm wishes!! I was a T.A. for the last two years while I was working on my Master's degree and I was recently hired in as a full-time instructor at the University of Toledo a few weeks ago.

My lesson plans probably aren't as in-depth as other instructors as I teach college level and I can write a few lines and know where I want to go that day. Still, I worked on lesson plans for my four Comp courses and it took me several days to type up and organize them. I think what takes me the longest amount of time is coming up with in class discussion questions and paper assignments.

I'm a bit nervous now being full-time, but i'm still ridiculously excited as I love teaching and this is the first time I can teach my courses and not worry about my master's paper, or my MA exam, or research, etc, etc. I can teach, hold hours, conference, etc, etc, and at the end of the day, go home and relax. Should be interesting! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
08-18-2008, 06:54 AM
My sister in law is a teacher, and I'm sure she'll start back to school soon. She lives six hours north of me teaching on the Wisconsin, Michigan border.

I still keep in touch with my old art teacher, though I believe he is across seas for the summer, he still maintains a residence in my hometown. I had invited him to my wedding, but he had to decline because he was going to Greece.

Maradona
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Thank you and best wishes to all the educators out there.

My school has a summer bridge program for incoming freshman that starts today and runs the whole week, so I'll be working starting in a couple of hours. Then, we've got about a week off before the real classes begin two days after Labor Day.

It'll be over before we know it...

JetsAndHeels
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks alot TeeEye!!

My school started week before last (we get out in May so we come back early August) so things have been going pretty well so far. I teach mostly
10th and 11th graders, so there never is a dull moment!!

Have a great year everyone.

Maradona-We have a summer bridge at our school too....its a great way to get those freshmen in and help them develop teamwork skills.

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd feel disrespectful saying I'm a teacher, but I am doing my student teaching this semester.

I'm both excited about and dreading student teaching. I know there are going to be issues with us dropping to one income and that I'm going to be absolutely bogged down with three preps and all the work that comes with them. But at the same time, I'm familiar with the school, students and teachers (I did my mid level experience there as well) and I feel I have a distinct advantage over other student teachers in that I won't have the butterflies about going into a new place like they will. I can simply continue to develop an already solid repoire.

Best of luck to all the real* teachers!

*Paycheck!

JetsAndHeels
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Best of luck to all the real* teachers!

I don't really consider myself a real teacher. I am still new (2nd year), so I am not that great at it. I try my best to keep my students engaged and interested in the material, but sometimes it just falls short.

Hopefully I will get better.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
To prove that teachers DO have a 7th sense, or even those married/related to teachers, I was thinking about starting a similar thread on the teaching world. There's a phrase that teachers use, "beg, borrow, and steal" as it relates to lesson planning.

We start classes next week (must... squeeze... last week of... summer for...all it's... worth... :Par: ), but we have some meetings this week, plus all that copying and setting up (syllabi, room arrangements, books, signing-up). I'm pretty close; entering my seventh year means I'm closer to actually knowing what I'm doing now. :D

What "extra duty" (yes, I am setting myself up for comments on this one, so fire away :rolleyes: ) assignments have you/your teachers signed up for? I usually go for track & field officiating (recording high/long jump or shot/discus or timer for races, etc.), but I know others who only do non-sports (dance, theater, etc.) or indoor ones (basketball, volleyball, etc.). BTW, this is something that most teacher contracts include that means you "volunteer" to work some school-connected events (ours requires two).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't really consider myself a real teacher. I am still new (2nd year), so I am not that great at it. I try my best to keep my students engaged and interested in the material, but sometimes it just falls short.

Hopefully I will get better.

I'm sure you'll get better; it just takes practice and finding a groove. I remember how damned scared I was when I first started student teaching: one comp course of 25 students (mostly freshmen) at 8 a.m. on tuesdays and thursdays. I just kept myself as lively as I could and had a class that was a lot of student discussion. I would ask them questions constantly, call on those people who I could tell had no interest in talking in class, etc, etc.

But sometimes, yeah, I agree, the response just isn't there. I had that once and I got pretty irritated and had them write a 5 page response to two poems I found in the text. Needless to say, they stayed on the ball and did the assigned readings. hhehehehehehee

One trick we were taught was to bring a water bottle to class and if nobody answers your questions, take a few sips to take your mind off the awkwardness of the sitaution. It's silly, but it really helps and it can draw out student response. Then again, I have a mutant like power of ignoring awkardness and awkward situations. I'm the Larry David of the Comp dept. :thumbsup:

To prove that teachers DO have a 7th sense, or even those married/related to teachers, I was thinking about starting a similar thread on the teaching world. There's a phrase that teachers use, "beg, borrow, and steal" as it relates to lesson planning.

We start classes next week (must... squeeze... last week of... summer for...all it's... worth... :Par: ), but we have some meetings this week, plus all that copying and setting up (syllabi, room arrangements, books, signing-up). I'm pretty close; entering my seventh year means I'm closer to actually knowing what I'm doing now. :D

What "extra duty" (yes, I am setting myself up for comments on this one, so fire away :rolleyes: ) assignments have you/your teachers signed up for? I usually go for track & field officiating (recording high/long jump or shot/discus or timer for races, etc.), but I know others who only do non-sports (dance, theater, etc.) or indoor ones (basketball, volleyball, etc.). BTW, this is something that most teacher contracts include that means you "volunteer" to work some school-connected events (ours requires two).

My school has orientation this week too, but it's primarily for first and second year T.A's, meaning i've been there twice so i decided not to go and to get some last minute summer shenanigans out of the way. I am going back on wednesday though to unpack and get my cable/internet hooked up again, etc. I will be attending the last day though as that's workshop day where faculty can exchange ideas, etc. My syllabi are done for the most part: just gotta add office # and office hours.

As for extra stuff, i plan to join some committees or groups as they encourage it and it looks great on a future C.V. I did a writing contest last year and really enjoyed it and i'm hoping to do more of that this year as well.

What courses are you folks teaching this year? I'm just four sections of comp I to start off.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry, I forgot about the JC and university profs out there. Not too many "extra duty" requirements for them, as they have enough going on.

What courses am I teaching this year? For the first time since I began, I'll have just two preps (different classes to prepare for, for those not in the know): freshman college-prep English and sophomore college-prep English. I'd had either Yearbook or exit exam study skills the last five years, too.

I seldom re-do assignments, so I am planning new stuff all the time. There are a few same ones, and I have to teach certain things as per the Standards (CA requires certain concepts or techniques that get tested on in the spring), but the individual work changes year-by-year. I do so normally on a week-to-week basis, to keep things fresh, current, and building on recent assignments.

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Special love to all teachers: preschool, elementary, Jr. High (special high five for intense courage under fire), Sr. High, and colllege. Good teachers (like good coaches) are what makes humans the superior species on planet earth. They inspire mankind's greatness, empower his faith, and give us the means to make dreams come true.

(Bad teachers create monsters, but that's another rant and not our focus here....)

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of a teacher (sorry Vader, had you learned that you wouldn't have ended up in your black suit).

I'm proud to know teachers, proud to have had great teachers in my life, and proud to send my children into the hands of the next generation of great teachers (plus I'm proud to send my children out of the house!!!!!).

Good luck this year teachers. You matter. May the force be with you. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
(Bad teachers create monsters, but that's another rant and not our focus here....)Perhaps its just the teacher in me talking, but (at least at an upper level) bad teachers teach me just as much about teaching as good ones. While I model my own style and methods after the good ones, I use the bad ones as an example of what I do not to do.

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Perhaps its just the teacher in me talking, but (at least at an upper level) bad teachers teach me just as much about teaching as good ones. While I model my own style and methods after the good ones, I use the bad ones as an example of what I do not to do.

That's good for the teacher Captian, but still doesn't help the student.

Let me give you an example. A little boy was very poor at math, in fact, he was just plain bored with it. One day that boy started to do well in the subject in a game called around the world. Two students would be given flashcards (multiplication, addition, etc.). The winner (the one who said the answer first) advanced to face off with another student while the looser sat down. So one day this boy (yes it's me, and no I'm not a monster for those keeping tabs) started to win several rounds, 12 in a row in fact. "Math is fun" he thought. Indeed this boy beat the three smartest kids in his class during his epic run. Then he finally lost (no big deal). What was the teacher's response to his small moment of glory? "I'm glad you lost," she said, "you were annoying me." After that day, my small-lived affair with math ended in bitter, bitter angst. Luckily I still liked all other subjects so school was never a drag....except math.

TeeEye7
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I'd feel disrespectful saying I'm a teacher, but I am doing my student teaching this semester.

This is where the career begins, Cappy, so yes, you are a teacher! :yes:

I'm an instructor (we don't use the word teacher....heaven forbid! :rolleyes: Dumb cops...) in our law enforcement academy. I have lesson plans, labs, and lectures to prepare, but I only teach a 12 hour segment in the academy. Academies happen only when we're hiring, and thank the Maker I'll have three academies by year's end (this is extra bucks for me at a much higher pay than my regular job since I'm considered an adjunct faculty member through the local junior college).

I would consider myself a quasi-teacher whereas you are definitely on your way! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Perhaps its just the teacher in me talking, but (at least at an upper level) bad teachers teach me just as much about teaching as good ones. While I model my own style and methods after the good ones, I use the bad ones as an example of what I do not to do.I've done the same thing. I remember what didn't work for me as a student, and try to NOT repeat that problem. I have my problems, sure, but I hope my good techniques and lessons overshadow my negative points.

What SW stuff (if any) is in/around your classroom, if you get your own?

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
What SW stuff (if any) is in/around your classroom, if you get your own?
For me, the only thing I could see ever making its way into one of my classes would be figures, especially those with historical elements in them (i.e. Vader's helmet).

Earlier this year I was at Hot Topic and saw the poster of "Educational Decree No. 98" from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and I knew I had to have it for my class. What is "Educational Decree No. 98" you ask? "Those wishing to join the Inquisitorial Squad for extra credit may sign up in the High Inquisitor's office.":yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I used to think I might go into teaching, but I never did go into the education program as an undergrad. I was thinking about doing it after graduation. I picked up the application packet and after looking through that I decided it wasn't for me. I decided to do what my college roommate did, which was go to grad school in math and then teach community college. As a grad student, I taught a class each quarter under the direction of a lead instructor, but I just never got comfortable doing it. I wasn't able to open up and have fun with it, and most of the students were probably bored to tears.

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I wasn't able to open up and have fun with it, and most of the students were probably bored to tears.I can tell you first hand that it is due to not having done it long enough. Sure, there are "naturals" who find their "teacher pants" right away. In my experience thus far, I can see where I'm good and where I need improvement. I know I have another 30 years or so to get it right, so I don't worry about it. I simply make a note to be mindful of it next time.

For example, during my mid-tier I was required to teach a minimum of two lessons. My first lesson was on turn of the century urban living/development. That lesson went absolutely, 100% perfect to the point that students were asking me questions related to the topic (but not essential to the lesson) after the lecture. Figuring I had somehow captured lightning in a bottle, I used basically the exact same lesson format for a section on the Women's Suffrage movement. If you listen closely, you can still hear the bomb I dropped echoing somewhere over Lake Erie.

sith_killer_99
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
One of the great things I love about the military is the training. There is always something new to learn or something old to brush up on.

As a Non-commissioned Officer it often falls to me to teach as well. I received my "Instructor" identifier back in 1998.

I have been "teaching" for years. The subjects vary greatly, everything from, how to conduct convoy operations to field sanitation to MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) specific training. My MOS is 68A (Biomedical Equipment Technician). My "real world" job is to maintain and repair medical equipment. Then there is leadership training, mentoring and developing a new crop of NCO's to carry the mission forward. To me that has been the most rewarding, to take young Soldiers, train them, develop them and watch them grow into good leaders.

I am currently working on getting a slot at the school house. This would be a full time teaching position geared towards MOS training. We get a fresh crop of Soldiers and teach them the fundamentals of electronics, mechanics, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc. all relating specifically to our "real world" job.

I am also considering the "Troops to Teachers" program. I want to take up a teaching position directly after I retire (5 more years!!!). Something to hold me over until I can get elected into office.:D

TeeEye7
08-19-2008, 01:51 AM
My wife's first day of school went pretty well for the most part.

Her main trouble was with a couple of parents whose kids are in her class. They are two moms we consider friends (both of their husbands work with me at the Sheriff's Office) but who cannot stand each other. I guess they got into it and one mom is considering yanking their kid out of my wife's class.

Both are Type A personalities. Both are very active volunteering in the classroom. It's too bad they're thinking of themselves and not their child's education.

:rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Whew. I just had the scare of my life.

Back in late May, my host teacher and I agreed that I will teach US government, Western Civ and World history. We've been emailing each other the last few days in preparation for next week and she mentions to me where I should start planning for 9/10 US history, even though she told me last spring that she still wanted to teach those two classes. I pooped myself when I realized that I was going to have five preps.

I told her I was "up to the challenge" and then she remembered our conversation and was actually relieved that I was "letting her keep" her two US classes. The worst part was is that I got the email from her telling me I had five preps last night about 11:00, which caused a little bit of sleeplessness!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Whew. I just had the scare of my life.

I pooped myself when I realized that I was going to have five preps.

The worst part was is that I got the email from her telling me I had five preps last night about 11:00, which caused a little bit of sleeplessness!When I started my student teaching, I found out the first day of school what subjects I was going to teach. Luckily, my two master teachers were planning on letting me watch for a week or so before beginning my own lessons. :whew: Funniest part was that the teaching program called about two months into the year, a phone message is on my machine, telling me which HS school site I am supposed to teach at; I called them back to tell them I'd been teaching in the classrooms for a few weeks already. They were surprised as to how I knew where to go. Gotta love the education system! :pleased:

And TI, I've had some parent conflicts in the past. Some even called me at home. :eek: And Back to School Night was tough; I actually asked an administrator to be in the classroom during that time.

I am now starting to get the nerves for Day One.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
When I started my student teaching, I found out the first day of school what subjects I was going to teach. Luckily, my two master teachers were planning on letting me watch for a week or so before beginning my own lessons. :whew: Funniest part was that the teaching program called about two months into the year, a phone message is on my machine, telling me which HS school site I am supposed to teach at; I called them back to tell them I'd been teaching in the classrooms for a few weeks already. They were surprised as to how I knew where to go. Gotta love the education system! :pleased:

And TI, I've had some parent conflicts in the past. Some even called me at home. :eek: And Back to School Night was tough; I actually asked an administrator to be in the classroom during that time.

I am now starting to get the nerves for Day One.

Teaching at the college level, I can gleefully avoid any sort of parent interaction or complaints. I can simply tell them, "if your child is over 18, it is against the law for me to reveal any information regarding grades, attendance, etc, etc." Gotta love that! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Well I am off to teach the youth of America...have a great day everyone!!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-21-2008, 12:24 AM
What "extra duty" (yes, I am setting myself up for comments on this one, so fire away :rolleyes: ) assignments have you/your teachers signed up for? I usually go for track & field officiating (recording high/long jump or shot/discus or timer for races, etc.)You seem to be into the track & field. Did you compete, and if so, what events? I was a distance runner. Not in great shape now though, only running about one day a week.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
You seem to be into the track & field. Did you compete, and if so, what events? I was a distance runner. Not in great shape now though, only running about one day a week.My current "shape" is globular. :p

Events I ran at least twice in a meet in HS (* = more of a regular event for me)
220 yd
440 yd *
880 yd *
mile
2 mile
mile relay *
high jump *
long jump
triple jump *
3 mile (cross country team) *

Events I ran in junior college:
800 m
1500 or 1600 m
high jump
triple jump

I was a ultimate "tweener" runner; not good enough for a top varsity spot, too good for JV, and never really found (obviously... ) "my" event. They tried me at hurdles and pole vault, too. I knew I'd never make it at 100, shot, or discus. My PRs are average-good, for the most part.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
My current "shape" is globular. :p

Events I ran at least twice in a meet in HS (* = more of a regular event for me)
220 yd
440 yd *
880 yd *
mile
2 mile
mile relay *
high jump *
long jump
triple jump *
3 mile (cross country team) *

Events I ran in junior college:
800 m
1500 or 1600 m
high jump
triple jump

I was a ultimate "tweener" runner; not good enough for a top varsity spot, too good for JV, and never really found (obviously... ) "my" event. They tried me at hurdles and pole vault, too. I knew I'd never make it at 100, shot, or discus. My PRs are average-good, for the most part.

So, it looks like you were mostly a middle distance runner. You actually ran the yard distances rather than meters? Our high school track wasn't metric at the time, but they had the marks on it so that we were able to run the metric distances. We didn't really have separate meets for JV except for maybe a JV league meet. Everyone competed in the dual meets. Only three per event could compete at the varsity league meet. Same thing with invitationals, though that might have only been two per event.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Four entries per meet was our limit; invitationals I think was the same. Once it got to "playoff" time (meaning after league meets), coaches usually limited it to two or three to get the best performances. Most of the distances were run at the yard marks, but some were meters. College was all metric.

BTW, here're some pics of parts of three of the four walls in room C-40:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Great "Foreshadowing" example!

My sister recently started teaching for her first year; it's at an inner-city school and she teaches math and science. She seems to like it apart from one or two problem kids (as in any class). My mom started student teaching, too, so I have a few teachers in the family.

CaptainSolo1138
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
BCJ, I love the "you stuff" on the wall behind your desk. I don't think enough teachers do that type of thing (in my experience at least) and that leads to a cold, sterile environment. Just because I'm not trying to be their friend doesn't mean I don't want my kids to know me.

You're covering your "Dimension 1" very well, my friend.:D

Great "Foreshadowing" example!Is that the route you plan on heading as well?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
No, I won't be teaching. I just started at the University of Colorado (I moved here yesterday; classes start Monday) to study film so I can make movies that can be shot down and scrutinized online. ;) (If by "route," you meant turning into a homicidal maniac like Anakin, I'm not planning on that, either. :D )

As for personal items, one of my teachers in high school brought in a group of action figures every week and put them on display. Each week had a theme - underwater (Spongebob, the Yellow Submarine, Nemo, etc.), aliens (Yoda, Toy Story alien, etc.). There was often a bit of Star Wars and it was really cool.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
BCJ, I love the "you stuff" on the wall behind your desk. I don't think enough teachers do that type of thing (in my experience at least) and that leads to a cold, sterile environment. Just because I'm not trying to be their friend doesn't mean I don't want my kids to know me.

You're covering your "Dimension 1" very well, my friend.:DMy rule (well, one of my 3 rules) is that everything must have a reason for being in the classroom. My area is by my desk for looking, not touching. Other things around the room are slightly more "interactive," and more for/by the students (no work to display just yet). I have struggled with that friend/friendly aspect for years, mainly because of all the TV coverage/lawsuits about teachers who DO get too friend-ly, and a not-yet mature teenager often can't tell the difference. I try to be nice, polite, and occasionally funny (maybe not :rolleyes: ) but remain the adult and teacher most of the time. To some, that's boring or stiff at times, but I've seen too many others that are very friendly and I have to wonder when/if something bad might unintentionally happen to them. :(

TeeEye7
08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
So, BCJ, how did the first day back at school go?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-26-2008, 01:10 AM
What a great thread, thanks for the well wishes TeeEye.

This time of the year is the duldrums for teachers. The last meal. The final calm before the storm. Your mind cannot escape that your respite which lasted two months, is going to come to a sudden end and soon, we will find ourselves knee deep in planning, paperwork, scheduling, meetings, procedures, rules, and pre-teen drama (but what other professions can boast summers off?)

BCJ, your classroom looks like a feast for the eyes. A visual celebration. Kudos to you for reinforcing your lessons all while maintaining kick arse aesthetics.

Cappy, student teaching is a learning experience. My two placements saw the highest of highs (like I had great lessons when my evaluator came in) and a few quite pathetic and miserable lows (I did not have a great relationship with my second placement, a kindergarten teacher of all things, not my fault though). You will gain an insight to what level you are most comfortable with and as BCJ, keep a sharp eye out for ideas, lessons, etc. from other teachers. I kept a notebook that catalogued the best of ideas from other teachers when I substitute taught (talk about a humble job) and was even known to pilfer a few activities (copies of course).

Anyway, here is to a good year to all teachers, students, and to the families of them. :thumbsup:

Maradona
08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I received this from a former student about a year ago:

Please read it through before getting upset. It's good for a laugh... :shocked:

"TEACHERS ARE OVERPAID!
I, for one, am sick and tired of those highly paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do, baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right! I would give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked, not any silly planning time. That would be $15.00 a day. Each parent should pay $15.00 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day? Maybe 25. Then that's 15 x 25= $375.00 a day. But remember they only work 200 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see? That's 375 x 200 = $75,000.00. (Hold on, my calculator must need batteries!)

What about those Leading Teachers or the ones with Masters Degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be that fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6.00 times five hours times 25 children times 200 days = $150,000.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!

THERE SURE IS...

And this doesn't even mention teachers who teach more than 1 period a day."

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
So, BCJ, how did the first day back at school go?This was one of the best first days in a long time. No major issues with the classroom A/C, no discipline problems at all, no tardy students, some actually laughed at intentionally funny comments, kids answered questions and weren't too quiet, no complaining about having to write the first day. Overall, I give it a :thumbsup:

BCJ, your classroom looks like a feast for the eyes. A visual celebration. Kudos to you for reinforcing your lessons all while maintaining kick arse aesthetics.Thanks! I try to add a few items each year (I didn't show the Taco Bell TPM ceiling display I flattened as a wall trim). My "Wall of M.T.J.E." idea was new last year (but not much participation... More Than Just Existence was to include photos or other "proof" of students living enjoyable lives; there were four :( ).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2008, 12:37 AM
see, I just get an office space (sharing one right now), so while I bummed that I can't put up geeky stuff, I can put goofy stuff on my office walls. I had a slew ofs tupid things in my office last year, including posters from ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, THE OFFICE and the Admiral Ackbar poster that says, 'ES UNA TRAMPA!" and so forth. I think at the end of this semester, i'll get my own official office that I can load up with books i'll never read, but that can intimidate my kids. hehehhehe

I taught my first four classes of the week and despite being a bit nervous and probably sweating like Robin Williams up there, it went well. Most of my classes were very responsive to my upbeat teaching style and my jokes; me telling them to all become Cubs fans cos if the Cubs make it to the series i'm calling off class got laughs every time (either at the notion of a Cubs world series or at my excitement about it, i'm not sure :p ).

I just need to get into the routine though as on tuesday and thursday, I don't have to teach until 5:15 pm and I go until 9:40 with only a 15 minute break. It's just kind of bleurgh to wait around, but this does leave these afternoons open.

But now that I got the opening chats out of the way, we start actual discussion and whatnot tomorrow for all of my classes, which i'm really excited about! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I had a slew ofs tupid things in my office last year, including posters from ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, THE OFFICE and the Admiral Ackbar poster that says, 'ES UNA TRAMPA!" and so forth.

me telling them to all become Cubs fans cos if the Cubs make it to the series i'm calling off class got laughs every time (either at the notion of a Cubs world series or at my excitement about it, i'm not sure :p ). I would absolutely LOVE such an Ackbar poster!

I can speak with my students of my allegiance to the Pittsburgh Pirates, which as of this post, if still a Major League Baseball franchise. No frontrunner, bandwagoners here. :(

BTW, here's a run-down of the SW items visible in my classroom:
- Anakin w/ Vader shadow (as example of foreshadowing)
- Leia/Luke, Anakin/Padme card (as example of gender roles), with a ROTS trading card that's titled "Star Crossed Lovers" (a Romeo & Juliet allusion)
- Taco Bell ceiling hanger display (used as wall border)
- R2D2, clone trooper, and Vader candy containers
- various pictures of my SW collection, or me at events

Not to sound like bragging, but I really like (and appreciate) my classroom.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Has anyone had a student refer to you as "Tee-otch"?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Has anyone had a student refer to you as "Tee-otch"?No, but based on my last name (Jos? :rolleyes: ), there are several cuss words or insults available to them, and I've been given a couple rap artist-style names over the years. :representmypeepsyo : All in fun and hopefully with respect? :o

Qui-Long Gone
09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
So a lot of moms have been telling me (ok, not me, but my wife because I don't hang out with moms....in front of my wife) that they've noticed that a lot of women teachers favor girl students over boys, and that their sons have been given the shaft. I thought of this as them being over-protective, mama bear's baby boy isn't treated like a prince....

Here are specific examples of what they've shared: the teacher gives "pet names" to all the girls but not the boys, or the teacher always sends behavior notes home with the boys but not the girls.

I was lucky to have many female teachers when I was in elementary that didn't seem to favor either sexes, but it makes me nervous to think about my son's future. My daughter has had an good experience so far (3 years into elementary), but I have noticed that the teachers at her school have less patience for boys. How do you address this as a concerned parent?

CaptainSolo1138
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
A number of outstandingly fantastic things have happened for me over the first five days of school, but sadly the thing that sticks out most is the dumbass 10th grader who asked, "How did France get Louisiana all the way over here after we bought it from them?"

TeeEye7
09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I bet that 10th grader's name is Lanny....and he's 34 years old! :yes:

CaptainSolo1138
09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I bet that 10th grader's name is Lanny....and he's 34 years old! :yes:
No, she is just the type that will be happy getting high with her emo boyfriend the rest of her life.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
No, she is just the type that will be happy getting high with her emo boyfriend the rest of her life.

lol that's hilarious AND depressing.

Things were rough last week for my T/W classes as a lot of kids decided not to read the assigned reading as they were enjoying having monday off and that left me talking to myself as very few people were chiming in. So, for two of my four classes, I made them write a 2-3 page essay at the end of the class on a random topic i just assigned. I told them, "well, if you're not going to speak, you're going to write!" Luckily, my other two classes were on the ball and that made for a better environment.

El Chuxter
09-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Landrea???

TeeEye7
09-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Things were rough last week for my T/W classes as a lot of kids decided not to read the assigned reading as they were enjoying having monday off and that left me talking to myself as very few people were chiming in.

JMG, I'm curious. Do you have kids who feel that by virtue of showing up and paying for college, they should receive a passing grade?

My sister-in-law was a T/A at Fresno State University for several years and she finally quit after becoming sickened by the lack of work ethic her students showed (along with lame excuses as to why their work wasn't completed). They felt they deserved a passing grade just by taking up space in her class. Are you seeing that, too?

Qui-Long Gone
09-09-2008, 05:06 PM
JMG, I'm curious. Do you have kids who feel that by virtue of showing up and paying for college, they should receive a passing grade?

My sister-in-law was a T/A at Fresno State University for several years and she finally quit after becoming sickened by the lack of work ethic her students showed (along with lame excuses as to why their work wasn't completed). They felt they deserved a passing grade just by taking up space in her class. Are you seeing that, too?

This question isn't directed at me, but we see that here with some (not every) students. It's sad because at first I thought this was an economics thing: middle to wealthy-middle class kids thinking they were owed success by virtue of being in class. Then my wife and I started getting involved with kids in poverty and the same ethic is there: entitlement....

Fortunately some students, rich and poor, don't buy into entitlement, but they seem to be in the minority these days....they actually work-hard, accept responsibility for coming up short, and make efforts to get good grades. It's easy to give these students breaks because they make an effort, but the entitlement gangs....you just can't wait to flunk them for their proud laziness.

JetsAndHeels
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
sadly the thing that sticks out most is the dumbass 10th grader who asked, "How did France get Louisiana all the way over here after we bought it from them?"

Classic!!

Yesterday I had a student who asked me if Hitler killed Mexicans.

Don't worry, I also had no clue where the hell she got that from.

El Chuxter
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, in her defense, I'm sure he would have. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Classic!!

Yesterday I had a student who asked me if Hitler killed Mexicans.

Don't worry, I also had no clue where the hell she got that from.

There was some German-Mexican connection that I recall though. Perhaps he was thinking of the Zimmerman Telegram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram). Before that there was Emperor Maximillian who was part of the Austrian Hapsburg royalty.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I keep a file of the most humorous or least sensible student comments (verbal or written) so's I can write a book in the future. Here's the only one I've found so far this year, by a freshman (and I always keep the grammar as written):

"To me a hero would be parents. I would say teachers are hero's, but they get payed for what they do so it doesn't count. Parents don't get payed for parenting, they actually lose more money." :rolleyes:

And to stay in a positive attitude, I'll stay away from the "entitlement" issue right now.

JetsAndHeels
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM
There was some German-Mexican connection that I recall though. Perhaps he was thinking of the Zimmerman Telegram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram). Before that there was Emperor Maximillian who was part of the Austrian Hapsburg royalty.

I know about the Zimmerman Telegram...it was a key factor in the US becoming involved in WW1....however this girl was not thinking about that at all...she's not one of the strongest students I have, but she is coming around and really starting to learn. As a teacher that is all I can hope for.

TeeEye7
09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I keep a file of the most humorous or least sensible student comments (verbal or written) so's I can write a book in the future. Here's the only one I've found so far this year, by a freshman (and I always keep the grammar as written):

Excellent idea for a book! When published, I would imagine you would keep the "authors" anonymous (to protect the innocent and moronic), but do you keep track of the person responsible for the quote in your notes? I think it would be great to lay that on someone who may become famous later on in life!
Did I say that?

BTW: What is it like to be payed? ;)

Qui-Long Gone
09-11-2008, 03:39 PM
So I hate to depress you teachers......

Yesterday a friend told me that one of her students (she's a TA in engineering this fall) told her that her class was too hard because she was demanding perfection and excellence.....:sad:

I don't know about you, but when I drive across a bridge, I expect perfection and excellence from engineers too!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Well, I don't know think they really have that exact mindset that since they're paying they should get a good grade, but I deal with mostly freshmen and whatnot, so if anything, at first, they're just not used to being on their own and doing their thing without any sort of guidance.

Once they get settled, things usually get better, but i do have those kids from time to time who don't really put forth any effort and if anything, they start to freak out towards the end of semester and ask if I have any sort of extra credit or ways to make things up, which I usually don't. I do have a few extra credit things this semester, but most of the time, they're pretty much up a creek if they have slacked away the semester. I tend to stress that they are on their own and that nobody watches their grades aside from themselves.

I do hope your sister in law realizes that she is going to have kids who think they are entitled to grades and that kids will come up with excuses why they didn't do work (I had one tonight: "I didn't have time" which was BS cos I gave them a 3-5 page paper assignment 2 1/2 weeks ago). It's just part of teaching: some kids just want to slack. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Excellent idea for a book! When published, I would imagine you would keep the "authors" anonymous (to protect the innocent and moronic), but do you keep track of the person responsible for the quote in your notes? I think it would be great to lay that on someone who may become famous later on in life!
Did I say that?

BTW: What is it like to be payed? ;)No, it's completely Ann Onymous. Although, there are some I don't think I'll forget, due to their classic nature.

And I believe "payed" is Arabic for "d'oh." :D

TeeEye7
09-14-2008, 02:01 AM
I do hope your sister in law realizes that she is going to have kids who think they are entitled to grades and that kids will come up with excuses why they didn't do work (I had one tonight: "I didn't have time" which was BS cos I gave them a 3-5 page paper assignment 2 1/2 weeks ago). It's just part of teaching: some kids just want to slack. :thumbsup:

That's the reason she reluctantly gave up on the job. She grew tired of the laziness that she said permeated the majority of her classes. The old "my grandmother's funeral" popped up all of the time. Many of the students forgot they used it repeatedly during the semester. She complained that if only her students would have put that creativity to paper, they might have come up with a good composition instead of a lame excuse. She misses her job, but doesn't regret her decision to let it go.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
lol that's hilarious AND depressing.

Things were rough last week for my T/W classes as a lot of kids decided not to read the assigned reading as they were enjoying having monday off and that left me talking to myself as very few people were chiming in. So, for two of my four classes, I made them write a 2-3 page essay at the end of the class on a random topic i just assigned. I told them, "well, if you're not going to speak, you're going to write!" Luckily, my other two classes were on the ball and that made for a better environment.

A Jesuit who taught a religion class during my senior year had the perfect tonic for the many students who blow off assigned readings. He opened up each class with a 2 question quiz based on the assigned readings.

He never pulled any punches with the questions. They weren't "gotcha" questions and he told us that. If you did the reading, you were able to answer them successfully. If not, then you were screwed, because the quizzes were something like 25% of our final grade.

He saved much paper too, by having us write just the answers to the quiz on a piece of notebook paper. He would then collect it, grade it, and hand it back by the beginning of the next class so we could write our answers to the next quiz underneath it. Our grades from the previous quizzes were staring at us every class and it for me it was a motivating factor to do the readings.

As far as the sexism towards girl and boy students go, In my class I find myself unconsciously being tougher on boys than I am to my girls. Maybe it's because girls tend to listen better, be less defiant, and aren't as hyperactive. I lose frustration easily with a few of my boys, sometimes through no fault of my own. I don't see me being unfair with them, but I am definitely more upfront and direct with my male students.

Qui-Long Gone
09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
You know, some of the best teachers are religion teachers.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Had Back to School Night last night (which probably explains why I canghe wok xfko wfk];;wpl 8yup qccl ... :rolleyes: ), which is a great experience at our school and with pretty good parent attendance. How's it for you other teachers, if such an event exists where you are? Or any parents going there?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Our school had "Open House" the night after you did.

I had 13 out of my 17 students show up with some representation (mom, dad, grandparent, etc.) which is about average. Those in the lower primary grades generally have 90% or better, but as the grade levels get higher, the amount of parents attending decreases.

I find it relaxing for the most part. I usually meet with parents on a one-on-one basis, peddling the line "It's still early in the year, more time is needed to form a basis (of this or that) about your child." At a certain time, a grade level is designated to being a presentation that is staggered throughout the evening, to allow the parents of those who have multiple kids in different grade levels to attend each presentation.

This year, our 4th grade team decided to put on a presentation in the cafeteria in front of about 50 parents. I didn't like it, (I am not a good public speaker in front of larger adult crowds) but I did okay, since I had to read off a powerpoint basically.

Maradona
09-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Just got back from a Saturday parent meeting, so no action figure hunting for me this morning. In fact, the same can be said every Saturday. At our school, we have weekly parent education classes on Saturdays. The purpose of the program is to make parents more accountable for their students. We train them to be more strategically involved in what their kids do at home. I give them basic techniques to help their kids in English classes (MAKE THEM READ!!!) and then I work with their kids for 3 hours to get their writing up to speed. It's a minor sacrifice to go each week and almost every Saturday I tell myself "this is the last one," but ultimately it's worth it.

Back to school night, aka "the long dark of Moria," is Thursday for us. I typically get about 30-40 parents. I like meeting the parents and impressing upon them how much of an impact their influence has on the kids.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2008, 11:01 AM
That's a great program and some dedication there, Maradona. That kind of "remediation" on a weekend shows the caring and determination of a school/district towards learning. Since I stopped being the yearbook advisor, I've felt that I've had more time for tutoring or general help for students; some have even come back in later years to ask for help with their other teachers' work. Feels nice, one of those rare see-that-you-really-make-a-difference moments.

Maradona
10-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Agreed. The overwhelming majority of the parents involved have limited English skills at best. This type of program teaches them to communicate more effectively in English with emphasis on the skills they would need to help their kids with school. The hope is that if parents are more involved, the benefits will trickle down.

Doing Saturdays after a long week is not as tough as it may sound. If the parents can do it, so can I.

TeeEye7
11-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Two things:
How are our SSG's teacher's health holding up? My wife was out all of last week courtesy of a virus probably from one of her third graders. This is a record in that she lasted almost until November before getting sick. That usually happens by the third week of school.

She's also being reviewed this week by her principal on top of parent/teacher conferences, also this week. With all the hours she's putting in preparing for both events, I calculate that she's probably making California minimum wage now (which is fifty cents higher than the Federal wage).

Ah, the life of the nation's educators! :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, my daughter just got her report card. She made the A-B honor roll. Her reading and comprehension are through the roof. No surprise there, we read to her every night without fail (my wife and I take turns), she has a small library of her own and she watches television with CC on.

The CC thing started with me, my hearing loss makes it hard to hear certain speakers and words, so I watch with CC so as not to miss anything. My daughter picked up the habit and watches almost everything with CC now.

Her math skills are a little weaker, she's getting mid to high 80's. We will need to work with her on that.:(

Mad Slanted Powers
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
What grade is your daughter in? I was a math major, but I can remember having trouble with subtraction in first grade. In third grade, we did these timed tests. I passed all the addition and subtraction ones on the first try. When I got to the 5th multiplication test, it took me a few tries to get past that one. I think at that grade level, drills and repetition are what you need to learn your arithmetic. Eventually I got to the point where I see two numbers and automatically know their sum or product. And you really only need to know anything up to 10x10 because anything after that is just learning the process of how to work with larger numbers. With addition it is knowing how to carry. In multiplication it is repetitive multiplications of numbers less than 10 followed by addition of the results.

When you get to a more advanced level, you can learn other tips and tricks to make the process easier, especially if you don't have pen and paper to work it out. Multiplying 39 times 79 the traditional way would be hard to do in your head. But if you look at it instead as (40-1)*(80-1), then it becomes easier if you know the distributive property multiplication.

Once you have mastered arithmetic and know algebraic principles, then that give you a good grasp on the language of mathematics. Then the more advanced stuff comes much easier. The problem I saw in teaching intermediate algebra in college is that a lot of people really struggled with those basic algebraic principles.

CaptainSolo1138
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Two things:
How are our SSG's teacher's health holding up?Better than I expected *knocks wood*. We had a nasty bug go around our house the past week but its hard to say where it came from given me in my school, my wife working in a daycare and our kids in a different daycare. There is about 300 different people it could've came from!

2-1B
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Serious question here, no intent to flame or incite argument of Rancor Pit proportions, but what is the general attitude in everyone's communities toward teachers and specifically teacher's unions?

Growing up, I always heard how great teachers are but since I've gotten older, I have noticed some anti-teacher union sentiment. Maybe it's just the political nature and people separate the two...but I'm curious what it's like in other states.

Again, I'm not trying to start any political debate here.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Health? So far, so good. But I may just have jinxed myself by typing that. :rolleyes: Might be due to the warmer weather not allowing colds/viruses/etc. to grow easily.

Unions? Here it's pretty good, both from my own perspective and the community's, I think.

TeeEye7
11-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Serious question here, no intent to flame or incite argument of Rancor Pit proportions, but what is the general attitude in everyone's communities toward teachers and specifically teacher's unions?

I just asked Mrs. TI7 and she reminded me that over the summer, teachers in her school district were considering job actions as the muckity-mucks weren't taking salary negotiations seriously. The teachers sent out a lot of info to parents as to what was happening and in return, were supported by them. Thankfully, her school district has always enjoyed a high volume of parent participation at the school site and the PTA. Parents in our area are well versed in the amount of resources (money/materials) teachers put back into their classrooms and are appreciative. I would have to give the attitude towards teachers a :thumbsup: in my area. As for the teacher's union, I would say the average parent is ambivalent and that the average union member is rather lukewarm about their union. It hasn't been very effective over the years for the membership and too chicken to address the fact that No Child Left Behind is a failure and should be abolished. Teachers should be left alone to teach and not jump through Federal hoops or face threats in order to receive funding.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
It always bothered me when I would hear of school teachers on strike. As one who competed in sports, I wondered how that would have affected me had I been attending a striking school. I'm not sure if those schools were able to have practice for their sports during the strike time, or if they were able to compete. It might have been easier for my sport, because I could have run on my own, but football teams need to practice together to be able to execute their plays and be prepared for their opponents. These are once in a lifetime opportunities for these kids as they look forward to having a successful senior year and a chance to go out on a positive note. Some may be trying to make it to the next level and get a college scholarship.

I remember seeing a thing in the local paper about the average starting salary of teachers at the various local schools around the time I was in college. I think it ranged from around $19,000 to $23,000 depending on the school district. Several years later when I started working, it took me three years of work before I reached that level. At that point, the average teacher salary was probably more. I had two years of grad school, so I had as much school as most beginning teachers. To become a teacher, you have to go into a program specifically designed to train teachers, so I would think that they must have a passion to do it, and would have time enough to realize what they were getting into.

CaptainSolo1138
11-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm currently in a charter school right now (non-union) and can definitely see why people prefer union schools. My host teacher is in her fourth year and has a master's plus 15 credits towards her second and barely clears $30,000 a year. In her 4 years there she has seen a 2% pay increase. Needless to say, her second master's is in administration and she is on her way out ASAP.

What's funny is that the company that runs the school can't seem to figure out why there is such a high turnover rate.:rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
I worked 8 years before I made that much. If she has only seen a 2% increase, then she was almost making that to start with ($29,400 x 1.02 = $29,998). At the point I reached that level, I had saved up enough for a down payment on a house and moved out of my parents house. I was able to get by on that amount. My situation would have been even better if I didn't collect Star Wars

I guess it comes down to what it is you really want to do and what is acceptable compensation for the work you do. I'm just glad to have a job, and one in which I seem to have found a niche.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
I worked 8 years before I made that much. If she has only seen a 2% increase, then she was almost making that to start with ($29,400 x 1.02 = $29,998). At the point I reached that level, I had saved up enough for a down payment on a house and moved out of my parents house. I was able to get by on that amount. My situation would have been even better if I didn't collect Star Wars

I guess it comes down to what it is you really want to do and what is acceptable compensation for the work you do. I'm just glad to have a job, and one in which I seem to have found a niche.

Totally with you there. Granted, I don't pay much as my apartment is roughly 450, including garage and utilities and cable is 110 with another 25 for gas and 10 or so for electric. I don't buy as many figures as I used to as there isn't that much out there and i've REALLY REALLY cut back on game/DVD purchases. I finally start paying back my loans here soon at $650 a month. I've been doing really well to save for it, but my nerves won't let me rest that i'll be alright. I'll be working another job over christmas break hopefully while still getting my university paycheck and I have tax return in feb or so. I just need to chillax, keep watching my $$ and i'll be good to go.

On my teaching end, I had a student lift the first paragraph of their last paper from Wiki; it was really REALLY obvious, a complete change in tone that was so blatant. I smelled something was up, headed to google, typed in the first two lines and BAM, a wikipedia entry came up. I told the student that i'm not an idiot and that I can figure this stuff out. They sort of stumbled on their words and reasoning; I told them I was only going to fail them on this paper and if I saw it again, I would not hesitate to end their academic career by getting them kicked out of school. Do kids today think we're all idiots?!?!?!!

Right now, i've assigned final research papers and portfolios that are due in Mid December. We only have a few more actual classes, then conferences, turkey day break, and then student presentations. Thus, my actual work days should be over in two weeks and I concentrate on making the syllabi for my four classes in the spring. And I totally planned it this way! :)

My dept. chair sent out this GREAT e-mail. I think she got it elsewhere, but it's great.

"Did I miss anything?"- Frequently asked by students after they miss class.

Here are some replies you can use:

- Nothing. When we realized you weren't here, we sat with our hands folded on our desks in silence, for the full two hours.

- Everything. I gave an exam worth 40 per cent of the grade for this term and assigned some reading due today on which I'm about to hand out a quiz worth 50 per cent.

- Nothing. None of the content of this course has value or meaning. Take as many days off as you like: any activities we undertake as a class I assure you will not matter, either to you or me and are without purpose.

- Everything. A few minutes after we began last time a shaft of light descended and an angel or other heavenly being appeared and revealed to us what each woman or man must do to attain divine wisdom in this life and the hereafter. This is the last time the class will meet before we disperse to bring this good news to all people on earth.

- Nothing. When you are not present how could something significant occur?

- Everything. Contained in this classroom is a microcosm of human existence assembled for you to query and examine and ponder. This is not the only place such an opportunity has been gathered but it was one place. And you weren't here.

I loved this e-mail. I get irritated when I get that question, but it doesn't irk me nearly as much as "What are we doing today?" ("Hey, if you read the syllabus, you'd know!") or "how long do you plan on keeping us today?" ("as long as I feel like you need to be taught......maybe all night?")

:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
That is a great e-mail!

That "one-ups" all those "my grandmother died" excuses you must hear incessantly when assignments aren't turned in on time by your students!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I have developed a skill in recognizing the "excuse posture." After they straighten their shoulders, lower their voice, and sort of make eye contact, I let them tell me their story (facinating details... if only their writing was so precise and descriptive), then remind them of my rules and the time given and my reminders. 99.9% of the time, they're not all that effective in swaying me. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I have developed a skill in recognizing the "excuse posture." After they straighten their shoulders, lower their voice, and sort of make eye contact, I let them tell me their story (facinating details... if only their writing was so precise and descriptive), then remind them of my rules and the time given and my reminders. 99.9% of the time, they're not all that effective in swaying me. :rolleyes:
Do you ever use the "Do you feel you're being treated unfairly" line in a deep foreboding voice?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I get that some of the time too. But I remind them at the beginning of the semester that I only allow five unexcused absences and then they don't get any credit for the class (the university likes us to say "no credit" instead of "fail") and it's not my problem. I had a student who had missed around 15 classes and then e-mailed me out of the blue to know what was on the agenda for the following days class. I almost laughed to the point of tears.

But very rarely do students try to argue with me regarding their unexcused absences. I've been told i'm pretty intimidating due to my size, stature, and that I go wide eyed when I need to. Plus, I have a beard now, so kids don't give me too much guff. I've made one girl cry (after she left class, mind you). lol

I just don't get them sometimes. I gave one of my classes a night off as Elie Wiesel came to the area to speak and since I called off their class, I gave them an optional extra credit assignment: go listen to Wiesel speak, write up a 3-4 page blurb about what he said, what topics he touched on, etc. etc. NOT ONE DAMN STUDENT did it. I was.....flabbergasted. Elie gave a tremendous speech about morals, politics, humanity, and how to improve our world and they just blew it off. I was shocked.

But alas, a few more weeks left in the semester. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
There must have been something really cool on MTV that night.

JetsAndHeels
11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I gave one of my classes a night off as Elie Wiesel came to the area to speak and since I called off their class, I gave them an optional extra credit assignment: go listen to Wiesel speak, write up a 3-4 page blurb about what he said, what topics he touched on, etc. etc. NOT ONE DAMN STUDENT did it. I was.....flabbergasted. Elie gave a tremendous speech about morals, politics, humanity, and how to improve our world and they just blew it off. I was shocked.

Give it some time. After a while you won't be shocked anymore, unfortunately.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Give it some time. After a while you won't be shocked anymore, unfortunately.My kids often ask for extra credit, and when there are times I offer it, they balk at it because it involves "work" on their part. Too used to the extra credit for doing basically nothing in earlier grades. How many of you recall extra credit in college? On the job? From the IRS come tax time? Life skills, students; it's all about teaching you to be prepared for life.

p.s. I sure would've loved to have been there! I teach his novel Night at times, and have heard several Holocaust survivors speak in person. Wonderful resource for them, wasted. :(

JetsAndHeels
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
My kids often ask for extra credit, and when there are times I offer it, they balk at it because it involves "work" on their part. Too used to the extra credit for doing basically nothing in earlier grades. How many of you recall extra credit in college? On the job? From the IRS come tax time? Life skills, students; it's all about teaching you to be prepared for life.

Kids have no real idea that good grades and rewards are earned.

I get sick and tired of hearing them complain about their pi$$ poor grades, but won't lift a damn finger to change it.

I do not give out good grades, I make them work for it. So far it has made me unpopular, but that is not what the teaching profession is about.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Give it some time. After a while you won't be shocked anymore, unfortunately.

oh, i've never been shocked about student laziness, but I thought listening to a survivor of Nazi Germany and its horrors would get their curiosity going and they'd at least think about going.

p.s. I sure would've loved to have been there! I teach his novel Night at times, and have heard several Holocaust survivors speak in person. Wonderful resource for them, wasted. :(

It was pretty amazing, dude. Here is the blurb I posted about it on my blog:

Elie, as many of you know, is the author of many books of fiction and non-fiction. Most of you are probably familiar with NIGHT, the non-fiction book based on his experiences as a Jewish prisoner in Auschwitz and then in Buchenwald. He was giving a speech, which was titled, "What the Ancient Masters Can Teach Us About Confronting Fanaticism and Building Moral Unity in a Diverse Society." I got out of my 5:15 class at about 6:35 or so. They weren't scheduled to open the doors for seats until 7 pm, but I saw hordes of people walking into the student union and figured I should investigate. It's a good thing I did as they were seating early and there was already a lot of folks sitting down. I found a seat in the last row to the right, but where i was sitting, it was between the right and center sections, if you read me. Essentially, I was right/center. I didn't want to get too close as I really didn't need to and that way I could make a speedy exit when it was over.

It was a really fantastic speech. He made a few jokes to open the night, commenting on how he was asked to talk about three topics instead of one. He came up with the three topics and decided to merge them back into one. He talked about various Biblical characters, Philosophers, etc, and what they teach us and how we implement that into our everyday lives. It was a really interesting and great speech. I wish I would have brought a voice recorder cos I would have LOVED to have had the audio. I think my favorite comment of the night was probably when he said, "Without learning there is only ignorance. And ignorance cannot help civilization." I'm probably messing it up towards the end, but that was the gist. He talked about the importance of learning and how essential it is.

Wiesel also has a great sense of humor about him. He was talking about various Biblical characters and came to Noah. He listed reasons why he doesn't like Noah, and they included that he's too obedient, doesn't ask questions when he should, and he also stated that he had a circus on his boat. He also made a few political comments as well. Wiesel discussed the racist times in the south during the 1950's and how if he was told then that an african american would be running for President, he would have been much happier. He then added, "And on the other side, we have a woman....let's just forget who she is!" It was great. I'm really happy and honored that I got to hear him speak. If you get a chance somehow, I really suggest you go see him.

My friend also mentioned she liked some quotes (also fairly jacked up):

"None of us is a beginning. Even Adam and Eve were at the end of creation. The best we can do is begin again."

"Madness is never the result of uncertainty, but of certainty. Fanatics have no questions, only answers, and thus they are BORED, prisoners in their own minds"
"Language is at the origin of everything that affects us"

and I thought of the following:

"So, God asks Adam where he is? Why is God asking Adam where he is? He's God! He knew where Adam was, but he wanted to see if Adam knew where he was."

"Why did God wait till the last day to make men and women? By that time he was tired. Why didn't he do that first?!?!"

:thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
right now i'm in my office during the second day of student conferences. This gives the student time to find out their grade at the moment, talk with me about the semester, and most importantly, ask me questions about their impending 300 point research paper that's due in three weeks.

Yesterday I was here from 9:30-4:45 with only about one student who didn't show up.

Today, totally different story. Out of the 13 conferences that I had scheduled for today, i've had seven not show up. It's pretty rude and irritating, but on a side note, it did allow me time to finish the second and final syllabus I had to complete for next semester. hehehe :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I got to participate in my first random locker search today. So joker was giving away his Adderol (sp?) and then proceeded to name names. This gave us enough cause to look through about three dozen lockers on a random basis.

we found a lighter. While that is GREAT news for the school, I was hoping for something a bit more exciting.

Oh, and we found a half dozen condoms. While they are certainly an odd thing to have at school, they're not "contraband".

El Chuxter
11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
They don't even have lockers in California anymore. It's weird, I think, since they still have about fifty pounds of books.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
And with a law regarding accessibilty to materials, in combination with budget issues, our school really can't have class sets anymore. So there's more to lug around. I feel bad for the kids, and in response, seldom require them to bring the books to school; therefore, they sit at home, unused most of the time. :upset:

I feel beaten up, figuratively speaking, and am quite pleased that our Thanksgiving break begins at 2:45:01 tomorrow. :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
They don't even have lockers in California anymore. It's weird, I think, since they still have about fifty pounds of books.

And the kids have the back problems to prove it! :rolleyes:

Maradona
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
NOT ONE DAMN STUDENT did it. I was.....flabbergasted. Elie gave a tremendous speech about morals, politics, humanity, and how to improve our world and they just blew it off. I was shocked.

Blowing off work is inexcusable. It never stops bothering me when my students fail to appreciate something as much as I do. But over the years, I've come to accept that most students will NOT love the same things I do or "get" the importance I see in them. Their experience with the material will be different and I would argue it should be different. I still get upset and the kids need to see me disappointed in order to understand how valuable whatever it was that they ignored truly is. I remind students that they should worry about the teachers who are unmoved when their students fail to demonstrate learning and interest.

TeeEye7
12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Happy Holidays to all of you hard-working teachers! Enjoy your brief time off!

My wife is still decompressing and not quite in holiday mode yet. I'm hoping for a transition any moment! :crossed fingers:

No Grinches allowed!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2008, 06:26 PM
All my grading-to-get-to is still in a pile on the floor (which is actually less than I'd expected to take home with me due to a school emergency evacuation before the last two periods of the day Friday). I am trying to distance myself from the nitty-gritty parts of school until perhaps '09. But the thoughts are there, lingering like the Dark Side. :evil: :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
I finished grading research papers and portfolios for 61/80 students on the 12th. I actually graded for about 10 hours on that wednesday, thursday, and then for about 8 hours on that friday before I was done. So far, no hate mail yet and I've had probably about 10 kids stop by my office last week to pick them up.

So, my vacation actually started at 4pm on friday, december 12th when I went to the faculty christmas party, where there was LOTS of wine and beer and lots of great food. I was pretty content.

Now, i'm just relaxing till classes start on Jan 12th; i need to brush up on word and excel for a class i'm teaching and i'm working on an article for the Pennsylvania CFP that discusses the antihero in graphic novels. Good times. hahaha :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM

My wife is still decompressing and not quite in holiday mode yet. I'm hoping for a transition any moment! :crossed fingers:

No Grinches allowed!

My transition to holiday mode came early this year. For starters, our last day of school was supposed to be Friday, December 19th. That means 5 days off before the big day. And two weeks off before reconvening in January. Our district is accustomed to going right to December 23rd.

However mother nature intervened with an early Christmas present by giving us a wicked snowstorm on Friday morning. Even though the snow didn't arrive until 8 a.m., superintendents across the region canceled school in unison well before that time.

I kinda had a feeling the night before on Thursday that we might not have snow. Local meteorologists hyped the storm up prior and the last words from our superintendent during the teacher's Christmas party was to "check the radio tomorrow," for weather reports.

Now, I normally am giddy about snow days but the fact is the last day before break is a special day filled with parties and such. I usually give my students a light workload during the day by doing Holiday related puzzles and games. We were in the process of finishing our novel "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." I had planned on showing Mickey's Christmas Carol.

I still had a gift to finish for the parents of my students too (I did luckily send one home the real last day of school). I am sure we will have the party after break but it won't be the same. Guess I can't complain with having time off.

Happy Holidays to all SSG members, teachers, their spouses, or not! :thumbsup:

BCJ, can you elaborate on your early release on your last day before break?

JetsAndHeels
12-24-2008, 05:13 PM

No Grinches allowed!

Thanks TeeEye7. I have been enjoying it so far. I have until January 7th, and I intend to do as little as possible!!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Happy Holidays to all SSG members, teachers, their spouses, or not! :thumbsup:

BCJ, can you elaborate on your early release on your last day before break?Someone put some dry ice in a trashcan in the cafeteria, mixed with some other chemical, creating a noxious gas cloud that required fire, police, and haz mat teams about three hours to contain (we were to keep our students in our classrooms until then). Sent 22 students and staff to the hospital. Happy holidays, punks. :mad:

Maradona
12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Someone put some dry ice in a trashcan in the cafeteria, mixed with some other chemical, creating a noxious gas cloud that required fire, police, and haz mat teams about three hours to contain (we were to keep our students in our classrooms until then). Sent 22 students and staff to the hospital. Happy holidays, punks. :mad:

Ouch. And here I thought LA schools were bad...

TeeEye7
12-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Yea! My wife is now recognizable! Decompression complete! She's now enjoying the last week of her vacation....just in time for me to go back to work tonight! :cross-eye

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Yea! My wife is now recognizable! Decompression complete! She's now enjoying the last week of her vacation....just in time for me to go back to work tonight! :cross-eye

I've had 17 days off (I earned a snow day on the last day scheduled--December 19th) and 11 work days off (which is 2 less than what my brother receives for the whole year). Now I and Tee Eye's wife will be back in grinch mode. :mad:

TeeEye7
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I've had 17 days off (I earned a snow day on the last day scheduled--December 19th) and 11 work days off (which is 2 less than what my brother receives for the whole year). Now I and Tee Eye's wife will be back in grinch mode. :mad:

....and all too soon, my friend! :(
I'm breaking out my helmet and Kevlar as we speak.........

BTW: Good luck to all of you returning to the grind.

Life is MUCH better with a happy Mrs. TI7 and LBC!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I somehow have another week of vacation left. I don't know how it happened, but UT gave us more time than usual, which is nuts! I haven't taught a class since late november, if that!

Next sunday will be rough, but i still have a week to worry about it. hehehe :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I have to go back tomorrow, but it is a teacher workday. The students do not return until Tuesday.

Still, it should be an interesting day. It will be the first official day on the job for our new principal. We have a breakfast/meeting with him first thing to discuss some matters. Hopefully it will be a nice, smooth transition.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm curious: how many of you teachers either LOVE (:rolleyes: ) or HATE (:mad: ) to miss work? I got my pay stub from the 1st, and I have 49 days of off-time left. Our district doesn't divide them into sick/personal/miscellaneous categories; you just have to call/type in your reason when making the request. Not sure how long I can keep roling over unused days.

I've missed one day in the last year and a half, and probably no more than 10 days in my 6 1/2 years teaching. I really have never liked missing school, work, or other scheduled tasks in my life.

Maradona
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe I should preface this by stating that I'm not married nor am I a parent, but I hate missing work. This is my 8th year in the classroom and I have missed 8 days that whole time (5 of which came the first year when I caught pneumonia). We get 10 days a year for sick time, so I've got a bank of 72 days to spend. Even when I feel ill, I go to work because the kids make me feel better. Once I'm a husband and father, this habit will likely change, but neither of those roles are coming anytime soon.

TeeEye7
01-13-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm curious: how many of you teachers either LOVE (:rolleyes: ) or HATE (:mad: ) to miss work? I got my pay stub from the 1st, and I have 49 days of off-time left. Our district doesn't divide them into sick/personal/miscellaneous categories; you just have to call/type in your reason when making the request. Not sure how long I can keep roling over unused days.

I've missed one day in the last year and a half, and probably no more than 10 days in my 6 1/2 years teaching. I really have never liked missing school, work, or other scheduled tasks in my life.

Mrs. TI7 has missed a few more days than you, but not many more. She LOVES her kiddies and goes to school sick more often than not (against my wishes).

Like BCJ, she's very dedicated to her work; and I'm very proud of her. (Just as I'm impressed by BCJ's dedication). I think they both do it for the love of the job. It's certainly not because of the money! (ZILCH!)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Like BCJ, she's very dedicated to her work; and I'm very proud of her. (Just as I'm impressed by BCJ's dedication). I think they both do it for the love of the job. It's certainly not because of the money! (ZILCH!)But, don't the $50 cover charges, come final exam time, make up for that? Whoops! Wasn't 'posed to mention that...

BTW, it's final exam time this week. Two classes down today, three to go. So far, essays seem okay.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I have kept statistics on students' grades in connection to numbers of missing assignments, and even though I put up the updated charts on the board (with quite clear meanings and causes), the pattern stays pretty much the same. If you will excuse an English teacher some time for math and science...

GRADES EARNED BY NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS MISSED
(over a 6.5 year period)
0 missed:
A = 107
B = 25
C = 2
D = 0
F = 0

1-5 missed:
A = 178
B = 222
C = 69
D = 8
F = 0

6-9 missed:
A = 21
B = 84
C = 118
D = 42
F = 9

10+ missed:
A = 0
B = 32
C = 150
D = 190
F = 264

Striking results? No As earned if missed 10+ in the semester, but also no Fs earned if missed 0-5 assignments.

Here's to a great spring semester here, and in all your schools and classes! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
01-17-2009, 10:53 PM
At dinner tonight, my wife was complaining that her 3rd grade class may only be able to go on one, maybe two, field trips this year because her school district has been deemed a "Program Improvement District"....meaning her school district is not maintaining the (unattainable) test scores the state has decreed they should be achieving. (That's because her district has the audacity to have a large enrollment of lower economic kids...not to mention migrant kids...instead of rich, whitebread-given-every-opportunity kids). Although her school site is meeting the goals, the district as a whole is not. So let's spank everybody!

Translation: the state is taking away educational opportunities (i.e. field trips) from the kids in order for the kids to excel in their studies by always remaining at the school site. Yep. Let's penalize the kids by restricting their education. That will give them incentive to learn!

Thank you, No Child Left Behind! :rolleyes:

The state-sponsored Dumbing-Down of America continues.......

Mad Slanted Powers
01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
That's probably as many or more field trips than what I went on in elementary school. I would think that would just mean more class time to focus on improving the kids' skills. You seem to be saying that low income and migrant kids aren't as intelligent. If not, then their situation should be more motivation to do well so that they can improve their situation.

TeeEye7
01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
You seem to be saying that low income and migrant kids aren't as intelligent.

No, I'm not saying that at all! I'm saying their situations are different. Family economics, family support/involvement of their kids' education are not the same as the average white, middle class kid.

My wife's school is a Magnet school (meaning specialized after school programs to draw minorities and lower-economic students) and a California Distinguished School (meaning, in a nutshell, academically strong and meeting state standards). Because her school exposes kids to new things that they are otherwise unable to experience, they flourish! My wife's class has historically gone to the local college's planetarium and then down to the LA Science Museum and the LA Museum of Natural History. Trips like this kick-start the students to excel in their studies. It's been proven time and time again at her school. And I'm talking poor kids, migrant kids, rich kids. Given the opportunity, it equals the field....it doesn't matter what the kid's background may be. I've worked with my wife's kids in the past (on science projects). I know the neighborhoods they live in because in my law enforcement duties, I'm there--much too often. These are bright kids! My complaint is the state is taking that opportunity away. In no way am I insulting anyone's intelligence, MSP, quite the contrary! I'm defending these kid's opportunity to learn and be motivated by experiencing something more than just the four walls of the classroom.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
In no way am I insulting anyone's intelligence, MSP.

I will. I have a student in one of my classes this semester who didn't pass the prereq course for my class. How do I know this?

I failed them last semester in the prereq course. (le sigh) That was an awkard e-mail.

TeeEye7
01-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I guess they didn't go on field trips!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-18-2009, 12:41 AM
I had very few field trips, and nothing near as interesting as what you described, and I graduated first in my class. I had a comfortable upbringing, but nothing exceptional. My dad was a fisherman, and my mom worked at Sears for a long time, though she quit that years before I was born. I was the only one in my family to go to college. Perhaps if I had more field trips, I might have been inspired to do something greater, but maybe not. For most kids, a field trip will just be a chance to get out of school for a bit, and maybe some will look back and think that was a cool thing to have seen.

I think that during these economic conditions, it is important to consider how to get the most out of our education dollars. It might be cheaper to have someone from the museum or whatever to come to the school and give a presentation. That saves the expense of traveling, and the time it would take to get there. It also makes it easier to keep the attention of the children. On a field trip, kids are more likely to be horsing around and not paying attention. They do that sort of thing in class, but they are easier to monitor there.

I am curious as to how the state is able to control whether or not a school or a particular class can or cannot go on a field trip. Is it just a reduction of funds that is resulting in this? If so, then see my previous paragraph. Teachers and administrators should be finding ways to make their dollars go the farthest while helping the kids the most. If teachers feel that field trips are essential, then they should try and convince administrators and school board members to allocate money for such trips, and find ways to cut costs elsewhere.

TeeEye7
01-18-2009, 05:27 AM
I think it's time the other teachers on the boards jump in here an explain just how the feds have a choke hold on the money for state funding if they don't get their way for unreasonable goals (read:NCLB).

They also need to jump in and state that the feds need to go away and let the teachers do their work. They're competent, if not down right great. Let them do their work without harebrained interference from so-called administrators who have lost contact with reality when it comes to educating our kids. Leave 'em alone and they'll produce an army of brainiacs who will efficiently lead us into the future if given the chance.

¡Que se vayan políticos! ¡Deje que los maestros enseñan a los niños!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Let's not send this wonderful thread on the musings of pre-teachers, beginning teachers, current "veterans," and former teachers to the pit of rancor. But there is some political nature to teaching.

As a state- or federally-run "business," there are certain things that schools and/or teachers must do, and some of that funding comes from what is at that particular school: makeup of student population (ethnicity, socioeconomic status, amount of special needs students, local community resorces, etc.). In order to keep that funding, things are required to go a certain way. If a teacher can fund on her/his own, and if that is legally allowed, that's one thing. But if you want the state/federal money, yous got's to do it right.

This leads to many frustrations. My school would be deemed at "high socioeconomic status," so we get little outside funding beyond what teachers and parents provide. It is a high school, so not many field trips for the older kids anymore (:( ), but there sure is a lot of digging into one's own pockets. And much of this funding is tied to those lovely test results... but there can be a vicous circle: if you maintain levels, it's bad. If you do too well, you can lose some money, but if you go down, well, you all suck and we'll jsut take some toys away from you until you learn to do things the right way. Or, we'll simply come in and take over the school ourselves :eek: (that's the worst consequence).

There are simple solutions, as least as seen to those outside it, but the machinery moving all the parts doesn't make that as easy to do as it might appear. And education doesn't take too kindly to change. Even logical change.

TeeEye7
01-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Let's not send this wonderful thread on the musings of pre-teachers, beginning teachers, current "veterans," and former teachers to the pit of rancor. But there is some political nature to teaching.

As a state- or federally-run "business," there are certain things that schools and/or teachers must do, and some of that funding comes from what is at that particular school: makeup of student population (ethnicity, socioeconomic status, amount of special needs students, local community resorces, etc.). In order to keep that funding, things are required to go a certain way. If a teacher can fund on her/his own, and if that is legally allowed, that's one thing. But if you want the state/federal money, yous got's to do it right.

This leads to many frustrations. My school would be deemed at "high socioeconomic status," so we get little outside funding beyond what teachers and parents provide. It is a high school, so not many field trips for the older kids anymore (:( ), but there sure is a lot of digging into one's own pockets. And much of this funding is tied to those lovely test results... but there can be a vicous circle: if you maintain levels, it's bad. If you do too well, you can lose some money, but if you go down, well, you all suck and we'll jsut take some toys away from you until you learn to do things the right way. Or, we'll simply come in and take over the school ourselves :eek: (that's the worst consequence).

There are simple solutions, as least as seen to those outside it, but the machinery moving all the parts doesn't make that as easy to do as it might appear. And education doesn't take too kindly to change. Even logical change.

Well, said sir. Thank you.

Maradona
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I teach at a 16 year old, California Distinguished, National Blue Ribbon, Magnet public high school and after reading the previous posts, I am compelled to interject myself in this discussion. Our school's SES (socioeconomic status) is sooooo low that it is often saddening. Despite this status, our kids kick academic tail. Yet, does the state or district send us any funding to match the funding they pour (and i fought the urge to type "waste") on academically failing schools? Our funding per student is not even close to what schools with around half our API get. That scholastic financial support does not get where it should is no new thing. But let me assure you, "poor" schools are not guaranteed money based solely on that fact.

Our scores on the seemingly constant tests that the state and district send our way, our graduation and college admittance rates, our kids' and teachers' tenacity have gotten a medium sized school 10 minutes outside downtown LA national accolades. But field trips, new books, more computers? I guess a jedi craves not these things...

A note on the magnet program: it is designed not to weed out "weak" students, but to weed out "weak" parents. To get into the magnet program, parents have to start applying when their kids are in elementary school. The kids at our school have the key component for success: PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT. No factor guarantees anything, but if a kid has someone at home that keeps the ipod, internet, guitar hero, or whatever shut off until the homework is done correctly, then maybe that kid has a better chance at school than the one who text messaged away his or her future all night long while the parent was too busy to notice.

TeeEye7
01-20-2009, 04:01 AM
A note on the magnet program: it is designed not to weed out "weak" students, but to weed out "weak" parents. To get into the magnet program, parents have to start applying when their kids are in elementary school. The kids at our school have the key component for success: PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT. No factor guarantees anything, but if a kid has someone at home that keeps the ipod, internet, guitar hero, or whatever shut off until the homework is done correctly, then maybe that kid has a better chance at school than the one who text messaged away his or her future all night long while the parent was too busy to notice.

This is one of the best explanations of a Magnet school that I've ever heard! Excellent! In my awkward way, this is what I was getting at. Those kids who don't have the parental support at home still have a chance to be salvaged when they are exposed to other educationally stimulating things, such as field trips, as teacher or other mentors can step up and encourage them to succeed. Parents (especially parents), teachers, or mentors are the key to a child's success!

Thanks, Maradona!

El Chuxter
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
"California Distinguished School" means nothing. All they have to do is get their act together when they're visited, fudge the statistics, and lie on the paperwork. Mrs Chux's school is a California Distinguished School, and it's gotta be the biggest POS school I've ever seen.

Maradona
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
"California Distinguished School" means nothing.

I beg to differ, Mr. Chux. It means that California has an excuse to reduce your school's funding.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
In the last couple of days, we've gotten phone messages, emails, fliers, and various rumors and stories about the cuts our district is expecting. Worst rumor heard: ALL teachers with less than 10 years experience will get pink slips just in case. That'd include me. :cry: Definite fact: over $10 million in cuts over the next two years. :(

Maradona
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
In the last couple of days, we've gotten phone messages, emails, fliers, and various rumors and stories about the cuts our district is expecting. Worst rumor heard: ALL teachers with less than 10 years experience will get pink slips just in case. That'd include me. :cry: Definite fact: over $10 million in cuts over the next two years. :(

My district is a few hundred million in the whole. Massive cuts are being discussed. All non-permanent teachers are expected to be laid off with others joining them seemingly an inevitability. A strike vote is looming and fears are high. I'm in my 8th year and can no longer imagine a life without working as a teacher. Worst case scenario, I move to Japan to teach English and live in the future. :razz:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
My district is a few hundred million in the whole. Massive cuts are being discussed. All non-permanent teachers are expected to be laid off with others joining them seemingly an inevitability. A strike vote is looming and fears are high. I'm in my 8th year and can no longer imagine a life without working as a teacher. Worst case scenario, I move to Japan to teach English and live in the future. :razz:
A strike? Seriously? I would think it would be more important now just to have a job. And firing teachers is just going to mean larger classes. I would think that I'd rather take a pay cut and keep my job, thus allowing the district to save some money without firing as many people, and keeping class sizes more manageable.

I just found out today that starting next week, we will have our hours cut back
to 36 per week. This allowed us to not eliminate any positions, and I think we were unanimous in our appreciation.

El Chuxter
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
If his district is like my wife's, they keep something like eight million in the mandatory "rainy day fund," which they won't touch, claiming it's "for a rainy day."

Well, uh, what the hell is this?

They're closing an entire school in the district where she teaches! An entire frigging school! Though all the teachers who get canned won't necessarily be from there, those who teach there now and keep their jobs will displace other teachers somewhere.

Meanwhile, the superintendent makes a half-million a year, has his car, gas, and cell phone covered, and has an entire staff, each of whom make more than any teacher could hope to make in that profession.

That kind of disparity is why districts are considering going so far as to strike.

Maradona
02-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Well put, Mr. Chux. If it would keep me employed, I would take a reasonable cut and I want to believe most people would. Administrative cuts must coincide with this. Cuts must be balanced across the board because once they happen, whatever was lost is NOT coming back.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Our district does have its reserves (in fact, they say there shouldn't be anyone this year who is not paid, but for how many years after this, they obviously can't tell), so we've been told no IOUs. :thumbsup: But the state's pondering over eliminating classroom reduction is scary, as all the freshmen English teachers (me and 9 others) will add 16 or so students to each class, clearly dropping quite a few total classes. Bye-bye good test scores and strong foundation, district. :upset:

TeeEye7
04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Today is the last day of spring break (formally known as Easter Vacation) for my wife. She doesn't have the "back to work blues". Quite the contrary. She knows she only has about six weeks left in the school year and then summer vacation!

How much time do you have left before you're free at last!?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
How much time do you have left before you're free at last!?

For me, a few weeks, if that. I teach two classes tomorrow and then will be holding optional conferences on Wed, Thur, and next mon and tues, meaning no classes. I then have two days of presentations with their final projects due the last week in April. So, in theory, i'm about 95% done with one real day of teaching left. yay! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I have about 5 and a half more weeks, then I am home free!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Is it wrong to know we have 37 days left, with 3 of them as half days for final exams? :rolleyes:

Maradona
04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Is it wrong to know we have 37 days left, with 3 of them as half days for final exams? :rolleyes:

Not by my reckoning...

TeeEye7
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Closer, ever closer..........:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Our final day this year is June 25th. My classroom will be like a sauna the last few weeks and the students and teacher will just love it. :upset:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Our last day's 6/10, but next year, our district's changing the calendar and starting TWO WEEKS EARLIER!?! :upset: Shorter summer, and it'll be much hotter for the first part of the school year, but we'll be done before June starts. Ugh.

Now 32 days left...

JetsAndHeels
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Our last day's 6/10, but next year, our district's changing the calendar and starting TWO WEEKS EARLIER!?! :upset: Shorter summer, and it'll be much hotter for the first part of the school year, but we'll be done before June starts. Ugh.

Now 32 days left...

Our last day is May 21st...the exams for my classes are on May 13th, so I am practically done then.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
UT starts "layoffs across all campuses" next week, which is kinda nerve wracking. I survived the last round of them in December AND I'm listed as teaching a class in the fall (they haven't renewed my full-time contract yet. dammit), so i'm wondering if i'm at risk or what. It's a crappy situation as our Pres is focusing on turning the university into a "product" that is medical/tech driven, leaving out any notion of the arts and humanities. It's assinine. We're offering FREE enrollment for students with high GPA's and our enrollment is really high for next year. so, how this *** figures that UT can deliver a quality education with overstuffed classes and understaffing is beyond me.

I've talked to my superiors and bosses and they say that they can't imagine me NOT returning next year as a full-timer, but until I get a full-time schedule, i'm not holding my breath. It's not their fault at all, they're at the mercy of the system just like myself.

Needless to say, i'm sending out apps ALL over the country. Meh.

Also: Toni Morrison spoke here on friday and I guess slammed his ideas in front of a few thousand attendees; sorry I missed it. lol

TeeEye7
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Yesterday, my wife had called here aide to prepare for today's happening in their classroom. Somehow, the conversation progressed off topic and it was established that her aide and I went to school together. As a matter of fact, we were in the same second and fourth grade classes. I hadn't met her aide this year, and since she's been twice married and divorced, her last name wasn't familiar to me at all. Weirder still, she lived in Spain the same time I did! Strange coincidences! What do you call this, karma?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Strange coincidences! What do you call this, karma?Only if it's in a complete sentence and includes the question in your answer. :rolleyes:

Also: Toni Morrison spoke here on friday and I guess slammed his ideas in front of a few thousand attendees; sorry I missed it.Unless I'm greatly mistaken, author Toni Morrison is not a dude.

Our last day of Standardized testing was today. Woo hoo! :D

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Today our governor announced a half percent pay cut for all teachers in the months of May and June. That translates to $75 dollars being deducted from each check in those two months.

On top of that, teachers are being required to take 10 hours off in what the governor called "flexible furlough," between June 1 and Dec. 31.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Only if it's in a complete sentence and includes the question in your answer. :rolleyes:

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, author Toni Morrison is not a dude.

Our last day of Standardized testing was today. Woo hoo! :D

Yeah, Toni Morrison slammed his ideas, meaning the ideas of our president. I should've clarified that. lol :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
No prob. Teachers are always trying to clarify. :D

I had to use one of my remaining 44 leave days today: no voice and blowing my nose/coughing. :tired: My first day off in almost a year; lost my chance at the nonexistent perfect attendance award. :(

El Chuxter
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Toni Morrison was one of the speakers considered for our college graduation. But the president of the senior class, who was in charge of arrangements, instead picked the founder of some stupid clothing company (Abercrombie and Fitch, I think) because his son went to the college (and may have been a senior, I disremember). This was mainly because the son was a friend of the class president, who was a lazy fratboy.

So, yes, instead of a great speaker who is the only living American recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, we got a boring-arse guy who sells crappy "distressed" clothing and can't speak publicly to save his life.

Gotta love campus politics.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Found out today that my contract for next year was renewed; THANK GOD. This means i'll stay full-time with my usual salary, which is pretty nice. I was worried that I would have to work two jobs next year, teaching and retail, but alas, things look much better. I was so relieved when I got the call as it had been weighing on my mind for months and now I can finally enjoy my summer.

And speaking of summer, I got my *****iest student e-mail a few weeks ago; a student that I failed told me that my class was "boring as hell" and that they "didn't learn anything" and blah blah blah. I wanted to tell them that perhaps if they had showed up more than a few times during the last 6-7 weeks, this person might have learned something. My best reply was something along the lines of "I see that you took the time to e-mail me about your grade. If you had that sort of initiative in class, you might have passed" but I ignored this idea as it's best not to reply, IMHO. I talked to my superior about the situation in case they contacted them (which they "threatened" to do, which made me laugh even harder) and she told me if this person called, she had the info to set them straight. I mean, if you miss 6-7 weeks of class, two paper assignments, bomb a final project worth 475 points, etc, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Kids these days...

I also found out a few weeks ago that an article I wrote about the antihero in graphic novels is being published next year! Booya!

and one of my bosses sent me this and it made me giggle, hard:

English as an International Communications Medium

The European Union commissioners have announced that an agreement has been
reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English
spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased
plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly sivil
servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters
kan have one less letter. There will be a growing publik enthusiasm in the
sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will
make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to
reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments
will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a
deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of
silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by
"z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from
words kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer
kombinations of leters.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze
forst pläs.
European Korespondent

Hope you folks liked it! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
05-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Some students (not all) want to whine and complain, and the process takes more effort than just doing the assigned work.

And I love the whole "class is boring" routine. Hello, it is not supposed to be all fun and games 24/7!! You have to work to earn a grade!!

Having said that, Tuesday is my last day before summer vacation, and I am soooo glad.

TeeEye7
05-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JMG: Congrats on the renewal! :thumbsup:

And as for your student, can you say "entitlement"? :rolleyes:

I think next year you should explain the school's policy with regard to grades and attendance; heavily punctuated with a recording of Darth Sidious' line: "Wipe them out. All of them", when it come to those students who fail to comply! :yes:

Maradona
05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
We have 19 days left at my school. 4 are minimum days and 1 is shortened. Can't wait for summer.

TeeEye7
05-24-2009, 11:05 PM
We have 19 days left at my school. 4 are minimum days and 1 is shortened. Can't wait for summer.

My wife has four days left. It's funny that we're only 100 miles north of LA yet the school districts are so different as to when school starts.

Maradona
05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
My wife has four days left. It's funny that we're only 100 miles north of LA yet the school districts are so different as to when school starts.

It would make sense to end now, CSTs were last week and APs the two weeks before. But that would mean my school district, LAUSD, made sense.

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
My last day is tomorrow, and I will only be there until noon or so. Then it's summer, who hoo!!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
My wife has four days left. It's funny that we're only 100 miles north of LA yet the school districts are so different as to when school starts.Next year, our district (and some, but not all, of some other local ones) is moving our start day to AUGUST 10?!? :confused: :mad: I don't normally use such an acronym, but WTF?!? (Why That Far... why, what'd you think it meant? :rolleyes: ). That'll really mess with parents' carpooling. I am not in favor of it, for several reasons, but what're ya gonna do...? :(

We have nine full days, plus three half days for final exams. But who's counting? :p

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Students return to school for us on August 10th. It is ok though because they get out earlier (they are already out for the year).

Mad Slanted Powers
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
That's nuts. In college, we went from the end of September to the first or second week of June. In high school, we started around Labor Day and got out about the same time in June, maybe a bit later. Of course making up snow days could add time, but we were always out before my birthday on June 16. I think in first and maybe second grade, we started at the end of August, and were able to get out a little earlier. Thus, when we went on a vacation to California, Disneyland and all those places weren't too crowded because most schools weren't out yet.

JimJamBonds
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
At my high school we started the week before Labor day and finished this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2009, 12:11 AM
I checked, and the US Constitution, from 1787 (or 1789, I forget) says that it's THE LAW that school begins in September. That settles that. :brusheshands: :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
My wife jettisoned the kiddies today. :tired:

Tomorrow is her last official day in the classroom until it starts all over again in August. She's signed up for two classes over the summer (early), and then she'll be free and clear to enjoy the rest of the summer. :pleased:

Free at last! Free at last! God Almighty free at last!

Maradona
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
3 weeks left for us. This year, our graduation ceremony is on Monday. So that means one extra Monday of service. Then we're off. Most summer school programs have been cut this year, from what I hear. I run one that is a type of independent study. This one is still scheduled to start July 6, but who knows. Last year it was cut due to low enrollment after two weeks, just in time for SDCC. If we can get that much time this year, I will be satisfied. I only work the summer program to cover additional expenses at SDCC.

TeeEye7
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
My poor little wife is now done for the year. She looks a bit shell-shocked. Kinda like a TV station when it goes off the air for the day.

And that concludes our broadcasting day......beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! *show Indian head test pattern*

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2009, 09:54 AM
My poor little wife is now done for the year. She looks a bit shell-shocked. Kinda like a TV station when it goes off the air for the day.

And that concludes our broadcasting day......beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! *show Indian head test pattern*Wow. That shows (pun not intended) how old we are, TI. TV not being on all the time? That's impossible... what if a fire breaks out locally? Or some nation has a natural disaster? Or Lindsay Lohan gets arrested? Or a new movie sells 14 more tickets? Or there's a new study on weight gain/loss? Or someone posts on a blog? Or a Tweet? Or someone's fingernail starts to grow?

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

TeeEye7
05-31-2009, 10:15 AM
What can I say? I grew up with a coal-burning TV set............ :yes:

Throw in another shovel full, will ya!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I finished the last of my four boxes of essays, notebooks, and grade recording. Show you how smart I am? I'm collecting MORE tomorrow! Hooray? Last day I'm giving for any work prior to the finals will be Thursday. June SHOULD always be the last month of school, but by this time next year, we'll be finished. Weird.

p.s. Tomorrow's pay day. Yeah!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-07-2009, 08:14 PM
14 days to go.

Ugh!!!!

But then :laugh: :love: :yes: :grin: :) :bandit: :squareeye :pleased: ;) lol :p :thumbsup:

Good for all the teaches (deliberately misspelled) on here who are done for the year. Get relaxing!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Tomorrow's the last day, but we have until Monday to submit our grades (I intend to have them done by Thu. or Fri. though). I'm done with one class completely, and about half of the two others so far.

Our school district had a contest with a local car dealership that all the students with perfect attendance went into a drawing for a free car (Chevy Cobalt, with fees paid, too! ), and one of my students won! She's a freshman, but won't drive for at least another year!

TeeEye7
06-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I just finished my stint of teaching in the Academy for the past two days. :tired: Great group of students, though. Most are older than our normal students we get (read: majority in their late 20's to early 30's...a couple beyond that...just the right age to train to be cops. They have some life experience!). They're college educated and/or ex-military. A very bright group indeed! Not a mouth breather among them. I really enjoy working with intelligent future cops instead of Mongos wanting handguns (they're just tools, morons!).

Due to budget concerns, I thought this was going to be our last Academy for quite some time, but good news for me! My smart-thinking Department has two more Academies scheduled for August! Which for me is great news! :greedy:! (More bucks on the side) .My Department is going to continue to provide edja-ma -kay-shun for students seeking a California Police Officers Standards and Testing Certificate (which still holds a lot of respect nationally in spite of the fact that my native state is a sinking ship). Smart thinking since continuing the Academies creates revenues for the Department....and me! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Like those energy water commercials say, "Now I'm done." Except, unlike those commercials, the paid endorsers don't still have three classes of final exams to grade and record, plus a classroom to clean and pack up. That's what's on the schedule for tomorrow and Friday. Then, reading books in the summer! :thumbsup: I am quite looking forward to that; starting my list (LISTS.... ) of books to get to already.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Done with grading, recording, printing, packing up, cleaning and clearing out, filing, labelling, lifting, opening, closing, locking, and turning in. I'm pooped.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Done with grading, recording, printing, packing up, cleaning and clearing out, filing, labelling, lifting, opening, closing, locking, and turning in. I'm pooped.You'll never be done with pooping.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 09:30 AM
You'll never be done with pooping.The anagram of "Sith" have many powers that some find, unnatural. :eek:

TeeEye7
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Today is Mrs. TI7's last day of class for the new curriculum/books/stuff/hoops she has to learn for next year. (She's also had a class last week as well).

At 4:30 this afternoon, she'll really be on vacation! :pleased:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
JMG: Congrats on the renewal! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it! I picked up my offer letter and I actually got a slight raise of 1K! Granted, that's only, what, 40-50 bucks extra a paycheck, but every little bit helps!! I also will be getting my own office, which will be fun, and lastly, i'm teaching a DL course in the spring, which makes me slightly nervous as i've never done that before.

I am enjoying my summer off though. I'm doing retail work, which blows, but i've saved a lot of $$ over the last year, so i'm not getting hit too hard. It is a paycut though, which sucks. Also, i've read about four books this summer though....for LEISURE! :shocked: Something that I haven't done in YEARS!

I read thus far:

PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES, which was hysterical, especially since a lot of the original content and themes were still in tact.

A MERCY- New Toni Morrison book which was decent. Way too much introspection and very little movement. The ending was good though.

IN COLD BLOOD- Really fascinating "non-fiction" work that I really enjoyed. Capote was definitely a fantastic author.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN- I thought this play was pretty bad. Willy Loman just isn't a good character; he's too whiny, self centered, arrogant, and worst of all, clueless and unwilling to adapt. The only interesting part was the "twist" about his son and the ending.

Now i'm reading the TALES OF H.P. LOVECRAFT! :thumbsup:

Glad other folks are done too. What are your summer plans??!?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Also, i've read about four books this summer though....for LEISURE! :shocked: Something that I haven't done in YEARS!

I read thus far:

PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES, which was hysterical, especially since a lot of the original content and themes were still in tact.

A MERCY- New Toni Morrison book which was decent. Way too much introspection and very little movement. The ending was good though.

IN COLD BLOOD- Really fascinating "non-fiction" work that I really enjoyed. Capote was definitely a fantastic author.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN- I thought this play was pretty bad. Willy Loman just isn't a good character; he's too whiny, self centered, arrogant, and worst of all, clueless and unwilling to adapt. The only interesting part was the "twist" about his son and the ending.

Now i'm reading the TALES OF H.P. LOVECRAFT! :thumbsup:

Glad other folks are done too. What are your summer plans??!?That's high on my list (LISTS... ) to do this summer, as it has been the past four or five ones. Am almost halfway through my third book (check out the "Reading" thread in Comics and Books for more of mine [and many others'] reading conquests).

Plans? Vacation to Grand Canyon via Williams train (3-4 days). Attend a couple school-related events (no more than 2 days total for each). See a few movies in theaters. Go to Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland (Sat. June 27). Sleep and rest (:zzz: ). Watch stuff on TV (although, it's mainly just baseball now as far as sports goes).

TeeEye7
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
It has begun.

My pleasant, loving wife is beginning her annual transformation into a........

TEACHER!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo! :Runs into the night with arms flailing over head:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo! :Runs into the night with arms flailing over head:Like Jar Jar running away from all the boomers he let loose?

DarthQuack
08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
My new girlfriend is a teacher. :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
My new girlfriend is a teacher. :love:You are out of high school, right? :rolleyes:

Let's take a look back...

Plans? Vacation to Grand Canyon via Williams train (3-4 days). Attend a couple school-related events (no more than 2 days total for each). See a few movies in theaters. Go to Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland (Sat. June 27). Sleep and rest (:zzx: ). Watch stuff on TV (although, it's mainly just baseball now as far as sports goes). Did the Grand Canyon trip, plus Kartchner Cavrerns near Tucson. School-related stuff was typical. USWD at DL was okay (smaller turnout than I expected). Slept as much as I could, I suppose. Saw at least 2 or 3 summer flicks. Getting Direct TV led to much more television watching.

Now I'm getting my classroom back in order, and still shopping for supplies.

TeeEye7
08-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Like Jar Jar running away from all the boomers he let loose?

Yes...and while shrieking like a little girl.:Ogre:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Every year, I create a new door sign for my classroom, and the last three years have matched the same theme that I have for my classes. Of my seven years where I began the year knowing where I was teaching:

- my name and subjects in an ESB-type logo
- a restaurant cafe menu
- a transparent hand (with the phrase "clearly you will have an impact on this class" on it)
- a "take a number/address" bulletin board/sign post paper (I did have one student [not on my rosters] ask me what jobs were available)
- a "speedometer" of the 180 days of the year (for the theme "Around the World in 180 Days" )
- an Etch-A-Sketch (for the long theme "Drawing on the Past, Presently, to Sketch Your Future" )
- and this year, a cereal box nutrition label (for the theme "Healthy Living and Learning" or something)

It's a fun way to remain creative. I also put a no electronic devices/food sign below it written as a joke (it starts with "two students walk into a classroom" :D ).

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Big shout-out to all you teachers! Hope you enjoyed a much-needed summer. My daughter is looking forward to 2nd grade, and I can't wait to get her out of the house! ;)

Seriously, she has an awesome teacher lined up this fall so we're really happy, but I wish our city paid such teachers better. :(

Rocketboy
08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
My new girlfriend is a teacher. :love:Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
You're hot for teacher.
I got it bad, so bad,
You're hot for teacher.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Classroom is locked up. Desks are in rows (although, I am short one desk for period 3's 38 students). First class starts at 7:58am PST on Monday, August 10, 2009 A.D. I am feeling an emotion prior to the start of this upcoming school year. :tired: :pleased: :rolleyes: :confused: :lipsrsealed: :yes: :sleeping::whip: :D

TeeEye7
08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Here's wishing you a good 2009-2010 school year, sir! :thumbsup:

....and to any others who may start tomorrow......

JetsAndHeels
08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I started today.

And I'm still alive!!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I think I had the best first day I've ever had today. :thumbsup: No problems (just a few annoyances), my a/c got fixed, did not have more students than desks. Alright! :D Just need 179 consecutive days like this...

Maradona
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
We start Sept. 9. I've been a teacher since 2001 and we've never started this late. The year ends June 28th, equally late. Supposedly, this is a one time thing to get the formerly tracked schools onto the same calendar with the traditional schools. Summer school ends for me tomorrow, then a week off before the summer bridge program for incoming 9th graders.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
We start Sept. 9. I've been a teacher since 2001 and we've never started this late. The year ends June 28th, equally late. Supposedly, this is a one time thing to get the formerly tracked schools onto the same calendar with the traditional schools. Summer school ends for me tomorrow, then a week off before the summer bridge program for incoming 9th graders.

So did you also start teaching in September of 2001? I started a college teaching job that same month, the week of the Two Towers. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I started student teaching fall semester '01. Interesting way to begin the path of education (and it was US History and Gov't, too).

DarthQuack
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
I can't believe how early some of you have to go back....that's kookie talk!! It should be after Labor Day.

Maradona
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
So did you also start teaching in September of 2001? I started a college teaching job that same month, the week of the Two Towers. :cry:

Yes, I did. My fourth day as a teacher was Sept. 11. In retrospect, I cannot imagine my career without the bonding that happened with my students that day. 8 years later, I still keep in contact with so many of them, many of whom are parents now and almost as old as I was when we met.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
We had our Back to School Night for the earliest ever last night: on the 8th day back from summer. That was weird, but it was a good turnout; 64 students represented (out of 150+ on the rosters). Today was a minimum day to offset the there-until-9pm day before. :zzz:

TeeEye7
08-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Today, Friday, is my wife's first official day back to school. Friday did you spake? Yep. But without kids. The Thundering Herd comes on Monday the 24th; along with the Kamakaze Parents. Then begins the 180 day count-down.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm about to head to workshop day on campus for several hours. These things are usually okay, but I grow far too irritated with the older faculty who try to take over discussions with their own stories and whatnot. But hey, free breakfast and lunch, right?!???!

Semester starts on Monday. where did my summer go? :confused:

Qui-Long Gone
08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
where did my summer go? :confused:

It got beaten by some angry Baby Boomers during one of those Town Hall meetings about healthcare...:(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
It got beaten by some angry Baby Boomers during one of those Town Hall meetings about healthcare...:(

lol I just grow tired of discussions that always seem to go in the direction of 'oh, I had this student....' yeah, i don't give a sh--. I've had bad students too and I dealt with it. They interrupt speakers and gossip when they should be paying attention.

today was pretty solid though; I chose two workshops that were great, including the changes to MLA citation (grrrr) and breakfast and lunch were tasty! :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
^MLA citation changes, WTF? I'm trying to finish my dissertation, why are there changes?

Double grrrrrr :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
^MLA citation changes, WTF? I'm trying to finish my dissertation, why are there changes?

Double grrrrrr :mad:

Cos somebody somewhere decided it would be a great idea and it probably makes money for..............I dunno who exactly, but dammit, money is made!

I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics, URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

It's moving more towards APA, which is far far easier (having taught my first business writing course last semester, I can say this with certainty!) :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Cos somebody somewhere decided it would be a great idea and it probably makes money for..............I dunno who exactly, but dammit, money is made!

I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics, URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

It's moving more towards APA, which is far far easier (having taught my first business writing course last semester, I can say this with certainty!) :thumbsup:Our dept. decided on MLA as our standard style, but some of us like to broaden the students' horizons and share APA, too. That "new" method sounds more like it was done while on crystal meth; too weird for me.

Maradona
08-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Language is constantly evolving. I looked around online and found the MLA changes. They don't seem too major to me. I have to alter several of my handouts to compensate for the update.

JetsAndHeels
08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Our students have been back since August 10th. I have actually been back since about a week before that. The summer went by quick, but now that I'm in the zone again, I'm glad to be teaching.

Qui-Long Gone
08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics, :thumbsup:

Italics have been an option for a while. Does this mean no more underline? Smaller titles, like an article are in quotes and the journal is italics...not too much change.

URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

It's moving more towards APA, which is far far easier (having taught my first business writing course last semester, I can say this with certainty!) :thumbsup:

URL should have been removed! Indicating source makes sense. APA is probably better!

These actually sound like reasonable changes.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I just don't like change. That often means new editions of books.

I am only halfway through my grading; I hope to get to the 2/3 mark or better after today. Sigh...

Maradona
08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
URL should have been removed! Indicating source makes sense. APA is probably better!

APA is definitely easier, but I've always thought it was less precise. I did most of my undergrad using MLA and all my grad work in APA. With APA, you don't even need to quote directly, just throw the parentheses around a name and year. I teach my students both, since they will end up using both in college, but I emphasize MLA because it's more elaborate and for some more difficult to get right. If the kids can master MLA, APA is a breeze. I liken it to making kids practice running a mile when I just want them to be able to run a half.

Qui-Long Gone
08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
^I was always that kid who couldn't finish the mile...maybe that's why my writing was so bad in college? :laugh:

TeeEye7
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Today my wife gets her 2009-2010 crop of third graders. She started officially last Friday but the kids and parents inundate the campus today.

I hope her first day (and the subsequent 179) is a good one like BCJ reported his first day to be. :fingerscrossed:

pbarnard
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Parking and traffic messes this morning (nearly got hit 4 times on my bike). Can only mean the class of 2013 and the Fall semester started at the University of Iowa today.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2009, 06:53 PM
There was a major street closure near school this morning, so they made an announcement about some students that may be late? Number of students late to my first period? Zero. Way to go, attendance promoters! :D

And a kid felt that calling a character in The Odyssey a "pansy" wasn't an inappropriate term (his evidence was spotty, at best anyway: "just because" ).

TeeEye7
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Mrs. TI7 said she had a pretty darn good first day, all things considered.

Judging by many a previous posts by others, good first days must be going around this year! :thumbsup:

Let's keep that momentum going! :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
I teach two more classes today and then i'm done for the week. I will have friday morning workshops (bleurgh) but they don't start till next week.

The first few days have been good. A lot of the students warmed up to my sense of humor pretty fast, aside from one class that could very well be full of corpses. I did pull my favorite trick where I act like their syllabus is a huge first day exam and when they panic and freak out, I tell them it's a fib and that it's only their syllabus. lol Worked like a charm again this semester.

And here are pics of my new office! http://www.flickr.com/photos/34129318@N08/sets/72157622088387932/ :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
*Whew!* You did not disappoint me, sir. The Conchords are well-represented!

Well done! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Mrs Chux already has the obligatory, "Call me about my bratty kid causing disturbances in class, will you? It's obvious you're not going to see eye to eye! He's had this problem with teachers who don't like him before! I'm pulling him from your class!" phone call. Normally it takes a full month.

TeeEye7
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
That's the problem with school kids. They have parents.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Mrs Chux already has the obligatory, "Call me about my bratty kid causing disturbances in class, will you? It's obvious you're not going to see eye to eye! He's had this problem with teachers who don't like him before! I'm pulling him from your class!" phone call. Normally it takes a full month.I might be getting that very same call soon too, Chux. But I headed it off at the pass (hopefully), by mentioning it with to student's counselor first. Ah, the honeymoon lasted almost three full weeks... :sleeping:

And, for the first time ever, I made it through back-to-back classes without breaking down during the playing of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" for a Grapes of Wrath lesson. Stupid self-sense of patriotism and honor... :o :USA:

Darth Cruel
08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
My wife is a teacher. She got laid off after last year and was just starting to enjoy the thought of having a year off when school started and she was reminded that she is the favorite substitue in the district. She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM
She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.That's how I was hired myself. Good luck to her! :thumbsup:

Maradona
08-29-2009, 06:51 PM
My wife is a teacher. She got laid off after last year and was just starting to enjoy the thought of having a year off when school started and she was reminded that she is the favorite substitue in the district. She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.

As a plus, long term subbing pays better than day to day subbing, but that's in LAUSD. After 100 days, she'd also qualify for full benefits. I know of subs who make more than some teachers thanks to long term assignments.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
My "issue" student's parent replied and is on my side. Hooray! Discipline migth not be as dead as chivalry after all.

Subbing gets yourself "out there," meaning secretaries and teachers see what you can do well, your relationship with the kids, and how you handle the structure (or the lack thereof sometimes) of teaching someone else's lessons. If she gets a "congrats on your job, but we're sorry to lose you as a substitute" comment, that's high praise.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2009, 09:46 PM
How have any of you teachers spent your 3-day weekend? I've put off grading as long as I can (guess that means tomorrow :rolleyes: ).

Qui-Long Gone
09-08-2009, 10:38 AM
So my second grader said her teacher is getting a divorce and repeated a phone conversation she overheard between her teacher and soon-to-be-X. I asked the teacher about it this morning and she said it was true, she was getting a divorce. I didn't press her on it, but drew her attention to what my daughter had shared.

I feel really weird because my daughter loves this teacher, but it seems a bit much for a student to know so much about a teacher's private life....now my daughter is all worried for her teacher and is asking me and my wife about divorce, etc.

I'm not trying to raise a snowflake, but isn't divorce something that should be kept out of the classroom between a teacher and her students?

What to do?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
My students know very little about me, unless I choose to inform them (which isn't too often). Having no Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc. page keeps it that way, too. There's a BIG difference between teacher-as-buddy and teacher-as-role-model, and I take the later label VERY seriously and carefully. I can be friendly, but I won't be their friend, their peer. That gets into some dangerous territory, and I've seen some of those potentially go wrong.

What to do? I go with "just say no" to TMI.

Maradona
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
My 9th first day of school was today. Meeting the new students, setting expectations, and establishing guidelines becomes more organic each time, but I still hate repeating my syllabus 6 times in a day. Throughout the school year, I strive to never talk as much as circumstances force me on to the first day.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Sometimes, I've made it a classwork/homework assignment to have the students take notes on the syllabus, then discuss the next day the key points they either mentioned or missed. I haven't done the syllabus-on-the-first-day thing for about 5 years now.

Maradona
09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I like that idea. What I do is have them summarize each section of my syllabus (I have it divided into a variety of sections) in 10 words or less, but I don't do it without verbally highlighting several key areas.

My first day agenda has them:

* write who they are in a sort of quick write that they immediately post up so that they can claim space in the room
* take an informal survey on an information sheet so I can get a feel for who I'm dealing with
* go over the key points of the syllabus

The 50 or so minutes go by quickly and very quietly on their part. I've been told I look somewhat intimidating when I make it clear to them that the class demands a degree of diligence they may be unaccustomed to. As long as they know I want their best to emerge, I am satisfied.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I wore my Tom Joad outfit (and spoke in char'cter for jes 'bout the whole time) for The Grapes of Wrath today. There was laughter by some, impression by others, confusion by more, and indifference by those who only care about themselves.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I had an "I Can't Funeral" simply because during my first two weeks of school, a lot of my students came in with an attitude that if the work is hard, they weren't going to try (or as I tell them "do, because there is no try") so on Friday, I had them write the words "I can't" on a piece of paper and had them throw them out (recycle actually). We then bowed our heads as we left the room and I read a eulogy for the words "I can't" and his siblings, "I won't" "I'm not" and "Why should I?" and had them toss the recycle box into our blue industrial sized bins.

Most of my students played along, but a few laughed, but I didn't mine. Two girls though afterwards commenced with much annoyance by stating the words "I can't" at least twenty times, just to get a reaction out of me. Although I don't really mean it, I wish the funeral was for them.:twisted:

Maradona
09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
That sounds like an appropriate time to reference the scene in ESB where Yoda lifts the X-Wing to Luke's amazement and utters "That is why you fail."

Bel-Cam Jos
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
LBC, I have a lesson where students write a eulogy or obituary for an inanimate object (my sample that I show is to The Written Letter, as in a mailed note). It worked well the first time, not so good after that. Are death lessons a turnoff?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Our school apparently has a new club: Star Wars Appreciation Club. Can't make it, as their meetings are Fri. mornings, when our department. meets. E chu ta! :frus:

JetsAndHeels
09-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Our school apparently has a new club: Star Wars Appreciation Club. Can't make it, as their meetings are Fri. mornings, when our department. meets. E chu ta! :frus:

I have a few students who email me trivia questions. We talk about Star Wars between classes. Fun stuff.

sith_killer_99
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Best Teacher I ever had in school was my Autobody Shop teacher Mr. Hanson. He taught me more about the real world than any teacher ever ever. I still use the lessons I learned from him 16 years later.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2009, 09:54 AM
so two of my classes have friday workshop times that I have pretty much ended. During these times, we're workshopping/reviewing rough drafts of papers, etc. For the last workshop, I had about 6 kids (out of 18) show up for the first class with about 2 that brought papers. The second class had about 9 students show up (again out of 18) with only 4 bringing papers. They pulled this crap during the first workshops and I just snapped at them on that following monday, telling them I was not wasting my time, gas, or money with students who didn't want to succeed. Instead, I told them if they want, they can setup a conference time with me on fridays to talk to me about their works and i'll gladly come in for that. I was posting some discussions questions on our epsilen page for them to answer on fridays and out of both classes, I had a total of 8 students who replied. Jesus Christ.

All four of my classes are watching their in-class movies right now. Two classes are watching PAN'S LABYRINTH while the other two are watching THE MIST. Thanks to how fast we're getting through these movies, I have empty days on both monday AND tuesday as I thought i'd take longer to finish the movies. Four day weekend; holla! ooops. Not that any of the students or myself am complaining. :crazed:

TeeEye7
10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Jeez, JMG! Your students are already paying for their education. Aren't they entitled to a good grade? You want them to work, too?

;)

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I feel your pain JMG.

Its funny that this thread got bumped today, because something pretty big happened in my class this morning.

Two girls got into a fight, which started inside our class, spilled into the hallway, and continued out there for about 10 minutes. It was total chaos.

The girls were separated and taken to our office. They are now both on a 10 day suspension.

Now class, answer this for me:

After that incident, how much REAL learning do you think went on in class??

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I didn't know you taught at The School of Hard Knocks.

We had our Great Shakeout statewide earthquake drill today, and it went fairly well as I saw things.

Until 8:05 am tomorrow, I will be caught up on grading! :D

Maradona
10-29-2009, 10:53 PM
How many of you go to work in costume for Halloween? I look forward to it all year and try to gear my costume toward something read for class. If students dress up as any character from literature, particularly any read for class, I provide a treat.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Only if it falls on a school day. With the 31st tomorrow, I just wore orange and black (including my 100th anniv. black/orange Chuck Taylors). Who (whom?) have I been for Halloween at school as a teacher?

- Dr. Gregory House
- John McEnroe
- Bel-Cam Jos (my blue Jedi-robed alter ego :D )
- Indiana Jones
- Charlie Brown

Perhaps there are others I fail to recall right now.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
things are in the final homestretch for me. My students turned in paper #4 (their own Swift-esque satirical essay) this week and it's graded. I'm holding conferences this week, meaning i'm in my office all week, most of the day, in case students want to swing by and get their grades, their graded paper or talk about their conferences. As of right now, it looks like out of my 31 or so students in my two problem classes, about 6 can't pass and several others are teetering on failing. Kids these days.

But these conference days are essentially so I can sit on my arse and relax. I have three of my syllabi finisihed for next semester, so I need to figure out how to setup this DL course I'm teaching as well. I'm kind of nervous as it's my first time teaching a DL course (i'll probably go through epsilen as the university is pushing it hardcore), but it feels like it's gonna be much more work. Meh!

Neuroleptic
11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Recently I got fired from my job and instead of trying to find a new one, I'v decided to throw myself into becoming a high school art teacher. Yesterday I went ahead and enrolled full time for next semester.

Then I came and read some of the posts on this board and thought ". . . WTF was I thinking? :crazed:

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Well I'm dealing with a dilemna...

I supervise an undergraduate who gets a grade, not pay, from my boss. Basically, he does everything I do in terms of performing experiments and analyzing data, creating graphs and charts. I've found him several times changing parameters and protocols (it's easy when things are computer controlled) but he hasn't told anyone. I've told my boss every time but the first explaining why you can't change it and tell no one, but you can change it and tell everyone. I want him gone, I don't want to be touched if this gets hit under misconduct/falsifying data. Boss refuses to do anything at this time. GRRR. I hate undergrads.

TeeEye7
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
How close until winter freedom?

My son just came home a few minutes ago with that "I just finished my last final" smile and Mrs. TI7 has this plus one more week of her third graders.

BTW: I'm teaching in our Academy today and tomorrow. Subject? Crime scene investigation, of course!

My power points are not for the faint of heart...

Maradona
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
7 school days left.

JetsAndHeels
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
We have the rest of this week, Monday and Tuesday, then on Wednesday exams start. Those will be early release days...then the following week (beginning on the 21st) we only have 2 days, but they are just for retesting.

So basically I only have 4 more actual teaching/reviewing days.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I started collecting final projects yesterday; next week is our finals week, but I don't have an official final and I learned during my first semester teaching not to collect items during finals week cos more than likely, students will blow off their english courses for their more "important" classes (I guess writing isn't important, eh??! lol).

My two classes yesterday turned everything in and I actually got them all graded. In my first class, I have roughly 7 out of 17 registered (a few have dropped though) that will pass the course. I expected this though, aside from one student who just bombed the final paper and portfolio.

My second class is a bit worse with 6 out of 17 or so passing. I was really shocked at these numbers as I had more students in my projections passing, but again, bombed the final paper and portfolio. I was kinda irritated too as the portfolio consists of revising two papers and then writing some reflections; an easy 100 points. Lots of students had problems with the research paper as they would give me facts/research and not provide cites, so they lost serious points. I spent a month and a half going over this with them and many of them just ignored me. You would think that a student would pay attention with 400 points on the line.

I'm collecting the other two classes worth of work today; I don't expect it'll be too rough as 95% of these students are on the ball, big time. lol I hope to be done grading by tomorrow night. I'm giving them two days next week to pick things up, but then grades will be posted. After that, I'm done and can relax till mid January! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I have had no desire to grade any of the four piles of final exams the last couple days. Notice what I am NOT doing right now, eh? :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I have had no desire to grade any of the four piles of final exams the last couple days. Notice what I am NOT doing right now, eh? :rolleyes:

lol I feel that.

I finished all of my grading in about three days and the following week I stayed in my office m-w for about 5-8 hours each day so students could pick stuff up. I had more come in than I expected, mostly on tues and wed, but hey, I didn't mind. I spent those days in my office watching movies on my ipod, reading a stack of rolling stones that had been collecting dust, and I even attended our faculty holiday party on monday.

Tallies for my classes:
#1- 7 failed, 7 passed
#2- 10 failed, 6 passed
#3-#4- roughly 42 passed, 4-6 failed

I did have a first this semester: a student e-mailing me about their grade (failed) and then asked me to find it in my heart to pass them. They even tried to do assignments they missed and mail them to me. Never had that happen before!

but alas, i'm done for the semester and now starts my 3 1/2 week paid break. Wooot! :thumbsup:

How's everybody else doing/holding up?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Only finished one of five classes (essay with 20 short answer questions), and am STILL in no hurry to get to them.

Family's in town (I had been down south a few miles visiting, now back home), so that'll surely increase my desire to grade... :rolleyes:

Maradona
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I graded 140 3-5 page essays last week. I did not want to have to grade over the break, so I stayed up until around 1-2 each night finishing. On Friday, I gave back all their papers. Class sizes have increased this year. I have 178 students on my rosters, whereas before I never had more than 120 over 5 periods. Rather than complain and cut the quality of the class and quantity of essays, like many of my colleagues at the school have, I just assign the same amount and spend more time grading.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Our district, blessed by fate and luck last year to only have less than 10 teachers let go (I think it was just 3 in fact), is projected to have closer to 70+ (I suppose that includes any retirements, too). We have to cut almost $12M in costs this school year and '10-'11. :cry: Anakin said it best, "this is not good." How are the rest of you holding out so far?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Our district, blessed by fate and luck last year to only have less than 10 teachers let go (I think it was just 3 in fact), is projected to have closer to 70+ (I suppose that includes any retirements, too). We have to cut almost $12M in costs this school year and '10-'11. :cry: Anakin said it best, "this is not good." How are the rest of you holding out so far?

My university has instituted a program that is bringing students in at records numbers, so I'm hoping I'll be good for 2010-2011, which is the last year in my contract. I'm going to start looking around the area at the other colleges, including tech schools, as well as private schools to see if they have any openings, just to be safe. Luckily, in this economy, more folks are returning for higher degrees, so i'm hoping that next year is a lock and they just haven't told us yet.

TeeEye7
03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh. Lord it's Girl Scout cookie season. Those of you who don't teach elementary grades will never know how lucky you are! Mrs. TI7 has been inundated with requests to buy cookies from every GS-associated student in the school. We'd need a building the size of Costco to comply and store the goods; plus we'd be beyond broke...... :eek:

Lord Malakite
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh. Lord it's Girl Scout cookie season. Those of you who don't teach elementary grades will never know how lucky you are! Mrs. TI7 has been inundated with requests to buy cookies from every GS-associated student in the school. We'd need a building the size of Costco to comply and store the goods; plus we'd be beyond broke...... :eek:

Can't help you with the money problem to purchase said cookies, but if you need to dump GS cookies off on someone due to a lack of space I'll give you my address and by all means send them my way. I'm partial to the thin mints and lemon iced ones, but a cookie donation of any type/flavor will gladly be accepted. :thumbsup:

LTBasker
03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I'll help out and take the samoas!