PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On Darth Vader 2-piece Helmet?

PAA_707
08-20-2008, 01:08 AM
The idea of it is coo, but once you open it, it f**kin sucks. The top part of the helmet won't stay on for nathin. I don't know if it's just my figure, well I have 2, one sealed one opened. But I just keep him on desplay and his helmet falls off just from me bumpin into the desk.

So what do you all think? Does my figure just suck or is it everyone's, heh heh.

DarkJedi5
08-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Um, mine's not quite that bad. The fit isn't fantastic, I mean it looks a little goofy and there are gaps where it isn't perfectly snug but I have a million Vaders already and didn't buy this one to display with the helmet all zipped up.

bigbarada
08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
My helmet fits almost perfectly with only one gap along the right jawline. And it stays on just fine.

Is your helmet warped in any way? Since this is probably the last Vader I will ever buy, I spent quite a lot of time examining the helmet parts through the bubble to make sure that they weren't warped in any way before I bought one. So, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with why they fit so well.

PAA_707
08-20-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know it looks fine to me. And I'm the type to stare at the figure for half an hour before I buy it, haha. There isn't any gaps or anything. The bottom face part fits nice and snug, and perfect. But the actual top helmet part falls off when my parrots fart. This is my first Darth Vader too, haha. Well the first I've taken outta the package.

Neuroleptic
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
I have no problems with the fit of my figure's helmet what so ever, and it looks every bit as good as the 30th anaversary collection Vader. Other than the flat black face, I don't see much of a difference between the two until I remove the helmet.

Clarification: The helmet fits better on my Legends Darth Vader than both the prototype shown at toy fair, and the one used in the Sir Steve's Guide logo on the banner at the top of this page! Sufice it to say, I am thrilled with this figure. And the paint job is just about flawless, too.

I think the problems with the helmet's fit that people are having are either manufacturing flaws with individual figures, or (more likely) packaging mistakes that squish one or both of the parts.

After switching hands with my previously mentioned TAC Vader and having my wife use her sewing skills to remove the silver 'chain', it will now take one truly spectacular Darth Vader figure for me to ever need to buy another one.

. . . or a weak moment where I want the biuld a droid part . . .

JetsAndHeels
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Mine is pretty good...no complaints so far.

Kidhuman
08-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Mine is packed away, but I rememebr the helmet wouldnt fit right

TheDarthVader
08-21-2008, 12:09 AM
No problems here. I have been waiting for this vader for a long time. (as you can tell, I am a big fan of his)

Rocketboy
08-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I had buyers remorse the second I opened the piece of sh*t.
The helmet sucks. The dome falls off way too easy and there is a massive gap in the jaw.
The soft goods cloak is terrible and the crappy string they used for the neck chain won't stay down.
And he can only hold his lightsaber in his left hand - it looks wrong.
Speaking of the lightsaber - due to the adamantium laced scotch tape they used the damn blade warped coming out of the package.

And I got ripped off - I only got part of a droid rather than the whole thing*.

Figures like this is the reason why I stopped buying Star Wars figures.

*Yes, that part was a joke.

bigbarada
08-21-2008, 12:56 AM
The helmet sucks. The dome falls off way too easy and there is a massive gap in the jaw.
The soft goods cloak is terrible and the crappy string they used for the neck chain won't stay down.
Speaking of the lightsaber - due to the adamantium laced scotch tape they used the damn blade warped coming out of the package.

And I got ripped off - I only got part of a droid rather than the whole thing*.

Figures like this is the reason why I stopped buying Star Wars figures.

*Yes, that part was a joke.

Sounds like you just got a bad one. I actually spent a long time scrutinizing the figures before buying one and, after doing a hand swap with the TAC Vader, he's the best Darth Vader figure made.

Neuroleptic
08-21-2008, 07:03 AM

Like Big B said, it sounds like you just found a bad egg as far as the helmet gose. This really is a good figure, but it's one people MUST be carefull about which one they pick (and probably would be a risky buy in E-bay . . .)

It's also just a little dissapointing that one has to do a little work to make him the diffinitive Darth Vader, but it truly is worth it and simple to do so.

DarkArtist
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
at first mine didn't work and would pop off but after about a week of being out of the package and sitting on my dresser the helmet now fits perfectly. try placing the first part, the mask on your finger for a few seconds to loosen the plastic a bit and then try it on the vader. it stretches the plastic and makes for a better fit.

PAA_707
08-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Let me tell you I am one of those guys that stares at the package for about an hour before I decide to buy it. If there are 10 Vader's there, I will go through all 10 looking for the one in the best conidition.

**** I've been looking for a regular Obi-Wan in good condition, and I still haven't bought one. The funny part is every store I go to has at lea t5 Obi-Wan's, just for some reason his packages are always bent or dinged up.

All I know is I'm ****ed, because everyone keeps sayin how much they love their Vader, and I sat there picking mine out for hours, and it didn't do me no good. You know now that I think about it Wal-Mart might take it back. I don't know why I didn't think of that from the begining.

**** it's been a few weeks but I still have all my receipts, I'm so stupid. If I get stuck with another bad helmet I'll lose it, heh heh. Then I'll take it to Hasbro. I have to say it is a beautiful figure and I'm ****ed about this whole situation.

And on a side note, that is messed up he can only hold the lightsaber in his left hand. Obviously everyone knows it's always in his right.

JediTricks
08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Mine fit fine right out of the packaging, and I haven't noticed any gaps in the jawline. The helmet actually fits better than the Hasbro prototype which looks all flat and sits too high, it's not perfect but it's pretty good.

Neuroleptic
08-21-2008, 06:34 PM
it's been a few weeks but I still have all my receipts, I'm so stupid. If I get stuck with another bad helmet I'll lose it, heh heh. Then I'll take it to Hasbro. I have to say it is a beautiful figure and I'm ****ed about this whole situation.

Well, that may not be out of the question. I bought Obi-Wan's Jedi star fighter from Hasbro, and it came with the wrong stickers. I sent them a quick email over the internet, and they sent me a new (correct) sticker sheat.

Perhaps if you ask them about it, they may be willing to send you a new helmet since the one you have seems to be defective. Also, wording the letter nicely helps. Even if they don't, it may not hurt to make them aware of the fact that the way these figures are being packaged is possibly damaging some of them, since they may simply not know. Might be usefull for them closer to November, when I'm sure these figures will suddenly show up in larger numbers just in time for the holidays.

As for the hands, the ones from this figure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darth-Vader-Death-Star-Dual-Star-Wars-TAC-30th-LOOSE_W0QQitemZ140258894440QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1529 47QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are interchangeable with the Darth Vader Two stage helmet, and the stand is preaty cool too. As an added bonus if nothing else works, this version of Darth Vader ALSO has a removable helmet, but it dosn't split into seperate dome/face mask like the new one dose.

Gothiczartan
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
that figure will work out just fine.

PAA_707
08-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, that may not be out of the question. I bought Obi-Wan's Jedi star fighter from Hasbro, and it came with the wrong stickers. I sent them a quick email over the internet, and they sent me a new (correct) sticker sheat.

Perhaps if you ask them about it, they may be willing to send you a new helmet since the one you have seems to be defective. Also, wording the letter nicely helps. Even if they don't, it may not hurt to make them aware of the fact that the way these figures are being packaged is possibly damaging some of them, since they may simply not know. Might be usefull for them closer to November, when I'm sure these figures will suddenly show up in larger numbers just in time for the holidays.

As for the hands, the ones from this figure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darth-Vader-Death-Star-Dual-Star-Wars-TAC-30th-LOOSE_W0QQitemZ140258894440QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1529 47QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are interchangeable with the Darth Vader Two stage helmet, and the stand is preaty cool too. As an added bonus if nothing else works, this version of Darth Vader ALSO has a removable helmet, but it dosn't split into seperate dome/face mask like the new one dose.

I think they have a bunch of those at Wal-Mart right now, like 10 of em. I have to check if they have Obi-Wan's robe as a stand, cuze that's pretty dope.

sebillba
08-22-2008, 02:01 AM
If the problem with your helmet is just that it's been pushed out of shape by the packaging (even if not obviously so), try this: boil up some water, leave it to stand for a minute, then drop the helmet in for a few seconds - it should magically restore to its original factory shape. Then pop it into some cold water to "set" it. Might be worth a try.... I use this method all the time, and it really works wonders.

Neuroleptic
08-22-2008, 10:27 AM
That boiling watter thing happen to work for guns and other weapons too?

sebillba
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
That boiling watter thing happen to work for guns and other weapons too?

Yeah it does.... not so great on lightsabres, but it works for most other accessories. Even if they've been warped for too long, you can reshape them while they're hot, then set them in the cold water.

DarkJedi5
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah it does.... not so great on lightsabres, but it works for most other accessories. Even if they've been warped for too long, you can reshape them while they're hot, then set them in the cold water.

Even works on Galactic Heroes who don't stand quite right, that trick can be a loose collector's best friend.

AmanaMatt
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I love this fig, and like other here, the helmet on mine fits (and stays) fine....this is my fav ROTJ style Vader to date...I have been waiting for a two piece helmet since day one, so I am loving this one a lot...

JetsAndHeels
08-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I switched out the right hand on mine with the one from TAC Vader, so now it is pretty much perfect IMO.

Neuroleptic
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I thought about doing that too, but the 'bands' on the gloves to the TAC vader are different from the ones on the new Legends version, so they didn't match.

bigbarada
08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I thought about doing that too, but the 'bands' on the gloves to the TAC vader are different from the ones on the new Legends version, so they didn't match.

If you just swap out both hands, you'll never notice.

Neuroleptic
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
If you just swap out both hands, you'll never notice.

That's what I did. The way Jetsandheels worded it, it sounded like he only switched one hand. I was trying to point out why that wasn't such a good thing incase he hadn't noticed.