PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Pirates and more for 2009

Jargo
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
pirates be back. ARRRRRRR :Pirate: plus city, indiana jones and star wars and creator and stuff.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=337640&n=0

Pirate Impulse 2009 (Pirate Survival)
Pirate New-Pirates (Cannon Battle)
Pirate New-Pirates (Kraken Attackin')
Pirate New-Pirates (Loot Island)
Pirate New-Pirates (Soldiers' Fort)
Pirate New-Pirates (Brickbeard's Bounty)
Pirate New-Pirates (Shipwreck Hideout)

LusiferSam
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Mini figure scale pirate has returned! Oh this is a good day. These pictures are killer. I like these sets. It's a nice up date and well balanced mix of the cartoony and realistic. The names are pretty dumb, but you can't win them all.

This thread should really merged with the other '09 thread.

DarthQuack
08-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Those look sick....I also liked the farming equipment and the construction stuff as well.

LTBasker
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Holy frickin bleepy bleepity, didn't think I'd see the day that they returned to the old ways of the Pirate sets! The only bad part is the apparent lack of string on the ship, I miss the string-laden appearance of the older ship sets, it added a very nice touch to it. Still, looks better than the Red Beard Runner. I have to say I prefer the old sharks though.

...and the pirate in the blue vest appears to be nude from the waist down.

Jargo
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
hope you saved the pics coz the gallery is gone now.

i'm not sure about the pirates stuff. i think it's a late attempt to buy back some consumers from mega bloks. as well as nodding to pirate enthusiasts. some of the same and some new. the ship is ok but lacks something. though the figurehead is fantastic. the gold epaulettes on the captains is cool and the telescope piece cast in gold looks nifty. maybe for a certain somebody who recently constructed a cathedral?

the smaller pirate sets look odd. that huge burp base thing in tan is just horrible well in that picture. a few of them would make for a good dirt track and dunes for those into racers though.

the parrot. I like the idea of pressing two colours together to get a blended bicolour piece but i also think the parrot deserves some tampo printed details. I love the classic parrot for that.

I hope the pirate stuff takes off for them. and more arrives in 2010 with a better ship and maybe a proper fort or pirate harbour hangout. a tavern for the crew to relax in and a port authority building for the soldiers. more palm trees and new vegetation. it's a tropical setting!

Construction vehicles are very big. and not really very attractive. sure CAT vehicles aren't pretty but as these models are based on CAT like designs they could be less creator/technical looking. the construction site with three vehicles and modular building chunks looks absolutely the sort of thing that could sell and sell.

Farm. with a cow. A COW!!!!! yay. erm, i like the look and feel of this subtheme. the farm set itself has cool vehicles and buildings that don't look wrong made from a small number of parts. the combine harvester is huge and the blades at the front are cleverly done. it looks like it'll be fun to build too. the range rover 4x4 with horse trailer is a great looking set that's neither roughed together or too girly. what really counts is the 4x4 which is really well done. look forward to downloading the instructions for that.

the big red tractor is nicely modern and though it could stand thickening up at the front the rest looks great. for anyone who can still remember being a young kid playing with a toy tractor i say this is the tractor to get. though for the more traditional the farm set tractor might suit you better.

Indiana jones. The flying wing set is ok. fairly well represents the scene from the movie. just doesn't look terribly interesting. mostly grey indy, marion, the pilot and the beefy german dude. the shanghai chase set looks great though. the sinister black car of the thugs and a whole elliot ness feel and then the sporty car for indy and willie. not forgetting shortround. the thugs having black fedoras is a nice touch. definitely one I'll grab.

mixed bunch really. the three year old in me wants the farm while the teenage me wants the indiana jones and the adult me wants to play god and create a whole lego city. so this lot just about covers it really.

no scans of the castle sets showed up yet though. or the new agents sets. have to keep my eyes peeled for when they show up.

Jargo
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/10/04/10193-medieval-market-village-to-be-released-in-2009-exclusive/

you really want it don't you. oh yes you do. you do. I can tell.

Ji'dai
10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow, that medieval market is awesome. And reasonably priced at $100 too! I've never had more than a passing interest in Castle, but I'm definitely getting one of these sets.

LusiferSam
10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I saw this set on BrickShelf Thursday night and nearly got up and danced around. It's just too cool. Lego is firing on cylinders didn't even know they had. From looking at the photos I'm not sure this set is missing anything. It looks nearly perfect. What ever Lego has been doing the last couple of years, they're got me pumped for '09.

Jargo
10-12-2008, 04:18 PM
there's so much to like with the set. from the cows and roast bird, to the pirate telescope piece used as market stall canopy supports, to the fish to the female minifigs and the big tree. the first proper brick built tree in a set if i'm not mistaken.

it's going to be a bit expensive for my budget but there's just too much good stuff to pass on. add the jester from the advent calender for this year to the set and maybe a couple more stalls, a bit of castle wall and it would be perfect. but it's still darn excellent as it is. and yeah, i got butterflies in my belly when i first saw the pics. which is a definite sign that i have to have the set.

LusiferSam
10-13-2008, 12:36 AM
there's so much to like with the set. from the cows and roast bird, to the pirate telescope piece used as market stall canopy supports, to the fish to the female minifigs and the big tree.

I love lot the little details. It looks much more like a fan build set than an official Lego release. But Lego has been much, much better about this in recent years after a long period of slipping. The bed with a quilt, bread and cheese, the tree has apples and flowers, the fireplaces, the frog by the water wheel, the farm animals. It's the little things that really aid in a like this. Sure they could have dropped many of these details and it be a good set at a lower price, but it would feel empty.

The Coner Cafe (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10182) is a great example. It's a great set, but it's empty. There's nothing on the inside. I know Lego wants you use some imagination and build your own interior (something do way to little of this days), but there's not a kernel to start from. But the Green Grocer (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10185) has that. Sure there room for improvement, like most sets, but you have the starting point. Whether you choose to start there or not doesn't matter.

the first proper brick built tree in a set if i'm not mistaken.

So the trees from 10069 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10069), 4727 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4727), 4766 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4766), 6054 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6054), 6077 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6077), 10184 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10184) and three or four other I'm not thinking of off hand don't count? This tree really is the best to date, but I hardly think it's the first.

Jargo
10-13-2008, 09:11 AM
oh that's just quibbling. lol

Ji'dai
10-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Another brickshelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=349246) gallery with set photos. The new Indiana Jones sets are there too.

Jargo
10-31-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm quite captivated by the new Farm sets. Not terribly impressed with the construction sets which seem very clunky and juniorised. the box art on the Indy sets looks a lot better than the prelim pics thank god.
the power miners sets are a bit garish but there are some nice parts in them so i'll just grab those particular pieces from bricklink.
None of the star wars sets do anything for me but that's nothing new.
I'm not much liking the pirates sets so again it looks like any pieces i want will be got from bricklink.

Ji'dai
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
The farm sets are a fresh idea though the buildings use very simple construction methods. The age range for them is 5-12, so they won't be as complex or detailed as I'd like. I think this theme will be really popular here in the midwest and prairie states. Many retail stores in this area usually carry a broad selection of farm toys so it may be a regional thing.

I haven't seen enough of the pirate sets to have an opinion on them yet. I think there was only one set shown in that brickshelf gallery.

The gangsters in the Indy Shanghai Chase seem to have more of an Asian look to them than pics I've seen before. I was hoping to use one for Toht. Still, black fedoras!

The Power Miners don't do anything for me and I'm not interested in Star Wars sets based on the prequels.

LusiferSam
11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I haven't seen enough of the pirate sets to have an opinion on them yet. I think there was only one set shown in that brickshelf gallery.

Here's another gallery (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=347847) with more of the '09 Pirate sets.

After looking at those photos some more I noticed something that real obvious, I think those are shooting cannons. I'd be even more psyched for these sets if that was the case.

Ji'dai
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for posting that link. The box artwork seems to imply that the cannons are of the shooting variety. Overall, this line-up seems like a step-up from the Pirate jr. sets from three years ago, but not quite on par with the juniorized Pirate sets from 1996.

The buildings are pretty basic. I do like the big pirate ship and will definitely be getting that one. I'm disappointed that LEGO is using the newer palm tree rather than the older kind with the segmented trunk and four palm fronds. The original palm tree is one my favorite elements.

Funny about the set numbers being in the 6200 range, just like the classic theme.

Jargo
11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I think there's really very little in the pirates sets I want.
Octopus
telescope
fish
dynamite (would be nicer with a white or black fuse wire)
tan rope bridge.

the new pirate torso's are pretty nifty too.

Ji'dai
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
The '09 sets are beginning to hit retail! I spotted the $20 Creator Propeller Power and Pirates 6241 Loot Island at TRU this morning.

EDIT: I was checking LEGO Shop@Home and found two new sets over there if you're interested in sets based on famous landmarks/buildings. Both sets are $20 and have under 70 pieces! :expensive:

Now you can own a replica of Chicago's own Sears Tower (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=21000) or the John Hancock Center (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=21001).

I think I can live without them.

Jargo
11-18-2008, 07:29 AM
over at www.eurobricks.com they've posted a rumour list of summer 2009 sets...

We are receiving lots of rumors about new 2009 sets. All info thanks to our members Cagri and Christian!

Indy sets:
7195 Indiana Jones Ambush In Cairo/Egyptian Bazaar
7196 Indiana Jones Chauchilla Cemetery Battle/Mutt Chase
7197 Indiana Jones Venice Canal Chase/Venice Race
7198 Indiana Jones Fighter Plane Attack/Plane Race
7199 Indiana Jones The Temple Of Doom

Agents sets:
8967 AGENTS Gold Tooth's Getaway
8968 AGENTS River Heist
8969 AGENTS 4-Wheeling Pursuit
8970 AGENTS Robo Attack
8971 AGENTS Aerial Defence Unit

Castle sets:
7078 Castle King's Battle Chariot 103 pieces
7097 Castle Trolls' Dark Fortress 844 pieces
7079 Castle Drawbridge Defense 335 pieces

Racer:
Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 - 8169
Monster Crushers - 8182
Street Extreme - 8186
Ferrari F1 Euro Cargo (Rumor)

Bionicle:
Kaxium V3 - 8993
Cendox V1 - 8992
Baranus V7 - 8994
Skopio XV-1 - 8996
Thornatus V9 - 8995
Toa Mata Nui (Rumor)

Star Wars:
7748 - Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - 216 Pieces
7749 - Echo Base - 155 Pieces
7778 - Millennium Falcon Mid Scale
8036 - Separatists Shuttle - 257 Pieces
8037 - Anakins Y-Wing Starfighter - ? Pieces
8038 - Star Wars Endor Battle Playset - 887 Pieces
8039 - Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser - 1169 Pieces

Town:
7638 - Tow Truck - 129 Pieces
7639 - Camper - 165 Pieces
7641 - Life - 483 Pieces
7642 - Garage - 953 Pieces
7686 - Helicopter Transporter - 377 Pieces
7687 - Advent Calendar - 257 Pieces

Space:
5969 - Squidman Escape - 42 Pieces
5970 - Freeze Ray Frenzy - 80 Pieces
5971 - Gold Heist - ? Pieces
5972 - Container Heist - 282 Pieces
5973 - Hyperspeed Pursuit - 456 pieces
5974 - Galactic Enforcer - ? Pieces

Ji'dai
11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I think there's really very little in the pirates sets I want.
Octopus
telescope
fish
dynamite (would be nicer with a white or black fuse wire)
tan rope bridge.

the new pirate torso's are pretty nifty too. I've seen all the Pirate sets at TRU except for the Soldier Fort and the big pirate ship. The new pirate wench is actually quite nifty. I like her hairpiece and facial expression. LEGO gave her an eyepatch, but she wears it well.

Also saw some small basic building sets for the under 5 crowd. There's town and pirate ones. All come with a mini-fig and build a small building and vehicle using basic bricks.

I was very tempted to get the farm set I saw at TRU tonight too. It features a 4WD-truck and horse trailer. I liked it alot. There's a Combine set pictured on the back of the box along with the big farmyard set. A LEGO Combine... what were the odds we'd ever see that?

Jargo
11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
oh man I am so hot for that 4wd set. not so fussed on the combine but it's a nifty addition to the legoverse.

Ji'dai
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Still waiting on my TRU to get Brickbeard's Bounty, the big pirate ship, in. They told me they had six on the floor Wednesday but they couldn't find them. So hopefully Saturday.

I noticed that the palm tree in these Pirate sets do use the old style palm fronds, but the trunk is the single-piece element that came out in '99. I'm liking the fish and dynamite pieces. I never thought about using those castle helmet plumes for fire.

Looks like Shipwreck Hideout is a TRU exclusive; and it's the only set with the female pirate. That particular mini-fig also happens to be eerily similar to Miss Elizabeth Swann. I'll probably pick up that set and the big ship, and maybe put the others on my christmas list.

LusiferSam
11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I noticed that the palm tree in these Pirate sets do use the old style palm fronds, but the trunk is the single-piece element that came out in '99. I'm liking the fish and dynamite pieces. I never thought about using those castle helmet plumes for fire.

I'm pretty sure those plumes are new and that those are some of the first sets they have shown up in. The dynamite eluded me for the longest time. People keep mentioning it, but I'd never see it. My mind's not yet made up about it. I don't like that single piece trunk. I never like single big pieces that replaces more versatile smaller piece.

The first good look I got at the Shipwreck Hideout, I thought the female pirate was wearing shades. I just couldn't get a good look at her eye patch. Now that I know it's an eye patch it seems silly.

Ji'dai
11-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Aw, c'mon. The pirate babe is hot! :love:

The single piece palm tree trunk sucks. I've hated it since it first appeared in the Adventurers Amazon sets in 1999. I thought we'd seen the last of it since LEGO began using the original palm tree parts in some recent sets.

The plumes pull double duty in these Pirate sets. They are used as accessories to the tricorn hats and as fire. I haven't kept up on recent Castle offerings so I don't know if these particular plumes are new or not. I know single and three-tufted plumes have been around for a long time.

Jargo
11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
the flame/plume piece is new. the old plume had three separate feathers going in three directions whereas this one has three but they're all going in one direction.

new piece http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=bb340

old piece http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4502b

all three old plumes http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4502c01

Ji'dai
11-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, I'll be using the new plumes for fire from now on, especially for hand-held torches. Wall-mounted and ground torches can still use the old flame piece.

Jargo
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
some new pics of 2009 city sets. very fuzzy but they include a bus stop/station. Creator house. Camper van. red sports car. airshow biplane. tow truck and a matching service garage.

Jargo
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
final two pics.

Ji'dai
01-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say, "Please share my umbrella"
Bus stop, bus go, she stays, love grows, under my umbrella.

The bus stop is awesome! Is that a small cafe next door? Can't really tell from the pic.

I collect the Creator houses so I'll definitely be getting this new one. I also like the Camper, Biplane, and sports car. The car looks like the same design as the one in the Creator Town House.

I'm not all that enthused about the tow truck and garage, but may change my mind when I see them in person. The garage looks pretty substantial and it's got the classic segmented garage door in one bay.

I wonder when these sets will be out. Since LEGO doesn't publish mini-catalogs any more I really have no idea when stuff is due to be released. I'm expecting the rest of the Farm sets this month or next. I'd like to have some cows. I just checked LEGO Shop@Home and the Medievel Market Village (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=10193) is up for order.

Jargo
01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
from www.brickset.com

7638 Tow Truck
7639 Camper
7641 City Corner (bus stop set I presume)
7643 {air-show plane} (or stunt 'plane)
7642 Garage
7686 Helicopter Transporter
7747 Wind Turbine Transport
8402 Sports Car

The red sportscar looked like the one from 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe, but it's not. very similar looking but the front is different.

The city corner set looks to have a cafe and a small workshop. shame the bus door isn't cantilever but we can't have everything. the bus itself looks cool.

I think it's just great that so much effort is being put into reviving the city/town theme. I was slightly disappointed when i saw the construction sets, it seemed like the design ethos was shifting but these sets here disprove that.

and the medieval market village set is definitely going to be my next purchase. along with the jester from the castle advent calendar. I'll be turning the blacksmiths into a tacky gift shop and tea room.

there's three new castle sets (link on brickset) coming too. Troll's dark fortress, King's battle chariot and Drawbridge defense. they're so blurry and hard to make out it isn't worth posting them. Essentially it's a bunch of towers and a load of figures with the usual catapults and flames and swords stuff.

Ji'dai
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
If I didn't have such large CC bills due this month and next I'd probably pull the trigger on that Medieval Market Village. I think that that set is totally tubular and I'm not really a Castle guy.

I thought that Sports Car looked like the same design as the one from the Model Town House (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4954). I took a close-up pic of it:

It's really nifty, though a bit cramped even for a mini-fig.

Jargo
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
the new one looks like it has the car roof piece as a hood and trunk. with the very front being similar to the police car and yellow car from the filling station. it's really hard to see coz the picture is so bad. can't be too long before proper pics show up though.

DarkArtist
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
i'm in love with the Pirates sets from Lego. want to get a few as they remind me of childhood. the pirate sets were some fo the first Lego sets I had as a kid, besides the town and city sets.

Ji'dai
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
The Pirate sets are great! I have them all except for the small Cannon Battle (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6239&cn=554&d=70) and Pirate Survival (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8397&cn=554&d=70) ones.

So far I've built the Kraken Attackin', Soldier's Arsenal, and Loot Island, my favorite thus far. I love the new island baseplate, though you really need two to complete the island. It's also got the new LEGO fish and a tattered marooned pirate complete with long beard. Soldier's Arsenal is pretty basic; it's just a mini-fig and a weapons rack. Kraken Attackin' is alright; it's got a couple neat figs and a multi-colored parrot, which is a first.

There are unique soldier and pirate mini-figs in these sets, so in order to get them all, you have to buy all the sets. There's even a unique pirate fig in 6192 Pirate Building Set (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3316044), intended for younger builders and not actually part of the "Pirates" theme.

Walmart has started stocking these sets so I'd get them there or at Target. I bought most of mine at TRU before they raised prices.

Ji'dai
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I got the new Shop@Home catalog in the mail today. I didn't see anything I hadn't known about, so no big suprises. Close-up views of the Medieval Market Village make that set much more tempting though - it's got several LEGO fish and a version of the wench that's in the pirate sets (sans eyepatch).

Also saw a couple of books I'd like to have. Both came out in the middle of last year, but this is the first I'd heard of them.

LEGO Collector's Guide (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=810003) - $30. Features pics and info on nearly every set released since 1958. There was a premium edition available in Europe as well, which was hardcover and came with some specially-marked LEGO elements. Check out the review on Brothers-brick.com (http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/08/28/lego-collectors-guide-review/).

50 Years of the LEGO Brick (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=810002) - $45. I've read it's mostly a pictorial history of the company and doesn't have much text. I'd like to see some of the old catalogs and promotional materials reproduced in the book.

DarkArtist
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
some new pics of 2009 city sets. very fuzzy but they include a bus stop/station. Creator house. Camper van. red sports car. airshow biplane. tow truck and a matching service garage.

that bus stop looks awesome. might have to pick it up when i see it. camper van looks cool as well. will pass on the bi plane but might invest in the tow truck and sportscar and perhaps the service garage.

Jargo
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
here's some power miners and city.

the summer sets introduce a larger rock monster which seems a lot meaner.

on the helicoptor transporter pic there's a motorcycle coming out of the tunnel which I assume will be a pocket money priced set. I don't think it's included with the transporter set.

DarkArtist
01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
here's some power miners and city.

the summer sets introduce a larger rock monster which seems a lot meaner.

on the helicoptor transporter pic there's a motorcycle coming out of the tunnel which I assume will be a pocket money priced set. I don't think it's included with the transporter set.

that transporter set looks awesome, might have to get that one, the rest i can live without.

picked up Loot Island, the Kraken and Canon Battle Pirate sets yesterday at Walmart. love them. know all i need is the fort and the ship to complete the series

Jargo
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
the power miners don't interest me aside from a few parts. and the transporter doesn't really do it for me. I think the service garage and tow truck, plus the motorcycle if it gets released would satisfy my wants.

the colour interests me though. I don't know if my eyes are decieving me but it looks like a darker orange than mid orange. comparing it to the worker minifig on the dozer it looks darker anyway. it's definitely not red.

DarkArtist
01-23-2009, 09:01 PM
So far I've built the Kraken Attackin', Soldier's Arsenal, and Loot Island, my favorite thus far. I love the new island baseplate, though you really need two to complete the island. It's also got the new LEGO fish and a tattered marooned pirate complete with long beard. Soldier's Arsenal is pretty basic; it's just a mini-fig and a weapons rack. Kraken Attackin' is alright; it's got a couple neat figs and a multi-colored parrot, which is a first.

There are unique soldier and pirate mini-figs in these sets, so in order to get them all, you have to buy all the sets. There's even a unique pirate fig in 6192 Pirate Building Set (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3316044), intended for younger builders and not actually part of the "Pirates" theme.

picked up the the mini build a set with pirate. actually like it.

Ji'dai
01-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Are you talking about the Pirate Survival mini set? I've seen that one at TRU but was unwilling to pay $7 for it. WM should have it for half that price. I don't have the Cannon Battle yet.

Aside from the cute little rock monsters, Power Miners don't interest me at all.

I did see the Combine today at TRU. No sign of the farm yet.

Slicker
01-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I love that Bus Stop. I also love the townhouse and the corner market sets (forget the official names but they're the ones created by fans.) Please don't laugh at my lack of recent knowledge with LEGO!! I'm more of an old school (early 80's/90's) LEGO guy and still have a LOT of them put together).

The camper looks good but I prefer the one that I had. The Surf n' Sail Camper (http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/6351-1.jpg).

Just lookin' for that set led me to a bunch of sets that I wanted so bad and made me remember a bunch that I had/have. Man, the early 90's were awesome LEGO days.

EDIT: Here's the set that I bought (http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/4002-1.jpg)when I also bought my first Star Wars figure back. (which was Lando)

Jargo
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I can just see you playing with the bus stop set in your next apartment. :D is there a minifig that'll work as a Sandra Bullock?

Slicker
01-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I was just checkin' out that picture of the old camper (from my link) and LEGO made a red neck mini-fig. He's got a damn wife beater on...and it's got a monster truck on it! HAW!

DarkArtist
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Are you talking about the Pirate Survival mini set? I've seen that one at TRU but was unwilling to pay $7 for it. WM should have it for half that price. I don't have the Cannon Battle yet.

Aside from the cute little rock monsters, Power Miners don't interest me at all.

I did see the Combine today at TRU. No sign of the farm yet.

i'm refering to the mini set for kids, the one where you can build a mini Pirate Ship, Shark, turtle, treasure chest etc. for $10 it's not a bad deal. not sure if i'll get the the Pirate Survival set, looks to cheap for a $7- price tag.

DarkArtist
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
picked up the Coast Guard 4 Wheeler and Jet Ski and the new Town's People set. i think it's kinda cool that one of the towns people look like Gil Grissom from CSI : Vegas

Ji'dai
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I've come close to getting that Town People set but didn't want to pay $10-11 for it.

Jargo
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
shame there's nothing new in it. a few new city torso's would've been cool.

Jargo
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
slightly better pics of the bus stop, airshow plane, garage and sports car.

LusiferSam
01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Just lookin' for that set led me to a bunch of sets that I wanted so bad and made me remember a bunch that I had/have. Man, the early 90's were awesome LEGO days.

Oh yes. How can we forget the days when Lego was moving more towards the doll house style sets, odd color schemes, and the habitual use ramped base plate. That's not to say the early 90's didn't see more great sets, but there are a large number of duds too. I think the late 80's saw on the whole better sets. But then again it's just my opinion.

Ji'dai
01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
slightly better pics of the bus stop, airshow plane, garage and sports car. I usually buy the airplane sets, but I'm not liking the airshow plane. Must be the landing gear that makes it look odd.

Is that an ice cream vendor? I like that hairpiece on the figure. That set really reminds me of the short-lived Paradisa theme with its pastel colors intended to attract more girls to LEGO.

Jargo
01-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah the landing gear needs sorting out. There's something really clunky looking about the whole plane to me.

The bus stop set with it's bicycle repair shop and pizza parlour is really neat though. wonder if the pizza parlour will have much of an interior.

I'm thinking the sportscar set shows a breakdown phone point in the background next to the tree. The box art shows steam or smoke coming out of the car hood. and they've put a fair amount into the garage theme already. So i guess a car to go with the tow truck would seem logical.

Speaking of the garage I'm even more impressed with it now I can see it a bit better. A big tow truck for big vehicles, cool workshop space with plenty of tools and a nifty tyre rack. cool tracking winch. an office a decent looking rig and car. green crate and four minifigs. It's definitely on my must have list.

On the subject of girls, I'm so glad Lego have been doing all these new hair pieces lately. as a kid i was very frustrated that all the figures looked like the same person. Almost stepford wives like. The variety now when you try and people your city is really something. I still wish the minifigs had slightly longer arms and legs but hey, if lego determined we had a brick world populated by dwarves then so be it. Who am i to argue.

LusiferSam
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
On the subject of girls, I'm so glad Lego have been doing all these new hair pieces lately. as a kid i was very frustrated that all the figures looked like the same person. Almost stepford wives like. The variety now when you try and people your city is really something. I still wish the minifigs had slightly longer arms and legs but hey, if lego determined we had a brick world populated by dwarves then so be it. Who am i to argue.

Me too. A couple of years ago I got the idea recreate some group photos of me and my friends with mini-figures. The major problem with this was the hair. There was only a people I could accurately portray. One friend was totally impossible because of her waist length hair. Now with the Agent Trace hair piece, I think I can do everybody. Now the major problem is torso. I'm still waiting for a tie dye torso.

If you want bigger figures, Lego has two solutions. Jack Stone (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x272c01) and the Technic figure (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2698c01px2). I'm not sure Lego makes either any more(please be the case), so your tad limited on your population. Or you could go really old and try the homemaker figures (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/200-1).

Ji'dai
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't want LEGO to redesign the mini-fig! I'd hate to see a change in scale now after all these years.

I have some of the "Big People" from the early-mid 70s. I think I have a couple of the original mini-figs too - the ones with the blank heads and little nubs on the torso instead of arms.

The Belville people are similar to the Technic figures. I have a bunch of the Belville beach sets from the late 90s.

Then there was the short-lived Galador theme, a cartoon tie-in toy line. Galador figures sported interchangeable limbs.

Jargo
01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
noooo I don't want big lego people. nononononononono. I just sometimes look at the minifig and think they look a bit stubby and I phrased that post wrong. I do kinda hope that Lego do something in the castle theme with elves that maybe have longer legs making them taller. but no, after all these years i wouldn't want redesigned minifigs either. I have so many of them now to start re-peopling would be a nightmare. it's like skin colour. i'm a fan of yellow heads and hands. I only have one that isn't and that's a security guy from one of the spiderman sets I think. the one that's sort of mixed race looking. I don't think they look right in fleshtone.

I might add some black people at some point if I can find a few basketball players cheap but my city will mostly be traditional yellow skinned people. though a few minifigs with pale yellow heads and hands would feel ok. the ginger hair would look right on those lol.

Jargo
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
big catalogue scans here http://www.pockyland.net/viewthread.php?tid=10431 if the pics disappear i've saved them and will post them.

Jargo
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Brand new train set. S@H and LEGO store exclusive news on Lugnet http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3916 with small pics.

very pricey

Ji'dai
05-23-2009, 01:14 PM
The Space theme is back with a sextet of Space Police sets that are now hitting retail. I found the three smallest sets at TRU Friday evening. Space Police features human lawmen holding the line against a group of alien outlaw bikers. The aliens looked pretty cool so I picked up a couple sets:

5970 Freeze Ray Frenzy - 80 pieces, $10.99 front (http://i44.tinypic.com/2vamhki.jpg) back (http://i43.tinypic.com/206c7li.jpg) polybags (http://i42.tinypic.com/t8sxzd.jpg) extra pieces (http://i40.tinypic.com/nmyijq.jpg)
5971 Gold Heist - 205 pieces, $20.99 front (http://i39.tinypic.com/4q64j4.jpg) back (http://i40.tinypic.com/2nktjcl.jpg)

5970 Freeze Ray Frenzy (http://i41.tinypic.com/k3rdli.jpg) builds two interstellar crotch rockets, a stop sign, a streetlight, and has two mini-figs. There are about 10 decals (http://i44.tinypic.com/zxa2d0.jpg) to apply, mostly on the outlaw’s bike. I’m not sure why it’s called Freeze Ray Frenzy. Maybe the Space Police use a freeze ray to subdue speeding spacers?

The coolness of the alien figure’s head and the neat factor of the bikes compelled me to buy this set. The alien is called Kranxx (http://i44.tinypic.com/2pu00m9.jpg) and has several tentacle protuberances on his head. The Space Police mini-figs (http://i43.tinypic.com/b7xw5i.jpg) are rather disappointing. The torso and leg decos are basic body armor and the figure wears a football helmet with a visor. This just doesn’t seem like it would protect the user from the rigors of working in a vacuum. Personally, I’d rather the helmet were like the Classic Space kind with the chin strap. When I first bought the set I didn’t think the figure (http://i39.tinypic.com/x6kkzs.jpg) even had an airtank, but it does come with a black one.

The police bike (http://i42.tinypic.com/2s8g5s8.jpg) is built using the 3-wheeler chassis (http://i44.tinypic.com/fwlq2w.jpg) as a base. The vehicle (http://i44.tinypic.com/35mi5x4.jpg) is pretty basic but looks good enough when complete. The bike (http://i39.tinypic.com/303hhjo.jpg) also uses these sloping vent pieces (http://i40.tinypic.com/345n0u9.jpg), which I’m not sure are new elements or not. There are two “flick” missiles, which can be deployed against a reckless driver who refuses to yield.

Kranxx’s bike (http://i42.tinypic.com/2dj9ppy.jpg) is just a big rocket (http://i42.tinypic.com/123wspw.jpg) with four stabilizing fins on the nose and tail. The decals, which feature “scratches,” graffiti, and a rather neat-looking skull, really help define the look of the vehicle (http://i43.tinypic.com/2077y8m.jpg). A giant flame element (http://i41.tinypic.com/vopkli.jpg) explodes out of the rear afterburner. This looks to be a new piece as well.

The set also builds two traffic signs - a stop sign and a streetlight. The stop sign consists of three parts and “STOP” decal in a futuristic font. The street light has eight pieces and would work well in an Town setup.

Overall, I’m not sure this set was worth $11 for just a scant 80 pieces. I actually only paid $9.93 using a “$5 off a $25 dollar” purchase coupon, but there is just not much to “Freeze Ray Frenzy.” I’m still enamored with the alien figure and like the overall look of the set though.

5971 Gold Heist builds a mid-sized police patrol vehicle and a small surface scooter. The set has a human police officer and a green lizard like alien with four arms (two are battle droid arms) called Frenzy. I thought the patrol vehicle looked pretty tough based on the box pics. I haven’t opened this one yet so I’ll post more after I build it.

I also saw the smallest $7 set and a $35 medium range set. The smallest set features a squid-like alien with bulbous eyes and a small police skimmer. The medium range set builds a totally cool outlaw biker space truck with spikes and chains hauling a giant yellow crate that conceals a space laser.

The two largest sets are pictured in the instructions. 5973 builds a police vehicle and an outlaw car that reminds me of that Transformers Animated Decepticon, Lockdown. 5974 is the huge police command ship that looks to include incarceration pods for captured outlaws.

LusiferSam
05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Geez, Blacktron has let it's standards for recruitment slip. Looks they'll let anybody join these days. :p

I wasn't that big a fan of SP I or SP II. I can't see myself buying these. The Kranxx mini-figure would be cool if he were standard yellow rather than orange. None of the elements really excite me that much. The color schemes aren't that bad, clearly better than SP II. The flame piece looks like a Bionicle element. For some odd reason it reminds me of a cartoon I use to watch as a little kid.

I'd like to see the rest of the line.

Ji'dai
05-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Here are pics of the other Space Police sets. I scanned them from the instructions from the sets I bought:

5969 (http://i41.tinypic.com/2uqhf2w.jpg)

5972 (http://i42.tinypic.com/16k7rdv.jpg)

5973 (http://i40.tinypic.com/2qco5jo.jpg)

5974 (http://i41.tinypic.com/2ztbus6.jpg)

Alien Line-Up (http://i43.tinypic.com/11hue8n.jpg)

I also saw new Town, Creator, Castle, and Agents sets at TRU Friday. I was more tempted to get the Town sets, but I'm not paying TRU's ridiculous markup price. They had a city street scene with a great city bus, a truck stop/garage, a semi trailer with helicopter, and a fantastic looking camper/rv, plus a few other truck/cargo vehicles. Agents 2.0 has a full line of new sets and Castle continues with its trolls and ogres. The Creator set is a semi trailer car hauler. I'm hoping that the release of the new Indiana Jones sets isn't far off.

Ji'dai
05-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Space Police
5971 Gold Heist 205 pieces, $20.99 front (http://i39.tinypic.com/4q64j4.jpg) back (http://i40.tinypic.com/2nktjcl.jpg) polybags (http://i42.tinypic.com/iddpwl.jpg) extra pieces (http://i43.tinypic.com/xc7x1l.jpg)

Gold Heist buids a mid-size police patrol ship / transporter and a small surface scooter for the bad guy. There is also a small safe with that holds the “gold” 1x2 tiles. There are ten decals (http://i40.tinypic.com/9a49q8.jpg) to apply, all of which go on the police vehicle.

There are two mini-figures (http://i41.tinypic.com/2aakb3a.jpg): one police officer (http://i42.tinypic.com/2pzi636.jpg) with two pair of handcuffs and an alien (http://i44.tinypic.com/3508j5y.jpg). The alien, called “Frenzy,” is insectoid in appearance and is kind of unique in the way it‘s constructed (http://i41.tinypic.com/xokye8.jpg). (I thought it was reptillian at first glance). The fig has two torsos - a standard mini-fig torso and another torso that goes on top of the first with posts for battle droid arms and a non-articulated head. Although the head doesn’t turn, the upper torso will rotate on the bottom one, so the two sets of arms can be positioned in different directions. Those two sets of arms (http://i41.tinypic.com/nejd03.jpg) are the reason there's two pair of handcuffs in the set.

Frenzy’s little scooter can be attached (http://i42.tinypic.com/2rxtjds.jpg) to the gold safe and carried off to whatever wretched hive of scum and villainy this alien gang calls home.

I think the police patrol ship (http://i40.tinypic.com/e664c7.jpg) is pretty cool. All four maneuvering thrusters (http://i40.tinypic.com/11ca59h.jpg) can be rotated as well as the tail fins. The cockpit is open-air, meaning that the pilot is exposed to the vacuum of space, but the police officer doesn’t come with an air tank. These space police must be hardy fellows to be able to survive in space without protective gear :rolleyes: The cockpit's roof and ship's nose (http://i41.tinypic.com/5pl6pt.jpg) open in opposite directions, which is kind of neat. The gold safe is transported in the rear of the craft (http://i40.tinypic.com/23gxqw8.jpg) under the tail (http://i39.tinypic.com/33m7as3.jpg). Two retractable Technic pins hold and lock the safe in place.

As you can see from the pics, one of the maneuvering thrusters is not attached. That’s because my set didn’t have enough Technic connectors so I wasn’t able to attach it. I’ll have to contact LEGO customer service to get one sent out to me. Until then, I’ll have to cannibalize one from my collection.

Aside from the missing piece, I do like the ship in Gold Heist and I’m growing more attached to the theme after building my second set. The aliens are cool and would work in a Star Wars set up too. Hopefully we’ll see a base or two next year with crater plates!

---

LEGO Shop@Home (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=339&d=9) has some of the new Town sets up for order now. I thought TRU's prices were high, but LEGO's prices are the same :sur:

This page (http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=5969&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US) has the Space Police sets. They are cheaper than TRU.

Ji'dai
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
The new sports car (http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=8402) has been added to LEGO Shop@Home website, but it says it's not available in the US.

Ji'dai
06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
More new summer sets have been released:

Exclusives

Grand Carousel (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10196&cn=245&d=100) ($250) - This is a beautiful set. It's mini-fig scale, plays music and spins, but it seems awfully big to be integrated into a Town set-up. I could probably live without it.

Creator

Family Home (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6754&cn=348) - Not yet available for order. I love the look of it and have not missed one of these house sets yet. Definitely will be getting it.

Fiery Legend (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6751&cn=348) ($40) - builds a cool looking dragon. If I found it on clearance, I'd probably get it.

Fire Rescue (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6752&cn=348) - Not yet available. Builds a ladder truck, helicopter, or off-road vehicle. I guess these sets are the new Model Team, but I'm not really interested in this one.

There's also going to be a firehouse that goes with the Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, and Market Street. It's due in September. Check out pics of 10197 Fire Brigade (http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/06/14/10197-fire-brigade-vintage-lego-firestation-coming-sept-2009-news/) here. This is definitely a must-have for me.

Another must-have is the holiday-themed Christmas House (http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=299). Christmas isn't my favorite holiday; I'd much rather have a Halloween haunted house. I'll probably get this set though.

Ji'dai
07-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I saw a whole slew of new LEGO sets at TRU this morning.

They had the entire Space Police theme (except for the mini promo sets). I really like this theme for some reason. I think it's the colors and the aliens. There's a limited edition set in this theme I wasn't aware of - it's called Squidman's Pit Stop - think "Monster Garage" in space. The biggest set, the $100 Galactic Enforcer, even has a classic spaceman in it, which I hadn't noticed before. He's all white and meant to be a statue that the alien in the set is dragging behind him on a chain attached to his speeder. Kind of funny actually. I can just see interstellar communities with statues dedicated to those intrepid Spacemen of the late '70s early '80s.

Also saw the Creator sets Family Home and Fire Rescue. I had a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon so I bought the Family Home, which normally retails for $60.

Town has some new additions - there's a flat-bed semi truck transporting a wind turbine (Octan is going green). There was another but I'm drawing a blank as I write this.

Agents 2.0 had a giant robot (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8970&cn=543&d=70) like the ones used in Mars Attacks! It has a big clear hinged dome for a head, which looked like a new part to me.

DarkArtist
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
picked up the new City convertible set at Walmart today. nice little car set for kids to put together

Ji'dai
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I picked up the new Sports Car and the Tractor today. TRU has a 25% sale on certain sets (SW, and Farm mostly), which I didn't know about. I don't think they had an ad in the paper this week. The Tractor ended up being $11.24. The Combine is $36, which is right for a 360 piece set. The Farm is $68.

The SW sets on sale are the Twilight and Magnaguard Fighter.

Ji'dai
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
10197 Fire Brigade (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=10197) appeared on Shop@Home last night. I ordered it this morning along with a few other Town & SW sets. Can't beat the free shipping deal. Great time to get some of the LEGO exclusives not available at mass retail.

I noticed that Green Grocer is on sale for $120. That's a fantastic set!

Ji'dai
10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
The festive 10199 Winter Toy Shop (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10199&cn=245) debuted on LEGO Shop@Home today. It has 815 pieces, 7 figures, a light-up feature, and costs $60.

Free shipping on orders of $75 or more ends October 12!

LusiferSam
10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Darn, you beat me to it. The two carolers look very Dickensian with the rosy cheeks. The description says it's in the Town Plan style. Cool, but I think I'm going to pass.

Ji'dai
10-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't know how you can resist it. I put my order in right before I posted.

Ji'dai
10-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I got my Winter Toy Shop yesterday. Looks really cool. It's got a Jester hat in it too. I thought I was going to have to buy a Castle set to get that. I'll probably put it away until after Thanksgiving, then build it and put it on display.

Also ordered this LEGO Ruler (http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=852759&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US) after I saw it in the latest Shop@Home catalog. You can use it to measure stud length or the height of walls easily. Its also got slots to quickly measure Technic axles.

DarkArtist
10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
that Winter Toy Shop is really nice... definately gonna have to pick that up... also like the Firehouse set as well. want to see more pics before shelling out the $150 pricetag.

LusiferSam
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know how you can resist it. I put my order in right before I posted.
It's pretty easy. I'm not that into Town sets, so they really have to spark my interest. Also I'm not a fan of the seasonal stuff. I think it's great Lego does this, but me for personally it's not an appealing factor. Now I do get the advent calendars. 1. I find them fun. 2. A large majorly of set isn't seasonal and could be used else where.

Also ordered this LEGO Ruler (http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=852759&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US) after I saw it in the latest Shop@Home catalog. You can use it to measure stud length or the height of walls easily. Its also got slots to quickly measure Technic axles.
I also saw this in the S@H catalog, but hadn't really payed an attention to it. Interesting little item. I might put it on my X-mas list. The major problem I see with it is the lack of fractional measurements. The height ruler should be ruled into thirds. Bricks are pretty easy for me to count in terms of height, plates can sometimes be problematic.

Ji'dai
10-09-2009, 11:00 PM
that Winter Toy Shop is really nice... definately gonna have to pick that up... also like the Firehouse set as well. want to see more pics before shelling out the $150 pricetag. I wasn't all that excited about the firehouse from the product photos I'd seen on the net. However, after I received and built it, I was very impressed. It's beautiful.

Since Cafe Corner, LEGO has packed more detail into each successive release. Like the last release in the line, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade has a detailed, furnished interior, and the rear is also as pleasing to look at as the front. The firehouse has a classic rolling garage door in front and two large carriage doors in the rear, so the fire engine can drive through the back and come out the front of the building.

One of the neatest things is the construction date at the top of the building, "1932," which is actually constructed from bricks. When I was putting that together I had no idea what I was building, it looked so weird. Then I noticed the numbers taking shape and thought that was the coolest thing. I thought the bell might be a single-mold piece, but it's actually constructed from parts and could pass for the Liberty Bell.

I don't have any regrets getting the Fire Brigade and highly recommend it. I wish I had my Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer assembled so I could connect all four together.

It's pretty easy. I'm not that into Town sets, so they really have to spark my interest. Also I'm not a fan of the seasonal stuff. I think it's great Lego does this, but me for personally it's not an appealing factor. Now I do get the advent calendars. 1. I find them fun. 2. A large majorly of set isn't seasonal and could be used else where. I've never bothered with the advent calendars; the sets are too small and didn't seem worth the money. I don't really care for seasonal sets either. I didn't get the pumpkin packs, easter stuff, or the Christmas Train when they came out. But I love System Town buildings & houses and simply cannot pass them up.

I also saw this in the S@H catalog, but hadn't really payed an attention to it. Interesting little item. I might put it on my X-mas list. The major problem I see with it is the lack of fractional measurements. The height ruler should be ruled into thirds. Bricks are pretty easy for me to count in terms of height, plates can sometimes be problematic. That's a good point about the plates. There is also a measurment tool along the hypotenuse of the ruler, numbered 1-15. The ruler has a little curved hook one end of that and I can't figure out what that side is for.

DarkArtist
10-24-2009, 04:27 PM
picked up and put together the following :

City Tow Truck
Hoth Echo Base (small version)
Green Sports Car (made the Hot Rod version)

really starting to get interested in the Space Police sets (haven't gotten any yet though)

still have the following to put together just waiting for more room:

Indiana Jones : Peril in Peru
Star Wars : Anakin's Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars : Ashoka's Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter

DarkArtist
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
so couldn't wait any longer and put together the Peril in Peru set as well as both Jedi Starfighters on Sunday... love the Peru set, the plane is amazing and the extra vehicles are nice as well.