PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Prices

PAA_707
08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
My god I knew KB was ridiculous, but who do they think they are jackin their prices up. Their figures were $8.99 for the first few weeks, now all of a sudden they jack em up to $9.99. That is ****in crazy. Same price as about a Comic pack at Walmart. The only way I'm buyin one there is if they ever get a Scuba Clone, or if I can't find blue trim Clones. I see the blue trims every so often, but have passed thinkin I'll see them again.

DarkArtist
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
the 501st Clone Trooper is a Walmart exclusive so if you see it you might want to pick it up as i doubt you'll ever see it in KB.

i agree that the prices are insane, Kohls Department Store is the same with pricing $9.99 for basic and $20.99 for comic packs when they have them.

mtriv73
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
the 501st Clone Trooper is a Walmart exclusive so if you see it you might want to pick it up as i doubt you'll ever see it in KB.

i agree that the prices are insane, Kohls Department Store is the same with pricing $9.99 for basic and $20.99 for comic packs when they have them.

At least Kohl's puts them on sale regularly. I've gotten several figures there over the years and never paid more than half of the listed price. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on that place for all my collecting needs though.

I noticed that the TRU in my town bumped up their prices to 7.99 for basic figs. There were 3 I would have bought at 6.99, but I passed on all of them at that price. I can find them at WM for more than a buck less...for now.

Neuroleptic
08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
The ONLY things I buy at Wally Wold are Star Wars figures. The increase in price to 7.99 everywhere else has me furious, because I can find these figures for next to nothing in six months to a year on E-bay.

If the prices get much higher, I will probably stop collecting. 8 bucks a figure is edging much closer to 10 bucks each than I'd like, and they just aren't worth it at that price. I know we have all this inflation going on, but since the line re-launched, figures have officaly reached a price increase of 100 percent, and that's just crazy to me.

Well, I shouldn't say I'd stop collecting. I'd just buy the figures unpackaged on E-bay a year after they are out for about four or five dollars including shipping.

JON9000
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I think higher prices increases the odds of peg warmers. Whenever there is a resculpt that is only marginally better or a new figure that is less than inspiring (like Jerjerrod), the dynamic shifts even more towards passing.

Neuroleptic
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
I think higher prices increases the odds of peg warmers. Whenever there is a resculpt that is only marginally better or a new figure that is less than inspiring (like Jerjerrod), the dynamic shifts even more towards passing.

Can you emagine how many of the TFU Darth Vaders are going to be clogging the shelves by X-Mass time?

Old Fossil
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I know the price increase is not helping move the Indiana Jones line any faster. More's the pity. I think it may be safe to wait for clearance on most of the RotLA and KotCS figures. Both the Wal-Marts I frequent are loaded down with those figures.

I suspect it may be huring the GI Joe line as well. They were a good value for a while.

Kidhuman
08-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Can you imagine how many of the TFU Darth Vaders are going to be clogging the shelves by X-Mas time?

I doubt it since they will be bought for Christmas gifts. Vader does sell to kids

Mvader91
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
It is ridiculous! Joes and Jones are 7.99 at TRU Target, ANd Meijer. I think the Star Wars hike prompted the multi-line increase.

cookiemonster
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I reckon its going to get like the comic industry did, and then they will be forced to cut prices again.

Unfortunately its just a waiting game.

El Chuxter
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Trouble is, the comics industry should cut prices, even if it means downgrading from that super-glossy paper and putting ads back in. They just are too thick-headed to see that.

PAA_707
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Uh you are mixed up buddy. I actually already have 3 501st Troopers, I was one of the first people around here to see them in Wal-Mart. And actually only 1 Wal-Mart in the area has put them out.

Anyhow when I say the blue trim Clone trooper I mean exactly that. It's part of the Legacy Collection he's called a regular Clone Trooper but he has light blue trim on his outfit. He's also got a huge gun he holds in front with 2 hands.

Banthaholic
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
KB toys have has high prices since E2 came out almost 6 years ago. Not the best place to make a cheap run. If you're looking for bargains you'll need some luck.

Old Fossil
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Uh you are mixed up buddy. I actually already have 3 501st Troopers, I was one of the first people around here to see them in Wal-Mart. And actually only 1 Wal-Mart in the area has put them out.

Anyhow when I say the blue trim Clone trooper I mean exactly that. It's part of the Legacy Collection he's called a regular Clone Trooper but he has light blue trim on his outfit. He's also got a huge gun he holds in front with 2 hands.

DarkArtist probably means the animated style Clone, while you must be referring to the standard (non-animated) blue AOTC clone lieutenant?...

Mvader91
08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup:
DarkArtist probably means the animated style Clone, while you must be referring to the standard (non-animated) blue AOTC clone lieutenant?...
I concur, the top of the card and also the face of the card either has a clone or stormtooper. Your blue stiped clone has a stormtrooper face. Hence 501st Clone wars written on the card. Then your clone which says Legacy collection.

Kidhuman
08-21-2008, 07:33 PM

You mean the clone with the Cip Cannon.

PAA_707
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
You mean the clone with the Cip Cannon.

That sounds about right. I went back there today, they had 2 more 501st Troopers, but I as feelin some other thangs right now so, I passed. I have 3 anyway.

AmanaMatt
08-23-2008, 02:02 PM
I will not pay $7.99 or higher for a figure in a retail store, so Walmart is the only game in town for me....if they raise their price, I will buy very, very little and stick with OT exclusively

Blue2th
08-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Figures are already peg warming at Walmart for $6.98 though mostly the animated line. what makes TRU or Target think they're going to sell them at $7.99. They are in la-la land.

Old Fossil
08-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Figures are already peg warming at Walmart for $6.98 though mostly the animated line. what makes TRU or Target think they're going to sell them at $7.99. They are in la-la land.

Agreed. It's like 1999 and TPM all over again. WM seems to be moving figures faster than Target or TRU, but they are still not exactly flying off the pegs. I can still easily find the more uncommon ones like the Mon Calamari, Quarren, Clone armor Obi-Wan, snowbunny Padme, and Bane Malar.

Now I see that WM has raised their prices on Comic packs to almost $12.:upset:

TeeEye7
08-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Amen.

Jerjerrod is still collecting dust at my Target!

Neuroleptic
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Here, it's a bit of the opposite. They had two end caps and an upsized space for star wars figures. Now they only have a few reminents on the end cap, (Big milenium falcon X1 target exclusive clone trooper) and a hand full of figures in the actual space usualy reserved for figures (clone trooper clones X8 Aprox., and AT-TE X1.).

Wal Mart in my area was nearly two weeks late getting the new inventory on the shelves. They did manage to sell out an entire palet display, but they could have done much better if they had moved a bit faster.

So now Wal Mart has several figures just rotting away.

TIE Pilot
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, I thought KB was bad at $9.99 for Clone Wars and Legacy figures. That is untill I walked into a Walgreens near my home to see Saga figures for $10.49 each.

Qui-Long Gone
09-08-2008, 04:21 PM
The K-Mart out here sells figs for over $9 a pop....when they have "clearance" prices, the figure drops to $7! WTF

KB still exists?
*speaking of which, there used to be a great KB in a town called Plainfield, Indiana (the name says it all). Back before TPM finished its run you could stock up on POTF and PM figures for dirt cheep....then the store got leveled for a mall....sigh.....

People shop for figures at Walgreens? :D

Kidhuman
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I have bought a figure or two at Wal-Green. They used to be 6.99 here so it wasnt too bad. I dont check there everyday, but when I have to get a prescription or something then I check their inventory

Qui-Long Gone
09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
KH, your Walgreens reminds me of the Ben Franklin stores when I was a kid, you could get everything there, toys, candy, comics, drugs.....lol

The last Ben Frank I knew of was in Northwest Ohio near Toledo (Bowling Green to be specific)....early 2000/late-1990s.....do these stores exist anymore?

Ji'dai
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
KB still exists?
*speaking of which, there used to be a great KB in a town called Plainfield, Indiana (the name says it all). Back before TPM finished its run you could stock up on POTF and PM figures for dirt cheep....then the store got leveled for a mall....sigh..... That Toy Works in Plainfield was a nice store. Great place to get old LEGO in the late 90s. I got my two Watto's Boxes there - first time I'd seen them at retail though they'd been "officially" released a year before - on clearance for less than half the regular price. There were lots of small KBs and Toy Works all over Indianapolis at that time. Now I think there's only one left in the entire city.

Ando
09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
FYI, TRU has a grandparents discount card available this week through Saturday for 20% off any one item. You have to be 50+ (they request ID), but I had my mom grab another AT-TE for me.

Neuroleptic
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
There were lots of small KBs and Toy Works all over Indianapolis at that time. Now I think there's only one left in the entire city.

There is only ONE KB toy store in Kansas nowadays . . . and it's an outlet store.

And I'm not entierly sure that it's still open today. It's been about two years since I last saw it.

Kidhuman
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I stopped by Walgreens today and saw they were 9.99 in there. I guess even that spontaneous buy wont be happening anymore

pbarnard
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
The last Ben Frank I knew of was in Northwest Ohio near Toledo (Bowling Green to be specific)....early 2000/late-1990s.....do these stores exist anymore?

Yes we have one in Iowa City, but it's pretty craptacular if you're not into the latest hobby lobby meets Micahels meets your grandma's attic.

I just chalk up the people who charged more for things before still are. They're raising their prices to cover the cost of diesel for their fleets. The higher priced stores draw from a different economic section than wal-mart who'll take razor thin margins and kill everyone on the economy of scale (although they are sliding a bit too with the diesel). It's all about oil in the end. Oil for the trucks, oil for the figures to make.

Qui-Long Gone
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Frakking oil!

I saw some SW figs on sale last night marked down from $9.99 to $8.50....WHAT A STEAL!!!! :rolleyes:

Bar
09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
You guys are SPOILED in the US for having such LOW prices...
If you only knew what we pay in the UK, you really would blow a gasket...
I was in a local TRU here in Scotland today, and they had the hologram Grievous at the low low price of $25...
The Dagger squad B-Wing is $60 and the new Falcon is $300.
I had to pay $40 for the Grievous Starfighter.
Good times...
Good times...
You don't know how good you have it!!!
Bar.

Ando
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I was in a local TRU here in Scotland today, and they had the hologram Grievous at the low low price of $25...
Good times...
Good times...
Bar.

I know you guys have it rough over there.

Everything comes out later there than here and is double the price, yes?

Bar
09-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I know you guys have it rough over there.

Everything comes out later there than here and is double the price, yes?

That's exactly the way of it.
I haven't even seen a V-19 over here yet...
Bar.

Ando
09-12-2008, 03:39 PM
That's exactly the way of it.
I haven't even seen a V-19 over here yet...
Bar.

Then I won't take the four that I have for granted.

BTW: When you do get one, you'll probably want to evaluate the wings. The "stops" that they use to keep the wings in the 45 degree angle flight position don't work *that* great.

Bar
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Then I won't take the four that I have for granted.

BTW: When you do get one, you'll probably want to evaluate the wings. The "stops" that they use to keep the wings in the 45 degree angle flight position don't work *that* great.

I have a good idea for new stops.
They will be an easy fix(I will make a new piece to screw onto the hull where the sings SHOULD stop).
It will be fairly unobtrusive.
And thanks for taunting me dude...:sad:
Bar.

Ando
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I have a good idea for new stops.
They will be an easy fix(I will make a new piece to screw onto the hull where the sings SHOULD stop).
It will be fairly unobtrusive.
And thanks for taunting me dude...:sad:
Bar.

I wasn't trying to taunt you about the V-19's.

Bar
09-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I wasn't trying to taunt you about the V-19's.

It's okay!
I was just kidding!
Bar.

Ando
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
If I was trying to taunt you, I would have told you that I haven't paid full price for any of my AT-TE's ($89.99 for 1 and $79.99 for 2).

Bar
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
If I was trying to taunt you, I would have told you that I haven't paid full price for any of my AT-TE's ($89.99 for 1 and $79.99 for 2).

I paid 99.99 for mine.
And that's $200 to you...
Bar.

Ando
09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I know dude. I feel for you. I don't think I'd be into it if they were that expensive here in the states. We are spoiled.

Neuroleptic
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM

hehehehe . . . you are a mean mean man.

Luckily, I live in America too! This ALMOST makes me feel better about the higher prices.

Almost.

Bar
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I know dude. I feel for you. I don't think I'd be into it if they were that expensive here in the states. We are spoiled.

Indeed.
I am not that into it either, unless the cool vehicles are closer to 1/24 than 1/18. And most of them are.
Bar.

Blue2th
09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Good times...
Good times...
Bar.
Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, the dollar is only worth about 55 cents to the British Pound exchange rate. So really you are paying almost the same as we are? give or take a few.
Of course that would mean you are paying $8 per gallon of gas (petrol) to go on any toy hunts right? Oh I forgot you guys have liters over there nevermind. :)

Ando
09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, the dollar is only worth about 55 cents to the British Pound exchange rate. So really you are paying almost the same as we are? give or take a few.

I think you might have it wrong... The British pound is worth $1.78+, so when they pay 20 British pounds for a V-19 or Spider Droid, they're paying the equivalent to $35-$40 US dollars.

El Chuxter
09-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Wanna talk ridiculous? I picked up one of those WM exclusive Force Unleashed Shadow Stormtrooper sets and took it to the register. The cashier pulled out a machete. "What's that for?" I asked. To which she responded, "These cost an arm and a leg. Are you right-handed or left-handed?"

Needless to say I put that overpriced carp back.

Bar
09-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Of course that would mean you are paying $8 per gallon of gas (petrol) to go on any toy hunts right? Oh I forgot you guys have liters over there nevermind. :)

We do have Litres... But the price for a Litre of petrol here(It can vary wildly depending where you are), is about 1.20(Or $2.40 to you). That means it's around $11 for a gallon(And that price is the LOWER end of the scale. I have seen pump prices as high as 1.50 per litre in cities).
And your currency conversion is incorrect. Ando got it right below:

I think you might have it wrong... The British pound is worth $1.78+, so when they pay 20 British pounds for a V-19 or Spider Droid, they're paying the equivalent to $35-$40 US dollars.

To be perfectly fair, i know where Blue2th went wrong. If i got a suitcase and WENT TO THE US, i would get favourable prices, which would mean me paying susbtantially less, due to an also-favorable exchange rate.
But if i factor in the cost of the flights, and accomodation, the saving would be back to nothing.
It kind of irks me in one way, but on the other hand, SW toys are not a neccessity, so i can take them or leave them.
But i really want to get one of those V-19s!!! :D
My posts here are honestly not meant to dig at anyone, and i will apologise if they seem that way. I find this forum invaluable for SW toy info, and really enjoy hearing about the products i will be seeing in the future(From my point of view, of course, as you guys already have them!).
Bar.

Ando
09-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Wanna talk ridiculous? I picked up one of those WM exclusive Force Unleashed Shadow Stormtrooper sets and took it to the register. The cashier pulled out a machete. "What's that for?" I asked. To which she responded, "These cost an arm and a leg. Are you right-handed or left-handed?"

Needless to say I put that overpriced carp back.

So how much are they in American money?

El Chuxter
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
For real, they're $14.99. Sorta steep for a reissue non-army builder Imperial and two poorly repainted Stormtroopers.

Ando
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, that's no good.

jamesbondo07
09-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I found the new comic 2-packs today at Target. However they are $13. That made me put them back real fast. The only good place to shop at a ok price anymore is Wal-Mart and online.