PDA

View Full Version : The Force Unleashed novel is coming soon

OC47150
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I got a sales flyer from Borders today saying you can pick up TFU novel for 40 percent off. I don't think I'll rush out and get it, but I figured a few of you would.

El Chuxter
08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Has anyone told Bubo?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Two words: lie berry

That's where I'm gonna try to read it, then wait for the paperback in another 8 months, as I usually do.

OC47150
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Has anyone told Bubo?

I don't know, but he should here real soon.

Darth Jax
08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
coming soon? it's already available.

Banthaholic
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Read the GN from cover to cover as soon as I got it. Story is tight. Can't wait for others also to read it so we can discuss.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I was thinking about getting the trade paperback; guess I'll have to settle for the graphic novel. :rolleyes: Wonderful, %-off coupons are.

Tycho
08-26-2008, 04:40 AM
I got the comic trade paperback (the collected comic books in a bound volume) and started reading it immediately. So far it's really good. I take these slowly sometimes, and try to absorb the material and think about the story. It helps you enjoy something rather than rush through it. It's against my habitual nature, so it's something I'm working on. So far, so good.

I gathered that Mariss Brood was Shaak-Ti's padawan and Juno Eclipse probably goes Rebel and becomes an ally of Bail Organa's.

Vader's Apprentice is code-named Starkiller. (c'mon - that's not really a spoiler as to his REAL identity - which I do not know is for certain yet).

Anyway, a graphic novel is like the Dark Forces books - mostly text, with illustrations. Just the technical language of the trade that I learned (hopefully correctly).

[UPDATE] OK - who else has a problem with Starkiller, a HUMAN, being thrown out a star destroyer's window into the emptiness of space, and then LIVING after a probot rescued him? YOU CAN'T BE EXPOSED TO THE VACUUM OF SPACE WITHOUT A SPACESUIT! Are the author and artist retarded?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I also got the graphic novel, and I sure hope the novel's better than it. That was the worst graphic novel/trade paperback that I have ever read, I'm sorry. I'm sure the game is great to see and play, but that comic was flat, uninteresting, disjointed, and stale. Ugh. If I can, I'll check out the novel from the library, as I always try (and lately, often fail to do), but if I can't, I won't cry about it. :waitforthepaperbackversion:

Darth Jax
08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
i read the novel bcj and there isn't any reason not to wait for paperback (unless you can find it at the library. the novel is fairly disjointed in the beginning. it isn't until the very end that it seems to find its pace and the storytelling settles into something resembling a plotline. sounds like it'll make an interesting game, for those of you that do that kinda thing.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Still haven't seen it available at any of my libraries yet, but it was #1 on the best seller hardcover fiction list this week. That's pretty impressive, actually. (or can I say "literally" for that? :p :lameliteraryjoke: )

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Got it from another library (there are four branches near me), and am about a third of the way into it. I'm gonna hold off on my comments until I'm completely finished, because as of right now, it could possibly be THE WORST STAR WARS NOVEL EVER WRITTEN. :eek: And that includes Truce at Bakura, Queen of Empire, or New Rebellion.

Tycho
10-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight were worse than those!

I read the comic book adaptation of Force Unleashed first to see if I was remotely interested in the storyline before I devoted time to reading the novel (which I bought).

I will NOT be reading the novel in the near future. It's just a lucky sale for Del Rey - lucky that I'm a Star Wars book collector.

Darth Jax
10-03-2008, 07:03 AM
i just get a little tired that every new force user is so much more powerful than any we've seen onscreen. from what we've been shown, the good little jedi basically only use the force for self-preservation. the sith we've seen use it for attack have basically only force choked people, hurled some lightning or tossed around loose objects.

OC47150
10-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight were worse than those!

My vote's for Shatterpoint. Worst. SW. Book. Ever.

Darth Metalmute
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
This had potential to be a very good novel, comic, game, etc. But the ending ruined it. Vader was supposed to be the strongest jedi, and with out spoiling it for others, The last battle should have been (game wise) Starkiller keeping Vader busy enough for his Rebel friends to escape. Then Vader killing Starkiller out of anger for his failure to keep the prisoners. Instead, we got what we did.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm about 5-6 chapters from finishing. The book has flatlined, and I can't remember a SW novel that's done that for this long before. To paraphrase Obi-Wan, "I fear something terrible [will] happen..."

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
To paraphrase Obi-Wan, "I fear something terrible [will] happen...""... as if a million EU fans suddenly gave up, and stayed silent. You'd better get on with your [anything else]."

This is, in my humble, think-I've-read-every-SW-novel-ever-written-so-far opinion, the worst Star Wars Expanded Universe novel. Ever. Worse than The Truce at Bakura. Worse than Children of the Jedi, worse than The New Rebellion, worse than Queen of the Empire. Just awful. Why?

[Spoilers, of course]

- plot issues (I had to re-read to find out HOW it was possible to fight on the surface of the Death Star, let alone WHY they would do it... too many times did characters "die," only to come back, and sometimes BETTER for it... tried too hard to be like the video game in its style, and failed to keep my interest because of it)
- ending (completely disregards the fact that one has to LEARN how to become "one with the Force," or even earn that right)
- dialogue (worse than a video game, worse than Ahsoka [really] or Jar-Jar in some cases)

Just terrible.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2008, 09:49 AM
I got sucked in with the purdy pitchurs and a coupon, but I'd forgotten I'd bought The Art and Making of The Force Unleashed a couple months back. I'm reading like a coffee table book; a couple pages at a time. Ugh. Even the steps towards creating this book are laborious and dull... :sad: But I likes the purdy pitchurs inside...

OC47150
01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
My library had a copy of TFU, which surprised me. I finished it over the weekend.

It wasn't bad, but back in the fall I watched some friends play the game. Whenever I came to a chapter that I saw unfold through the game, it was like deja vu. Fortunately, I didn't see the entire game played so the Death Star showdown was interesting.

Like Bel-Cam, I was a little puzzled about fighting on the DS's surface, but figured it some sort of shield was employed.

Definitely not one of the worst, but I think novels shouldn't be adapted from video games any more.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I checked out the library's copy today. We'll see how it compares to its predecessor. Truly, it has nowhere else to go but up, even if it's barely better (or slightly un-worse?).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
While TFU I was the worst EU novel ever IMHO, TFU II was just dull, boring, and uninspired. Read the SPOILERS below if you dare.

First of all, a book based on a video game should give you a feel of what the game scenarios would be like, and while I knew when they were there, they were flat, uninteresting. Too many characters returning from the dead (even the characters in the book commented on this) in fantastical ways, unrealistic situations (a gigantic creature in an arena that can HOLD and eat a rancor, that falls down a pit and climbs back up; Force shields that reminded me of playing in the front yard with one that NO ONE could enter to hit me). Too many SW cameos and several situations that seem to contradict THE MOVIES, not just Expanded Univ. plots, plus very confusing timelines of action. True, this sequel was better than the first, but that's not difficult to do. Sorry, Sean Williams; I like your other SW writing and you are a talented author, but these two are just not good stories.